Type keyword(s) to search

The playlist: Memorable musical moments

The two I think about most are when Johnny plays The Long Run and Andy comes in yelling "It's a hit!  He's playing a hit!!" and Tiny Dancer at the end of the episode where Bailey helps the Russian guy defect.

I've watched this show in syndication and sometimes the different music is ok, but many times it simply isn't the same. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't remember what this lead into, but I keep flashing on this scene where Johnny was singing along to Van Morrison's "Caravan" and thumping on his chest along with the bass line-- I think protesters burst in on him in the middle of it, or something,

(after researching a little) No, I think it was Carlson's kid.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
(edited)

I've got to mention this one, when Carlson walks into the booth while Johnny's playing Pink Floyd:

Carlson: Do I hear dogs barking on that thing?

Johnny: I do.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Love 4

Les getting ready for his date with Jennifer to "Hot Blooded" 

OMG, postgasm A thousand times yes. I can't hear even a snippet of this song without seeing Les pulling on that stupid toupee.

Edited by bunnywithanaxe
  • Love 2

Les getting ready for his date with Jennifer to "Hot Blooded"

OMG, postgasm A thousand times yes. I can't hear even a snippet of this song without seeing Led pulling on that stupid toupee.

Yes!  Same here.  That song will always bring up that scene for me for the rest of my life.

• Love 2

Hey, you're young and swinging

No time to think about tomorrow

But there's no denying it

Some day you're going to buy it

All these years later, and it just hit me that the family name in that funeral business was a joke:  Ferryman.  Ferry Man.  As in Charon, the guy who ferrys the dead across the river Styx in Greek mythology.

• Love 6

Saw the one with Johnny blowing off his date with  Bailey to be with Buffy. I had not seen  (or even thought about) the episode in decades but I instantly knew to listen for Earth, Wind & Fire and "After the Love is Gone". I was surprised how well that song worked in that situation and how I knew to listen for it. Best news was that it wasn't changed!

• Love 2

I remember the time Andy was filling in for Venus and using this bizarre "black" accent, but just could not get the music to align with his patter.

Andy: Now it's time to get funky!

Q: "I Am Woman," Helen Reddy

• Love 2
Yes, the first 2 things I looked for among the list of songs was Elton John (for Tiny Dance) and Foreigner ( for Hot Blooded).and the artists are both listed so that looks promising.

I didn't see Pink Floyd on the list yet.  Hoping that's just an oversight.   But I'm glad to see Earth, Wind and Fire on the list, because I love "After the Love Has Gone".

On Amazon, the ad for the Shout DVD's says that they'll contain more than 70% of the original music.  From the list, I'm thinking that's a cautious estimate and it'll be higher than that  But I hope that at some point, Shout posts a list of the music they couldn't get.  I'll probably get the DVD's anyway, but I'd like to be prepared.

C'mon everybody! "Travel with the nowhere band!!!" All the coked-up DJ's are playing that awesome song non-stop!

I can't forget the "punk band" "Scum of the Earth" whose music in real life was a mediocre band headed by ex-Yes keyboardist Tony Kaye, i.e. the exact opposite of punk.

• Love 2

I've been watching this on Antenna TV. Tonight I watched the episode where Mr. Carson's wife finds out she's pregnant. When I watched it 'live' back in the 70's, I swear Venus played Thank Heaven For Little Girls at the end of the show. On tonight's episode, he played We've Only Just Begun. God, I forgot how good this show is (was).

Edited by marleyfan

I've been watching this on Antenna TV. Tonight I watched the episode where Mr. Carson's wife finds out she's pregnant. When I watched it 'live' back in the 70's, I swear Venus played Thank Heaven For Little Girls at the end of the show. On tonight's episode, he played We've Only Just Begun. God, I forgot how good this show is (was).

Is this maybe the same rights issue they had with the earlier DVD releases (before this most recent one)?  I mean my assumption is that the version available to an outlet like Antenna TV is far more likely to not have had the rights issues resolved.

Edited by Kromm

I think the episode originally had "Thank Heaven for Little Girls". I haven't seen it in a long time (don't get Antenna TV, damnit!), but IIRC, Venus was holding the Gigi soundtrack album while the song was playing. 

• Love 1

I think the episode originally had "Thank Heaven for Little Girls". I haven't seen it in a long time (don't get Antenna TV, damnit!), but IIRC, Venus was holding the Gigi soundtrack album while the song was playing. 

I think you are right about the song, and yes, Venus is holding the Gigi album, but on the new DVDs, they play The Carpenters.