Type keyword(s) to search

The Mixing Board: WKRP On DVD

The linked Entertainment Weekly article includes a list of artists, and Pink Floyd is conspicuously absent:

Here’s a more or less complete list of acts from the soundtrack:
AC/DC
Herb Alpert
Ashford & Simpson
Joan Baez
Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band
Pat Benatar
George Benson
Blondie
Booker T And The MG’s
Boston
Alicia Bridges
Jackson Browne
Donald Byrd
Carl Carlton
The Cars
Gene Chandler
Ray Charles
Chic
Chicago
Eric Clapton
The Coasters
Joe Cocker
Elvis Costello
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Crosby, Stills Nash & Young
Christopher Cross
Derek And The Dominos
Detective
Bo Diddley
The Doors
Dr. John
Gene Dunlap
The Durocs
Bob Dylan
Earth, Wind & Fire
Flying
Foreigner
Marvin Gaye
The Go-Gos
Grateful Dead
Bill Haley And His Comets
Buddy Holly
Bob James
Jefferson Starship
Waylon Jennings
Elton John
Janis Joplin
Greg Kihn Band
Albert King
B.B. King
Evelyn “Champagne” King
Freddie King
The Knack
Kool And the Gang
Jerry Lee Lewis
Huey Lewis & The News
Little River Band
Living Voices
Kenny Loggins
Nick Lowe
Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers
Chuck Mangione
Bob Marley
Paul McCartney and Wings
Delbert McClinton
Eddie Money
The Monotones
Van Morrison
Gary Myrick And the Figures
Ron Nagle
Randy Newman
Olivia Newton-John
Ted Nugent
The O’Jays
Carl Perkins
Tom Petty
Wilson Pickett
The Police
Jean-Luc Ponty
Elvis Presley
The Pretenders
Quarterflash
Queen
Otis Redding
Little Richard
Lionel Richie
Kenny Rogers
The Rolling Stones
Linda Ronstadt
Sam & Dave
Bob Seger
The Sherbs
The Sir Douglas Quintet
Bruce Springsteen
Edwin Starr
Steely Steely Dan
The Stone City Band
Styx
Supertramp
James Taylor
Carla Thomas
Toto
Pete Townshend
Tubes
Luther Vandross
Junior Walker
Grover Washington, Jr.
The Who
Stevie Wonder
Lauren Wood
Neil Young

I noticed that Pink Floyd wasn't there, too.  I also saw that The Eagles weren't on there and, there was one episode--either the one where Johnny got the baby, or the one when his daughter visited--where he played The Long Run.  I think that was the one where Andy ran in shouting "It's a hit!  He's playing a hit!". 

Am I remembering that correctly?

I'm so excited about this news, though.

• Love 2

Regarding the overall quality of the DVDs and the question of whether the episodes would be edited like the initial release, Shout responded this way:

"We created our DVDs from the best available sources and have mastered them as true to their original quality as possible. As is the goal with all of our TV on DVD releases, we did not utilize any cut-for-syndication versions in this set. These are not the same versions that are currently being broadcast in syndication or that were used on the previous WKRP DVD set.”

• Love 2

where he played The Long Run.  I think that was the one where Andy ran in shouting "It's a hit!  He's playing a hit!".

Correct episode and I am bummed that it is not on there-I could have sworn that it was in the syndicated version I saw a few weeks ago

• Love 1
I pre-ordered the set through Amazon, and apparently, it was delivered today!  I know what I'll be doing tonight...

How's the music?  Are The Eagles and Pink Floyd also included?  Anything noticeable missing that affects any of the episodes?

• Love 1

How could they make a joke about Pink Floyd's "Dogs" without playing the song?

And what kind of crazy AM station in the 70's played Pink Floyd's "Dogs"?

If the situation involved Johnny, he was always getting shit from Andy about going off the playlist.

• Love 1

I got the dvds for Christmas and we watched last night.  The Pink Floyd scene is mostly there.  You hear the dogs and Carlson does ask Johnny if he hears dogs barking.  It looks like the only part cut was Carlson asking who the orchestra was and Johnny saying "Pink Floyd".

• Love 2

I was very excited to hear about this release. While it's not perfect, it's a vast improvement over the Season 1 DVD and edited versions of the show that wound up in syndication. Seriously thinking about splurging on this. Any feedback from people who got it for Christmas?

As I noted above, I had pre-ordered them and watched the entire series once I received them.  Yes, there are still a few songs that are different, but they kept most of it, and I think it's definitely worth having them.  They did a decent job of working around the Pink Floyd "Dogs" issue, and that was always one of my favorite scenes, so I'm happy with the way they handled it.  You won't get anything better than this, and I think they are absolutely worth the money for a WKRP fan.

I'm working my way through the box set and so far I am quite happy. There are lots of bits I haven't seen since the show first ran and they really did get most of the music. There definitely is stuff they weren't able to get the rights to, but as Moose135 says, they were able to work around. I'm quite happy with my purchase. I was hoping for more in the way of extras, but I guess you can't have everything.

• Love 2

After watching "Young Master Carlson" on syndication, I thought the original series had used the memorable trumpet theme from the movie "Patton". This sounded more like a synthesizer.