Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/16/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: Jimmy Kimmel (ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!").

Tuesday:  Ellie Kemper ("Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt"); Keegan-Michael Key ("The Angry Birds Movie").

Wednesday:  Anthony Anderson (ABC's "black-ish").

Thursday:  Margaret Cho; Jenna Bush ("Our Great Big Backyard").

Friday: Connie Britton (ABC's "Nashville"). (The picture they used of her is awful)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Nashville was just cancelled, so I wonder what she'll talk about? I hope she won't announce she's returning to American Horror Story. Not a fan of her (as far as her acting goes).

Connie Britton (always seemed so intense) & Claire Bowen (her accent made my teeth ache) didn't sell their characters to me, but I did like the show & wanted to see how Hayden "worked out" with Derek Hough.  Oh well ....

• Love 1

Just an FYI -- I have Xfinity/Comcast and The View is on my list for "record all new shows." However, I noticed that even though this week's shows are new, the program guide didn't pick them up. I had to schedule them manually. If you are someone who likes to record the show, you might want to double check this week (if you have Xfinity/Comcast).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

Just an FYI -- I have Xfinity/Comcast and The View is on my list for "record all new shows." However, I noticed that even though this week's shows are new, the program guide didn't pick them up. I had to schedule them manually. If you are someone who likes to record the show, you might want to double check this week (if you have Xfinity/Comcast).

I have Ixfinity/Comcast as well, and my dvr recorded all shows without my having to manually record. 

What the hell did Whoopi mean, "I can't talk about marijuana." What does that mean? And please....we really don't want to hear about your "smell." <Shudder>

Damn! They literally JUST got back from commercials and now they're breaking AGAIN!!! THAT'S FIVE BLOODY MINUTES OF AIR TIME!!!!!

I must start taping this because I tape everything else and for that very reason. Seriously...how the hell do they get away with so many commercials?!!! Annoying as hell. And speaking of annoying, I see Michelle is back.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

What the hell did Whoopi mean, "I can't talk about marijuana." What does that mean? And please....we really don't want to hear about your "smell." <Shudder>

I think Whoopi is involved in some marijuana business-like a dispensary or a tool for smoking -not sure too lazy to Google-. I remember reading something about it a while back and I guess her talking about it is some kind of conflict. ) I am assuming.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's not easy to make Hitler funny, but Joy sticking her finger under her nose and giving the arm salute made me LOL.

I also got a smile out of Whoopi shooting down Paula when she suggested God rewards people by letting them win the lottery because He approves of them and what they will do with the money. I hate that kind of thinking and I am glad Whoop pointed out that the flip side of Paula's argument is that there are people God isn't paying attention to (and they miss out).  Paula tried to claim she "was not alluding to that" but, ahem ... yeah you ARE, sis.  You suggested God favors certain people and they get special rewards, and it necessarily follows that there will be people less favored who don't get those rewards.  Deny you meant that, but it is implicit in your reasoning if you bother to think about it (not that Paula seems to bother thinking about things too much).   I guess the ugly flip side of some of Paula's religious beliefs trouble her or something.  Maybe she should reconsider some things. 

Perhaps it was another one of her lame attempts to be cute or funny or something, but I got another hoot out of Paula implying the evidence of God's preferential treatment was that the woman who won received the numbers she played in a magical dream.  Psst, Paula ... ten bazillion other people get their numbers from magical dreams too, and they end up LOSING.  But I guess that's just the Lord's way of tricking people into running up lottery pots so He can award them to someone more deserving.  Yeah, that's it.  Well, played God ... well played!  You could just drop a suitcase full of money on people's doorsteps if you wanted, but making people rich this way is much more fun! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 18

yeah, anyone who is religious "prays"  to win - in Vegas, at the racetrack, the poker table, the lottery, and  those little internet gambling cafes.    When someone wins, it's not proof that their religion is better, or they are better, or God likes them more.  Atheists also gamble, and sometimes even win. 

• Love 11

I wonder if Paula thinks the Devil is behind atheists winning because he wants them to fund evil things with their prize money, hmmm ... 

I'm getting the feeling that the other panelists are losing patience with Paula, and/or that they have stopped letting her get away with things because she is new or "nice."  Joy and Whoopi in particular.  Heck, even Raven shot down her nonsense about Hillary Clinton vs. Trump "evolving" last week.  They are all calling her out for saying dumb things more and more  often, and they don't always play along with her dopey little jokes anymore.  She's being treated like the annoying little kid from down the street that she is.  And you could see her get testy today, too, when Whoop was challenging her.  She did not like someone pointing out the flip side of what she was saying. Not at all.  

I don't get the impression that Paula comes from a free-thinking place where different ideas are shared and explored and challenged very much, lol.  The process seems to bring out the worst in her - she comes across as very judgmental of the ideas of others, and when her ideas are challenged it makes her snippy and defensive.  It must be hard to work with her on a show like this. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm always slightly appalled when fellow Christians think of God as a vending machine. My version of religion says that it's up to people to get with God's program, not "insert prayers, get what you want in return."

I was reading a bio of Kirk Cameron today, and he mentioned he had been an atheist, and the home in which he was raised was not one in which a religion was taught and practiced. Kind of surprising to me, given his religious fervor/insanity, and the fact that CCB's entire repetoire is "God, my family, and Fuller House."

Edited by ChicagoCita
English, she is a difficult language sometimes.
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm always slightly appalled when fellow Christians think of God as a vending machine. My version of religion says that it's up to people to get with God's program, not "insert prayers, get what you want in return."

I was reading a bio of Kirk Cameron today, and he mentioned he had been an atheist, and the home in which he was raised was not one in which a religion was taught and practiced. Kind of surprising to me, given his religious fervor/insantity, and the fact that it's CCB's entire repetoire is "God, my family, and Fuller House."

My bold.  I think they are your Born Again Christians.  Not raised with it, but found religion later in life.  (I think CCB's husband introduced her to "religion".)  Just sayin'.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I also got a smile out of Whoopi shooting down Paula when she suggested God rewards people by letting them win the lottery because He approves of them and what they will do with the money. I hate that kind of thinking and I am glad Whoop pointed out that the flip side of Paula's argument is that there are people God isn't paying attention to (and they miss out).

This is one of my top ten (of the thousands!) pet peeves -- When people claim God intervened for them and not others. You see it on the news every time there is a mass casualty. It implies the survivors of a tragedy had God's grace or lottery winners are favored but not the others. It's magical thinking. With that said, I do believe in a Higher Being.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

How did the mean tweet nonsense go today?

I thought it was really awkward.  The things Kimmel (or whoever) picked for them to read weren't the usual completely insane tweets that celebs read which come across as so funny.  It was just bland stuff about how bad a job the hosts do.  It rang way too familiar - and accurate - to be "funny" in the way the reading of Mean Tweets usually is.

Saying "I wish Whoopi would leave the show, then leave the planet!" or "I wish the alien that has taken over Paula's body would leave" was just not up to Mean Tweets standards imo.  Someone should have scanned this board for better material.  Because it's here, lol, it's here! 

The hosts being wet blankets about the whole thing didn't help.  They didn't have the sense of humor about it celebs usually have.  Paula didn't seem to understand her Mean Tweet and pretended to pout about it or something.  It was not a funny reaction.  Whoopi tried to make a joke of it, turning to the camera and saying "you first" after she read her Mean Tweet.  But it barely brought a ripple of laughter from the audience.   

I missed what Joy's tweet was.  Does anyone remember if she did a better job?  I would think she could pull it off, given decent material.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I think Whoopi is involved in some marijuana business-like a dispensary or a tool for smoking -not sure too lazy to Google-. I remember reading something about it a while back and I guess her talking about it is some kind of conflict. ) I am assuming.

Yeah, her comment pretty much confirmed that article to be on the money.

8 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I agree. The only "reward" (although I don't really like calling it that) is supposed to be God's love, I thought, but not all people in a religion believe the same things, I guess. As far as chance goes, good and bad happen to everyone regardless of whether they are good or bad. Paula's thinking swerves into "The tornado spared my house because I'm more Christian than my neighbor" territory (ie, they deserved to die and I didn't).

Whoopi’s mean tweet was the funniest, but the way Joy read hers made me laugh. You know, at one time I didn’t like Jimmy Kimmel, but I’ve really come around to him over the years. And he’s really handsome these days.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

My bold.  I think they are your Born Again Christians.  Not raised with it, but found religion later in life.  (I think CCB's husband introduced her to "religion".)  Just sayin'.

CCB said a few weeks ago on the show that Kirk introduced them to religion. I wonder who it was that introduced him to it? 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

CCB said a few weeks ago on the show that Kirk introduced them to religion. I wonder who it was that introduced him to it? 

Thanks Jaded!  I wasn't entirely sure who introduced them, so your info is interesting!

• Love 1
(edited)

Mean Tweets on Jimmy Kimmel is often hilarious; The Spew edition of this bit was not.   For one thing, the tweets weren't really mean and by mean, I mean outrageously so like on Kimmel (except maybe Whoopi's).  But the entertaining part is how the actors/celebrities read them.    Whoopi is the big actor and comedian yet she couldn't be bothered to make hers entertaining.  Joy did the best job and she had the lamest tweet.  Paula's was dumb, so was Michelle's. I linked an example oyouf a successful bit. 

Did Whoopi really ask the other co-hosts if they dressed up to be on TV?   After all these years?   I liked how they were all like, "Duh."   Yeah, Whoopi, believe it or not not everyone shows up looking like they just rolled out of bed and got dressed out of the hamper.    I guess dressing up or just taking some extra care (all the women looked nice today) for your high paying TV job is a foreign concept to Miss Whoopi. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

I’m glad Whoopi and Joy rode Jed’s ass. They keep scraping the bottom of the barrel by bringing her back.

Re: Mariah—I guess hyper-bowl is lost on Paula. I don’t like reality TV, but I might end up seeing an episode or two of her show. God knows Wendy Williams will be watching every second with a microscope, slobber running down her chin with excitement at all the molehills she can turn into mountains on her shitshow.

• Love 4

Why am I not surprised that Raven would think that yet another stupid "reality" show about Mariah - a vapid, shallow, rude, entitled has been who dresses like an 18 year old hooker, would be worth watching for five minutes? 

Paula and Jed - their Trump groupie act is really wearing thin. 

And I see Whoopi's hideous scarf has crawled back out of the trash.

• Love 9
(edited)

@dinkysquid beat me to it -  THE SCARF IS BACK!!!

Paula and Jed - talk about polls that say people in certain states think Trump will do a better job with the economy.   That doesn't make it so! 

And yes, Trump has business experience -  his business experience consists of making HIMSELF billions, while taking advantage of others.  HOw does that experience translate to running an entire country?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7

Keegan-Michael Key talked being inspired by a character Whoopi played - A black woman with long blonde hair.  And he was inspired by the comic aspect because "that's not a thing that exists in the world!"   Yeah, a black woman with long blonde hair is HILARIOUS - as he's sitting next to RAVEN.

• Love 4

Thank goodness Joy was there to counter Jedi and Paula. I found myself fuming when that Jedi person was talking, along with clueless Paula, and Joy was there to represent me! Whoopi did a decent job too, in her shouty way. Is that why they keep bringing Jedi back, to stir things up? i hope they aren't considering her as a co-host. She's said in the past she didn't like Trump, and now she seems to be pushing his agenda, nonsensical as it is.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, sometimes it's almost like having Bitsy hasselbeck back on.  "what about Obama? What about Reverend wright?"  Is now "what about Hillary? What about her emails?"

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5
(edited)

I didn't see the whole show but my favorite part is Paula's "outrage" at Mariah calling her [third] wedding, "the most important thing ever"  because that's the exact language Paula is always defending when it come's from Trump.*   Paula is okay with all the hyper -Bowl from the Republican nominee but not some cable reality show? 

Jed got points from me when she invoked Madonna's 1991 Truth or Dare but lost them on another 1990's topic.   Too bad she doesn't remember how prosperous the U.S.  economy became in the 90's during the Clinton administration.   I was disappointed that Joy didn't point out the surplus Clinton left at the end of his term. 

*although there are hundreds of examples I was thinking of  Trump's recent comment to the AP re: his taxes:   “I really don’t, and I’ll tell you why,” he said. “You don’t learn anything from a tax return. I think nobody knows more about taxes than I do, maybe in the history of the world. Nobody knows more about taxes. You can learn very little from a tax return.” He also said he doesn’t believe voters have much interest in the issue.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, Fatkat said:

Paula was surprised that the other cohosts would let someone who is late for a plane cut in the security line. What an asshole.

I think it's "little" stuff like this that can reveal the character of a person more than anything else. 

• Love 9

Paula was surprised that the other cohosts would let someone who is late for a plane cut in the security line. What an asshole.

I think it's "little" stuff like this that can reveal the character of a person more than anything else. 

I agree with that.  Paula tries to appear to be a nice person but I definitely get an insincere vibe.    There is a mean streak in her.  Much like the one Elisabeth had. 

• Love 6

Paula tries to appear to be a nice person but I definitely get an insincere vibe.    There is a mean streak in her.  Much like the one Elisabeth had. 

I wouldn't say she has a mean streak like Bitsy but I think she either likes a person or doesn't.  There is no middle ground with her.

That is EXACTLY the kind of attitude I would expect from Paula - needlessly uptight and prissy with an undercurrent of nastiness. There is an ugly energy about her just the way there was with Hasselbeck. 

I can totally see Paula (or Bits, for that matter) in the security line refusing to let some harried passenger cut in front of her to make their flight, even though it would not effect her at all.  Just on principle.  Smiling and saying "you should have got here sooner, planned better ... I'm not going to wait in line two extra minutes just to help you." Just so she could feel superior.   

While we are on the subject of airport security, would someone please tell Raven that if she is going to lecture people about following the rules regarding taking breast milk on planes, she might want to familiarize herself with those rules beforehand.  First she said you can't take breast milk on a plane (WRONG), and when corrected she said that people needed to follow the rules about it, then, as if she has seen breast milk causing all kinds of trouble in security or something.

But I strongly suspect that what Raven saw were people following the rules.  Travelers are supposed to tell security they are carrying breast milk and it gets put it through the X ray separately.  Or they may or open it and test a small portion to confirm it is not explosive.  If you don't want your milk opened or X rayed, they will do other procedures to screen the milk and you will get a pat down and they will probably take a look at the rest of your carry on bags.  Those are the rules as spelled out on the TSA website.  

I'm guessing that when Raven witnessed these extra procedures, she just assumed that people with breast milk had not followed the rules. She really needs to stick a sock in it.  Breast feeding is difficult enough (especially while traveling) without some ignorant brat complaining about how she's being inconvenienced by it somehow.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Regarding the discussion about the TSA lines and not having enough agents, I suggest that the FAA train and use the national guard as a temporary help to shorten long security lines until more permanent citizens can be hired.

Edited by Love2dance
Repeat of words in text
  • Love 2

We have TSA Pre-check. But the news this morning said even the pre-check lines are now wrapped around the building at some airports. 

I wish the View ladies would discuss the TSA problem and solutions further (to stay on topic. ?).

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay, so everyone here seems to enjoy a nice multi viewed debate when it is about everything BUT politics. I guess the View just shouldn't talk politics. I get you all don't like Trump (either do I, I am personally for Hillary) but do you all just want a Hillary lovefest the whole show???? Obviously Joy, Whoopi and Sunny love Hillary and obviously Raven leans liberal and Paula is for Trump but if they are going to talk politics they need to have an actual discussion not just "yay hillary, boo trump". Both Candidates are obviously very flawed and very disliked by many so why not discuss it. Jedediah isn't pro trump, she is just anti hillary which should be expected from a conservative. Idk if you guys don't want a debate then they obviously just should not talk Trump or Hillary because Whoopi tends to be so polarizing, it makes Jedediah and more specifically Paula step up their game. Whoopi and Raven are about as educated and obnoxious with their views on politics and opinions as Paula and Candace. 

Edited by Bmarsh
  • Love 5

You have a point Bmarsh. I suppose that Trump is so disgusting to me that I can't see how defending him as a businessman with no political experience makes him qualified to be president, and that's what Jedi and Paula were promoting. I guess I should mute the TV every time his name comes up to avoid extreme agitation. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bmarsh said:

Okay, so everyone here seems to enjoy a nice multi viewed debate when it is about everything BUT politics. I guess the View just shouldn't talk politics. I get you all don't like Trump (either do I, I am personally for Hillary) but do you all just want a Hillary lovefest the whole show???? Obviously Joy, Whoopi and Sunny love Hillary and obviously Raven leans liberal and Paula is for Trump but if they are going to talk politics they need to have an actual discussion not just "yay hillary, boo trump". Both Candidates are obviously very flawed and very disliked by many so why not discuss it. Jedediah isn't pro trump, she is just anti hillary which should be expected from a conservative. Idk if you guys don't want a debate then they obviously just should not talk Trump or Hillary because Whoopi tends to be so polarizing, it makes Jedediah and more specifically Paula step up their game. Whoopi and Raven are about as educated and obnoxious with their views on politics and opinions as Paula and Candace. 

I agree; I don't mind a real conversation about politics but I don't think this show is up to a discussion of ANYTHING lasting more than three minutes.  

Personally, I would be okay if this show stopped talking about the presidential election.  I've long thought The Spew's political conversations were inept at best.  During the three fall months leading to both the 2008 and 2012 elections I stopped watching entirely because I didn't want to listen to Bitsy's ridiculous remarks about it and frankly Joy's disappointing willingness/ability to counter.   

But let's face it, The Spew considers itself some sort of political platform half the time so it's not going to stop.  I think this year has been different without Bitsy - when she was on every political discussion seemed like a battle to the death - this group [especially with Sunny and Jed) don't come off that way to me.  Yes, it's a serious topic but this is not a serious show at all so I'm more able to let it roll off.      And I'll take Paula over Elisabeth anyday for reasons I've already repeated many times but mostly because when she's not trying to talk politics I don't mind her - especially when she's poking the bully that Whoopi can certainly become which I mostly enjoy.

Last week I read an opinion piece cautioning Americans from talking about the presidential race with their friends and family because this race has been so ugly and will only continue to get nastier.   This was already a country divided (politically, economically, racially) and now the divisions extend to even to members inside the same political parties.   

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

I agree; I don't mind a real conversation about politics but I don't think this show is up to a discussion of ANYTHING lasting more than three minutes.  

Personally, I would be okay if this show stopped talking about the presidential election.  I've long thought The Spew's political conversations were inept at best.  During the three fall months leading to both the 2008 and 2012 elections I stopped watching entirely because I didn't want to listen to Bitsy's ridiculous remarks about it and frankly Joy's disappointing willingness/ability to counter.   

But let's face it, The Spew considers itself some sort of political platform half the time so it's not going to stop.  I think this year has been different without Bitsy - when she was on every political discussion seemed like a battle to the death - this group [especially with Sunny and Jed) don't come off that way to me.  Yes, it's a serious topic but this is not a serious show at all so I'm more able to let it roll off.      And I'll take Paula over Elisabeth anyday for reasons I've already repeated many times but mostly because when she's not trying to talk politics I don't mind her - especially when she's poking the bully that Whoopi can certainly become which I mostly enjoy.

Last week I read an opinion piece cautioning Americans from talking about the presidential race with their friends and family because this race has been so ugly and will only continue to get nastier.   This was already a country divided (politically, economically, racially) and now the divisions extend to even to members inside the same political parties.   

I agree. I like the View because they will talk topics other than the fluff that "the Talk" and other daytime show shows talk about BUT this election just seems like too much. Im glad they have been limiting it to one segment instead of the entire show lately. But again I think these episodes and segments go sooooo much more smoothly with Joy as moderator. SERIOUSLY I AM SO DONE WITH WHOOPI. even if Joy disagrees, she will let everyone talk instead of the lecturing. I know I complain about her a lot but I am so done with Whoopi. She doesn't deserve her ridiculous salary let alone what Joy is making, and at least Joy shows up on Friday and does the after shows. UGH

• Love 8

When the original panel was on (well the one with Lisa Ling) I didn't mind when they talked about politics.  They could have an adult discussion about it and nobody became obnoxious.  I knew which way Joy and Star tilted but Meredith and Lisa held their cards close to their vest so I never really knew where they stood but that was OK.  But once Elisabeth and Rosie O were sitting at the same table the dynamic changed.  It became all about my team is better than your team and now it has turned into a blood sport.

I don't mind listening to someone who opposing views but when their opposing views are simply "yeah well what about Hillary" I get tired of hearing it.  And for the record anyone who can sit at the table and support Donald Trump for no other reason than he is going to be the GOP nominee I really do not with to hear another word come out of your mouth since clearly you are unable to think for yourself.

• Love 13