Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/16/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Raven was seriously amped-up before, during, and after the Angry Birds promo.  Seriously, girl, get a life. Or grow up.  

I love Key and Peele, so I enjoyed hearing from him (despite ass-kissing Whoops as an inspiration).  

Raven, though, it's  a fricking game/kid movie--wayyyy after it's time of popularity. I don't even see the stuffed birds in the sale bins anymore at WalMart.      

Raven is also back to laughing hysterically at Whoops --no matter what she says.  Blech.

Also, anyone else mute the beginning of show, and between commercials as they come back, because the music and audience noise is so loud (--prompted I'm sure)?  The din is annoying as Paula's inane comments about……anything.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 5
(edited)

Sherri was on the Wendy Williams Show YESTERDAY boasting how she was done with The View and it was like sleeping with an ex going back. Naturally she's on today. Did she forget she signed a contract or did she just want to look good in front of Wendy? Or did ABC remind her of her contract by making her show up today? 

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Sherri was on the Wendy Williams Show YESTERDAY boasting how she was done with The View and it was like sleeping with an ex going back. Naturally she's on today. Did she forget she signed a contract or did she just want to look good in front of Wendy? Or did ABC remind her of her contract by making her show up today? 

Sherri's as dumb as a rock.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

When the original panel was on (well the one with Lisa Ling) I didn't mind when they talked about politics.  They could have an adult discussion about it and nobody became obnoxious.  I knew which way Joy and Star tilted but Meredith and Lisa held their cards close to their vest so I never really knew where they stood but that was OK.  But once Elisabeth and Rosie O were sitting at the same table the dynamic changed.  It became all about my team is better than your team and now it has turned into a blood sport.

I don't mind listening to someone who opposing views but when their opposing views are simply "yeah well what about Hillary" I get tired of hearing it.  And for the record anyone who can sit at the table and support Donald Trump for no other reason than he is going to be the GOP nominee I really do not with to hear another word come out of your mouth since clearly you are unable to think for yourself.

Yes, I wouldn't mind at all if they spoke about politics in a thoughtful way.  Instead, what we get is just repeating talking points.  I'm not sure that the women defending Trump are fully believing what they are saying.  There's that sense that they were cast as "conservatives"  and part of their role is to present the Republican point of view.  I get the sense that it's not as heartfelt and genuine as the show producers want it to be.  

ANd to me, it goes back to the lame-ass attempt of the show to migrate away from women of different backgrounds speaking genuinely about their thoughts, feelings, and experiences, and toward this polarizing "liberal vs. conservative" battle. 

It's a little reminiscent, for me, of being on a high school debate team, and having to be prepared to defend a position that you do not whole-heartedly believe in, because that's the side you are assigned to take, regardless of what you really think.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Also, anyone else mute the beginning of show, and between commercials as they come back, because the music and audience noise is so loud (--prompted I'm sure)?  The din is annoying as Paula's inane comments about……anything.

YES! I cannot stand all the forced enthusiasm and loud cheering-Whoopi yelling. No. I definitely mute it.

• Love 6
(edited)

I found it interesting that they talked about how mentioning Trump is causing tension in their own families. I've never had this experience before either. I've been trying to avoid saying even the slightest thing to steer the conversation towards politics with several family members, because I know if we start we'll most likely end up with major hostilities. That's what happens when you have a candidate who openly hates entire demographics and plans to make discrimination a part of their policies.

I have no interest in Jedidiah. She says she hates Trump, but then she talks up his experience on the show and makes him out to be better than the only person competing with him. So then why does she say she isn't voting for him again? Or was that just Jed being a liar to get her foot in the door by appearing more understanding and less racist/sexist than Republicans already on the panel (and in the media)?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 3
(edited)

Has Raven ever been married? Shut up, Raven. WTF do you know about what causes divorce?

Sunny? WTF? You just sound stupid. Also-methinks Mr. Sunny or Dr. Sunny, if you will, has already cheated and that is how she can say that for sure. Another thing Sunny-never say never. Famous types who have made these kind of definitive statements often ending up eating their words (not so famous types, too).

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Sherri's as dumb as a rock.

C'mon, MC. There's no need to insult rocks.

I'm just now turning on today's show. My head may explode from Sherri's already beaming, fake smile.

• Love 8

Last week I asked where's Sherri and now she shows up.  I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Backformore I agree about some people defending a point they don't necessarily agree with.  Wendy Williams says that the hosts on  panel talk shows are assigned a role.  Sherri was the horny single mom/clown, Elisabeth was the conservative christian right wing mom, I think Joy has always been pretty authentic, but I have seen her hold her tongue many times (perhaps someone in her ear).

• Love 6

Well, of course Megyn Kelly was gonna softball the Trump interview.She's a FAUX head, and of course Trump would never agree to do it if his feet were held to the fire. Raven was close to being correct there. That interview was never going to be more than FAUX's attempt to garner more favor for him. And the mere suggestion that Kelly is the next Babs is ludicrous. Babs may have had credibility of asking the "hard" questions once, but that was eons ago

• Love 4

I did like how Raven clenched her lips when Joy said Barbara asked the Kardashians, "You're known for nothing. Why are you here?" I'm starting to think Joy throws things out about them just to annoy Raven at this point. (But so would I!)

• Love 11
(edited)

I'm really over these relationship discussions they have.  Whoopi has been divorced how many times?  The only kind of relationship she is an expert on is failed ones.  Raven has never been married - I don't even know if she has had a long-term relationship - but she talks like a bitter, jaded old lady.   It is sad to see in such a young person.  Sunny has this weird Pollyanna approach to the subject that seems to have little to do with reality and is based more on dictum than life experience.  Joy's not so bad when she takes the subject seriously.  But Sherri, good lord.  She has been mowed down by the love bus so many times I feel embarrassed for her whenever the subject comes up.  

And I wish they would stop delivering lectures about the language people use to explain their feelings and expectations about relationships.  I think most people throw around phrases like "complete me" and "make me happy" casually because (1) they're familiar, and (2) it's hard for many people to articulate their emotions and needs, so they resort to standard, romantically empty phrases to express themselves.  

I seriously don't think anyone is really communicating that they feel like only half a human being when they say they want someone to complete them.  I think they mean they want someone to share certain things with, someone to turn to in times of trouble - and it's kind of tough to share things with someone if you are alone, by definition.  But wanting someone to share life with doesn't mean you are not a complete person on your own. And wanting someone to be there for hard times does not necessarily mean you are not capable of taking care of yourself.

And when people say someone doesn't make them happy, I think what they are saying is that they do not find the company of the person they are with fun, stimulating, satisfying, etc.  It doesn't mean they are not happy on their own as a person, or that they are looking for someone else to provide their happiness for them. 

I just don't think all this language stuff is as profound as they are making it out to be.  They are attaching way too much gravitas to people's word choices.  But I guess it is easier for them to sit there and have yet another conversation where they over-analyze the same semantics than it is to have an informed political discussion that goes deeper than sound bites and talking points, so this is what we are stuck with. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 15
10 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm really over these relationship discussions they have.  Whoopi has been divorced how many times?  The only kind of relationship she is an expert on is failed ones.  Raven has never been married - I don't even know if she has had a long-term relationship - but she talks like a bitter, jaded old lady.  I don't know where it comes from and frankly, I don't really care.  But it is sad to see in such a young person.  Sunny has this weird Pollyanna approach to the subject that seems to have little to do with reality and is based more on dictum than life experience.  Joy's not so bad when she takes the subject seriously.  But Sherri, good lord.  She has been mowed down by the love bus so many times I feel embarrassed for her whenever the subject comes up.  

And I wish they would stop delivering lectures about the language people use to explain their feelings and expectations about relationships.  I think most people throw around phrases like "complete me" and "make me happy" casually because (1) they're familiar, and (2) it's hard for many people to articulate their emotions and needs, so they resort to standard, romantically empty phrases to express themselves.  

I seriously don't think anyone is really communicating that they feel like only half a human being when they say they want someone to complete them.  I think they mean they want someone to share certain things with, someone to turn to in times of trouble - and it's kind of tough to share things with someone if you are alone, by definition.  But wanting someone to share life with doesn't mean you are not a complete person on your own. And wanting someone to be there for hard times does not necessarily mean you are not capable of taking care of yourself.

And when people say someone doesn't make them happy, I think what they are saying is that they do not find the company of the person they are with fun, stimulating, satisfying, etc.  It doesn't mean they are not happy on their own as a person, or that they are looking for someone else to provide their happiness for them. 

I just don't think all this language stuff is as profound as they are making it out to be.  They are attaching way too much gravitas to people's word choices.  But I guess it is easier for them to sit there and have yet another conversation where they over-analyze the same semantics than it is to have an informed political discussion that goes deeper than sound bites and talking points, so this is what we are stuck with. 

^^^^  EXACTLY!!  Well said.  ^^^^

• Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have no interest in Jedidiah. She says she hates Trump, but then she talks up his experience on the show and makes him out to be better than the only person competing with him. So then why does she say she isn't voting for him again? Or was that just Jed being a liar to get her foot in the door by appearing more understanding and less racist/sexist than Republicans already on the panel (and in the media)?

I don't know who she or Paula think they're kidding. They will end up voting for Trump. (As will Megyn Kelly.)

I've been having work done on my house so it's been hard to hear much of the show. Were they really talking about whether unhappy people should get divorced?  Wait, did we time travel back to the 50s?

Edited to add: I just heard Sunny is going to be on Jeopardy tomorrow.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've been having work done on my house so it's been hard to hear much of the show. Were they really talking about whether unhappy people should get divorced?  Wait, did we time travel back to the 50s?

The more things change, the more they stay the same apparently. I wonder if they'll discuss whether women and black people should be allowed to vote later this week? Paula and Candace would probably say no.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same apparently. I wonder if they'll discuss whether women and black people should be allowed to vote later this week? Paula and Candace would probably say no.

LOL @TheGreenKnight!  I just snorted wine out my nose on that one! 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Tosia said:

Also, anyone else mute the beginning of show, and between commercials as they come back, because the music and audience noise is so loud (--prompted I'm sure)?  

Yes! I always fast forward the screeching at the beginning of show and each segment. And I don't for a minute believe the audience is making ALL that noise. I think it's augmented. Oh, and when a popular star, especially a dreamy guy is introduced, I also can't get to the remote fast enough. 

• Love 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

Yes! I always fast forward the screeching at the beginning of show and each segment. And I don't for a minute believe the audience is making ALL that noise. I think it's augmented. Oh, and when a popular star, especially a dreamy guy is introduced, I also can't get to the remote fast enough. 

Ha!  You mean you guys don't enjoy Miss Whoopi's "Welcome to The View, Welcome to The View, Welcome to The View y'all"?   Between skipping the intro and all the five minute commercial breaks plus deleting when Stacy starts shilling shit, I can often get through a recorded version in about 20 minutes - sometimes less depending on what I read here first.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

Paula going on again about being "fair and balanced"; why is Fox News' mantra being repeated on ABC? What about how you completely ignored Joy pointing out Trump was similarly accused of rape (and he's the actual person running for president)? But blaming the wife for the husband's crimes is par for the course with Paula. I laughed that Whoopi kept repeating the same thing about Hillary being the one running, but it was worth repeating.

• Love 7

I haven't been active here lately because I decided to switch around to see what else might replace my View viewing. I have watched it since day 1 and loved that Joy came back but I just can't anymore. We are so bombarded from all sides all the time and this group adds zero to any intelligent conversation about politics, religion, even beauty tips. Someone always even disses those beauty tips!

I have actually landed on watching the last hour of the Today Show if I have the TV on. I was really never a fan of Kathy Lee but I really enjoy Hoda and the respect they show for each other is what is missing from The View. The arguing amongst the panel is so often based on zero facts will 100 mph certainty. Raven is the worst of the lot. The show is unwatchable for me anymore and it has taken a lot to change my viewing habits.

• Love 4

Whoopi is too wordy In explaining the whole sexual allegations thing.  

I want to say to Paula - Two candidates - Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.   Donald Trump has been accused of rape.  Hillary Clinton has not. 

• Love 10
Spoiler
1 minute ago, backformore said:

Whoopi is too wordy In explaining the whole sexual allegations thing.  

I want to say to Paula - Two candidates - Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.   Donald Trump has been accused of rape.  Hillary Clinton has not. 

Entirely too much Whoopi today!!  Whoopi pontificating, telling others their opinion, swearing (causing dead air) & generally high-jacking every damn conversation.  I'm SO sick of her.  I really, really hope this is her last year!!!

I don't know what's wrong with "the boards", but strange things are happening!!  Anyone else?

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Entirely too much Whoopi today!!  Whoopi pontificating, telling others their opinion, swearing (causing dead air) & generally high-jacking every damn conversation.  I'm SO sick of her.  I really, really hope this is her last year!!!

I don't know what's wrong with "the boards", but strange things are happening!!  Anyone else?

Yeah, on the Survivor forum, posts are repeating dozens of times.  the boards are goofy today

• Love 1
(edited)

Raven didn't know that we don't vote for Supreme Court Justices. Unbelievable.

Trump's 79 year old sister is a senior federal judge on the US Circuit Court of Appeals. She was called a "radical pro-abortion extremist" by Ted Cruz for a ruling that she made in the past. She's considered a moderate centrist, so therefore I'm sure she's not on any list that was given to Trump by his far right cronies. After reading about her, she seems like an accomplished, rational human being.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 4

Lord, give me strength.  Raven doesn't know that much about "politics" and has to be told we don't get to vote for who is put on the Supreme Court.  So she then announces "oh so it doesn't matter" who is on Trump's list.  Because it's not like we are going to get to vote on it.  Who cares.  And when Paula attempts to explain to her we do get to vote for President and the Senate, who will pick the next Justice, Raven shrugs her off, smirking dismissively.  

Why is this birdbrain on a talk show?  Raven doesn't know ANYTHING and doesn't care when you tell her something.   It makes me want to scream.

And Paula, who I DETEST after today's show ... Yes, Ivana Trump did walk back her rape allegations about The Donald, it's true.  But I can't find any place where she was quoted as saying the story was "a complete fabrication."  What she said was this:

“During a deposition given by me in connection with my matrimonial case, I stated that my husband had raped me,” the Ivana Trump statement said. “[O]n one occasion during 1989, Mr. Trump and I had marital relations in which he behaved very differently toward me than he had during our marriage. As a woman, I felt violated, as the love and tenderness, which he normally exhibited towards me, was absent. I referred to this as a ‘rape,’ but I do not want my words to be interpreted in a literal or criminal sense.”

You can read about it here

To me, that is a far cry from asserting the entire story was a lie made up by some reporter, which is how Paula made it sound.  It could be described as recanting, I acknowledge.  But I have to wonder ... why is Ivana's recantation valid to Paula (so valid that she inflates it into a claim that Ivana called the story is a complete fabrication), but the recantation by Juanita Broaddrick doesn't seem to register? Instead Paula described Broaddrick's story as "never having been disproven" TWICE today, as if the woman's public disavowal of her legally sworn testimony means nothing. 

Paula is just an political whore, there I said it.  YMMV.  She'll say anything to advance the interests of "her side" and it doesn't matter what kind of intellectually inconsistent gymnastics she has to pull to accomplish it.  She makes me SICK.  She has real nerve to complain about Hillary Clinton saying all victims of sexual violence should be believed, because she clearly picks and chooses who she believes based on the politics of the situation.  HYPOCRITE!

• Love 19
23 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Lord, give me strength.  Raven doesn't know that much about "politics" and has to be told we don't get to vote for who is put on the Supreme Court.  So she then announces "oh so it doesn't matter" who is on Trump's list.  Because it's not like we are going to get to vote on it.  Who cares.  And when Paula attempts to explain to her we do get to vote for President and the Senate, who will pick the next Justice, Raven shrugs her off, smirking dismissively.  

Why is this birdbrain on a talk show?  Raven doesn't know ANYTHING and doesn't care when you tell her something.   It makes me want to scream.

And Paula, who I DETEST after today's show ... Yes, Ivana Trump did walk back her rape allegations about The Donald, it's true.  But I can't find any place where she was quoted as saying the story was "a complete fabrication."  What she said was this:

You can read about it here

To me, that is a far cry from asserting the entire story was a lie made up by some reporter, which is how Paula made it sound.  It could be described as recanting, I acknowledge.  But I have to wonder ... why is Ivana's recantation valid to Paula (so valid that she inflates it into a claim that Ivana called the story is a complete fabrication), but the recantation by Juanita Broaddrick doesn't seem to register? Instead Paula described Broaddrick's story as "never having been disproven" TWICE today, as if the woman's public disavowal of her legally sworn testimony means nothing. 

Paula is just an political whore, there I said it.  YMMV.  She'll say anything to advance the interests of "her side" and it doesn't matter what kind of intellectually inconsistent gymnastics she has to pull to accomplish it.  She makes me SICK.  She has real nerve to complain about Hillary Clinton saying all victims of sexual violence should be believed, because she clearly picks and chooses who she believes based on the politics of the situation.  HYPOCRITE!

^^^^ EXACTLY!!! ^^^^

A blonde Trumpette was on Don Lemon's show last night & was spouting the same horse shit.  (I can't believe that people "are allowed" to make statements that are completely false & no one challenges them.)

• Love 8

You have to know a statement is false to challenge it. And none of these dingbats ever know enough about a subject to call BS on anybody.

Sunny may be the possible exception, that is if the topic is the law which is her wheelhouse. She did point out to Paula that there had been a recantation by Juanita Broaddrick.  Paula just didn't give a damn.  Whoopi challenged Paula, too. Same result.  

You can't reason with someone who is just working their agenda.  It's like arguing with a drunk.  It's pointless.

• Love 13

People like Paula (and Elisabeth) will never ever acknowledge their hypocrisy.  It's like Celia Rubenstein said it's pointless arguing with them. They always think what they are saying is valid and whatever we are countering with is just plain wrong.  As much as I am a dyed in the blue Democrat I don't just blindly support Democratic candidates.  If it was a Democrat who was behaving like Trump Paula would be pummeling them every day.  So for her to support Donald Trump as vigorously as she does she either wholeheartedly agrees with his bigoted misogynist views or she just doesn't give a shit what a disaster he would be for this country as president.  Either way it makes her a pretty shit person IMO.

• Love 8

To add to what I posted above - this is how Paula and people like her think about it:

A woman accused Bill Clinton of rape, then re-canted.

"It was never DIS-proven, therefore he must be guilty"

A woman accused Donald Trump of rape, then re-canted.

"It was never PROVEN, therefore he must be innocent."

• Love 13

I think this is the first day where Paula reached Elisabeth levels (as far as souring the whole show) for me. She's always had vile opinions, but the way she laughed condescendingly and insisted only her facts matter while putting a special halo over her head with saying she's being a journalist....! It took longer for me than the rest of you, but I'm over her. I was almost hoping that what little is left of Whoopi's mind had finally snapped and she lunged across the table at her.

• Love 12
(edited)

Paula really needs to stop pulling the journalist card.  If you continue to editorialize then you stop being a journalist.  She isn't just presenting facts.  She is spouting off on things and giving her opinion which journalists aren't supposed to do.  For Christ's sake even Barbara Walters at least tried to give an appearance of impartiality.  If Paula can't do that then she needs to go back to sports where she read scores.  Those are pretty black and white so if she need to add her two cents people won't mind.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 12
(edited)

LOL @ raven saying 6.5 million a season is not a lot of a money for a show with no commercials and that customers pay $8 a month for.

and the after show was almost 18 minutes long today WOW thats 3/4 as long as the actual show lol. I really liked it too even with Raven and Paula there. Joy makes everyone honest, chill and happy!

Edited by Bmarsh
  • Love 2
On 5/18/2016 at 0:25 PM, GiveMeSpace said:

Sunny? WTF? You just sound stupid. Also-methinks Mr. Sunny or Dr. Sunny, if you will, has already cheated and that is how she can say that for sure. Another thing Sunny-never say never. Famous types who have made these kind of definitive statements often ending up eating their words (not so famous types, too).

I had to bring this post from Wednesday show over.....If we believe she believes this then wouldn't a woman who stood by her husband be a saint?  Sorry Hillary Clinton not for you.

6 hours ago, Kenz said:

Raven didn't know that we don't vote for Supreme Court Justices. Unbelievable.

WTF?  Not much more to say.  It is truly unbelievable.

• Love 3

She was on several times in the beginning. More than Padma and Molly Sims anyway.

They ended up pretty much divided by two on Jeopardy--Franken with 20k, Ana with 10k, and Sunny with 5k. Ana and Sunny got around 10k for their charity anyway though. The questions were mostly easy. Franken probably would've got more if he hadn't been so slow and went for higher numbers when they were low on time.

• Love 1

Sherri on Wednesday's show really pissed me off.  She has always been anti-gay because of her Christian beliefs.   BUT - when it comes to divorce, well, God wouldn't want her to be unhappy!   It's my pet peeve with people who use their Christianity to judge other people's behavior, but don't hold themselves to the same standards.

• Love 17
11 hours ago, backformore said:

Sherri on Wednesday's show really pissed me off.  She has always been anti-gay because of her Christian beliefs.   BUT - when it comes to divorce, well, God wouldn't want her to be unhappy!   It's my pet peeve with people who use their Christianity to judge other people's behavior, but don't hold themselves to the same standards.

And -- Jesus never spoke about homosexuality, one way or the other. Yet He was very clear about condemning divorce. Sherri makes up her Christian beliefs to suit her comfort level. Pisses me off big time.

• Love 16

I couldn’t even tell what Jedidiah was saying during the first 10 minutes. She sounded like someone screaming in another language at lightning speed, it was unintelligible. Maybe it’s an unpopular opinion, but just her voice puts me on edge. To be honest, I thought about it today and realized I don’t like any of these women outside of Joy. It’s just a process of who is the least annoying with this show.

Paula is incredibly desperate. Between her bending over backwards to have her cake and eat it too re: Trump, her bitchy jabs at the other women throughout the show, and the fact that she lost an argument to Raven of all people—she’s laughably absurd. I loved Joy’s response to her during the vasectomy topic when Joy was comparing it to abortion and Paula lost her shit.

Sunny is just sad. She isn’t even able to go to sleep when she wants or wake up when she wants because she’s so insecure about her man.

At least Raven didn’t speak for most of the show. I guess that's a positive.

• Love 11
(edited)

Sunny lives a sad, sad life...or maybe I do, I don't know. I would rather be alone than have to go to all that trouble to please someone else.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
misspelling
  • Love 12
(edited)

Raven is reading and she  says there are -uh -uh -uh "things" in our water,  so she proudly uses (chemically-loaded) wipes to clean herself.  

Someone helped her out with the word "toxins."

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 16