Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Spoilers & Rumors

LanceM
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Wonder if the unknown male will take as long as Darnell to get confirmed.

Who the heck lists their job title as 'mactor'?  

Of course the girl that's a pastor would be named Sunday.  But, besides Paul (aka the new inductee into the ugly brotherhood of tattoos), I kind of like the looks of this cast.  Curious what the theme will be.  I heard it could be political (Dems vs Repubs) or location (North/South/East/West).  Looking at the similarity people have in occupations (several writers/comedians/wannabe celebs, people who are pastors or in that field, etc), on top of all the locations, I think there could possibly be something to either of those.  Which, if that's the best they can do for a theme, they need to do a non themed season.  If that does happen to be the case, I hope Probst never says they don't cast for a theme anymore.

Normally stupid themes don't bother me, because they usually don't end up mattering, aside from the contestants continually having to bring it up in their TH (like WA when the castaways kept having to use 'collar' in every TH they had, or last season with 'second chance' being the word of the season).  But a political theme?  I hope that doesn't dominate.  I watch this show to get away from stuff like that.  This looks like a good cast on paper, and I'd hate a stupid political theme to ruin it.  Besides, what will Jeff's tagline be?  For B/B/B or WA, he did the whole 'which way of life will dominate' or something to that effect.  I think he's asking for it if he tries that in a theme of liberals vs conservatives.

Edited by LadyChatts

I'm still thinking the occupations have something to do with it.  Selfish vs the selfless?  Well, I could see them going that far lol even if it isn't the nicest tag line.  But we've got a pastor, missionaries, a homeless shelter manager, lawyers, and then comedians/writers (3!), a mactor...seems like a funny coincidence.  So maybe it's an occupation theme.

Well Redmond posted over on Sucks that he doesn't believe it is a political or a religious theme as some have been speculating. I really hope he is right about this as I cringe at the thought of Probst  embracing this theme as he tends to go overboard with this type of thing. Redmond is also expanding a little on the bios of the cast over on his website. It looks like he is doing one castaway a day. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the theme is stupid, as I think all themes are stupid, but like any other themed season it is only really annoying for the first couple of episodes as Jeff will most likely be insufferable.  But after that the strength of the season will lie solely with the cast. As always I am optimistic that they found a good group of players but we shall see.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6

The one guy looks a bit old to be Gen-X, he must have barely made the cut-off.  Shouldn't be anyone over 50 on the tribe (given that I guess they already filmed the season), according to "sources" that claim Gen-X didn't start until 1965.  Though I, have always identified as Gen-X rather than Baby-boomer that apparently I'm supposed to be, because I was born at the end of 1964.  It does kindof goes to show that in many cases, there's no real difference between one "generation" and the next.

• Love 1

I assume there is no one in their thirties on this season: people find it too confusing and vague as to how to categorize them.  Or if there are, they are presumably very early or late thirties.  (I'm going to side-eye the show if they put a 33 or 34 year old in "GenX" because everyone still thinks Millennials must be under 30, since they were all under 30 when people first started hearing the term several years back.)

(edited)

It looks like there are 5 people in their 30's on the season.

The oldest millennial is 31

The youngest gen x'er is 33

Edited by LanceM

The one problem with defining "generations" by an entire year (i.e. January to December) is that schools don't necessarily place their students that way, and the class you are placed in has a tendency, I think, to define one's generation more.  For example, I was born in Sept. 1964 and supposedly am a "baby boomer".  But because of my month of birth and missing the school 'cut off' date, I didn't start kindergarden until I was nearly 6, and thus ran with a crowd, many of whom, were almost a year younger than me.  As such, I always considered myself more of a Gen X person, rather than a boomer.  The difference was clear given that my sister, 7 years older than me (and with a January birthdate, was in the middle of her school year class), had a real different life, much in terms of how the economy affected her (i.e. she was able to buy a house with her husband before the housing boom hit, but by the time I was the same age, housing prices were far out of my range and I had to wait a lot longer, while she got the benefit of rapidly increasing home equity; she had a good paying job with seniority that helped her weather the 80s recession, whereas I couldn't find summer employment/part time work while in school).  Its just really hard to say that a person at one end of a 20 year 'generation' has anything remotely in common with someone at the other end that you can lump them together and say both are the _____ generation and must be treated the same.

• Love 3

In the short clip we saw a gen x complaining that he did not grow up getting awards for just participating as did the millennials.  Here we go with the pigeon holes again.  I hate themes.  

The theme will only be relevant until the tribe swap.  Then, like every other theme before it, it will be non existent.  Even though Jeff will try and make it a thing.  I wasn't crazy about some of the cast they previewed in the promo, but I still hold out hope.  Either way, I'm in.  I tell myself 'if it's bad, I'll turn it off', but I won't.

• Love 4
(edited)

Here's Jeff's tease for the new season. http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/18/survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-jeff-probst-next-season

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What sort of theme do you have cooked up for us for season 33 and why?
JEFF PROBST: Survivor: Millennials vs Gen X.  It will hook you quickly because you will identify with one group or the other. The differences between the two groups are quickly apparent, and the Millennials often left me challenging my own way of looking at the world. There is so much appealing energy from the Millennials, and yet often that energy leads to quick decisions that aren’t always well thought out.  With Gen X, you see a tendency to overthink and get stuck in one way of thinking, which can prevent mistakes, but can also hold you back from seizing opportunities. I feel really confident the audience is going to enjoy the season very much.

I realize people would, technically, identify with one group or the other.  But does anyone really watch in anticipation to see whether their group is going to succeed or fail?  I just love Probst's hype sometimes.  Also sounds like he's on team Millennials.  Considering they look like they are the this season's version of the WA No Collars tribe, which Jeff came up with, I'm not surprised. 

And then this:

The elements played a huge role in Kaoh Rong. What sort of weather are we looking at for next season? 
Well, I can tease this… the elements do come into play, and in a way they never have before.

Assuming this isn't just more Probst hype, I might be somewhat intrigued by this.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I was hoping, after Jeff's hype of WA crashed and burned, he would keep his vow not to overhype any season.  I realize he has to somewhat give it a good review (at least until it's over, and then he can gauge the fan response and spin it from there).  But yeah, usually when Jeff says we're going to love a season, I usually hate it.  Given some of the men in the cast, and that millennial jerk that got airtime during the season preview, I can see why Jeff might like this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

Taylor.  He turned me off with his "#solesurvivor" and saying the older generation is brainwashed into getting jobs, getting married, and he's a free man.  Of course, once the season starts, watch him be one of my favorites lol

Of course, I'm keeping in mind that everyone is going to have to play up this theme and put down whatever side they aren't on.  I'd say at least until the tribe swap, but I'm sure Jeff will make sure to keep bringing it up.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:59 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I pray that it's not a political theme. That would be the biggest disaster. I think it would ruin the boards.

True.

Edited by Dobian

I've been catching up with my podcasts and it sounds like SEG has been talking about what a great season this will be as soon as they got back. Chaos K mentioned it before the S32 finale and of course, Probst's BFF, Cockran, knows about it too.

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

If GenX are geezers what does that make me, a baby boomer?!

Theoretically a neutral party in this stupid season.

I'm not touching any other implications. :P  I may not be right bright, but I ain't plum dumb.

• Love 3

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/jeff-probst-survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-first

Another sneak preview from Jeff for this season.  He's Team Millennial, if that comes as a surprise to anyone, and says we will love this cast and definitely find someone to relate to amongst the groups.  He also says if you're over 30 you're going to love the energy of the millennial's.  Especially with this little quote he gave us:

I was embarrassed that the Gen Xers were so uptight, a lot of them. And the Millennials would says things like ‘Technology, and we want autonomy, and we want to work the hours we want to work,’ and the Gen Xers would say, ‘You guys are too entitled, you’re too much technology based,’ and the Millennials would say, ‘No, you’re just from an old system and you don’t see. We’re not the future, we’re the now. And if you’d stop writing longhand and get a computer, you might figure it out.’”

Prediction: he's overselling this season like WA, and we'll all hate it, and he can't figure out why.

Also the big Survivor first:

The host adds that the disparity in approach from the Tribes will be made clear early on thanks to a big Survivor first. “We have something happen in the second day of the first episode that has never happened before,” says Probst. “And the Gen Xers react to it with a little bit of concern and fear. And the Millennials are like they’re at a rock concert going ‘Bring it! We’ll take it!’ And that really struck me as, yes, I want to be like you.”

And new twists with the idols:

Speaking of new things to look forward to, Probst teases that there will be a fresh wrinkle when it comes to the hidden immunity idols. “We’re going to continue to evolve idols in Millennials vs Gen X, It’s super cool what we’re doing with the idols. I think the audience is going to get a chuckle out of it and they’re going to go, ‘Wow, that’s another great idea. How did they do that?’ And then the idea for next year I think is going to be pretty cool. I cant say what it is, but yes, we will continue to use the idols as a way to make people work harder to get advantages in the game.”

• Love 1

Probst's enthusiasm reminds me of that Simpsons episode, where Homer was trying desperately to prove to his kids that he was still cool.  Or Saved by the Bell, where he's Mr. Belding trying to relate to the cool kids crowd, and they are too nice to tell him that he's too old for them.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

And the Millennials are like they’re at a rock concert going ‘Bring it! We’ll take it!’ And that really struck me as, yes, I want to be like you.”

Jeff, you're really embarrassing yourself geez!

Alternate translation:

"There's a really cute girl on the Millennial team and I'm trying to hook up with her like I did with Julie back in the day..."

• Love 7

Just because you cast some narrow-minded 'gen x' players and some adventurous 'millennials' means nothing, Jeff.  Casting fools and adventurers is part of your formula.  

And the gen Xers and baby boomers invented those technologies the millennials love, and founded the companies that let them work flexible hours.  

(edited)

The way he is framing this so-called "gap" between the two groups, you'd think it was a tribe full of Rudy Boesch's vs a tribe of Julia Sokolowski's.  Remember the simpler times when Rudy said he didn't understand MTV?  Is the Gen X tribemate who is just two years older than the oldest Millennial really that out of touch?  Millennial is just No Collar 2.0, and Probst was quite proud of himself for coming up with that tribe during WA. 

Also, does Probst ever stop and think about how he'd be portrayed on Survivor?  I'm sure he's got this vision of being in the dominant alpha male alliance with a bunch of 20 somethings and Brad Culpeppers, not realizing that they are all taking shots at him behind his back and using him for this vote.  He gets blindsided, he gives a bitter jury speech, and then at the reunion, he's called out by the host for being an idiot that stuck with a bunch of youngin's (and Brad's) and turning on his true allies.  Hey, maybe Jeff would actually be a goat, dragged to the end because the jury hates him.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7

The producers should take a clue from the millennials and go on fucking SM to see that we have been clamoring for a season with no theme and two mixed tribes!  Says this baby boomer who spends waaaaay too much time online and freaks if she leaves the house without her phone!   

• Love 7

From that interview with Jeff:  "I’m a Gen Xer and I found myself drawn to the Millennials."

Um, last I checked, being born in 1961 still makes you a baby boomer, Jeff.

My embarrassment for him deepens....

• Love 18
(edited)
3 hours ago, Special K said:

From that interview with Jeff:  "I’m a Gen Xer and I found myself drawn to the Millennials."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!   Gen Xer, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!  

Edited by wings707
correct wrong words!
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, Special K said:

Seriously?

Sorry, Peachy.

You and I both are part of the last puff of smoke left over from the baby boom.

Maybe Puffy instead of Peachy...?  ;>

• Love 7