Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Spoilers & Rumors

LanceM
  • Start Topic

Haha, that's great.  Now if Peachy was born in the last couple of months of 1964 like I was, then I'd give him a pass, as I certainly never considered myself a boomer, despite the claim that it went 'all the way' through 1964.  But 1961 is still firmly in the boomer camp.  

• Love 3
On 6/18/2016 at 4:13 PM, azshadowwalker said:

I was born in 1971, and the only relevance the term "Generation X" ever had for me was as the name of Billy Idol's band way back when. 

I still have this LP hanging around here somewhere...

Generation_X_-_Valley_Of_The_Dolls_album

• Love 4

Just once, I want a season with no theme. No age groupings. No occupation groupings. Throw 20 people out there, let them draw buffs and go to whichever camp belongs to that buff. It's so much more interesting, and it's what made this show the hit it used to be. 

I was born in 1959, so not sure if that's still baby booomer territory. I like to think of myself as a space race child.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I was born in 1959, so not sure if that's still baby booomer territory. I like to think of myself as a space race child.

Most say the Baby Boom was from 1946 to 1964.

• Love 3

Have they ever started a season by just drawing buffs?  That'd be an interesting idea.  Although we could wind up with a WA post swap situation, where all the men (with the exception of Max) are on one tribe.  Still, a tribe swap would be happening at some point.  Sadly, I don't think we will ever get a season that is theme or twist free at this point.

If this three tribe swap is happening, I wonder when it will be.  Considering they are hyping this theme of GenX vs Millenials, I can't believe they would do it at 18 like they did during SC.

• Love 2

I spent a  few minutes poking around on reddit and did some copy paste (hope that is ok?)  Seems like mostly posts about S34 over there.  

So, the following was posted to /r/survivor by /u/GrantParry.

Hello /r/survivor,

I'm new here, but I have some emerging info in regards to Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X.

As previously revealed on Inside Survivor, the starting tribes are Vanua (in red) and Takali (in purple). Well, as it turns out, my source has informed me that there will be a third tribe (which will wear green). I have not been told its name or who will be on it after the swap, but I have corroborated the previous information with Redmond. I believe that they will wear a light green (lime) buff. Unfortunately, the inclusion of this color as a premerge tribe has resulted in a not so exciting merge tribe shade. Unsurprisingly, the merge will be black.

Color Panel

That's all I have for now. Discuss your thoughts on the twist and colors below!

I verified this information with Redmond, and he said that it lines up with his information.

-----------------

So if Vanua means "land" (well, really it means territory) and Takali means "sea" (as well as meaning death) does anyone else think the third tribe will be named after the Fijian word for "sky"? The best translation I can find is "lomalāgi", more specifically the "lagi" part.

-----------

Sadly, it appears that Adam Klein was at home by day 18 due to a serious illness in the family. (I'm leaving some details here vague on purpose out of respect for privacy, although it has been shared publicly.)

We wish you the best, Adam.

EDIT: Adam has now set up a fund to help find a cure. If you're interested in donating, the details of the illness and its outcome are there as well.

---------------

It looks like Sunday's right arm is in a cast/sling since she returned from Fiji. She posted this photo to her Instagramon May 21. Does this imply she might have been removed from the game by medical?

Going through her photos, I found a series of comments :http://image.prntscr.com/image/abb4964f97254522a6dfab52df9c033c.png

Sounds like she is in fact a medevac.

[–]manmanchuck44burung 2 points 1 month ago 

It's very possible by "cleaned out" it was lanced (a hole is opened up in the infection so it has room to exit and she was able to keep playing like Missy. So I guess she defied the odds and didn't end up a first boot, a goat, or a quit. Yay Sunday!

Edited by marys1000

I've seen the Sunday medevac spec elsewhere, but maybe it's a Missy SJDS situation.  It would probably depend when the break happened.

Too bad about Adam.  I always feel for the people who are pulled for the game for medical reasons, but it has to be really rough if it's something going on back home.  I remember during AS, when Jenna chose to leave the game because of her mom, Tom said he'd rather not know anything going on back home, even if he found out someone was seriously ill or ended up deceased while he was gone.  Not sure if I could take it that far, and if that situation really arose, not sure if Tom would be fine having not known. 

• Love 1

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/

Idol twist:

There will be a new twist in play when it comes to hidden immunity idols that this time will be hidden in plain sight. “One of my favorite twists is what we do with the idols,” says Probst. “Somebody had an idea on how to hide idols in nature and it’s brilliant. And it’s really fun because you’re going to get a clue and it’s gonna say, yes, there’s an idol somewhere down here amongst these shells. Good luck. And you’re gonna look out on a beach full of shells and you will not be able to figure out which one has it. How could a shell possibly have an idol? You just gotta work. You gotta think.”

And I guess that first he mentioned that happened day 2 or whatever is weather related?

“Fortunately, we do not have the same kind of weather that we had in Cambodia,” says the host. “But I will tease you that early on, believe it or not, weather does play a part in the show, and you will see the part it plays, and it’s a first. And it was scary. But it works out alright.”

• Love 1

Yep. They either did very well in the game or they are big characters this season. I can definitely see it with Zeke who I am guessing is going to be  a fan favorite. Either way it is obvious that both these players make the merge at the minimum.

I have a feeling that Zeke is going to be one of the people I am "supposed to" like, but who drives me nuts. Kinda the Tai or Debbie of next season, and I will be so annoyed that I have to watch him again so soon (and at the same time as Tai and Debbie). Michaela has some potential, though. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I have a feeling that Zeke is going to be one of the people I am "supposed to" like, but who drives me nuts. Kinda the Tai or Debbie of next season, and I will be so annoyed that I have to watch him again so soon (and at the same time as Tai and Debbie). Michaela has some potential, though. 

Before this cast was officially announced, that was the impression I got just from the one photo we had to go on.  He seems like the type that Probst is going to love (for being a non alpha anyway).  I'm hoping the S34 cast ends up proving me wrong on how horrible I think it is going to be.

Anyway, back to our current season, here's a new preview (I'm posting it here because it shows some challenge footage that I believe is not from the first episode):

Let me go on record saying I am already tired of this theme, it is not "groundbreaking battle of wills" as the announcer claims, I still don't think it is some big generation gap that they are trying to promote, and I will never understand why they get tribe names when all Probst calls them are millennials and genxers.  Or whatever that season's theme is.  A small part of me would love to see this season crash and burn spectacularly, just to see Probst have to eat his words and throw a tantrum in the corner that people didn't dig it.  Either that or not identify and dislike the millennials, since he predicts people will relate more to them no matter what your age.

• Love 1

It is not groundbreaking at all since we already had a generational battle previously on Survivor back in season 3 when the baby boomers on the Samburu tribe led by Carl the Dentist clashed with the "lazy" gen x'ers led by Lindsey Richter.  But anyway as I have said before after a few episodes nobody is going to give a damn what the theme is on the show.

I am not able to view that promo so I am not sure it is the same one but I do know there is one out there that apparently spoils that the gen x'ers lose the first IC as Hannah is shown sitting out a challenge next to Probst.

• Love 1

A Baby Boomer tribe would be a disaster in the tribal challenges. The older tribe in Nicaragua was full of people who were right on the boundary of Baby Boomer and...Gen Xers(?) and they only reason they were competitive in challenges against the tribe of 20-somethings was because of the the stupid Medallion of Power. A Baby Boomer tribe in this season would be the older members of that tribe with an extra six years on them. They'd be Matsing all over again.

• Love 1

Both tribes needed to be evacuated on day 2 due to sever weather:

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-cast-evacuated-due-to-cyclone-16419

“It was only day two and in a matter of hours, a nice afternoon turned into a severe rainstorm that kept growing in intensity by the hour. We were monitoring the weather minute by minute back at base camp. When the national Fijian weather service upgraded it to a cyclone, we had to evacuate both tribes from their beaches and get them to safety. We have never had to evacuate tribes in 32 seasons of Survivor.”

Oh, and the things that amaze Jeff, never cease to amaze me and I mean that in a shaking my head sort of way....

"And when they were all huddled together, I had an amazing realization: everyone was scared. And I realized that Millenials and Gen X'rs are more similar than they are different."

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, LanceM said:

"And when they were all huddled together, I had an amazing realization: everyone was scared. And I realized that Millenials and Gen X'rs are more similar than they are different."

Astonishing, isn't it - that neither GenXers nor Millenials would want to get killed for some stupid-ass reality show?

Color me really really fucking amazed.  :P

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Astonishing, isn't it - that neither GenXers nor Millenials would want to get killed for some stupid-ass reality show?

Jeff is surprised that both generations appear to have the instinct to want to survive? If you find a generation where the majority don't, we're getting close to the end of the line.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

And here those generations aren't supposed to have anything in common.  At least according to Jeff.  Good old Probst and his hype.  Don't ever leave us.  I think he probably thinks those of us sitting at home will probably have the same astounding thought he had.  Because what a moment!  They might actually die instead of, you know, just get medical called in or give up camp supplies for a new shelter so they don't just talk about dying.

Probst does realize that no matter what stupid theme they come up with to divide the tribes, people are more alike than he thinks.

ETA: Here's his cast assessment.  http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/survivor/video

He seems to hype the millennials with a little more glowing praise, imo, and I hear the word 'people will like...' a lot.  No surprise that of the GenXers, he seems like to like Bret and Chris the most.  And I guess one way to get Probst to like you is when you first meet him, ask him what he wants to talk about.  Also, he gives Zeke the comparison to Hatch (!).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Here's another article about the evacuation.  I love this from Probst:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/07/survivor-cyclone-millennials-vs-gen-x-evacuation

Probst says the way the two tribes reacted to this crisis plays into their generational differences. “It was very interesting how the two groups responded to the news.  The Gen X tribe was responsible and very concerned about their well being. The Millennials were less concerned about their safety and more excited that they were making Survivor history.” That history will be made during the 90-minute Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen X premiere, Sept. 21 on CBS.

Given how the millennials seem like the biggest bunch of try hards between the two tribes, I can believe that they probably were thinking about this big Survivor moment, and how it was going down in history.  No wonder Probst liked them so much.  They think alike.  So I'm curious, how long did this evacuation last?  Were they off the island for days?

Also, Episode 1 is titled "May the Best Generation Win."

Jeff sure does like his themes. It is interesting that he loves the millennials the best considering his two biggest mancrushes are on the gen x tribe.  

Anyway, here is the description of the first episode:

“May the Best Generation Win” – A war of generations begins as Millennials battle Gen X on the 90-minute season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Sept. 21 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. A massive storm leads to a first in SURVIVOR history, and one castaway snatches a powerful advantage in the game.

It appears they are doing that twist from the first BBB season where 2 tribe members have to choose either food or a a clue to the idol:

108089_D00732b.jpg

Edited by LanceM
5 minutes ago, LanceM said:

Jeff sure does like his themes. It is interesting that he loves the millennials the best considering his two biggest mancrushes are on the gen x tribe.  

Anyway, here is the description of the first episode:

“May the Best Generation Win” – A war of generations begins as Millennials battle Gen X on the 90-minute season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Sept. 21 (8:00-9:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. A massive storm leads to a first in SURVIVOR history, and one castaway snatches a powerful advantage in the game.

It appears they are doing that twist from the first BBB season where 2 tribe members have to choose either food or a a clue to the idol:

108089_D00732b.jpg

They did this exact twist recently on Aussie Survivor. This may be the last time they will do this twist in the American version unless they majorly overhaul it.

• Love 1

If the advantage is anything but the idol, I vote it works as well as every other advantage in Survivor history.

I don't know if Jeff is just laying it on thick with the younger tribe just to try and make them sound cool and interesting, and hopefully draw in younger viewers who see themselves (or not) in these young, hip, world changing kids.  Or just Jeff being the creepy old guy who wants to relive his youth and pretend he can fit in.  I can see it being either one.  It just seems like this theme is going overboard already.  I don't remember being so bored and tired of one before the season started.  And that even goes for BBB.  

• Love 3
On 8/31/2016 at 2:01 AM, BK1978 said:

As much as I dislike the theme, I really wish they would have added a baby boomers tribe.  At least there is more difference there between the three generations.

You would really only be able to have people at the tail of that generation on, though, if you don't want to have them just steamrolled during the early part of the season. It's one thing to have a 60something or two on a tribe of younger people. It's quite another to have a whole tribe of Joes. I mean, my mom is a baby boomer, and I am middle aged. She just turned 70. Even her younger sister would die out there. Ten years ago, having a lot of baby boomers was one thing, but a decade or so makes a lot of difference. 

• Love 1

I completely agree.  I am a mid-late boomer, born 1952.  10 years ago I still believed I could do most anything and would have loved this challenge.  Nowadays, eh, not so much.  I have had to accept that generally those days are gone.   Give me my comfortable bed and don't wake me too darn early!  :)

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Old dude, maybe? He doesn't appear to be too healthy.

He was my first guess, too.  Since we saw a clip of David saying "this could benefit me" (or however he worded it), I wonder if that means whoever it was wasn't medevaced.  I believe Redmond said that only one person was pulled from the game this season, but maybe he was wrong.

Okay, a lot went down this week, and I see Dr. Joe is going to be making a house call next week. What can you say about that and what is coming up? 
Ah, Dr. Joe… who doesn’t love Dr. Joe? Yes, he is in action and … that’s all I can say about that. As for the episode in general, you will start to see more divide within the tribes and that is going to make for great struggles for power.

Jeff's teaser for next week.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/22/survivor-jeff-probst-premiere-millennials-gen-x-cyclone

FYI: There was a bootlist posted over at Sucks (here) in early August with Rachel as the first boot.  It was dismissed at the time, as most boot lists are, but obviously now it's getting a second look.  It's still too early to be certain, and it's quite possible that the accuracy so far is the result of a lucky guess, but the fact that CeCe is listed as the next one out lends some credence.  One main point of contention, however, is that Adam is listed as making late jury, and he was thought to have left the game early.

If the list IS true, I'm not surprised at all to see David go far.  I can easily see him getting the Cochran/Aubry/Shirin "growth" edit.

• Love 1

I believe Adam was online while filming was going on, which verified he had been pulled from the game (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  I want it to be right simply because I'd only have 2 more eps to deal with Will.  I like how the list says (out of a final 2) 'it's 50/50' that Zeke wins.  Like, in a final 2, what other odds are there besides 100%?

Relaying that Sucks bootlist:

Pre-Merge
Rachel
CeCe
Will
Sunday

Tribe Swap
Paul
Taylor
Mari

Merge
Bret
Ken
Chris
Jay
Hannah 
Lucy
Jessica
Adam
David
Figgy
Michelle

Final 2
Michaela
Zeke

The first boot was certainly true, but I'm a bit skeptical since the one to offer the list doesn't have the Jessicas right.  There's a Jessica F. (Figgy) and a Jessica L., but not Jessica B.  Unless the Jessica B. is supposed to be Figgy.  But if this list holds true, then perhaps Jessica holds onto her Legacy Advantage the entire time, after all.

On the other side of the coin, looking at this list, I wonder if we're heading for an "evil" triumvirate of Bret/Ken/Chris?  The three do seem tight, and Bret's smugness over getting what he wanted with Rachel's boot does make me think that he in particular is heading for some kind of fall in the weeks ahead.

And finally, if the F2 is true, then this totally explains Zeke and Michaela's inclusion in season thirty-four.  They both must do very well to get this far.

ETA: Thank you to @bml1980 for setting me straight to Jessica's full name.  Everything has been edited accordingly, with Jessica going out in seventh place, and Figgy going out in fourth.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1

Now I'm all confused, because I thought Redmond was the one who said Adam (or someone) was removed from the game for a family emergency, and people concluded it was Adam.  I will say, if that boot list winds up being accurate, I'm a little disappointed.  Playing devil's advocate here, but Taylor and Mari may end up on a tribe outnumbered by GenXers, and wind up getting tossed to keep the other side's numbers off.  And, I can see the likes of Chris/Bret possibly being the driving force behind that.

Maybe some returning player season can have the theme 'screwed over by the tribe swap'.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Jessica B. is Jessica Blain-Lewis on the Gen-X tribe, but the show is apparently calling her Jessica Lewis.

Also, if the list is correct and she comes in 7th place, she would just miss out on getting to use the advantage.

Edited by bml1980
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, bml1980 said:

Jessica B. is Jessica Blain-Lewis on the Gen-X tribe, but the show is apparently calling her Jessica Lewis.

Also, if the list is correct and she comes in 7th place, she would just miss out on getting to use the advantage.

Thanks, @bml1980.  That makes more sense.  So that means that Figgy goes out in fourth, and Jessica goes out in seventh.  Interesting.

1 hour ago, Michel said:

One thing that I question is why only one tribal swap is noted.  Wasn't there going to be a swap into three tribes, and then one back into two?

They could just go from three tribes into the merge rather than back into two, I suppose?

• Love 1
Just now, simplyme said:

They could just go from three tribes into the merge rather than back into two, I suppose?

That is possible, and definitely something that hasn't been done before.  All merges usually happen with two tribes.

Was that information about the tribe swap from Redmond? I vaguely remember hearing that.

Maybe they swap into three tribes for two weeks and then two tribes for one week?  That seems unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Episode 2 is titled "Love Goggles".  Episode 3 is "Your Job is Recon".

It was speculated on Sucks that the tribes would merge as three tribes, rather than swapping back into 2 before that.  I don't know if that info came from Redmond or not.

I will almost cry if that boot list is accurate, only because it would mean my beloved Mari didn't make the jury.

And while I do think Michaela and Zeke are going to do extraordinarily well and be well liked by a good chunk of the audience, I am hesitant to think either of them will win the game (only because of Survivor precedent, but there has to be a first time for everything). 

• Love 2