Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Someone That I Used To Know

When Enzo’s efforts to protect Bonnie end up putting her life in jeopardy, they learn that Rayna may hold the key to her survival. With time running out and Rayna at the reins, Enzo and Bonnie reluctantly team up with Damon, who is desperate to save Bonnie’s life and to repair their broken friendship. Elsewhere, when Stefan travels to Dallas and comes face to face with Alaric, tensions escalate and they are forced to confront the fallout from Stefan’s absence in Caroline’s life. Finally, Enzo learns The Armory’s true motives behind their search for Bonnie.

Why did Ric say that Stefan didn't even sent a postcard? I must not have been paying attention last (?) episode, I thought that he'd written her a ton of letters that got sent back unopened? Or did he not mail them at all?

I love Stefan, but he was being a douche to Ric. On the other hand, I find the Ric and Caroline thing kind of creepy. Like he took advantage of her fragile state and clear attachment to the kids to sort of railroad her into the marriage. Plus she used to be his student, plus she's a vampire and he's a human so how is that supposed to work, plus just...eh. So while I would have liked Stefan to have taken a more "I just want to give us some closure" approach, I can kind of see why he went more "I'm gonna steal her back". It's easy to resent Ric, from Stefan's POV. He maybe should have intervened more as Caroline got so attached to the twins that she was explicitly supposed to be the surrogate for, not their mother. I feel like there could have been more boundaries there, and that Caroline (instead of Valerie) could have run off with Stefan if she hadn't formed such close ties to the kids.

I'm not a Bamon shipper but damn Damon gave every sign of a jealous ex-boyfriend that there was. I think I'm starting to see it.

Wow, Candice, way to bounce right back with your figure! I know that's shallow, but I am genuinely happy for her. The women in my family have a hell of a time losing baby weight.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 3

Ok Bonnie and Enzo were so cute, it really is unfortunate that instead of giving them more scenes from the beginning they were wasting Enzo with lame sls. Thought they had really nice chemistry, some really nice moments.

I really liked the Damon/Bonnie/Enzo team up.

I am not sure what to think of Damon's reactions he did seem jealous but it could also be sadness that everyone has shut him out but with the writers I can never tell what they are doing with Bamon, sometimes it feels like they may go there and other times it feels like they are ship baiting. I guess the upcoming eps may give a clearer direction.

So they mention Lucy Bennett just to tell us she was killed off screen? Ridiculous...

Edited by roses
  • Love 4

I know. Last week when they mentioned that Lucy disappeared four years ago, I thought they were going to bring her back soon. Wasn't Virginia the one who said that Lucy disappeared? It seems weird that now Alex is saying Virginia is the one who killed Lucy. Was Virginia hiding the truth from Bonnie? Or is Alex lying and blaming Virginia when someone else at the Armory actually killed Lucy?

Ha, loved the Bonnie and Clyde and Clyde team killing vampires. While I understand why Bonnie didn't want to kill Beau, did she really think that Rayna was going to accept "But he helped our friend!" as the reason why they skipped that name on her list? As Damon reminded her, he's the one who does the things that need to get done. And knowing that they were Rayna's assassins for the sole purpose of saving Bonnie, there's no way that Damon was going to skip anyone on Rayna's naughty list.

So if Rayna was lying on the floor bleeding at the end of the episode, does it mean that the remaining life she was going to give to Bonnie isn't looking very good for either of them now?

I wasn't a Bonnie/Enzo shipper but his NYE dinner was very sweet. Why is Bonnie the one who keeps ending up trapped alone with a guy for extended periods of time?

On the one hand, I get Alaric not wanting Stefan to disrupt Caroline's life now. And to be fair, I think that only a small part of that is Alaric being selfish and afraid that she might run back to Stefan. I think most of his fear is that Stefan is going to upset her now that she's finally in a good place emotionally. Maybe I'm giving Alaric too much credit, but that's what I want to believe. And I can totally understand that, especially given that Stefan seemed pretty determined to get her back and he was acting like once he gave her this perfectly reasonable explanation as to why he dropped off the face of the earth for three years, she would come running back to him.

ITA that Alaric and Caroline being together is creepy to me for multiple reasons. He was her teacher and not even in that Pretty Little Liars "but he's ONLY in his 20s so it's okay!" kind of way. He is 16 years older than Caroline. He was twice her age when he met her. And that's before you factor in the whole human with a vampire thing. Caroline loves structure and routine and that is something she's getting out of her relationship with Alaric, but more than that she's getting a chance to pretend she's human again while she plays mom to the twins. But what are they going to do when the girls get older and Caroline still looks 17? Are they going to tell them the truth? Or come up with some reason for Caroline to leave (divorce, fake death, etc)?

• Love 5

Boo to them offing Lucy off screen. Not cool. She was very badass the one time we saw her and I was hoping she would make an appearance after she was mentioned. Also it was really over kill to get Beau again though I understand why they had to. I am not sure I care to have this mysterious vault sister of Alex's released. Do we really need another all powerful formerly unknown creature on this show? 

That aside I loved this episode! I was very anti Bonnie/Enzo. The early stuff with them this season made it seem like a pity relationship. But seeing how they connected over the last 3 years was super sweet. Agreed that the NY's Eve dinner was the highlight. 

Loved the Bamon interactions too. IS was really great in this episode. The kind of jealous/grossed out vibe he was giving Bonnie/Enzo was hilarious. I'm not sure if the show even knows what it wants to do with Bamon but either way they are playing really well off each other. But I am not sure I want Bonnie/Enzo done in favor of Bamon. 

Also loved that brief scene when Bonnie was leaving the dorm and saw the 3 girls initials on the door. 

Even though I usually hate damsels in distress it was nice to see the gang work together for Bonnie's sake for once. It's usually her going to bat for one of them. I loved when Enzo told her maybe she doesn't know what being treated decently is. It was a little odd Matt wasn't there helping but maybe he doesn't know what is going on with her and there is his whole I hate Stefan thing. 

ElectricBoogaloo re the twins my guess is they will know about the supernatural world sooner rather than later. They are siphon witches. There is only so long Ric and Caroline can avoid talking to them about all of it. 

Edited by Couver
  • Love 2

This was a great episode I am so surprised (aside from Lucy Bennett being killed which...I have no words for). This was for once, an almost entirely character driven episode, the time jump was a good idea if it moves us away from Elena and into the reasons these characters do these things. I feel like we learned more about these characters in this one episode than we have all season long. I am truly enjoying the Bamon and Steroline parallels. Don't piss off Baroline because clearly they have run out of fucks to give. I enjoyed the back and forth between Denzo and Stalaric and the Bonenzo scenes, Bamon scenes and Bamenzo scenes. I feel like KG, IS and MM are a dream team, they just work so well off each other and it was so fun to watch an episode that really let all the actors shine without being gimmicky or having bizarro, far-fetched plot twists. For all the problems TVD has with race, gender and sexuality they sure have one thing nailed and that's casting. Leslie Ann Huff continues to impress AND she reminds me a bit of Michelle Rodriguez with that voice and I'm pretty sure I have a crush on her. 

It was a lot of fun to see them finally using MM and giving him something meaty to do, him and KG have an effortless, natural chemistry and cadence which makes me wish the writers had the common sense to explore this relationship seasons ago when they were wasting their time on the Sarah Salvatore plot and his pointless obsession with Stefan (as many on this board have noted). I feel like MM has Christopher Wood chops and it's such a waste to now see what he can do and know I'll only get to watch Enzo for one more season.

Which brings me to the biggest waste of all, Kat Graham. This girl has chemistry with EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. She could sell a relationship with a vile of blood or a paperclip. This episode is what Bonnie stans have been waiting for for 7 years. Some glimpse into what makes Bonnie happy and what she likes to do with her time, what she wants for herself, what kind of man she's looking for, what kind of future she wants to have. It's the first episode in 7 years that dared to give even a fraction of interest in what makes Bonnie Bennett tick and watching her tick is wonderful. Sad to say this is the most I have seen the character laugh and smile in her entire run on the show, 7 long years people!

I may be a hardcore Bamon shipper but the Bonenzo clutched my heart because it was an absolute pleasure to for once in 7 years see Bonnie be wined and dined and protected and saved and fought over like every.other.female.character on the show has been. To watch Bonnie be allowed to experience other emotions besides guilt and self-sacrifice. To watch her be happy and angry and justifiably hurt and to watch her tell Damon that he doesn't deserve her and Enzo does because what she truly needs is someone to be there for her. To watch Bonnie set expectations for someone to put her first and be there for HER. How glorious!

If this is what happened to the show post-Dries then we should keep that woman away from anything remotely resembling a production office for the rest of her natural life. What a shift and what a change. Praise be to miracles my Bonnie Bennett was actually written as a CHARACTER!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 6

They weren't happy with killing every witch on screen?  Now they are slaughtering them off screen to?  {face palm}

The stuff with Damon, Bonnie, and Enzo makes me think the writers were hedging their bets in case Nina Dobrev returned.  Since that probably won't happen, they've finally decided to move these characters forwarded.  It's to bad they kept them stuck in neutral for so long.

Doesn't Stefan leave town almost every year?  He went with Klaus to save Damon from the werewolf bite.  He was going to leave town before his shadow self stuck him in a metal box.  He left town when he thought Damon was finally dead dead.  Stefan went on the run when Damon was stuck in a coffin, and Rayna was boxed, but still alive.  I'm sure something will happen so Stefan will have to leave town/Caroline/Elena/random girl again, and Stefan won't hesitate to do so especially if it involves Damon because Stefan won't want to miss an opportunity to have something else to guilt trip Damon with.

It would be hilarious if Caroline dumps both Stefan and Alaric, and runs off with Klaus.

I'm still not understanding why Matt has chosen now to hate all things vampire.  Rebekah ran Matt's truck off the bridge, and Matt would be dead if Elena hadn't insisted Stefan save Matt first.  Matt then proceeded to go on a world sight seeing trip with Rebekah.  He didn't hold what Damon and Stefan did to Vicki against them, but Penny apparently was the straw that broke the camel's back?  Whatever show.  Too little too late.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 3

@Slayer2. 

Despite your obvious dislike of Elena, your obvious, unbridled passion for all things Bonnie Bennett is lovely to see. I love her too and I was thoroughly enchanted by her romance with Enzo. For once she was center of attention, and Kat did an amazing job this episode.

Because this is TVD, I'm seriously worried for Enzo now, uh oh! Good things never last for long on this show right?

The Rayna nonsense continues... Where the heck have all these vamp corpses appeared from that the Phoenix stone vamps can inhabit? Rayna is now an Amara crazy pants redux? c'mon show, really?

Loved, loved the vamp killing spree montage thing. So many great one liners and visuals. I need more of this please.

The Damon and Enzo stuff was hot....., just kiss already.  Kidding, but really? yeah, no. 

Not keen on yet another person boarding the blame Damon for everything train. Choo Choo!

Enzo mate, remember when you killed Rayna and resurrected her from the flames? Yeah, thought not. Just shut the hell up and romance your girl, I like you better like that.

The worst part of the episode, was the Stefan/Alaric/Caroline stuff, although it was nice to see Ric at least give Stefan some of the same he gave Damon last week. The parallels in the Defan story are being brought to the fore. I liked that a little balance was brought into the narrative this week.

Not a bad episode for me. I liked it more than I have liked the last 5 or six.

• Love 1

Ok Bonnie and Enzo were so cute, it really is unfortunate that instead of giving them more scenes from the beginning they were wasting Enzo with lame sls. Thought they had really nice chemistry, some really nice moments.

I really liked the Damon/Bonnie/Enzo team up.

I am not sure what to think of Damon's reactions he did seem jealous but it could also be sadness that everyone has shut him out but with the writers I can never tell what they are doing with Bamon, sometimes it feels like they may go there and other times it feels like they are ship baiting. I guess the upcoming eps may give a clearer direction.

So they mention Lucy Bennett just to tell us she was killed off screen? Ridiculous...

You and me both. I'm also confused about where they are going with this.

For now, I'm choosing to believe that Damon felt awkward witnessing intimate moments between his friends as well as sadness for his own loss.

The sleeping in separate beds was odd. Caroline had no problems having sex with Klaus after all he did, but sleeps separate from Alaric?

I hope Caroline doesn't abandon her family she's built to run off with Stefan. Stefan's shown over and over that Damon's his #1 and Caroline has kids to think about.

• Love 1

Despite your obvious dislike of Elena, your obvious

I just don't want the show revolve around a character whose portrayer has clearly moved on to greener pastures. They are the only show that does this. Smallville didn't even do this with Kristin Kreuk. I agree about Bonnie. This is the storyline and screentime that Kat Graham has always deserved, it was nice to see her shine today although bittersweet with the loss of her friend.

They weren't happy with killing every witch on screen?  Now they are slaughtering them off screen to?  {face palm}

Agree. Brutal.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I want both Bonnie and Caroline to tell the Salvatore Brothers to get lost.  Wherever they go chaos, destruction, and death follow.  Damon gets all the blame, but Stefan plays his part to.

I guess Katherine Pierce did know what she was doing when she left both Damon and Stefan behind in MF in 1864.  If they had not done that stupid Katherine loves Stefan arc, Katherine would have been absolutely perfect.

• Love 1
The Rayna nonsense continues... Where the heck have all these vamp corpses appeared from that the Phoenix stone vamps can inhabit?

Hmm, if only Stefan had realized that all he had to do to survive in his new corpse body was to just go on acting like a vampire...well, as it is the writers aren't even trying anymore.

I've always thought it was pretty hokey how cleanly hearts can be extracted by hand. Not the bloody part but how neatly the vessels are severed.

Outbreaks of serial killing must be a pretty common occurrence in the Vampire Diaries universe for all the uproar, or lack thereof, they cause.

• Love 2

I think Damon was right for locking himself in the coffin.  I wish Bonnie, Alaric, et al., had been angry with Damon because he didn't tell them face to face what he was doing.  Leaving the letters, and not wanting to discuss anything with Stefan was spineless, and Damon isn't spineless.  His explanation to Bonnie in the hospital when she was unconscious was true.  His foolish decisions were putting people in danger, and Damon didn't want anyone else to die.  The entire you never should have put yourself in time out, it was wrong, just doesn't make sense.

Stefan should have told Caroline he was going to try to find a way to remove Rayna's mark, and either broken up with her, or given her the option of going with him.  Just taking off with Valeria, was spineless and a jackass thing to do.

Bonnie packing up the dorm room was sad.  It's a horrible contrast with the way Bonnie, Elena, and Caroline were in Season One.  They were mourning the loss of Elena and Jeremy's parents, but they were trying to move on.  They didn't realize almost everyone they cared about was going to end up murdered.

They should have Caroline engaged to someone else.  The SL for Caroline and Alaric should have been, Alaric moved to Dallas when his wife and the twins' mother died, and his younger half-sister Caroline moved to Dallas to help him.  Then Caroline met a new guy, and moved on with him.

• Love 1

If Caroline chooses to just abandon the twins and run back to Mystic Falls or wherever with Stefan, I'm going to think very badly of her character. Three years ago she chose to be a mom and take on that responsibility (no one forced her to do so) so to drop it now just for a guy who seems to put his brother first 98.7% of the time would be stupid. 

It's still a bit of a mess though because like someone mentioned up-thread, Caroline will never age (unless the writers pull another magical vampire cure out of their asses), so how is she going to remain in Texas with Alaric and the kids? I think it's going to be handled badly no matter which way the writers go with the plot.

• Love 2

The sleeping in separate beds was odd.

I don't understand why one bedroom set up as a nursery and two bedrooms furnished as bedrooms made Stefan come to the conclusion that Caroline/Alaric were sleeping in separate beds. Granted he was right, but the fact that the furniture made him figure it out was odd IMO.

Yes, this. Alaric wasn't particularly asking her to be in the twins's life after they were born. He had already made the decision to move to Texas. She was the one who chose to stick around, chose to let them call her mom. Now, she's going to dump them to be with her flaky boyfriend, and live a dangerous life that they can't be part of. The whole situation is seriously effed up, but if they were going to do a pseudo-surrogacy/adoption plot, I wish someone had thought of doing it with a bit more sensitivity. 

I wish the writers had given a lot more thought to several SLs.  Caroline does not abandon people.  Whatever faults she has, Caroline stands by people even when she shouldn't.  She didn't give up on Matt, Tyler, her father, her mother, etc.  Caroline wouldn't just leave the twins.

I thought Nina Dobrev did an excellent job with Elena, Katherine, Katherine pretending to be Elena, etc.  They all had different character traits and nuances that set them apart.  I'm glad she is doing other things with her career, and I don't blame her for wanting to move on.  When NB decided to leave the show, the writers should have come up with a better SL than Elena sleeping in a coffin.  She had Alaric erase her memories of Damon, she wanted to be human, so just write Elena as leaving MF and going off to have a human life.

Who would have thought that Jeremy and Tyler would be the smart ones.  They left MF, and moved on.  Of course, at some point, we will probably be informed that they were killed off screen like Lucy.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 3

I am conflicted about Bonnie/Enzo. On one hand the couple works better than I imagined, and I say this as someone who half-way shipped them during the tail end of season five. I am sold on them a hundred percent. But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder how the show will screw them up, which is likely to happen before the season ends.

I'm also a bit salty the show spent way too many episodes not building Bonnie and Enzo's relationship and basically compressed their courtship into a single episode. Plus, Enzo would have been better utilized this season if he'd been in Bonnie's orbit way sooner. What a waste, but what else is new when it comes to this show. Better late than never, I guess.

Edited by steelyis
  • Love 3

It seems most of you quite liked the Bonnie\Enzo thing. I personally loathed it. Not only do I find both characters irritating individually, I think their relationship is highly contrived and they don`t seem to be a natural fit at all.

Bonnie as a character has been treated very poorly by the script in the past, but when she finally gets to take centre stage, she spends most of the episode carping and whining about her bitterness and resentment of Damon. I feel like Damon has done way worse things in the past than put himself in solitary for a coupla years, so why is everyone getting their hate on big-time now? Bonnie`s acting like he was the love of her life or something, and it`s weird.

I`m also disappointed with Stefan for trying to come between Caroline and Alaric. He has no right to interfere, ESPECIALLY when there are two young children involved. He is usually more moral than this, which probably means it`s another example of poor writing.

Finally, is anyone else getting tired of seeing the whites of Enzo`s eyeballs so much?

• Love 1

I wasn't a Bonnie/Enzo shipper but his NYE dinner was very sweet. Why is Bonnie the one who keeps ending up trapped alone with a guy for extended periods of time?

I would be trapped with Enzo for extended periods of time anytime! I've liked him since the beginning. I'm glad they are finally using him more. 

It would be hilarious if Caroline dumps both Stefan and Alaric, and runs off with Klaus.

I vote for this. Let Damon and Ric raise the twins ala My Two Dads style. Klaus has a baby Caroline can help raise. Hayley can go away anytime, but that's for another forum....

Edited by mccartygirl
  • Love 1

Very apt name for this episode methinks, as my post is about a show I used to know. I'm of the impression that filling in the blanks of stories heretofore told in flash forwards, would actually mean that an audience would eventually have full disclosure of what occurred, and that said audience would be satisfied, pleased with the information or actually be blank-less no more.  Sadly I'm clueless about the blankety blank blanks that were supposedly filled in regarding anything of relevance or importance. Further the reveal of the biggest blank (that Bozo relationship--yes Bozo) fell short of satisfaction. Hopefully Bonnie did get some satisfaction, cause I tried and tried but I couldn't get no satisfaction.

Vampire Diaries presented the flash forward 'hook' as a means to tell a story; what with shifting, broken, surprising alliances and odd relationship hook-up. At first view, there was promise, at least there was the hope of promise for better or more interesting, cohesive and consistent story telling. There were glimpses of some decent narrative and potential for some cool runnings; but the majority of episodes seemed to lack focus. This episode's quest to tell the 'now-from-then' story could have been better.

The crux of this week's 'filler inner', was about the titillating relationship of Bozo, told through interspersing flashbacks. I'm asked to believe that after being injected with some magic robbing serum, kidnapped, encouraged to take blood pills and kept isolated in a cabin for what..one year? two? (where she sees no one else and talks to no one else) she--falls for her 'jailer' Enzo. Having said that, I have to admit that when given a chance to shine Cat hits it outta the park every.single.time. This episode was no different. I actually did see a bit of chemistry between Enzo and Bonnie--I mean Cat has chemistry with anyone [maybe not Jer], and though I now know the genesis of that relationship, and though the setting and the mood of their 'courtship' had all the ingredients needed to make the scenes romantic, I am never completely bowled over by their passion for each other. Again I got no satisfaction and I tried, I tried.

I just find it incredulous that Bonnie needs to take anti-magic pills. Why? And with this revelation, I am struck, yet again by the apparent ineffectiveness of this Bennett witch when the mythology suggests that they are strong and important witches that's able to move heaven and earth. Every witch, it seems, is stronger than she.

Here's my other on-going observation.  Bonnie's emotional investment in Damon and his for her feels more like those of lovers than best-ties--though the idea of best friend and lovers aren't mutually exclusive. I see more passion in Bonnie's 'you don't bring me flowers -you don't sing me love songs' attitude and in the protestations of her so-called disgust with Damon for betraying her, leaving her or whatever, than her 'love affair' with Enzo (even as gorg as he looked). Incidentally, did Damon ever bring Elena flowers? I may have missed the number of times he did, what with me FF their scenes and all. And should Damon know what kind of flower Bonnie likes? Is that a discussion best friends have?

The present day scenes with Damon, Bonnie, Enzo, Stefan and Ric hark back to the same old, same ole--everyone's disgust with Damon's ways (as if, BTW, they hadn't known the type of man he was all along). But at this point their disgust with him doesn't prevent vampires and former vampire/vampire hunter working in tandem with Rayna to save Bonnie. The Bonnie and Clyde-esque vampire hunting sequence was actually fun to watch. Of course Bonnie's impending death was dramatically construed to highlight the urgency of the situation. At this point the (Rayna/Armory) presence in the story has just been this giant black hole. The mythology is flawed and the impact of it's importance to the story doesn't quite connect--at least not yet. BTW, where in the world is Matt? Is he the scary thing in the basement? I kid of course, but I do dread the episode where I am (mis)treated to his and Penny's back story. Oh?? we may not see his story you say? It is my prayer to the story gods (although my prayers for a fab season has not been answered).

I [too] feel as if I'm in the hell that is the Phoenix stone, and I actually ache to mention the disaster that comes in the form of Stefan and Alaric's moments. Pathetic dialogue and disastrous story line is no fun to watch. I have always questioned why Alaric was brought back and I have had no answers, only the same questions--why? I am sure as Phoenix hell that I hated Alaric speaking on Caroline's behalf. Did Stefan not write to Caroline? Did she return his letters unopened? In any event Stefan was kinda rude being all up in Caroline and Alaric's business. It's clear they (MFPTB) are setting up another Bermuda triangle, this time involving Stefan, Caroline and Alaric. *sigh*

This is what it sounds like when I cry...

Rest in Peaceful Purpleness, Prince...

• Love 1

Bonenzo - I'm on the Outside Looking In

Boy was that all kinds of purr-dee. Bonnie got "some" and Enzo was completely doting on her.

One second while I remove my rose-colored glasses. I need some splaining to my questions.

Why was it necessary for Enzo to inject Bonnie, with lawd knows what, a second after she thanked him for saving her from The Armoury's goons?

Why was it necessary for Bonnie to be physically isolated from everyone but Enzo?

Why didn't Enzo know that the pills could possibly have a deadly side effect?

Why doesn't Enzo get the urgency in saving Bonnie first, then practicing the guitar?

Why is Enzo soooo in love with Bonnie?

Why is Enzo so confident that Bonnie won't forgive Damon?

Why do I feel Enzo would turn Bonnie in a heart beat to keep her with him for an eternity? Not to save her, but to keep her for himself.

Why does Enzo think that being with Bonnie for 3 years is much more meaningful than being with Damon for 7 years with all it's good, bad and ugly moments?

Why does Enzo think that what he thinks he has with Bonnie is more than what he hopes she had with Damon?

Why did Enzo let bonnie believe she was staying with him on her on terms when he was clearly seducing her from the moment she walked into that cabin? Subtle moves, but moves nonetheless.

Why is Bonnie leaving her well-being in the Enzo's hands?

Just a few questions that have 3 episodes to be answered. Or, maybe I'm just completely overthinking this.

This is what it sounds like when doves cry.

My tribute to The Artist Always Known as Prince to me. Rock on in the afterlife.

• Love 3

The crux of this week's 'filler inner', was about the titillating relationship of Bozo, told through interspersing flashbacks. I'm asked to believe that after being injected with some magic robbing serum, kidnapped, encouraged to take blood pills and kept isolated in a cabin for what..one year? two? (where she sees no one else and talks to no one else) she--falls for her 'jailer' Enzo. Having said that, I have to admit that when given a chance to shine Cat hits it outta the park every.single.time. This episode was no different. I actually did see a bit of chemistry between Enzo and Bonnie--I mean Cat has chemistry with anyone [maybe not Jer], and though I now know the genesis of that relationship, and though the setting and the mood of their 'courtship' had all the ingredients needed to make the scenes romantic, I am never completely bowled over by their passion for each other. Again I got no satisfaction and I tried, I tried.

I just find it incredulous that Bonnie needs to take anti-magic pills. Why? And with this revelation, I am struck, yet again by the apparent ineffectiveness of this Bennett witch when the mythology suggests that they are strong and important witches that's able to move heaven and earth. Every witch, it seems, is stronger than she.

Here's my other on-going observation. Bonnie's emotional investment in Damon and his for her feels more like those of lovers than best-ties--though the idea of best friend and lovers aren't mutually exclusive. I see more passion in Bonnie's 'you don't bring me flowers -you don't sing me love songs' attitude and in the protestations of her so-called disgust with Damon for betraying her, leaving her or whatever, than her 'love affair' with Enzo (even as gorg as he looked). Incidentally, did Damon ever bring Elena flowers? I may have missed the number of times he did, what with me FF their scenes and all. And should Damon know what kind of flower Bonnie likes? Is that a discussion best friends have?

I think almost every couples "love story" on TVD has been problematic realistically Elena/Bonnie/Caroline should have ran the other way and not consider any as a potential love interest.

The anti magic pills, the heretics, the armory and the huntress sls did not make any sense the writers keep forgetting to keep up with their sls.

I have no clue what is going on with Bamon, sometimes Bonnie did sound like a jilted lover and her ex has returned and she still holding on to his letter after all these years. Is she in love with him but she still doesn't realize it? Or are the writers adding this for shippers? I wouldn't be surprised if something happens with them but considering the writers didn't have the guts to let go of Elena and she is sleeping waiting for Damon, I feel like while it will make shippers happy in the end Bonnie will still get the short end of the stick.

Edited by roses

Trying to apply logic to this show just gives me a headache.  There were so many directions the writers could have taken the characters with the flash forwards, and this is what they came up with.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the, "We hate you Damon.  All you do is cause problems, put us in danger, and get people killed.  How dare you try to prevent that from happening by putting yourself in a coffin," brigade.

I think KG, MM, and IS work well together, but Bonnie's relationship with either of these guys makes no sense because the writers couldn't be bothered to show how they got to this point.

• Love 1

I know, it feels like we are missing a seasons worth of development to get us to the point that Bonnie needs to acting like a woman scorned and Damon looking on with his ambiguous pinning/sad/jealous look, considering 3 episodes ago he didn't want to take the scar from Stefan because it potentially meant he would never see Elena again.

Not to mention all the random vamps that have daylight rings that have appeared from nowhere. Are we meant to believe that at the precise moment the Phoenix stone blew up, hundreds of vamps were in transition just ready and waiting for possession?

Are we meant to believe that Bonnie Bennett can't protect herself with her own magic? Her magic is supposed be all so powerful until she needs to defend herself.

I liked the benzo love story, but i'm not sure I'm a fan of how that came to be. Bonnie is just not that stupid to give up her magic abilities on the word of a stranger that has put her in danger in the past and betrayed them all.  Why on earth would she give up her best weapon- it makes no sense.

The flashforwards had so much potential, it's just a shame that the reality of them doesn't live up to what was promised. The payoff certainly does not merit the lack of stakes they afforded in the present, (since we knew was alive in the future). In hindsight, I think the flashforwards were a bust, it would have been better to let things play out chronologically, then maybe do a time jump. At least that way the impact of other stories may have landed better.

• Love 1

Trying to apply logic to this show just gives me a headache. There were so many directions the writers could have taken the characters with the flash forwards, and this is what they came up with.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the, "We hate you Damon. All you do is cause problems, put us in danger, and get people killed. How dare you try to prevent that from happening by putting yourself in a coffin," brigade.

I think KG, MM, and IS work well together, but Bonnie's relationship with either of these guys makes no sense because the writers couldn't be bothered to show how they got to this point.

I overlook the Damon is the bad seed commentary being spewed by every character on the show, except Bonnie and Stefan. I feel their PAIN is legit, but not so much the words the writers give them to express that PAIN. They both felt neglected, because they felt that Damon was telling them they weren't enough to make an effort for. What they don't know, but the audience does, is that that is the exact reason he chose to desiccate. He did it out of love.

Bonnie and Damon have taken 7 seasons to get to where they are at this point. Some of us see that as platonic love and some of us see it as romantic love. Either perception comes from a long arduous journey, but Bonenzo was done in a few minutes in a single episode. I'm buying that Enzo is DESPERATELY in love with Bonnie, but I don't think she loves him the same way. I don't think Enzo realizes that Bonnie and Damon are connected, and this bump in the road is just that, a bump in the road.

The thing that bothers me about Bonenzo is, does Enzo want Bonnie for Bonnie or because he thinks Damon wants Bonnie? Everything that he has said tells me he wants what Damon had with Bonnie and more. Enzo is a romantic. He wants that in his relationship with Bonnie. The thing that bothers me is, he didn't let the relationship develop on its own. It was a subtle seduction from the beginning.

The writers could be shipper baiting with Bamon, who knows. It won't be the first time. However, if I stop asking why, there are bits and pieces to enjoy about the show. I'm not trying to take this stuff too seriously anymore, because all the good drama is in Bamon fanfic for me. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that fanfic isn't canon but TVD, the show, is. I've read the first two books, and they are interesting. It's not my normal fare, but I wanted to be able to discern the differences between the book characters and the series characters. To me, Stefan is the same. Elena is more fleshed out in the series. She is self-absorbed in the books, IMO. Damon is dark and brutal in the books. The Damon we saw in the first episode of the series. Caroline never liked Elena, because she felt she had to always compete with her. Meredith and Bonnie were Elena's BFF's.

I don't know much about book Bonnie, except that she was a red-headed waif and that she was loyal to Elena, but I love the character because of what KG brought to the series Bonnie. I cannot separate them. Bonnie is Bonnie to me.

Well, anyhoo. Did not mean to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read the books, and if I've put this comment in the wrong thread, feel free to remove it.

Edited to correct typos.

Edited by bobbysgurl
  • Love 3

I overlook the Damon is the bad seed commentary being spewed by every character on the show, except Bonnie and Stefan. I feel their PAIN is legit, but not so much the words the writers give them to express that PAIN. They both felt neglected, because they felt that Damon was telling them they weren't enough to make an effort for. What they don't know, but the audience does, is that that is the exact reason he chose to desiccate. He did it out of love.

The thing that bothers me about Bonenzo is, does Enzo want Bonnie for Bonnie or because he thinks Damon wants Bonnie? Everything that he has said tells me he wants what Damon had with Bonnie and more. Enzo is a romantic. He wants that in his relationship with Bonnie. The thing that bothers me is, he didn't let the relationship develop on its own. It was a subtle seduction from the beginning.

Damon is motivated by love, whether that is romantic, familial or friend/platonic, that much is canon and very much the core of Damon's personality. What I don't understand is why after all these seasons and development, no one seems to understand this about him except for Elena.  Stefan in particular seems blind to this even when he has been practically drawn  pictures and had it spelled out to him over and over again. He has brief epiphanies then he regresses back into his S1 way of thinking. On the other hand, Damon understands Stefan extremely well, as demonstrated in the episode "into the woods". He knows exactly what motivates him, and what makes him tick. 

I had hoped that Bonnie understood this about Damon too, but it seems that as soon as there was a bump in the road, everyone is quick to assume the worst. Bonnie does not have the full facts as to why Damon chose to dessicate, but she has chosen to not hear him out or let him give his POV. In short, she has judged and condemned him without trial. There is absolutely no empathy from anyone for his pain, but he is expected to mitigate his actions for everyone else.

I haven't heard a single word of support from Stefan the most compassionate, selfless, empathetic vampire that feels everyone else's grief so profoundly utter any sign of understanding for Damon or Elena's current predicament. He has been consumed with his own relationship, and vengeance all season to pay heed to Damon, instead he has judged and lorded over him, dismissing his valid grievances over his mother's treatment of them and Elena's enforced coma state. Stefan could forgive his mother for not being there for him, for abandoning them and replacing them with a new family,  but he can't forgive Damon for the one time in his life that he wasn't there immediately to take care of him? He berates Damon for holding on to hatred instead of forgiveness when he does the same the same thing in similar circumstances. He rejects Damon when he thought Damon had killed Elena, yet he forgives his mother for her part in Elena's demise? I do not get the logic in this at all. 

What gets me is that everyone has these massively high expectations of Damon, why is that? Is it because he showed them "better"? because if so, it's lost on him because he rarely gets credit for the things he does. The only thing Damon gets to hear from everyone is how awful he is, how selfish he is,  and how he ruins everyone's life. Ironic really since most of them come to him when they need to get stuff done, and Bonnie of course. In this episode and the last, despite doing everything in his power to save them, both Stefan and Bonnie are resolute in their dismissal of him, whilst accepting his help. That is wrong IMO.

Going back to Benzo. I don't think Enzo wants Bonnie because he thinks Damon wants Bonnie, I think Enzo wants the kind of unconditional loyalty that Bonnie has shown towards Damon for himself. He is all about loyalty, it's important to him, and he wants to feel he belongs. He was envious of the bond Damon and Bonnie shared and wanted that for himself, but it's not really about Damon per say. His motivation for siding with the heretics and Lily, then the Armory were about belonging and loyalty, and Bonnie made him think about his alliances. He admired Bonnie and respected her and her loyalty to Damon truly had him intrigued. He was once loyal to Damon, even after the Augustine stuff, and Damon was loyal to him. Both Damon and Bonnie combined saved him from the collapse of the other side and that meant something to him, hence his disgust at Stefan and his half-hearted attempts to find them.when they disappeared. Then the writers dropped the ball with him as fully admitted by Julie Plec. His latest rant at Damon re Augustine is retconned garbage, since we know why Damon left him.

• Love 3

I agree about Bonenzo, while I enjoy it terribly, they really gummed up the works in terms of not doing this sooner. But Bamon has 7 years of characterization that happened on camera so it's easy for me to see how they came to this place. Unfortunately for Enzo he is at this point, a glorified (and very attractive) interloper.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

miss-vanilla

When we yell and curse those close to us, we know the bond is strong enough to withstand the hurt that we are inflicting. We allow family, and Damon has referred to Bonnie and Alaric as family, to say and do to us, and get away with, what we do not allow outsiders.

This is why I overlook the pettiness in Stefan and my girl Bonnie. They both believe Damon wanted to desiccate for Elena, because he allowed them to believe it. I don't think it was cowardice, though IS said it was. I think the act was purely selfless. Damon hesitated, then shook it off before he closed the lid to the coffin. IMO, he knew he was doing the right thing and he chose to stick with the plan. He didn't rush into the plan. He gave it a lot of thought. He didn't allow either Stefan or Bonnie to dissuade him. That is a step up from the selfish Damon of S1.

Bonnie talks a lot of smack, but to paraphrase her own words: If you're truly done, then be done. Bonnie is really testing the boundaries of her relationship with Damon. She's pushing hard to see if he will leave her again. She knows he's not going anywhere deep down in her soul.

Stefan can't lose Damon, even if he wanted to. They are brothers.

I think if the writers had stuck with the brothers' deaths the way it happened in the books, maybe then I could believe the on again off again animosity they show to each other. Since that didn't happen, I side-eye the BS and go on.

The one thing I get from Damon if I never get anything else is, if he felt in anyway hurt by the treatment he is receiving from Bonnie and Stefan they'd know it. Damon is not pushing back because he knows they will come around. To paraphrase Kai: They always come back, every 11 trillion times. I guess that's how the show their love.

• Love 2

I want to like Bonnie/Enzo because he seems to value Bonnie - but their courtship was both abbreviated and...creepy.  Thw whole Stockholm Syndrome nature of this relationship bothers me. The intentional isolation and powerlessness weren't super sexy. There's also the impression that Enzo is more in love with love than with Bonnie (though that seems to be a recurring issue with various VD characters). I also don't really think the chemistry is there and that's a bigger problem for me. I think Enzo had more chem with Damon, Lily and Caroline and since this entire Bonnie/Enzo relationship has taken place in one episode...

I think if it had been given time and a real build I could care about it, but as it is? I'm just waiting for him to betray them again because his ONLY consistent character trait is his willingness to repeatedly betray this group for dumb reasons

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1

@Bobbysgurl.

Bonnie talks a lot of smack, but to paraphrase her own words: If you're truly done, then be done. Bonnie is really testing the boundaries of her relationship with Damon. She's pushing hard to see if he will leave her again. She knows he's not going anywhere deep down in her soul.

This makes sense.

The one thing I get from Damon if I never get anything else is, if he felt in anyway hurt by the treatment he is receiving from Bonnie and Stefan they'd know it. Damon is not pushing back because he knows they will come around. To paraphrase Kai: They always come back, every 11 trillion times. I guess that's how the show their love.

Not sure about this. What we know about Damon is that he uses sarcasm, humour and dickish behaviour to mask what he really feels. Perhaps this is the problem, he doesn't let people in very often because it's easy to get hurt. Elena had  a sixth sense for when Damon was hurting, and she honed in on it every time and tried to make him face it.

I agree that he probably knows or hopes that they will come around eventually.

Edited by miss-vanilla
  • Love 1

@Bobbysgurl.

This makes sense.

Not sure about this. What we know about Damon is that he uses sarcasm, humour and dickish behaviour to mask what he really feels. Perhaps this is the problem, he doesn't let people in very often because it's easy to get hurt. Elena had  a sixth sense for when Damon was hurting, and she honed in on it every time and tried to make him face it.

I agree that he probably knows or hopes that they will come around eventually.

We have seen, in past seasons, that Damon's heart could be touched.  He was ruthless in all things but his heart, so when his was hurt, he paid the perpetrator back with violence.  He never thought that by attacking Elena's brother that she could possibly hate him for the rest of his undead life.  He only knew that she hurt his heart, so he should hurt her heart by any means necessary.

Damon is no longer that guy.  He knew before he chose to desiccate that his decision would hurt both Stefan and Bonnie. That is why, IMO, he is not angry or hurt with them behaving the way they are toward him.  He was the one who inflicted the pain, so he has to deal with the fallout until they come around.

I don't think he is going to put up with Bonnie's hurt feelings too much longer, because she is jeopardizing her life.  He leaves no doubt that if Bonnie dies, so will Enzo.  He holds Enzo totally responsible for what is happening to Bonnie.  He has given Enzo fair warning.  The old Damon would have lobbed Enzo's head off or pulled his heart out of his chest, no matter what Bonnie said.

Elena observed Damon from a different point of view.  She watched his behavior when she was still with Stefan.  She recognized that he was vulnerable when it came to his heart.  She learned this about him over time, but it did not stop Damon from trying to hurt her whenever he felt slighted by her.

I'm always astounded by Damon when he behaves the way a human would.  He never disappoints or blindsides me when he behaves like a vampire, because that is what he is.  I think that those who know and love Damon, know this about him and have grown to accept him anyway.

• Love 2

Klaroline for life!  I will not give up hope!

I do feel bad for Alaric though.  That guy has a worst love life than me!  Cut him some slack, writers!

• Love 1

I do feel bad for Alaric though. That guy has a worst love life than me! Cut him some slack, writers!

I would if I thought Alaric loved Caroline but I don't think he does anymore than she loves him (which is not at all). I think Alaric is projecting onto her the life he could've had with Jo.

It really is something of a mess the two of them have gotten themselves into because there's no way it was ever going to work out long term and the more time it takes for them to realize it, the harder it'll be on the kids.

• Love 3

It is somewhat creepy that Bonnie's relationships with both Damon and Enzo came from being isolated. As much as KG and MM tried their darnedest to sell the chemistry, it is odd that she fell for him while really having no other person upon whom to rely and if my girl were that hung up on how another fella done her wrong, I'd be feeling fairly insecure.

• Love 1

Between her two "stuck with this fool" situations, I have way less of an issue with her becoming friends with Damon than becoming romantically involved with Enzo. There are plenty of friendships which begin with people being stuck together (let's be honest - that's what happens with a lot of people who grow up together or work together because they were in the same classroom/office for 7-8 hours a day for at least five days a week). Bonnie and Damon's friendship in 1994 began as both of them clearly not bothering to disguise how annoyed they were with each other, slowly growing into tolerance for each other, and then finally becoming friends who liked each other and trusted each other.

Bonnie and Enzo, on the other hand, started their secret cabin relationship with Enzo sedating her, kidnapping her, and drugging her. Then he took her to the cabin and just told her that it was for her own good. I mean, yes, he was telling the truth (this time), but it set up a very different dynamic between Bonnie and Enzo than there was with Bonnie and Damon. Bonnie and Damon were trapped together and were on equal footing. Enzo could come and go as he pleased and that alone set up an uneven relationship where she was dependent upon him for food, safety, news from the outside world, etc. He had way more power than she did in that situation, which is part of what makes it a little too Stockholm syndrome for my taste.

• Love 2

About the news from the outside world I am guessing she must have been in constant contact with some people in particular Alaric/Caroline?

I am wondering if thats why the writers had that line of her setting the rules to make it less creepy lol.

Edited by roses
  • Love 1
On 25/04/2016 at 11:04 PM, Oracle42 said:

I want to like Bonnie/Enzo because he seems to value Bonnie - but their courtship was both abbreviated and...creepy.  Thw whole Stockholm Syndrome nature of this relationship bothers me. The intentional isolation and powerlessness weren't super sexy. There's also the impression that Enzo is more in love with love than with Bonnie (though that seems to be a recurring issue with various VD characters). I also don't really think the chemistry is there and that's a bigger problem for me. I think Enzo had more chem with Damon, Lily and Caroline and since this entire Bonnie/Enzo relationship has taken place in one episode...

I think if it had been given time and a real build I could care about it, but as it is? I'm just waiting for him to betray them again because his ONLY consistent character trait is his willingness to repeatedly betray this group for dumb reasons

Stockholm Syndrome is such a good point. The more I've been thinking about it the more it feels true and the more Damon's "As in Bonnie was kidnapped and brainwashed into a relationship with Enzo." sounds like the most apt description. I mean he did kind of brainwash her by removing her from anyone she knew (with drugs) and drugging her so she couldn't use her powers which rendered her effectively powerless against him. Then he set to work poisoning her against Damon, which granted is an easy feat given what Damon did but it isn't in fact the truth.

When Damon left Enzo he really did abandon him for his own selfish purposes. Damon believed he was doing right by Bonnie when he abandoned her or else he wouldn't have done it. He certainly wouldn't have done it if he knew this was going to happen so from that perspective Bonenzo takes on a whole new level of ick factor. Plus given his snippy little lines throughout the season about Bonnie and Damon's relationship you have to wonder how long Enzo was waiting for an opportunity like this. Also considering Damon's entire reason for dessicating was the perilous situation that Enzo put Bonnie's life in, the entire mess is in effect Enzo's fault. He was jealous of their relationship from when he set Damon up to be killed which Alex St John has made clear was entirely Enzo's idea and doing and can easily be summed up as such. Even if Bonnie wasn't hurt and things had gone according to Enzo's plan, Damon wouldn't have given up Stefan or killed Tyler so he would likely be dead leaving Bonnie open for Enzo's voracious pursuit. Plus keep in mind he was already planting seeds of doubt in Bonnie's head about Damon's feelings for her as early as 7.05 when he told her that she should be in hiding because with her life tied to Elena she wouldn't last that long.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, slayer2 said:

Stockholm Syndrome is such a good point. The more I've been thinking about it the more it feels true and the more Damon's "As in Bonnie was kidnapped and brainwashed into a relationship with Enzo." sounds like the most apt description. I mean he did kind of brainwash her by removing her from anyone she knew (with drugs) and drugging her so she couldn't use her powers which rendered her effectively powerless against him. Then he set to work poisoning her against Damon, which granted is an easy feat given what Damon did but it isn't in fact the truth.

When Damon left Enzo he really did abandon him for his own selfish purposes. Damon believed he was doing right by Bonnie when he abandoned her or else he wouldn't have done it. He certainly wouldn't have done it if he knew this was going to happen so from that perspective Bonenzo takes on a whole new level of ick factor. Plus given his snippy little lines throughout the season about Bonnie and Damon's relationship you have to wonder how long Enzo was waiting for an opportunity like this. Also considering Damon's entire reason for dessicating was the perilous situation that Enzo put Bonnie's life in, the entire mess is in effect Enzo's fault. He was jealous of their relationship from when he set Damon up to be killed which Alex St John has made clear was entirely Enzo's idea and doing and can easily be summed up as such. Even if Bonnie wasn't hurt and things had gone according to Enzo's plan, Damon wouldn't have given up Stefan or killed Tyler so he would likely be dead leaving Bonnie open for Enzo's voracious pursuit. Plus keep in mind he was already planting seeds of doubt in Bonnie's head about Damon's feelings for her as early as 7.05 when he told her that she should be in hiding because with her life tied to Elena she wouldn't last that long.

I also get a whole Stockholm Syndrome feel from Bonnie and Enzo's relationship as displayed this episode, especially compared to how Damon and Bonnie became friends or even how Damon and Enzo became friends. In the latter 2 they were just stuck together with no one else to interact with so they had to learn to like or at least tolerate each other just to get through the day, but with the former Enzo just kidnapped her and intentionally or not made her afraid to leave while he courted her. I could buy Bonnie and Enzo's relationship a lot better if they hadn't tried to sell the whole thing in one episode and developed this relationship over several episodes while showing the two interacting with the rest of the world instead of being stuck in a cabin the whole time.

Also, Enzo? Damon didn't abandon you pal, he was literally UNABLE TO SAVE YOU and ran rather than die trying, and afterward believed you were dead for decades. He didn't abandon Bonnie either and I'm getting sick and tired of everybody on the show acting like Damon didn't have perfectly good reason to desiccate in a coffin instead of royally screwing everything up with everybody like he tends to do. Especially considering the fact that everybody on this show except for Elena after they got together has always been acting like the universe would be better off if Damon weren't around throughout the entire run of the show, even when he isn't being actively malicious.

Last but not least, these Anti-magic pills are nonsense, as is the writers trying to insult our intelligence by claiming Bonnie is going to die when we all know it's not happening. It's not like Bonnie was suffering from some magical plague that was making her magic go haywire so she took the pills to stop herself from blowing up Mystic Falls or something like that, she just wanted to avoid a locator spell. Witches 102 is apparently "How to Block a Locator Spell" right after Witches 101 "How to Do a Locator Spell" considering how often on both shows a Locator spell is stopped easily without having to slowly poison the person they're trying to hide. Hell, Klaus, Haley, and little Hope had absolutely no problem being hidden away for who knows how long on The Originals not to long ago.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2

I readily admit that I'm biased because I can't stand Enzo - but Bonnie is ridiculously loyal. Like, so protective of her friends that she's actually gotten killed twice trying to keep them safe - and she's suddenly in love with Enzo?

Enzo, who has betrayed all of them repeatedly for reasons ranging from dumb to pointless - that is a fundamental mismatch.

The last time they were in an episode together? Bonnie (awesomely) chopped off Enzo's hand to save one of her friends from killing another one of her friends.

The friggin Heretics got more relationship development! Everything about this relationship shows the standard lack of care that's been granted to Bonnie in general, her relationships in particular and the fact that it's F*ing Enzo?  http://giphy.com/gifs/6azDugIqeDt0A

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 1