Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: Brand New Contestants, Same Old Bears

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it wasn't what she did - but how she FELT inside when she did it. And what she ALMOST did. Maybe she saw herself going to a place where she was less in control of her actions and it freaked her out?

I agree with this.  Tracy felt herself getting out of control, something that she's been desperately working on to curb, and it scared the hell out of her. Probably reminded her of a situation wherein she DID lose control and felt like she caused (and took the responsibility and blame for) the ensuing violence and bad outcome. After her run-in with the bears, she just didn't trust herself and didn't seem capable of rationalizing her behavior (like other "normal" people would be able to do:  "I had to protect myself, it was a tense situation, I reacted the best I knew how, bears can kill people, etc.") Many folks who suffer from PTSD simply cannot heal from it, no matter how much time they spend in therapy.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

My husband was convinced Justin had to have been from the PAC NW (my husband is from OR), because of the way he was walking around in shorts. He said that his legs and feet just don't get as cold as the rest of his body and my husband was like, "Yes! That's exactly how I am!" But I think Justin is from KY, lol. 

I'm from FL originally so I certainly didn't grow up in the cold, but I did grow up wearing shorts everywhere. Of course SoCal isn't known for being cold unless you're in the mountains. I just "run hot" and I hate wearing pants. 

• Love 1
On 13/05/2016 at 3:59 PM, riverheightsnancy said:

I want to see Jose, editors. I know you are hiding him because, he likely wins and it is so obvious that you are not showing him a lot, but we can handle it. Show us what he is up to. 

He may very well win, but I doubt they'd hide him for that reason. It's far more likely that he wasn't giving them much to work with - not carrying a camera around, not narrating, etc.

Whatever the issue, I'm sure they addressed it during the season and we'll see more of him in the coming weeks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, derriere said:

He may very well win, but I doubt they'd hide him for that reason. It's far more likely that he wasn't giving them much to work with - not carrying a camera around, not narrating, etc.

Whatever the issue, I'm sure they addressed it during the season and we'll see more of him in the coming weeks.

If you look at the way they edit the season, they tend to focus more on someone right before they tap out and maybe a few episodes out. We did see quite a bit of narration from Jose in the one segment that we saw. I think that he and maybe a couple of others (Justin, maybe Mike & Nicole) last a while and we will see more & more of them later on, but hey, I could be wrong. But that is what I have observed between this season and last. If he lasts to the last episode, we will likely see 1/2 of an entire episode based on just him, so that is why I think that they are saving/hiding him. MMV

• Love 1

Are they allowed to bring any reading material? I don't mean books on How to Survive in the Wilderness. I mean fiction. If I had a big fat book to read during my down time, I'd be perfectly happy out there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

Are they allowed to bring any reading material? I don't mean books on How to Survive in the Wilderness. I mean fiction. If I had a big fat book to read during my down time, I'd be perfectly happy out there.

Nope!    They are not even allowed to bring paper and pen for journaling.  They want them to relate to the camera. 

3 hours ago, seasick said:

Nope!    They are not even allowed to bring paper and pen for journaling.  They want them to relate to the camera. 

That would be the deal breaker for me. I can't imagine being anywhere without a book.

• Love 7

Yeah, it would be rough to have to entertain yourself the whole time. I would probably try to sing full musicals, remember full books I've read (I bet I could piece together most of the Hunger Games series), and maybe make some sort of game, like Memory, by etching little pictures on wood pieces and trying to match them.

(edited)

I'd go Shawshank...

Carve chess pieces like Andy Dufresne.

and

Make a deck of playing cards with flat pieces of bark.

The obvious... whittle a Jenga set.

Of course, playing at Larry's camp would mean never winning at the tilted side of VI.

Edited by humbleopinion
d'oh
  • Love 1

Mr. HV finally got caught up on the last two episodes.  So I also watched them again. 

He is very disappointed that Tracey dropped, he had her pegged to win, but as a former police officer himself, he could see her PTSD and how the isolation encouraged too much introspection, so he understood.

He was gagging over the "I kissed a slug, and I liked it" moment.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2016 at 6:47 PM, humbleopinion said:

"I kissed a slug, her name was Barbara."

Katy Perry will need to rerecord her hit and have a Left Slug and Right Slug dancing with her.

We have our "2 Note Song" for the season, folks!

I kissed a slug and I liked it,
the taste of her cherry chapstick.
I kissed a slug just to try it,
I hope Barbara doesn't mind it.
It felt so wrong,
it felt so right.
Don't mean I'm in love tonight.
I kissed a slug and I liked it (I liked it).

:/

• Love 6
2 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

I kissed a slug and I liked it,
the taste of her cherry chapstick.
I kissed a slug just to try it,
I hope Barbara doesn't mind it.
It felt so wrong,
it felt so right.
Don't mean I'm in love tonight.
I kissed a slug and I liked it (I liked it).

:/

Love it! haha  I think that Mike will have good humor over it. He knew that he will get razzed just for telling the story. He even alluded that it was probably not the best story to tell the camera. I found it quite endearing. At first I thought he was gonna say a bear, and that would have been more seriously dangerous! 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Apparently the "deeper cut"  repeat episodes are named in homage to MK.

This occurred to me as well!  I expect all of the promos for the show are going to end with her bloody, shaking hand for the rest of the season.

• Love 2

I swear, he is such a downer (not saying I'd be any better).   I hope he is the next to go because as I said last week, there's something about him I just don't like.  Can't figure out what it is, precisely.  

• Love 5

I really can respect Nicole's willingness to eat all those parts of the salmon (like the eyes). I couldn't do that. She has come up in my estimation for sure. Come on, I want to see Jose for God's sake. And Randy too. Anyone think that Justin is gonna get really hurt on his jungle gym? 

Well, poo.  A whole couple minutes of Jose.  

There are some much better looking shelters than last year, that's for sure.  

The pee tube was.......innovative.  I can see the advantage vs going outside.  lol

• Love 2

"Kelp urinal". I must work that into conversation somehow. OMG Jose is so zen. I just love him. I agree that these guys seem like they were more prepared for a longer stay by really making better structures, but next week is foreshadowing how the isolation starts to wear people down. Of course,

Spoiler

Larry is shown to be battling a mouse and threatens to burn the camp down if the mouse keeps eating his stuff! haha Never change Larry, never change.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like Justin and his gym. I would have to make something like that to keep from going nuts. I'm amazed at the sturdy shelters being built so early. Nicole cracks me up, and that fish looked like a steelhead trout. Edited to acknowledge it was a chum salmon. What do I know about fish? LOL

Larry finally got some food. Thank God, because I was going to ask him to tap out if he kept complaining. David got a nice fish also, but he is fading fast.

Jose must not be filming anything unless something happens. So far, he's boring to me, but that could change.

Edited by cooksdelight
(edited)
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

What the hell is in Nicole's gill net? A shark? It is huge. 

Looks like a salmon to me.  Hubbie says it is too, and he's done a lot of fishing.

Editing to add, I think I may have a bit of a crush on Justin.  Swinging off the tree, "Muscle Beach"  Ha!

Edited by muffkins
  • Love 1

I thought Nicole was going to be the next one on the wounded list when I saw her whittling something on her thigh with a scimitar.  She can't know what happened to MK; if she did, she might be more careful.  She seems nice and I'm impressed with her skills but her perkiness and constant chatter would drive me nuts in short order.

David is Mr. Gloom.  I'll be surprised if he lasts much longer.

I was looking forward to seeing what Mike had added to his little settlement so I was disappointed not to see him at all.

I think maybe Jose isn't using the equipment correctly. More than half of what he said tonight had to be captioned because you could barely hear him. It's only day 13 in Alone time, so assuming that the contestants are visited once a week, on day 7 they would have submitted their first footage. Maybe by the next visit on day 14 the editors will have reviewed the tapes and will get word to Jose that he's just not doing it right.

Did they show Mike at all tonight?

Randy looks like he's gotten over the depression of losing his ferro rod and is moving on to be depressed about other things.

• Love 5

I was expecting Jose to have a cabin. All we could see was a tarp.

i was so happy for Nicole! That was a big ol' salmon. Too bad she didn't have bagels and cream cheese to go with her smoked salmon. ;-) I liked her shelter, too, with the door and all. Randy's shelter was nice, too. Missed Mike.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I say David is the next to tap. 

Was surprised he didn't this week. He looks "beaten" already, if you know what I mean? I know the fish catch picked him up but...

And then Randy, please, because he looks like he's a step away from crazy pants. Although, I have to say, his log lean to looked impressive! But living hand-to-mouse is not going to work...

Nicole: Awesome shelter, looks so snug. Her excitement over the chum salmon made me laugh, and the fact she was not at all squeamish about dispatching it. And she showed a little more caution regarding the possibility of the bears being around. After last week, I wondered if she might be too "Snow White talk to the animals" to make it safe to stay. I was thinking how chipper she still is and wondering if she's in for a really hard mental fall. I know the previews show them all looking morose, but they were all starving last week so it's hard to say from the editing. Might be just a temporary thing. 

Mike & Jose: More please!  I'm hoping the lack of footage means they've been around a lot longer. 

Justin: He's absolutely right about having the "gym", which made me laugh. I thought they'd have enough to do, especially in the early days (setting up shelters, camps, projects) to give them enough activity but clearly not, and as he said it's good for his mental health. VI rain can suck the life out of anyone (as a recent transplant to the island, I can attest to the misery of the winter). 

And who said "Larry, never change"? I'm with ya on that one!

Also tonight was the first time I realized the "Deeper Cut" version with Alan's commentary was available on Cdn History, so I was really excited about that (it's the little things, don't judge). Really enjoyed his insight and funny remarks. 

• Love 4

Where the fuck was fucking Larry? 

When Randy was building his log cabin lean-to, was I the only one who wanted him to find some moss to plug the holes like the Lewis family does on The Last Alaskans? I learn so much from watching television!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I say David is the next to tap. 

If he doesn't I'm going to ask him to go!   He talks about this experience as misery, enduring, putting up with etc. And the real misery--the constant freezing rain hasn't even started yet!  It's been honeymoon weather the past 2 weeks.   He's been 'so broke' this year..  perhaps a job/second job a better choice than disappearing into the woods.  

So impressed with Randy!  Fire seems not a problem.   Made his 3 sided log cabin in no time!!  

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think maybe Jose isn't using the equipment correctly. More than half of what he said tonight had to be captioned because you could barely hear him. It's only day 13 in Alone time, so assuming that the contestants are visited once a week, on day 7 they would have submitted their first footage. Maybe by the next visit on day 14 the editors will have reviewed the tapes and will get word to Jose that he's just not doing it right.

I've been wondering about that myself.  I would have thought that by now they would have helped him straighten his camera problems out if that were the issue, but who knows?  Mr. Snarkle and I keep thinking it might be because Jose is one of the final people and they don't want to show that much of him until later so as not to give him so much more camera time than the others.  But I wouldn't mind watching more of him.  Now we're almost paranoid about who's going to go next based on how much camera time they get.  The more they show of someone the more we think that maybe they're the next to go.  It's actually annoying to feel that way!

Regarding Nicole and the chum Salmon, Mr. Snarklepuss reminded me that we just watched a cooking show with Jacques Pepin in which he taught us that the meat on a chum salmon is not as good as other types of salmon but the roe is better.  Never mind the bagels and cream cheese, bring on the caviar!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

Jose has to be very boring in his footage or he is not using things properly. I am going to be annoyed if he wins because we have seen so little of him. I no longer care about him. He has been AWOL the entire freaking show. I know nothing about him or how he started the adventure out. I am not invested in him and will feel cheated if he wins it all.

Nicole is awesome. I love her shelter and her attitude. She was so excited when she caught the salmon and was so willing to eat as much of it as she could. I love the joke she told her kids, eat the eye balls and you can see underwater. She has a really good attitude, has built a great home and seems to be in a very good place.

David is driving me crazy. Clearly money has been tight and he hates that. His comment about having to tell his kids no all the time is heartbreaking. And yet his attitude is so awful. He seems to be the type of person that internalizes bad stuff and can easily work himself into a funk. That can be hard to deal with and working yourself out of the funk is just hard.

Randy built a great shelter. I am sure he will be filling in the gaps and maybe insulating it with fronds in the near future. Now he has to figure out how to get some food in. I am also curious how he is going to close off the front, because right now it is a three sided structure. I wonder if there would be a benefit to closing off half of the shelter as a bedroom/sitting room area for when the weather is awful and keep the rest open for a larger space to hang out in when the weather isn't awful.

I like Justin and his attitude. I think the gym is a great idea if you are getting enough food. Keep the muscles in good shape, help maintain flexibility and give yourself a way to work off some of the stress and boredom. Is Justin the one who was talking about the military? He has a good idea about how to handle the solitude.

There was no Mike this week, which was fine because he has been featured a fair amount. We know how he is set up and how he is doing mentally.

There was no Larry this week either. I am fine with that because he is annoying.

I would love to see Larry, David and Jose tap soon. Larry and David because their attitudes are defeatist and annoying. Jose because I am not invested in him and I don't want to see someone advance who I know nothing about.

I would love to see Nicole, Randy or Justin win. I like their attitudes and approach to the adventure. I like that they are all pretty level headed and taking a day by day approach while still prepping for the future.

I would be ok with Mike winning because he knows his stuff but he is a bit manic. Maybe the extended time out there will help him sort out issues like it did Lucas last year.

• Love 3

After watching my first episode of the deep cuts, why oh why can't they make Alan's comments in the same size type as the subtitles?? I can't read a thing he says unless I am sitting one foot away from my TV. And I have a large TV!! Graphic design fail on that one.

• Love 5

A long time lurker here! Finally decided to join in the conversation. I watched last season and i love all top 4.

Anyway, i read other forums about this show. It's funny how different other forums opinion on MK and Tracy incident. The people here seems more forgiving and understanding than the other forums (cough survival forum cough). 

Poor Larry got hilly terrain. He must be pissed when he watch the show and see other guys get flat area. It's painfully funny watching him cursing but can't help to be happy for him when he caught the fishes. His camp seems cozy but didn't he set it up on the hill between 2 dead trees? Wonder how that camp will hold up in the crazy rain and wind. 

Mike... We get it. You love Barbara. I remember in episode 0 Mike said something like "I'm grateful that she likes being married to me."  that sounds weird to me. 

I'm rooting for mike, Jose, Nicole and Justin. I don't really care about David. 

• Love 3

David saw his therapist couch (the log he likes to recline on and slip into full gloom and resting sad face) get washed away.

Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Sigmund Freud...

David reveals he HAS to win the money to make up his inability to provide for his kids, for the divorce and his choice of low paying occupation.

He had the 1000 yard stare which means if he doesn't find a way to psychologically pull himself back from the abyss he will be the next to tap out.

The self realization that he hasn't been putting in his best efforts to provide the basics for himself in the 2 weeks of good weather will come to head if there is an extended period of miserable weather.

Put a clock on David, get the fork ready because he looks done...

Did anybody else think that if a good stiff wind coming in at the right angle will blow Nicole's house down and crush her under the weight of the

unsupported logs?

They don't look structurally as sound as Randy's walls but leaning on each other to counter support their weight.

Especially worrisome is that 2 ton door.

Randy's shelter is coming together.

But he may be exhausting himself to the point of starvation.

He needs to put that much effort into fishing.

Why he isn't fishing all day, everyday puzzles me.

• Love 4
(edited)

Kelp urinal = GENIUS. Sheer genius. I did a slow clap on my couch. Also loved Muscle Beach, LOL.

Nicole's shelter is amazing. I second whoever said that her attitude about killing/eating the salmon was unexpected and spectacular. I hate it when people are super apologetic about killing animals for survival. You don't want to be gleeful about it, but don't be despondent, either, because you have to do it a lot.

Randy's legs are extremely sexy. I am a leg woman-slash-pervert. He has marathoner legs. Too bad he can't friggin' fish.

Jose's gotta start showing up. He barely appeared in this episode, but it was only the second episode this season I think he's shown up in at all. 

I missed Larry's brand of batshit this week.

David: whatever. I was annoyed by his "I hate saying no to my kids all the time" shit. His kids are more than old enough to have part-time jobs and make their own money. Most of us didn't have indulgent parents with lots of means, and we turned out just fine, TYVM.

I can't even remember the 7th person left.

ETA: MIKE. That's it. 

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5

He might be fishing but we are not seeing it because building the shelter, getting his fire, and hunting mice is more interesting. He seems to be the only person who is hunting for things other then fish and they are showing that. I think he said he needed fish but that hadn't gotten any yet which makes me think that he has been trying. It does seem like the fish are just starting to run and that we will see more folks having fishing success.

I do think the winner is going to last longer then Alan did because there a good number of folks who are focused on building good shelters, fire shelters and the like.

• Love 1

Randy's legs were a bit nice, weren't they?  Rowrrrrrrrrr!  And he's got the start of a really nice shelter - only needs the fourth wall for when winter really kicks in.  Plus a door to keep critters out.

Love Justin and his attitude and Muscle Beach.  He's got a good sense of humor, which will take him far.  Reminds me of Alan that way.  Still love Nicole.  Who'da thought that she would be the last female standing?  Love her shelter and her willingness to eat anything and everything edible.  She's got some good skills, though I do agree with whoever it was above about feeling a bit scared for her when she was cutting that piece of wood on her lap.

Either Larry or David will be the next to tap, I think.  And I hope we get a good bit of Jose and Mike next week to make up for not seeing much of them this week.  Did we see Mike at all?

• Love 4

Nope, no Mike this week. I want to hear about the continuing adventures (& romance) of Barbara the Slug!  I agree that Randy's legs are very nice. Is he the youngest of those left? I think so. Could play a part in why he is able to last longer without major food. Maybe he is someone who is naturally thin and doesn't eat a lot in general? I assume that he got the water stuff under control and is keeping his fire going. In some ways, I wouldn't mind him winning because he has overcome a lot of issues through willpower and tenacity and not too much whining (looking at you: Larry and David). Larry's face on the preview next week just screams anger issues to me. I thought that the process of eating the mouse was so gross though. 

17 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm sitting here eating delicious trail mix I made myself, and reading comments about the mouse.... and suddenly my trail mix tastes funny. 

Mousy goodness! Watch out for those tiny black seeds in the mix! haha

• Love 2