Type keyword(s) to search

S02.10: Klick -- Pre-Air Speculation and Live Chat

• Start Topic

Jimmy must make a hard choice; Mike takes control of matters; Hamlin delivers shocking news.

Hamlin delivering shocking news intrigues me most of all.  It could be so many things.  My speculations never come true.  Being sued for malpractice by MesaVerde wouldn't be so shocking.  Who is Hamlin delivering the news to?  Jimmy? The whole firm? Could they be under investigation?  Has someone reported Chuck's erratic behavior? 

Jimmy's hard choice is most likely about Chuck.

Mike taking control - does he actually kill someone?  No more half measures?

• Love 3

Hamlin delivering shocking news...Has someone reported Chuck's erratic behavior? 

My guess is they will spin the fall as being result of a stroke or something neurologically documentable rather than electro sensitivity--although his sensitivity seemed so real last episode. Anyway, the shockingest news woud be his retirement--or death. Of course the shocking news might not be directly related to Chuck--it could be HHM merging or something.
  • Love 1

My guess is they will spin the fall as being result of a stroke or something neurologically documentable rather than electro sensitivity--although his sensitivity seemed so real last episode. Anyway, the shockingest news woud be his retirement--or death. Of course the shocking news might not be directly related to Chuck--it could be HHM merging or something.

Wouldn't that be interesting.  I have always wondered if he did not have some sort of brain problem -- tumor, something -- that wasn't diagnosed when he was in the hospital last season.  Did they even do an MRI?  Any kind of brain scan?  I don't remember, I don't think he would have consented given his fears.  Maybe his episodes that we see are some type of seizure?  Anyway, it has me thinking that if the news is Chuck's retirement . . .

Maybe he finally has to admit defeat and realize that he is making mistakes and can't practice any longer.  Jimmy's dilemma might be in telling the truth and letting Chuck know he isn't losing his legal edge, or letting the lie continue and Chuck goes down.  If retirement is what happens, HHM could be hurting because Chuck will be due his share upon leaving the firm.  They lost Mesa Verde, they may lose other clients once word gets around, maybe Jimmy's hijinx at the copy shop really has some huge fallout.

• Love 1

The writers have a done a marvelous job of giving many plausible options for story development. I'd guess Mike is going to intervene in the truck driver's execution, who, it seems to me, Tio has no choice, given Tio's world view, but to kill. That intervention might easily end with Tio rendered speechless, in a wheelchair, and Nacho dead.

The Jimmy story arc could go anywhere.

I'm guessing Jimmy may finally make the choice to have Chuck committed, as recommended by the doctor early in season one after she proved to Jimmy and Kim his condition was not real. (Is it possible the same actress is there briefly in the hospital part of the preview?)

There has to be some reason for us to have 'met' Rebecca several episodes ago -- more than just to show us that Chuck believed he had another reason to resent Jimmy.  So I am thinking that she will show up to deal with whatever happened to Chuck (I think he dies, mainly because back in Season 1 I thought he would eventually die and be a catalyst for Jimmy to go full Saul, but he could just be badly injured). 

Meanwhile, Kim will realize that she (and Jimmy) just inadvertently contributed to Chuck's injury (or possible death) and she will end things with Jimmy for good (which is probably not a bad idea for her).

Jimmy -- on the rebound from Kim and angry -- will find comfort with Rebecca and she with him, and they will get together.    (Probably not, but it's an amusing thought!)   After that, I'm not sure if there will be a time jump in Season 3 where we find out that things between Jimmy and Rebecca went awry, or if they will still be together... but at some point things will go awry.  I just can't think of any other reason why we needed to see the Chuck-Rebecca-Jimmy dynamic other than to drive home the point about Chuck being jealous of Jimmy... which we already knew.

Edited to add:   Or, maybe we will finally get a sense of whether or not anything already happened with Jimmy and Rebecca, in the past, that we have not yet learned about.  In other words, nothing may happen between them now, but if it already did - fueling Chuck's anger at Jimmy -- maybe we will finally learn it from Jimmy (or Rebecca).

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Hamlin delivering shocking news intrigues me most of all. It could be so many things. My speculations never come true. Being sued for malpractice by MesaVerde wouldn't be so shocking. Who is Hamlin delivering the news to? Jimmy? The whole firm? Could they be under investigation? Has someone reported Chuck's erratic behavior?

Jimmy's hard choice is most likely about Chuck.

Mike taking control - does he actually kill someone? No more half measures?

Chuck is dead and his kid brother Jimmy, who inherited his share of the firm because Chuck's revised will was invalidated by a suspicious typo, is taking over his spot as senior partner, as HHM does not have the cash to buy him out. :)

• Love 5

Chuck is dead and his kid brother Jimmy, who inherited his share of the firm because Chuck's revised will was invalidated by a suspicious typo, is taking over his spot as senior partner, as HHM does not have the cash to buy him out. :)

The humor resulting from that scenario has such huge potential that it makes me sad it won't happen!

• Love 1

It occurred to me while driving today (hey at least I'm not texting) that if Chuck does die as a result of this copy shop fiasco, maybe Jimmy's guilt over his part in it morphs into self-hatred and that is an eventual underpinning for his name change.  I pretty much hope Chuck doesn't die or go into a vegetative state, but something has to change the dynamic I think.  Another season of Chuck and Jimmy doing hurtful things to each other will be too repetitive. 

• Love 6

At first I thought the hard choice Jimmy was going to have to make was having to pull the plug on Chuck, but now I think the hard choice might be having to commit Chuck to either a long term nursing home or mental hospital. The head bang looked pretty bad so I think Chuck might need a long term nursing home. If Jimmy pulled the plug, I don't think Howard would be holding out a paper asking Jimmy if he "did this." I think that Jimmy's having to have Chuck committed/retired might cause Howard's firm to go bankrupt. That is Howard's shocking news; he can't afford to pay off Chuck. There's no money.  So how's Jimmy going to pay for Chuck's continue long term care. Good nursing homes are expensive.

• Love 3

My guess is they will spin the fall as being result of a stroke or something neurologically documentable rather than electro sensitivity--although his sensitivity seemed so real last episode.

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity is what's called a "nocebo effect." Essentially what this means is that the patient experiences very real negative physical reactions to an inert substance or environmental condition. People who claim to have EMH cannot actually sense electromagnetic forces when tested in blind studies. But it would be a mistake to say that they are faking their symptoms in any way.

(Nocebo is very similar to placebo in that both are psychogenic. The only difference is that the patient experiences a detrimental effect from an inert substance or environmental condition as opposed to a positive effect.)

Edited by xyzzy
  • Love 3

My ingenious use of Google shows that one definition of "klick" is to measure length - short for kilometers. It became popular among US soldiers in Vietnam. That leads me to speculate that it refers to Mike and/or the weapons guy trying out a high-powered weapon to target Hector.

**  A hectometer is a unit of length equal to 100 meters.  :)   **

I like Sherry67's idea of Rebecca returning to see to Chuck's affairs - if he's clinging to life. She may be the reason Jimmy has to make a hard choice. It's likely though IMO that Jimmy's choice has more to do with Kim in that she gives him an ultimatum.

• Love 2

The doctor already surreptitiously tested Chuck.  He doesn't have it.

He's definitely not actually sensitive to EM. No one is. But his panic attacks when he believes he is being bombarded by electricity are real.

• Love 4

The doctor in the ER proved to Jimmy and herself, and US, that Chuck is imagining his sensitivity to electricity, is deeply mentally ill, and needs to be committed.  Jimmy said no.

If the show spins that any other way, I call bullshit.

That moment in the ER was definitive about Chuck and about Jimmy.

Here it is after a 2 second keyword search:  

By the way, the last frame photo there in the embedded panel is Jimmy's "No." face.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

I like Sherry67's idea of Rebecca returning to see to Chuck's affairs - if he's clinging to life. She may be the reason Jimmy has to make a hard choice. It's likely though IMO that Jimmy's choice has more to do with Kim in that she gives him an ultimatum.

I have been thinking that Rebecca is dead, because Chuck still wears his wedding ring and most people wouldn't do that after a divorce.  Maybe they are legally separated and he still holds out hope for reconciliation. 

I was remembering that recently when Jimmy wanted to get Chuck to do or not do something, maybe it was involving Kim, he offered to erase James MacGill, Esquire from existence.  Maybe this comes into play again after whatever happens to Chuck.  Only not as part of a deal but voluntarily on Jimmy's part. 

• Love 2

My ingenious use of Google shows that one definition of "klick" is to measure length - short for kilometers. It became popular among US soldiers in Vietnam. That leads me to speculate that it refers to Mike and/or the weapons guy trying out a high-powered weapon to target Hector.

**  A hectometer is a unit of length equal to 100 meters.

The kilometer/hectometer tie in is interesting, I think you're on to something.

Klick was common GI slang when I was a child in Germany (military brat), before the Vietnam war. I'm guessing it originated in WWII (though WW1 is possible too), since that's how distance was counted in Germany and other parts of Europe.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

He's definitely not actually sensitive to EM. No one is. But his panic attacks when he believes he is being bombarded by electricity are real.

I have a disabled client with this syndrome. She mostly lives off the grid like Chuck and uses Sterno to cook. It is definitely just psychiatric but you can't tell her that.

• Love 1

I think we are going to find out that Chuck's wife died...my guess is suicide, because of the episode where Chuck kept pushing his wife to talk back to the musician she was having problems with. I think maybe she did and got herself fired, not the person she didn't like. Because she is dead, my guess, it that Jimmy will have to be the one making the medical choices for Chuck. Still not sure if Chuck is going to end up dead or brain damaged.

One of the more literal (and my favourite) speculations regarding the "Frings Back" Easter egg seems to be that we will only see Gustavo from behind in the final moments of the season.

So many ways this could all play out tonight. My guess is, before the VG credits flash on the screen, Kim severs her ties with Jimmy and Mike's drastic full measure brings him to the Chicken Man's attention. Oh, and Chuck never wakes up.

• Love 2

The only thing I'm certain of is that BCS is hands-down the best show on television, and I have zero doubt that whatever they have in store for us tonight is going to be absolutely glorious.

And then it's gonna be the worst time of the year... the longest possible time until more Saul. Dammit. I'm already mourning its absence.

• Love 7

The only thing I'm certain of is that BCS is hands-down the best show on television, and I have zero doubt that whatever they have in store for us tonight is going to be absolutely glorious.

And then it's gonna be the worst time of the year... the longest possible time until more Saul. Dammit. I'm already mourning its absence.

Amen.  It will be midwinter before we get a new episode, and where I live, winter just loosened its grip a few days ago (knock on wood).  That's just too long. 

• Love 2

So many ways this could all play out tonight. My guess is, before the VG credits flash on the screen, Kim severs her ties with Jimmy and Mike's drastic full measure brings him to the Chicken Man's attention. Oh, and Chuck never wakes up.

Well, this episode is actually the first since the pilot VG will have something more than a producer credit for (he directed and co-wrote it), so that would have to happen fast if it's before the VG credit. ;)

I know the Chris Hardwick discussion show franchise has always been called 'Talking ---", but the shows they've discussed have been called "Walking ---" and "Breaking ---". There apparently wasnt a lot of brainstorming over at AMC if they couldn't figure out the show should be called " Better Talk Saul".

Now Mondays will just be Mondays for 10 months.

• Love 2

In the same hospital! Imagine a shot from the back of the two of them looking out at [fill in your imagination here].

I was imagining them both being wheeled out of the hospital at the same time, or being wheeled past each other in the hall... but no interaction between them. Only the audience would see the connection.  Probably won't happen. But it could! 

• Love 2

I was imagining them both being wheeled out of the hospital at the same time, or being wheeled past each other in the hall... but no interaction between them. Only the audience would see the connection. Probably won't happen. But it could!

I expect some kind of nod to this. Having them in the same hospital separated by a privacy curtain might be pushing it too far. But passing wheelchairs in the hall, that would go nicely with the whole "small world" theme they've established for ABQ with the subtle callbacks andr references.

• Love 1

One of the more literal (and my favourite) speculations regarding

the "Frings Back" Easter egg seems to be that we will only see Gustavo from behind in the final moments of the season.

That's all I ever expected really, and I also thought it would be the last shot of the finale, probably without dialogue on his part.  We shall see!

I expect some kind of nod to this. Having them in the same hospital separated by a privacy curtain might be pushing it too far. But passing wheelchairs in the hall, that would go nicely with the whole "small world" theme they've established for ABQ with the subtle callbacks andr references.

I'm not sure about that, if they do it, they will make it work though. 

Edited by Umbelina

I have been thinking that Rebecca is dead, because Chuck still wears his wedding ring and most people wouldn't do that after a divorce.  Maybe they are legally separated and he still holds out hope for reconciliation.

I actually know quite a few people who continue to wear their wedding rings after the death of a spouse for years. 

• Love 2

I know someone in upper level research at a major telecommunications company who has told me about suppressed research by the big phone companies which illustrate that humans are susceptible to EMFs, just not in the way Chuck is manifesting. Tumors and changes in neurochemistry have been noted, along with reproductive organ changes (for people who put cell phones in their pockets). Even though Chuck's issues are perception based (somatic), doesn't discount the fact that he has psychological issues and the reactions are real. Very similar to OCD when a person does not follow their rituals. I would armchair that this would be based in perception/anxiety and controlling the EMFs, helps control his anxiety in general. I would not rule-out however, that Chuck could have some type of neurological issue as well though, which could be impacting his anxiety (i.e., EMF sensitivity). I have some neuro issues and sometimes I can "smell" cigarette smoke and I am home alone (no payoff or secondary gains by being "sick") and the windows are closed and no here smokes. There are conditions where these types of things occur, maybe not EMFs, but smelling things or tasting unusual flavors is not unheard of. 

I'm guessing Jimmy may finally make the choice to have Chuck committed, as recommended by the doctor early in season one after she proved to Jimmy and Kim his condition was not real. (Is it possible the same actress is there briefly in the hospital part of the preview?)

That would make sense.  I always thought it was odd you'd cast an actor of Clea DuVall's career for a 2-minute scene, never to be seen nor heard from again.

• Love 2

I know someone in upper level research at a major telecommunications company who has told me about suppressed research by the big phone companies which illustrate that humans are susceptible to EMFs, just not in the way Chuck is manifesting. Tumors and changes in neurochemistry have been noted, along with reproductive organ changes (for people who put cell phones in their pockets). Even though Chuck's issues are perception based (somatic), doesn't discount the fact that he has psychological issues and the reactions are real. Very similar to OCD when a person does not follow their rituals. I would armchair that this would be based in perception/anxiety and controlling the EMFs, helps control his anxiety in general. I would not rule-out however, that Chuck could have some type of neurological issue as well though, which could be impacting his anxiety (i.e., EMF sensitivity). I have some neuro issues and sometimes I can "smell" cigarette smoke and I am home alone (no payoff or secondary gains by being "sick") and the windows are closed and no here smokes. There are conditions where these types of things occur, maybe not EMFs, but smelling things or tasting unusual flavors is not unheard of. 

At one time in my area of the country, and I think nationally,  EMFs and dairy cow production and behavior was a hot topic.  I don't think it's ever been definitively resolved, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that data has been buried.  I also have questioned if things like a brain tumor were ruled out when Chuck was hospitalized, because I don't think he would have consented to an MRI or brain scan.  But regardless, I think the likely resolution is that he is either dead soon, or permanently incapacitated by the head injury.  I agree with Umbelina that the status quo is now a bit boring, we can't see more of the tit-for-tat between the two brothers without it being too repetitive. 

• Love 2

I know someone in upper level research at a major telecommunications company who has told me about suppressed research by the big phone companies which illustrate that humans are susceptible to EMFs, just not in the way Chuck is manifesting.

I did not mean to imply that electromagnetic fields are unequivocally harmless and I'm sorry if I've done that. I'm just pointing out that people who claim to have acute physical reactions to EMF don't reliably reproduce those physical symptoms when tested in blind studies. That is, they will have physical reactions when EMF is not present (but have been told it is) and have no reaction when EMF is present (but have been told it is not.) Whether Chuck has apparently EMF induced brain tumors, infertility, or testicular cancer is probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

• Love 1

I did not mean to imply that electromagnetic fields are unequivocally harmless and I'm sorry if I've done that. I'm just pointing out that people who claim to have acute physical reactions to EMF don't reliably reproduce those physical symptoms when tested in blind studies. That is, they will have physical reactions when EMF is not present (but have been told it is) and have no reaction when EMF is present (but have been told it is not.) Whether Chuck has apparently EMF induced brain tumors, infertility, or testicular cancer is probably beyond the scope of this discussion.

Yes, good point. It's like James Rand and psychics, they never can reproduce their gift in the lab! 

• Love 1

Alas, the time has come (in about 10 minutes).  Let's get ready to do this!  Live chat time!!! No more BCS for 10 months after tonight.

If there is anything shocking or supremely surprising happening tonight, it has been a well-kept secret.  I mean, putting aside the rumors, there haven't been any specific spoilers revealing a play-by-play rundown of a scene or anything (like there were back in BB days, or like there are in TWD forum).

I don't know if it's because Gilligan and company just know how to keep things hidden, or if people just are not as eager to find spoilers for BCS as they are for other shows.  Maybe a bit of both.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1

Well, that was very sad.  I felt bad for both Jimmy and Chuck, to be honest.  Chuck was crushed that mom asked for Jimmy.  So crushed and bitter that he couldn't tell Jimmy that she asked for him.  Just sad for all involved.

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1