Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E19: All In

Splitting the threads since there will be a separate editorial post on each. - ta

A mysterious woman who organizes illegal, high-stakes poker games arrives on Holmes and Watson's doorstep and tells them her life is in danger claiming to be a former associate of Mycroft, Sherlock's brother. However, as the pair investigates, Joan becomes suspicious that their new client isn't being truthful.

Promo:

• Love 1
A mysterious woman who organizes illegal, high-stakes poker games arrives on Holmes and Watson's doorstep and tells them her life is in danger claiming to be a former associate of Mycroft, Sherlock's brother.

Totally not show related, but: am I the only one who finds the syntax of this sentence to be painful?  Specifically: "tells them her life is in danger claiming to be..."

• Love 3

Totally not show related, but: am I the only one who finds the syntax of this sentence to be painful?  Specifically: "tells them her life is in danger claiming to be..."

I would have put a comma between danger and claiming since "danger claiming" is not a phrase or compound word that has meaning. Or maybe it is?

Silly question: Why are they airing 2 episodes on the same night?

• Love 2

Probably because they can? (And they can call it a two-hour event in the process!) I think they just have lots of Elementary episodes because it started so late due to football, and they don't want it ending in June, so they can use up two episodes in one night.

• Love 1

I often cringe at the sentence structure choices made in the episode descriptions (not just for Elementary either).

Elementary usually has 24 episodes per season and the finale usually airs in May so theoretically they didn't need to double up next week, but my guess is that the move to Sunday put them a week off (because the first Sunday episode aired ten days after the last Thursday episode).

• Love 1

Remember that this show started late in the season because of Thursday Night Football? Then it moved to Sunday and either got preempted by awards shows on CBS or it could not air new episode because there were such shows elsewhere at the same time (e.g. Academy Awards on ABC).

Edited by TV Anonymous
  • Love 1

Yet again I didn't see a single commercial for the show this week, leading me to wonder if it was on or pre-empted.  Fortunately I found out with about 45 minutes to go until 9 o'clock.  You'd think CBS would make more of an effort given that A) They were showing two episodes, B) the first was scheduled for 9 PM, only C) it was really 9:30 due to the Masters.

That said, it was an intriguing episode.  I spent so much time worrying that Joan would accidentally spill the beans about Mycroft that it never occurred to me to wonder if she and the woman were related.

I agree with the recapper: Joan does not need a sister.

I on the other hand am waiting with total breathlessness for Joan and her new half-sister to get to know each other and for how Joan thinks and looks at things reflected in the eyes of her half-sister.  It kind of balances things out with Sherlock and Mycroft.  It's fun and deep and all kinds of siblings-related betrayals.  Sign me up, please.  

• Love 2

I was wondering if they were going down the sister route, because, sadly, I find it rare for most network shows to have two Asian characters and have them not be related.  Still, I enjoyed the actress, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of her and Joan together.  And I have to think there will be some comedic goal if she gets to spend more time with Sherlock himself.

Hey, the one person who was played an actor I know (Daniel London), wasn't the killer!  But my favorite part about the case of the week was the involvement of the NSA and Agent McNalley.  He's always a fun antagonistic character for Sherlock and Joan.  Tim Guinee is always welcome on any show, as far as I'm concerned.

So, it sounds like Mycroft is doing well for himself, all things considering.  Sure, he's under protection and has to pretend he's dead, but, hey, he gets to live on an island.

• Love 2

I knew she was Joan's secret/long lost sister as soon as she showed up. You can't have two Asian people on the same show unless they're related!

Or dating.

IRL too - I spent my teen years working as a cashier in a grocery store.  I constantly heard

Customer: "You must be Mike Leung's sister!"

Me:  "No"

Customer: "Than you must be his girlfriend!"

ETA: Must is spelled with an "o" before coffee hits the brain.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

I'm not sure what I think about the half-sister reveal, but I have to say, as irritating as the sister is, the character pretty much popped from the get-go. She seemed a whole (obnoxious) person right away.

The mystery was pretty convoluted and I lost interest and didn't really keep track of it all that well. I can't remember if we found out who the Turks' actual customer was. Mycroft? Daddy Holmes?

• Love 1

The mystery was pretty convoluted and I lost interest and didn't really keep track of it all that well. I can't remember if we found out who the Turks' actual customer was. Mycroft? Daddy Holmes?

It was some unnamed country that was tired of having an economy "dependent on goat meat." Or as my friend calls those sorts of places, Crazy-stan.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1

I knew she was Joan's secret/long lost sister as soon as she showed up. You can't have two Asian people on the same show unless they're related!

I watched for less than 5 minutes-- turned it on after Grantchester, realized the episodes were bumped back and that I was coming in on the middle and decided to catch up later-- and all I saw was part of the conversation where Joan was like "Who are you, because you're not connected to Mycroft," and I predicted a half-sister. Now I'm sad that I was right and Elementary was that predictable...

• Love 1

I watched for less than 5 minutes-- turned it on after Grantchester, realized the episodes were bumped back and that I was coming in on the middle and decided to catch up later-- and all I saw was part of the conversation where Joan was like "Who are you, because you're not connected to Mycroft," and I predicted a half-sister. Now I'm sad that I was right and Elementary was that predictable...

Elementary has never been particular revolutionary television. I've primarily watched it just for the character interactions, but both of last night's episodes - and the season as a whole - have been very dull to me.

• Love 1
Well, there's one thing Lin did that I cannot condemn since I sure as hell would have done it too: rummaging through Watson's wardrobe.

That's when I guess that Lin was Joan's half-sister. Sister's shoes are fair game.

Speaking of closets, that one is not big enough for Joan's clothes, unless it goes straight through next-door-neighbor Trent's brownstone.

Edited by MaryHedwig

Or dating.

IRL too - I spent my teen years working as a cashier in a grocery store. I constantly heard

Customer: "You must be Mike Leung's sister!"

Me: "No"

Customer: "Than you must be his girlfriend!"

Maybe they were taking a stab at not going there by casting someone who did not look like she shared any genes with Lucy Liu, but for me it was just annoying when the reveal was made--almost as annoying as the immaturity of the character.

ETA: I could never buy Mycroft as Sherlock's brother either because of the difference of their physicality. My sister and I have very different faces (like our parents do too), so. maybe I just expect Hollwood to do better casting than real life.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

That's when I guess the Lin was Joan's half-sister. Sister's shoes are fair game.

Speaking of closets, that one is not big enough for Joan's clothes, unless it goes straight through next-door-neighbor Trent's brownstone.

I personally fanwank that Joan has also a dresser and/or another closet in the brownstone for the off-season and rotates her wardrobe. She and/or Sherlock may have a storage locker too. Another likelihood is that she buys mostly sample sizes and donates her clothing frequently to her favourite charity as we saw in a recent episode.

• Love 4

The one thing that immediately annoyed me was in the opening scene when the woman was so casual about seeing her window to the fire escape open (muttering "I don't remember leaving the window open.")  I used to live in NYC, and I would never think of leaving the apartment with the window to the fire escape open.  If I saw it open, I would have immediately left the apartment and called 911.   I mean, maybe since she was involved in illegal activities she wouldn't want to call the police right away, but I would think she would be smart enough not to walk right into the apartment. 

• Love 7

I thought Mr. We'll Fill The Cubicles Dude was clearly not very security minded if he knew he'd been involved in a robbery and everyone put their keys and such on the table and he didn't immediately change the locks to his sensitive stuff. I get that they were probably going for, since the keys weren't stolen, only imprinted to be copied later, maybe he figured it was fine since he did have his key; and I know it's very realistic that even those who should be more the most on top of things securitywise are not, still that seemed an especially dumb move on his part. During the reveal I was all "that key's still good?"

Elementary has never been particular revolutionary television. I've primarily watched it just for the character interactions, but both of last night's episodes - and the season as a whole - have been very dull to me.

I agree. I feel like JLM's talent is being wasted lately.

I personally fanwank that Joan has also a dresser and/or another closet in the brownstone for the off-season and rotates her wardrobe. She and/or Sherlock may have a storage locker too. Another likelihood is that she buys mostly sample sizes and donates her clothing frequently to her favourite charity as we saw in a recent episode.

During the late'80s-early '90s realty crash here, a friend and I had a plan to buy a cheap foreclosure condo for use by our wives as an overflow closet.

• Love 1

I suspect that there is one whole bedroom in the brownstone that is Joan's dressing room.  I bought my two-bedroom apartment with the intent of my second bedroom becoming a dressing room; it's still -- after two years -- just where I keep all the crap I don't want to look at.

Anyway: the whole conversation about Joan's closet has me thinking that I'd love to see a full plan of the brownstone for all floors.  There's a room we've (I think) only recently started seeing which I think is in the basement/cellar; it's where the fuse box is and I think they've used it in another couple of scenes in recent episodes.

• Love 2

I was so put off by Lin's characterization ("Ugh, Millenials, Amirite?!!") that all I wanted all episode was for Joan to lower the boom. I too don't see the need for a younger sister. And they totally did not make clear what her damage is that she'd be such a bitch to Joan. IIRC Joan's bio dad is a mentally ill homeless man; or isn't he, show?! He had another family? Where did this come from?

I grudgingly give props to the actress, she consistently pissed me off for the whole show so I guess she did a good job. Argh.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what I think about the half-sister reveal, but I have to say, as irritating as the sister is, the character pretty much popped from the get-go. She seemed a whole (obnoxious) person right away.

This show is really good at creating incidental characters as "real people".

Doesn't it go into Narnia?

• Love 5