Type keyword(s) to search

The Roles of Their Lives: The Awards Thread

• Start Topic

It's all hypothetical right now, of course, but I wanted to see what fellow posters thought about awards submissions, if you were the agent for any of the actors/writers/directors? Which episodes of the show would you submit for awards consideration?

For example, Sarah Paulson has "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" tailor-made for her submission tape. I think Sterling Brown was never better than in "Manna from Heaven." But I'm torn on others. Vance can't submit everything, can he? Just checking.

Per TVLine, Vance and Gooding would be classified as Lead Actor, Paulson as Lead Actress and everyone else is Supporting:

http://tvline.com/2016/04/01/emmys-2016-people-v-oj-simpson-lead-supporting-nominees/

(edited)

I just really need Sterling K. Brown to be recognized for his work. He came into this series an unknown, working with heavyweights and stars, and he still managed to stand out. That deserves some recognition.

Vance can't submit everything, can he?

If only! I think he should just submit the scene where he's in OJ's cell, telling him how much OJ inspired him at a low point in his life. That scene literally made me lean closer to my TV, that is how absorbing Vance was.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I really think just about everyone did such a fantastic job, some actors had more to play with than others, but kudos all the way around.  Even Cuba, though he was the weak link here, it wasn't because of his acting, it was simply because he was so wrong for this pivotal role.  As I said when it all started, I have a couple of friends who turned it off before the first episode finished, simply because Cuba was so wrong physically, face, height, body, voice, none of it worked.  They missed a fantastic series, but sadly, I doubt they were alone.

WAY back when this started I posted a touching interview with Cuba about what getting this roll meant to him, a chance to redeem all of the crap he did for fun and money after he got the Oscar, something he deeply regrets, because he felt it ruined his chances of being taken seriously by directors, or being offered decent parts.  Older and wiser, this roll meant the world to him, a chance of redemption.

I really hope he gets that, and I hope to see him in other work that can invigorate his love of acting.  I think it will.  This roll will get him attention, and I think directors will realize, that although the casting was so very very wrong, he still has what it takes for serious rolls.

• Love 3

I think the best showcase for Vance would be "The Race Card." It's the one episode in which he gets to display the character's full range, from legitimately aggrieved victim of racial profiling, to concerned mentor figure ("Whatever happens, don't do Fuhrman. Make the white people do him"), to whatever-it-takes courtroom scrapper ("Brother, I ain't trying to be respectful. I'm trying to win"), to hypocritical shit-stirrer ("Don't you girls ever use that word, ever" . . . "N*gga, please").

• Love 5

Yes, "The Race Card" really seemed like Cochran's showcase episode. Vance was just so good in every episode, it's hard to pick!

Thinking Travolta may submit either the Pilot or the episode where Shapiro comes up with the defense strategy (...The Dream Team?)

Unclear on Schwimmer, though. He got better as the series went on -- maybe "Conspiracy Theories" (that's where he saw Kris and had that scene with A.C., right?)

• Love 1

Per TVLine, Vance and Gooding would be classified as Lead Actor, Paulson as Lead Actress and everyone else is Supporting

To clarify that is speculation, actors can choose what category they submit though typically producers and the networks have a lot of control because no one really wants to selffund their campaign. Curious to see if they actually push for Cuba in the lead given the reaction to his casting.

To clarify that is speculation, actors can choose what category they submit though typically producers and the networks have a lot of control because no one really wants to selffund their campaign. Curious to see if they actually push for Cuba in the lead given the reaction to his casting.

Hopefully this makes sense, given the hour & other things.

Considering the miniseries was titled (subtitled?) The People vs. OJ Simpson & Cuba played OJ (even though the show was about the trial itself more than OJ, per se), to me that's reason enough to place him in the Lead Actor in a Limited Series category.

• Love 1

Whatever happens with the awards, I just know that the Limited Series categories are going to be the most competitive of them all at the Emmys. Between this, American Crime and Fargo I can think of a dozen people who deserve an Emmy and there are not enough to go around. It's really crazy.

• Love 3

Apparently at the Emmys, only writers vote for writing and actors vote for acting.

Tina Fey has always been classified as a writer and asked to switch this year so that she could vote for Sarah Paulson and Sterling K. Brown.

• Love 4

Apparently at the Emmys, only writers vote for writing and actors vote for acting.

Tina Fey has always been classified as a writer and asked to switch this year so that she could vote for Sarah Paulson and Sterling K. Brown.

This warms my heart, especially considering the number she did on Clark and Darden on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last year.

• Love 1
On 5/1/2016 at 11:36 AM, helenamonster said:

Wouldn't Britton submit for Guest Actress? She was only in what, 2 episodes? She couldn't have had more than 5 minutes of screentime in a 10+ hour miniseries.

This show is in the limited series/tv movie category there is no guest actor/actresses for limited  series.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This show is in the limited series/tv movie category there is no guest actor/actresses for limited  series.

Oh right, duh haha. But still, her screentime was so limited that unfortunately I don't see her getting a nom. She was an enjoyable addition to the whole thing, though.

• Love 1

The Creative Arts Emmy Awards (as in most of the "behind the scenes" type stuff, the children's/animated stuff, the guest actor/actress performance awards, & other stuff that would make the other Emmy Awards WAY too long) were presented over the weekend (on Saturday & Sunday nights, in a "split" ceremony for the first time). American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson took home 12 awards (I believe they have/had 22 or 23 total nominations, between this weekend's Creative Arts Emmys ceremony & next weekend's Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, in which the actors--like Cuba, John, Sarah [who's bringing the real Marcia Clark as her "date" to the Emmys, by the way]--& all the other "major" nominees for the show hopefully win their categories). They won, this past weekend, mostly in categories having to do with hairstyling (a victory for the real Marcia's bad 'dos during the trial, I suppose), sound mixing, & picture editing, along with 9 other categories. The complete winners' list, from both Creative Arts Emmys ceremonies this weekend, can be found here among other places:

http://m.eonline.com/news/793746/creative-arts-emmys-2016-complete-list-of-winners#

An edited version (usually mostly the acceptance speeches) of the Creative Arts Emmys ceremonies will air Saturday night at 8PM Eastern (& presumably 8PM Pacific) on FXX network (with 2 X's, not FX where the show airs) in case anyone's interested in watching.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

YES!  Sterling K Brown WON!  I'm so happy.  I thought he was one of the best things about this show!

Me too!  I loved that all the other nominees were so excited for him, and he got at least a partial standing ovation.

And now, yeah!!  Sarah Paulson too!

• Love 3

I'm pretty sure the show swept the Limited Series categories, except in Directing & Supporting Actress where I don't think it was nominated. But we also lost 4 of our 22 nominations in the process, because we had 3 nominees in Limited Series Supporting Actor & 2 nominees in Limited Series Lead Actor &  2 nominees in Limited Series Writing & only 1 of our guys got the award in each category. So, I think the most Emmys the show can win now is 18, if it didn't win all of them already. Still a good haul.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct some information & fix spacing.

YES!  Sterling K Brown WON!  I'm so happy.  I thought he was one of the best things about this show!

I'm just ecstatic to see him win! So deserved. Same for Sarah Paulson and Courtney B. Vance's wins.

It won for Outstanding Limited Series! Yay!

Thrilled to see this. I honestly think this show upped the ante for limited series and just television shows in general.

• Love 6

Well my crush on Sarah Paulson is now solidlfied.  I thought it was great that she brought Marcia Clark as her plus one but I adored her speech when she won the award.  As far as I am concerned Sarah Paulson can now win every award ever.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I'm pretty sure the show swept the Limited Series categories, except in Directing & Supporting Actress where I don't think it was nominated.

I believe it was nominated three times in directing (Pilot, Manna from Heaven and the Race Card), but lost. I'd like to think it split votes.

I'm so thrilled for this amazing show and this talented cast -- they embodied their roles, and they were absolutely terrific. I was happy about the nominations, too -- Travolta, Schwimmer and yes, Gooding, deserved to be recognized with a nomination, if not a win. And I'm just SO HAPPY Courtney B. Vance was so good, it made the Emmys forget how much they like giving stuff to Bryan Cranston.

I was also especially psyched about the win for the writing for the Pilot (1x01). I thought that was an excellent episode that absolutely set the stage.

Congratulations to this phenomenal series!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

I believe it was nominated three times in directing (Pilot, Manna from Heaven and the Race Card), but lost. I'd like to think it split votes.

I'm so thrilled for this amazing show and this talented cast -- they embodied their roles, and they were absolutely terrific. I was happy about the nominations, too -- Travolta, Schwimmer and yes, Gooding, deserved to be recognized with a nomination, if not a win. And I'm just SO HAPPY Courtney B. Vance was so good, it made the Emmys forget how much they like giving stuff to Bryan Cranston.

I was also especially psyched about the win for the writing for the Pilot (1x01). I thought that was an excellent episode that absolutely set the stage.

Congratulations to this phenomenal series!!!

Travolta may have lost for playing Robert Shapiro, but I think he ended up with an Emmy for the show anyway since it won Outstanding Limited Series & he had a Producer's credit on the show.

• Love 3

As someone who was glued to my screen while watching the show week after week, I am very happy that ACS: The People v. O.J. Simpson got recognized and won big at the Emmys last night. The show managed to keep me captivated until the very end despite me already knowing what the outcome would be.

Congratulations to the whole cast especially Sarah Paulson who was my personal favorite on the show with her amazing portrayal of Marcia Clark. It was so cool that she brought her to the Emmys as her +1 and that she got Marcia's name engraved on her Emmy. It seems that they have formed a beautiful friendship.

• Love 6

Sarah I was pretty sure was a lock, Courtney I saw as having a really good chance, but I really thought Sterling was gonna lose it to John or David. So happy to be proved wrong last night. Definitely the most pleasant surprise. He was one of the best parts of the show and it was so awesome to see him get recognized, especially since his fellow nominees from the show were bigger names.

And Sarah, love of my life. Way, way cool that she brought Marcia Clark as her date and her acceptance speech was perfect. She's just a class act all the way around.

13 hours ago, Eolivet said:

It was actually "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" that won for writing, and while I did think that "From the Ashes of Tragedy" was great, "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia" was the standout episode of the season for me and I'm stoked it got recognized for its writing. It easily slid into my top 5 favorite television episodes of all time.

• Love 7

Golden Globe nominations are out:

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
“American Crime”
“The Dresser”
“The Night Manager”
“The Night Of”
“The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Riz Ahmed – “The Night Of”
Bryan Cranston – “All The Way”
Tom Hiddleston – “The Night Manager”
John Turturro – “The Night Of”
Courtney B. Vance – “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Felicity Huffman – “American Crime”
Riley Keough – “The Girlfriend Experience”
Sarah Paulson – “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”
Charlotte Rampling – “London Spy”
Thandie Newton – “Westworld”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Sterling K. Brown – “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”
Hugh Laurie – “The Night Manager”
John Lithgow – “The Crown”
Christian Slater – “Mr. Robot”
John Travolta – “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2017-nominees-full-list-1201938375/

• Love 3

Congratulations to The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story on their Golden Globe wins!

BEST TELEVISION LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION: Sarah Paulson

• Love 3

American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace won the following Emmys tonight:

Limited Series
Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Television Movie - Darren Criss
Directing for a Limited Series, Movie or Dramatic Special - "The Man Who Would Be Vogue" directed by Ryan Murphy

Of note - Darren Criss is the first Asian American actor to win in this category, the second actor of Asian descent to win an Emmy in an acting category (British Pakistani actor Riz Ahmed won in the same category last year for The Night Of), and the first Filipino American actor to win an Emmy.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

List of Golden Globe nominations:

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Darren Criss
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Penelope Cruz
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Edgar Ramirez

And although it's not for this show, Connie Britton (who played Faye Resnick in S1) was also nominated for a Golden Globe:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Connie Britton (“Dirty John”)

Congratulations to American Crime Story for winning two Golden Globes!

Best Actor, Limited Series or TV Movie
Darren Criss, "American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace"

BEST MINISERIES OR TV MOVIE

“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story,” FX

• Love 1

The SAG Awards were the last major event of the television awards season and ACS: Versace garnered one prize, for DC's turn as Andrew Cunanan, on top of the several others had already had. The only other nominee from the show was Penelope Cruz; limited series do not have an "ensemble" category, as there is for TV comedy and drama shows, as well as for theatrical movies.