Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 04/04/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

...and to own & operate any motorized vehicle, one must renew their license, take occasional eye exams, pass various auto regulations, maintain the vehicle AND pay for insurance. Break too many driving laws & you lose your right to drive. There are no such restrictions for owning guns.

I am not against owning a simple firearm for protection, but not outlawing automatic weapons made specifically for war & killing is just bullshit.

Dahlia ~ Glad you found a good, effective way to stop smoking.

• Love 14

Joy spoke my thoughts re: gun control. If nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing ever will happen. I'm not surprised by Bernie, because he's voted against gun control in the past. If supposedly the "most liberal" option that'll be allowed for president (which in the end is just moderately liberal at best), is against gun control, I'm confident nothing will ever change on that front. Raven was surprisingly right that the government is the one to blame for allowing these kinds of guns to be sold at all. The clock must've hit twelve in her case.

Jedidiah is a moron. The only thing I can think is different between the two videos with average citizens cursing out politicians is the second one was a black man and it was directed toward her preferred presidential candidate. Whoopi is right; the people you're throwing slurs and offensive nonsense at aren't going to be peacable when you come into their areas, and it has nothing to do with freedom of speech (STFU, Raven). If Cruz wants to use his freedom of speech, he can face the consequences that come when others exercise their freedom of speech.

• Love 14
(edited)

^^Amen, GreenKnight.

At this point, I'm tired of Bernie Sanders. He has virtually no chance of getting enough delegates to win the nomination. Unless naked pics of Hillary shagging a Nazi show up online, she's a shoo-in. I just hope Bern has the decency to direct his support her way her when that happens. Sorry for going off-topic, Mods.

I will tune in for tepid topics tomorrow if Joy's moderating.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 7

So according to twitter Sunny and Jedediah will both be there. I am assuming Joy will be moderating, just not sure who if Paula and Candace will be there.

Anderson Cooper will be doing hot topics with Bernie being the guest.

• Love 3

...and to own & operate any motorized vehicle, one must renew their license, take occasional eye exams, pass various auto regulations, maintain the vehicle AND pay for insurance. Break too many driving laws & you lose your right to drive. There are no such restrictions for owning guns.

I am not against owning a simple firearm for protection, but not outlawing automatic weapons made specifically for war & killing is just bullshit.

I would love to hear some hard statistics on lives saved vs lives lost via guns. If I'm not mistaken, guns have killed approximately 400,000 people since 9/11 in the US. That is a staggering number of victims by any measure, even accounting for suicides. As the memes so eloquently point out, when a Muslim kills, America recoils; when white American boys obliterate whole classrooms, that's just the way things are. I really wish Joy would grill Bernie tomorrow on his NRA connections.

• Love 14
(edited)
If I were in the audience that day, I would have risked being hauled out by yelling: "GIVE ME ONE FUCKING EXAMPLE OF HOW YOU ARE BEING RELIGIOUSLY PERSECUTED!!!!"

I think she said that "Christian values" were under attack, rather than Christians were being persecuted.

Candace is someone who doesn't get that THIS IS NOT A CHRISTIAN NATION, EVEN THOUGH MOST OF THE CITIZENS ARE CHRISTIANS. (Just like it's not an English-only nation, even though most people speak English.) These are not ingrained values spelled out in the Constitution. For people who worship at the Founding Fathers' feet when it comes to the Second Amendment, they sure must think they were just careless because they forgot to explicitly state in the Constitution that this country is made for English-speaking Christians and no one else. (The Founding Fathers sure managed to get in there that it was a country created for white men -- although that got overturned relatively quickly.)

Sheesh. I long for the days when "Godandcountry" wasn't one indivisible concept.

I FF'd through most of the show. Don't care what The View panel thinks about guns or freedom of speech.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 9

I would love to hear some hard statistics on lives saved vs lives lost via guns. If I'm not mistaken, guns have killed approximately 400,000 people since 9/11 in the US. That is a staggering number of victims by any measure, even accounting for suicides. As the memes so eloquently point out, when a Muslim kills, America recoils; when white American boys obliterate whole classrooms, that's just the way things are. I really wish Joy would grill Bernie tomorrow on his NRA connections.

Yeah there was something I saw recently - and verified by snopes.com  (because I was SURE it wasn't true at first)

http://www.snopes.com/toddlers-killed-americans-terrorists/#

in 2015 - more deaths were caused by TODDLERS having access to guns than by terrorists shooting citizens.   TODDLERS - kids under age 4, either shooting themselves or someone else, because there was a gun nearby.

think about how much rhetoric we hear about waging war on Islamic terrorists, when a bigger threat is guns in homes where children have access. 

As to teens shooting others -   it goes - when a Muslim kills someone it's terrorism, when a black kid does it, it's gang violence.  When a white kid kills someone, it's mental illness.

• Love 13

I thought we agreed not to watch today ? (ha-ha)

Me, me, I skipped. And I'm glad from what I'm reading here. I don't hate CCB, but I really don't like shows that are all birthday party or baby shower. 

• Love 4

So according to twitter Sunny and Jedediah will both be there. I am assuming Joy will be moderating, just not sure who if Paula and Candace will be there.

UGH-The return of the Jedi......

• Love 6
(edited)

Here's hoping Whoopi and CCB are taking the day off tomorrow and that Joy's up to challenging Bernie on logical gunsense measures. And c'mon Bernie, both you and HRC are eminently qualified. Let's not wallow with the GOP contenders. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 6

I feel weird in not minding Jed as much as CBB who's always whining about how her people are being persecuted in some way. At least Jed will criticize Republicans which is more then I can say for CBB and Paula. I hate when these hosts like Paula start off and seem like they are full of potential and then seem to drop their guard and show their true colors which make me wonder why I liked her in the first place. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Here's a fairly decent recap:

http://www.gossipcop.com/bernie-sanders-the-view-video-interview-april-2016-watch/

Glosses over the gun conversation a little. Bernie doesn't want to hold gun shop owners liable for acts committed by persons who purchased guns legally, but does favor a ban on assault type weapons. 

ETA: I think Bernie's being slightly deceptive about his gun stance by conflating gun shop owners with gun manufacturers. As I understand it, the cause being pursued by some of the Sandy Hook parents is to hold the manufacturer (specifically Remington who makes and markets the AR-15) liable. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 1

I like so much of what Bernie believes, and I trust that he really means what he says, but I usually can't get past the fact that I don't like his demeanor. So many times, he interrupts, he points, he gets a bit shouty and defensive.  But for the first time, in this interview, I felt like he calmed down the brashness and I felt like he came across very well  It's so nice to have 2 great Democratic candidates to choose between.

• Love 3

This is why I don't really like Joy as the moderator. She does great in that role, but what that means is people like Raven and Paula and Jedidiah end up speaking more than she does, and that'll kill the show. I did like how she began the Bernie interview asking him not to sink to Trump/Cruz's level. When the Democratic race started, I would have voted for whoever became the nominee. Even though that's still the case, Bernie has done quite a bit to turn me off him the past month.

I hate when these hosts like Paula start off and seem like they are full of potential and then seem to drop their guard and show their true colors which make me wonder why I liked her in the first place. 

I think this is inevitable with any Republican co-host, unfortunately. There's going to be a part of every Republican co-host they'd get for this show that is homphobic, racist, sexist, and/or Christian "victim" that will slowly leak out over time. This is why I'm still Team Paula if there's going to be one at the table. She's not as incomprehensible and one-note as Candace, but not as screamy and creepy as Jedidiah.

• Love 6
(edited)

Today I figured out what it is about Raven that turns me off. She is incapable of showing respect for people. Bernie was still talking today and she absolutely interrupted him to ask a question. Not that I mind it if it's a topical question or if the politician is going wildly off-topic, but that wasn't the case here, she just tried to jump in with her next non-sequitur question. Then later, when the pizza came out, she was all, "Wash your hands, PEOPLE!" And she kept repeatedly referring to him and calling him "Bernie" -- which most people do, but it was as if they were peers. Even Joy referred to him as Senator Sanders. Then Raven's lecture to everyone on how Californians eat pizza... ad nauseum.

I am not an old fuddy-duddy (although using the term "fuddy-duddy" may just make me one!), but it was really off-putting for me to see a 30-year-old B-lister (1) lecturing (2) a 74-year-old man (3) who has many accomplishments behind him (4) and could well be the next President of the United States.

I felt the same way when Jan Brewer shook a finger in Obama's face and when that whackjob Congressman yelled "Liar" at him during the State of the Union address. Disagree with someone all you want, but show respect for their position and the process. Raven doesn't. I don't think she's being deliberately crass, but I am starting to think that she doesn't even recognize the concept of showing respect.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 16

The other interruption was when Joy was reading from the teleprompter introducing the segment and she of course had a joke woven in there and Raven stepped on it not once, but twice.  If she did that to Miss Whoopi she would have been given the stink-eye.

• Love 3

This show is getting somewhat boring and predictable. Maybe I'm just having a bad day.

I'm sick of the "revolving" co-hosts, Paula is starting to drive me crazy,and don't get me started on CCB.

• Love 4

Yeah, I can't believe they had a random guest like Jedediah there and not someone officially from the show for a presidential nominee. I mean, at least Sunny Hostin is ABC's legal analyst. They seem to be testing the three conservatives out. We just had one day with Paula/Candace, one day with Candace/Jed, and one day with Jed/Paula. I guess they're trying to see which chemistry works the best.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well CCB looks to Paula for confirmation when she speaks and sometimes it seems as if they speak off camera (about Miss Whoopi I think), but CCB does not seem to have rapport with Jedi.  I enjoy Sunny and think the show works better when she is there.  She's smart and I like her interviewing style.

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 6
(edited)

She's smart and I like her interviewing style.

I was surprised though that she didn't know Gloria Vanderbilt is Anderson's mother (when she & AC first started working together at CNN). I thought everyone knew that.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 6
(edited)

Thanks to everyone that took one for the team and reported/recapped Wednesday's Born Again Barbie Birthday Bash.  That's above and beyond and it's appreciated. 

I tuned in Thursday for three whole minutes before FFing to the Alyssa Milano conversation.  That was an interesting contract between the three  former child-actors.  Alyssa wins, LOL.    When Whoopi started lecturing/giving advice to Raven [and us] about when to have kids I clicked off.  Geezus, is there ANY topic she doesn't feel the need to be an expert on?  

I am not an old fuddy-duddy (although using the term "fuddy-duddy" may just make me one!), but it was really off-putting for me to see a 30-year-old B-lister (1) lecturing (2) a 74-year-old man (3) who has many accomplishments behind him (4) and could well be the next President of the United States.

I felt the same way when Jan Brewer shook a finger in Obama's face and when that whackjob Congressman yelled "Liar" at him during the State of the Union address. Disagree with someone all you want, but show respect for their position and the process. Raven doesn't. I don't think she's being deliberately crass, but I am starting to think that she doesn't even recognize the concept of showing respect.

I agree about Raven - but I don't think it's the same thing.    Jan Brewer was a governor - she should have known better and kept her racist attitude in check.  And double ditto for a Congressman at the SOTU.    

Raven is a dumb talk show host who is "new" to thinking/talking/noticing American politics.   Plus, she watched Joy called Secretary Clinton "Hillary" which kind of amazed me. 

Yeah, I can't believe they had a random guest like Jedediah there and not someone officially from the show for a presidential nominee. I mean, at least Sunny Hostin is ABC's legal analyst. They seem to be testing the three conservatives out. We just had one day with Paula/Candace, one day with Candace/Jed, and one day with Jed/Paula. I guess they're trying to see which chemistry works the best.

I like Sunny on this show alot.   Jed didn't bother me today and admittedly I haven't watched the shows she's on that much (just a coincidence)  but I don't find her as annoying as most Libertarians.  She's smart and media savy and most of all can speak on topics outside of politics too.  Kind of the same reasons  why I think Paula is a pretty good co-host, plus Paula get's extra points for seeing behind the curtain and  not being intimidated by the Great and Powerful Oz Whoopi.

ETA:  I forgot to ask, do California's really refer to California as "Cali:?   I don't think I've ever heard another celebrity do that.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

... ETA:  I forgot to ask, do California's really refer to California as "Cali:?   I don't think I've ever heard another celebrity do that.  

Speaking only for myself (who's not a celebrity, just a Californian for 60 years):   no, we do not.

• Love 7

I didn't like Sunny when she first tried out for the show when she was with Sherri. It seemed as if Sherri had coached her to adopt a spicy Latina from the Bronx persona. She's at her best when she is her former prosecutor, ABC legal analyst self.

I believe the producers have coached Raven to speak up more and now she comments on every topic and I want her to shut up.

• Love 6

I think it would be in the views best interest to make Candace a contributer next year. I think she would prefer that as well as she is very busy and lives in LA. that way it ends well and they still have her on occasionally as she may be ok in small doses.

• Love 2

I wanted to smack Raven when she said how thankful she was for social media. She said it in such a way that really irritated me and all I thought was if it wasn't for social media she may have more of a sense of self and would have to share others opinions more often then her own. I like Facebook don't get me wrong but I'm one of the few that doesn't use internet on my cell phone so not being attached to social media all my waking hours seems normal to me. With Raven I think she'd start going through withdrawals if she went more then a 20 to 30 minutes without it. They even feed her addiction while she's hosting. It seems like social media has warped her brain .

• Love 7

Joy has mentioned several times about being addicted to checking her email and texts.  On CCB's birthday show, I caught joy checking her Apple watch.  I give her a pass on that one though.  But in the past, I have seen her looking down at her lap at her watch.  Joy was also twitching a lot on that birthday show. Sometimes her mouth is twitching and she sees the camera is on her and she stops. Kasich has the same facial tic.

• Love 2

I was really disappointed with Joy and her lack of homework about disqualified-gate, and that she let Bernie repeat the lie that Hillary called him disqualified first.  He's not telling the truth, and it pisses me off.

• Love 6

Raven just cannot comprehend life without being glued to a cell phone 24 x 7.  She could be a lot smarter if she would turn the phone off and realize the world does exist.
She isn’t smart enough to know half of what she reads on social media probably isn't true.

• Love 5