Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 04/04/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Does CCB really support Jodie Sweetin in any way? (except shilling for fuller house) I can see CCB looking down on her for addiction disease. I feel for Jodie. Good for her on her progress. .

The male equivalent of lady is gentleman, so I guess First Gentleman.

Me too. That was my first reaction.

Again, they should never have CCB and Paula on together. What’s the difference?

Not much.

Paula MAY be the lesser of two evils, but it's a close call for me too. :-)

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't know about that one.  At least CCB is what she is, a former child-star airhead with a quite limited world-view because of her religion.  Paula, on the other hand, has been called a 'journalist' by View producers.  She's the stealth Christian.  She lost all credibility with me when she asked Gloria Steinem the definition of feminism.  God bless Gloria, she told her to look it up in the dictionary.  I would not have been so gracious, I would've thrown a dictionary at her.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 13
(edited)

Does CCB really support Jodie Sweetin in any way? (except shilling for fuller house) I can see CCB looking down on her for addiction disease. I feel for Jodie. Good for her on her progress. .

Me too. That was my first reaction.

Not much.

The difference for me, is that I can see Paula trying to talk and understand someone that is different from her.  Paula is capable of being empathetic and sympathetic to others. Whereas, the Christian Barbie would use  the scripture in the Bible that says to not be unequally yoked with nonbelievers...Unless she was proselytizing them, she would use that scripture to justify not talking to those she deemed to be heathens and sinners..In her world, everybody is straight, married with children,white and Christian....

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10

Does CCB really support Jodie Sweetin in any way? (except shilling for fuller house)

Hmmm, good question.

I can't think of any reason why they needed to talk about Jodie Sweetin on DWTS. She didn't leave last night. Will see if she shows up for the CCB birthday tomorrow. Oh wait, I won't be watching.  

CCB just needs to go away. I can't believe they would bring her back next season as we know Sunny will be there.

• Love 4

It's 2016 and I am completely over the topic of how people feel about having a woman president.  We wore out that subject in high school when Geraldine Ferraro ran for VP (a woman!  a heartbeat away from the presidency!), and I can't believe it's even still a topic for discussion.   So I'm gonna go for the low hanging fruit today and discuss the important subject of what they were wearing.

First, Candice's black and white sheath - to die for.  She has a great body and that dress fit it like a glove.  She looked as good today as I have ever seen her look.

I also really liked Paula's orange dress (it's a great color on her) but something is going on underneath that needs ... addressing.  Is she doing the multiple spanx thing or something, because there are too many rolls and bulges.  I'd rather she threw out the spanx and wore a size larger dress or less clingy fabric or something because she doesn't have a bad figure but she managed to make herself look like a busted can of biscuits today. 

What the hell happened to Joy's purple blouse?  The front was so wrinkled I thought it was the "style" or something at first, like it was supposed to be crinkly.   Then I noticed long vertical wrinkles on the sleeves.  It looks like she just pulled it out of her suitcase.  Very sloppy.

Whoopi ... is turning into Andre Leon Talley.  And that is all I am going to say about that. Just google his image if you don't know who I am talking about.

Ok, now to the real reason I decided to post about clothes today ... can someone please tell me where Hilary Clinton gets her clothes, please?  Because I have never seen anyone wear the kinds of things she wears.   Where does she buy this stuff?  Is this it custom made?  I don't mean to sound like I am criticizing how she looks at all.   I like that she has created her own identifiable style, and has eschewed the "gotta wear a suit" thing that some women fall into when they are surrounded by men in business suits in a professional environment.   It takes courage to have your own unique look.  I am just wondering where she gets this stuff because I have never seen anyone else wear the kind of clothes she is wearing these days.

I must say, though, the outfit she had on today was not one of my favorites.  It reminds me of that weird synthetic fleece fabric my mom wore in the 70's that flatters NO one's figure.  And such a blah color to wear on such a big show with a whole hour in front of a national audience.  Today was the day she should have broke out the Tweetie Bird yellow silk pantsuit or something similar, not that mouse brown couch cover. 

• Love 6

Ok, now to the real reason I decided to post about clothes today ... can someone please tell me where Hilary Clinton gets her clothes, please?  Because I have never seen anyone wear the kinds of things she wears.   Where does she buy this stuff?  Is this it custom made?  I don't mean to sound like I am criticizing how she looks at all.   I like that she has created her own identifiable style, and has eschewed the "gotta wear a suit" thing that some women fall into when they are surrounded by men in business suits in a professional environment.   It takes courage to have your own unique look.  I am just wondering where she gets this stuff because I have never seen anyone else wear the kind of clothes she is wearing these days.

I must say, though, the outfit she had on today was not one of my favorites.  It reminds me of that weird synthetic fleece fabric my mom wore in the 70's that flatters NO one's figure.  And such a blah color to wear on such a big show with a whole hour in front of a national audience.  Today was the day she should have broke out the Tweetie Bird yellow silk pantsuit or something similar, not that mouse brown couch cover. 

I suspect that most of Hillary's clothes (or jackets/dusters anyways) are high end designer haute couture, shhh don't talk about it or that will be one more damn thing to criticize her for.  I'll never forget Rachel Maddow literally squeeing over a long Mandarin style multi color duster she wore on one of her first trips abroad as Secretary of State.

Today's outfit is the one I like least in her primary appearance rotation.  It really is blah.  She definitely should have worn the yellow silk jacket, that thing is beautiful - I think the first time she wore it was for foreign policy speech at Stanford after the Brussels terrorist attack.  I also love the red satin/silk jacket with the dramatic collar that she's been wearing lately.

See, I told you I'd end up wanting to punch both CCB and Paula today, they are nothing if not predictable.  Really loved both Whoopi and Joy with Hillary - you can just imagine them hanging out with a bottle of wine gabbing away.  Hillary knocked this one right out of the park.

• Love 9

HRC always looks like crap in her clothes choices, necklines are wrong and not flattering, jackets/tunics trying to hide her weight and with the unflattering round collar necklines she wears what else a round choker?  I am sure there are many brilliant choices and if I were her stylist I would not be advertising it!  She should be FIRED!  LOL

One of the Property Bros is single as mentioned on the show and the other lives in Vegas with an Asian girl who also works on the show, she might have been there making the question unnecessary to the table but not the viewers.  She does not like being on camera he said.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't know about that one.  At least CCB is what she is, a former child-star airhead with a quite limited world-view because of her religion.  Paula, on the other hand, has been called a 'journalist' by View producers.  She's the stealth Christian.  She lost all credibility with me when she asked Gloria Steinem the definition of feminism.  God bless Gloria, she told her to look it up in the dictionary.  I would not have been so gracious, I would've thrown a dictionary at her.

Great point and I agree. CCB may be more chicken in her approach. Paula may be more subtle in a stealthy kind of way. Both are scary for me.

Also, I guess where my point was going.... i see Paula as a bit less of less of a  Bitsy. I see CCB as a Bitsy. ..

The difference for me, is that I can see Paula trying to talk and understand someone that is different from her.  Paula is capable of being empathetic and sympathetic to others. Whereas, the Christian Barbie would use  the scripture in the Bible that says to not be unequally yoked with nonbelievers...Unless she was proselytizing them, she would use that scripture to justify not talking to those she deemed to be heathens and sinners..In her world, everybody is straight, married with children,white and Christian....

Great points/ agreed

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

I think HRC looked fine. Why should she look beautiful or sexy? The men are not held to that standard. Does anyone say that tRump is wearing the wrong color etc? Go Hillary. She looked FINE. imo 

• Love 19

I think HRC looked fine. Why should she look beautiful or sexy? The men are not held to that standard. Does anyone say that tRump is wearing the wrong color etc? 

I don't think a little innocent discussion about the unusual cuts or color of HRC's clothes means anyone is requiring her to look beautiful or sexy.  That is reading a bit much into what has been said, imo.

As far as commenting on the style or colors of a male candidate's attire, what is there to say about a gray or navy business suit?  That is why no one ever brings the subject up.  It's not a double standard, it's that men's clothes are boring.  I am sure if one of them wore something aside from the standard issue Brooks Brothers stuff or something incredibly ill-fitting, it would get mentioned. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't think a little innocent discussion about the unusual cuts or color of HRC's clothes means anyone is requiring her to look beautiful or sexy.  That is reading a bit much into what has been said, imo.

As far as commenting on the style or colors of a male candidate's attire, what is there to say about a gray or navy business suit?  That is why no one ever brings the subject up.  It's not a double standard, it's that men's clothes are boring.  I am sure if one of them wore something aside from the standard issue Brooks Brothers stuff or something incredibly ill-fitting, it would get mentioned.

I think that's the point though. Men aren't required to spice things up in any way, they could wear the same thing every single day and no one would say a thing about it. But Hillary can't do that, can she? She'd be mocked for it. So she's required to vary things up and then in turn gets critiqued and mocked for that. There's no winning there, as far as her look is concerned. That's the double standard.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 15
(edited)

I think Hillary looked lovely today--she looked and sounded Presidential to me.

Exactly. I don't care what outfit she wears if she sounds intelligent and has the leadership skills we need as a President. If she's elected, I dread to see all the criticism she will get on a daily basis because of what outfit she wore or how good her hair looked. That's superficial stuff that no one needs to contend with, but we're still living in a sexist age. I'm sure that Angela Merkel has to put up with this crap too, along with other female heads of state.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 12

I certainly didn't mean to offend.  I really enjoy Hillary's unique stylings, you just never know what she'll show up with!  I didn't mean to sound critical of her - I was just indulging in a little girly talk.  No sexism intended.

• Love 9
(edited)

I think the only reason HRC was asked about what Bill would be called if she's elected (pleaseohpleaseohplease) is that it's a first. And let's face it, The View is fluff. Nothing wrong with that, but they're going to discuss different things than Meet The Press would. I thought it was a well-balanced show. She managed to get in her policy statements AND show a softer side. People who think she's a castrating bitch may have been a little surprised by her going Grandma and talking about her favorite TV shows.

I don't see it as any different from Ted Cruz being silly with Jimmy Fallon (and omg, saying he'd back up over Donald Trump if he saw him in the rear view mirror -- can you IMAGINE if HRC had said that?) or candidate Bill Clinton playing the sax on The Arsenio Hall Show. Different audiences, different focuses.

(Incidentally, my alderman here in Chicago was the first openly gay person elected as alderman, so there was initially a discussion about what to call his then-partner/now-husband. He understandably wasn't fond of being referred to First Lady of the ward, and I think "aldermate" ended up being the accepted term.)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 10

Sorry, I didn't want to label anyone here as sexist. I do think that women are often times other women's worse critics as far as appearances go. I doubt that my husband ever notices what kind of outfit Hillary is wearing!

• Love 6
(edited)

I don't care what outfit she wears if she sounds intelligent and has the leadership skills we need as a President. 

Of course!  I just find Sec. Clinton's clothes interesting and I enjoy talking about fashion.  It doesn't have anything to do with how "presidential" I see her as being.  I make those kinds of determinations based on her position on the issues and her record.  Not her wardrobe.

If someone is going to decide she is either fit or unfit for office based on her clothes, then that silliness is on them.  But I seriously doubt too many people are taking her attire into consideration when deciding whether to vote for her or not, though, in all honesty.  Merely mentioning an interesting clothing choice she made is hardly indicative of such thinking.  It just means some of us like to talk about clothes - a little "girly talk" like NextIteration said.  That's all it is.

If she's elected, I dread to see all the criticism she will get on a daily basis because of what outfit she wore or how good her hair looked.  That's superficial stuff that no one needs to contend with, but we're still living in a sexist age.

Really?  I don't recall her receiving all that much "sexist" (i.e. "Donald Trump-esque") type criticism for her look lately.  I doubt it will get much worse if she is elected and is dealing with crucially important world issues.  I think people would tend to focus more on the job she is doing as president, and even less on her "look" than they do right now.  

I think that's the point though. Men aren't required to spice things up in any way, they could wear the same thing every single day and no one would say a thing about it. But Hillary can't do that, can she? She'd be mocked for it. So she's required to vary things up and then in turn gets critiqued and mocked for that. There's no winning there, as far as her look is concerned. That's the double standard.

At least she doesn't have to go around defending the size of her "hands," lol.  That honor goes solely to the gentlemen candidates.  I guess they all have their crosses to bear ...

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 6
(edited)

Celia Rubenstein said

Really?  I don't recall her receiving all that much "sexist" type criticism for her look lately.  I doubt it will get much worse if she is elected and is dealing with crucially important world issues.  I think people would tend to focus more on the job she is doing as president, and even less on her "look" than they do right now.

Oh Celia,  the hateful right will have a field day making fun of her every wrinkle, her ankles, her outfits, her shoes, her hair, and on and on. They wouldn't stop just because she's president!  If anything, it will intensify. (I really hope I'm wrong about this, though.)

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 9
(edited)

Paula asked Hillary Clinton about an unborn fetus not having constitutional rights.   As though this was an OPINION.   OK -  at birth, a baby becomes a legal person -  their citizenship, their parentage, their legal status, even their status as a tax deduction - begins at birth.   What was the point of Paula's question?   it's not Hillary's opinion that a fetus becomes a legal person at birth -it's just a fact.

And Hillary was right about Romania forcing women to have children.  And then those children were warehoused in horrible conditions, many were adopted by Americans - especially gay couples who couldn't legally adopt in the U.S.  (hi to my nephews!)

I'm so tired of the term "pro-life"  to mean only one thing - being against  abortion. 

CCB -  YOUR values are not under attack if someone ELSE has an abortion.  Nobody is forcing it on you.   That was Hillary's point in bringing up Romania.  When the government dictates who can have children, or how many, or who has an abortion, or restricts access to birth control  - THAT is when values are under attack.   Pro-choice does not attack anyone's values, it supports ALL values. You live by your values, let everyone else live by theirs. 

I would love to present different scenarios to CCB and Paula about their thoughts on abortion.   How about a woman in her 40's who finds herself with a high risk pregnancy, and has cancer, and cannot get cancer treatment because she's pregnant?  How about a 12 year old girl who was raped and pregnant?  What if that 12 year old was also developmentally delayed and has no concept of pregnancy and childbirth?  How about a woman who finds out that the baby she is carrying will have numerous severe physical defects and will be unable to live outside her womb?  If they think any of those scenarios would warrant a conversation about abortion, then what if the right to choose is taken away?  It's the extreme scenarios that need to be considered.  Because if Roe V Wade is overturned, those are conversations we might not even be able to have. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 21
(edited)

... don't get me started on Ted Cruz's "mom jeans" .... 

ETA:  

What I like is, I'm pretty sure she can take anything like that they throw.

Yes, and I think what people have to say about her hair or clothes is somewhere at the bottom of her list of concerns.  

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7

^^^^ What I like is, I'm pretty sure she can take anything like that they throw. 

Oh, definitely. To me, this is one of her most appealing characteristics, especially given what the Republicans have turned into. For people who don't like that she seems too tough or something, I see it as a positive, given what she's going to be dealing with. It could well be worse than what Obama's had to face, and I think she's made of steel and can take it and throw it back.

• Love 9

Unfortunately, Hillary's cross to bear is that she's on the short side & pear-shaped.  My dear departed Sister had that problem & often cursed her lot.  (I "was" tall, slim & could wear "anything", so she really felt the pain when we went shopping.)  She did, however, manage to look smart despite her "limitations", but I could never talk her into a duster jacket.

• Love 7

At the risk of being chastised for being a sexist, double standard bearing hater again, I will say this: I am really looking forward to Hillary Clinton being POTUS if for no other reason than because she will be a helluva lot more interesting to look at than any one of the men running could possible be! 

Bring on the primary-colored pant suits and the jewel-toned silk Nehru jackets!  I love it!  And stick with the red lip you wore today, it was perfect! 

• Love 11

Celia,

I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time  -  When I see your posts, I always imagine you as that grumpy little old lady giving ME the finger. (even though we often agree)

Like you're saying  "Oh yeah, backformore?  this is what I think of your stupid post!" 

And it makes me laugh, every time.

Don't ever stop.

• Love 14
(edited)

I am going to dive into the shallow waters to discuss Hillary's wardrobe choices too.  My friend and colleague who is in Houston was bemoaning the other day that Hill has a bunch of these jackets with the big square pockets in different colours and fabrics, and it makes my gal pal insane!  And she is pro Hillary.  

I remember when I got to a certain point in my career, and I am at in an executive role, I realized, or someone told me, a woman did not have to wear suits or blazers in the corporate world.  Back then if you didn't people thought you were the secretary (yes, dating myself).  I slowly embraced my own sense of style for the business world.  Hillary I think has moved in this direction somewhat as well, but she still does need some help.  She doesn't look overweight to me but she probably does need more help focussing on her strengths.  But as many here have said, I am glad she is using her brain power and time on the big things.  She just needs to hire someone when she gets elected, that will nudge her out of the safe zone a bit.

She was very good today, and I think they did a good job of making her seem relatable.  I bet they get criticized for being soft on her.

ETA:  here's one I found

http://www.westernjournalism.com/watch-hillary-clinton-just-went-on-the-view-and-people-are-freaking-out-about-what-happened/

Edited by bannana
  • Love 7

I am going to dive into the shallow waters to discuss Hillary's wardrobe choices too.  My friend and colleague who is in Houston was bemoaning the other day that Hill has a bunch of these jackets with the big square pockets in different colours and fabrics, and it makes my gal pal insane!  And she is pro Hillary. 

She does, she does!  And this one today sadly is the worst of the lot. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Jeepers Creepers, I was so impressed by Hillary. She reminded me of what my mom told me several years after my dad's death "never say never" She was referring to her caring for my very sick father (Multiple Sclerosis} over a number of years, even tho they had been married abt. 55 yrs. She said I'll never get married again. Whoops, she did....married her high school sweetheart and a similar thing happened again, he had heart disease and a heart transplant and she cared for him a long time before he passed away.

MORAL OF THE STORY>>>>>>>>NEVER say NEVER

I said I would NEVER vote for ANOTHER Clinton or Bush, alas, Jeb's gone (now I'm sorry) and after seeing Hillary on the view I'm slappin my self upside my head, saying gawd, I'm such an ignorant ass!

She looked terrific today and it was good to see a human side to a woman that is known more to be a political figure. I was very impressed. 

Edited by dimo
  • Love 16
(edited)

I don't mind Clinton being asked what her husband should be called if she's elected President, but I hated when she mentioned one of her options: First Dude. After all, that was what Sarah Palin's husband was called when she was Governor. I don't want any cutesy similarities to Palin and Clinton's people should have been on top of that.

Edited by Fatkat
  • Love 8

Re: Candace playing the persecuted evangelical Christian and worried about "religious freedom", she and her brother are free to practice their religion as they choose, but they are not free to impose their particular religious beliefs on others. You're anti-choice, then don't have an abortion, no matter what. You're against gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex. Yes, it's okay for you to pray in school, just don't require everyone else to recite your prayer. And if you're against sharing the restroom with a transgendered person, don't worry, you've already done it and you were fine.

Perfect answers. Thank you, merriebreeze.

Top go back to Jodi Sweetin, I figure that CCB would say that she prays for her.....ALOT.

I was channel surfing last night and saw a bit of Sweetin telling her drug addiction story on DWTS, so I surmised that is what the View women were going to talk about today. Sweetin's been clean for 5 years.

• Love 1

I don't mind Clinton being asked what her husband should be called if she's elected President, but I hated when she mentioned one of her options: First Dude. After all, that was what Sarah Palin's husband was called when she was Governor. I don't want any cutesy similarities to Palin and Clinton's people should have been on top of that.

They sure should have been on top of that

Re: Candace playing the persecuted evangelical Christian and worried about "religious freedom", she and her brother are free to practice their religion as they choose, but they are not free to impose their particular religious beliefs on others. You're anti-choice, then don't have an abortion, no matter what. You're against gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex. Yes, it's okay for you to pray in school, just don't require everyone else to recite your prayer. And if you're against sharing the restroom with a transgendered person, don't worry, you've already done it and you were fine. 

YES PREACH!!

that is all

• Love 4

Oh Celia,  the hateful right will have a field day making fun of her every wrinkle, her ankles, her outfits, her shoes, her hair, and on and on. They wouldn't stop just because she's president!  

There are some people out there who aren't going to be happy with anything Hillary wears unless it is an orange jumpsuit.  Too bad they will never see her in one, neener neener! 

• Love 9

I don't really pay attention to her clothes, but I did like those unusual coats Hillary's been wearing throughout the campaign. Of course, ever since Michelle commented on how her clothes were "very North Korea chic," that's the first thing that enters my mind whenever I see them now. I know, I know...

I'm one of those few who've always liked Hillary (as much as you can like any politican), so I wasn't really swayed either way. I thought she was a little calculated when asked about what shows she watches (trying to appear like an average person). At least she didn't pretend she changes diapers; there's no way the Clintons don't have nannies to do that.

• Love 8

I don't really pay attention to her clothes, but I did like those unusual coats Hillary's been wearing throughout the campaign. Of course, ever since Michelle commented on how her clothes were "very North Korea chic," that's the first thing that enters my mind whenever I see them now. I know, I know...

Oh that is it!  I was thinking what Hillary wore today looked like some kind of West Point uniform for grown women.  But it was Kim Jong-un for ladies!  Michelle is right.  Hillary, burn that commie rag!

Speaking of Kim Jong-un this-that-or-the-other thing .... Whoopi, stop making out like you are joking about his name.  We all know you are just too damn lazy to learn it and pronounce it properly.  You wore that shit out with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.  No one was fooled then, and no one is fooled now.

• Love 3

I wish that whatever HRC wears is a non issue. If she wears the exact same non-descript pantsuit day after day, I'm fine with it.

The male candidates certainly get away with wearing the same thing every day.  It shouldn't matter if Hillary wears the same thing every day, either. It's only a plus to me if she manages to wear something kudo worthy!   To the extent that she ever has a fashion "miss" to me it's still a plus because it means she took a fashion risk, and I am okay with that! 

• Love 3

I'm one of those few who've always liked Hillary (as much as you can like any politican), so I wasn't really swayed either way. I thought she was a little calculated when asked about what shows she watches (trying to appear like an average person). At least she didn't pretend she changes diapers; there's no way the Clintons don't have nannies to do that.

So I thought her answers were perhaps honest but also meant to be clever.  First she said Madame Secretary, well that is obvious, right!  And then the Good Wife...hmmm...with Bill as her Peter Florrick.  NCIS appeals to the military crowd.  Scandal, again, hmmm...And Grey's Anatomy, well that just covers a lot of demos.  I was so hoping she would say House of Cards!

• Love 4

Maybe I am just having PTSD from Bitsy, but I thought CCB acquitted herself well today. If you go on her Facebook, most of her fans think she was sitting next to a literal demon. Maybe it is a low bar, but I thought she did just fine. Joy was downright masterful.

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently, I've watched far too many Clinton soft interviews - the shows she's rattled off, she names time and time again.  They all make sense to me, and yes she binge watches seasons on down time - the one I wanted to hear her say that she didn't was Game of Thrones, ha!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

I think Hillary's love for The Good Wife came to light in the Great Email Witch Hunt of 2015, where she was busted emailing her assistant for the show's schedule. On a private server, no less. Burn her! Burn the Witch of Benghazi!

I love this woman, loved her on The View and cannot wait to call her President Clinton. I don't need The View to be all election coverage all the time, but they do a good service when they invite the candidates on the show and a greater one when they ask the tough questions. More please.

• Love 16
(edited)

Edited by merriebreeze, Yest. 7:14 pm.

THIS^^^^. All day long. 

And the best comeback to the bathroom issue that I've come across:

"And if you're against sharing the restroom with a transgendered person, don't worry, you've already done it and you were fine."

Kudos, merriebreeze.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 6