Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

I don't like Daniel because he is boring but for whatever reason they treat him like a god. I resent that he was Victoria beloved godson that he ended being more favored than Philip and Brady. I hated that there was even a question that his relationship would rival the one between Jack and Jennifer. I really hated that rhey switched the paternity again of Parker off screen just to make Chloe desperate for him as she battled Jennifer for him. Finally, it was annoying how he became attracted and soon involved with his female patients after examining them.

And all that can be blamed at the writers who tore other long-time characters to make him look better.

• Love 4

Yep, that just about covers it. His character really knew no boundaries. He was involved in everyone's business but praised for it and he just seemed to assume a big part of everyone's lives. He became the lead character in the show but for no clear reason. He wasn't a veteran character - he was shoehorned in as being Maggie's son when continuity showed otherwise. Every woman on the show wanted him or got to be with him...including Kristen who hated his guts and had no reason to want to sleep with him whatsoever. And that character often showed an arrogance and condescension but I found really unappealing. It's perfectly fine for a good character to occasionally be condescending, like for example Marlena, but the actor kind of has to own it and the show has to own it too. You can't have everybody talking about the guy like he's a saint when he showed just as much attitude as basically anybody else in town.

As written, Eric is basically a saint. He never seems to get upset with anybody and is constantly giving back to the community. He's self flagellates over every little mistake he makes. It's annoying how perfect it is. But according to the fine citizens of Salem, Dan was the Saint and Dan was perfect and Dan was wonderful...and Eric sucks? If the show basically gives you absolutely zero reasons to hate a character because of how perfect they are and how sweet they are, how are we supposed to feel any one is justified in picking on them?

I think the thing that sealed my hatred of Dan was at the Nicole romance because it really came out of nowhere and didn't feel adequately developed. They were having a big dance scene in the pub for no reason and then they over-dramatized his death and I thought we'd finally be free of him. But as others have pointed out here we are almost two years later still hearing about this schmuck.

From what I remember he was brutal towards Nicole for destroying the evidence that Eric was raped. He tore her a new one for weeks on end about that. Even if he eventually started to like Nicole, how would she ever allow herself to be with a man who slammed the door in her face and shamed her constantly that way?

I think the real problem here is the fact that Nicole and Dan were involved behind the scenes and given that Nicole had been on the show for a long time, the producers probably tried to accommodate their relationship with an on-screen one. The fact that Shawn still makes appearances on the show is ridiculous. Dan was not that relevant. Nicole should have definitely moved on by now.

If the character had been slightly more compelling than I would be perfectly fine with how much attention he's been having. But compared to another character like Will who was very compelling and well-loved and groundbreaking and brutally murdered deliberately on screen and yet who seems to get a mention once every 6 months....Dan gets treated like some kind of God and it's disgusting. Victor is totally okay with Deimos, who helped imprison and torture Bo and caused his death, and he'll even let the guy live in his house...but simply seeing Eric in the Town Square having a talk with Jennifer makes him irate? It's such bull.

• Love 8

Shawn is not a strong actor and this show insisted on having him in every storyline and episode for too long. Over exposure of the character was not a good thing.

• Love 5

So the first rumor was that the "big name star" was going to be either Morgan Fairchild or Donna Mills, and whichever one it was, was going to be Ava's mother and Tripp's grandmother.  Then it became Donna Mills.  Then it became Morgan Fairchild.  And now, she's playing Anjelica Devereaux.  Now, if that's true, can we hope that Alex will be coming?

• Love 1

I really hope Marlena gets her own personal one-on-one scene to discover that Will is still alive. I can only imagine how good Deidre Hall's acting will be if the show actually gives her a moment like that to handle all on her own. Marlena and Will were very close. I actually kind of hope she's the first person to see Will is alive. If everyone in town just sees him walk into a room it will be very anticlimactic.

Angelica would be Jack's mother?

(edited)
19 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I know that I dislike Daniel for many reasons:   the character is over-praised to the point of insanity.  He is an expert in every field of medicine, he has affairs with married women and helps destroy relationships and no one holds him accountable.  He is never wrong even when he behaves horribly and now that he's dead, people are still talking about him and visiting his shrine in Horton's Square.  That's why I don't like Daniel--he's annoying and he ate the show.

Now I'm sure Shawn 's a nice man, but he isn't much of an actor--his line readings are usually the same, he has zero range as an actor so watching this surfer dude try and act is kind of painful.  That's why I'm not looking forward to Shawn's return.

Yes to it all.  Well put, Kitmerlot.  I don't enjoy it when any character ends up in virtually all storylines, kicks a show off balance.  But when said character is also poorly written, AND portrayed by a, at best, mediocre actor, it's even worse.  Abby falls into the same general category and Show shoved Jenn in that direction, too.

I don't want Shawn back because he's playing the same character.  Even if Tan the Dan Man was recast, I'd still shudder at the thought.

Shawn made Daniel his own and that alone is reason enough to dread his return.

Edited by boes
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So the first rumor was that the "big name star" was going to be either Morgan Fairchild or Donna Mills, and whichever one it was, was going to be Ava's mother and Tripp's grandmother.  Then it became Donna Mills.  Then it became Morgan Fairchild.  And now, she's playing Anjelica Devereaux.  Now, if that's true, can we hope that Alex will be coming?

The soap message boards' game of telephone really did a number on this one, but now that it's been reported by SOD, I think it's true.  Jason47 was playing one of his guessing games, and I think when it got down to MF and DM, people assumed it was the latter because she had worked with Ron Carlivati on General Hospital.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Angelica would be Jack's mother?

Adoptive mother, yes.  I'm a little puzzled by the possibilities here.  She could be to play a role in the Lucas/Adrienne/Justin story, but that seems like an overshoot.  I'd be most interested to see her with her grandchildren, but I guess there's always the possibility that Alexander shows up.

45 minutes ago, lska said:

The soap message boards' game of telephone really did a number on this one, but now that it's been reported by SOD, I think it's true.  Jason47 was playing one of his guessing games, and I think when it got down to MF and DM, people assumed it was the latter because she had worked with Ron Carlivati on General Hospital.

Adoptive mother, yes.  I'm a little puzzled by the possibilities here.  She could be to play a role in the Lucas/Adrienne/Justin story, but that seems like an overshoot.  I'd be most interested to see her with her grandchildren, but I guess there's always the possibility that Alexander shows up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Anjelica was Jack's step-mother? Harper's second wife. I think his first wife was the one who adopted Jack with Harper.  Although I could be wrong.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Anjelica was Jack's step-mother? Harper's second wife. I think his first wife was the one who adopted Jack with Harper.  Although I could be wrong.

You are correct. Jack's adoptive mother died and Harper married Anjelica who helped him raise Jack. Harper was sterile and made Anjelica think that Jack was his biological child and paid a doctor to tell Anjelica that she was the sterile one.  Anjelica always longed for a child and she was furious to found out that Harper lied to her for years, robbing her of the chance to have a child.  Alexander was her miracle child via Justin, in the same way that Sonny was to Adrienne. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Yes, you're right.  That always slips my mind because they had such a mother/son relationship -- although just a little twisted.

• Love 1

I'd say no just because the current Belle has been with the show far longer and seems to get along really well with the rest of the cast. She recently appeared on some talk show with Marlena and Kate even though she isn't taping on Days as far as I know. I think that ship has sailed and frankly I'm amazed that it doesn't bother me because Kristen Storms really was Belle to me whenever I would check in with the show years ago. I just think the actress doesn't really look that much like Marlena anymore and has a too youthful vibe. The current Belle looks like Marlena and seems old enough to be a mother to Claire. I think with much better writing she could be very interesting player on the canvas.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think they'd take Kirsten in a hot millisecond. Martha Madison is a reliable recast but has never been terribly interesting or popular. KS remains popular despite years of bad story on GH. They'd handwave Claire or write her out - there are other ridiculous age gaps or lack thereof on this show. Or they'd play up that Belle had Claire super-young.

Same thing with Brandon Beemer/Jason Cook as Shawn - Beemer was a reliable recast but never very exciting and not a great talent. They only took him on because Cook refused to commit to Corday's terms and stick around after appearing during the anniversary. Cook and Storms were the popular Shawn and Belle.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, ulkis said:

Out of curiosity, do people here think DAYS would take Kirsten Storms back as Belle if she were to become available?

God, I hope not, if for no other reason than that voice.  It's bad enough to have Claire whining all the time but KS can't sneeze without it sounding like a cry for help.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ulkis said:

Out of curiosity, do people here think DAYS would take Kirsten Storms back as Belle if she were to become available?

I doubt it. RC may welcome her, but network may not with her work track record lately. She isn't someone that could rely on for the storyline of the character.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, boes said:

God, I hope not, if for no other reason than that voice.  It's bad enough to have Claire whining all the time but KS can't sneeze without it sounding like a cry for help.

ICAM. I'd rather chew glass than to see KS return. Talk about annoying!

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Yep, that just about covers it. His character really knew no boundaries. He was involved in everyone's business but praised for it and he just seemed to assume a big part of everyone's lives. He became the lead character in the show but for no clear reason. He wasn't a veteran character - he was shoehorned in as being Maggie's son when continuity showed otherwise. Every woman on the show wanted him or got to be with him...including Kristen who hated his guts and had no reason to want to sleep with him whatsoever. And that character often showed an arrogance and condescension but I found really unappealing. It's perfectly fine for a good character to occasionally be condescending, like for example Marlena, but the actor kind of has to own it and the show has to own it too. You can't have everybody talking about the guy like he's a saint when he showed just as much attitude as basically anybody else in town.

As written, Eric is basically a saint. He never seems to get upset with anybody and is constantly giving back to the community. He's self flagellates over every little mistake he makes. It's annoying how perfect it is. But according to the fine citizens of Salem, Dan was the Saint and Dan was perfect and Dan was wonderful...and Eric sucks? If the show basically gives you absolutely zero reasons to hate a character because of how perfect they are and how sweet they are, how are we supposed to feel any one is justified in picking on them?

I think the thing that sealed my hatred of Dan was at the Nicole romance because it really came out of nowhere and didn't feel adequately developed. They were having a big dance scene in the pub for no reason and then they over-dramatized his death and I thought we'd finally be free of him. But as others have pointed out here we are almost two years later still hearing about this schmuck.

From what I remember he was brutal towards Nicole for destroying the evidence that Eric was raped. He tore her a new one for weeks on end about that. Even if he eventually started to like Nicole, how would she ever allow herself to be with a man who slammed the door in her face and shamed her constantly that way?

I think the real problem here is the fact that Nicole and Dan were involved behind the scenes and given that Nicole had been on the show for a long time, the producers probably tried to accommodate their relationship with an on-screen one. The fact that Shawn still makes appearances on the show is ridiculous. Dan was not that relevant. Nicole should have definitely moved on by now.

If the character had been slightly more compelling than I would be perfectly fine with how much attention he's been having. But compared to another character like Will who was very compelling and well-loved and groundbreaking and brutally murdered deliberately on screen and yet who seems to get a mention once every 6 months....Dan gets treated like some kind of God and it's disgusting. Victor is totally okay with Deimos, who helped imprison and torture Bo and caused his death, and he'll even let the guy live in his house...but simply seeing Eric in the Town Square having a talk with Jennifer makes him irate? It's such bull.

You have perfectly summed up my thoughts about Daniel with this.

• Love 1
On 2016-07-19 at 8:05 PM, Kitty Redstone said:

Hope and Rafe have the opposite of chemistry. 

Maybe it was typo, and they meant to acknowledge Rafe and Hope's fizzling chemistry? Yeah ... I got nothin'.

10 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Does anyone know how long Chandler is there? Is it super short term? A year? Contract? Recurring?

They're being very coy about it.

I saw something that said that somebody else is coming back besides Will, and the speculation is running wild that it will be EJ.  There is a a leaked audition of somebody with a thick Southern accent talking about how no, he had not hired some shady doctor to bring Stefano DiMera back from the dead, no, he had hired her to bring him back from the dead.  Him, Elvis Presley.  Y'know, as in Elvis DiMera, maybe?  But with a thick Southern accent?

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2017/days-of-our-lives-spoilers-leaked-tim-abell-audition-tape-hints-at-ej-dimeras-return-from-the-dead-not-stefanos/

14 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

They're being very coy about it.

Very. And Camilla fueled the fire with her comments. I will hate a ghost storyline; especially if it's to prop up the very boring PaulSon. Although, isn't Freddie's contract up in December. Maybe WilSon goes off into the sunset? I'd be okay with that b/c it leaves room for recasting or returns.

(edited)

They've been known to use old scripts to cast new characters. I'm hoping that's what they've done here.

It would be a big mistake for them to try and recast EJ. I really think James coming back for a short stint and getting killed off more appropriately (as in not by some random character) would be more fulfilling in the long run. Plus his biggest relationships in the show were with Sami, Will, Stefano, Kristen and Nicole, none of whom are on the canvas anymore or will be by the time he hypothetically gets back.

Honestly I just find EJ tired. His character was basically circling the drain those last 6 months. Was he a good guy or a bad guy? The show never really figured it out but at least I think in the end everyone was able to pick the side they thought made the most sense. Those who believed he was Sami's perfect soulmate got to have their cake and eat it too when they made up. Those of us who felt he was slime got to see him engage in nasty criminal activity and get shot for it after cheating with Abigail and having his ass handed to him by Kate and Sami. Everybody won! We even got to finally see him with his mother, the delightful Susan Banks Crumb. What more is there to say?

If they do want to bring him back I hope they wait for Eileen Davidson to be available for that storyline. I kind of hope the show moves away from the way they've used the Dimera's these last two decades. It really is time for the show to shift and grow a little bit. Once we start exploring Chad as a possible bad guy there will be nowhere left to go. Andre is serving no purpose and is a completely useless character at the moment. Unless Peter were to return or Celeste I just don't see the point in trying to keep up this illusion that the Dimera's are the worst people in town anymore or the most powerful.

Brianna doesn't exactly look like Hope but there is a vague sort of similarity about her. Mostly I just hope they go back to the sweet but spoiled princess take on the character that I found so delightful right up until the 50th. I would really appreciate a capable actress over one who just looks the part.

As for Sonny, I hope he and Will have an amicable parting of the ways and that he goes off to cleanse himself of the messy three-way relationship he found himself in the middle of these last few years.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

Anyone know if the girl who portrays Jade is leaving? I cannot stand to watch her "acting" anymore. I am not sure why they fired the original actress, but this one is GODAWFUL. Possibly the worst on the show, and that's saying a lot.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As for Sonny, I hope he and Will have an amicable parting of the ways and that he goes off to cleanse himself of the messy three-way relationship he found himself in the middle of these last few years.

I want that...but for Will. LOL. I want him to come back and be independent...leave with himself in a better place. Not be stuck on Sonny. PaulSon can live happily ever after in Boredom Land. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Haven't heard anything about either of them leaving.

James Lacovik (?) (Joey) is definitely on his way out.  It was publicized when his own mother threw shade at Days for dumping her son.  I'm not a spoiler person at all or even pay much attention to casting but no idea if they will recast Joey.  I personally haven't heard anything about Jade leaving, character or actress, but possibly.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Kassie DePaiva will be back starting October 30.

YES!!  Carlivati will do right by her.  As long as she's around, I'm around.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, boes said:

YES!!  Carlivati will do right by her.  As long as she's around, I'm around.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Don't know.

I personally don't see why she's coming back.  With Eduardo in prison and Paige dead, I don't see where Eve would fit on the canvas.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Nalan said:

I personally don't see why she's coming back.  With Eduardo in prison and Paige dead, I don't see where Eve would fit on the canvas.

Justin needs a woman.

We should just be grateful they didn't dragoon her for GH.

• Love 1

A Theresa Returns storyline? Please?

Let's not forget she was starting to mentor Claire and also had a real attraction going with Justin. I'd like to see both of those storylines continue.

• Love 2
Just now, Silver Raven said:

Justin needs a woman.

Just now, DisneyBoy said:

A Theresa Returns storyline? Please?

Let's not forget she was starting to mentor Claire and also had a real attraction going with Justin. I'd like to see both of those storylines continue.

Eh, maybe.  I did think about Justin.  But then, with Anjelica coming back, too, it's probably something being used to nudge him back toward Adrienne instead.

9 hours ago, Nalan said:

Yeah, I agree.  Plus some actors just don't have a DAYS vibe, and that's KdP for me.  But I'm very very glad to hear that she is well enough to work.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lska said:

Yeah, I agree.  Plus some actors just don't have a DAYS vibe, and that's KdP for me.  But I'm very very glad to hear that she is well enough to work.

KDP is Blair to me. I never warmed to her version of Eve.  She is not Eve to me.  The show never explored her connection to the Brady family and they created a faux rivalry with Jennifer.  Eve and Jennifer were never friends, but, they were never enemies either. The show had her hating Jack for no reason. She and Jack were once friends and partners.  I did not care for the nasty things that she said about Jack. 

• Love 3