Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So the secret special guest star who's coming to town is expected to be Donna Mills, who will be Ava's mother come to town to meet her grandson and get revenge on her daughter's murderer.

Reallllly?  Ugh.

I don't think it would be a bad thing, though, if RC brought his short term characters and arcs to DAYS.  I enjoyed that part of his time on GH.

23 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Twisty! In terms of canon though, I think Sonny is the first out guy in the family. Guess a brother could be bi though....

In all the fan fic I read (A lot of Alex/Will), he's angsty and a dick...and doesn't care who he's with, male or female. He doesn't have a good relationship with either parent and just isn't open about his personal life to them. He doesn't hide it but he's not advertising it. He's bi. He falls in love with Will. There is one that is REALLY good where WAlex meet and date for months before they even know who each other is. It's awesome b/c it shows how shitty everyone was to Will and how they were fine with Paul, etc... Good stuff. PM me if you're interested.

(edited)

I know I'm sounding like a retread here, but when does David Irizzary leave? I hate Deimos and want him to die in a fire, and not because he's a villain, but because of how that villain is written.

Edited by General Days

Do you mean you want Deimos to die in a fire, right? Vincent is actually quite good. The scene where he has to lie about knowing anything about Xander proved it. You could tell he was using vocal inflections and a tone Deimos had never used before even though he was trying to sound convincing. Vincent can act, he's just been given nothing good to act.

I'm also hoping he's gone in the next two weeks as a cap to this whole trip to Greece business. I'm suspecting he only gets to make an exit in June though...

If he gets murdered I really hope that it's Victor to do it. I keep hearing about what a terrible person Victor is but I've never actually seen him do anything evil and sully his own hands. Why not do something now? I don't think John Aniston is going to be on the show for too too much longer, so it's not like it's going to derail his arc as a person. It would be nice to see him finally kill the guy who basically killed his son, crippled his wife, screwed up Hope, hurt Sonny and took over the Mansion.

They linked Deimos to Victor at the beginning of his run and made Victor his raison d'être. Victor should off him. If he doesn't I'm never going to forgive him for looking the other way for no apparent reason these last few months as Deimos continued his reign of terror.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Do you mean you want Deimos to die in a fire, right? Vincent is actually quite good. The scene where he has to lie about knowing anything about Xander proved it. You could tell he was using vocal inflections and a tone Deimos had never used before even though he was trying to sound convincing. Vincent can act, he's just been given nothing good to act.

I'm also hoping he's gone in the next two weeks as a cap to this whole trip to Greece business. I'm suspecting he only gets to make an exit in June though...

If he gets murdered I really hope that it's Victor to do it. I keep hearing about what a terrible person Victor is but I've never actually seen him do anything evil and sully his own hands. Why not do something now? I don't think John Aniston is going to be on the show for too too much longer, so it's not like it's going to derail his arc as a person. It would be nice to see him finally kill the guy who basically killed his son, crippled his wife, screwed up Hope, hurt Sonny and took over the Mansion.

They linked Deimos to Victor at the beginning of his run and made Victor his raison d'être. Victor should off him. If he doesn't I'm never going to forgive him for looking the other way for no apparent reason these last few months as Deimos continued his reign of terror.

Yes, I totally meant Deimos. That was sloppy wording on my part. Thank you for pointing it out. I have edited, because what I originally wrote was (inadvertently) terrible.

I've never watched Irizarry in anything else, but I largely agree the problem is the writing. The same was true for the old elephant in the room that was Melissa Archer's Serena Mason character, and for that matter, it was also the problem with Chrishell Stause's Jordan Ridgeway.

That said, I do think Irizarry's delivery is a little too big. It feels more like a stage performance than a tv performance.

I'm right with you on hoping Victor gets to kill him. Originally, Victor was Stefano before Stefano was Stefano. He was DOOL's big bad. John Black's mission (maybe when he thought he was Roman) was to take him out and they could never really thwart him. Then John fell in love with Isabella and Isabella turned out to be Victor's daughter. Her death softened him, and softened relations between Victor and John.

I think Aniston must be ready to leave. Lately, all of his scenes involve him sitting in a chair. I'm wondering if he's not well, or if he's just damned tired. When Caroline was having all her Deimos related visions, when Irizarry first arrived on scene, I figured it was the beginning of Victor's exit story, but then they sort of rehabbed Deimos for a while and mended his relationship with Victor.

When you said Deimos basically killed Victor's son, do you mean Bo? I took about six months of from the show beginning with last summer. Did it ever come out (to the characters) that Deimos was behind Bo's kidnapping? 

That's a really tough question for me to answer and I was actually paying attention and watching during all of that!

We know that Hope knows Deimos was behind Bo's kidnapping because Deimos showed up in prison to pay off an inmate to protect her and basically stated that it was to make up for past sins. Hope gave him the cold shoulder but has never expressed any outright anger towards him...which is unbelievable. Clearly just a case of the producers and writers trying to make Deimos viable where in reality Hope would have wanted to tear his head off the minute he came into town and she realized what he had been responsible for.

So Victor and Hope know... I don't think Ciara or Shawn know. Or even John and Marlena. Is it possible the only ones who know are Victor and Hope?

Wait, I think Philip also knew because Philip was in cahoots with Deimos when he first appeared because he wanted Philip to develop the drug that Bo helped find that cured Caroline's Alzheimer's and gave her visions of the future. (That is the stupidest sentence I've ever written).

So that's at least three people. Honestly the show wasn't too concerned with holding Deimos accountable for Bo's death because it would basically write him into a corner right off the bat. They only made him responsible well after Bo was off the show to make him seem big and scary....

I maintain that if they had introduced Vincent as a big bad villain who was a competitor of Victor's rather than family he could have stood a chance of being an interesting character. The fact that Clyde was kind of independent from everybody else in the Salem gave him a certain viability as a villain for the few years that he was on. Shoehorning Deimos into the Kiriakas family and giving him this elaborate backstory with Nicole being the reincarnation of his dead lover blah blah blah was just too much. Heck I still don't even buy Xander as a Kiriakis. He's clearly Australian! He doesn't even look Greek!

... so if Victor was John's enemy until John fell in love with his daughter Isabella...did they just recycle that whole story by making John fall in love with Stefano's daughter Kristen?

My understanding was that Deimos was only responsible for the kidnapping, and that the doctor who Hope kidnapped went above and beyond and was the one who tortured Bo while kidnapped.  For some reason Victor didn't hold Deimos responsible for the Doctor's actions. Completely ridiculous but there you go.

1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

That's a really tough question for me to answer and I was actually paying attention and watching during all of that!

We know that Hope knows Deimos was behind Bo's kidnapping because Deimos showed up in prison to pay off an inmate to protect her and basically stated that it was to make up for past sins. Hope gave him the cold shoulder but has never expressed any outright anger towards him...which is unbelievable. Clearly just a case of the producers and writers trying to make Deimos viable where in reality Hope would have wanted to tear his head off the minute he came into town and she realized what he had been responsible for.

So Victor and Hope know... I don't think Ciara or Shawn know. Or even John and Marlena. Is it possible the only ones who know are Victor and Hope?

Wait, I think Philip also knew because Philip was in cahoots with Deimos when he first appeared because he wanted Philip to develop the drug that Bo helped find that cured Caroline's Alzheimer's and gave her visions of the future. (That is the stupidest sentence I've ever written).

So that's at least three people. Honestly the show wasn't too concerned with holding Deimos accountable for Bo's death because it would basically write him into a corner right off the bat. They only made him responsible well after Bo was off the show to make him seem big and scary....

I maintain that if they had introduced Vincent as a big bad villain who was a competitor of Victor's rather than family he could have stood a chance of being an interesting character. The fact that Clyde was kind of independent from everybody else in the Salem gave him a certain viability as a villain for the few years that he was on. Shoehorning Deimos into the Kiriakas family and giving him this elaborate backstory with Nicole being the reincarnation of his dead lover blah blah blah was just too much. Heck I still don't even buy Xander as a Kiriakis. He's clearly Australian! He doesn't even look Greek!

... so if Victor was John's enemy until John fell in love with his daughter Isabella...did they just recycle that whole story by making John fall in love with Stefano's daughter Kristen?

Interesting question.  I wasn't really around during the John and Isabella get together storyline but one big difference is that Isabella wasn't raised by Victor and found out about Victor as an adult, while Kristen grew up as Stefano's daughter so the push and pull of John's version of Stefano versus the man Kristen grew up with was a huge factor.  Also not that Isabella was bad or a grey character but Kristen at that point was such a "good character", everyone loved her, she was a protégé of Alice Horton's so the stark contrast between her and Stefano was so much bigger.

I would say the John/Isabella/Victor storyline is probably more similar to Abe/Lexi/Stefano.

(edited)
6 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Interesting question.  I wasn't really around during the John and Isabella get together storyline but one big difference is that Isabella wasn't raised by Victor and found out about Victor as an adult, while Kristen grew up as Stefano's daughter so the push and pull of John's version of Stefano versus the man Kristen grew up with was a huge factor.  Also not that Isabella was bad or a grey character but Kristen at that point was such a "good character", everyone loved her, she was a protégé of Alice Horton's so the stark contrast between her and Stefano was so much bigger.

I would say the John/Isabella/Victor storyline is probably more similar to Abe/Lexi/Stefano.

I think that the Rojohn/Isabella and her true paternity was written much better and nuanced than the Abe/Lexi/Stefano. Abe has never had a point of view when it came to storylines involving Lexie, he just reacted to whatever was going on with her. Whether it was her infidelities or her turning evil to keep Bo and Hope from their son Zack.  Rojohn had a horrific history with Victor. Whereas,  Abe was never a direct victim of Stefano. Rojohn as an amnesiac calling himself John Black was used by Victor as a pawn. Victor knew that John Black was really Roman and never said a word. In fact, he tried to kidnap him and he sent goons after him and Marlena, putting their lives in danger. Victor was the impetus for the Stockholm storyline that culminated in Marlena's "death" at the hands of Orpheus.

Rojohn witnessed the various crimes that Victor perpetuated against the Brady family for years. Kidnapping Kayla and setting her  up for Marina's murder to protect Isabella, who had done the deed. Insuring that Kayla would be separated  from her baby Stefanie that led to her getting kidnapped. Victor tred to kill his good friend and brother-in-law Shane multiple times, terrorizing  his sister Kim and outing her past as a prostitute, getting custody of her son Andrew.  Victor's repeated harassment of Kim and Shane led to Andrew's kidnapping.  Victor Messed with Shawn and Caroline's marriage and  he threw Bo into a  world of confusion, by demanding that Bo becoming a Kiriakis creating problems for Bo and Hope and an identity crisis for Bo.  Victor also terrorized Rojohn's girlfriend Diana.  Victor was obsessed with her, like he was with his sister Kim.  When Isabella's paternity came out, John and Isabella were horrified by it. In fact, it became an obstacle for them to overcome.  Rojohn had a lot of reservations about being with Isabella. He hated Victor with good reason.  We never got any of that type of story with the Abe/Lexi/Stefano storyline.  By that time, the stories on the show were more plot-driven than character-driven..

Edited by Apprentice79
20 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think that the Rojohn/Isabella and her true paternity was written much better and nuanced than the Abe/Lexi/Stefano. Abe has never had a point of view when it came to storylines involving Lexie, he just reacted to whatever was going on with her. Whether it was her infidelities or her turning evil to keep Bo and Hope from their son Zack.  Rojohn had a horrific history with Victor. Whereas,  Abe was never a direct victim of Stefano. Rojohn as an amnesiac calling himself John Black was used by Victor as a pawn. Victor knew that John Black was really Roman and never said a word. In fact, he tried to kidnap him and he sent goons after him and Marlena, putting their lives in danger. Victor was the impetus for the Stockholm storyline that culminated in Marlena's "death" at the hands of Orpheus.

Rojohn witnessed the various crimes that Victor perpetuated against the Brady family for years. Kidnapping Kayla and setting her  up for Marina's murder to protect Isabella, who had done the deed. Insuring that Kayla would be separated  from her baby Stefanie that led to her getting kidnapped. Victor tred to kill his good friend and brother-in-law Shane multiple times, terrorizing  his sister Kim and outing her past as a prostitute, getting custody of her son Andrew.  Victor's repeated harassment of Kim and Shane led to Andrew's kidnapping.  Victor Messed with Shawn and Caroline's marriage and  he threw Bo into a  world of confusion, by demanding that Bo becoming a Kiriakis creating problems for Bo and Hope and an identity crisis for Bo.  Victor also terrorized Rojohn's girlfriend Diana.  Victor was obsessed with her, like he was with his sister Kim.  When Isabella's paternity came out, John and Isabella were horrified by it. In fact, it became an obstacle for them to overcome.  Rojohn had a lot of reservations about being with Isabella. He hated Victor with good reason.  We never got any of that type of story with the Abe/Lexi/Stefano storyline.  By that time, the stories on the show were more plot-driven than character-driven..

Oh I completely agree, I meant "more similar" in that Lexi and Isabella were adults who were raised by other parents before Stefano and Victor came into their lives. Versus someone like Kristen who was raised by Stefano and had this contrasting idea of him from her own history that was so opposite of how the people in Salem saw him.

• Love 1
(edited)

I figured that was on Ron's to-do list.  I hope Will a) is found in some kind of brainwashing machine and/or b) stumbles in right as Sonny and Paul are doing it or getting married or something.

Edited by TeeVee329
(edited)

I'm so glad Will Horton played Chandler Massey will be returning as Will.  Sonny and Paul have been so painfully boring and hard to watch. 

This only confirms to me yet again Alison Sweeney has a strangle hold (no pun intended) on Days.  After she did interviews with SOD 2015/2016 expressing her displeasure of Griffith and Higley killing off Will and her more recent SOD interview that she wouldn't return til they had a more formidable head writer that she could vibe with and compare notes and here's Ron! 

Also I'm sure with the decline in ratings, especially in 18-34 demos, this was dangerous times for them.  Plus I believe Days is tired of hardcore Will fans saying they killed him off because it had an anti gay stance.  Which is ridiculous because considering since the amount of women characters killed in the necktie storyline.  But it was stupid to kill him off since he was one of the first legacy characters from Days (Brady/Horton ties) when they simply could've  recasted if the previous actor sucked. I thought Guy was ok but he never lived up to being Will IMO. 

Nevertheless Days after watching this shit for yrs and hearing all the btn shit for years you kind of know how this show works every once in a while.  So no surprise Chandler is back. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

I figured that was on Ron's to-do list.  I hope Will a) is found in some kind of brainwashing machine and/or b) stumbles in right as Sonny and Paul are doing it or getting married or something.

Maybe Will be stocked away in Aremid like I said over a year ago.  ? 

But I wouldn't be surprised if that too is the direction though I heard the wedding shit might be for J/M again. 

• Love 2

I was ready to start watching again when Alison Sweeney returned, now with Will coming back, I'm excited to see what happens.  

September can't come fast enough.

• Love 2
(edited)

So how will (heh) they explain Fake Will who ended up in a giant Crown Royal bag? Is Hope going to show up in a 30 second scene saying she got a call that it didn't happen?

Edited by rustyspigot
(edited)
3 hours ago, swtrgrl said:

Guy Wilson's press release is a thing of beauty. I love him as a person and it was straight up class.

I started watching Days again in July 2014 just around the time Will wrote the article about his mother, went to LA, then cheated on Sonny, so I hated the character of Will as portrayed by Guy Wilson.  However, I agree, Guy Wilson the person, seems to be very classy. Here's what he posted, for anyone who missed it:

C_UonnCUIAQqs7A.jpg

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I started watching Days again in July 2014 just around the time Will wrote the article about his mother, went to LA, then cheated on Sonny, so I hated the character of Will as portrayed by Guy Wilson.  However, I agree, Guy Wilson the person, seems to be very classy. Here's what he posted, for anyone who missed it:

C_UonnCUIAQqs7A.jpg

Where did Guy post that? (I agree, it's a very classy statement and reads as quite sincere.)

• Love 2
(edited)

I wish there could have been a few moments in his run where he was likable and felt actually like the Real Will. I don't remember any. It's a shame. He looks so much like Alison Sweeney. He really was in an impossible situation...

...what was Will doing immediately after marrying Sonny? I don't remember his SL...

Edited by DisneyBoy
(edited)

The thing is Will work into Sami's short run and since Sami isn't a regular cast member. Whenever Sami/AS ever wants to come through to Salem for occasional visits, Will will be there now.  Without him there she had no reason to come back.  

Now all I hope is Ron doesn't screw it up.  We have seen return characters come back in the past for this show, no matter the writer, and it never quite works out (except when Hope returned back in 1994 and Nicole's return in the mid 2000s) but I think that was the last time it ever worked.  So yes great CM is coming back but the story they give Will has to be on point so it won't be just a ratings ploy for a few months. 

Yes Guy Wilson is a clas act with his statement.  Nice to see no hard feelings and he understands. 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2

Just read the good news about Chandler Massey on Daytime Confidential!  So happy that he and Will are coming back to Days, along with an extended stay by Alison Sweeney.  I'll be tuning back in sometime in the next month or so ... and crossing my fingers that the changes will keep Days on the air for many years to come.

• Love 1

I would enjoy having Bo back...but the narrative contortions required would ruin it. As it was, I hated the 50th because of what his return did to Aiden. Imagine the mess him coming back would create now...

• Love 1

Besides, the reason they killed off Bo is that Reckell doesn't want to come back full time and wanted the character to have some closure with Hope and his family, so it would no longer be a "Bo disappeared on us" storyline. 

• Love 2

...which they could have altogether avoided by not aging Ciara up almost ten years overnight. Before NuCiara showed up, we believed Bo was only missing two years or less.

Still bitter. About so much.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, BlackMamba said:

Man kill me

I suppose it will be a dream sequence where Nicole imagines getting to kiss his ass one more time, with the rest of Salem lineing up behind her to do the same.

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

Shawn Christian returns to #DAYS again for another appearance.

A while back I asked why the majority of folks on this forum hate "Dr. Tan" (as you call him). Many replied that Dan was overexposed (silly reason to hate a character IMO); however, most of you stated that it wasn't the actor (Shawn) you disliked, but more about the way the character was written. I guess I'm confused when I see negative comments re: SHAWN's return. I just don't understand all the hate when it's not SHAWN's fault how "Dr. Tan" is written.

Am I only one who likes Shawn, Dan, Dr. Tan??

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

A while back I asked why the majority of folks on this forum hate "Dr. Tan" (as you call him). Many replied that Dan was overexposed (silly reason to hate a character IMO); however, most of you stated that it wasn't the actor (Shawn) you disliked, but more about the way the character was written. I guess I'm confused when I see negative comments re: SHAWN's return. I just don't understand all the hate when it's not SHAWN's fault how "Dr. Tan" is written.

I know that I dislike Daniel for many reasons:   the character is over-praised to the point of insanity.  He is an expert in every field of medicine, he has affairs with married women and helps destroy relationships and no one holds him accountable.  He is never wrong even when he behaves horribly and now that he's dead, people are still talking about him and visiting his shrine in Horton's Square.  That's why I don't like Daniel--he's annoying and he ate the show.

Now I'm sure Shawn 's a nice man, but he isn't much of an actor--his line readings are usually the same, he has zero range as an actor so watching this surfer dude try and act is kind of painful.  That's why I'm not looking forward to Shawn's return.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I don't know much about Shawn, the actor, so I don't hate him.   But Daniel, I hate.  

My first memory of Daniel is at the Horton cabin with Jennifer and him worrying about operating on her due to shakiness in his hand.  I thought the character seemed ok and that he cared about Jennifer. 

The next time I'd see Daniel would be in July 2014 when I started watching regularly again and Daniel was sticking his nose into everything!  He was giving advice to JJ.  And Paige. He was involved in the horrible elephant storyline.  Jennifer broke up with him.  And he got paired with Nicole.  And, more than once, he slammed the door in her face. And my hatred peaked.  

Then the writers changed, Daniel was back-burnered and a great love story happened off screen. Then Nicole's love of her life was tragically killed by Eric, a character I thought she had enormous chemistry with.  And even though it's been almost 18 months since he died, it seems every week someone mentions how great Daniel was.  I'm sick of hearing about him and I do not want to see him again. 

• Love 4