Type keyword(s) to search

Batman Movies

Athena
  • Start Topic

So the rumor is that The Batman will be adapting The Long Halloween (paging @GHScorpiosRule). I'm looking forward to it but it also reminds me of many other Batman stories that I love and want to see adapted. I'm still waiting for WB to adapt my favorite Bats vs Joker story: The Man Who Laughs. I love it so much and it's woefully underappreciated thanks to The Killing Joke (whose quality doesn't live up to its hype in my opinion). I'm also completely in love with Tom King's Batman run for Rebirth and would love to see all of his stories adapted as well. Or at least The War Of Jokes And Riddles since that story can work as a stand alone if they don't want to tie in the rest of the run. I don't need to see any of this in live action (though I certainly wouldn't say no!) as WB's DC animation has been outstanding for almost thirty years and can easily live up to the task of making magnificent adaptations of the stories I love.

• Love 1

I liked The Long Halloween but I think it's a poor choice by Matt Reeves to base the new film on.  The last thing audiences need to see any more of is Harvey Dent/Two-Face or the Falcone/Maroni mobs, especially after the Nolan films.  If Reeves truly wanted to focus on Batman's detective abilities as he claimed, he could have dug a lot deeper instead of lazily pulling out the Long Halloween.  Talk about uninspired!

11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Or at least The War Of Jokes And Riddles since that story can work as a stand alone if they don't want to tie in the rest of the run.

Kite Man?

Hell, yeah!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

So the rumor is that The Batman will be adapting The Long Halloween (paging @GHScorpiosRule). I'm looking forward to it but it also reminds me of many other Batman stories that I love and want to see adapted. I'm still waiting for WB to adapt my favorite Bats vs Joker story: The Man Who Laughs. I love it so much and it's woefully underappreciated thanks to The Killing Joke (whose quality doesn't live up to its hype in my opinion). I'm also completely in love with Tom King's Batman run for Rebirth and would love to see all of his stories adapted as well. Or at least The War Of Jokes And Riddles since that story can work as a stand alone if they don't want to tie in the rest of the run. I don't need to see any of this in live action (though I certainly wouldn't say no!) as WB's DC animation has been outstanding for almost thirty years and can easily live up to the task of making magnificent adaptations of the stories I love.

Wait, what? Oh maaaaaaaaan. I LOVED that story. And Nolan when he did Batman Begins, said he mined the source material from The Long Halloween toward the end. But I'm not keen on who's been cast to play Bats...but damn.

And you're right @scarynikki12WB RULES when it comes to their animation division. But I'm still peeved at them because their go to Bats these days is Jason who wishes he was as good as Kevin Fucking! Conroy O'Mara.  I'm soooo conflicted.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
On 10/7/2019 at 3:26 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And you're right @scarynikki12WB RULES when it comes to their animation division. But I'm still peeved at them because their go to Bats these days is Jason who wishes he was as good as Kevin Fucking! Conroy O'Mara.  I'm soooo conflicted.

I love Kevin Conroy, but WB doesn't want him doing every animated Batman. I can live with that. However between O'Mara and Greenwood, I'd pick Greenwood. I like the roundness of his vocals more.

7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I love Kevin Conroy, but WB doesn't want him doing every animated Batman. I can live with that. However between O'Mara and Greenwood, I'd pick Greenwood. I like the roundness of his vocals more.

Yeah, well I’m not okay with it. Now it’s always O’Mara and he sucks. And it’s Conroy who made animated Bats iconic. He’s still around and he’s always open to playing him. So he should.

• Love 1

I like Kevin Conroy but the Batman character from The Animated Series universe was only one version of the character.  The other animated versions of Batman are different characters, so why use the same actor? I don't think iconicity should outweigh the stories and characters and it's only fair that other actors be given the opportunity to play the role.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

The other animated versions of Batman are different characters, so why use the same actor? I don't think iconicity should outweigh the stories and characters and it's only fair that other actors be given the opportunity to play the role.

Not as far as I'm concerned, they're not. Each and everyone of them is BATMAN. And for me? That's Kevin!Fucking!Conroy! The only time I was okay with Conroy not voicing Bats was in Justice League's New Frontier--because that was essentially a period piece. O'Mara is horrible as Bats, and Greenwood might come close, but no cigar. Plus, WB has him for Bats in Young Justice.

And it's not just me who feels this way. In the interview with Timm, Romano, Conroy and Noveck, Noveck told the story of how when he was at some panel at ComicCon, how every single question was "will Kevin Conroy play Batman?" "Can Kevin Conroy Play Batman..."

That's how good he is. So, for me, I won't accept anyone but him in my animated movies. I'll bitch and grumble when others are cast to play him. Conroy SHOULD have been their choice for Under the Red Hood AND Hush. But nooooo, WB or whoever made the decision were assholes and short-sighted about that.

And just as Kevin Conroy IS Bats for me, Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor; Mark Hamill IS Joker, Michael Rosenbaum IS Wally/Flash; Susan Eisenber IS Diana/Wonder Woman.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me; this is how I FEEL.

• Love 2

Oh man. That sucks. 

I'm starting to doubt Matt Reeves altogether here. Zoe Kravitz is a terrible actress who has one sullen expression that never changes. I've seen her in quite a bit. 

I don't think he can recognize good acting.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Oh man. That sucks. 

I'm starting to doubt Matt Reeves altogether here. Zoe Kravitz is a terrible actress who has one sullen expression that never changes. I've seen her in quite a bit. 

I don't think he can recognize good acting.

No, Zoe Kravitz is really good. This is a good choice. Better than Pattinson as Batman. He could have gone for Hoult, but at least there's one cast member of the best movie ever made.

16 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

She's not good. She's really not. Have you seen X-Men: First Class or Big Little Lies? 

She was fine in X-Men. Not exceptional, but a decent supporting member. I haven't seen Big Little Lies, but I have seen Mad Max Fury Road. Everyone was on top of their game, including Zoe Kravitz.

The Riddler has always been my favorite Batman villain, although that probably has more to do with Frank Gorshin than anything.  The comic book version has usually been a little underwhelming.  I like Jim Carrey, but he was not a good Riddler.  

31 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I like Jim Carrey, but he was not a good Riddler.  

I thought he was a hoot but, agreed, that character had little in common with the Riddler I've gotten to know.

I'm looking forward to Paul's portrayal but I'm more interested in if we get to see the character's intellect rather than a guy running around in a suit with question marks all over it.

The Riddler has never been a big villain in the comics, maybe a C-lister.  It's only because of the Frank Gorshin portrayal that he gained any popularity.  For that reason, he's a character that has plenty of room for different interpretations, as with Carrey in Forever and Glover in The Animated Series.

I was hoping they would save Alfred for a sequel if they were gonna include him.

If they really must put Alfred in the movie, then I would like it if they do something a bit different this time.  Like maybe have an Alfred who is new to Wayne Manor, while Bruce insists that he doesn't need a butler.  Maybe have Alfred be clueless about the Batman's true identity and a bit of a thorn in Bruce's side.  Then have them come to terms at the end of the film.  I think something like that would go a long way in making the character work this time around.

9 minutes ago, Trini said:

It doesn't say what her role is, but ... Batgirl?

She's the right age to play Babs and it would make sense for them to keep quiet about the part as long as possible. If she's not Batgirl then maybe Ivy? If the rumor about The Batman adapting The Long Halloween is correct then Ivy would make more sense than Batgirl since the former has a role to play while the latter is still years away from suiting up. That said, no one has claimed that they'll be doing a straight adaptation, so they can always adjust the story to include her if they want. If she does turn out to be Babs then I hope she and Jurnee meet quickly because I want some Batgirl/Black Canary BFF time.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, ruby24 said:

Andy Serkis would be a better Penguin than Alfred. 

I came to this page and yours was the first post I saw.  The first thing that entered my head was that you were responding to someone who was talking about Alfred Molina playing the Penguin.  And I thought "Wow, he'd make a great Penguin".  

I see now that's not what you were talking about.  But he would make a great Penguin.

• LOL 1

This Batman movie has a more interesting cast than any superhero movie in a long while. I'm actually keen to see what Robert Pattinson does with the role, and the villains being played by Colin Farrell, Paul Dano and John Turturro is really cool.

If they're actually doing The Long Halloween, then I'm officially excited.

• Love 1

LOL at more Falcone and even more Long Halloween.  Damn, so lazy.  Is this really the best Reeves could come up with for a new film?  Just recycle the same plots and characters over and over and over again.  It's like they just don't give a shit about the Batman mythos anymore.

That said the cast for this is great, and seeing an actual Long Halloween adaptation even if only loose sounds interesting, but I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

Just saw HUSH and...BULLFUCKINGSHIT!!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

What was this piece of shit? Riddler as Hush?!🤬🤬🤬 It was Tommy Elliott!!! WTF? And the cast?! Good God Almighty. You have the WORST actor they could possibly get to play Lex! Rainn Wilson. Are you fucking kidding me? His portrayal made him sound like a mealy mouth, nasally sounding whiny boy! ARGH!!!!!!! 
I can’t stand O’Mara and that petulant piece of shit Damian calling Selina a whore? What the fuck were Register, Tucker and whoever the fuck wrote this thing, SMOKING?🤬🤬🤬

I have wanted DCAU to make HUSH for SO LONG, and when they do, not only do they change the story, but I don’t even get the actors who made these characters so iconic,  voicing them! And excuuuse me, but the animation SUCKED and instead of Amanda “The Wall” Waller, I get some skinny ass twit?!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬 And no CCH Pounder?!!

Just WHAT THE FUCK???!!!🤬🤬🤬

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

that petulant piece of shit Damian calling Selina a whore?

That's completely in character for that little shit Damian so it didn't bother me.

I think they changed Hush from Tommy to Riddler because of hindsight. When the story first came out they were hoping Hush would take off and become a major player among Bats' Rogues Gallery. And, to be fair, he was a solid villain in the first story. But the stories after the initial run were increasingly lackluster and he now hangs out on the lower tiers with the other Rogues who wish they were as important as Pengy, Joker, Riddler, etc. So, when it comes time to make the Hush movie, they can remain faithful to the ending or change it so that one of the big names was behind it. I think it would have been fine if they kept things the same because this could have been all the character needed to get another shot at becoming an A-list villain or at least having more affection among Bat fans similar to what Tom King did with Kite Man in his Rebirth run. Since they decided to make the change Riddler was the obvious choice.

Also the first Hush story is primarily about the relationship between Bruce and Selina with the Hush mystery being a step above Macguffin. He takes off the cowl and reveals his identity, they start a relationship, they work together on the case and to take out the various Rogues leading up to Hush, and he ultimately ends things due to his own fears. What I wanted out of this movie was that Bat/Cat focus and it delivered the whole way.

Now if I can just convince them to do a movie series of the Tom King run...

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Also the first Hush story is primarily about the relationship between Bruce and Selina with the Hush mystery being a step above Macguffin. He takes off the cowl and reveals his identity, they start a relationship, they work together on the case and to take out the various Rogues leading up to Hush, and he ultimately ends things due to his own fears. What I wanted out of this movie was that Bat/Cat focus and it delivered the whole way.

That I wholly agree with and that, plus Nightwing, were the best parts of a sucky movie. I think what bothers me most about O'Mara's Bats is his constant "hmmmm"ing he does. It's annoying as fuck.

6 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

That's completely in character for that little shit Damian so it didn't bother me.

True. I really hate and loathe that little toad. I wish he could be Jason Todd'd. There, and YES, I said it. Miserable piece of shit.

I wish they'd tried to match the original Lee's drawings for the animation--This all black on black, eh. 

And I think I'll just go back and READ the original source material.