Type keyword(s) to search

Batman Movies

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

True. I really hate and loathe that little toad. I wish he could be Jason Todd'd. There, and YES, I said it. Miserable piece of shit.

I don’t. Jason’s resurrection made him awesome and I want Damien to never have existed. 

• Love 1
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I don’t. Jason’s resurrection made him awesome and I want Damien to never have existed. 

Oh I mean killed to never be resurrected. Other than The Flash Paradox, there is no time travel timey whimy in Bats' universe, so I'll settle for the stupid little shit's bloody demise.

• Love 1
(edited)

So with Joel Schumacher's passing I thought about why I can still enjoy Batman Forever but dislike Batman and Robin. They both have the suits with nipples, over the top acting from the villains and extreme campiness. I've decided it's definitely Clooney's casting. He just isn't a great Batman or Bruce Wayne. 

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

So with Joel Schumacher's passing I thought about why I can still enjoy Batman Forever but dislike Batman and Robin. They both have the suits with nipples, over the top acting from the villains and extreme campiness. I've decided it's definitely Clooney's casting. He just isn't a great Batman or Bruce Wayne. 

I haven't watched the entirety of either in a long while, but I'd say Batman Forever is the slightly better of the two since it at least explores Bruce Wayne as a character a bit. And it's slightly less campy than B&R. The ridiculousness of Poison Ivy was super cringeworthy to me.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I've always thought Clooney was a great choice to play Batman, but was given a shit script.

The problem for me is that dialogue in Batman & Robin is god-awful. Childish, really. It sounds like it was written by a child who has never heard people talk.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I've always thought Clooney was a great choice to play Batman, but was given a shit script.

In Roger Ebert's review, he had a line about how you cast a Batman for the chin, and Clooney had the best yet.  On paper, it should have worked.  

I almost thought Alicia Silverstone was the bigger problem.  I like her a lot, but she barely has any screen presence, and honestly seems to be there only because they couldn't really have Batman or Robin punching Poison Ivy.  Contrast with Yvonne Craig, who didn't get that much more to work with, but owned so hard that had Batman '66 gotten another season, they were planning to get rid of Robin and have her as Batman's partner.

At this point, I'd rather see a Batman Beyond movie instead of this Matt Reeves one.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, starri said:

At this point, I'd rather see a Batman Beyond movie instead of this Matt Reeves one.

Michael Keaton would be great as old Bruce. Warner Bros is trying to get him for the Flashpoint movie:

(edited)
On 6/23/2020 at 4:15 PM, Trini said:
On 6/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, VCRTracking said:

I haven't watched the entirety of either in a long while, but I'd say Batman Forever is the slightly better of the two since it at least explores Bruce Wayne as a character a bit. And it's slightly less campy than B&R. The ridiculousness of Poison Ivy was super cringeworthy to me.

So one of the cable channels did a Bat-movie marathon since I posted this, and while Batman Forever has its issues*, it's still WAY better and more rewatchable than Batman & Robin. The campiness is much more extreme in the latter, and half the dialog should NOT be puns! I guess they felt they had to top themselves after they let Jim Carrey go full Jim Carrey in Forever. The best thing I can say about B&R is that the costumes/makeup for Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze were impressive. I don't think Clooney was the problem, although I don't think he was very memorable in the role.

*(Ugh - I'd forgotten that most of Dr. Meridian's "characterization" was her being horny for Batman.)

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

I think a Batman Beyond film would be cool if they approached it as a sci-fi (+ mystery?) film, not just a Batman/comic book film.

But speaking of Batman's extensive roster of related characters; I wished WB/DC had tried doing something with Nightwing. I mean, he's younger, sexier, has less baggage, almost as well known,  and has his own connections to the Teen Titans and Batgirl - if they want to do team-ups. I know it's very unlikely now that there currently a (Teen) Titans show, but I just wonder why they haven't tried branching off with another Gotham hero. Instead of another film centered on Batman's villains.

• Love 3

The Joel Schumacher films may have been of inferior quality but they did get to the heart of Batman better than the Burton films did.  Plus the score was well done and the action looked great.

While a Batman Beyond film sounds cool I'm not really a fan of doing adaptations of adaptations.  I also don't like it when the popularity of shows like Batman The Animated Series and others overshadow the comic book source material.

• Love 1

Interesting recent video essays that unintentionally formed two sides of a debate. The first one is about how his working with IMAX starting wirh The Dark Knight made Nolan a better filmmaker. His style became more open and  framed shots wider instead of just shooting close ups and he also moved the camera more. The second essay worries that Nolan's move toward epic scope overwhelms the intimate, personal stories he used to be so good at.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Screenrant, so grain of salt time, is claiming the new movie will explore Batman's trauma. To which I say, good. This is completely new territory that hasn't been done to death. What happened to that guy anyway? What do his parents think of his career choice? Maybe we can see his origin story. 2.5 hours of this guy's inner pain and turmoil seems like a really interesting and not at all dull, depressing, or overplayed theme.

Seriously? Has Matt Reeves not seen Batman Begins? Do we really need or want to go through that again?

In other news, when looking up the cast, I thought, Wasn't Colin Farrel Batman in the Dark Knight Trilogy? Wait, it was Bale. Even the cast is starting to feel interchangeable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2020 at 12:06 AM, Tenshinhan said:

While a Batman Beyond film sounds cool I'm not really a fan of doing adaptations of adaptations.  I also don't like it when the popularity of shows like Batman The Animated Series and others overshadow the comic book source material.

A movie or a tv show, which has built-in access to a mass audience, is always going to be more popular than a comic book, just in terms of raw numbers.  The bar to entry, both in terms of cost ($4.99 for a single comic these days vs flipping past Cartoon Network) and the sheer volume of material can be rather intimidating.  And that's before you get to the stigma of being an adult who collects comics.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

c5d8c35abb9925719c330a951db5dca6.thumb.jpg.1cece56fe630dfc0df43d7bdf115c8d3.jpg

I've come to accept that we will never see a scene like this in a live action Batman movie. Even though Bruce being the head of a family of young heroes who are his surrogate kids is arguably the most appealing part of the Batman comics by a majority of fans. No filmmaker wants to do a movie where Batman has a kid sidekick because it would just not make him look good. There's no way you can make Batman putting a child in harm's way justifiable or believable to a mainstream audience. 

Edited by VCRTracking
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

There's no way you can make Batman putting a child in harm's way justifiable or believable to a mainstream audience. 

I could imagine a kid's movie? From their perspective? Kids helping out like Sherlock Holmes' irregulars?

5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Even though Bruce being the head of a family of young heroes who are his surrogate kids is arguably the most appealing part of the Batman comics by a majority of fans.

This must be a relatively recent development because I can't really imagine something like that being the most appealing part of the Batman comics.

5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

There's no way you can make Batman putting a child in harm's way justifiable or believable to a mainstream audience. 

I don't know if this is really true or not, but aside from that, you could always include Grayson or whomever as a child without having him go out as Robin.  Someone working alongside Bruce in the detective work at home.  Then maybe once the character becomes an adult they can transition into the Robin persona.

41 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

I don't know if this is really true or not, but aside from that, you could always include Grayson or whomever as a child without having him go out as Robin.  Someone working alongside Bruce in the detective work at home.  Then maybe once the character becomes an adult they can transition into the Robin persona.

This is the only way I've ever thought it could work in live action. Basically an adopted son, finds out what Bruce does and is prohibited from doing it but insists on it anyway, and then once he's legal, Bruce decides if he's going to do it anyway he may as well train him so that he's capable of it.

And I think that can only happen once- I don't think it would be acceptable to have him with multiple adopted kids who all wind up doing this, because then it looks like he recruits children for the purpose of endangering them.

• Love 1

Assuming the Robins would show up I would guess that Jason and Tim would come on the scene in their late teens or they'd just bypass the early years and go into the Red Hood story and Tim being Red Robin. My greatest fear is that they'll bring on that little shit Damian but I would expect him to be aged into a teenager as well.

Dick is the best known and, arguably, the most loved Robin so I could see them keeping the Bruce as guardian part of the story and continue through to him becoming Nightwing as an adult. Especially if The Batman does borrow heavily from Long Halloween because Dark Victory, which includes Dick's arrival and origin, would be the logical story for the sequel to adapt.

Babs was never one of his surrogate children so that foundation is different. They just need to make sure the relationship remains mentor/mentee and keep Bruce Timm and his creepy Batman/Batgirl shipping far far away.

• Love 4

I know you said live action, but that basically sounds like the Lego Batman movie- where a tween Robin teaches Bruce to embrace the bat-family.  And, we just had a season of an adult “sidekick” mentoring a group of teen heroes on Stargirl.  I’d even suggest the Tony/Peter relationship in Spider-Man Homecoming is a workable model for a modern Batman and Robin dynamic.  You basically have an adult hero putting a teenager in dangerous situations, and the audience was fine with it- of course, MCU New York isn’t the grimdark nightmare that Gotham City is usually portrayed as.

So there is precedent for that kind of story- we just need a filmmaker with the... courage? to not treat Batman like it’s Fight Club.  I’d like to think there’s a way to do live action Batman with Robin that isn’t a campy joke (even though Batman ‘66 is a lot smarter than it gets credit for) - but we need both the industry and the audience to stop treating “all black, dead parents” as the defining quality of the series.  Batman can be fun, and Robin might be the way to make it happen.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Dick is the best known and, arguably, the most loved Robin so I could see them keeping the Bruce as guardian part of the story and continue through to him becoming Nightwing as an adult. Especially if The Batman does borrow heavily from Long Halloween because Dark Victory, which includes Dick's arrival and origin, would be the logical story for the sequel to adapt.

What kills me is that Dick is SOOOOOO much more interesting as Nightwing, but they can't really lead with that.

• Love 5
On 8/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, ruby24 said:

This is the only way I've ever thought it could work in live action. Basically an adopted son, finds out what Bruce does and is prohibited from doing it but insists on it anyway, and then once he's legal, Bruce decides if he's going to do it anyway he may as well train him so that he's capable of it.

When is one legal to go out and be a vigilante?  Of course in the comics somehow Batman was given an official police badge.  Not sure how that works since he doesn't exactly follow procedure.  But whatever.  If you like the idea of Batman as a deeply damaged psychological individual, putting a minor in danger as Robin kind of fits in with it.  Robin was brought in to brighten Batman up, but if you think about it he kind of makes him darker.  I think it could be done, but Robin would have to be well written and played by a likable actor.

On 8/16/2020 at 3:36 AM, Chyromaniac said:

I know you said live action, but that basically sounds like the Lego Batman movie- where a tween Robin teaches Bruce to embrace the bat-family.  And, we just had a season of an adult “sidekick” mentoring a group of teen heroes on Stargirl.  I’d even suggest the Tony/Peter relationship in Spider-Man Homecoming is a workable model for a modern Batman and Robin dynamic.  You basically have an adult hero putting a teenager in dangerous situations, and the audience was fine with it- of course, MCU New York isn’t the grimdark nightmare that Gotham City is usually portrayed as.

So there is precedent for that kind of story- we just need a filmmaker with the... courage? to not treat Batman like it’s Fight Club.  I’d like to think there’s a way to do live action Batman with Robin that isn’t a campy joke (even though Batman ‘66 is a lot smarter than it gets credit for) - but we need both the industry and the audience to stop treating “all black, dead parents” as the defining quality of the series.  Batman can be fun, and Robin might be the way to make it happen.

Well, they've pretty much turned Titans into Nightwing and the BatFamily so ... 

I hate that, btw.  I wanted a Titans show and got nothing but Nightwing and BatFamily drama instead.  But on the Titans show, they show Dick's struggle with working for Batman as a teenager and his conflicted feelings over that.  I wish they'd just have done the Nightwing show instead of calling it Titans though.  

I'm very excited to see The Batman movie - that's if we actually get it given Robert came down with Covid (best wishes for a speedy recovery).  That teaser trailer was just SO good.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:55 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

WAHOOOOOO!!!!!!’ Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is on Netflix!!! No wonder it isn’t available on HBO Max along with the other movies.

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌😎😎😎😎

And I finally just watched for the first time on Netflix! May I just say BRAVO!

Totally knew Andrea was the Phantasm! Gosh, poor Bruce: his serious girlfriends are either masked antiheroes/villains who are just as messed up as he is or just one-note boring characters (hi Rachel Dawes, what's good?). But they were cute as hell together, and he was happy, if only for a little while.

Had to laugh at Bruce's precostume vigilante outings. Yeah it doesn't work as well without the cowl...

I didn't know the visual of him stripped down to batpants/tights as something I needed to see, but DAMN!!!!

Alfred, as always, is the king of shade. And I loved their moment at the end.

Mark Hamill's Joker was fantastic, but that goes without saying.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I finally just watched for the first time on Netflix! May I just say BRAVO!

Totally knew Andrea was the Phantasm! Gosh, poor Bruce: his serious girlfriends are either masked antiheroes/villains who are just as messed up as he is or just one-note boring characters (hi Rachel Dawes, what's good?). But they were cute as hell together, and he was happy, if only for a little while.

Had to laugh at Bruce's precostume vigilante outings. Yeah it doesn't work as well without the cowl...

I didn't know the visual of him stripped down to batpants/tights as something I needed to see, but DAMN!!!!

Alfred, as always, is the king of shade. And I loved their moment at the end.

Mark Hamill's Joker was fantastic, but that goes without saying.

And I saw it when it was released in the theatres! It was the only one ever to do that, but didn't do so well due it being around Christmas. But the animation was just FANTABULOUS.

My favorite exchange in this movie between Alfred and Bats/Bruce:

Bats/Bruce: "You think you know everything about me, don't you?"

Alfred: "I diapered your bottom; I bloody well ought to! Sir!"

Me: 😂

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I saw it when it was released in the theatres! It was the only one ever to do that, but didn't do so well due it being around Christmas. But the animation was just FANTABULOUS.

My favorite exchange in this movie between Alfred and Bats/Bruce:

Bats/Bruce: "You think you know everything about me, don't you?"

Alfred: "I diapered your bottom; I bloody well ought to! Sir!"

Me: 😂

LMAO! There hasn't been a single bad version of Alfred in any of the shows/movies. 

• Love 1

There was an interview last fall where Kevin Conroy said that he drew on Mask of the Phantasm, and Bruce's decision to forego love with Andrea in favor of his mission, to help him understand the broken version of Bruce in Crisis on Infinite Earths (that living a life without love would bring him to that).  I thought it was really cool that Kevin was able to draw on his long history of voicing Bruce in animation to inform his live-action portrayal.

• Love 5
On 5/27/2021 at 11:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

If they want to release each part early so I can watch them now that'd be great.

Posting this here as well since this is a Batman movie.

I got Part I two days ago!!!! Like I posted in the DC thread, I'magonnaforcemyselftowait until Part II, so I can watch these back-to-back!

And like I also said, since they couldn't or wouldn't get Kevin Conroy, Jensen Ackles is a good second choice. But it shoulda been KevinFucking!Conroy! DAMMIT!

On 6/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And like I also said, since they couldn't or wouldn't get Kevin Conroy, Jensen Ackles is a good second choice. But it shoulda been KevinFucking!Conroy! DAMMIT!

I think that Conroy's either semi-retired, or they don't want to confuse universes by having him play the role in animation that's unrelated to the Timmverse. I don't know if he's going to be involved in the new Batman: Caped Crusader show that's a co-project of Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves.

(edited)
On 6/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, MarkHB said:

I think that Conroy's either semi-retired, or they don't want to confuse universes by having him play the role in animation that's unrelated to the Timmverse. I don't know if he's going to be involved in the new Batman: Caped Crusader show that's a co-project of Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves.

There are several movies not related to Timmverse that he's played Batman

Confusion, schmofusion. He is BATMAN. That's all I care about. And he's said he's more than happy to continue voicing him if/when asked.

ETA: He's providing the voice for Mer-Man in the New Masters of the Universe: Revelation series. So, no, I don't think he's semi-retired.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I just watched  Batman: The Long Halloween. I have the graphic novel but haven’t read it in years so I don’t know if changes were made. It was okay.

I will say I didn’t like the ending. Bats never lets the bad guy get away with their crimes, no matter if they had a good reason. 

See Exhibit A: Andrea in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm!

I figured out who Holiday was in the second part halfway through.

I also didn’t like that Thomas Wayne was “in bed” with the mob. Sort of. 😒😒😒

Jensen did a great job as Bats. But I still wish they had gotten Kevin Conroy.

I’m going to assume that this was Bats in his early years (what with Gordon being Captain) and hadn’t become the great detective he’s supposed to be.

The animation wasn’t that great-Bruce looked like he was some goth or wearing eyeliner for what was supposed to be his lower lashes. Blech.

And now I’m going to watch Mask of the Phantasm.

• Love 1
On 6/23/2020 at 11:11 PM, WritinMan said:

Yea I think it was the script too. I did a complete rewatch of ER over the past year. In one of Clooney's last episodes there is a shot of him walking through Chicago and it is dark and their is snow on the ground and he is wearing a long jacket. He is dealing with a lot of shit at the hospital and it is reflected in the way he carries himself. If they could have translated that into Batman, like an older beatdown Batman, like in TDKR who is also tired of all the Bullshit because nothing ever gets better it could have been good. Especially if you make the public Bruce persona basically a Danny Ocean type.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:17 PM, rmontro said:

If you like the idea of Batman as a deeply damaged psychological individual, putting a minor in danger as Robin kind of fits in with it.  

I could maybe buy the idea of Batman putting a minor in danger by letting him fight by his side. But what I wouldn't be able to accept would be Gordon just going along with it and having no issue. And I think I would rather have a Batman movie with Gordon in it than Robin.

So I watched Under The Red Hood yesterday and aside from casting* (Ackles was great as adult Jason), and animation, I suddenly realized that for the horrific beating to death Joker gave him, Robin was barely bloody. And this was rated PG-13, and we saw plenty of blood with the killings of other minions.

*Kevin!Fucking!Conroy! Should ALWAYS play Bats, and here especially for this iconic story.

On 3/19/2022 at 10:21 AM, Luckylyn said:

Why are Batman Movies Afriad of Robin?

I really think the new series starting with The Batman is the best chance to introduce Robin.

If they ever want to do Robin, they’ve already introduced a character that would work perfectly - just make him the mayor’s son.

• Useful 1

If TPTB aren't interested in doing a father-son story with Batman and Robin in the movies; how about they just skip the most of the Robin stuff and do a Nightwing/Dick Grayson film? (Unlikely since they kinda already doing that with the Titans series -- but still.)

It's just a little weird to me that they've done movies centered on his villains but not on any of the many other Gotham heroes. (Yes, I know Batgirl is coming soon-ish; hope it's good and does well.)

• Love 1

Dusting off the thread with some Batman Day (Sept. 16) announcements: https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/09/06/the-world-celebrates-batman-day-2023

https://www.dc.com/batmanday

Specifically about the Batman films; they'll be aired on various cable channels and at Alamo Drafthouse in the U.S.

Celebrating the 35th anniversary of Warner Bros. Pictures’ 1989 film Batman, Warner Bros. Discovery Global Themed Entertainment will bring the film to symphony halls around the globe as part of its DC in Concert series in 2024. Guests will enjoy the film projected onto a larger-than-life screen while Danny Elfman’s iconic musical score is performed by a live orchestra. Visit www.DCFilmsinConcert.com beginning Sept. 8 for dates and ticket information.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Remastered in 4K Ultra HD – Available for purchase September 12 from Warner Bros Discovery Home Entertainment, celebrate the 30th anniversary of one of the most celebrated films in Batman’s cinematic history with the release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, now remastered in 4K Ultra HD for the first time. This new version will also include an all-new featurette, Kevin Conroy, I Am the Knight, celebrating the legacy of actor Kevin Conroy, who voiced Batman for 30 years in film, television, video games, and more.

23 hours ago, Trini said:

Dusting off the thread with some Batman Day (Sept. 16) announcements: https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/09/06/the-world-celebrates-batman-day-2023

https://www.dc.com/batmanday

Specifically about the Batman films; they'll be aired on various cable channels and at Alamo Drafthouse in the U.S.

Pre-Ordered!!!

I hope they were able to have Kevin’s friends and co-stars talk about him in the special features. As well as Timm, Romano, Burnett, Dini…

• Like 2

Essay at Empire online: 'Why Batman Is Cinema’s Greatest Superhero'

A superhero with no actual superpowers (except for fat stacks of Benjamins), Bats is – in essence – just a man trying to turn his pain into something positive; a vigilante in a cowl and cape who’s capable of evolving with the times to be whatever kind of hero the moment asks for. It’s no wonder such a dynamic array of filmmakers – from Leslie H. Martinson to Tim Burton, Bruce Timm to Joel Schumacher, and Christopher Nolan to Zack Snyder among many, many others – have been inspired to send up the Bat-signal on the big screen in live-action and animation over the years.

What we’re trying to say is, whether you like your Caped Crusader darker (Burton’s Batman duology and Snyder’s DCEU outings), lighter (Batman: The Movie, Schumacher’s duology, The LEGO Batman Movie), or just auteurist enough so that you don’t fear losing your cinephile credentials (Nolan’s trilogy, Reeves’ The Batman), there really is a Batman – and a Batman film – for everyone.

------

I know everyone has their own favorites and rankings, but agree with the general idea here that ALL* the Batmen are valid.

I don't know if it's a "hot take" or not, but I feel that whether a Batman is good or great depends more on the writing and direction than the actor.

*(I haven't seen every animated version, so maybe there's a 'bad' take in one of those? I don't know.)

• Like 1