Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I feel bad for being happy about this, but whatevs. Luke should have been off the show years ago, IMO.

Don't feel bad. It's completely his choice and imo I think he's probably very happy right now.

• Love 2

Kin isn't gay?!?

I mean, I guess it's possible that he's bisexual, but he and Genie were definitely a couple in the late 70's; I think it ended before Scott & Laura were married onscreen. Bearding isn't unheard of in Hollywood, but I don't think that was going on in this case.  

From EW...

Later, Geary cracked that he won’t miss watching video of Luke’s wedding to Laura in 1981. (At an astonishing 30 million, the nuptials remain the most-watched episode in daytime history.) “It was 33 years ago, people,” Geary quipped. “For Christ’s sake, let it go.”

Shut.up.

• Love 17
(edited)
“It was 33 years ago, people,” Geary quipped. “For Christ’s sake, let it go.”

Feel free to go kickstart that Disorderlies sequel, Tony.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 12

Didn't he not want a cake? It looks like that woman in the sleeveless blue dress on the right is cutting herself a slice. Hee.

Is that Jane?

Finola cut the cake for Ian's goodbye party. 

• Love 1

I'd argue that the Luke/Tracy pairing is far from successful unless you mean two characters who share screen time because 'pairing' as in love? I don't see it with those two at all - no matter how many times TG insists Tracy is the love of Luke's life. TG and JE don't have a bit of romantic chemistry that I can see.

I watched those Luke and Laura scenes this week and whether TG likes it or not - in my opinion he and GF have chemistry. They just do. It doesn't seem to matter how long it is between scenes together - they click. Certainly the scenes this week were ones of a couple that used to be in love but both actors shined.

I am a sucker for a pairing on a soap that has real chemistry.

I agree. TG and GF have the chemistry. Jane had great chemistry with an actor on Guiding Light. <Plus he was on OLTL with Vicki. The actors were terrific. Can't think of his name. Plus Tracey J E had great chemistry with the guy who raped Connie .I cannot think of their names right now. Brain freeze . Old age catching up to me. I see more things from TG than GF. I am watching again, to see Tony LEAVE. In a pine box would not disappoint me at all.

Kinda looks like Jessica Collins from Y&R got a bigger send off than Tony Geary this week. She had food trucks on set, big cast photo and cake, then a party with everyone (including Billy Miller) after. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the set is the outside of Kelly's, though it's hard to tell.

Kinda looks like Jessica Collins from Y&R got a bigger send off than Tony Geary this week. She had food trucks on set, big cast photo and cake, then a party with everyone (including Billy Miller) after.

In one of his farewell interviews, TG said he didn't want them to make a big deal, but he acknowledged that the party was for everyone else as much as for him. So I think they compromised with something low-key. And let's face it, the cake probably wrecked the craft-services budget for the rest of the month. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4
(edited)
Later, Geary cracked that he won’t miss watching video of Luke’s wedding to Laura in 1981. (At an astonishing 30 million, the nuptials remain the most-watched episode in daytime history.) “It was 33 years ago, people,” Geary quipped. “For Christ’s sake, let it go.”

I hope I never have to hear anyone quote Shakespeare again. It was 400 years ago, people. Let it go!!!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 18

I wish he would let go of saying stuff like this. I was never the biggest Luke and Laura fan in those days - though I will admit I was home 'sick' from school to see the wedding. I liked them more when they returned in the 90s (it was the 90s right?).

But good lawd this guy. He wouldn't have been on this show for all these years if not for this pairing. Sorry but when the show is having a 50th anniversary or an actor is leaving after so many years on the show - the highlights are going to be celebrated. I'm not saying he isn't allowed to be tired of it, but fans are fans. Rock bands play songs from years ago at concerts for that very reason.

• Love 16

Are people constantly accosting the man and forcing him to watch this video?  I somehow doubt it.  

• Love 12

Are people constantly accosting the man and forcing him to watch this video?  I somehow doubt it.  

To be fair to Tony, a clip was probably including in the goodbye video that Frank had put together and aired during his goodbye party. 

Nevertheless, with both Tony and Genie, I've never seen two people who were a part of the pinnacle of something (the highest rated hour of daytime programming) who have tried to disavow themselves from and resent achieving that pinnacle.  I don't see the actors on MASH going around and grumbling about achieving the prime time equivalent.

They achieved that mark young in both of their lives.  If they wanted to eclipse it -- it was theirs for the taking. To be so openly hostile to it seems to demonstrate a contempt for it, and for the audience who viewed it, and all of daytime's audience, as well. 

• Love 8

One thing I will say is I am sicker of Tony /Luke than he is of GH. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.  Have you ever seen anyone who sticks his foot in his mouth likeTony. All the fans of L &L and also Luke are now HAPPY to see you go. Knowing the way re_Ron swings when he doesn't get his way. Luke will probably end up being a seriel kiler or Hannable Lecktor. TG lef, so let the insults begin.MAybe Luke has Lucky.

• Love 6
(edited)

Nevertheless, with both Tony and Genie, I've never seen two people who were a part of the pinnacle of something (the highest rated hour of daytime programming) who have tried to disavow themselves from and resent achieving that pinnacle.  I don't see the actors on MASH going around and grumbling about achieving the prime time equivalent.

They achieved that mark young in both of their lives.  If they wanted to eclipse it -- it was theirs for the taking. To be so openly hostile to it seems to demonstrate a contempt for it, and for the audience who viewed it, and all of daytime's audience, as well. 

I can kind of see GF being bitter if the height of Luke and Laura mania occurred at a time when her personal life was a mess, and if the show runners favored TG.  

And I can understand that the actors don't want to say that the current storytelling is terrible and insane (after all, they want to get paid -- and I assume a lot of them don't even try to watch the show as it airs anyway).

But they at least shouldn't embarrass themselves by acting like GH in the big Luke-and-Laura-wedding era was somehow inferior, or too sappy or sentimental (it was sentimental, but the sentiment was earned by good storytelling and likable characters back then).  Or that Fluke and this current nonsense is somehow better.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 6
(edited)

I am more than ready to for TG leave GH but I'm kind of sad that RC is the writer on the show for his last story. To be fair, it will probably only be about as bad as My Way - so there's that

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 3

I can kind of see GF being bitter if the height of Luke and Laura mania occurred at a time when her personal life was a mess, and if the show runners favored TG.

To be struggling with addiction and then be told by a producer that it wouldn't matter if she lived or died, Tony was the show, could cause a certain level of bitterness.  I can understand why she decided to walk away when her contract was up and thank goodness she did.  She's been addiction free for 34 years.

• Love 14

Ironically, that probably saved her life. That doesn't let ABCD off the hook in any way, however. It worked both TG and GF like dogs during the L/L heyday. I remember reading at the time that they were taping 30 to 40 pages a DAY. Throw in some disrespect and misogyny, and I'd probably end up with a coke habit, too.

• Love 8
(edited)

I just watched GF intimate portrait I really felt bad for her.They talked about how that they convinced her to drop out of school because there wasnt enough time in the day to film all her scenes.How that she started doing drugs because she wanted to fight in with the adults of the show.

Edited by Harmony233
(edited)

Paul Petersen, Jeff Stone from the Donna Reed Show, grew up to found an organization called A Minor Consideration, which helps fight for the rights of child actors (specifically involving things such as child labor laws and what happens with a child's earnings). He has given several interviews on this topic over the years, but at 25:48 in this particular interview, he brings up Genie, and tells a small but significant story about what she went through on GH that hasn't been mentioned here. I mean, damn:

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5

That is some incredibly shitty parenting

Few people in the world disgust me more than the grasping stage parents.  It's just so gross to look at your child as your meal ticket and put that pressure on them. 

• Love 12
Few people in the world disgust me more than the grasping stage parents.  It's just so gross to look at your child as your meal ticket and put that pressure on them.

It's so fucked-up. It's why I can't completely write off people like Lindsay Lohan. Sure, she's not doing herself any favors, but her parents abdicated their responsibilities to such a degree—and are continuing to manipulate her—that it's no wonder she's such a mess. I mean, what mother parties with her underage daughter? It's so, so gross.

• Love 11
(edited)

It is shitty, but Genie's parent's weren't "stage parents" in the true sense of the word. They were both in the business.  Genie's father was a well known character actor, but he also knew there wasn't a guarantee of a job for months at a time.  When Gloria sat down with Genie and Ivor and told him she was basically going to make Genie one of the central figures in the show, Ivor told Genie what the pitfalls were going to be and gave her the out.  Genie adored her father and has said it was incredibly difficult for him, having her making significantly more money than he did and depending on her income to help support the family. 

Edited by LegalParrot81

It's so fucked-up. It's why I can't completely write off people like Lindsay Lohan. Sure, she's not doing herself any favors, but her parents abdicated their responsibilities to such a degree—and are continuing to manipulate her—that it's no wonder she's such a mess. I mean, what mother parties with her underage daughter? It's so, so gross.

Her parents are the worst. Bringing your underage child to clubs and exposing them to drinking and drugs at an early age because you want to live vicariously through their fame is so disgusting and messed up.  I think that, at some point, some of these parents almost prefer their kids to be drinking or using, because it makes them less likely to become strong and independent enough to take over their own lives and get out of the business. 

• Love 4
Genie adored her father and has said it was incredibly difficult for him, having her making significantly more money than he did and depending on her income to help support the family.

No matter how good the parent-child relationship, putting your child in the position of being the main breadwinner is putting a lot of undue pressure on the kid.

• Love 11

Back to Tony's on set goodbye send off, that totally wasn't Jane in blue.  I saw in her in a white shirt in a different picture.

Does anyone else wonder if Michael Logan was forbidden on the set that day? They had press there, and Logan's been Tony's biggest cheerleader for literally decades.

But Frank carries a mean grudge. 

• Love 4
(edited)
Does anyone else wonder if Michael Logan was forbidden on the set that day? They had press there, and Logan's been Tony's biggest cheerleader for literally decades.

But Frank carries a mean grudge.

I would kind of love this. You know it would just kill Logan not to be a part of it.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

Wow, just saw the ratings for last week.  All new low for the 18-49 female demo.

Can we now please have a new head writer?  And toss out all those minions he brought with him from OLTL. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh snap!  It looks like the bottom just fell out . . .

http://www.soapoperanetwork/2015/06/ratings-gh-hits-new-low-in-women-18-49-demo

If ABC doesn't make a change now, they never will.  

And it's sad becsuse I think certain plots and characters are, or rather were before today, working.  But I think the show as a whole has totally gone off the rails since the Ball/Live episodes.  Hell, the show is so far off the rails it can't even see the rails anymore.  The rails are a dot to the show.  

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3