Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I think GH probably seems less terrible if you don't watch it regularly - like if you check in every few months . The problem is that it's a soap opera that's intended to be watched on a daily basis 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

That anyone, let alone Rachel Maddow, would refer to this show as "really good television" is jaw dropping.

Rachel Maddow said that?! Well, she was known to be sick with a cold or flu or whatever not long ago. I blame whatever medication she is/was on!

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

That anyone, let alone Rachel Maddow, would refer to this show as "really good television" is jaw dropping.

It's entirely possible she was throwing shade at its current quality (or even just Sonny alone). I kind of got that impression from her tone of voice. 

• Love 4
Just now, ulkis said:

Are we sure Rachel Maddow wasn't attempting to make a joke?

I just said that! Yeah, I wasn't sure she was being serious. 

1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

Well, that would make sense. She did give mention the episode number, so I thought she was applauding its longevity. Jean and Frank were happy about it.

Combination of admiration for its longevity and shade over its ridiculous characters, I guess. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I think GH probably seems less terrible if you don't watch it regularly - like if you check in every few months . The problem is that it's a soap opera that's intended to be watched on a daily basis 

I agree with this, and I think it extends to most shows. I used to get annoyed/bored with whichever soaps I was watching regularly, and I would try one of the others. At first it was always fun to see new actors, meet different characters, figure out what their relationships are. They always seemed to be doing interesting things. Why hadn't I been watching this one all along? Then once you've been watching every day for a few months, you're in a better position to say "They have the same conversation over and over" or "That story never moves; the guy just keeps going from one woman to the other and then back." Inevitably there's some boring character, couple, or group of characters that we keep going back to. You have to be a regular to chart the peaks and valleys.    

If someone only watched once in a blue moon and tuned in to GH recently, and didn't have the misfortune of landing on an embarrassing Nurses' Ball musical number, this might look pretty good. If I had never seen Morgan, I might actually be moved by this protracted grieving for him. He's a much easier character to care about when he's an abstract idea.   

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

I think this is definitely true for all soaps. My sister watches Days so occasionally I'll come in when she's watching and catch some stuff or she'll show me something and tbh I think Days is ten times better than GH. Yet going by what I hear from people online that are watching it, it sucks hard.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Interestingly, that's kinda how I watched soaps when I was younger.  I'd be into a storyline on one for a while, but then my schedule would change or I'd get bored and I'd latch onto another.  I bounced around the ABC soaps a lot when there were four of them.  I think that's one element of soap watching that's been lost now that there's one on the network, and also when AMC and OLTL were online.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
On 6/12/2017 at 4:41 PM, peachmangosteen said:

No one deserves that!

On 6/12/2017 at 10:56 PM, stlbf said:

I grant thee clemency!  Two hours of Sonny is really jumping into cruel and unusual punishment. 

I just finished last week's episodes in under 2 hours. I couldn't make myself not watch it in ff. Damn, it was terrible! 

I did it lol.  I watched Sonny and Carly during the SB says.  It wasn't so bad.  Mostly because of SB.  

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Interestingly, that's kinda how I watched soaps when I was younger.  I'd be into a storyline on one for a while, but then my schedule would change or I'd get bored and I'd latch onto another.  I bounced around the ABC soaps a lot when there were four of them.  I think that's one element of soap watching that's been lost now that there's one on the network, and also when AMC and OLTL were online.

I was the same. I would see an article in a soap mag about a story that seemed like my kinda thing on a soap I didn't watch so I'd start watching that soap for awhile and then stop when I got bored. It's hard to do that nowadays because there's so few soaps and also because there's not really any soap mags anymore.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was the same. I would see an article in a soap mag about a story that seemed like my kinda thing on a soap I didn't watch so I'd start watching that soap for awhile and then stop when I got bored. It's hard to do that nowadays because there's so few soaps and also because there's not really any soap mags anymore.

You'll appreciate this, peach.  I wasn't really watching any soap in 2009 and then I read a blurb about the Kish storyline starting on, like, USA Today's web site or something.  Started checking clips of them out, then got sucked back into OLTL as a whole, started commenting on it at TWoP, and the rest is history lol.

• Love 3
On 6/15/2017 at 9:41 AM, TeeVee329 said:

I don't know who Tom Casiello is, but I would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

I'm trying to remember if he was writing for Y&R when they had one of the biggest misogynists in soap history, Victor Newman, bodily throw a woman (played by Maura West, to make this about GH) out of an ambulance. If so then I have no idea why he would be surprised that the genre that did so much for him has fed off of the fear and hatred of women for too many years now.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I'm trying to remember if he was writing for Y&R when they had one of the biggest misogynists in soap history, Victor Newman, bodily throw a woman (played by Maura West, to make this about GH) out of an ambulance. If so then I have no idea why he would be surprised that the genre that did so much for him has fed off of the fear and hatred of women for too many years now.

I remember that and Diane literally being overkilled but that's a rant for a Y&R thread.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2017 at 3:42 AM, Pete Martell said:

He wrote for Y&R from 2006-2011, but he was a breakdown writer, so he had no input into storylines or plot points or things of that nature.

1 hour ago, yowsah1 said:

He wrote for Y&R from 2006-2011, but he was a breakdown writer, so he had no input into storylines or plot points or things of that nature.

Thanks. It's just odd to me when someone who was involved in such a misogynistic era for soaps suddenly makes an issue of it after the fact. That tenure of Y&R was also when a woman was gaslighted into a miscarriage and her fetus was thrown into a fireplace by the man harassing and stalking her. I realize none of that was his doing, and also that you can't exactly badmouth your employers, but tweeting about Sonny Corinthos years later feels too little too late to me.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I was trying to figure out who the HW was for that time period and I realized that Y&R chucked JP&SA after only a year. Why are we still stuck with them?

Well, technically JP is gone now at least.

1 hour ago, IWantCandy71 said:

Any news on if we're getting a NIV wedding? I will tune in for that.

Yes, RPW showed some picture. No exact dates yet but probably in two or three weeks.

(edited)
4 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

So, apparently, Jason Thompson has started up his own app:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVpqCi_DusD/?taken-by=myjasonthompson

You can almost smell the desperation...

I don't think it's desperate. Maybe it won't work, maybe it will. But the fact he is diversifying seems good to me, what with soaps on life support. If other interests can bear fruit for these actors, cool!

I admire any of these actors expanding their horizons (outside of pyramid schemes).

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 5

Shoot me now.  SBu is coming back to GH. So I guess we're in for a tale of two Jason's..

And Rebecca Budig is out, supposedly a storyline dictated exit. Guess they have to clear salary space for Burton...

• Love 3
On 6/14/2017 at 7:27 PM, HeatLifer said:

Aw. How cute. I still remember when she first aired. 

It's even worse for me. I remember when *Robin* was first cast. I just hope Emma doesn't become a teen mom because I can barely take this "Sunrise, Sunset" emotion, as it is. 

• Love 2

So much for Burton leaving Y&R to focus on his family and move to Tennessee full time. What? That was like 4 months ago! WTF? I guess he wanted to play with his friends and make a boat load of money. I'm dying to hear his spin on it. It will sound like this....Frank just happend to call me (actually, I got on my hands and knees and begged him) to see if I would be interested in coming back.....or.......The writers gave me a heads up on the storyline (I'm gonna be front burner 24/7 and make some people lose their jobs) and, it's so well written......or......I loved the people at Y&R (I couldn't wait to get away from Eric Braden) but I had unfinished business at GH and I want to do it for the fans ( and, my bank account).

• Love 4