Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Yeah, at this point I care more about salvaging the actual characters than holding the role open for KMc to come back for short, unsatisfying stints.   I wish KMc every success and it would be nice if it would work out with her schedule.  But it apparently doesn't.  

Robin's offscreen captivity forever is ruining characters onscreen, adding another layer of ickiness onto already bad and tone-deaf stories ... and it needs to be ended -- with a recast if necessary.  

A temp recast to fix the mess they've created ... with later occasional visits to town from a happy Robin played by KMc, could work.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 6

But for every Tony Geary, there's a Jonathan Jackson. And hey, even Anna had a recast, albeit hideous. And I do realize TG/GF, etc. were on much longer. I'm just saying, recasting does happen if TPTB decide they want a character around but the actor doesn't want to return. And there's nothing saying if KMc does want to return, she can't get the role back. Sure, it isn't fair, but ask Sabine Singh, who took over as Greenlee from Rebecca Budig, Coltin Scott who took over for Tyler Christopher, and Robert Kelker-Kelly who took over the role of Bo Brady from Peter Reckell on Days. That's show biz.

We're just not gonna agree, lol. I wasn't really trying to debate about this, in the first place. We all have different wants on the show. I want Robin freed and written off. That's pretty much where the saga ends for me.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
And I do realize TG/GF, etc. were on much longer.

I remember when GF was delaying and delaying and delaying her return in 1998, there was talk of ABC re-casting the role. I remember Jensen Buchanan's (yes, she was on AW at the time) and Jessica Tuck's names being bandied about. 

I don't know how serious ABC was. Maybe they were trying to force Genie's hand.

We're just not gonna agree, lol. I wasn't really trying to debate about this, in the first place. We all have different wants on the show. I want Robin freed and written off. That's pretty much where the saga ends for me.

Fair enough.  Kumbaya and all that!  :-)

But for every Tony Geary, there's a Jonathan Jackson. And hey, even Anna had a recast, albeit hideous. And I do realize TG/GF, etc. were on much longer. I'm just saying, recasting does happen if TPTB decide they want a character around but the actor doesn't want to return. And there's nothing saying if KMc does want to return, she can't get the role back. Sure, it isn't fair, but ask Sabine Singh, who took over as Greenlee from Rebecca Budig, Coltin Scott who took over for Tyler Christopher, and Robert Kelker-Kelly who took over the role of Bo Brady from Peter Reckell on Days. That's show biz.

I still think TPTB missed a major opportunity by not bringing back JJ and keeping Greg Vaughan at the same time. Someone floated the idea years ago that they should have had JJ come back as the real Lucky who had been prisoner for years and GV as some imposter Helena created. It would undo the years of stupid storylines and decisions GV!Lucky had made, keep steadfast GV employed, and make JJ's Lucky the one who was devoted to Elizabeth, undoing the mess they had made of LnL2. It would be huge for all the major players, and the fallout would be years' worth of storylines. And it would have given them mad press and acclaim, had it been done right.

So of course TPTB never considered it.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4

Yeah, at this point I care more about salvaging the actual characters than holding the role open for KMc to come back for short, unsatisfying stints. I wish KMc every success and it would be nice if it would work out with her schedule. But it apparently doesn't.

Robin's offscreen captivity forever is ruining characters onscreen, adding another layer of ickiness onto already bad and tone-deaf stories ... and it needs to be ended -- with a recast if necessary.

A temp recast to fix the mess they've created ... with later occasional visits to town from a happy Robin played by KMc, could work.

Personally, I don't think they have tried too hard to bring KMc in to finish the story. They can film 3-4 episodes per day with the block taping. They would only need her for one day. Per social media, I've seen her hang out with the actresses who played Kelly and Lainey, bike with friwnds, sit by the pool, sit by the beach, window ahop, hike by herself. Hike with her dog, etc. These asshats could get her for a freaking day. Also, as proven by wonderful posters here. Robin wouldn't even be needed to free her from being a prisoner and wrap the story up.

They couldn't do it before the Jason reveal anyway.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 3

I still think TPTB missed a major opportunity by not bringing back JJ and keeping Greg Vaughan at the same time. Someone floated the idea years ago that they should have had JJ come back as the real Lucky who had been prisoner for years and GV as some imposter Helena created. It would undo the years of stupid storylines and decisions GV!Lucky had made, keep steadfast GV employed, and make JJ's Lucky the one who was devoted to Elizabeth, undoing the mess they had made of LnL2. It would be huge for all the major players, and the fallout would be years' worth of storylines. And it would have given them mad press and acclaim, had it been done right.

So of course TPTB never considered it.

Days did that all the way back in 1991 when Wayne Northrop reclaimed the role of Roman Brady. Drake Hogestyn (while still no Olivier then, but he had charisma and was popular) had his character turn into a brainwashed John Black who has had a billion "real identities" since, depending on whatever regime was there.

Yeah, it's not like Kimberly wrote this endless story. This is a hole Frank and Ron willingly dug for themselves repeatedly over several years. I think her long, unbroken run in the role should not be compromised by their choices.

• Love 11

Days did that all the way back in 1991 when Wayne Northrop reclaimed the role of Roman Brady. Drake Hogestyn (while still no Olivier then, but he had charisma and was popular) had his character turn into a brainwashed John Black who has had a billion "real identities" since, depending on whatever regime was there.

Intriguing. Was it accepted by the fans? What did soap media think?

Edit: Sorry I'm off topic!

Edited by EarlGreyTea

Intriguing. Was it accepted by the fans? What did soap media think?

Edit: Sorry I'm off topic!

I'll just answer this and be done. I think it was accepted enough since both men remained, although Northrop left once more at his choice and another actor is now Roman (who played a different Days character in the '80s, but hey!).

But at the time WN came back, DH's Roman was involved in a popular romance with Isabella Toscano, so that helped him, I think.

• Love 2

If JT laves, I think his role should be recast.  GH can't afford to lose any more doctor characters.

I see your point, but it also seems like a waste to have a doc on just to say there is one, especially if all they exist to do is kiss Sonny's ass. Maybe it's for the best to show the emperor really does have no clothes.

The lack of new blood and the constant recycling of people who have failed repeatedly elsewhere in this genre is just baffling to me.

Me too. Sure, soap writing isn't the best gig, but writers are willing to write FOR NOTHING just to get exposure these days. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested. New blood is very needed in the soap opera industry, but the people running that industry just aren't interested in it. They're letting the shows age along with themselves.

• Love 3

No wonder all the stories are so incoherent.

For a ton of reasons, Luke and Laura are sui generis. Using them as an example of a couple that overcomes a violent past is such a gross simplification. STFU, Tyler Christopher. Look a little harder at the history of the soap you're on.

Tracy didn't let Edward die—he refused the antidote for the water thing and insisted it be given to someone else. Emma, maybe, or one of the other kids?

Comparing past crimes to what's happening now is apples and oranges, IMO, given that social context changes as well as the tone of the show. 

I think Francie meant when Edward faked a heart attack in 1979, and Tracy refused to give him his medication unless he signed the copy of the will she had for him.

And yes, Emma got the cure from Edward in 2012.

I remember when GF was delaying and delaying and delaying her return in 1998, there was talk of ABC re-casting the role. I remember Jensen Buchanan's (yes, she was on AW at the time) and Jessica Tuck's names being bandied about. 

I don't know how serious ABC was. Maybe they were trying to force Genie's hand.

Didn't GH basically have to threaten to file a lawsuit to get Genie to return that time?

Edited by UYI

I think he was largely considered the weak link when he and Lorraine Broderick co-wrote OLTL together when Tomlin was EP.

Fun story, though: He was actually one of the two writers to create the character of Liz in 1997 (the other was Janet Iacobuzio). They were the HWs between Richard Culliton and Guza's first return. So, Liez haters? NOW you know who to blame! :P

Lol. I wouldn't be surprised if JT left. All he does is play the guitar, make weird faces, and have sex with Sam. As long as Patrick doesn't die or go to prison, I'm good. At this point, I don't care what happens though, as long as I don't have to hear anymore guitar playing. I can't deal with it.

• Love 1
Someone floated the idea years ago that they should have had JJ come back as the real Lucky who had been prisoner for years and GV as some imposter Helena created.

These kinds of stories never work for me. Ron's precious TwoTodds story was terrible, IMO, and it's currently not working with Franco. (Admittedly, a slightly different situation, but still has some of the same "it wasn't me, it was him!" involved.)

And I hate that it's always women who are being duped. Yeah, yeah, the dudes are victims because they don't know who they are. But for some reason they still seem to have the advantage.

I think Francie meant when Edward faked a heart attack in 1979, and Tracy refused to give him his medication unless he signed the copy of the will she had for him.

I thought that was probably the case. With that instance, though, Edward was faking in the first place. He didn't exactly have the high ground. 

• Love 3

These kinds of stories never work for me. Ron's precious TwoTodds story was terrible, IMO, and it's currently not working with Franco. (Admittedly, a slightly different situation, but still has some of the same "it wasn't me, it was him!" involved.)

And I hate that it's always women who are being duped. Yeah, yeah, the dudes are victims because they don't know who they are. But for some reason they still seem to have the advantage.

I thought that was probably the case. With that instance, though, Edward was faking in the first place. He didn't exactly have the high ground. 

Yeah, as much as I hated some some of the stuff GV's Lucky did, I was never thought they should do a two Luckys story, mostly because then they would have to deal with the fallout of him being a prisoner for 10 freakin' years, and they would never do that properly. Plus I wouldn't want to see "can't get around in society" Lucky.

• Love 1

I think if you wanted to walk back some of Lucky's behavior the last few years, it'd be easier to say that Helena reactivated his brainwashing or something.

Which Ron was very clearly playing with when Lucky came back this last time. While JJ and TG rewrote all the dialogue and made those scenes very good, IMO it was evident that the vague "darkness" he couldn't control and kept going on about was clearly meant to lead back into some eventual reveal that Helena still has her hooks in Lucky, which RC had no doubt scheduled for, uh, 2018.

It's just an example of what he could've done if he and Frank hadn't dismissed all the writers who actually know the fabric of modern GH, to say nothing of letting scenes run longer than 50 seconds (and not letting cliffhangered stories run for 3 years).

• Love 6

Me too. Sure, soap writing isn't the best gig, but writers are willing to write FOR NOTHING just to get exposure these days. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested. New blood is very needed in the soap opera industry, but the people running that industry just aren't interested in it. They're letting the shows age along with themselves.

Exactly! I live in L.A.; there are enough out-of-work screenwriters here to populate a small country. Daytime writing is grueling and not the most glamourous; but I am quite sure there are talented people who would be willing to do it and commit to it. 

And, you're right, the shows are stuck in 80s and 90s storylines (actually tbh I don't think we're getting storylines as good as the 90s right now) because the writer and producers are. The writing, the storylines, the composition of the cast are all extremely dated. There's a reason these mythical younger viewers they're always trying to capture aren't watching, and why they are watching shows like Scandal.

• Love 4

Patrick plays the guitar??

the other day, he busted out some guitar and was singing a song. I was too busy cringing to listen to what explanation they gave for his new musical inclinations.

• Love 2

I think there was a casting call that went out a while ago for a recast Joss:

Laura Wright ‏@lldubs  2m2 minutes ago
Laura Wright Retweeted Linda
The amazing actress who plays Joss is a very busy girl.  Keep watching. You'll be very happy !! #FallinLoveWithGH

Ugh, she's using that ridiculous hashtag.

• Love 1

the other day, he busted out some guitar and was singing a song. I was too busy cringing to listen to what explanation they gave for his new musical inclinations.

There was no explanation. The audience is just supposed to believe he's now a musician.

• Love 1

He sang with Emma at the NB, so it's not entirely out of left field. Also, his father's doppelgänger is Eli Love. Works for me!

(This in no way means I want to hear cast members sing, NB or elsewhere. Though I kind of miss karaoke night.)

• Love 3

He sang with Emma at the NB, so it's not entirely out of left field. Also, his father's doppelgänger is Eli Love. Works for me!

(This in no way means I want to hear cast members sing, NB or elsewhere. Though I kind of miss karaoke night.)

I think singing out of nowhere is a lot different though than playing the guitar well out of nowhere. There are plenty of people with decent voices who don't sing often. Playing the guitar well out of nowhere, not so much. If someone knows the guitar you'd likely hear them playing it or talking about it. Plus like you said, we heard Patrick on karaoke night.

• Love 2

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/10/ratings-bad-week-for-yrghbb

Ratings went down for the St Sonny show? No!

ETA: but then, all the soaps went down so they still probably won't think it's a problem

Just cancel this show and let it end with some dignity here.

Cancel or make the last few years someone's nightmare and do a reset ...

The schadenfreude is strong in me where this show is concerned, at this point. So ... Ha ha!

• Love 1

If only the low ratings actually meant something. Show is the same, story is the same, writers are doing the same. Sorry, Ron. They fired you for no reason.

Nah, Ron richly deserved his firing. I don't envy the new writers trying to fix this mess ... if indeed they do try to fix it - time will tell.

• Love 4

Nah, Ron richly deserved his firing. I don't envy the new writers trying to fix this mess ... if indeed they do try to fix it - time will tell.

The new writers aren't fixing a thing based on the interviews. They've already said what their plans are.

You mean the East Coast? He was in D.C., NYC, and Philly. I'm in NYC, and we got the show.

No, I meant the west coast. I know NYC got the show, but I was thinking maybe something was pre-empted because of him during the west coast airings.

No, I meant the west coast. I know NYC got the show, but I was thinking maybe something was pre-empted because of him during the west coast airings.

Here in L.A., a couple of times during his visit we had 15 or 20-minute chunks preempted in the middle of the show depending on what he was doing at the time, but never a full preemption.

• Love 1

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/10/ratings-bad-week-for-yrghbb

Ratings went down for the St Sonny show? No!

ETA: but then, all the soaps went down so they still probably won't think it's a problem

Just cancel this show and let it end with some dignity here.

I love how the ratings decreased everyday last week. Almost like additional people tuned out each day.

Wish it meant they would make changes other than coming up with stupid hash tags like #FallinLoveWithGH

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 3

I love how the ratings decreased everyday last week. Almost like additional people tuned out each day.

I just can't figure out why.  I mean, who wouldn't want to watch the son of the man Sonny murdered apologize to him for being mad that he murdered his father?  Followed up by all the lovely Corinthii coming together in that heartwarming scene where they plotted how to keep the third child Sonny and Carly stole from a loving parent away from said loving parent?  It's Must-Watch Tv, right there... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I'm sorry, I can't keep a straight face saying this stuff, even sarcastically.

• Love 8