Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I miss Serial Drama. I would really love to know if Mallory watched Robin and Patrick's wedding and the whole rushed storyline. Because I remember the AWESOME screencaps she gave me us when Robert found Robin at Wyndemere.  The most recent thing is from November 15.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

When is Jason's first Y&R air date?

Yup. I'm also pretty sure that Marty's exit - and the ridiculous role they wanted Patrick to play in it - was written and filmed before the show's cancellation.

Omg! Kyle and Fish!!!!!!

Kyle Lewis was such an awesome character, and I loved his whole relationship with Fish. I'm still pissed they axed the blacks and the gays when it was Rex & Gigi that were ruining the show.

Yeah, IIRC he was friendly with TSJ, but given some of the details Jeff Giles shared online about Susan Haskell's exit that didn't end up in his book ("She gathered everybody around and gave a big speech about how she had never been treated so poorly in her life") I suspect it was more about how his wife had been treated.

Interesting. And was under the impression that TKa balked because Uncle Frank wanted him only for a 30 second non-speaking cameo. Edited by Tiger
  • Love 5

Damn. I do not understand their attitudes towards soap actors. More than any other medium, soaps allow an actor to build up fan loyalty - I do not understand this obnoxious attitude that insists that they are disposable/easily replaceable

... unless their name is Tony Geary or Maurice Benard.

• Love 1
Damn. I do not understand their attitudes towards soap actors. More than any other medium, soaps allow an actor to build up fan loyalty - I do not understand this obnoxious attitude that insists that they are disposable/easily replaceable

True, but unless one is a big soap name a la Lucci or Geary, it is exactly because these actors can and have been replaced as in, at the very least, recast in many situations whereas in prime time (save for Bewitched and the interchangeable Beckys on Roseanne), such a practice seems to be much less frequent.

So maybe that's why, fair or not.

To me the problem has always been that TIIC, writers and producers see soaps as TV Shows, where the truth is they are much closer to stage plays. Yes, some actors can be interchanged and replaced pretty easily (i.e. Kiki, and Kristina on GH, and any chorus Gypsy  on Stage) some can be replaced but you kind of always miss the iconic player (Lucky and AJ on GH or say Bernadette Peters in the Original Cast of Into the Woods) and others just cannot be played by any one else (Sonny and Luke or on Stage Yul Brenner as the King, though here they keep trying for unknown reasons) but weather replaceable or not there needs to be an acceptance that the actor is collaborating on the role, they are bringing something to it. JJ's Lucky was very different than GV's but each added a layer to an important character. And even though I am convinced that Guza was intentionally destroying Lucky to build up Jason, GV, not the world's best actor by any means, still managed to give Lucky a layer of sweetness that JJ's did not have, which is odd since GV was the bigger more imposing guy. Soap actors bring something to the character. that is not always so at night. By the time he passed Larry Hagman was JR, but if you watch him as Tony Nelson on I Dream of Jeannie that is an entirely different guy. So was Hagman JR? Or did he become JR as JR was written and fleshed out?

When soaps are at the best they allow the actor to shape at least part of the character while keeping him in check. 90's Luke, though TG now hates him, is the best example. The writers knew that what was best for show and character was to ground Luke in Laura and Lucky, Geary wanted a different route. Somewhere they meet in the middle, the "family man" who ran a Blues Club and whose friends were mobsters, the "Good Dad" who pierced his son's ear with a knife while on a camping trip with a Strip Club owner (MB's best time as Sonny as well BTW) .

Guza made the mistake of allowing SB, MB and TG too much control over there character and the threesome, along with Carly became  not watchable. It seems the opposite goes on now. RH is far to good a soap actor to really want to play this Franco shit. I would suspect he would love a scene where he goes home takes out a book and goes though page after page of his serial killer victims, we can wait weeks to find out if he does this to gloat or does it in tears as he punishes himself. Either way it does not matter what matters is that the writers allow a good actor to develop something in the character  A Becky scene where Liz is on the phone talking ranting as it builds to her father, blaming him for not being there, saying that he is responsible for all her bad choices in men, and ending with her screaming "I was raped and you never even came to see me" and she holds the phone out we hear the dial tone...Jeff was never even on the line. Would say more about the character of Liz then we have learned in 20 years. Let the actors skill build the character.

But alas writers egos are bigger than actors and so..we have this wreck

Edited by Fylaki
  • Love 8

I don't care if I'm right or wrong. I'm going to credit the Scorpios for the bump in GH's ratings for the week of New Years.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2016/01/47057

Hmmm . . . Every time The Scorpios or Scorpio-related story has been front and center, ratings rise dramatically. Everything from Felicia getting the cliffhanger to Jason seeing figmint!Robin to R&A reuniting with Robin has sent the ratings high.

I can't wait to see the ratings for the currently airing week and subsequent weeks. With Scrubs gone, I think ratings are going to crater.

• Love 5

I really hope that Sonny possibly arising from his chair to reek havoc at a two legged stance isn't given any credit. Nor Morgan's "Dude, Where's My Pills?" with the refrain of "Have You Taken Your Pills?" and the "My Pills Are Ruining My Life" remix. It's also not Night of The Zombie Children featuring Boring, Crazy Eyes, Hey You, Blah, and Clenchy Jaw.

At this point, Steven Avery is a more sympathetic lead male than any male on this show. Ya know? Yeah.

• Love 1

Storywise, the show is a huge mess, hence all the recycling in that promo.

There is no "story" on this show at the moment. There's no set up. No conflict leading to an ultimate confrontation in the works. No identification of an issue to be resolved.  No communication to the viewer at all about what we should we focusing on or caring about.  The state of the show has no storyline structure guideposts.

It's nothing more than a meandering mess right now.

• Love 8

I spoiled myself and watched scenes of JT as Billy and he's already 100% better on that show. GH wasted him. It's a shame.

I mean, I don't even think GH meant to waste him. They just made everything as inconducive to a good performance as possible.

• Love 4

I mean, I don't even think GH meant to waste him. They just made everything as inconducive to a good performance as possible.

I mean...they may not have intentionally meant to...but they clearly didn't see him as a lead or someone who could carry a story. They were focused on MB, LW, KeMo, BH, BM/SBu, BC, CD, I could go on....

• Love 1

Wow, Y&R sucks too.

It really does. I mean honestly it doesn't seem any better than GH to me, but then I have tried numerous times to get into Y&R and I've never been able to so maybe it's just not my thing. 

But imo nothing about it was really any better than GH. And I think it's actually more boring, which doesn't even seem possible!

Days is also really bad but imo it's the most entertaining of the 3. Well, based on the few times I've watched it in the past year.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

It really does. I mean honestly it doesn't seem any better than GH to me, but then I have tried numerous times to get into Y&R and I've never been able to so maybe it's just not my thing. 

But imo nothing about it was really any better than GH. And I think it's actually more boring, which doesn't even seem possible!

Days is also really bad but imo it's the most entertaining of the 3. Well, based on the few times I've watched it in the past year.

I think Y&R is just "boring" to people who are primarily GH viewers because I've tried several times over the years to get into Y&R and I just couldn't.

• Love 1

I feel like I'm going to get into trouble for this, but here's my UO for today:

Whenever I hear people talking about how there aren't any doctors on contract anymore/doctors getting stories anymore, part of it feels somewhat...disingenuous to me, because the last time the hospital was the sole focus of the show was probably in the mid 70's, right before Gloria Monty arrived (so, I guess, 1977). I guess there have been times since where doctors have had more prominence on the show (the Labine era, the beginning of Scrubs), but it just feels like the hospital has taken a backseat to so many other things on the show for so long--dating back to before it was even a cultural phenomenon from 1979-1981--that hearing this, even if it means just giving doctors on the show story outside of the hospital, feels somewhat strange for me. I remember people in 2000 or 2001, when I first started looking online for soap stuff, asking what had happened to the hospital, and I can only imagine what older viewers thought when L&L had their sci-fi stuff going on, nno matter how big that was.

It feels REALLY good to let this out. I'll probably have to go into hiding for awhile now. ;)

But General Hospital has always been the epicenter of sorts, even when the show focused on other things and doctors have been introduced as dynamic and interesting characters. Steve Hardy (who would have been horrified by Liz's behavior and would have dressed her down) was considered the bedrock of GH until the day he died. Doctors have always had some sort of role to play and could be treated as dynamics characters in their own right. I don't see why hospital stories can't be rotated into prominence a few times a year, focusing on the doctors and not the patients, which usually are Sonny and his various members. St.Elsewhere, Grey's Anatomy and ER (and even General Hospital Night Shift) showed compelling dramas could take place inside of the hospital. Hospital stories every story would be a terrible idea, but the opposite is proving equally (or more) as horrible. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4

Wow Sobby was a Disney Princess...

Teresa Castillo

January 10 at 5:24pm ·

Happy closing to the cast and crew of Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular! This show will… https://t.co/Yfq34eT84f

INSTAGRAM.COM/P/BAYVTMHO1BR/

Ha, for all our joking about Sabrina being a Disney princess, TC literally played one. 

From that write up of Robin and Patrick:

May you both get better haircuts in Berkeley

I;ve spent some good amount of time in Berkeley. There's no chance of that happening.

• Love 5

JT was great on YR. GH was stupid to waste him and let him go.

I think GH was stupid to not only make Patrick wallpaper on this show, but to make him Mr. "I Deserve to be Happy" Perfecty Perfect. That's boring for any actor to play. And it doesn't surprise me that JT said "See ya" at the first chance of playing a character with problems and flaws.

• Love 3

Wow, Y&R sucks too.

Yup.  Chuck Pratt really did a hatchet job on that show.  Not that it was all that great before he came along, but still.

May you both get better haircuts in Berkeley

LMAO!

Meanwhile, back on the home front, the General Hospital full time staff is now down to two serial killers, Elizabeth, and a handful of day players who get trotted out of the African-American/Gay closet once every two months if we’re lucky

How sad and pathetic is that?

Edited by Evolution101
  • Love 1

After what Frank did at OLTL, I imagine Nate-dog coming into Uncle Frank's office, telling Frank that Vicki wants to know what's up with the ratings, Frank saying "its the blacks and the gays" and Nate-dog saying "obviously" in all seriousness.

I think Y&R is just "boring" to people who are primarily GH viewers because I've tried several times over the years to get into Y&R and I just couldn't.

I think there's a difference between a show being actively "bad" versus being generally "boring". Every time in the past I've tried to get into Y&R, I found it extremely boring. At least the past three steps of Y&R I've found actively bad.

As i said in my previous post, its basically GH but with an actual production budget.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 3

My grandma watched Y&R in the 70s and I HATED the theme song as a kid. Like I had nightmares about it and even now, 40 years later, I still cringe when I hear it. 

I wanted to run out of the theater when I saw Mr. Mom because it was so heavily featured in that movie. Haha.

• Love 1

Heh. One of my first grade teachers watched Young & The Restless during her lunch break, every day! So I kind of knew who the characters were. Then, when I was in the 8th grade, my best friend, well, my new best friend, or new good friend, actually, was a CBS soaps watcher, so I added all the CBS soaps to my viewing schedule. I've always been an ABC soap watcher...and then later, from my cuz, who is a guy, got into the NBC soaps, starting with Days. But ultimately, I stayed with ABC and this soap, such as it is, before it broke me with AJ's murder.

Hmmm...mebbe this should be in the Small Talk thread instead.

• Love 1

My grandma watched Y&R in the 70s and I HATED the theme song as a kid. Like I had nightmares about it and even now, 40 years later, I still cringe when I hear it.

I wanted to run out of the theater when I saw Mr. Mom because it was so heavily featured in that movie. Haha.

Haha. I love their theme song. I always thought it was the best in daytime.

• Love 2