Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: New School, Old Artist

• Start Topic

That was like my team winning on a last second three pointer. Fuck, yeah!

I hate the whole alliance thing that has taken over this show, but I hate Meghan Jean mooning over Cleen even more.

So funny to hear Loser Marq call out Alex for failing on this challenge, considering that *he* should have gone home week one, when he got to actually design the challenge.

• Love 5

I'm so happy St. Marq got the royal boot. I don't know why he was invited him back to the show. He didn't even fake his way to mediocrity in Season 6 since he not only failed to make it to the halfway point of the season, but he NEVER won an Elimination Tattoo in all of his Ink Master appearances. If he is considered one of the best, then the bar is really low for being an Ink Master.

I'm also glad that he's gone because Alex will finally be able to shut up about him and stop feeling the need to try to act tough. The whole tough guy persona is less than convincing when one looks like a younger and skinnier Rick Moranis. Alex trying to stare down Marq last episode was even funnier when Sausage of all people sarcastically said "Yeah yeah, you're tough. We get it."

That was like my team winning on a last second three pointer. Fuck, yeah!

I hate the whole alliance thing that has taken over this show, but I hate Meghan Jean mooning over Cleen even more.

So funny to hear Loser Marq call out Alex for failing on this challenge, considering that *he* should have gone home week one, when he got to actually design the challenge.

You hit the nail on the head. St. Marq should've been laughed out the building in week one, especially since he was called down by the Canvas Jury on HIS challenge.

The chemistry  between Meghan Jean and Cleen came from nowhere. Just because Marisa and Tyler from Season 6 started dating for real after they met on Ink Master doesn't mean they need to use the "romance" angle again.

Edited by MuMuGuy
  • Love 4

Sausage annoys me more than St Doughboy ever did. The nerd in glasses verses St Doughboy as they both tried to act tuff was at least amusing. Sausage just freaking whines so much, I just can't. Then as soon as he gets a skull pick he vows to screw everyone, well jeez. Isn't that what the others were doing? So he is justified but no one else? What a fucking baby. I thought Cleen's new school was much better. Sorry Jime didn't do better.

• Love 1

If he is considered one of the best, then the bar is really low for being an Ink Master.

He's one of the best according to St Marq.  Asking around, it seems St Marq is not considered a tattoo god anywhere other than his own mind.  He has a reputation for being... fine.  He's probably not going to screw up your skin and you'll probably like his work, but he's nothing all that special in the grand scheme of things.  I'm glad he's gone, but really, Alex should have gone - that pregnant dinosaur was hard to look at.  

This challenge was supposed to be about "color theory" when it reality it was about use of color.  How much color you can pack into a tattoo is not color theory.  Color theory is using the color wheel to successfully create a piece using opposite and complimentary colors.  Anthony, Christian, Cleen, Matti, Megan Jean, and Sausage actually used true color theory in their pieces, but I really don't feel like the pieces were judged on theory, just how much color was packed.  

Then as soon as he gets a skull pick he vows to screw everyone, well jeez. Isn't that what the others were doing? So he is justified but no one else?

When he gets a tough skull pick, it's bullying.  Come on, dontcha know what a special snowflake Sausage is?

Edited by AlliePK
  • Love 3

I'm so happy St. Marq got the royal boot. I don't know why he was invited him back to the show. He didn't even fake his way to mediocrity in Season 6 since he not only failed to make it to the halfway point of the season, but he NEVER won an Elimination Tattoo in all of his Ink Master appearances. If he is considered one of the best, then the bar is really low for being an Ink Master.

Step 1: Have a dick.

Step 2: Be a dick.

Voila, you're an Ink Master.

There were two talented female artists in St. Marq's season that made it much farther than he did: Katie and Duffy. I'm shocked (not at all shocked) that he was asked back over them.

I know Cleen is a good artist, but his personality is just such a turnoff that I find myself rooting against him by default. Matti is a nonentity; I remember his hair and that's it. Sausage maybe deserved to be asked back given his placement in his season. But Jime is the first one I've felt wholeheartedly deserves another shot (as do James Vaughn and Sarah, but Jesse falls into the Matti/nonentity box for me). I'd have liked to have seen Halo (S4) or Jamie from Sarah and Jesse's season get another shot, too. Especially Jamie, as he was eliminated solely based on the guest judge's negativity about Jamie himself not having any tattoos.

Re. the current episode: it feels like the judges have their usual sexist bias. Megan's was a lot of blue, but there were several others worse than hers, and she certainly didn't have the worst tattoo last week. I wish they finally could come to grips that women can be decent tattooers too.

• Love 10

When he gets a tough skull pick, it's bullying.  Come on, dontcha know what a special snowflake Sausage is?

I missed Sausage's season, so maybe I'm out of line. But I think the word "bullying" has lost all meaning these days, and people like Sausage are the reason why. 

Someone physically or emotionally threatening/torturing a teenager who can't defend themselves or escape the situation? Bullying. Someone being mean to you on an internet forum or a competitive reality show? Find a different fucking term.

• Love 5

The whole tough guy persona is less than convincing when one looks like a younger and skinnier Rick Moranis.

I was thinking younger Andy Dick, but this works too!

Good gravy, I'm glad St. Douche is gone. The rest of the field bug, but he is the absolute worst, and stirs everyone else up even more. And like everyone has already said, he is mediocre at best at what he does. I have yet to be impressed by any of his pieces.

Jime totally nailed Sausage in one sentence--the little kid that pokes the bear and runs and tells when he gets bit. That is DEAD ON. I liked Sausage at first in his season, but the whining... the WHINING. Make it stop already!

• Love 3
Jamie from Sarah and Jesse's season get another shot, too. Especially Jamie, as he was eliminated solely based on the guest judge's negativity about Jamie himself not having any tattoos.

I totally agree! I'm surprised Jamie hasn't been back. He did excellent work during his season. Then that one guest judge kept harping on Jamie not having any tattoos. Like all of Jamie's accomplishments were nothing because he wasn't covered in ink. Poof Jamie was eliminated. That was BS. They have that "epic fail" St Marq back but not Jamie? BS.

And just because it feels so good to say again... St Marq the bitch is GONE!

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Love 1

Jamie might not have been invited back because there was a minor controversy of him copying another artist work while on the show. Her name was Kristel Oreto, I;d link her video about it but it is no longer available.

Especially Jamie, as he was eliminated solely based on the guest judge's negativity about Jamie himself not having any tattoos.

I've never understood that logic.  That's like saying a man can't be an OBGYN because he doesn't have a vagina.  Please.  

Ding dong, the douche is gone!  Yes!  

I'm thrilled Anthony made it safely through.  I am rooting for him.  His work is good, he's not a shit stirrer and he listens to his client.  

I'll admit I'm not a fan of Christian's face tattoos but his work is solid as well. 

Looks like Megan's "friendship" with Cleen may sink her next week.  It will be interesting to see Sarah return.

• Love 3

Ding dong, the douche is gone! 

I shit you not, that was my EXACT thought when he was eliminated. Those exact words.

I can finally enjoy the rest of the season. Anyone who wins out of who is left I can live with.

And what the hell is with the hate boner Nunez has for Megan? I personally don't think she even deserved to be in the bottom three, let alone actually be told she has the worst tattoo of the day.

• Love 6

YES!! The long, National nightmare is over- again! St. Marc, the self-professed "tattoo 'God'" has gone to tattoo Hell and not a moment too soon. In short, it was a shitty tat with shitty colors drawn by a shitty human being, whose delusions of grandeur turned out to be-well, you know.

• Love 4

Nunez getting his hate on for Meghan Jean is just gross. Seriously can't stand the guy, but that's not new.

I am sure the "Tattoo God" will be on all the spin-offs. Like Sarah, I think he probably has his life wrapped up in this show, and they are obsessed with him.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 5

I shit you not, that was my EXACT thought when he was eliminated. Those exact words.

I can finally enjoy the rest of the season. Anyone who wins out of who is left I can live with.

And what the hell is with the hate boner Nunez has for Megan? I personally don't think she even deserved to be in the bottom three, let alone actually be told she has the worst tattoo of the day.

Great minds!

Nunez seems to have a hate boner for one inktestant each season.  He's a grouchy bitch sometimes.

• Love 4

The judges are obviously sexist assholes. Hence the lawsuit after specifically asking for a female PA and then sexually harassing her. Maybe they should relocate to Saudi Arabia so they don't have to waste any more of their precious time pretending to be objective. 

• Love 4

Sausage annoys me more than St Doughboy ever did. The nerd in glasses verses St Doughboy as they both tried to act tuff was at least amusing. Sausage just freaking whines so much, I just can't. Then as soon as he gets a skull pick he vows to screw everyone, well jeez. Isn't that what the others were doing? So he is justified but no one else? What a fucking baby. I thought Cleen's new school was much better. Sorry Jime didn't do better.

What I hated most about his whining was him bulldozing over Meghan Jean, both in the challenge and the skull picks. If anyone treated or talked about him that way, it would be "bullying".

• Love 2

Yep.  Nunez has a hard on for Meghan Jean--and I can't decide which definition of that applies.

She tackled a more difficult perspective, looking down on her character, while everyone else stuck to basic eye-level portraiture.  No judicial props for that.  Sorry, MJ, sucks to be you.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

The way Nunez acts towards Megan Jean, and the generally low opinion I have of him, combine to make me suspect she rejected an (off-screen) advance of his, and he's making her pay for it now.  She is, IMO, one of the most talented artists of this season and doesn't deserve the crap that Nunez keeps throwing at her.

But then, this show long ago ceased to be about talent and started being about the judges' outsize egos and their love of ridiculous dick-wagging fiestas.  This is a really great crop of contestants this year.  Almost all of them deserve much better than this ridiculous format and these judges.

Edited by Rancide
  • Love 5

Yeah, I remember Megan is so undeserving of the hate coming her way from Nunez, you can not help but wonder if he has a thing for her.  Someone on this board talked about how she was unfairly put in the bottom for the Venetian mask by Nunez "as dipping her pigtails in the inkwell".

It was an hilarious observation, but it might be true.  It's like if a little kid likes a girl he treats her badly, sometimes it is because he does not know how to handle his feelings.

This still makes Nunez an ass.  It's disappointing, because he seemed so supportive of Duffy (who I really liked) last season.

• Love 3

This angers me so much and is why I really do not like, nor ever have liked, Nunez.  Megan Jean has not yet truly belonged in the bottom.

• Love 1

The way Nunez acts towards Megan Jean, and the generally low opinion I have of him, combine to make me suspect she rejected an (off-screen) advance of his, and he's making her pay for it now.  She is, IMO, one of the most talented artists of this season and doesn't deserve the crap that Nunez keeps throwing at her.

I don't think it was her that he made a pass at. Megan Jean is stealing time with Nunez's true love. Cleen. It's some high school jealousy right there.

• Love 4

Yeah, I remember Megan is so undeserving of the hate coming her way from Nunez, you can not help but wonder if he has a thing for her.  Someone on this board talked about how she was unfairly put in the bottom for the Venetian mask by Nunez "as dipping her pigtails in the inkwell".

It was an hilarious observation, but it might be true.  It's like if a little kid likes a girl he treats her badly, sometimes it is because he does not know how to handle his feelings.

This still makes Nunez an ass.  It's disappointing, because he seemed so supportive of Duffy (who I really liked) last season.

Right.  One time was just another blip in this show's long history of bad decisions.  Twice in a row suggests an issue.

Seems possible he's attracted to her and overcompensating, but maybe it's related to her thing with Cleen Rock One.  In some way.  (I can't believe I had to type that name.) 

No need for Nunez to go sliding off the rails with Oliver Peck sitting right there, handy.

Edited by candall
  • Love 3

Megan Jean is stealing time with Nunez's true love. Cleen. It's some high school jealousy right there.

Kindergarten is more like it.

If Nunez's hate/hard on for Megan Jean was any older, it would be on Medicare.

(edited)

Chris Nunez has always been a tool that singled out a particular competitor. He repeatedly singled out Kyle in his return season, even calling him out when he was safe in the Lounge. It's a shame that Nunez is a huge part of the Ink Master brand and Spike won't replace him. Nunez is definitely partial in his judgment, when judges are supposed to be impartial for the sake of fairness.

Tatu Baby basically rode the Chris Nunez train through Ink Master.

Edited by MuMuGuy
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm pretty sure we've learned in previous seasons that Nunez more often than not hates female artists, except... when he's overcompensating to try and prove he doesn't. But we've also learned he fixates on his targets and like a pit bull never lets go until he's savaged them to (metaphorical) death.

Megan Jean's art has been at least decent every time. The stuff Nunez has focused on smacks of someone TRYING to find an excuse to be that pit bull. She certainly wasn't the WORST this week--Nunuz trying to sell that is totally ridiculous. Heck, while I do think the perspective she drew the tattoo was indeed weird, it was clearly very well applied, so I'd question if she even belonged in the B3 at all.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)

Finally, I was so stressed out thinking they wouldn´t go through with sending Marq home. The judges must think it´s funny to talk him up like that, or I don´t understand why they´d let him think he´s that good. I really liked Megan Jean´s tattoo, I thought it was a really cute and bright dinosaure mum. So happy that Oliver seems to like her. He´s totally my favorite judge. Well, it will be a much nicer show anyway now that SM is gone. I don´t really see much competition for Cleen or Sausage, they are both insanely good, but Christopher, Sarah or Anthony could be a challenge to them.

Edited by halkatla

What did Megan Jean do to Nunez? It's pretty clear he hates whatever she does. I don't think her tattoos are that bad and it doesn't seem that the other judges have as much of a problem with her as he does.

Also have to agree that Sausage is being a whiny bitch and I am somebody that didn't mind him much his first season. That said, I still like a lot of his work and would probably let him tattoo me before most of the others.

• Love 3

My take from watching most of the seasons is that artists that Nunez knows already and that he considers a "good" tattoo artist, get preferential treatment over artists he doesn't know.

Several times, I have heard him say when voting "I refuse to vote for a good artist."  The best example was Cruiseman last season when Nunez saved him several times against other artists he didn't know much about.

So the vets this season come in with an advantage over artists like Megan-Jean which sux for her.

The judges admitted after eliminating St Marq that he was around to "stir the pot".  They called him out on it.

It will be interesting how Sarah does.  She is a much better artist now and she finished second on her season.  I hope she is more mature and can handle the games and pressure better.  

Clean is on fire right now.  I want Sarah to win, but he is tattooing very well.  Ready to she was she brings to the table.

Then 2 weaker vets still to join.  I think Anthony and the guy from Sausage's shop will be to 2 new ones to battle Clean, Sarah and Sausage in the top 5.  Megan-Jean probably goes out 6-7th.

I originally thought Clean, Sarah and Sausage in the final, but Anthony may claim a spot taking out Sausage.

I think this season was set up for Clean vs Sarah.  Clean has earned his way there, now let's see what Sarah does.

• Love 1
I'll admit I'm not a fan of Christian's face tattoos but his work is solid as well.

He also seems to have a logic and sense about him. He's definitely abrasive but I feel like he falls just short of real-deal douche-baggery. He's like a person who doesn't go out of his way with extraneous pleasantries, but also not with complete posturing nonsense either. 

• Love 1
Matti is a nonentity; I remember his hair and that's it.

I don't remember Matti being such an angry dude last time. Wasn't he more chill?

The way Nunez acts towards Megan Jean, and the generally low opinion I have of him, combine to make me suspect she rejected an (off-screen) advance of his, and he's making her pay for it now.

I was thinking the same thing.

Plus he couldn't have gotten his tongue any further up St Douche's arse if he tried. I couldn't believe his undisguised bias at MJ's tattoo. It wasn't a bad tattoo!!

Thank god Dave wasn't swayed by Nunez and sanity prevailed.

I don't think it was her that he made a pass at. Megan Jean is stealing time with Nunez's true love. Cleen. It's some high school jealousy right there.

Hahaha. You may be onto something there.

• Love 1