Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Booney said:

Add my late mom to the bad cook moms club. She did cook (thought didn't enjoy it), and her food wasn't terrible - just very bland and boring. I didn't taste food with herbs and spices in it (other than salt and pepper) until I lived away at college - that was like a whole new world of food for me! And it's not saying much that the college cafeteria's food tasted better than what I had at home.

My mother wasn't housewifey at all. Besides not liking to cook, she didn't love cleaning house, doing laundry, or other chores. She was a beautiful woman. In her younger days, she looked like Jean Harlow. She was born and raised in Norway, and came to the US in 1939 when she was 21, not knowing a word of English. She took night classes to learn English and eventually became a US citizen - I remember going with her to the state capitol when I was a little girl to watch her citizenship ceremony. She met my father in a vacuum cleaner factory that was converted to a war-time facility making airplane parts during WWII. She was always fascinated by Hollywood and its denizens. In another life, I could imagine her as a movie star. She passed almost 20 years ago - it's hard to believe that much time has gone by.

Wow Booney, what a great story about your mom.  I have always believed that if my mother had been born 30 years later, in my era, she may not have married, and I'm almost certain she wouldn't have had children.  The only thing that ever seemed to bring her satisfaction, was cleaning the house (my anti-cleaning is probably Freudian), and when we did well in school (boast-worthy things).  I picture her finishing college (money ran out after 2 years), moving to Europe, and doing something with academia.  Strange how I arrive at that, but it's always been the image in my head.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, imisspuddy said:

My Dearest Bronxoni -

You ARE enough! And you are doing everything you can for her.  

My eyes are tearing over and there is so much I want to say.  I am in the same boat with my mother at the moment.

Just know we all care about you and are sending much love and bear hugs. xo

Take care IMP.  We're all really the first generation of folks having to deal with this stuff...caring for and trying to do the best for our parents.  There are no manuals.  There are plenty of 'experts' writing books, and some of that advice is helpful, but for us, we've had to forge our own trail.  I consider this family caregiving of elder parents to be the most difficult thing I will probably ever have to do.  So much harder than raising children, imo, as these are grown humans who have lived a life, raised a family, taken care of a household, held jobs, made decisions, and on and on.  And now comes us kids, basically running their lives for them.  My father resented it terribly and my mother wants us to live her life for her, so she doesn't have to make decisions.  I'm honestly not sure which is worse.

Boy did I digress.  Sorry for the ink blot session.

(edited)
50 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Wow Booney, what a great story about your mom.  I have always believed that if my mother had been born 30 years later, in my era, she may not have married, and I'm almost certain she wouldn't have had children.  The only thing that ever seemed to bring her satisfaction, was cleaning the house (my anti-cleaning is probably Freudian), and when we did well in school (boast-worthy things).  I picture her finishing college (money ran out after 2 years), moving to Europe, and doing something with academia.  Strange how I arrive at that, but it's always been the image in my head.

SSE - this is so much like my mother, it's uncanny, except her thing was the laundry.  Never cleaned and as for cooking....OMG!!  Not hard to be skinny the way I grew up...my dad always called her "The Best Can Opener in the West" (sounds like a Don Knotts movie!) because that's about what she did.  My mother's dream was to travel and see the world.  She had applied for a position in Saudi Arabia in the '40s and had her heart set on going.  My grandmother stopped her by pretending to be sick...a repeating them in their relationship, sadly.  She was an obedient Italian daughter from a different generation.  In many ways, I feel sorry she never got to realize her dreams...

Just wondering if anyone has heard from OwnedbySetters?  Seems like a long time since I've "seen" her.

Does this sight have dumb merge like the other one?

Edited by imisspuddy
why, yes, I guess it does...
(edited)
7 minutes ago, imisspuddy said:

SSE - this is so much like my mother, it's uncanny, except her thing was the laundry.  Never cleaned and as for cooking....OMG!!  Not hard to be skinny the way I grew up...my dad always called her "The Best Can Opener in the West" (sounds like a Don Knotts movie!) because that's about what she did.  My mother's dream was to travel and see the world.  She had applied for a position in Saudi Arabia in the '40s and had her heart set on going.  My grandmother stopped her by pretending to be sick...a repeating them in their relationship, sadly.  She was an obedient Italian daughter from a different generation.  In many ways, I feel sorry she never got to realize her dreams...

Yes, I have these feelings as well, in between the feelings of regret that I never got that mom - the one like June Cleaver.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
20 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

There are several sources. The brand of the bra is Glamorise, style no. 1803, also listed as no. 15650. "Glamorise Complete Comfort Front Close Bra"

https://www.herroom.com/glamorise-1803-complete-comfort-front-close-bra.shtml This one is 80% nylon, 20% spandex. It's the one I have. I like nylon because it dries fast when you've gotten sweaty. $31.00

https://www.herroom.com/glamorise-1908-complete-comfort-cotton-t-back-bra.shtml Similar design except it has a T-back, style no. 1908, in 60% cotton, 30% spandex, 10% nylon. "Glamorise Complete Comfort Cotton T-Back Bra"  Sale $28.00

Google Shopping search shows this bra is also available from Shoes.com, J.C. Penney, Walmart, Evine, EssentialApparel.com, Kohl's, Brayola, and Lady Grace. Prices range from $28.00 to about $35.00.

Thanks very much for the detailed info.  I appreciate that you took the time.?

2 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

Just wondering if anyone has heard from OwnedbySetters?  Seems like a long time since I've "seen" her.

I was wondering about her too.... she seemed to really take the 'someone reporting that picture' she posted really hard. 

Please come back @OBS - we need you to check in. :-)

1 hour ago, Lord Donia said:

@SentimentalLady, you might wanna browse Amazon, too. I get mine there because of the free shipping.

Speaking of shopping, it might be time to look over some rings at QVC. I usually buy myself something pretty with a colored stone every year or two.

In a perfect world, my collection would include at least one sample of all the colored gemstones.  I love my pretty shiny sparkly things.  :-)

(edited)

Well, thanks to you ladies here, me who NEVER goes braless outside, went braless outside today.  Go figure.  You can probably imagine I don't have much up top to worry about flinging thisaway or thataway.  I just happened to never put one on this morning (a bra that is) because I had no errands to run and just went outside and did my thing.... plus I was wearing a looser top.   Nothing like the power of suggestion..... I think I could be hypnotized pretty easily too....   lol!!

Edited by Fishy

SuprSuprElevated, our sleep number bed was delivered today at 4:20 and it only took about 40 minutes to set up as opposed to the two hours they originally said it would take. Guess threatening to cancel our order got their attention after the 9:30pm delivery notice. Anyway, tonight is our first night. I've reminded hubs that we have to be patient and he's promised he will be. I'll keep you posted on our experience, if you want me to and thanks for all of your feedback!

4 hours ago, Booney said:

Add my late mom to the bad cook moms club. She did cook (thought didn't enjoy it), and her food wasn't terrible - just very bland and boring. I didn't taste food with herbs and spices in it (other than salt and pepper) until I lived away at college - that was like a whole new world of food for me! And it's not saying much that the college cafeteria's food tasted better than what I had at home.

My mother wasn't housewifey at all. Besides not liking to cook, she didn't love cleaning house, doing laundry, or other chores. She was a beautiful woman. In her younger days, she looked like Jean Harlow. She was born and raised in Norway, and came to the US in 1939 when she was 21, not knowing a word of English. She took night classes to learn English and eventually became a US citizen - I remember going with her to the state capitol when I was a little girl to watch her citizenship ceremony. She met my father in a vacuum cleaner factory that was converted to a war-time facility making airplane parts during WWII. She was always fascinated by Hollywood and its denizens. In another life, I could imagine her as a movie star. She passed almost 20 years ago - it's hard to believe that much time has gone by.

My mom was a German war bride and she excelled at many things. Her cooking was interesting, she was the queen of jazzing up prepared food. She would add a little of this and that, somehow it always tasted good. She was my best friend and I miss her every day. 

6 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Thank you so much, @imarocker  I'd like to think I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances but it still doesn't seem like "enough" since I'm always very hard on myself.

I know exactly what you mean!  I also know you are a wonderful daughter!  

I'm so glad your mom was better today  

(edited)

Since they tell us nothing on the internet ever really goes away, maybe some of our grandchildren will find this site and read  all the stories of the great grandparents they never knew.

Love all the stories.  Oral histories fascinate me 

Edited by Denver Hoosier
12 minutes ago, Lady J said:

My mom was a German war bride and she excelled at many things. Her cooking was interesting, she was the queen of jazzing up prepared food. She would add a little of this and that, somehow it always tasted good. She was my best friend and I miss her every day. 

She was the Sandra Lee, The Semi-Homemade cook, of her time!

1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

SuprSuprElevated, our sleep number bed was delivered today at 4:20 and it only took about 40 minutes to set up as opposed to the two hours they originally said it would take. Guess threatening to cancel our order got their attention after the 9:30pm delivery notice. Anyway, tonight is our first night. I've reminded hubs that we have to be patient and he's promised he will be. I'll keep you posted on our experience, if you want me to and thanks for all of your feedback!

I do!  I want to hear about your experience.  

Oh, forgot to tell you that our delivery person said they had 3 more deliveries to make tonight and they left about 5:00pm. Plus driving back to Nashville- 2 hours away from us. I guess they rescheduled some of those people to accommodate us. He said he was just glad to have a job. Both of them were very nice and extremely efficient!

(edited)
1 hour ago, Gam2 said:

Hi, GAM2

A little late checking in, but wanted to tell you that we have had our sleep number for about 5 years now.  For us, it's been absolute heaven.  Yes, it does take a few nights to find the right number, but once you do it is heavenly.  Only problem for us, we just can't sleep on anything else now.  I hope you love yours as much as we do ours!  

Edited by imisspuddy
Sweet dreams!!

On the mom cooking subject, my mom was from IN. She cooked 3 meals a day my whole life growing up. Bland and more bland. She always overcooked meat but could make a mean chicken and dumplings. I really didn't know what good food was until I married my husband. His family on both sides were southern so I learned to cook from his mom, aunts and grandmother. I still cook that way but have accommodated some of that to be lower fat, cholesterol, etc but still very tasty. One time my mom accidentally made dumplings out of pancake mix. They were tiny, gray and hard. My dad bounced one across the table that landed on mom's plate. We all died laughing and did so until they both died. It still makes me laugh to think about it. 

10 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Oh, forgot to tell you that our delivery person said they had 3 more deliveries to make tonight and they left about 5:00pm. Plus driving back to Nashville- 2 hours away from us. I guess they rescheduled some of those people to accommodate us. He said he was just glad to have a job. Both of them were very nice and extremely efficient!

Ours were very nice as well, just hurried, lol.

I misspuddy, thanks for your input also. I never sleep well in hotels or other people's houses anyway so that won't be anything different for me. In fact, I'm a bad sleeper every night but am hoping this helps with that. Thanks for replying! I do appreciate everyone on this forum for being so friendly and helpful!

35 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the forums this evening?  I keep getting a 502? error code.

Yes, they've been super slow for me all day.It's challenging to read and post.

7 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

My Dearest Bronxoni -

You ARE enough! And you are doing everything you can for her.  

My eyes are tearing over and there is so much I want to say.  I am in the same boat with my mother at the moment.

Just know we all care about you and are sending much love and bear hugs. xo

I am so sorry to hear that, @imisspuddy.  My thoughts are with you, too.  I know it is absolute hell to have to go through; just know you are not alone.

3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Is anyone else having trouble with the forums this evening?  I keep getting a 502? error code.

Yes, I was getting that same error code late this afternoon, only on my ipad. My desktop computer didn't get the error, but it was very slow. Access on my ipad has been back for several hours now and no more error codes, but it's still a little slower than normal. There must be something wonky going on with the website.

9 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

In a perfect world, my collection would include at least one sample of all the colored gemstones.  I love my pretty shiny sparkly things.  :-)

Me too! I'd love to have a collection like that.

On 5/30/2017 at 2:04 PM, SentimentalLady said:

I might be even sadder?  I have never had meatloaf in my life.  My mother never made it.

We had meatloaf way too many times when I was growing up.  You had it the first night, then in your sandwich the next day, then reheated on a trivet over water a few days later.  I am proud to say that I have not made a single meat loaf since I left home.  Blech.

2 hours ago, seahag said:

We had meatloaf way too many times when I was growing up.  You had it the first night, then in your sandwich the next day, then reheated on a trivet over water a few days later.  I am proud to say that I have not made a single meat loaf since I left home.  Blech.

My favorite part of meat loaf is the sandwich the next day, yum !

3 hours ago, seahag said:

Was not a fan of my mom's meatloaf, either.   It was very "solid."   I don't think we ever had leftovers -- too many of us at the table.   My husband said he loves meatloaf sandwiches.

I have a meatloaf recipe I took from a "healthy cooking" TV show years ago. You know, before the internets, when we had to write it down as they went along??!    It's topped with a bottle of chili sauce, kind of loose/crumbly and we like it.

(edited)
9 hours ago, Lady J said:

My favorite part of meat loaf is the sandwich the next day, yum !

me too!!!  my fondest memory of a pharmaceutical company I worked for was their cafeteria's hot meatloaf sandwich - white bread, meatloaf and slathered with gravy - my mouth waters just thinking about it.

Edited by Fishy
On 6/1/2017 at 4:20 PM, Denver Hoosier said:

Count me in! When a new stone I had never heard of came along on the shopping channels, I would want to add it to my collection. 

HSN's Jay King kind of ruined that idea for me. He always seems to bring something new. One time he was telling his usual story of how he got the latest new agate rough. He was with a friend on some hill in someone's back acreage and dug up some rocks that were of the agate variety. They named that agate after the friend and the owner so it's a combined name with agate. I don't want to chase after every rock and pebble Jay King finds on some hill while they stopped at a Cracker Barrel crossing a bridge in Michigan. I knew I couldn't do that. 

I certainly like the widely accepted precious gems, and opaque gemstones like carnelian, charoite, green aventurine, etc. I avoid Jay King's random gravel of agate and quartz. It doesn't mean I don't have fun looking. I don't need to buy though. 

12 hours ago, seahag said:

I didn't like meatloaf growing up. It was always some greasy hard rock with ketchup on it. Years later, I had a really GOOD meatloaf that was flavorful and so tasty. I've actually craved meatloaf a few times over the years. I also crave hamburgers so that figures. 

I usually make meatloaf once a month. If I make it too often, we get sick of it. We eat a lot of chicken, at least 1-2 times a week.  My younger son would live on chicken tenders every day if he could. I usually coat them in corn flakes and bake them to make them healthier. 

I'm horrible at making roasts. I can bake chicken legs or pork chops, but the actual roast turns out awful. The only roast I do well is a small pork tenderloin or a pot roast. I usually buy a chuck roast and the McCormick pot roast oven bag. I add a bag of baby carrots and depending on my mood, I might add potatoes. I always serve it with a jar of applesauce. I've tried making them in the crockpot, but the veggies don't cook enough and the meat ends up dry. 

I always serve applesauce with pork chops, unless I get in the mood for mashed potatoes. My mom always makes the bone in pork chops with bread crumbs and then baked them. I stick to the boneless pork chops. I learned from the Food Network that I can brown them in the frying pan and then let the insides cook in the oven. I bought the 4-pack of Rachael Ray seasonings last month and I've been happy with them. I usually serve pork chops with peas; my mom always makes peas with a pork roast on New Year's Day in place of black eyed peas, so I just got into the habit of serving peas and pork  

On 5/31/2017 at 11:42 AM, Bronx Babe said:

I'm getting very nervous about my mother.  She's 96 and in a nursing home; one of the aides just called me to say Mom said she feels congested and can't breathe too well, so they're going to do blood tests and whatnot.  Every time the phone rings I'm expecting dire news and don't know how I will cope....

My anxiety levels are through the roof.  I'm trying to "let go and let God" -- all of that -- but am fearful of what my physical and emotional reactions will be when the end comes.  I know she's old and has outlasted all her siblings, but I'm sure it will still be a shock.

(((Bronxoni))) Praying for you and mom.  When Mama Hag nearly bit the dust 6 months ago, I was hit with how hard it will be when she goes.  

On 6/1/2017 at 6:35 PM, imisspuddy said:

Hi, GAM2

A little late checking in, but wanted to tell you that we have had our sleep number for about 5 years now.  For us, it's been absolute heaven.  Yes, it does take a few nights to find the right number, but once you do it is heavenly.  Only problem for us, we just can't sleep on anything else now.  I hope you love yours as much as we do ours!  

We've had ours for about 5 years, and we love it!  We also have the adjustable base, which has been really great for keeping my head up with this pneumonia.

On another topic, when my father died, I felt like a huge burden had been lifted from my shoulders.  He was a hateful, manipulative pedophile.  I was only civil to him because he would have made my mom choose.  He tortured my brother and me for decades.  It was a great day for us when he croaked.  He had issues with my other siblings, but they chose to sanctify him after his death.  I had to forgive him for my own mental health, but my psychiatrist told me that I never had to stop protecting myself.  At least now, I am free to call, visit, and take care of Mama Hag as much as I want.

(edited)
13 hours ago, Thumper said:

Was not a fan of my mom's meatloaf, either.   It was very "solid."   I don't think we ever had leftovers -- too many of us at the table.   My husband said he loves meatloaf sandwiches.

I have a meatloaf recipe I took from a "healthy cooking" TV show years ago. You know, before the internets, when we had to write it down as they went along??!    It's topped with a bottle of chili sauce, kind of loose/crumbly and we like it.

My mom made a HUGE meatloaf!  There were 9 of us at the table.  They bought a half a cow at a time.

4 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Count me in! When a new stone I had never heard of came along on the shopping channels, I would want to add it to my collection. 

HSN's Jay King kind of ruined that idea for me. He always seems to bring something new. One time he was telling his usual story of how he got the latest new agate rough. He was with a friend on some hill in someone's back acreage and dug up some rocks that were of the agate variety. They named that agate after the friend and the owner so it's a combined name with agate. I don't want to chase after every rock and pebble Jay King finds on some hill while they stopped at a Cracker Barrel crossing a bridge in Michigan. I knew I couldn't do that. 

I certainly like the widely accepted precious gems, and opaque gemstones like carnelian, charoite, green aventurine, etc. I avoid Jay King's random gravel of agate and quartz. It doesn't mean I don't have fun looking. I don't need to buy though. 

For my 60th, Mr. Hag gave me a necklace with charoite and onyx in a silver setting.  I had a pair of charoite earrings that I got at an art fair many years ago, and now I have something to go with it!

Edited by seahag
Damn merge!

Seahag, I am so sorry about your father.  Happy you were able to resolve it for your well-being.  Can't imagine what you have been through.

My parents bought 1/2 a cow too. Thus, meals like cow tongue -- ick.  Like your family, we were big -- 10 total.  I don't recall the meatloaf being all that large.  Mom would supplement with other stuff.  We laughed that she would make 9 bag lunch sandwiches out of one can of tuna. (Just a smear of tuna, lots of mayo!).  She always made chili with macaroni, to "spread" it out.  It wasn't until high school, when I worked in a restaurant, that I realized most chili did not have elbow macaroni!

6 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I know what you mean. Jay tries too hard. Many of his stones are pretty, but many look like drab rocks you'd find in your garden. I remember his line from way back when it was "Santa Fe Silver" and he sold many beautiful pieces made by Native American artisans. I cherish the pieces I bought then.

I wish he'd go back to Made in USA artisan designs, or maybe concentrate more on designing than finding new rocks. Most of his bead necklaces are very plain, and he always uses a hook closure now instead of lobster claw like he used to do. I don't care for the hooks because they tend to scratch my neck. I never order his rings any more, because most of them have those extra-wide bands you can't wear unless you size up. His earrings are so plain they look often like amateur arts-and-crafts stuff, just a couple of tumbled pebbles on a dangle hook. He does do some unusual designs in pendants, though.