Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/exclusive-duggar-family-spotted-filming-210200496.html

A source exclusively tells ET that the Duggar family has been filming for a few months now for a still-undetermined show or special, and that they were shopping at a store with a camera crew. In Touch caught the family filming near their home in Springfield, Arkansas.

According to the source, people in town are angry to see the crews back. "There is a lot of hate regarding the family. After all that has happened, this isn't the same family in many people's eyes."

Good, good. Let the hate flow though you, townspeople. Pull more skeletons out the closet.

Another source exclusively tells ET that the family is still under contract with TLC, though some family members' contracts are up in March. The source says the network definitely still has interest in the controversial family, specifically in the Duggar girls' stories.

"I'm sure there will be more girls courting soon," the source says.

ET reached out to TLC, who said they had nothing to announce at this time.

Hmm. Wonder who's contracts are up? I'd guess Bin and Derrick?

As ET previously reported in December, he and Anna have been working on rekindling their romance by writing love letters to each other.

A Josh love letter. My skin crawls!

• Love 8

Not to get off topic, but I apologize if I have referred to you as female. I had you as a lady in my imagination. 

In my imagination, you are all gorgeous ladies. Sorry. :D

• Love 5

Dear TLC/InTouch/World, 

Sierra is really, really, obnoxiously annoying, and not in a 'love to hate her' kind of way. Stop giving her air time, unless you want to throw her and Michelle into a ring and have them fight it out for the title of Most Overcompensating Teenage Guilt By Over Compensating Hyper Fundie Perpetual Mother of the Year, NO MORE SIERRA. 

• Love 9

So how do you say "what the actual fuck?" en espanol, because every last local in that photo is thinking it.

ETA: Sweet jumping Jesus if Michelle doesn't look pregnant. Please tell me it's just fat. Please. I am begging you here.

Don't worry, unless you see JimBob's scummy hands wrapped around her stomach she's not pregnant.

So how do you say "what the actual fuck?" en espanol, because every last local in that photo is thinking it.

ETA: Sweet jumping Jesus if Michelle doesn't look pregnant. Please tell me it's just fat. Please. I am begging you here.

Don't worry, unless you see JimBob's scummy hands wrapped around her stomach she's not pregnant.

• Love 6

Seeing Torgo's picture makes me really want to see the Duggar Bus end up at Valley Lodge.   Let the Master deal with all of them.  [Look up Manos, the Hands of Fate for further explanation.]

• Love 1

For all that is holy, what does Michelle have on her feet?

I think it's a "I'm a twinnie with my buddy!" thing. They look to me like smaller versions of those (dulled and bedraggled) black running shoes that Jim Bob always wears to inappropriate occasions (up to and including black-tie dinners, if I'm not mistaken). .... I haven't ever noticed them wearing matching shoes before, but I expect it's what Tweedledumbest and Tweedleevendumberthanthat are doing here.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

Gothard convinced Spurlock’s impoverished family to let the teen stay in Indiana for “counseling” for the “sins” of participating in sports and having a boyfriend — things that went against his puritanical belief that women should practice extreme modesty.

So she gets molested by Gothard. Jesus.

Another of the new plaintiffs, a man named Daniel Dorsett, said he witness Gothard sexually abuse more than 150 girls between 1994 and 1996 when he worked as a personal driver for him.

Holy Shit. 150. That's just over two years, too.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 6

That is a very damaging article for the Duggars.

I grew up Fund Lite and never ever heard of such garbage as this Gothard guy. Very sick. Sounds like a sex cult.

I hope the VP of programming at Discovery/TLC (our close personal friend Nancy!) had a chance to read it. Maybe I should e-mail it to her. After all, the Duggars are PROMINENTLY FEATURED in the article! Won't she be proud?

And all my best thoughts to every young woman and Gothard's former personal driver who summoned the courage to come forward. I hope there is justice at last.

• Love 13

I thought they were a super ugly pair of crocs. 

That's my second-place guess. But I think I see laces, closed heels and a couple of those sneaker-leather-stripes-on-the side, so my guess number one is sneakers. Whatever they are, they remarkably awful looking. ...

I'm sure that Jim Bob and Michelle have been in denial about such a "Godly" man doing such horrible things. But when there are 150 allegations? At what point do you stop and say "hey, this seems really wrong." Gil and Kelly Bates also.

Wonder if the Duggars are going to make a point to step away from this IBLP group?

The Bates are speaking at their Big Sandy Conference. Yuck. Run!!!

• Love 5

I'm sure that Jim Bob and Michelle have been in denial about such a "Godly" man doing such horrible things. But when there are 150 allegations? At what point do you stop and say "hey, this seems really wrong." Gil and Kelly Bates also.

Wonder if the Duggars are going to make a point to step away from this IBLP group?

The Bates are speaking at their Big Sandy Conference. Yuck. Run!!!

I think that people get into that particular cult because they're rigid and can't deal with any shades of grey or ambiguities. Hard for people like that to change their views. They tend to double down.

• Love 3

I think Jim Bob and Michelle got their ass kicked with Josh the Perv and the public reaction to the molestation.

Ya gotta wonder if they are now more aware and actually grew a little? (highly unlikely but possible)

Maybe Jim Bob is actually thinking sending Josh to this Gothard Perv group might've made Josh even worse. You know Jim Bob and Michelle are secretly hoping someone else is to blame...don't be surprised if Jim Bob throws Gothard under the bus. Slippery people will do anything to save face.

• Love 5

I wonder if they are still pulling new members into this cult. I think the homeschooling conferences would be the big draw.  But if recruits are down, and second and third generation victims find a way to leave the cult, it would be diminishing in size.  How long can it go on without a leader?  And where will those poor SAHD ever find husbands?

• Love 1

I homeschool and was a Fund (lite). I have NEVER heard of Gothard. I don't know anyone who follows this guy. I have never seen them at any conventions, forums or anything of the sort. I have heard of Wisdom Books but only because people said they were "not at grade level" and "didn't teach anything" and were basically nonsense.

I think IBLP is very closed. They don't associate with other non-IBLP Christians or non Christians. A homeschool convention has tons of different Christian denominations,some Mormons, JWs, atheists, Muslims etc (you would be surprised). IBLP doesn't associate with "those people".

IBLP does its own homeschool convention. They don't seem to participate in the state conventions that regular homeschoolers attend etc.

I was wondering the same thing. Where do they find people? This group will most likely die out shortly. We can hope!

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 4

I think Jim Bob and Michelle got their ass kicked with Josh the Perv and the public reaction to the molestation.

Ya gotta wonder if they are now more aware and actually grew a little? (highly unlikely but possible)

Maybe Jim Bob is actually thinking sending Josh to this Gothard Perv group might've made Josh even worse. You know Jim Bob and Michelle are secretly hoping someone else is to blame...don't be surprised if Jim Bob throws Gothard under the bus. Slippery people will do anything to save face.

Hells yeah! Look how his own family crucified Smuggs on the specials! JB will ABSOLUTELY roll over on Gothard.
  • Love 2

Hells yeah! Look how his own family crucified Smuggs on the specials! JB will ABSOLUTELY roll over on Gothard.

It's obvious to us that Gothard made Josh worse.

However, this might be big news for Michelle and Jim Bob.

Jim Bob is shrewd. Maybe HE will be on the Redemption Tour also!

EDIT to ADD:

To buy their kooky Wisdom Booklets, you have to be an "approved member of ATI". Creepy.

Edited by Marigold

https://m.facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/photos/a.516618088471845.1073741827.510067475793573/774687695998215/?type=3&source=54

Can someone please explain the rapper video to me? Are they in CHURCH!?! I haven't attended in 16 years but is that how church is done now? Are they rapping "In the Motherhood"? That and stretch marks are all I made out. Michelle said she wants more kids! JB said they're still trying. They are both clearly I'll at ease being there. Michelle looks beyond horrible. So dowdy and fakerery smiling and wringing her hands and wiping her eye makeup. JB wearing sunglasses indoors. His cringe worthy spin and sort of bopping his head! And swooping in at the end to Peck Michelle's lips. Yuk!

Clearly, my link did not work! Its the video of JB and the rapper preacher lady.

• Love 1

I didn't watch the JBeezy Rap. But Michelle must have been squirming inside. She almost jumped out of her skin when Jessa & Ben went to hold hands during a prayer when they were at a restaurant together. JB singing & dancing to a beat - how defrauding to the millions who might have been turned on by this. He might as well have cheated on Michelle.

• Love 2

I wonder if they are still pulling new members into this cult.

I think attendance has been falling since the 80's. Probably hard to rope in new members in the internet era. The fact that they only seem to have Big Sandy left, and moved all operations to Texas doesn't bode well either.

How long can it go on without a leader?

Gothard still runs things from the shadows. I'm certain of it, no matter what they say. When he dies, then the show really starts.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 9

I homeschool and was a Fund (lite). I have NEVER heard of Gothard. I don't know anyone who follows this guy. I have never seen them at any conventions, forums or anything of the sort. I have heard of Wisdom Books but only because people said they were "not at grade level" and "didn't teach anything" and were basically nonsense.

I think IBLP is very closed. They don't associate with other non-IBLP Christians or non Christians. A homeschool convention has tons of different Christian denominations,some Mormons, JWs, atheists, Muslims etc (you would be surprised). IBLP doesn't associate with "those people".

IBLP does its own homeschool convention. They don't seem to participate in the state conventions that regular homeschoolers attend etc.

I was wondering the same thing. Where do they find people? This group will most likely die out shortly. We can hope!

Some of the spread has come from deliberate seeding efforts from this Character Training Institute thing described in the article below, in which people -- including the Waller family -- have tried to spread the Gothard ideas far and wide, and really by stealth as they pretend they're not Gothard-inspired and actually kind of secular. They're Gothard to the core, though. And this has gone all the way to Mongolia, among other places.

Other than this kind of deliberate seeding effort for Gothard's ideas (and isn't that a concept to make your hair stand on end) what I've always heard is that the more organic spread has tended to be just local and regional, as a handful of families learned about the thing and got very very caught up in it. That accounts for most people not being familiar with it, I guess. But when a family or two in a given place did hear about it and join, the kind of fervor and rigid devotion to certain ideas that the handful showed would often spread throughout a congregation or a town apparently -- by accounts. Seems that there are lots of stories of Gothard and other cultic things spreading that way, as a few early adopters' zeal urges or shames or peer-pressures others to get involved, too.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/2450

'From the outside the bland, unmarked exterior of the Character Training Institute’s headquarters blends remarkably well into its immediate surroundings. This is a section of Oklahoma City that hasn’t yet benefited from the nearby, upscale urban development intended to draw both tourism and business to the area....Inside the institute, Arizona state treasurer David Petersen takes to the conference podium to tell how his state’s Family Services Committee passed “Character Education Legislation.”

'“All schools now have it implemented,” he says proudly. “We’re fighting for the soul of this nation.” Petersen is not being hyperbolic. He attributes his passion for “character” to a personal meeting with evangelist Bill Gothard.

'Gothard, the 74-year-old, unmarried man at the head of the Oak-Brook, Illinois-based Institute in Basic Life Principles (IBLP)–which brings in an estimated profit of at least $63 million annually–has been in the evangelism business since 1964. Originally named the Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts, IBLP changed its name in 1990. All totaled, IBLP boasts that at least 2.5 million people have attended the organization’s seminars and ministries in the United States and other countries, including Russia, Mongolia, Romania and Taiwan.

'Although legally and fiscally independent, the CTI is for all intents and purposes a “secular” front group for Gothard’s IBLP. In the last decade, the CTI has quietly gained entry into hundreds of elementary, middle and high schools, state and city offices, corporations, police departments and jails.

Though he never uses the term, Gothard’s ideology fits into the framework of the burgeoning “Christian Reconstructionist” movement, which aims to rebuild society according to biblical mandates. Within the Christian Reconstructionist worldview, modern-day chaos is directly attributable to the division of church and state and the consequent degradation of individual character.

'For Gothard, the solution is restoring the United States–and then the rest of the world–to something that he calls “The Sevenfold Power of First-Century Churches and Homes.”''

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

'For Gothard, the solution is restoring the United States–and then the rest of the world–to something that he calls “The Sevenfold Power of First-Century Churches and Homes.”''

Lots of King James bible quotes in first-century homes.

• Love 3

Apparently the ladies of The Talk dared to make some criticisms of Dim Boob and Mullet's potential return to the airwaves and the leghumpers are all up in arms...

One can only imagine the bleatings of the SODRT grads as they defend their heroes to the death. After all, they're just haters and they would have no problem allowing Joshley Madison to babysit their kids or grandkids, right?

• Love 1

One can only imagine the bleatings of the SODRT grads as they defend their heroes to the death. After all, they're just haters and they would have no problem allowing Joshley Madison to babysit their kids or grandkids, right?

...or to marry them, or their daughters (a la Anna and the Kellers), were he now a bach....

• Love 1

Apparently the ladies of The Talk dared to make some criticisms of Dim Boob and Mullet's potential return to the airwaves and the leghumpers are all up in arms...

I was forewarned about this on FB, so I recorded it. They were firmly against the Duggars returning to TV, and the audience strongly agreed with them. So I guess they're all haters, too. Audience response to the molestations was universally "eeeeewwwww!" They didn't even bother to touch on the Joshley Madison stuff; mention of molesting his sisters and the subsequent cover-up was plenty to make their argument. 

• Love 5

I imagine they can't bleat much more than, But, but, but....

SOTDRT doesn't allow for much reasoned thinking.

• Love 1

Ethical behavior is sorely lacking all over this country.  It's a shame.  Critical thinking is also absent and will lead to the downfall of the country.  But you can sure get to ethics and thinking without religion.  In fact, the dependence on the religion muddies the waters.  It is, in fact, counter-productive and may lead to blaming the guiltless.

• Love 12

Missy Vixen..."poutrage"?

You are GENIUS. I plan to steal this word and use it liberally. Poutrageously, even.

I've been using it frequently ever since the fundies/evangelicals threw a shit fit over the Rainbow Doritos thing last year.

• Love 2

Her crack was immature and didn't add to the argument the other women were making. I really appreciated how sqiucked out the audience was by Joshgate I. I am pretty sure that people like them (and us) are in the majority in this issue

• Love 3

For those who appreciate a little scurrilous blind items on a Saturday, here's the latest from Crazy Days and Nights' owner's Twitter account.

I can't imagine who he might be talking about.

"Twitter BI - The b/f of this closeted male reality star from a very very large family was paid $50K to sign a NDA and go away forever."

• Love 2

For those who appreciate a little scurrilous blind items on a Saturday, here's the latest from Crazy Days and Nights' owner's Twitter account.

"Twitter BI - The b/f of this closeted male reality star from a very very large family was paid $50K to sign a NDA and go away forever."

So J3 or J7?

could it be a Bates?

• Love 2

I can't imagine JB shelling out 50k for something like that; maybe it's a Bates? Isn't Lawson the one who pings according to some?

ETA: On the other hand, it could very well fit in with J7's extended stays at ALERT and his insta-engagement once back. I remember the poor lad looking absolutely shattered in every picture from that weird place.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 1