Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I generally prefer international tv and movies because they cast more realistic looking actors. 50+ actresses still get lots of work, without having had lots of work done.

I agree. I think you're more likely to see everyday-looking people in media from other places. Though I've watched enough Danish TV and movies to conclude that even otherwise average-looking people in Denmark all seem to have exquisite cheekbones and a vague air of sophisticated menace. LOLOL Maybe it's just the crime dramas, though. . . .

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yup. It's one reason I really admire the beauty of Old Hollywood. I don't think actors are any less naturally beautiful today. It's just instead of making the most of their natural beauty with hair and makeup, many of them still go under the knife. It's a shame. 

2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Lots of people in Old Hollywood had work done. And lots of the men wore wigs.

Plastic surgery existed back then, but it wasn't rampant like it is modern Hollywood. And yeah, like I said, the hair and makeup didn't bother me. I liked that they relied more on stuff that could be washed off or removed than more drastic routes. 

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Hiyo said:

The Degrassi franchise started in 1979, with The Kids of Degrassi Street. If that doesn't make you feel old...

Well, it does now. lol I am the exact age group of Spike, Snake, Wheels et al. It came as quite a shock to me when The Next Gen came out since it was a reminder that I was now old enough to be someone's mother! YIKES!

I'm a weirdo who doesn't like children but has an odd attraction to children's television. 

7 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

As I’ve grown older, I care less and less about appearance. Sex appeal is not solely about a man’s looks. Not at all!

I find that too. The older I get the more personality makes an average looking guy hotter or makes the most physically perfect man unattractive. 

I agree with the person who said that what makes Patrick Dempsey stand out amongst the cookie cutter good looking white guy group is his smile. He's got one of those smiles that light up his entire face. Emilia Clarke has it as well. There is such a genuine warmth in their smiles that goes into their eyes. I think that can make a generically attractive person stand out from their look-a-likes. 

I think it's also why my "Hottest men ever" list comes in a wide variety of ages, shapes and colors. That said, I do like me a tall man. I've got a massive crush on 6'8" Greg Davies. Not sure if it's just the height, it could be his position as the Taskmaster that makes him extra sexy to me. lol

• Like 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, Jensen Ackles or Idris Elba.

Jensen is one of my absolute favorites. His face is perfection as far as I'm concerned.

As for the other three . . .

Bradley became cuter to me with age. I wasn't gaga over him as a young actor. He was cute, but he aged like fine wine, has those beautiful blue eyes, and so talented! It's beyond his looks of me. I also enjoy Ryan as an actor. He's cute in that hot guy next door type of way, has a sick body, and so charming. Idris is like Bradley in that he grew on me. I think he's more handsome in motion, has a nice build, and his accent is gorgeous. 

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

I agree with the person who said that what makes Patrick Dempsey stand out amongst the cookie cutter good looking white guy group is his smile. He's got one of those smiles that light up his entire face. Emilia Clarke has it as well. There is such a genuine warmth in their smiles that goes into their eyes. I think that can make a generically attractive person stand out from their look-a-likes. 

I think it's also why my "Hottest men ever" list comes in a wide variety of ages, shapes and colors. That said, I do like me a tall man. I've got a massive crush on 6'8" Greg Davies. Not sure if it's just the height, it could be his position as the Taskmaster that makes him extra sexy to me. lol

That was me!

I'm with ya on height. Armie Hammer was one of my favorite as far as looks because he's so tall in addition to being handsome. Creeped out by him now though . . .

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Well, it does now. lol I am the exact age group of Spike, Snake, Wheels et al. It came as quite a shock to me when The Next Gen came out since it was a reminder that I was now old enough to be someone's mother! YIKES!

I'm a weirdo who doesn't like children but has an odd attraction to children's television. 

I find that too. The older I get the more personality makes an average looking guy hotter or makes the most physically perfect man unattractive. 

Personality, brains, and most importantly, humor.

And re Greg Davies, OMG, I looove him! Besides Taskmaster, have you checked out his appearances on Graham Norton? Plus his stories on "Would I Lie to You"?? He makes me laugh so much, which just makes him sexier!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Personality, brains, and most importantly, humor.

And re Greg Davies, OMG, I looove him! Besides Taskmaster, have you checked out his appearances on Graham Norton? Plus his stories on "Would I Lie to You"?? He makes me laugh so much, which just makes him sexier!

Yes! One of the most attractive celeb men ever to me is the late George Carlin. 

Even with the TV characters I swoon over, they're oftentimes funny. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling, Jensen Ackles or Idris Elba.

I’ll give you the others, but Idris Elba is hot, lol. 

• Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Jensen Ackles is so bland. He’s like warmed over toast. Adam Driver, however, is a stone fox.

I had no idea who Jensen Ackles was until recently. Not impressed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Jensen Ackles is so bland.

Ditto. Jensen Ackles reminds of a Ken Doll. Bland, generic blonde guy who kind of looks like he’s made of plastic.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5

I love him. 

201c759d10363b2b18dc2d4d0a82e2dc.jpg

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Jensen Ackles is so bland. He’s like warmed over toast. Adam Driver, however, is a stone fox.

I think we have opposite taste in men. lol Curious, what other actors do you think are foxy? I wonder if there's anyone we mutually find attractive. 

• Love 2

Jensen Ackles is so bland.

35 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Ditto. Jensen Ackles reminds of a Ken Doll. Bland, generic blonde guy who kind of looks like he’s made of plastic.

I just looked him up, and, yeah - not unattractive, certainly, but so generic I wouldn't be able to pick him out of a line-up.

• Like 3
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

😂😂😂😂😂 Yes I think that is what I was trying to articulate earlier about some of these actors, but you said it so much better. 

Not that Gosling does anything for me, either, but Ackles not getting the role of Ken in that new Barbie movie does seem like a missed opportunity. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Amen.

Then again, I'm attracted to guys like Patrick Stewart and James Gandolfini, so what do I know...

• Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Patrick Stewart

Patrick Stewart is living proof that there's nothing wrong with going bald. Though one of my favorite things about British TV from the 70s is how many times a young Patrick Stewart with (fake) hair pops up as the villain. 

• Love 9

I was making a comment about the Jensens, Ryans, Bradleys, etc lol

Bland "pretty" boys who would make excellent fodder as The Bachelors.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

I was making a comment about the Jensens, Ryans, Bradleys, etc lol

Bland "pretty" boys who would make excellent fodder as The Bachelors.

Yeah, the guys you mentioned are polar opposite of them.

Oh man, now that show has a bunch of good-looking people I'd get confused. And that goes for both the men and the women. They often have the same names too, lots of Garretts, Hannahs, and Laurens. 

Yeah, the guys you mentioned are polar opposite of them.

Yeah, real men lol

I mean, this is the Unpopular Opinion Thread, a place for those of us who find those men to be bland/boring/whatever to get together ;)

Edited by Hiyo
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Love 4

I've been rewatching a favorite British show from the late70s/early80s in which the lead male character and one of the other males appear shirtless in one of the episodes, to the general hilarity of fans. Because they look like actual men who, quite sensibly, prefer to spend time at the pub instead of the gym and not like the boys we've become accustomed to seeing in the last couple of decades.

Of course, in fan art, all characters are depicted as being super buff gods. I've been thinking that if the show were remade today the actors would actually have the bodies on screen that they have in fan art.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I've never been one to go for really buff men. With that being said I will be watching Magic Mike 3 when it comes out. 

7 hours ago, Zella said:

Patrick Stewart is living proof that there's nothing wrong with going bald.

7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Then again, I'm attracted to guys like Patrick Stewart and James Gandolfini, so what do I know...

7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I didn't find Gandolfini physically attractive but he had charisma.  It was Gandolfini that made Tony Soprano something more than just a mob thug. 

And add in the accent and Patrick Stewart is one beautiful man.

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Yes! One of the most attractive celeb men ever to me is the late George Carlin. 

Oh yeah.  A smart funny man who shares my same beliefs is like catnip for me.  On the other hand you can be drop dead gorgeous but have opposite beliefs than me and you will not even get a smile from me.  If I had known who Kirk Cameron and Scott Baio would turn into I would never have watched so much Growing Pains and later years Happy Days during the 80s.

13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Bradley became cuter to me with age.

I didn't really care for him during the Hangover years but once he started making IMO better  movies I looked at him differently. 

12 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

but Idris Elba is hot, lol. 

Yes he is.  I first saw him on the Wire and thought that is one gorgeous man.  That show had lots of attractive men.  Michael B. Jordan.  Michael K. Williams.  Lawrence Gilliard Jr.  

Probably an unpopular opinion but Milo Vintimiglio does nothing for me.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I've been rewatching a favorite British show from the late70s/early80s in which the lead male character and one of the other males appear shirtless in one of the episodes, to the general hilarity of fans. Because they look like actual men who, quite sensibly, prefer to spend time at the pub instead of the gym and not like the boys we've become accustomed to seeing in the last couple of decades.

Of course, in fan art, all characters are depicted as being super buff gods. I've been thinking that if the show were remade today the actors would actually have the bodies on screen that they have in fan art.

I generally prefer men like the former. I don’t want a man who spends more time on his appearance and in the gym than I do, lol. Or shaves more body parts than I do! Healthy, yes. Vain and simple, no. Metrosexuals are generally too self obsessed and shallow. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I've never been one to go for really buff men. With that being said I will be watching Magic Mike 3 when it comes out. 

I didn't find Gandolfini physically attractive but he had charisma.  It was Gandolfini that made Tony Soprano something more than just a mob thug. 

And add in the accent and Patrick Stewart is one beautiful man.

Oh yeah.  A smart funny man who shares my same beliefs is like catnip for me.  On the other hand you can be drop dead gorgeous but have opposite beliefs than me and you will not even get a smile from me.  If I had known who Kirk Cameron and Scott Baio would turn into I would never have watched so much Growing Pains and later years Happy Days during the 80s.

I didn't really care for him during the Hangover years but once he started making IMO better  movies I looked at him differently. 

Yes he is.  I first saw him on the Wire and thought that is one gorgeous man.  That show had lots of attractive men.  Michael B. Jordan.  Michael K. Williams.  Lawrence Gilliard Jr.  

Baby Michael B. Jordan, yes! And Michael K. Williams (he is missed). Funny, smart, and intellectually curious are very important traits.  I want someone who reads the NYT and lots of books, not someone who spends his spare time doing squats. And definitely if a man has ugly beliefs, I won’t give him the time of day, no matter what he looks like. It’s also a plus if a man can cook! Cook real meals - not be obsessed with counting macros. I don’t want someone who looks down on me for eating Haagen-Dazs.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yeah I'm with you on Kirk and Scott. They're all looks. I'd much rather be with a man who's intelligent, takes up for LGBT and people of color. 

Someone I find really attractive whose more than his looks is Trevor Noah. Gorgeous on the outside, intelligent, funny, a good person, and the accent! Yum. 

10 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Yeah, real men lol

I mean, this is the Unpopular Opinion Thread, a place for those of us who find those men to be bland/boring/whatever to get together ;)

Yes, I know, wasn't trying to post shame, just interested in what people find attractive. There are men I'm into (especially IRL) where others are like, what the hell lol

An unpopular opinion I have is that while I consider Brad Pitt cute/hot/sexy, I don't consider him a pretty boy, the way many do. His face on a woman isn't anything special. A pretty boy actor to me is a Jensen Ackles, Johnny Depp, etc. 

Back to a specific TV show, I have no shame when it comes to what's considered bad TV, guilty pleasures, reality shows, etc. But I don't get the massive appeal of the Kardashians. I see no point watching their show(s) when they make it to other talk shows, magazines, blogs, anything pop culture. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

An unpopular opinion I have is that while I consider Brad Pitt cute/hot/sexy, I don't consider him a pretty boy, the way many do. His face on a woman isn't anything special. A pretty boy actor to me is a Jensen Ackles, Johnny Depp, etc. 

Brad Pitt when he was married to Jennifer Aniston I thought was absolutely gorgeous.  It's not that he let  himself go when he was with Angelina Jolie but he wasn't as clean cut.  

I thought Johnny Depp was so cute when he was on 21 Jump St.  But then he grew his hair long and had a lot of facial hair and oh yeah, was accused of being abusive to women.  

21 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Someone I find really attractive whose more than his looks is Trevor Noah. Gorgeous on the outside, intelligent, funny, a good person, and the accent! Yum. 

I agree. Along those same lines I always found Jon Stewart attractive.  He is aging well.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I was going to like your post, but then you lost me with Adam Driver 😄. I almost included him with the rest, but it's been long enough since I saw people swooning over him.

12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Amen.

Ha, I'll join you with Anthony Head, Alan Rickman and Stephen Colbert.

OK, also Hugh Jackman, but who doesn't love him?

• Wink 1
  • Love 6

Hot guys?

James McAvoy HOT (and superhot voice in The Sandman Audiobook) Tom Sturridge NOT HOT in any Sandman versions. Too pouty.

A River Runs Through It Brad Pitt is peak Brad Pitt. It's been all down hill from there.

Johnny Depp is not hot. Tom and Lorenzo call him an elderly gay windchime and it's so true.

Also not hot, Jon Hamm. He looks like a serial killer. Armie Hammer was never hot, no matter how much he was shoved into. 

Tom Hardy, SO HOT.

Viggo Mortenson, only hot when he's dirty.

Mads Mikkelson, super hot. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
11 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Hot guys?

James McAvoy HOT (and superhot voice in The Sandman Audiobook) Tom Sturridge NOT HOT in any Sandman versions. Too pouty.

A River Runs Through It Brad Pitt is peak Brad Pitt. It's been all down hill from there.

Johnny Depp is not hot. Tom and Lorenzo call him an elderly gay windchime and it's so true.

Also not hot, Jon Hamm. He looks like a serial killer. Armie Hammer was never hot, no matter how much he was shoved into. 

Tom Hardy, SO HOT.

I agree about all, except Jon Hamm. I never even knew the names of Jensen Ackles or Armie Hammer before visiting this forum. Who? 🤣

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

In regards to not having to be hot to be sexy, or vice versa:

I find Adam Driver to be sexy, but not all that attractive and I find Henry Cavill very good looking, but, imo, has no sex appeal.  Chris Evans (esp. with the darker hair and the beard), for me, is an example of someone who is both hot and sexy.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2

*raises hand* He's all right. I mean, he's like your friend's dad that your mom thinks is hot, but you're just like, "he's Jennifer's dad, ew."

Rege-Jeal Paul - ONLY hot in Bridgerton. Not hot in anything else. He definitely benefited from the costuming. 

Rodrigo Santoro is a BILLION times hotter than Leonard DiCaprio.

Oh these is are unpopular opinions, Keanu Reeves looks at least 60. Paul Rudd is DEFINITELY showing his age. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • LOL 1
49 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

*raises hand* He's all right. I mean, he's like your friend's dad that your mom thinks is hot, but you're just like, "he's Jennifer's dad, ew."

Rege-Jeal Paul - ONLY hot in Bridgerton. Not hot in anything else. He definitely benefited from the costuming. 

*Also raises hand* I have never found Hugh attractive and think since he's been on Broadway in The Music Man, he looks anemic and sickly (which could just be from the stress of 8 shows a week)

Rege-Jean also only looked good to me in Bridgerton and I've found his off set personality... challenging. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Rodrigo Santoro is a BILLION times hotter than Leonard DiCaprio.

Oh these is are unpopular opinions, Keanu Reeves looks at least 60. Paul Rudd is DEFINITELY showing his age. 

What? Paul Rudd has barely aged in decades, lol. And aging doesn’t make people less sexy, imo. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Brad Pitt when he was married to Jennifer Aniston I thought was absolutely gorgeous.  It's not that he let  himself go when he was with Angelina Jolie but he wasn't as clean cut.  

I thought Johnny Depp was so cute when he was on 21 Jump St.  But then he grew his hair long and had a lot of facial hair and oh yeah, was accused of being abusive to women.  

I agree. Along those same lines I always found Jon Stewart attractive.  He is aging well.

I can see him as a gorgeous guy, just not a pretty boy. When I think a pretty boy, I think the guy in female form would be beautiful. I don't see Pitt that way the way most do.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I should mention him due to the controversy, but I think he is a good example of a well-known pretty boy. His bone structure is beautiful. 

Agree with ya on Jon Stewart. 

Hot guys?

Tom Hardy, SO HOT.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing. 

I do think John Hamm is hot, but now that you mention it, he has that handsome guy who ends up on the news look to him. 

I hate that I find Armie Hammer's OUTSIDES attractive. I don't like the idea of bad boys, but now and then I find myself attracted to them. Probably need to work on it in therapy. 

Tom Hardy is a friend of mine's favorite. 

10 minutes ago, mishy said:

*Also raises hand* I have never found Hugh attractive and think since he's been on Broadway in The Music Man, he looks anemic and sickly (which could just be from the stress of 8 shows a week)

Rege-Jean also only looked good to me in Bridgerton and I've found his off set personality... challenging. 

I find him good-looking but am not attracted to him. I said this in another post, but I feel like I'm looking at a beautiful, doe-eyed doll when I look at him. There are pretty boys who still exude sex to me, but my unpopular opinion is he doesn't. I just see a baby face. I know women lose their minds over him though, so I'm sure he's just fine if RealHousewife doesn't get it. 

4 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

What? Paul Rudd has barely aged in decades, lol. And aging doesn’t make people less sexy, imo. 

Paul Rudd has been and will always be attractive to me. A handsome guy who just seems like a good dude too. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I have no idea what people mean when they say he's not aging. His skin...especially under the eyes. Dude is looking papery.

I'm sure he's fun, but he's not...sexy. I mean, he's a guy you'd be comfortable trying the kinky with because he's adventurous, but he's not a guy that makes my knees weak. He's...fine. Like...guy you flirt with in the elevator fine. Not FOINE. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think Paul Rudd looks fine, but I'm not one to say he doesn't age like some people. I think there's a difference in looking good/young for your age, and not aging at all. Same with Jennifer Lopez, when people say she's aging backwards. No she isn't! Lol she looks great, but I don't think she looks any better/younger than she did in, say her 30s. 

• Love 4

This thread has shown me that it bothers me more if people find people I think are unattractive/creepy to be attractive than it does if people find people I think are attractive to be unattractive.

2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I find Henry Cavill very good looking, but, imo, has no sex appeal.  Chris Evans (esp. with the darker hair and the beard), for me, is an example of someone who is both hot and sexy.

Henry Cavill looks like someone made a good-looking robot. Like he seems like someone who is mathematically handsome, but there's something not right. Matt Bomer, though, looks exactly like him and is attractive. It's like Henry Cavill is the wax figure of Matt Bomer or something.

I agree that Paul Rudd does look his age, but looks good for his age.

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

I think Paul Rudd looks fine, but I'm not one to say he doesn't age like some people. I think there's a difference in looking good/young for your age, and not aging at all. Same with Jennifer Lopez, when people say she's aging backwards. No she isn't! Lol she looks great, but I don't think she looks any better/younger than she did in, say her 30s. 

The phrase “looking good for his/her age”’is such an incredibly backhanded compliment/passive aggressive insult. Why not simply “they look good?” It’s so rude and infuriating. And someone can look better than they did at an earlier age. Not younger, but better. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Plus his stories on "Would I Lie to You"?? He makes me laugh so much, which just makes him sexier!

Love him on WILTY. Not quite as much as my darling Bob Mortimer who, just to look at him isn't going to give you the old night sweats but I've got such a crush on him. I just love a man who can make me laugh. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

The phrase “looking good for his/her age”’is such an incredibly backhanded compliment/passive aggressive insult. Why not simply “they look good?” It’s so rude and infuriating. And someone can look better than they did at an earlier age. Not younger, but better. 

Yeah I know  people can look better when they're older than they did when they were younger. I see it in a lot of soap stars that I think look way better in their 40s and 50s than they did in their 20s and 30s. And I have people saying that I look good for my age all the time, and I'm fine! Lol but that's just me 🤷🏼‍♀️ but I get it actually.

• Love 1

Ok, back on topic. 

We've just finished Season 3 of NCIS and, while I think it's ok and good enough to keep watching (so far), I haven't been thrilled enough with it to understand why it's gone 19 seasons and has had multiple spin offs.  The only character I love is Ducky.  I like Ziva, McGee and Mr. Palmer (Jimmy).   Abby and Gibb's are ok, but sometimes they really bug me and there have only been a handful of scenes where I've liked Tony, but other than that, I just can't stand him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

We've just finished Season 3 of NCIS and, while I think it's ok and good enough to keep watching (so far), I haven't been thrilled enough with it to understand why it's gone 19 seasons and has had multiple spin offs.  The only character I love is Ducky. 

I loved Ducky, but not enough to keep watching. I also loved Kate, so once she left I lost interest. Abby was great in small doses but I pretty much hated the rest of the characters. 

6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have never watched an episode of an NCIS or a CSI.  Nor have I ever watched Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.  And I don't feel like I have missed out on anything.

Well, you've missed out on: 

• NCIS & CSI: basically the same show but one involved the Navy. If you've ever seen any cop show ever you've seen these
  • Game of Thrones: boobs and death
  • Walking Dead: um, dirt and death? I've actually never seen this one. Zombies aren't my thing. Unless it is the epic 80s teen flick Night of the Comet! 
Edited by Mabinogia
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I have never watched an episode of an NCIS or a CSI.  Nor have I ever watched Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.  And I don't feel like I have missed out on anything.

I’ve never seen an episode of GOT or The Walking Dead, either. I also haven’t seen even one superhero/comic book/whatever they call them movie. 

• Love 2