Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Blinds End And Battles Begin

• Start Topic

The utter predictability of how this show proceeds from here on out is deflating my enthusiasm for the rest of the season. Rapidly.

I mean, there was no doubt that Ayanna was going to be the last turn for Xtina, and that they were setting it up for Katie to be a Blake Steal further loading up his team with country singers. Adam had so many 1 and 2 chair turns that are totally cannon fodder, and yet he pairs up Ryan (his #1) and Katie (only 1 of 2 country singers not on Team Blake) who would've also had 4 chairs if Blake been able to push. That totally makes sense only in the Voice's universe.

As for the final 5 team additions, Moushumi I liked. I think she could maybe be the Amy Vachal of the season. Jonathan the 16 year old feels like fodder, and Jared just seems like he's going to be lost in the shuffle of all of Blake's country artists. Ayanna was fine, but it never seems to bode well if you are the last blind shown. Those people are usually blink and you miss them. Xtina also has Tamar, and Shalyah kind of in her lane too.

Liked Paxton, and pretty much had Brittney pegged as total fodder. So not surprised in that outcome or the lack of steal. I just wish the show would not spoil/telegraph every freaking steal. That to me is more important than watching the judges beg and Pharrell win yet another 3 or 4 judge blind or steal battle.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

I loved Maybe I'm Amazed since I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan. I thought Adam was wrong to choose Ryan over Katie. I disagree that it was fixed for Katie to pick Blake because she could have just as easily picked Christina. I don't think Katie is a country singer considering she chose the Allman Brothers for her audition and seemed comfortable with a McCartney song.

• Love 1

I loved Maybe I'm Amazed since I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan. I thought Adam was wrong to choose Ryan over Katie. I disagree that it was fixed for Katie to pick Blake because she could have just as easily picked Christina. I don't think Katie is a country singer considering she chose the Allman Brothers for her audition and seemed comfortable with a McCartney song.

That's an interesting interpretation because Katie herself said that she is a country singer, and also flat-out said after the steal, that it was a no-brainer for her to choose Blake.

• Love 4

This was a fairly bloodless episode. Blake getting his team filled first totally changed things. Pharell picked some fodder and xtina  probably did too. Other then Moushumi (Pharell, that final comment towed the racism line, just saying), there was nobody of any real consequence in this portion of the episode.

The battle rounds were ok. Notice how Adam took his country singer and threw her in front of a bus? I think that singers like Malik and Brian tend to get overrated based on a good battle round performance. I see middle of the pack at best for those two.

• Love 3

I think the Man's World should be banned from singing competitions.  I am so sick of that song that I couldn't really enjoy their voices.  Come on Christina, don't jack up your contestants with these songs everyone has heard nine million times on this and every other singing shows.

I really enjoyed Paxton and Katie.  I totally would have picked Katie if I were Adam.  Maybe it's just my taste or maybe I don't hear as good as others do but I think Ryan is seriously overrated and he sounds like he's screaming to me.

• Love 5

The utter predictability of how this show proceeds from here on out is deflating my enthusiasm for the rest of the season. Rapidly.

I couldn't agree more, but I will still watch.  I would LOVE for the powers-to-be to switch things up by making a second judge country.  Put a Dierks Bentley or Kenny Chesney on there and then it wouldn't be "Blakeville" all of the time.  Singers would have a choice and there aren't 24 talented country singers that come one the show forcing the two country artists to choose singers from other genres.  I get that each judge represents different areas of music--or they are supposed to--but I would rather go with some surprises every now and then to stop this show from getting so stale.  To end on an episode note--totally loved Moushumi and the spin she put on "Wicked game".

• Love 2

I've quit all the other singing shows so I don't care that they showed Man's World again.

Katie was better than Ryan, to my ears.

Calm down, Pharell. There are plenty of amazing Indian singers.

• Love 2

Nothing much to add here, but I loved when Christina got up and did her 'My Team is Full' song.  The other judges got a kick out of it too.  I like her a lot more this season.

• Love 12

I guess I'm the exception in that I really enjoyed this episode.  But then I've long grown accustomed to the lack of suspense when it comes to the steals.  What is important is that we got a lot of good performances.  Moushumi gave one of the best performances so far this season and the two other women who got through were pretty good.  I also thought all three battles ranged from good to great.

I am also tired of them repeating the same songs season after season.  Both Maybe I´m Amazed and It's a Man's, Man's World should be permanently retired from The Voice.  When a song has been done 4, 5 or 6 times in 10 seasons, including some truly outstanding all time great The Voice performances, enough is enough.  But at least all four contestants who performed those two songs in this episode did a very good job and the two steals were well deserved.

I find it encouraging that the level of talent this season is very deep; more like Season 9 than last season.  I'm also enjoying Christina more than I have in the past.  She's a completely different person when she's really enjoying herself compared to the way she acts when she seems bored.  

Guess he's never seen a Bollywood movie.

Ditto to "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "It's a Man's World" needing to be banned forever. But the reason why they're both annoying is the reason why they get picked for battle rounds. Because they encourage shouting. That's the easiest approach to take to a battle. See which singer can out glory note the other.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
To end on an episode note--totally loved Moushumi and the spin she put on "Wicked game".

Her voice was gorgeous.  I think she just became my favorite of the female vocalists. 

Yeah, that was a real WTF moment.

I was torn between Katie and Ryan but I did think she would get stolen.  Ryan was my favorite male singer from the blinds so I'm glad they're both still in it.

Ditto on It's a Man's World.  Enough already!  Please. Tied with Chain of Fools for never, ever again.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 2

Man's world doesn't bother me nearly as much as somebody I used to know, especially since some singers didn't even get the point of that song.

The Dr is probably my favorite singer, but I've learned a long time ago not to get too invested in that type of singer when they're on Pharell's team.

I couldn't agree more, but I will still watch.  I would LOVE for the powers-to-be to switch things up by making a second judge country.  Put a Dierks Bentley or Kenny Chesney on there and then it wouldn't be "Blakeville" all of the time.  Singers would have a choice and there aren't 24 talented country singers that come one the show forcing the two country artists to choose singers from other genres.  I get that each judge represents different areas of music--or they are supposed to--but I would rather go with some surprises every now and then to stop this show from getting so stale.  To end on an episode note--totally loved Moushumi and the spin she put on "Wicked game".

I'd take Keith Urban since his current judging gig will end soon ;)

• Love 2

This would be sure way to get me to stop watching this show.  The Voice already has way too much country for my tastes.  I don't even want to think what it would be like if half the judges were country.

• Love 3

I'm surprised by how much I liked Paxton and I was meh about his blind audition. He doesn't have the biggest range but he makes use of whatever he has in a convincing way. I thought it was a great performance. Brittney has a big beautiful voice that I can listen to forever but she wasn't as comfortable on stage as Paxton so I get why he won.

• Love 4
As for the final 5 team additions, Moushumi I liked. I think she could maybe be the Amy Vachal of the season.

I think Mousumi might outdo Amy Vachal at being Amy Vachal-like.

I loved Maybe I'm Amazed since I'm a huge Paul McCartney fan. I thought Adam was wrong to choose Ryan over Katie.

I agree.  For me, Katie won that.  I also wish Christina had picked Malik in It's A Man's Man's World.  I would be much more interested in how she coaches him than his new coach, Pharrell.  Bryan may have had the more precise voice, but he had far less charisma, I thought.  

I can't remember Paxton or Brittney's battle at all.  Not a great sign.

• Love 1

I think Mousumi might outdo Amy Vachal at being Amy Vachal-like.

I agree.  For me, Katie won that.  I also wish Christina had picked Malik in It's A Man's Man's World.  I would be much more interested in how she coaches him than his new coach, Pharrell.  Bryan may have had the more precise voice, but he had far less charisma, I thought.  

I can't remember Paxton or Brittney's battle at all.  Not a great sign.

I agree about Mousami.  I think she just plain has a stronger voice than Amy did.

I liked both Bryan and Katie about evenly.  They bring very different things.  I think it worked out best for all concerned with Katie moving to Blake's team

I definitely remember Paxton.  He may just be the best natural performer this season, plus the package would indicate that he does have a defined artistic vision on how to approach his songs.  His voice isn't that incredible, but he does have an interesting unique tone.  He's not the type of contestant who necessarily does well on this show, but I do think he has the potential for a career in his genre.

Funny thing:

My sister and I were having a conversation the other day talking about which singers on the show we liked. Since neither of us had memorized their names yet, we were referring to them by either their physical attributes or the style of singing. It wasn't until the point where I mentioned that I had really enjoyed hearing Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home" sung after so long that we realized she was talking about American Idol and I was talking about The Voice. The contestants are just that interchangeable.

• Love 1

Mmm, I don't like Maybe I'm Amazed in general. And it felt like they were just screaming at each other.

Just catching up on the show now, and totally with you on the screaming. In fact it seemed every pre-commercial spoiler and post-commercial recap (cuz somehow we weren't watching 5 minutes ago) featured screaming. When did this become singing?

I've quit all the other singing shows so I don't care that they showed Man's World again.

Ahhh I missed the grown-up version from Sisaundra and Biff, which made these two look more like Boys Trying to Make It in a Man's World.

Also it's a great Battle song because they can play off each other, instead having a plain song where two people "take turns" singing.

• Love 2