Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Double Dating Duggars

I had popcorn for a snack today, my family loves it.  I didn't have a film crew either.  .  LOL

I'd love to see another boy get in on the courting.  Now that they've opened the gates I'd encourage all of age Duggars  to run out of that house fast.

• Love 3

I had popcorn for a snack today, my family loves it.  I didn't have a film crew either.  .  LOL

I'd love to see another boy get in on the courting.  Now that they've opened the gates I'd encourage all of age Duggars  to run out of that house fast.

That's very true.  We didn't get to see much of Smuggar's courtship.  Plus, John David is what, 24?  Time to get breedin' boy!

• Love 1

They only showed us a couple things of Josh's courtship like a probably restaged phone call.  Mostly it began with the proposal and then we saw the engagement and wedding.

LOL that reminds me, it also shows the class difference and lack of imagination between the Bates and Duggars

Bates engagements?  Over the top, romantic, personalized.  Duggar?  Anna got balloons at a gator themed restaurant.  And Jessa got asked for courtship while her beloved held a Styrofoam cup. 

Come on, Duggar girls!  Let the Bates set up your dates

• Love 1

Speculation, but from the way Jill seemed in the preview about the man she's in love with and has never met, maybe that dude will up the ante. Poor Ben doesn't know enough to do something spectacular, but maybe Jill's guy will? I'm rooting for Jill all the way.

• Love 1

Excuse me, but what the hell is Anna doing with building a playhouse? THAT'S A MAN'S JOB. Get back to toilet birthin', hussy.

So super-excited to see Jill fix a snack. This truly is appointment television.

• Love 5

Oh my word, the "double date!"  JimBoob sucking his wife's face and asking "does this turn you on?"  I would have been so embarrassed if I were Jessa.  And grilling them about how far they plan to go physically?  If this was a real relationship, they would have some privacy and be allowed to make their own decisions.

And the dry humping?  Excuse me while I go poke out both my eyes with a sharp stick.

• Love 6

I see that the Duggars will be making a Bates wedding all about themselves next episode. Michelle talking about how the "Bates" are our close friends. "Bateses", you idiot.

I just watched tonight's episode. While I don't think Anna deserves high praise for raising three small children because people do that all the time, and without a camera crew, I do have to say that her kids look cleaner and happier than her little in-laws. She interacts with them nicely, and they look like she at least combs their hair.

Moving far away from the dog and pony show was a good thing.

• Love 2

Could JimBoob be more obnoxious.  I would have been too tempted on taking the golf club and beating him over the head with it or push him in the pond nearby.  And Mullet, I would not be too proud to boast about being able to do the deed with JimBoob. 

I was kind of surprised Boob could pick up J'Chelle and spin around with her like that. I don't like Jessa or Ben, but it was kinda mean of Boob to be all over her right in front of them. Then again, they don't seem to have a difficult time abstaining from the scandalous notion of holding hands. After all, hand holding leads to kissing, and we all know what kissing leads to....baby makin' right there on the miniature golf course. I find it strange that at 18 year old guy wants zero contact whatsoever, and she pipes up that she's "not really touchy feel-y," and we're talking about just hand holding here.

• Love 2

Why do they keep explaining what a side hug is?  I think it's pretty self-explanatory.  Do they really think their views are that stupid?

I feel so badly for Ben & Jessa.  That is the most awkward date ever!! I'd want to hide in the water.  No wonder they had that painful look on their faces.

The double date was staged and dumb.  The whole Bessa relationship looks like a classic setup for failure.  Homemade pickles never taste great unless they ferment for months.....  Nice idea but again a major staged TLC/Duggar fail...

(edited)

I guess I don't think of hand holding as particularly touchy feely. Yikes, good luck Ben. I hope Jessa is warmer towards her own children. 

Did James describe Joy as curvy or groovy? I didn't understand what he said and nothing I come up with makes sense. Strange that Joy is still on a buddy team and not running her own. I bet she takes over Jill's when she is married, maybe even the younger ones on Jessa's. What are the other buddy teams? 

ETA: and seriously, Jessa doesn't have time to do her chores because she's courting? Does she do nothing but text Ben all day long? What the hell kind of excuse is that?!

Edited by Jenniferbug

Oh my word, the "double date!"  JimBoob sucking his wife's face and asking "does this turn you on?"  I would have been so embarrassed if I were Jessa.  And grilling them about how far they plan to go physically?  If this was a real relationship, they would have some privacy and be allowed to make their own decisions.

And the dry humping?  Excuse me while I go poke out both my eyes with a sharp stick.

Aaaannnd.... I'll have to FF. *barf* (Thanks for the heads up!)

Serious question: how is this not defrauding? I can't wrap my head around a fundie sect that won't allow boys to wear shorts when running a race, but will allow married couples to do this, and on national television no less. A married couple that is the public face of Gothardism, to boot.

Pickles, pickles, pickles. At least we know the kids won't be in danger of low sodium levels.

• Love 2
(edited)

I felt myself pitying the Smuggar children last night.  While Anna seems to be a really good mom aaaaaaaaaaaaaand all that, those poor kids seem terribly isolated!  They chose a rental out in the extreme suburbs or country somewhere, lengthening Smuggar's commute and increasing their expenses, far away from any stimulation or activities -- even a park with, heaven forbid, other children to play with.  And now they're going to be homeschooled?  I realize Anna plans to have a bazillion kids, but sitting indoors doesn't look like much fun to me.  Did I hear Smuggar say, "DC is no Arkansas, but we're getting used to it"?  LOL!  Seriously, I think it's sad that they moved so far away from an extended family that would've been a ton of fun for those adorable three kids.

Agree that Dill seems genuinely in love.  Matchmaking works as well as any other method of meeting someone.  They even look alike!

Benessa is just...strange...

Edited by all4mom

Love Bessa primping in front of the mirror instead of doing her chores (which were...what?  organizing the house???)...  It's pretty clear she's engaged -- wait for it -- and will be leaving the nest soon.  Joyless Anna must step up to the plate.  Alas, the little ones see her as an equal, not an authority figure.  This should be interesting to watch, if painful.

I can't stand watching the older girls with their little buddies. Those children should be taken care of by their parents. Take care of your kids, they are your responsibility! Instead JimBoob and J'Chelle are spending their time all over each other. And I don't buy the reason that they want to show their kids that they love each other and also that they're showing them what they have to look forward to when they are married. It makes me uncomfortable to see - I can't imagine how those poor kids feel!

• Love 4

Jim Bob's "does that turn you on" comment was wildly inappropriate!  The kissing? Meh'.  But, standing behind your wife in a suggestive, doggy-style position while stroking her and asking if his "putting it in the hole" turned her on was just over-the-top creepy.  

I honestly don't think Ben and Jessa will work.  Ben is too young and too scared of physical contact and Jessa is too smug and critical.  I wanted to see a spark and I just don't see it between she and Ben.  

Jill and her guy at least have a spark.  JILL seems happy (even if I think this whole courtship thing is unhealthy).  

• Love 1

When Michelle sat down to learn how to play chess with one of her sons (cannot keep up with the names...J-something ;>) she said something like "usually I'm expecting but now that I'm not, altho' I wish I were, I need to spend some time with my son".  Really?  First of all, it would be a miracle if her uturus hasn't fallen out after delivering 19 babies and this woman still wants another child?  I thought about that and came to the conclusion that Michelle being pregnant is probably a major turn-on for Jim Bob (as if he needed anything to turn him on; someone needs to put saltpeter in his food each day)...and she enjoys having that kind of power over him.  This episode is the first I've watched in quite a while (just couldn't take it any longer--needed a break) so I was surprised to see the girls' skirts even shorter (and no longer the dark denim material--progress!)

• Love 2

An eighteen year old guy that doesn't want physical contact with his girlfriend?? That seems off. Maybe the reason is because Ben knows touching would get him too "excited". Jessa is so cold and doesn't care about anyone's feelings, so she'd probably embarrass him in front of everybody.

What was up with JimBob and Michelle? I thought Jill was inviting them to actually speak with Derrick, not to sit awkardly off camera and eaves-drop. Derrick never acknowledged them. Did he even know they were there? Or was he ignoring them on purpose? I hope so.

• Love 1

So awkward. I think that defined the entire episode for me. Michelle should have planted Jim Bob in one of the ponds.

Viewership for this episode was 1.846 M viewers and a .6 rating.

Do they "do it" during pregnancy?  If not, maybe THAT explains Michelle's hankering for more babies.  Again, this is the norm where I live (in the south); babies, babies, and more babies.  First your own, and then the grandbabies, as if life wouldn't be worth living without them.  So odd!

They definitely do it during pregnancy. I have only seen the show a handful of times, but I have a very specific, very squicky memory of Jim Bob talking about "cervical softening."

Edited by Portia

It was yet another time of Jim Bob acting worse than the average 16 year old boy.  He has never grown up and at this point I doubt he ever will.  The instructor asked him to shut up if I'm remembering right.

I'm currently in bed, shaking, thinking of the softening. I can't even muster up the courage to curl my hair properly. Oh the humanity.

You know as much PDA as JB & M'hell enjoy it's amazing they didn't conceive in public at least once. I still can't imagine constantly & consistently having someone listen in on all my conversations with my intended. As skeevy as these quasi-arranged marriages can feel to me, I also end up feeling sorry for the kids involved.

• Love 3

No kidding....those two are like a pair of high schoolers the way they're constantly all on top of each other, and it makes me wonder if the reason that Jessa's definitely not in the mood for PDA with Ben is because she's seen too much of that from her parents.

• Love 2

Late to the game here, but that episode was awkward as all. Man, oh man. I will admit, though, that Jill's Derick has me intrigued. I can't wait to see more of them. Benessa, on the other hand, I can live without. They are definitely not for each other. Jessa seemed like she hated being around him. Maybe that's just how she is, as others have said she's "standoffish", but I just don't see things working out happily for them.

Serious squick factor this episode. Sexy-times on the mini-golf course. I was so embarrassed for these people.

I have never made pickles but I remember my mom making them. She always used the short pickle looking pickles for pickles definately not cucumbers.

I was glad that Anna could put that playhouse together herself. I would not have had the patience with the kids bothering me all the time. But do you dress your kids in white to go out and play?

• Love 1

Those short pickle looking things are cucumbers. They are generally called pickling cucumbers. However, the large slices of pickles come from sliced larger cucumbers. A lot of the refrigerator recipes call for larger slices.