Type keyword(s) to search

Sense8 In The Media

I hope we get some casting or something soon. Unless something's changed, it's due later this year, and there hasn't been any word in months.

Ah, here we are: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2014/02/netflixs-sense8-details-and-a-new-comic-from-j-michael-straczynski.html

How far along are you in the process?

We're playing a lot of it very close to the vest, so we can't talk about a lot of it. In broad strokes, at this moment, we are almost done with all the scripts and the long process of refining all the different cultures we're going to be using in the course of the show and making sure the scripts are just tight and really refined. The last scripts should be finalized by the end of [February].

We start shooting in late June, early July, starting with San Francisco. We'll be shooting in a number of different countries -- the U.S.; London; Berlin; Seoul, South Korea; Iceland; Mexico City; Nairobi and Mumbai, which is amazing.

We're in the process of prepping now, we have location scouts working overtime to find really good places locations for the shoot. We have a casting director doing a bunch of casting now, holding auditions, narrowing down our possibilities. It's going to be a big show and the cool thing about it is no one's ever done this kind of thing before.
Edited by ApathyMonger

A lot of these critics will eat their words in a couple of years. I remember GOT received a muted reception too but you wouldn't guess it now that it's a cultural phenomenon. The fan reaction I've seen on the interwebs (twitter & reddit, for example) is enthusiastic about Sense8 but by the time the major outlets truly jump on the bandwagon 3 seasons of this show will have passed. As with Marco Polo, I just hope Netflix doesn't sorely rely on critics reaction to make renewal decisions.

• Love 4

A bit too late but:

Thursday July 9, 2015 5:00pm – 6:00pm

The very first panel discussion of this new series, hosted by co-creator/writer and executive producer J. Michael Straczynski.

Did anyone watch the panel? Did they discuss what the possibilities were for the show being renewed? I don't know exactly how Netflix operates but it seems they usually renew shows pretty soon after they release them, so it's curious there's been no word yet. I'd lament an early demise for this show... it wasn't perfect but the most important aspect for a television show was there for me... emotional investment with the characters. And I appreciate the diversity and ambition of the production. I'd be concerned an early demise would be used as an excuse by suits to squash diversity in future projects.

• Love 3

Netflix's silence about renewal is concerning. They renewed Daredevil pretty quickly, and OITNB and other pretty safe shows generally get confirmed pretty quickly as well. Last week they dumped a lot of infor about their upcoming movies. That's a lot of recent press releases, all not mentioning Sense8. I'm pretty worried to be honest, I think the combination of production costs and less than enthusiastic reception from critics is having an effect.

I think the combination of production costs and less than enthusiastic reception from critics is having an effect.

On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a 92% approval rating from viewers and a 69% "fresh" rating from professional critics. My impression is that most of the pro critics wrote their reviews based on the first three episodes released for review, which is a shame—I think it's the shared song sequence in the fourth episode where the viewer truly gets hooked on the transcendent possibilities of the cluster's connection. It's a beautiful scene that presages the even more amazing concert/births scene to come. Some critics seemed to have faith that the premise could go such cool places by ep 3, and some didn't think a slow build was worth slogging through to get there.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/sense8/s01/

I am really, really hoping that Netflix approves all four of the planned seasons following this one, but I suspect it is more their own knowledge of the viewing numbers than critical reception that is influencing them.

• Love 3

Yesterday, I read that Sense8 was being discussed favorably for a second season.  Of course, I was at work and couldn't post it here and now can't find it.  So, I'm not surprised by the news and that it is very guarded.  Not secretively, I don't mean that.  I mean, no one is popping champagne corks or opening the caviar.  I just read that it was in positive discussions.  I'll try to find the link today.  Don't hold out any hope -- it was just a twitter "sideline".

I wonder if part of the reason it's taking so long is that Netflix is worried about the budget. Shooting almost wholly on location can't be cheap. Maybe they don't think it's popular enough for the cost, which would be a huge bummer. I need Season 2 like breathing

• Love 4

I was too! They kept delaying and delaying and I was starting to think it wouldn't happen.

Then I started to hear rumors about what might happen on 8/8 because it was the sensates birthday and I thought "who would announce a renewal on a Saturday?!"

But they did! And it's great! I cannot wait to see what happens in s2.

• Love 2

To think, I was so convinced the show wouldn't be renewed and instead they were just waiting until their birthday to announce it. Thanks for making us all sweat, folks!

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2
Then I started to hear rumors about what might happen on 8/8 because it was the sensates birthday and I thought "who would announce a renewal on a Saturday?!"

I completely forgot when the Sense8s common birthday -- which does make today's announcement all the more timely.

• Love 1

Have you all seen this: http://www.netflix.com/watch/80062064?

It's called "Creating a World" and it is so freakin fantastic!!!!!  Only one problem: I want Season 2 NOW!!!!

An eye opener. I now think that the editors are the unsung heroes of this show but I loved that their input was highlighted. The idea that one scene is shot in different countries, weeks apart - and there are sooooo many such scenes -  yet they manage to put it all together seamlessly.

The switcheroo trick is quite neat too. Just jumping into a scene when the camera pans around and still be ready to hit the right character notes must be a thrilling challenge for the actors. In fact it looked like they were having so much fun, and they've become genuine friends which comes across on the screen.

Now that we're definitely getting season 2, the wait has just become unbearable. When I thought cancellation was imminent, I was all patient but now? That must be a paradox surely. Another reason to celebrate: because this is Netflix, renewing once means that we should now get all 5 intended seasons, no? I don't see the quality dipping or the fan passion cooling. Just like GOT or BSG, by the time mainstream gets into this we'd have binged the 3rd season.

• Love 5

I watched that yesterday and I thought it was really interesting how the cast just traveled from country to country shooting some of the same scenes over and over.

It was really cool watching the way they made those quick changes between characters. Really cool.

And the editing crew needs an emmy STAT

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

This is a link to an article about the Wachowskis having said something controversial, or at least that's what my notes say it is. I thought I had gotten it from this forum, but looking again, I see that's not the case.

Anyway, I can't get the page to load, and I can't remember enough about it to try to find it or another article on the same subject by doing a search.

I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the link, and might have some idea what it's about, so I could try to find out more?

http://opusnews.com/2015/04/05/trans-100-show-cracks-of-divide-advocates-demand-organizers-apologize

If you Google "opus news sensate Wachowskis controversy," this response pops up:

An Open Letter to Trans Communities and our Co-Conspirators

The gist of the issue this author has with Lana's speech:

She proceeded to specifically name African Americans as a barrier to passing gender neutral bathroom legislation, appropriated Two-Spirit/First Nations/Indigenous community language, stating, “We are the one tribe that’s a part of every tribe,” conflated trans identity with racial/ethnic identities and compared the African American Civil Rights Movement and its hardships to the present day trans movement.

This speech was the very “eradication of otherness” she attempted to discuss. Her anti-Black statements were not only disrespectful, but also tarnished the award for Black recipients and non-Black recipients of color; poor and working class recipients; recipients with disabilities; and all recipients who live intersectionally.

I am so sick and tired of people trying to set one community against another in the name of intersectionality.  ."Tribe" has been used for years now as a way to identify certain types of confirmation bias and echo chambers.  Evangelicals, tea party members, radical liberals, all have "tribal" shibboleths and memes.  

"[she] compared the African American Civil Rights Movement and its hardships to the present day trans movement."  You mean, just like the gay community did? When black leaders spoke out and said the struggle is the same?  That comparison?  

"In addition to Wachowski’s speech, seating for those with various bodies, disabilities, and needs was not clearly designated, and the ASL translation was not visually accessible by the community it meant to serve."  This is somehow Wachowski’'s fault.

"famous, wealthy, able-bodied white" -- Shame on Wachowski’!  How dare such a person speak to the trans community!  This is the same mentality that shut down Bernie Sander's speech about a month ago.  This woman wants to act as a gate-keeper, to decide who is "authentic" enough to speak for the trans community.

I've got two words for her, and the second is "you"!

Dang. My response just got eaten. Hopefully this gets through, hah.

I should have made it more clear in the link I posted, but that essay wasn't written by a "her." It was written as a statement from several groups of people, including some of the award winners. The piece is addressing some concerns regarding the ceremonies and the organization that put on the award ceremony, and asking some earnest questions about how it can be more inclusive to people of color, people with disabilities, and people in poverty.

I haven't read a transcript of her speech, so I can't go into specifics, obviously, but a white person appropriating non-white culture, terms, and political movements while also laying major blame on one of those communities as being the most transphobic is not okay. Not only is it not constructive, it's also a bit rich coming from a wealthy white person of privilege who probably doesn't spend a lot of time involved or interacting with that community.

The main quandaries of this piece, addressing Lana's statements at the event, which apparently offended quite a few people:

How do we eliminate appropriation of images, language, customs, and traditions of indigenous communities by white trans movements? Contrary to Ms. Wachowski’s comments, trans people are not a “tribe”; we are all very different and that is our strength. We ask that white trans movements recognize we have fundamentally different identities and struggles.

What does it mean for white trans movements to simultaneously appropriate from the legacy of the Black liberation movement in order to construct their political identity while also demonizing Black people for being the most cissexist? The Black liberation movement is not over. Many queer and trans movements position themselves as the “next frontier of Civil Rights,” erasing the continued reality of anti-Black violence. For many, these movements and identities are not mutually exclusive, but are happening concurrently.

Word to that last paragraph. Again, hopefully this is a positive learning experience for her and the group. It sounds like she upset a lot of people, and they have a right to say something. The Trans Rights Movement is a relatively new one that is still working on finding a voice or pockets of voices that will make a difference, so of course there are going to be clashes and discussions on what the movement needs to be right now.

Edited by Hamatron
  • Love 2

I should have made it more clear in the link I posted, but that essay wasn't written by a "her." It was written as a statement from several groups of people, including some of the award winners.

And I should have read the by-line more carefully.

It's just that I saw this same dynamic in the 60's -- energy that should be spent on the cause being used to determine who is "authentic enough".

• Love 2

No worries! I hear 'ya.

But they're not debating who is authentic enough. They're not saying Lena W. is less trans than others or that she shouldn't express her opinions (though they obviously reserve the right to call her out when she says dumb things). They are addressing concerns about an organization, that is supposed to be inclusive, courting publicity from white celebrities who say ignorant things. If the aim of the organization is to be open and supportive of trans people who are also POC or living in poverty or living with disabilities, then certainly those people have a right to address that organization for struggling or outright failing to do so. Basically, they don't want the trans movement to be whitewashed, because a lot of trans people aren't white Americans.

Anyway, way out of scope here. Again, hopefully Lana heard what they are saying and took something positive from it. It sounds like she messed up, but it happens. She and others can learn from this.

The Trans Rights Movement is a relatively new one that is still working on finding a voice or pockets of voices that will make a difference, so of course there are going to be clashes and discussions on what the movement needs to be right now.

Disagree on trans rights movement being relatively new. What is new is an increase of visibility in mainstream media. But I agree that it sounded like Lana messed up, seemed it was poorly worded.

Yeah, you are totally right. It's not new. I guess it just seems, at least in the U.S., that awareness and the movement in general has gotten stronger in the past 10 years or so. But you're right. That doesn't mean it's new!

Ignorant Indian majority person jumping in, but I don't get the objection? She was wrong calling the trans folks a tribe because only actual tribal (or ex-tribal like African Americans) can call themselves a tribe. And she can't call out the African American community as being more anti-trans than most, not because it is an incorrect statement to make (is it? Or isn't it), but as the African Americans are still being discriminated against, we shouldn't call them/their culture/their tribe specially out for anything. Did I understand the gist of the argument correctly?

What they heck? The comment is back, hah.

Anyway, no. That is not what they are saying. The group is saying that trans people are individuals across many different cultures, classes, religions, countries, abilities, life experiences, and so forth. Tribe doesn't work, because trans people are a broad group of individuals with a variety of needs and struggles.

Is it offensive? People found it offensive, so I guess so. Personally, I see why it's cliche and simplistic and doesn't really work for people. Though the idea behind it might be genuine and well-intentioned.

And anytime you call an entire group of people "the worst for X" it's going to be controversial and offensive. How did she, a rich white lady working in Hollywood, quantify the data to come to this conclusion? There are many different African American communities and individuals across the US. That's pointing a finger at a lot of people she probably doesn't know. It's also counter-productive language in that it places African Americans/AA communities in active opposition to trans rights, which in reality is not always -- often not -- the case.

Edited by Hamatron

I've been thinking about the "tribe" thing,and Lena was more right than the groups complaining.  "Tribe" has been used by any number of people for YEARS to mean a confederation of people held together by common ideas and/or goals.  Want proof: "The Tribe has spoken." Used on Survivor without complaint for 15 years.  It's a little late to put a fence around that word!

• Love 1