Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Keeping It 100

• Start Topic

Bianca said on Instagram this morning that she was on set filming "Hurricane Bianca" when this challenge was done. So yeah, working. :D

I don't think I believe her.  The fact that Ru had her stand in be a circus clown, a very basic circus clown, speaks volumes.  Schedules can be worked around and to have all the past winners there except Bianca would piss me off if I was Ru.

• Love 1

I don't think I believe her.  The fact that Ru had her stand in be a circus clown, a very basic circus clown, speaks volumes.  Schedules can be worked around and to have all the past winners there except Bianca would piss me off if I was Ru.

I don't think there is anything amiss. "Hurricane Bianca" is basically a "Go Fund Me" project and I'm assuming that schedules/access to props and locations were probably pretty tight. I believe it was filmed in Texas, so she would have to take a whole day to fly back out to LA, do the photoshoots, then go back, and on a production with a tiny budget, losing a day of production is a big deal.

I don't think Ru was being too shady with the clown - Bianca refers to herself as a clown all the time, and she reposts/retweets pictures of clowns that the other queens/fans send to her all, "Love your new look, Bianca!" all the time, so I don't think she would be offended by it, and Ru was only making a joke Bianca has made about herself dozens of times.

• Love 8

Hurricane Bianca was filmed in Dallas. BDR was staying at my friend's aparment building.

Bob vs. Derrick will be interesting. They both use boy names, both are relatively established outside the show, and both are their only "types" this season (a comedy queen and a Vegas impersonators). It reads like Bob knows competition when he sees it.

I don't know why Betty and Robbie were acting so stank. Post-Tyra, stank queens do not win this show! Violet was kinda rude at the beginning of her season, but after she kept getting picked last she worked to improve her interpersonal relations with her castmates.

• Love 2

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, unless Bianca was in on the shady joke and found it as funny as Ru did.  But, I don't just believe that Bianca was innocently working, and Ru would shade her with that clown.  And I find it odd that Bianca couldn't fly in for one day of taping.  I do love Bianca though, and I love Ru so I hope those two beautiful, wacky bitches can work it out!

No big girls, and are any of them fan favorites?

in my dream season of RPDR, its because they bring back LaTrice Royale and automatically crown her the winner!

• Love 2

Preach! I love Latrice. She needs her own show. I don't even care what she does. 

me too!  She can just sit around and talk and tell me stories.  Or interview queens Oprah style.  I just like her so much.  My favorite queen!  I love seeing her, and it says something that Ru brings her back EVERY season for something.

• Love 4

They should have Latrice recap the RPDR episodes, but voice over, so we can hear her voice and her laugh.

I would LOOOOOOVE that.  Anything for more Latrice, but I think she would be great for something like that.

• Love 1
(edited)

So much nerdy awesomeness this season, this is going to be great. Man, I wish Katya had been cast in this season, I think she was have benefited from queens who may have better understood the kind of kooky looks she favors and helped course correct her when necessary. Dying for Dax as Storm. Insta-fan of Kim Chi for that cowardly lion couture. 

Derrick's screwed, I think. Michelle is going to ride him all season for "looking like Britney" when he will probably be no more or less versatile than the standard issue pageant queens they issue every season...or Courtney Act for that matter. 

Between the show and Untucked, Bob seems like Bianca 2.0 in personality. I really liked his idea to critique the safe girls while they were waiting backstage. Getting feedback, any feedback, that can help you is a great idea. Chi Chi is adorable, I hope she manages despite lack of wardrobe.

Didn't think much of Laila until that lip sync. I thought she killed it. Naysha did look exactly like the hip soccer mom. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 6

Naysha was gorgeous, no doubt. But that lackluster LSFYL and no sewing ability?

Sewing..schmewing! She just plain gave up. These challenges are not about being able to work a Singer (just ask Tyra or Ben). They're about thinking outside the box, and being creative. The pretty, well sewn dresses were in the middle. The top was the stuff with thought behind it that was probably far more about a glue gun and duct tape. Had Bob worked some curtain hardware into his, or Dax done more than create a collar of Kitties on a cute little mini - they could well have joined the top group. That said, Thorgy was robbed. Ain't no way Naomi or Derrick topped that look.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, unless Bianca was in on the shady joke and found it as funny as Ru did.  But, I don't just believe that Bianca was innocently working, and Ru would shade her with that clown.  And I find it odd that Bianca couldn't fly in for one day of taping.  I do love Bianca though, and I love Ru so I hope those two beautiful, wacky bitches can work it out!

in my dream season of RPDR, its because they bring back LaTrice Royale and automatically crown her the winner!

Per her Facebook, Bianca seems to have found the clown thing hilarious. I do believe she wasn't able to get back that day, because she did a lot of the pre-season 8 events the queens were doing and was at the premiere party so I truly don't think there is any bad blood. 

I cannot wait to see this crew on Snatch Game. I think the smartest move Derrick could make would be NOT to do Britney.

• Love 3

Derrick's screwed, I think. Michelle is going to ride him all season for "looking like Britney" when he will probably be no more or less versatile than the standard issue pageant queens they issue every season...or Courtney Act for that matter. 

I think so too, but Ru wants more Britney from Derrick.  Which I thought was very interesting because Michelle's critique was expected, Ru's surprised me.   I don't know much about Derrick's drag, but I just read she does Gaga as well.  So that will likely be her alternative look since she prides herself on "pop star drag."  

Per her Facebook, Bianca seems to have found the clown thing hilarious. I do believe she wasn't able to get back that day, because she did a lot of the pre-season 8 events the queens were doing and was at the premiere party so I truly don't think there is any bad blood. 

I cannot wait to see this crew on Snatch Game. I think the smartest move Derrick could make would be NOT to do Britney.

Okay.  I can understand that.  Bianca seems like the sort of shady, self-deprecating queen that can laugh at herself.  if thats the case I suspect she might have been in on the joke from the start.

I feel like Derrick has to do Britney for Snatch Game!  I was thinking about it the other day....I think Derrick has to do Britney very sparingly, as per Michelle.  But he has to still do her, per Ru.  So, I think his best move would be to completely stop doing anything even remotely related to Britney, or looking like Britney for almost every challenge up until Snatch Game.  But then she has to do the very best Britney out there.

• Love 5

Yeti that walk, Miss Thing!!

Of the entrances, I was underwhelmed by Naysha and Cynthia ... Cynthia in particular is beginning to grate on me... particularly with that frog chirp thing from out of nowhere.  Like the re-capper, I love a queen that is secure enough to conceal her face for her entry... Raja, Alaska, Vivacious, and now Acid Betty... 

Of the photos, my favorites, in no particular order were Kim Chi, Robbie Turner, and Derrick Berry... Naomi took a good picture, but I didn't like it because it was aesthetically out of balance.  

Of the challenge - I felt bad for Robbie in "forgetting" to assign himself a category, but I think the categories were assigned well... and like everyone else I'm aghast at a queen coming to this competition and not knowing how to do at LEAST a simple tube dress... all you need is one straight stich for heaven's sake. So for that sin, See Ya Naysha... you were gorgeous and beat for the gods... but, god I can't believe I'm going to quote Phi2, this show isn't about who can buy the best clothes... it takes other skills as well.

(edited)

I gave up on last season very early because the season just felt sad honestly.

What a different a new season makes.  I immediately loved a bunch of the queens and didn't outright hate anyone. Well...

except Derrick.  Britney Spears is on my irrational celebrity hate list so I am pre-disposed to dislike Derrick.  Also I thought her runway look was over-praised.  No way she should have bee in the top 3. It was a crop top and a skirt.  Laila's jacket construction felt like it had more thought.  I hope she isn't this season's teacher pet.

Kim Chi won me over completely.  She was on my 'meh' list at first but such a strong showing, plus some real wit in her talking heads charmed me.

Bob is also immediately likeable  I especially love the 'The Drag Queen' is the family name and her quoting Paris is Burning "It is a known fact that a lady do carry a [bag] to dinner!'  LOVE IT!

I liked Chi Chi's unapologetic country ass.  She is totally that  Black Southern low country aesthetic that Beyonce is references in her Formation video. I am here for this.

And finally I liked that everyone was shady enough to be entertaining but there didn't seem to be any overt malice or just plain old mean bitchery.  How very refreshing.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8
(edited)

Just watched Untucked and I almost died at Chi Chi's "Abilene, can you get me a sandwich?" during Bob's backstage runway for the other safe girls but I LIVE for Bob's singsong reply "Miss Hilly" complete with putting that purse under her arm and totally changing her body language when she said it. Loved Bob from the get go but I'm officially Bob's Bitch now! LOL

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 5

Bob's dress was under-appreciated, I thought.  Queen made that without a pattern.  Fitted top, peter pan collar, the circle skirt, even the clutch with the tie-back accents.  In the original gone with the window challenge, that dress would have been top 3. "I can stitch things together". That's about as disingenuous as Ben DeLaCreme's denial of British accent mastery. And I love it.

• Love 9

Thorgy Thor is another one of my favorites. Her runway look was too safe, but her antics at the photo shoot were hilarious. Darrick Barry's already working my last nerve. The only way her "Snatch Game" Britney Spears would impress me would be if she shaved her head. If Chad Michaels shows that there's a right way to be a one-trick pony, then something tells me that Darrick will show that there's a wrong way.

I liked Naysha, but between her runway look and her LSFYL performance, she deserved to go home. She tried to rest on pretty and it failed. The top half of Laila's outfit worked, but the bottom should have included a ripped skirt/pants or have her bare legs covered in bloody wounds in a shout-out to Sharon Needles "RuPocalypse" runway look. However, Laila's LSFYL was awesome and she deserves to stay, for at least another week.

Regarding Robbie's runway look, all tea, all shade and no pink lemonade, it was a hot mess. She looked like a used tampon with dog biscuits on top. The dog looked way better. If it wasn't for Robbie's photo, she would've been lip-synching for her life.

• Love 2

Last season, I watched 1 or 2 Untucked and decided I didn't like the format or whatever. So I wasn't even going to watch this season's Untucked, but I'm home with a sick kid so I gave it a whirl. Now I realize that it wasn't Untucked's format change that turned me off last year, it was the talent! I loved this Untucked - and I really don't dislike any of the queens right now with the exception of feeling a little meh about Derrick.

• Love 4

Last season, I watched 1 or 2 Untucked and decided I didn't like the format or whatever. So I wasn't even going to watch this season's Untucked, but I'm home with a sick kid so I gave it a whirl. Now I realize that it wasn't Untucked's format change that turned me off last year, it was the talent! I loved this Untucked - and I really don't dislike any of the queens right now with the exception of feeling a little meh about Derrick.

It totally was the 'talent' gods it was all so awful.  Lets just pretend that it never happened.

Also, how sad was it that Naysha was all "I'm going to lose bookings... " I don't think that holds true categorically for the queens across the "eliminated first" contingent.. but I may be basing that solely off of how well I see Penny Tration doing.

• Love 1

I was also pleasantly surprised at how entertaining this Untucked was. Remember last season when we'd have episodes where everyone would leave to go outside to smoke and we were left watching Kennedy nap on the couch?

I don't know if Bob was prompted by the producers to suggest they play runway critique with each other, but it worked because they were all so entertaining. It was also nice to see that everyone was generally supportive of one another (like Bob loaning Naysha her iPod to practice for the LSFYL). 

Derrick is the only one who seems to not be feeling the good vibes, and I suspect it is based on insecurities. 

• Love 3
(edited)

So I just watched Untucked.  The safe queens were saying everything I was feeling about the final runway.  Bob is very incisive and Dax ! popped for me in Untucked in a way she hadn't during the episode (even tho I LOVED her Storm cosplay).  And it was such a fun little watch until Derrick walked in.  Holy cow, did she bring the room down.  You could see it in everybody's face.  She was coming hard for Naomi who was just sitting there minding her business.  Seriously, everybody else seemed to be so supportive of each other and Derrick just became stank. 

I was only half-way to pre-disliking her for her Britney proximity.  Now she's charged to the bottom of my list on the merits of her own personality.  Bob's point about her not understanding the difference between a critique of the outfit versus the critique of the person was well made.  And she also completely missed his point about how much make-up can create a look. 

Untucked also made me feel really sorry for poor Naysha.    And now I want a cool, alcoholic beverage!

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1

I forgot to say, I liked Acid Betty coming in and then running around the studio. We've seen the studio on t.v., so to really be there? Why not run around.

I would have thought Britney's breakdown would spell the end of a career impersonating her, but maybe it meant there was a greater need than ever for someone to be her, if she wasn't able to fulfill her duties as herself. 

DollEyes is right, 5150 Britney during the Snatch Game would be worth seeing, but can Derick risk pissing off Britney or her people? Give her an umbrella and she'll wreak more Snatch Game havoc than Jiggly Caliente and Kenya Michaels.

• Love 3

Thank you so much for the answer to what Ru wanted to borrow from Michelle!!!!!! I am fan-girling out right now. In my absurd reality Alaska shows up to compete and takes home the crown. (Winnah forever in my eyes- I know not a favorite of most here.) I wonder if this was a preview for the next episode or the whole season? If the whole season- well, its been done before, bring back X remaining queens- if it happens next episode I'm gagging already!

Hee! Breakdown Britney would be epic. But sadly, Derrick can't risk his livelihood over that. Even if he was guaranteed to win RDR (which I don't think any of think he will), what other skills does he have? (Curious (heh) if anyone knows?) I'm all about the Brit-Brit, and there's a lot of versatile and memorable looks in her repertoire- school girl Brit, Red catsuit/space helmet Brit, Snake on shoulders  Brit/Slave 4 U, Sweats, uggs, ciggies, sunglasses, and starbucks (also known as paparazzi Brit)....and to do a meltdown Brit on the runway would be safer than a Snatch Game breakdown Brit (less likely to be seen by Brit's people) but still too risky IMO. I would love it if each runway he carried a prop that led up to her breakdown. We could start with a bag of blurred out cheetos, then a can of blurred out Redbull, then a ciggie and topknot, then finally an umbrella and razor. But seriously, Derek please don't do Gaga. No one has done her right/justice. Do some other blonde poptart, like Courtney Act. Too bad Willam did Jessica Simpson so well...

Unpopular opinion alert!: Man I was not a fan of the lipsynch. Where was the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent!?!? Holy crap I give better performances alone in my bedroom. (No not in that way! I'm sure they have me beat- oops! I did it again- in that department.) Seriously though, Applause? I would have been giving it a hell of a lot more energy. (To be fair, I'm a very enthusiastic dancer, but STILL!) And I know lips synchs aren't all about energy (see L.Royale) but Applause is a song that is ALL about the energy baby. Yes the non-soccer mom was better, but meh. A lot of it was low-energy with a few nonsensical tricks sprinkled in. I seriously thought it was going to be a double elimination. And soccer mom did not know the lyrics. You're LSFYL on Ep. 100 of Rupaul's Drag Race and that's what you give?!?! BRING IT! If I were the Queen, I would have you both eliminated on the spot! And that goes double for anyone who said they didn't know how to sew. No explanation needed, just sashay away- that will be all.

Sorry I'm terrible with names. I like Dax Exclamationpoint a lot b/c of the Storm references, and I love Bob of course. Betty is not my usual kind of drag, and wasn't she the one that was a little shit during the photo shoot? Any newbie who comes for Sharon can kiss my ass. Though I have my own issues with Sharon, she's a winner- you aren't yet- know you're place in herstory betch.

Really hoping I end up liking this season. I loved Untucked, and I'm liking Bob, Derek, and Dax, but otherwise no one has really clicked for me, and I'm kind of sad about that. I feel like I haven't connected to anyone yet.

Speculations on Snatch Game...heading to appropriate thread.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 2

I"m going to give Acid Betty a lot of leeway on the "wanna be" remarks and the entitlement aura she's projecting...  why?  Because she's been around a lot longer than a lot of the queens, including a lot of the Drag Race winners that she was throwing shade at.  She was iconic enough to be part of one of the challenges on Project Runway back in 2008 (season 1 of Drag Race was 2009) ...  add that to the fact that she really did werk that "Make dat money" challenge ... She's on my short list for at least Top 4

• Love 2

"m going to give Acid Betty a lot of leeway on the "wanna be" remarks and the entitlement aura she's projecting...  why?  Because she's been around a lot longer than a lot of the queens, including a lot of the Drag Race winners that she was throwing shade at.  She was iconic enough to be part of one of the challenges on Project Runway back in 2008 (season 1 of Drag Race was 2009) ...  add that to the fact that she really did werk that "Make dat money" challenge ... She's on my short list for at least Top 4

Yes to all of this PLUS it's the first episode and everyone is trying to get their personality, their schtick, out there.  No time for wallflowers.  Use the t.v. as a form of advertising.  I've noticed in the first few episodes a lot of the queens have a tendency to be over the top and really give 110% so they can be remembered.  So for now everyone gets a free pass on their behavior but I see Acid's attitude wearing me down real quick, especially if it becomes meaner as the season progresses.  We'll see how it goes.....

• Love 1

Kim is a yes to both. She has a huge social media following and she's far from a petite flower. She's at least as big as Roxxxy.

Personally I wouldn't call Kim or Roxxxy big girls. Since if you include them that starts including a bunch of other queens who have what are basically fairly average figures like Kennedy and Sasha last season or Laila this season. Being a big girl is that point where you can't do the same style routine as other queens because you have to find ways to work with your figure.

• Love 4

Why no big girls?  That sure is a first.

favorite line of the night

RU:  "So what is it like being one of the Brooklyn queens?"

ACID BETTY:  "Well I don't really know because I don't work in Brooklyn, I work in Manhattan."

RU:  "is that a read?"

Loved it.  I wish there was a way I could use "read" rather then "criticize or put down" in my day to day office life.  Like at my annual review, my boss would be, 'We think that you should put more effort into your reports."  And I'd be like, "Is that a read?"

• Love 11

I'd say Naomi and Cynthia are both pretty fishy queens.  Chi Chi could be once she gets some polish under her poorly-constructed belt.

Also, Betty didn't come for Sharon, Robbie did.  Betty did put her sleeve in front of Bebe's face though.

I'd say Naomi and Cynthia are both pretty fishy queens.  Chi Chi could be once she gets some polish under her poorly-constructed belt.

Also, Betty didn't come for Sharon, Robbie did.  Betty did put her sleeve in front of Bebe's face though.

No one said that Betty came for Sharon.  Betty did, however, refer to the previous winners as "wannabes":

"Yes, RuPaul, very intimidating... sitting next to these wannabe-ass drag queens."

(Edited to add exact quote.)

Edited by Demented Daisy

Why no big girls?  That sure is a first.

favorite line of the night

RU:  "So what is it like being one of the Brooklyn queens?"

ACID BETTY:  "Well I don't really know because I don't work in Brooklyn, I work in Manhattan."

RU:  "is that a read?"

Loved it.  I wish there was a way I could use "read" rather then "criticize or put down" in my day to day office life.  Like at my annual review, my boss would be, 'We think that you should put more effort into your reports."  And I'd be like, "Is that a read?"

Or you could say "did you just come for me?"

No big girls and no fishy girls, beyond Derrick. I love a fishy queen, or at least a pretty queen with some fun/gorgeous fashion. I didn't see that here.

I am happy because the fishy queens are so damn boring and usually are about as creative as a...well dead fish.

• Love 1
Or you could say "did you just come for me?"

Hee! Even better. And I love opera too!

I am happy because the fishy queens are so damn boring and usually are about as creative as a...well dead fish.

There's a difference between fishy-pageant and just fishy. The one who went last night was the former category.  And I don't know if I'd truly call Willem fishy, with that perpetual 5 o'clock shadow?  Not sure on that.

I consider Manila and Willam, among others, fishy, and they were a lot of fun.

I would not consider either of those two as real fishy queens. Manila would never pass for a woman, her stature was too large, hair and costumes too camp. She wasn't trying to look like a woman so much as a charactature of one. Willam was more real, but also would occasionally not pad, show her man chest/nipples through a costume, etc... And the beard... Came off almost as genderfuck. Ironically the fishyist queens tend to eventually come out as trans. Monica B Hillz, Carmen Carrera, and Kenya Michaels for instance.

• Love 1

I'd like an All Stars of the more gender fuck type queens. Nina Flowers, Ongina, Tammy Brown (although she's in a catagory by herself), Raja, Sharon and Alaska, Detox, April Carion, throw Katya in there for her mind more than her drag, Milk, Trixie...I could go on.

Interestingly, Naomi rocking boy chest reminded me of Willam in the apocalypse challenge. It's a bold move to do that because you can get called out for boy body if you don't do it right. I wonder if Michelle (who hates boy body!!) was okay with it because Nicole Richie loved it so much.

Despite what she says, Michelle seems to have little problem with boy body given she loved Raja unconditionally and Raja only rarely bothered to pad and feminize his body with a lot of flat chested runways and generally never had anything negative to say about Willam's genderfuck looks outside the usual make up complaints. What she doesn't like is badly done boy body. Naomi pulled it off well with a look that was very flat chested high fashion model.

• Love 2

No one said that Betty came for Sharon.  Betty did, however, refer to the previous winners as "wannabes":

Well, actually, Granimal seemed to be wondering if it was Betty who came for Sharon specifically, so I was responding to that.  All  good!

Well, actually, Granimal seemed to be wondering if it was Betty who came for Sharon specifically, so I was responding to that.  All  good!

My bad!  I thought you were talking about another post.

ETA  The funny thing is, the rest of the day, as I was reading each new post that popped up, I kept wondering if I had missed something.  But did I go back and reread, slowly and carefully?  Nope.  What a maroon.

Edited by Demented Daisy
  • Love 1

Can anyone clarify Jinkx's quote after Bob left the photo shoot? She said "I saw the tights and they were real" which I think is a pun on "I saw the lights and they were real", but I don't know the reference.

Can anyone clarify Jinkx's quote after Bob left the photo shoot? She said "I saw the tights and they were real" which I think is a pun on "I saw the lights and they were real", but I don't know the reference.

She actually said, "I saw the tights, and they were ripped," which was a read Mimi Imfirst got on her crazy space outfit in Season 3.

...I do have a life outside of RPDR, I swear.

• Love 3

There have been some references to how Derrick can't afford to piss off Britney. Does he rely on Britney for his livelihood? Does he represent her in some way, or have her seal of approval?

I would not consider either of those two as real fishy queens. Manila would never pass for a woman, her stature was too large, hair and costumes too camp. She wasn't trying to look like a woman so much as a charactature of one. Willam was more real, but also would occasionally not pad, show her man chest/nipples through a costume, etc... And the beard... Came off almost as genderfuck. Ironically the fishyist queens tend to eventually come out as trans. Monica B Hillz, Carmen Carrera, and Kenya Michaels for instance.

Wouldn't that be the opposite of ironic? I would expect the queens who identify as women to be the most likely to try to resemble women.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 1