Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: All Episodes Talk

The two-time Emmy nominated series WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? returns this spring to follow more of today’s most beloved and iconic celebrities as they embark on personal journeys of self-discovery to trace their family trees. The series continues to deliver unbelievable stories from crucial moments in history, including a number of firsts for the series, such as a male witch hunt, and traveling to Portugal, Sweden and Ellis Island. Executive Produced by Lisa Kudrow and Dan Bucatinsky, the new season premieres Sunday, April 3 at 9/8c.

The contributors featured in the upcoming season include:

Scott Foley finds a relative who risked his life for one of America’s founding fathers, and an ancestor who suffered unspeakably during one of this nation’s darkest times.
Lea Michele nails down where her mysterious paternal ancestors came from, and learns of the dire economic circumstances they endured while trying to emigrate to the U.S.
Chris Noth learns his ancestors suffered during one of the greatest catastrophes in American history, and a relative who fought in one of the bloodiest battles of all time.
Molly Ringwald explores family lore of Swedish royalty which uncovers her ancestors’ harrowing lives and a brave woman who forever changed her family’s fate.
Katey Sagal is shocked to learn of her family’s Amish roots, and digs deeper as she realizes the level of dedication to their faith.
Aisha Tyler tracks down her 2x great-grandfather, whose story had been lost over generations, and uncovers an astonishing tale of a prominent ancestor whose struggle to keep his illegitimate son a secret made headlines.

Ancestry, the leading family history company, is teaming up again with TLC as a sponsor of the upcoming season. As part of the show sponsorship, Ancestry provides exhaustive family history research on each of the featured celebrities to help make discoveries possible and build out the story of each episode.

• Love 5

I was shocked they spent the entire hour on one person in Aisha Tyler's tree. She was so hoping he'd be this great civil rights activist of the 1890's but the historians kept warning her that wouldn't be the case but she kept pressing that idea. She also thought he was a great role model for his kids but he ended up living and dying several states away from them. The whole story was kind of puzzling.

I like Aisha Tyler a lot but I found it kind of puzzling how she kept saying she wondered why her ancestor moved back to Texas. His father bought him a ranch! I know Texas probably wouldn't have been the easiest place to live as a bi-racial man, but I think a free ranch would probably be enough to get someone to go.

I love how the celebrities in this show can just randomly pull up and park in front of important government buildings, with no other cars around. 

• Love 6

I love how the celebrities in this show can just randomly pull up and park in front of important government buildings, with no other cars around. 

I just figure they film these things on weekends when the government buildings are closed. You never see anyone in the halls, either.

I thought it was very interesting but unusual that they spent an entire hour almost on one person. I'm looking forward to Molly Ringwald, Chris Noth and Katey Segal. I think the Amish connection will be interesting.

• Love 1

I like Aisha Tyler a lot but I found it kind of puzzling how she kept saying she wondered why her ancestor moved back to Texas. His father bought him a ranch! I know Texas probably wouldn't have been the easiest place to live as a bi-racial man, but I think a free ranch would probably be enough to get someone to go.

I couldn't figure out why she was so puzzled by him living in Texas either, perhaps because she thought all of her family was from the East Coast?  It was clear that his father in DC was paying his bills in Ohio, it's no wonder when his dad gave him the ranch that he moved back.  His mother and brother died at such an early age for him, I thought he was quite lucky his father claimed him, at least financially.

I worked at the museum they went to and thought it was comical that she just pulled up on the street where not only is there no parking but no parking signs.  She also meandered around that snowy garden which is not close to the library building at all, they must've had specific places where they wanted to shoot.  "After she goes to the library, let's have her contemplate in this garden."

• Love 2

I think I want Aisha's blanket-style coat.  

I found her charming all the way through. Especially her "Thank you for being so smart and knowing things!" to the researcher.  I suspect there was some detail left out in the edit, but we got enough to connect the dots.

• Love 1

I could understand her puzzlement about her ancestor choosing to live in Texas.  I can't even being to imagine how difficult and scary it would've been to live in the South during that time as an African American.  I give him props for his bravery.  If it was me, I would've sold the ranch and moved up north.

• Love 1

I don't watch any of the show's Aisha Taylor is on, but I have seen her in interviews and found her to be interesting and likeable. After watching her for an hour, I think I'll stick to enjoying her in small doses. I was getting annoyed by the fast paced way she spoke & how she repeated "Hancock" eleventy billion times. That said, I am jealous of her style and her long perfectly manicured fingers! I wish she was able to go back a little further or looked into another relative. I appreciate that is can be very difficult for African Americans to go back very far.

I found her charming all the way through. Especially her "Thank you for being so smart and knowing things!" to the researcher.  I suspect there was some detail left out in the edit, but we got enough to connect the dots.

Is it me?  I found that remark felt vaguely patronizing.  I know I would feel that way if she said that to me in just that way.  I don't know Aisha Tyler from a hole in the wall but she put me off.  I don't see her as a very humble person.  She felt vaguely narcissistic to me.  Mr. Snarklepuss kept saying stuff like, "Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be to be her assistant?"  or "Can you imagine what a nightmare it would be like to sell her a house?"  etc., etc., etc., all the way through the show.  He had me in stitches.  Mr. Snarklepuss owns his own business and caters to high end clients and he's seen the likes of Ms. Tyler before.....I kept wishing she would just take a chill pill and STFU.  It was like she had 7 cups of coffee all the way through the episode.  I felt like her focus was more on herself than her ancestors.

That said, this was my least favorite episode so far and it didn't even have to do with her.  I felt like there really wasn't as much of a story there.  Usually there is something really gripping or meaningful and this just felt a little ho hum to me.  Then again, I'm just coming off a stellar season of "Finding Your Roots".

I don't know Aisha Tyler from a hole in the wall but she put me off.  I don't see her as a very humble person.  She felt vaguely narcissistic to me.

Not entirely you. She came off to me as, for lack of a better word, "man-splain-y" without being a man. As in, "Hey, PhD historian who has spent years studying such things, let me tell you all about how it was back in the 1860s..."

I don't know Scott Foley from anything he's been in (no interest in any of the shows he's been in) but he seemed super enthusiastic about the whole thing.  I did find it odd when he stated that his Polish wife knew everything there was to know about her family but he knew absolutely nothing. 

He seemed completely clueless on how to get the research started.  He knows enough to try to search the DAR website but it wasn't until he was actually at the DAR that he checked Ancestry.com?  And he checks that website from the DAR.  And he didn't know that it was headquartered in DC. 

I enjoyed Scott Foley's episode, I only ever thought of him as Jennifer Garner's first husband. He did seem clueless about starting the research but it didn't help that his dad seemed clueless about his mother or grandmother's maiden name and the Internet in general.

At least they highlighted two ancestors this time spending an hour on one was tedious last week. Didn't it seem like the first guy gave him a scroll family tree and yet he was surprised to see one from the second researcher?

Overall an interesting story.

I was intrigued by Washington's physical requirements for his guard. He himself was quite tall, wasn't he? Maybe it helped make them more nondescript or something.

I thought Foley walked the thin line between laughing at the preposterous nature of the accusations and showing appropriate compassion for the lives sacrificed in that terrible time. I like that he honored the other victims as well as his ancestor more than once by saying their names alongside his.

I bet he got a lot more info than we were shown. The trials often proved to be proxy wars of old family feuds and prior grudges, so chances are he was on somebody's bad side, or otherwise an outsider. Maybe a weirdo who went around telling fortunes uninvited... Or maybe a guy who was popular and sought out for such things only to be dropped like a hot potato the second he was accused, because having consorted with him might lead to your own accusation.

• Love 3

Scott's enthusiasm and desire to learn about his family was nice. I want to go to Salem & Cambridge& have luck like he did.

Is Margo guy's name or......

I was very envious of Scott Foley having such interesting discoveries (she says, thinking of her family tree of farmers and teachers as far as the records go back). I can't imagine how it would feel to have an ancestor hand-picked by General Washington to serve him, and them boomerang around to finding out that another ancestor played a part in one of the country's most fabled and horrifying scenarios. I did very much appreciate him reading the names of those hanged along with his ancestor. It spoke to me of generosity of character. I also found his giggling about it a bit off-putting, but very very understandable, like what rabbit hole did I just drop into?

Aisha Tyler on The Talk does tend to rattle on so fast she makes caffeine nervous, but she is also capable of being very emotionally honest. I probably like her best of anyone on the show for being genuine.

• Love 4

Is it me?  I found that remark felt vaguely patronizing.  I know I would feel that way if she said that to me in just that way.  I don't know Aisha Tyler from a hole in the wall but she put me off.  I don't see her as a very humble person.  She felt vaguely narcissistic to me.  

I saw her as more self-contained than anything else. I think she had to put on a certain act for the camera, as she mentioned (saying she hoped her great-etc.-grandfather was the general because that was better TV), and while her grief and surprise were real, she also never forgot she was on TV. She's been in the business long enough to know how easily you can be discarded, and there's a certain wall around her as a result.

I was more put off by the disgusting blurbs for the Duggars taking up space on the bottom of the screen than by anything she said or did. I feel dirty ever watching this channel. I really wish someone else would buy this show. I guess they're just grateful to have anyone airing them at all after NBC canceled them.

• Love 3

Scott Foley clearly loved learning about his ancestors, and I can see why... wow, such interesting discoveries, and he also has some great family tree info now as well.  I loved his enthusiasm, and I am sure he really enjoyed sharing this with his dad.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed Scott's episode, although I was a little taken aback by his laughing during the witch stuff. I understand him laughing at the absurdity of the whole Salem Witch Trials, but innocent people included his ancestor were killed. It doesn't change my opinion of him, I just thought it was weird.

• Love 1

Scott Foley seemed nice, but he came across as a bit .. simple? He had to ask two different people how they managed to create a family tree and both times he was told vital records. That made me laugh.

He was a little giggly about the witch stuff, but he acted way more respectful than Neil Patrick Harris did on Finding Your Roots. NPH basically laughed off his ancestor being burned alive, which is not only tragic but probably one of the most painful ways to die. Scott Foley at least acknowledged the unfairness and tragedy of being wrongfully put to death. I appreciated that he went to the memorial.

• Love 6

I cried a little at the end of this one.  My 8th Great Grandmother was Martha Carrier(Allen) , executed Salem Witch. She was hanged on Aug 19,1992. As the poster above mentioned, it was about a lot more than just witchcraft. Martha was a loud, outspoken woman. She was blamed for bringing Smallpox first to Billerica and then  Andover. She had some disputes over land. Not just that but her husband Thomas Carrier was rumored to have been the executioner of Charles I of England.

Her children were tortured and eventually testified against her. The description of their torture was " the children were reportedly hung by their heels "until the blood was ready to come out of their noses". Cotton Mather called her the Queen of Hell. On the gallows ,she refused to confess to a "filthy Falsehood".

I know it's silly to get emotional over and ancestor from 300 years ago, but I did.  I understand why It also go to him. I also  spent 4 years of my childhood in Peabody Ma, which was next to Salem. I spent a lot of time there as a child and I had no idea my ancestor was one of the 19.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 5

I know we have all commented on how much stuff they leave out of the show and don't seem to tell the celebrity.  I attended a genealogy conference recently and heard some interesting things from a genealogist who knows some of these researchers.  She said that 1800 hours of research was devoted to one family tree on Who Do You Think You Are. (I forget which one she was discussing).  She also said the one of the genealogists on Finding Your Roots spent 6 hours with LL Cool J going over his family tree with him.  So yes, the celebrity gets a whole lot more information than we get to see.

• Love 6
I know it's silly to get emotional over and ancestor from 300 years ago....

I think people on this page totally understand; and understand and empathize with Scott Foley and his sensitive reaction to finding out his ancestor was executed. I recently found a handwritten genealogy from my great-grandfather with the notation: "Albert McKee, went west in 1902, never returned, lost." I mean, I burst into tears. That's a whole novel right there in a few words. Ancestors are more than genetic links to other ancestors.

• Love 3

Yes, I feel weird exultation at good news and sadness at bad news when I come across it in my research.  So far there haven't been hangings or anything like that, but someone died in the workhouse as an old man, another in a logging accident (as the newspaper stated, "leaving his widow and numerous children in destitution...")  It hurts your heart.  I can't imagine reading about torture..

• Love 4

Sarah Jessica Parker also found an ancestor who was accused in the Salem witch trials but fortunately that ancestor did not hang. My only complaint about the Foley episode - and this happens far too frequently - is that they did not show the direct tree that led from one generation (the ancestor that served with Washington) to the previous one (the one hanged as a witch). I really like to see exactly what the line of connection is there. I know the show generally just pokes around until they find an interesting story somewhere in the background and I'm fine with that as long as they show us the line of descent.

Sarah Jessica Parker also found an ancestor who was accused in the Salem witch trials but fortunately that ancestor did not hang. My only complaint about the Foley episode - and this happens far too frequently - is that they did not show the direct tree that led from one generation (the ancestor that served with Washington) to the previous one (the one hanged as a witch). I really like to see exactly what the line of connection is there. I know the show generally just pokes around until they find an interesting story somewhere in the background and I'm fine with that as long as they show us the line of descent.

I believe SJP ancestor was  Rebecca Eames, whose name was on one of the documents that they did a close up on.

Scott Foley seemed nice, but he came across as a bit .. simple? He had to ask two different people how they managed to create a family tree and both times he was told vital records. That made me laugh.

I agree, on both counts.  I realize Scott's a genealogical newbie and can't really wrap his mind around it, but it's not even the truth to tell him that his tree was created using vital records.  It's not like someone sat down and did all that research from scratch just for him.  Most of those early American families' genealogies are well established in published family histories, so beyond a few generations all that would need to be done is to consult them.  The real work is in finding those amazing documents like hand written letters.  I can't imagine how much it would cost me to have all that dug up.  I often wonder what they'd find on my family - I'm a Mayflower descendant with ancestors who fought with Ethan Allen in the Revolution, were instrumental on April 19th, 1775 in Arlington, founded New England cities and towns (i.e. Hartford and Middletown, CT and St. Johnsbury, VT), amongst other things.  So for that I found this episode very interesting.  I've been to Arlington to visit the Jason Russell house where my 5th great grandfather Ammi Cutter warned him that the British were coming.  He also served as one of the "Old Men of Menotomy" who intercepted a British supply wagon on that same fateful date.  One day I hope to be able to go to the Historical Society featured on the show to find out more about my ancestors.

• Love 1
I was intrigued by Washington's physical requirements for his guard. He himself was quite tall, wasn't he? Maybe it helped make them more nondescript or something.

G-dubs was 6'4", a literal giant of his day. I think his height requirements were actually at the upper end of average dudely height back then. He specifically didn't want smaller men, of which there were many, and had he requested men as tall as he, he'd've come up empty. Plus, I'm sure it was easier to uniform guys who were all around the same height, rather than having some 5'3" and some 5'10".

I completely get Foley's emotional reaction to standing where somebody historical stood. It's a frisson of connection across centuries, and totally understandable.

I've been to Salem, too; it's a pretty village, and the touristy stuff is not nearly as cheesy as it could be. Worse at Halloween, obvs.  

Fun detail: it's likely that the first two 'afflicted' girls were actually suffering from ergot poisoning, which is a fungus that grows on decaying rye grain, and is the chemical precursor to LSD. Descriptions of the girls' symptoms and complaints do indeed read like a bad trip, what with the sensation of skin-pricks and hallucinations. (Historical meteorologists have confirmed that weather patterns in 1692 would have been conducive to swamping nearby rye patches, which would've lead to ergot growth.) As often happens, people look to supernatural causes when they don't understand natural ones, and assigning blame to demonic influence inflamed the populace. The resulting hysteria created more 'victims' who weren't actually ill at all, and who 'blamed' marginalized or otherwise controversial neighbors for their 'ills'.

• Love 9

Snarklepuss, I would bet the Historical Genealogical Society has all sorts of info on your ancestors already "dug up." Not just the genealogies, but letters and all the rest (assuming they were contributed at some point to the records).

You can join and access a lot of material online, and membership gets you discounted rates for consultations/research as well as publications from their press, which might be pertinent.  Since the research would already be done on your people, I can't imagine you'd have to pay for research so much as xeroxing/administrative costs.

Hey - as it turns out, the online stuff is free this week  (Patriot's Day!)

http://www.americanancestors.org/index.aspx

• Love 3

Snarklepuss, I would bet the Historical Genealogical Society has all sorts of info on your ancestors already "dug up." Not just the genealogies, but letters and all the rest (assuming they were contributed at some point to the records).

You can join and access a lot of material online, and membership gets you discounted rates for consultations/research as well as publications from their press, which might be pertinent.  Since the research would already be done on your people, I can't imagine you'd have to pay for research so much as xeroxing/administrative costs.

Hey - as it turns out, the online stuff is free this week  (Patriot's Day!)

http://www.americanancestors.org/index.aspx

Kassa, WOW, and THANKS a billion for that - I will take a look at that site for anything new or more in-depth I can find on those ancestors of mine.  What a stroke of luck that is to find it when it's free!  It's free until April 20 so I can do it over the weekend when I have time!

Tonight was Katey Sagal's story. Some very intriguing elements to it. I was shocked that they were able to find one of her mother's contemporaries with the USO Tour, and that she was recount such clear and fond memories with Katey. That had to be very special. I wonder how many of us ever have the opportunity to hear about our parents' early lives from someone who isn't related. I do hope that they stayed in touch.

And the story of Jacob Hochstetler (sp?) was fascinating. I would love to be able to hear in such detail about my very distant ancestors. I was gobsmacked when the historian/cousin said Jacob had hundreds of thousands of descendants. Hundreds of thousands! For someone who was bemoaning having no relatives at the top of the show, she sure hit the jackpot -- although I know she has at least two sisters (twins who had a brief acting career). I wondered if there was a family estrangement, because she sure didn't say anything about them, even "Wow, my sisters are going to be so surprised."

Katey herself drove me absolutely insane. There didn't seem to be a genuine reaction in the entire hour, and I was unaffected even when she cried at the end about her mother. Everything seemed like she was wholly immune to what was being told to her. I don't know, she just didn't resonate with me. Maybe it was her monotone, maybe it was her lack of excitement, maybe it was her portraying herself as alone in the world (despite the presence of siblings and the discovery of hundreds of thousands of distant relatives).

Then there was the dreaded, "My seven times great-grandfather was this way, so that explains my parents and me being the way we are/were." I know they're probably coached, I know TPTB are looking for those kinds of reactions. But, hell, I'm completely different in many ways from my own parents. I'm sure not looking to distant ancestors to explain my personality traits. (Now, there are some genetic traits I know I inherited going way up the line -- but not how I feel about peace or what inner strength I might or might not have.)

When she met the historian with the last name Stutzman and asked if they were related, and he replied in the affirmative, her reaction was something like, "Really? We're cousins? Really?" It seemed very rehearsed and actor-ish. I mean, she asked him if they were related, it wasn't like he threw it at her out of the blue to shock her.

Only four episodes this "season"? What am I missing here? (besides more episodes!)

• Love 2

I found Katey's reactions to be completely genuine.  I felt like she loved hearing about any family member she could because she didn't realize she would find something that went as far back as it did.  Plus to find out that she descended from something unexpected--the Amish--seemed to be something she really identified with.  I understand why they make connections to their ancestors because I do think there are bits and pieces that are connected through family, even if it is farther back than our immediate families.  I think in her case she did seem to be pretty much in the the "peace" mode about a lot of things and was very clear about that--so of course she is going to find it interesting that her ancestors felt so strongly about the same.  

Overall a good episode in that she was clearly grateful for the news, and found some good information.  She will be able to find out a lot more with that family tree and knowing more names.  

• Love 2

I found Katey's reactions to be completely genuine.  I felt like she loved hearing about any family member she could because she didn't realize she would find something that went as far back as it did.  Plus to find out that she descended from something unexpected--the Amish--seemed to be something she really identified with.  I understand why they make connections to their ancestors because I do think there are bits and pieces that are connected through family, even if it is farther back than our immediate families.  I think in her case she did seem to be pretty much in the the "peace" mode about a lot of things and was very clear about that--so of course she is going to find it interesting that her ancestors felt so strongly about the same.  

I agree and I also appreciated how that family trait for peace seemed to run so far back. Another thing I thought, although they didn't really emphasize it, was that her mom was likely against war based on all the injured soldiers she saw in the hospital. That probably affected her and why she was later against the Vietnam War.

I loved the little old lady she met! I wanted to be her friend, too.

I was interested in hearing about the Indian Massacre, because I also had ancestors that were involved in something like that. One of my lines, the entire family was killed in 1790 except for 2 little boys who ran out and hid in the woods (1 of those boys was my direct ancestor). I remember reading a published account and I kept thinking how amazing it was that they survived and how I wouldn't be here if not for those boys hiding in the woods. That entire family line would have just stopped.

• Love 3

I found Katey's reactions to be completely genuine. 

So did I. I took her subdued reactions to mean she was feeling very profound emotions that didn't necessarily translate to an animated appearance on-screen. She seemed very moved by much of the information about her mother and Amish ancestors.

So far it was Aisha Tyler that seemed least genuine and most forced for the cameras. Scott Foley's reactions were totally different, I think, but no less real or genuine than Katey's. He didn't know how to process the absurdity of the witch trials, so it came out as laughing. It seemed Katey was just a quieter, more contemplative way of not being able to process things like the woman knowing her mother or the other guy being related.

They still haven't done Chris Noth, who I'm really looking forward to. I can't remember the other one that is left.

I loved Katey's stories. I would love to ask someone what my mom was like at a certain time. I bet she had more time to share with her mother's friend than we saw. I thought she was completely genuine and was thrilled with all they found.

In her case I think some "peacenik" feelings probably were handed down.

• Love 1

Great episode! That Indian massacre sounded scary (especially the scalpings) and I am in awe of her ancestor's ability to escape his captors. Did they say how old the boys were when they were taken prisoner? I can see a little child wanting to go back to his Indian family, but if they were old enough to understand their family members being murdered I don't know how you go back.

Regarding paying someone to take your spot during the civil war, $300 must've been a fortune back then.

That Indian massacre sounded scary (especially the scalpings) and I am in awe of her ancestor's ability to escape his captors. Did they say how old the boys were when they were taken prisoner? I can see a little child wanting to go back to his Indian family, but if they were old enough to understand their family members being murdered I don't know how you go back.

I kept wondering how old the kidnapped children were, too. I'd never heard about Native Americans taking and raising Caucasian children -- what horrible trauma for them later to be ripped between two families and cultures. It's not like shared custody was a thing.

What strength of character the Hoch-whatever patriarch had, resolutely affirming his beliefs and not allowing his sons to kill even in self defense. I'd like to hear his opinion of today's stand your ground laws.

Chris Noth, Molly Ringwald and Lea Michelle are still left I believe.

I admire her ancestors for sticking to his beliefs, but I agree with Katey that if family is in danger I would be hard pressed not to defend them.

• Love 1

I'd never heard about Native Americans taking and raising Caucasian children -- what horrible trauma for them later to be ripped between two families and cultures. It's not like shared custody was a thing.

It happened even earlier as well. I recently found out I had a relative kidnapped in 1704 (1703?) from Deerfield, Massachusetts. Native Americans had allied with French in Quebec. Deerfield was raided by natives, and roughly 100 English settlers were made to walk north to the Montreal area in winter. Many died on the trek, but children and young adults that made it were taken in either by native or Quebecois families. That's how my relative ended up on my French-Canadian family tree. Caroline Cooney wrote a young adult novel that fictionalized a true person, called "The ransom of Mercy Carter", which detailed the cultural/loyalty struggle that kidnapped Mercy had as a ~10 year old.

Edited by Randomosity

I found this one more interesting than the past two with Scott Foley and Aisha Tyler, and found Katey Sagal's reactions pretty straightforward and genuine. For me, some of the celebs they profile get a little too emotional about their far-distant ancestors for my taste. She seemed the most moved by meeting that woman who traveled with her mother in the USO, whereas she took the information about her distant ancestors more stoically because there wasn't that direct connection like with her own mother. I don't know, I kind of hate it when they get all weepy about things that happened 500 years ago.

• Love 2

I thought this one was interesting and Katey seemed very even-handed about the whole thing. But, I tend to like the ones that trace back to Pennsylvania, since that's where my ancestors came from.  I even had an ancestor who came over on the Charming Nancy.  I'm probably related to Katey somewhere way back.

• Love 2

Thanks. I thought I only saw four "branches" at the beginning and I was very disappointed.

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like Katey Sagal. I'm glad she and her story rang true for so many others. Another celebrity who won't be my new best friend, darn the luck. ;-)

I kind of hate it when they get all weepy about things that happened 500 years ago.

I'm a history nerd and love it when someone can make dry dusty stories come alive. I'm a weeper. I recently went to a presentation about the Eastland Disaster a hundred years ago in Chicago and the woman was such a wonderful storyteller that I ended up in tears for all the families that lost loved ones. I also cried during the play 1776 when the Declaration of Independence got signed, and when I read about what the founding fathers went through to make it happen. So maybe that's a clue as to why Katey didn't resonate with me, her reactions being very different from my own.

Edited by ChicagoCita

I enjoyed Katey's episode, and thought she was really into learning about her family. When the historian who was her distant cousin had her read excerpts from the book on Jacob Hochstetler he suggested that she may want to read the entire book someday. She replied, "someday?...tonight!!". I thought that was cute.

• Love 2

It happened even earlier as well. I recently found out I had a relative kidnapped in 1704 (1703?) from Deerfield, Massachusetts. Native Americans had allied with French in Quebec. Deerfield was raided by natives, and roughly 100 English settlers were made to walk north to the Montreal area in winter. Many died on the trek, but children and young adults that made it were taken in either by native or Quebecois families. That's how my relative ended up on my French-Canadian family tree. Caroline Cooney wrote a young adult novel that fictionalized a true person, called "The ransom of Mercy Carter", which detailed the cultural/loyalty struggle that kidnapped Mercy had as a ~10 year old.

My husband's ancestor was Mercy Carter's brother John. Quite a fascinating story, and the French Canadian  Catholic records are wonderful. I spent a lot of time researching the Carter/Chartier family.

• Love 1
For someone who was bemoaning having no relatives at the top of the show, she sure hit the jackpot -- although I know she has at least two sisters (twins who had a brief acting career). I wondered if there was a family estrangement, because she sure didn't say anything about them, even "Wow, my sisters are going to be so surprised."

You know, I had forgotten about the sisters.  And so I just googled -- she also has two brothers!  Which is interesting.  I mean, not all celebs who have siblings include them on the show -- usually they focus on sharing the stories with their own kids.  I don't mind them not mentioning siblings, necessarily.  Sagal did go out of her way to present herself as alone in the world, though, which is much more of a slight to siblings to just not mentioning them. I mean, it might be emotionally true if they're all estranged, but it's intellectually dishonest.  Weird.

I haven't spoken to my brother in years, but I wouldn't erase him from the family tree on national television.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 4

Is there a list somewhere of the celebrities who have been on the various genealogy shows? A friend was told he is a second cousin of Famous Person. Friend would not contact FP, but would like to know if there is info on their common ancestors that we have not been able to find.

Since I am making wishes, a database of the various libraries etc. that have been shown would be great, if the Genealogy Fairy is feeling generous today. :-)

• Love 1

I always liked Katie Sagal but I think there was something off about her in this episode. First she gave off a somber air, not sure why I expected her to be a little more upbeat.  Then saying she had "no living relatives" only to find out she has a few siblings as well as children makes me wonder about her, especially since I am a person with only one living relative - my Dad.  I have no siblings, no children, not even any first cousins and my mother and the only uncle I had are dead as are my grandparents and great uncles.  So what was she getting at with that?  The way she went on about loving being a pacifist and having pacifists in her tree makes me wonder whether there's some philosophy or religion she belongs to that promotes pacifism and quite possibly has estranged her from some of her family.  I really don't know anything about her to be honest.

Edited by Snarklepuss