Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: Beyond The Mat

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Casting spoiler for the wrestling episode -- uh, who?  I don't watch wrestling, so I have no idea if this is big.

Ugh.  Does he make a deal?  If so, how very original.

Is it just me, or is it sad that I predicted this episode's plot over a month ago?  They have got to come up with some new stories.  But, hey, could just be me.

Well, at least we now have confirmation that the "Hand of God" weapons are one-offs.  I missed a bunch of the episode because we kept losing our signal, yet I don't feel like I missed anything.  

• Love 1

Dean's fan boy routine at the wake and his utter adorableness in the wrestling ring made this episode a win for me.  Other than finding out that each artifact is indeed a one time deal, not a whole lot happened.  I'm very glad Crowley is on the wind.  Not because I'm glad he's free but the whole 'in chains and subject to abuse and humiliation' is a BIG TIME SQUICK for me.  Hopefully that's over forever!

• Love 8

So I didn't know what this episode was about.  I turn it on and immediately despair.  I know who the Miz is.  I do not like to be reminded that I know who the Miz is. Damn you Real World and eight billion seasons of Real World vs. Road Rule Challenge.

• Love 2

As a lifelong wrestling fan, I've got to say awesome job.  The show didn't look down on wrestlers or the fans, and got into how hard the life is for wrestlers.  Loved that they also remembered that it was established that the Winchesters are wrestling fans.  Dean doing the Flair strut was fantastic.

It was awesome to see Supernatural get an A-Lister, the most must see WWE superstar of all time, the Awesome One, of course I'm talking about The Miz.  Wasn't a fan of them killing him off, and the Winchesters not really caring about it.  They had more sympathy for the guy that murdered him.

Now that they've gotten a wrestler to appear, get Kane on the show.  Heck, they could bring in Finn Balor, it would fit with his nickname.  Also since it's filmed in Canada, get Trish Stratus to be in an episode.  They could also try to get Eve Torres, she's done acting, and she can fight.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 5

Dean was such a little boy in this episode. It was bittersweet. He got to play....that was wonderful. But then I'm reminded of how much he didn't get to play when he was little boy :(  /sobs

Nitpick. Dean said that Sam had a poster of a wrestler in his room. UMMMM, what happened to Sam never having had a room of his own EVER? Did he carry the poster with him from hotel to hotel?  Man, shit like just annoys me because it's just a simple thing to not get wrong. Sigh.

• Love 5

I agree with everything jedi knight said.  I love that the show writers treated wrestling and its fans with respect as well as draw those parallels between it and the hunting life. I was surpised the Miz was killed off even though he did have a redemptive moment in the end when he turned the crossroads demon down. I also loved that crowley escaped luci and is hopefully on his way to the winchesters.  they need to gather all or as many of the god weapons as they can and the boys will need crowley to do it. There may be more out there and he may know where to find them or where to look.Would Crowley still want the crown back after all is said and done?  At some point I would find it to heavy and trying.   How much would those weapons take out of a human if they wield them though?  Would delphine had survived if the sub wasn't taken out? Also we've seen what just one weapon could do but what could a whole stock pile of these weapons do?

• Love 4

Well the first half of the episode with Sam and Dean was beyond adorable.

Such fanboys!! Aww.

Then it had to go and get all serious and shit.

I'm glad Cowley got away. I really did like and feel for that wrestler. Poor guy.

Ugh, Collins is overdoing it again.

There has to be something about those weapons. They can't just be 1-hit wonders.

Edited by Ferniesfreckles
  • Love 6

Jensen played his 'exit' from the ring so perfectly!  He was smooth when he was doing all his moves on his own, but as soon as he knew he had an audience?  Different story!  I'm glad it was clear it was actually Jensen and not a stunt person flipping out of the ring.

The WWII chunk was from the Arc of the Covenant, correct?  Was the pole Crowley had identified?  If that's also from the Arc, maybe they have to find the pieces and put it back together again.  I would actually hate that, but why else would these seemingly random pieces of wood be labeled "Hand of God"?

• Love 4

Jensen played his 'exit' from the ring so perfectly!  He was smooth when he was doing all his moves on his own, but as soon as he knew he had an audience?  Different story!  I'm glad it was clear it was actually Jensen and not a stunt person flipping out of the ring.

The WWII chunk was from the Arc of the Covenant, correct?  Was the pole Crowley had identified?  If that's also from the Arc, maybe they have to find the pieces and put it back together again.  I would actually hate that, but why else would these seemingly random pieces of wood be labeled "Hand of God"?

Crowley said it was Aaron's staff - the bro of Moses...

But didn't Moses give Aaron the staff to touch the River Nile to make it flow with blood and he gave it to him to throw in front of Ramses that then turned into a serpent? So it's Moses' staff ultimately, no?

Why yes, yes I am describing The Ten Commandments movie, which is probably the only thing I know about Aaron and that staff.

• Love 3

So biblical relics, not just the Arc. I'm glad. Otherwise it would have been too Raiders. There's lots to choose from in the Bible. I want them to have to find the mustard seed. The specific one Jesus used for his parable, the smallest of all seeds. :-)

• Love 5

So Dean knows hellhounds are there and barely bats an eye? Like I dunno, I feel hellhounds should still bother him a lot more.  Whatevs....

You know too much alcohol is being imbibed when Dean says it's too much for him!

I loved that Dean's idol knew his name :). 

Why is Crowley still alive though?  Fuck him.

• Love 2

There was both the staff of Moses AND the rod of Aaron in the Bible

Numbers 17:10

10 but Aaron’s rod, the Lord told Moses, was to be taken back into the tabernacle, to be kept there in memory of the rebellious Israelites; there must be no more complaining, no more death-penalties.

And here's the kicker: Aaron's rod, a jar of Manna, and the broken shards of the first tablets of the Ten Commandmemts are what was placed in THE ARK OF THE COVENANT. So yes, full-on Raiders.

Seriously though, Dabb is really pulling out some ancient references and I'm certain he knows what he's doing. Aaron's rod was not the staff of power that Moses used to bring the Plagues to Egypt. Aaron's rod was chosen by God to demonstrate to the bickering Jewish people that the tribe of Levi (Aaron's tribe) was to be the priests who attended the Ark.

Not sure what part, if any , is relevant to the myth arc but it's not a LOL!Canon error. Something is afoot with these Biblical nukes.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 4

"It's alright. I'm not a child. It's fine" ...

Ow...my heart.  Dean stopped being a child at 4. He never got that keepsake from his idols'.  He got guns, death, monsters and dysfunction instead.  I'm fine.....

• Love 7

Fanboy!Winchesters were so cute. Sam stuttering around his first crush and Dean awkwardly introducing himself to his hero made me smile. And Dean playing around in the ring was totally adorable.

I felt the crossroads demon altering his deal with the wrestler was a good way to show that the demons are going rogue and Hell is going to hell without anyone really being in charge. I don't think Crowley would have allowed an underling to be quite so independent.

But I do cry foul on the boys rushing in to fight a demon, yet again, without any obvious plan, and getting telekinetically thrown around, yet again, and having to be saved by someone else. After so many similar fights, by now they would have a more effective tactic than run in and hope for the best.

• Love 7

Hee! The top gif, where it looks like he's going to fall in a heap, reminds me of that clip with Bobby trying to sneak into a basement window and utterly fucking it up. :)

I loved the whole Dean!Fanboy business of the episode. He is just too cute for words! I was so sad when they were describing the horrible life the wrestlers have and then Sam says-you just described our life...oh is there something in my eye?

• Love 6

I knew nothing about this episode other than the fact that it was about wrestling/wrestlers and, I really enjoyed it.  I knew from the breakout that the Female Aid/Crowley escape was a set up by Lucifer.  However, I was really happy to see that Crowley was aware the whole time and played the player.  I'm also enjoying Casifer, I'm sure Misha enjoys playing the character as well.  

I'm hoping next episode we get a Crowley/Boys team up to take down Casifer and Amara but it might be too soon to for that, we still have 8 episodes to go before the finale.

The wrestling stuff was great, I really enjoyed the boys being boys and having fun reliving their youth with the Old Time Wrestlers.  I had no idea that the young punk/kid was an actual wrestler, he did a good job in the scene where he turned the Crossroads demon down.  The older Wrestler (that Dean idolized) was good as well.  Any idea on the actor?  He looked so familiar to me but i can't place him.

• Love 1

It's funny that Luci recognized and was able to use Crowley's biggest failing (his ego) against him, considering Luci has the exact same problem. It was illustrated in this very episode. Crowley got his shot with the weapon (whether or not it would have actually killed Luci is another matter) and missed, but instead of turning around and simply killing him Luci decided to play with Crowley to show his own superiority and Crowley got away.

• Love 4
I'm glad it was clear it was actually Jensen and not a stunt person flipping out of the ring.

Ha, do they usually get stuntmen for pratfalls?

I didn't really care much about this episode, but, I never did do wrestling. I appreciated that it was a lighthearted episode that didn't mind going a liiiiiiiiiitle over the top because why not? And I also appreciated that put a spotlight on an old school pop culture icon...... like it did for Linda Blair and Dee Wallace and others I can't think of off the top of my head. Not sure which guy The Miz was, but I get it was a fan service, and the kind of fan service I can respect.

Meanwhile, dumb demon who got played by both Crowley and Lucifer was dumb. It was well enough done, I guess, and I get that this show has such a small cast they kind of have to think of things for those two actors to do... but I'd just as soon skip it than do this half-hearted "move the plot along" stuff. If you are going to show us the bureaucracy of Hell, either make it a hard satire, give it real menace, or don't bother.

Lucifer is a petty little shit but so is Crowley. I mean he did go after Sam and Dean's friends because he wanted vengeance on Sam and Dean and not because those people did anything to Crowley himself.

My current head!canon is that actual!Cas is tormenting Crowley too.  I mean he does have a lot of reason to fuck with Crowley himself you know for the whole leading Dean into getting the Mark in the first place....and the deals back in s6....and Crowley hanging out with demon!Dean and getting demon!Dean to kill for him.   I'm just saying that I like to think some of the torment of Crowley is a bit of Cas not just Lucifer. ;) 

Ha, do they usually get stuntmen for pratfalls?

I don't think so in Jensen's case. I think he does as much as he can and that insurance allows LOL

What I want to know is where was the lore on these Hand of God relics when Castiel was desperately scouring the globe for the most insane, risky schemes possible in order to get the power to fight Raphael in Season 6?

Heh. My head!canon is that these were locked away and released when the Darkness was released...I got nuthin'....

While I enjoyed the episode in general, it's not one that I would watch again.*

Liked

• When the wrestler (can't recall the name) told Dean that he had to keep "grinding." It's nice to see Dean regain some resolution to stay in the fight, if not hope for a good finish.
  • Dean being figuratively drunk under the table. Just how much tequila did he have to ingest to be that messed up? And then having to fight a demon. Poor dude.  This scene reminded me of this quote: “Tequila shots are what you do ONLY when you’re already so drunk you can no longer experience pain.”
  • Dean's rolling into the rink. We've all wanted to do it that smoothly, haven't we? Reminded me of Martin Riggs rolling beneath a closing garage door in Lethal Weapon 2. I always liked that scene. Must have been the jeans.

Meh

• The plot.
  • Crowley and Lucifer. (In truth, I'm more enjoying the Lucifer character on that other network than the Lucifer in this one -- despite Misha's abilities to portray two different characters.)
  • "Grinding on".  Seriously? Couldn't the writers come up with a better way to throw that anvil? Yes, we know that Dean needs to get back into the fight even if he doesn't think that he can win it. 

Notes

• The Hand of God items are religious objects that God physically touched. That is, he must have handed them off to someone. So there can't be that many objects from the Old Testament. 
  • Crowley's use of the Rod of Aaron proves that the user doesn't need the glyph that Delphine had last week.
  • I still hope the items don't have a one-and-done shot. After all, the Hebrews allegedly used the Ark in combat, which implies it was more than a one-and-done weapon.

*Oh, wait -- I'd watch again just to see Dean rolling beneath the ropes.

I just want to make a comment about Jensen's comedic acting in this episode.

I thought it was all tinged with some underlying sadness.  I think it could have been very easy for Jensen to just be Jensen whilst he was throwing himself around the ring alone, but I never thought it wasn't Dean. All kudos to Jensen for the physical comedy that kept Dean in the forefront. I never saw a Jensen smile. Yes I think I can see the difference between a Dean smile and a Jensen smile. IMO he played that Dean was still reserved and could only cut loose if he thought he was in the ring by himself and no one was watching, even though he was pretending he had an audience. Once Rio showed up, he put it away.

And I thought the broad smiles and wooting didn't linger long on Dean's face.  It was really beautiful IMO

• Love 2

So I have a question.  Is Crowley's stash of artifacts the thing to which Crowley was referring in the Prisoner before Rowena tried to kill him and/or hexed him back to evilness?

He said "I thought I could do something good. Be better" but then later he says "You have NO idea what I've been up to for the past year. The things I've done. Horrible, awful things. And I"ve loved every minute". 

So I wonder if he was making deals and tormenting humans and demons and angels and monsters to get his hands on all those artifacts to hold them for a later power grab...or to help the Winchesters at some point?  But then once he got back to being the evilest evil that ever eviled non -Lucifer division....that changed?

Oh. and FYI, I cannot tell you how many times I searched faces for a glimpse of Stephen Amell in this episode as a wrestler or barfly.  BOO! I didn't see him :(

Okay, so I'm kind of obsessed with the wound on Dean's thigh. 

He told Gunnar he got it a couple of years back. So when did that bite happen?

We didn't see a stab wound on his chest after Metatron killed him and resurrected as a demon so the assumption was that the Mark healed him? Then we saw him heal himself when he was a demon..so why wouldn't he heal that bite?  And even after he was cured of being a demon, he couldn't die so then his wounds would heal right?

So did he get bit this season and we don't know? 

Is this just bad writing to give Dean a bonding moment with his idol or a reveal of something bigger with Dean? 

Help me suss this out, peeps. It's really bugging me.

I liked that once the wrestling match started, Sam was almost more excited than Dean.

I'm glad that Crowley got away, though I want to kick smarmy little Simmons for being a double-crossing backstabber.

The whole episode was pretty anvilicious.

I halfway expected Crowley to be in the bunker when the boys got back.

I like the idea of all the Hands o' God being combined together to make a big ol' super-duper weapon. But I also like the idea that Delphine's super-special sigil has something to do with using the HoGs more than once.

"Keep grinding" = "Always Keep Fighting"

• Love 3

Welp, another for the "it wasn't offensive file". 

Did anyone actually believe stunt demon woman was truly Crowley's friend?

I'm so so sorry Misha, I adore you, but you need to tone that shit down. Like ten-fold. And show, you might want to dial that shit back too. No need for the Devil to spell out the punchline when it was already perfectly spoken in subtext. Sigh.

In other news: wasn't Dean's idol one of the skin walkers from S6?

• Love 2

I'm so so sorry Misha, I adore you, but you need to tone that shit down. Like ten-fold. 

Heh.  That's funny.  He's the only part of the episode I enjoyed.  He's the only one who looks like he's having a good time.  Everyone else is all gruff and serious and frowny-face.

• Love 1