Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E15: Beyond The Mat

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I know I watched this last year - but so much I don't remember.  Must be the alcohol.  ;)  Fair warning: semi-running commentary ahead.  And take everything I write with a large grain of Snark.  

• Oh look, it's Lucifer.  But buffer.  Wait.  Wrong Season.
  • That young wrestler guy looks familiar.  Used to date a guy who watched "wrastling".  Yeah, it was so fake.  But they took it So Seriously!  Lol.  I just had to keep my mouth shut.  (I know! Hard to believe, amiright?)
  • Wonder why Sam has a hangover.  Did I miss drunk Sam?  Not fair!  I like drunk Sam!  I want to see Drunk Sam!  I know, it could be a headache from staying up all night reading boring lore, but I'm going with hangover, because that's more fun to imagine how he got that way.  
  • Still not terribly interested in Cas/Lucifer Crowley scenes, but smirking minions should beware.  What goes around, comes around.  
  • Wait.  I thought they were going to a wake, not pretending to be therapists again.  Haha.  Ok, that was just Sam.
  • Gunner seemed like a decent guy.  Too bad about the whole Demon Deal thing.  
  • I don't understand why Rio gave Sam a weird look for complimenting her.  "You look great" is not "hey, let's go have sex in the parking lot."  The appropriate response would have been, "Thank you."  No big deal.  And I would think with her having been in the spot light so much in the past, she'd be used to it, and know how to handle that kind of attention.
  • Sam was so cute: for all his eye-rolling at Dean, he got into the match just as much.  Maybe even more.  
  • A line at the men's room?  Now, I gotta call these writers out: that is PURE fantasy!  Never happen.  Lol!
  • Kinda not cool that the dad of the kid got ganked.  Of course it is this show, so...NM.
  • Memphis!  
  • Sam must have been driving awfully slow to take that long to get from the motel to the bar.  Or maybe he'd gone back to the bunker for research since it was 'only an hour away'.  I guess I'm supposed to go with that.  Still, he must have been going WAY below the speed limit to take that long.  Hokay.
  • So the young Ryan Gosling lookalike is a demon.  Shame.
  • Harley was probably the smartest character to date on the Show when it comes to reasoning out Heaven and Hell.  I am really sad he died.  At least he held strong  and didn't sell out his soul.  
  • Him. Her.  Shim.  LOL.  Got friends who use that expression all the time.  
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

A line at the men's room?  Now, I gotta call these writers out: that is PURE fantasy!  Never happen.  Lol!

Hee. I've seen it! At a Rush concert. Rush is my hubby's favorite band, but it's very much a "guy's" band. When I went with him, men outnumbered the women at the concert about 10 to 1. No line at all for the women's room, but the men's - big line. Now contrast that to when I drag Hubby to a Bon Jovi concert...

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Hee. I've seen it! At a Rush concert. Rush is my hubby's favorite band, but it's very much a "guy's" band. When I went with him, men outnumbered the women at the concert about 10 to 1. No line at all for the women's room, but the men's - big line. Now contrast that to when I drag Hubby to a Bon Jovi concert...

I did too at a Billy Joel-Elton John concert at the Razerback stadium in Arkansas.

27 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Hee. I've seen it! At a Rush concert.

6 minutes ago, Diane said:

I did too at a Billy Joel-Elton John concert at the Razerback stadium in Arkansas.

No Way!  Wow!  I gotta say, I am shocked.  Lol!  Bet that was a hoot having the tables turned. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

No Way!  Wow!  I gotta say, I am shocked.  Lol!  Bet that was a hoot having the tables turned. 

Yep, I have to say it was the most diverse crowd for a concert I have ever seen.  Wide range of age groups and both sexes.

• Love 1

Give the devil his due - he actually seems interested in stopping Amara. Love the absolute joy when Dean sees Gunner walk out and how he's disappointed  when he doesn't get the belt. "I'm not a child. It's fine." I don't care for wrestling but the boys just looks so happy during the match. Love Dean playing around in the ring. Love the wrestler refusing to sell his soul once he learns hell is real. More people should be logical like that guy. He deserved to live. Aw, Crowley has a painting of himself as a boy. That's cute. Gotta give credit to Misha, he sounds nothing like either himself or Castiel when he says "Is it just me or is it getting a little phallic in here?" Gunner is definitely the best character that actor has played on the series. 

• Love 2

That sucks that the younger wrestler died.  I was really hoping the boys would arrive in time to save him.  I liked how he had a brain and used logic to figure out heaven and hell and then opted for heaven.  I hope he got there.  Glad that Gunner opted for a last good deed before he was dragged to hell.  Yes, I laughed at the line for the mens room too.

Still not liking Crowley being abused by Lucifer and think its a bad decision by Lucifer.  But I love that Crowley knew a double cross was coming (though he was disappointed) and kept the Rod.  Looks like these Hand of God items are all one-shot deals, which kindof sucks.  How many can there be?

On 2/24/2016 at 9:07 PM, Jediknight said:

As a lifelong wrestling fan, I've got to say awesome job.  The show didn't look down on wrestlers or the fans, and got into how hard the life is for wrestlers.  Loved that they also remembered that it was established that the Winchesters are wrestling fans.  Dean doing the Flair strut was fantastic.

I am not a wrestling fan (unless we count watching GLOW, lol), but I did love the way the wrestlers and fans were treated. 

On 2/24/2016 at 10:03 PM, Ferniesfreckles said:

There has to be something about those weapons. They can't just be 1-hit wonders.

I am still having trouble believing they can possibly have gone for thousands of years without a human touching them. Plus, they had to be used initially, so how did they get their groove back?

On 2/25/2016 at 12:12 AM, catrox14 said:

https://45.media.tumblr.com/f1ffa8d92b15a44276bc665f66d7b37c/tumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo1_250.gif

Okay here is a better gif set of Dean playing in the ring. I'm entirely to emotional about this.

tumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo1_250.giftumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo2_250.gif

tumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo3_250.giftumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo4_250.gif

tumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo5_250.giftumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo6_250.gif

tumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo7_250.giftumblr_o337mpEBIP1ra49xpo8_250.gif

This scene was so delightful. 

On 2/25/2016 at 4:24 PM, catrox14 said:

Okay, so I'm kind of obsessed with the wound on Dean's thigh. 

He told Gunnar he got it a couple of years back. So when did that bite happen?

. .  .

So did he get bit this season and we don't know? 

Is this just bad writing to give Dean a bonding moment with his idol or a reveal of something bigger with Dean? 

Help me suss this out, peeps. It's really bugging me.

I was hoping somewhere here had the answer 

On 2/26/2016 at 6:38 PM, MysteryGuest said:

I enjoyed the episode.  It's always good to see the boys having a bit of fun for a change.  They really don't get to do that very often, and considering all they've sacrificed in their lives, they certainly deserve some fun once in a while.  Unfortunately, that fun was short-lived.  

I loved watching them have fun so much. Their reactions to the match were golden. Plus the fanboy moments and the ring. Even on the fun and funny episodes, the guys aren't typically enjoying themselves. It was really great to see. 

On 2/28/2016 at 2:34 PM, Omegamom said:

Speaking of the scene of Dean in the ring...apparently, according to a panel at NashCon, Jensen ad-libbed the entire thing.

I wondered if he had. That is awesome.

On 2/29/2016 at 1:42 PM, SueB said:

I need to see Dean in a Costco. Buying coffee and beer by the gross.

The samples would just end up being haunted. 😂

On 11/2/2016 at 2:39 PM, catrox14 said:

I went to the Billy/Elton concert here in San Diego and can confirm the diversity of the audience.  Soup to nuts and everyone in between.

I have definitely been in sporting events where the guys' line is longer. 

I loved this episode. We are on a streak of episodes I can say that about. I thought watching the guys have fun was fantastic. I like that there are demons out there trying to skirt the rules, because I would expect that of demons (and of course there is a demon named Duke. Go Tar Heels.). 

The Crowley/Lucifer story actually kept my attention too. I kept thinking it had to be a trap and wondering if Crowley had caught on. 

I loved the bar scene and the hungover/still a little drunk scene. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, The Companion said:

I am still having trouble believing they can possibly have gone for thousands of years without a human touching them. Plus, they had to be used initially, so how did they get their groove back?

They didn't necessarily have to be used after God touched them.  As for no human touching them, I can kind of go with that. If they've been moving from supernatural (or at least supernaturally aware) beings all along, they could be kept out of the hands of morons.  But, the real question is how didn't any of the demons, angels, and whomever elses not use them before?  It's not like they're known for being circumspect.  And, if they didn't know their power, then yes, I'll go back to your original, how did nobody touch them before?

12 hours ago, The Companion said:

I loved this episode. We are on a streak of episodes I can say that about. I thought watching the guys have fun was fantastic. I like that there are demons out there trying to skirt the rules, because I would expect that of demons (and of course there is a demon named Duke. Go Tar Heels.). 

I always love when Dean's enjoying the background of the case.  so, yeah, I liked that.  I had a problem with Dean saying that Gunnar (?) was a good guy at the end.  He had been killing people just to put off his own collection date.   One of them a dad, and for all he knew that kid's only parent.  That's not my definition of a good guy. And, it's not like his original deal was for anything particularly noble.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

They didn't necessarily have to be used after God touched them.  As for no human touching them, I can kind of go with that. If they've been moving from supernatural (or at least supernaturally aware) beings all along, they could be kept out of the hands of morons.  But, the real question is how didn't any of the demons, angels, and whomever elses not use them before?  It's not like they're known for being circumspect.  And, if they didn't know their power, then yes, I'll go back to your original, how did nobody touch them before?

I always love when Dean's enjoying the background of the case.  so, yeah, I liked that.  I had a problem with Dean saying that Gunnar (?) was a good guy at the end.  He had been killing people just to put off his own collection date.   One of them a dad, and for all he knew that kid's only parent.  That's not my definition of a good guy. And, it's not like his original deal was for anything particularly noble.  

Exactly. I mean, these artifacts have been around for thousands of years. Given that there have been multiple potential apocalypses and battles over heaven and hell and between heaven and hell, it just seems like at some point someone would have used it. Or unknowingly touched it. 

I agree on the Gunnar being a good guy thing. I took it to mean that he made the right choice in the end. That he was not just the sum of his bad acts. I mean, Gunnar was objectively a bad guy who murdered a dude while his son waited for him, but I think Dean's perspective is that the right decision in the end and facing the hellhounds spoke more to his character than the acts he did under duress.  It still doesn't totally get me there, but it does help. It ties back to Dean's statement that it is never too late to do the right thing.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, The Companion said:

is never too late to do the right thing.

I do agree with that.  So, maybe, I guess.

I've actually used the phrase "just because I've done something wrong once, doesn't mean I should do it again," to justify myself to people who have wanted me to do something that I refused to do and then get called a hypocrite because I did it 10 years ago, or whatever.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I do agree with that.  So, maybe, I guess.

I've actually used the phrase "just because I've done something wrong once, doesn't mean I should do it again," to justify myself to people who have wanted me to do something that I refused to do and then get called a hypocrite because I did it 10 years ago, or whatever.

Yeah, as I said it doesn't fully satisfy me either but it gets me closer. I have argued in the past that we have to believe that people can change and that rehabilitation is a possibility. I think, combined with the speech from Dean, that is where they were going with this character. 

• Love 1