Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Kill Floor

CooperTV

Thrown by the enormity of his goal, Jake decides the one thing he can do to make a real difference is save the family of his friend Harry Dunning. Harry's family was murdered in a small Kentucky town by Harry's out-of-control father, Frank. But does Jake have what it takes to kill a man and what are the consequences of violence, even against someone as dangerous as Frank?

Great script leading to the denoument and a peek at where things go from here. I suppose every time traveler needs a side kick.

Cool that Hulu releases them at, what, midnight? So I can watch early in the morning when I'm actually awake.

Great acting, direction, cinematography, IMO. Or am I a party of one?

• Love 4

I admit that it is all the JFK assassination stuff that drew me to this. So I was concerned if I was going to enjoy the show as much if they steered clear of it, which is what they did in this episode. Turns out it was really good and kept my interest.

Very surprised at Josh Duhamel in this. I like him, I have ever since his time as Danny McCoy on "Las Vegas". But I have never considered him more than a, for lack of a better word, "pleasant" actor. By which I mean he is good to have in the cast, but isn't going to be doing the heavy lifting. And I would never have thought of Duhamel to play a vicious character like Frank Dunning. But damned if he didn't scare the hell out of me.

• Love 3

Good lord, Jake. His bumbling and reckless lack of planning were driving me crazy. Why was his first inclination to go find Dunning? To do what, exactly -- talk him out of killing his family? There was no evidence that Jake knew what his next move would be after the murder, either. I suppose Jake missing his shot at Dunning from 4' away could be attributed to the past pushback stuff, but why Jake waited so long in the house before trying to help, while Doris was screaming and there were trails of blood, was kind of baffling.

What does he think is going to happen now with Doris and the kids left in the house with a dead body? A ton of people saw him leaving the house bloody and battered, so I don't suppose Doris will be charged, but you never know. It's possible Doris may be left in dire financial straits now without any child support. The kids are certainly scarred, as well as being without a father they were previously shown to be close to.

I don't think I've seen Josh Duhamel play a bad guy before, but he brought the simmering scariness for sure. I couldn't watch the cow/sledgehammer scene.

I couldn't watch the slaughterhouse scenes either.  And I didn't even recognize Josh Duhamel as Frank Dunning.  He's come a long way from the lovable Leo of AMC.  I think I'm almost glad Hulu is doing the standard release rather than Netflix-style.  This thing is so dark and scary, I don't know if I could handle binge-watching it.  

• Love 2

Still liking the show, even though this subplot has little to do with JFK. Glad to see Duhamel playing against type. I'm confused by Cooper's character -- he urges Jake to stop the assassination but warns about the havoc from the past pushing back. And what was up with that kid suddenly appearing with a knife? His sister died how many years ago? And he suddenly wants to do something about it by threatening Jake?

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 1

Good lord, Jake. His bumbling and reckless lack of planning were driving me crazy. Why was his first inclination to go find Dunning? To do what, exactly -- talk him out of killing his family? There was no evidence that Jake knew what his next move would be after the murder, either. I suppose Jake missing his shot at Dunning from 4' away could be attributed to the past pushback stuff, but why Jake waited so long in the house before trying to help, while Doris was screaming and there were trails of blood, was kind of baffling.

What does he think is going to happen now with Doris and the kids left in the house with a dead body? A ton of people saw him leaving the house bloody and battered, so I don't suppose Doris will be charged, but you never know. It's possible Doris may be left in dire financial straits now without any child support. The kids are certainly scarred, as well as being without a father they were previously shown to be close to.

Even though Duhamel played against type, I can't help thinking Henry--played by Leon Rippy--will become a serial killer.

I too fast-forwarded the cow scene.  Is it worth it to ask for Cliff's Notes?  If it's gross maybe in spoiler bars for the others not even wanting to read what happened?  

I liked this episode better.  Though it was painful to see how slow Jake moved in that house, with 3 lives at stake.  

I didn't watch all that closely.  Who is the dude who's sister got killed?  Was he one of Josh D.'s posse?  And did he show up at the end with the newspaper clipping from Jake's room?  Was Jake heading back to the present without taking that?  

Really liked this one.  So he stopped the killings but he can't go to his own time to see how that worked out because it will reset when he goes back to stop Oswald?  But now at the very least the police will question him about what happened.

I love Michael O'Neill.  He seems to show up in a lot of my shows and always gives a breathtaking performance.  I literally held my breath while he was telling his silver star WWII story.

• Love 2

It didn't show the cow being killed, thankfully. I'm a vegetarian, and was wincing.

The young bartender (who Jake talked to in the bar) was the guy whose sister had been killed by Josh Duhamel's character when the bartender was younger (per the bartender). He's who showed up at the end with the newspaper clipping. I was thinking maybe Jake left his stuff in his room at the "Christians'" house, but I just realized the guy could've gotten it from the car when Jake was washing his hands (if Jake had planned ahead and packed his stuff). For all I know, the kid was hiding in the car the whole ride from Holden to the random water spigot alongside the road. (Was that a thing in 1960?)

Edited by bilgistic

I too fast-forwarded the cow scene.  Is it worth it to ask for Cliff's Notes?  If it's gross maybe in spoiler bars for the others not even wanting to read what happened?

I tune out of good shows if the violence is gratutious. This was carefully edited. Definitely nothing as gross as what is shown on Bones, which I do not quite consider to be OTT vis a vis gratuitous gore.

It didn't show the cow being killed, thankfully. I'm a vegetarian, and was wincing.

The young bartender (who Jake talked to in the bar) was the guy whose sister had been killed by Josh Duhamel's character when the bartender was younger (per the bartender). He's who showed up at the end with the newspaper clipping. I was thinking maybe Jake left his stuff in his room at the "Christians'" house, but I just realized the guy could've gotten it from the car when Jake was washing his hands (if Jake had planned ahead and packed his stuff). For all I know, the kid was hiding in the car the whole ride from Holden to the random water spigot alongside the road. (Was that a thing in 1960?)

Yeah, the spigot.  I was like, "Hey, look!  Apparently random light posts had water spigots!"  lol  

It's funny that most of us can watch humans killed in all kinds of awful ways but make it poor defenseless livestock and we can't watch.  I'm not even a vegetarian but I'm not going to watch animal cruelty even just acted, for entertainment.  

Thanks for the details.  It occurred to me later the kid was probably the bartender.  

Well geez Louise..If I hadn't dropped in here I'd still be wondering who that guy was! He was the bartender..Got it.

The poor cow thing made me hide my face and cringe. To much gory tv so I was expecting a horrible look at poor smashed cow. Thank heavens they left it up to our imaginations. Just like in a good book ! Don't need to SEE everything.

Still loving the show. Francos good and I'm not even a big fan of his.

Josh Dumael!!!! I loved him on All My Children and watched Las Vegas just because he was on it. I had never even imagined him as a big scary guy. WOW was I wrong. And the emmy goes to.....

I love Michael O'Neill.  He seems to show up in a lot of my shows and always gives a breathtaking performance.  I literally held my breath while he was telling his silver star WWII story

.He is always a welcome presence, and the story he tells Jake about his actions in WW2 was a highlight. Except I was kind of put out by the fact that the character should have been relating a WW1 tale. I wasn't sure how  old Michael O'Neill was. But I figured the character was in his  60's. That would make him more likely a WW1 vet, as he would have been of age to fight that war. He would have been in his 40's for WW2. I know there were people in their 40's who served in WW2, but they were certainly not the majority of those fighting, who were a generation younger.

But I will let it slide, since O'Neill put in a good performance.

• Love 1

The WW2 story was another I tuned out.  I don't know if it was the music or what but I figured it was going to be gruesome and not pertain to the story itself, just add more creepiness.  But I was laughing at Franco's faces toward the end.  I think when someone is looking at you in open, abject disgust and horror like that, you would normally not just keep plowing into it.  

Maybe that was the point, though.  "Welcome to our saintly, hyper-Christian abode, now sit and let us torture you with tales of horrible acts from our past, recounted as if its nothing.  Oh, and no food in your room, young man."

He is always a welcome presence, and the story he tells Jake about his actions in WW2 was a highlight. Except I was kind of put out by the fact that the character should have been relating a WW1 tale. I wasn't sure how  old Michael O'Neill was. But I figured the character was in his  60's. That would make him more likely a WW1 vet, as he would have been of age to fight that war. He would have been in his 40's for WW2. I know there were people in their 40's who served in WW2, but they were certainly not the majority of those fighting, who were a generation younger.

Good catch! That didn't even occur to me, but you're right that the age is off.

No love yet for Annette O'Toole's return to a Stephen King miniseries?

I didn't think much of O'Toole's performance one way or the other, to be honest. It was very one-note, but was written that way so I can't fault her. Jack's final scene with Edna where he asked her not to call the Sheriff was pretty dumb of him (some more, again). C'mon, Jack. The police are certain to be after you -- not like you were at all subtle or inconspicuous about murdering someone.

I feel like I got a bit of a bait and switch in this episode. Lure me in with an intriguing plot about going back to change the fate of JFK and the nation and stop the assassination, and after a strong start to the mini-series, Jake's already defeated and refocusing on saving the boy who became the broken man? It's not that I don't want him to help the boy, Josh Duhamel is heinous, but excellent here and deserves to die, but that's not the story I signed on for either.

I didn't read the book, and I typically steer clear of Stephen King as I don't like horror and violence much, I like regular action. So this episode was a complete waste for me in large part, I had to listen to half of it, not watch it dreading exactly what graphic image was about to be shown. There was disturbing imagery throughout and the threat of violence in every scene. And none of it was focused on the core plot that this series was supposed to be about, which would have been more justifiable in my mind. So, this episode was a miss from me. We did learn some stuff, mostly about what Jake is made of, and I'm not saying it wasn't intriguing, but I am confused by it. Not sure what to think exactly. This isn't even a TV series, but a mini-series, so it seems like they shouldn't have time to waste on much else.

Not bailing on this yet, but do hope this refocuses and becomes much more of a continuation of what the pilot promised than what we got in this episode. I mean, I'm trying to remember one mention, at all, of JFK or getting to Dallas in particular or confirming or figuring out the JFK's killer outside of the newspaper clipping held up to end the scene. I signed up for this strictly based off the original premise, so to keep me here, it's going to need to be about that again I think.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 2

Jasmine, having read the book, I will say that if you want a strict, straightforward "guy stops JFK assassination and puts the world right" story this is not for you. I'm aware that the series is diverging a little bit, but I don't think they will go that afar from the book.

Not bailing on this yet, but do hope this refocuses and becomes much more of a continuation of what the pilot promised than what we got in this episode. I mean, I'm trying to remember one mention, at all, of JFK or getting to Dallas in particular or confirming or figuring out the JFK's killer outside of the newspaper clipping held up to end the scene.

It seems like this was one more example of Jake's disorderly and impulsive thought processes. He fully intended to start with Dallas -- and did -- but lost heart when he experienced such violent resistance from the past. Or maybe he was simply intending a reset in order to prevent the kid from being killed in the boarding house fire? Who knows. The subplot with the Dunnings was pretty solidly set up in the premiere, so I wasn't surprised when he decided more or less on a whim to try to "fix" that.

I'd describe the overall subject matter more as "spooky and unnerving time travel" rather than simply JFK in and of itself.

Maybe that was the point, though.  "Welcome to our saintly, hyper-Christian abode, now sit and let us torture you with tales of horrible acts from our past, recounted as if its nothing.  Oh, and no food in your room, young man."

"And we'll feed you awful canned soup casseroles while you listen!"

I thought the story was intended to illustrate that even killing in "special" circumstances--like war or in defense of innocent people--is traumatizing.

• Love 2

The WW2 story was another I tuned out. I don't know if it was the music or what but I figured it was going to be gruesome and not pertain to the story itself, just add more creepiness.

It wasn't too gruesome, IMO (no visuals, or graphic descriptios of dismemberment, at least) and it definitely did pertain to the story.

I have a low threshold for gore and horror, and so far this show is okay. If, however, it turns out they are just lulling me in only to leap out and gross me out, I will not return.

But I am a time travel junky, and now this show has got me giving a passing thought to whether being obsessed with time travel for 50 years (since my 8th grade science fair project) is the cause of my own apparently inexplicable cancer (given that Al blaims his cancer on the time travel and the universe not wanting him to keep screwing with the continuum).

And Duhamel's uncharacteristic yet perfect performance sucked me in as much as the more seasoned character actors. So I'll be back next week (hopefully).

Edited by shapeshifter

It wasn't too gruesome, IMO (no visuals, or graphic descriptios of dismemberment, at least) and it definitely did pertain to the story.

Oh!  Then maybe I should ask for the Cliff's Notes on that from you guys!  My daughter was talking and I didn't go back and rewind because the parts I did hear were like, "a piece of my buddy's scalp flew into my shirt and I couldn't get it out" and "I carried him to the water, he was so sleepy, right up until I held his head under..."  I go the impression he killed a kid in Germany?  It makes sense if the message was 'even necessary killing fucks you up', if Jake's going to be wigged out by killing Dunning.  (But why did he have to drown a kid?) 

Cancer is a bitch.  I wish you the best with it. 

did hear were like, "a piece of my buddy's scalp flew into my shirt and I couldn't get it out"

That was the grossest line. He killed him because it was *possible* that he was the soldier who had killed his buddy. The situations weren't parallel, but I think the effect on an English scholar gunning down a serial spouse killer in hopes of making a better life for the guy's son in the future was the same as what the effect of killing the young soldier was on the veteran. Edited by shapeshifter

Thanks for the comments. I don't think this episode was ridiculously out of left field or anything, I do agree there was a setup for it in the first episode. But he seemed to have chosen that as his goal. the thing he could stop in the 60s, something more attainable. Which I do get and don't even have a huge issue with, what I have the biggest problem with is the episode being entirely devoted to this and only this. If someone had missed the first show and tuned in to this one, so think of it more as a network show airing on TV, they would easily have no idea what the setup to the series was, and that's my biggest issue with this episode. Because the episode in and of itself, was pretty great even if it creeped me out. It was so far away from the premise of the show that it makes me wonder what else is to come and I'm not optimistic that this is truly for me. Now luckily, I think this is only an 8-part mini series, so I'm 1/4 of the way through and I'm likely to finish, but you get what I mean.

Even if this is all a true interpretation of the book, which I can respect completely, I don't like the premise that I was sold by Hulu being usurped almost completely in one of the episodes. All the promotion I saw was that this mini-series was about going back to the 60s to stop the JFK assassination. It's title is the date of that day, not some other random name, everything they've shown me up until this episode is that this is supposed to be about stopping that from happening and changing history if it is accomplished. That's why I call it a bait and switch episode. I'm okay with this being about more, I just need them to be clear from the start that this might be a heck of a lot more about Jake's journey than Jake doing what he can to stop the JFK assassination. Hopefully that clarifies a bit what I mean.

I'm not saying this episode was a complete waste from character development standpoint, but I stand by what I said about someone being able to watch this entire second part and not know until the final seconds that this mini-series might be largely about something else entirely.

• Love 1

Either I'm forgetting something or Jake didn't have any obstacles thrown up when he was carrying out his plan to murder Dunning, even though he experienced so many of them in Dallas. It seems like "the past" has a hierarchy of minor vs major changes that it's going to resist.

I loved seeing Josh Duhamel in this, surprised me he was in this. He played the bad so well.

All those people outside the house when Jake came out, where were they when Doris was screaming for help and about to be murdered?

I laughed at asking the pharmacist for Gatorade. "Gator what?"

Either I'm forgetting something or Jake didn't have any obstacles thrown up when he was carrying out his plan to murder Dunning, even though he experienced so many of them in Dallas. It seems like "the past" has a hierarchy of minor vs major changes that it's going to resist.

I think the obstacles were there, but were maybe better integrated into the story and therefore seemed less impactful. A car didn't nearly crash into Jake out of the blue (as in the first episode) as he stood across the street, casing the Dunnings' house, but the bartender from earlier in the episode showed up and pulled a knife on him. It made him "late" to stop the murders, and the violence had begun. He failed to stop Frank's rampage for a while even after shooting him (and hitting him only in the shoulder) at very close range.
  • Love 1

I think the obstacles were there, but were maybe better integrated into the story and therefore seemed less impactful. A car didn't nearly crash into Jake out of the blue (as in the first episode) as he stood across the street, casing the Dunnings' house, but the bartender from earlier in the episode showed up and pulled a knife on him. It made him "late" to stop the murders, and the violence had begun. He failed to stop Frank's rampage for a while even after shooting him (and hitting him only in the shoulder) at very close range.

Right, Turcotte delayed Jake. There was also his stomach bug.

I think it's also true, though, that the more important the event, the harder the past fights back.

• Love 1

...I don't like the premise that I was sold by Hulu being usurped almost completely in one of the episodes. All the promotion I saw was that this mini-series was about going back to the 60s to stop the JFK assassination. It's title is the date of that day, not some other random name, everything they've shown me up until this episode is that this is supposed to be about stopping that from happening and changing history if it is accomplished. That's why I call it a bait and switch episode. I'm okay with this being about more, I just need them to be clear from the start that this might be a heck of a lot more about Jake's journey than Jake doing what he can to stop the JFK assassination....

This could have been easily remedied if the killing of the family had also taken place on that same date. I haven't read the book, so maybe not "easily," but I get your point that they could have integrated it a bit better. Alternatively, at the end of the episode Jake could have told the bartender/widower that he was here to stop the assassination of the president, but wasn't able to do it, so he thought he could at least stop this one killing.

But that would be kind of Exposition Fairy-Speak, and I think the show runners are aiming higher. I think they wanted this episode to stand on its own without the JFK element--to maybe prove that those who do not want to watch yet another JFK conspiracy story could get drawn in if they happened upon this episode by itself. Sorry if I now sound like a conspiracy nut re the show runners.

ETA: For those of us who have seen both episodes, this one illustrates that a murder can be stopped, although, as mentioned above, the greater pushback for a greater change of history might not be surmountable.

Edited by shapeshifter

Thanks for the comments. I don't think this episode was ridiculously out of left field or anything, I do agree there was a setup for it in the first episode. But he seemed to have chosen that as his goal. the thing he could stop in the 60s, something more attainable. Which I do get and don't even have a huge issue with, what I have the biggest problem with is the episode being entirely devoted to this and only this. If someone had missed the first show and tuned in to this one, so think of it more as a network show airing on TV, they would easily have no idea what the setup to the series was, and that's my biggest issue with this episode. Because the episode in and of itself, was pretty great even if it creeped me out. It was so far away from the premise of the show that it makes me wonder what else is to come and I'm not optimistic that this is truly for me. Now luckily, I think this is only an 8-part mini series, so I'm 1/4 of the way through and I'm likely to finish, but you get what I mean.

Even if this is all a true interpretation of the book, which I can respect completely, I don't like the premise that I was sold by Hulu being usurped almost completely in one of the episodes. All the promotion I saw was that this mini-series was about going back to the 60s to stop the JFK assassination. It's title is the date of that day, not some other random name, everything they've shown me up until this episode is that this is supposed to be about stopping that from happening and changing history if it is accomplished. That's why I call it a bait and switch episode. I'm okay with this being about more, I just need them to be clear from the start that this might be a heck of a lot more about Jake's journey than Jake doing what he can to stop the JFK assassination. Hopefully that clarifies a bit what I mean.

I'm not saying this episode was a complete waste from character development standpoint, but I stand by what I said about someone being able to watch this entire second part and not know until the final seconds that this mini-series might be largely about something else entirely.

I understand what you're saying completely, and at the risk of sounding rude (not my intention at all), this might not be the show for you. If you choose to keep watching just be prepared for lots of things unrelated to JFK to happen. The thing is Jake is in the past for years leading up to the assassination day, so he's going to do other things. I can't comment on whether or not there will be more episodes that are completely unrelated to JFK, but my guess is that there will be, or at least episodes that focus more on other things instead of JFK research. The Harry/Frank Dunning plot is really important to the story, so I'm not surprised at all that they spent a whole episode on it. I would honestly think they would spend more time on it, so we'll have to see what happens.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

No love yet for Annette O'Toole's return to a Stephen King miniseries? She, Michael O'Neill and the Machen lady were probably my favorite parts.

I was so excited to see her. It was the friggin' LEAST they could do since they moved Henry's hometown to Kentucky, not Derry. 

It's been a while since I read the book and I did not remember the part with calf at all. I was totally in suspense though. I did enjoy the episode. 

It seems like he's not going to go back to do a reset so we won't get to see how the Harry and his family thing turns out. That annoys me because I really wanted to see how that particular thing turns out. 

It seems like he's not going to go back to do a reset so we won't get to see how the Harry and his family thing turns out. That annoys me because I really wanted to see how that particular thing turns out.

Since time travel is my draw to the show as much as anything, I'm still hoping for a reset or two. Didn't Under the Dome start out as a limited series too? Maybe the finale will be a reset with hopes of being picked up for another season. Except James Franco is in the same class as Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson of Season One True Detective fame, so it would seem a second season would be without Franco.
  • Love 1

I suspect we'll see how that all turned out in the end.

I'm guessing that's not nearly the last we've seen of Frank. It's inevitable that Jake will need to reset at some point and wipe out the murder, either because it had unintended consequences in Harry's life, because being a cold-blooded killer starts to tear Jake apart, or for yet unknown reasons #2, #3, etc. I also think Duhamel is too big a name to only show up in two episodes!

Could someone tell me what they think was the point of seeing the bullies bullying Harry?  It didn't really add to the story of Jake killing Frank, and it didn't change anything Jake was planning, so I'm unsure what we were supposed to take from it.

Could someone tell me what they think was the point of seeing the bullies bullying Harry?  It didn't really add to the story of Jake killing Frank, and it didn't change anything Jake was planning, so I'm unsure what we were supposed to take from it.

It did seem kind of extraneous, but it showed that Harry was a punching bag for everyone except his mother and siblings. I thought Frank would go off on Harry for not defending himself and for losing his pants.

It did seem kind of extraneous, but it showed that Harry was a punching bag for everyone except his mother and siblings.

I heard a real life story of someone who was abused at home and then made fun of at school for showing up with bruises, so maybe it's common? Edited by shapeshifter

It did take me out of the story when Harry didn't bother picking up his other sneaker after being roughed up. Was it supposed to make me feel even sorrier for him that he was walking in one shoe? It just struck a false note.

The MASH joke made me smile, but why in hell would Jake say he served in the first place? In a conversation with an actual veteran, no less. Keep your story (and lies) simple, Jake!

The MASH joke made me smile, but why in hell would Jake say he served in the first place? In a conversation with an actual veteran, no less. Keep your story (and lies) simple, Jake!

I think he said it because a man Jake's age in 1960 would have been expected to have served in Korea. If he hadn't, what excuse could he give that wouldn't make his hosts more suspicious of him? The Mrs. already suspected he was a Communist for being a writer and reading things other than the Saturday Evening Post and Field and Stream!

Josh Duhamel was very good as the abusive, overbearing asshole. He immediately hit that archetype of 'big man in a small town' as soon as he appeared in the bar. That strong, alpha male personality combined with his humble station and humiliation at being cast out by his wife, you just knew that there had to be so much rage seething underneath. Every scene he was in felt ominous and tense.

I didn't think there was anything odd about Henry, I have to say. He was just a young kid who suffered bullying as best he could, although the trauma of his father being killed might affect him. It won't be as bad as what originally happened.

Jake getting a sidekick is fine with me, whether it happened in the book or not. Because Jake needs someone to explain stuff to, someone who can ask questions that aren't necessary when you're inside a person's head like you are when reading a book. The kid seems alright, so far, and I guess he's in the right era for buying a story about time travel, with all the hope and wonder of science and science fiction that was going on at the time.

I cracked up at the utterly uncaring gun store owner. A guy runs up to you, desperate to buy a gun now, and you joke about him doing something bad with it, then sell him one anyway. Sadly, that feels about right.

I liked the MASH joke too, and I'm happy for pop culture references like that to be dropped in. As long as Jake doesn't start singing Johnny B. Goode or Beatles songs, that is. I also liked seeing Michael O'Neill, formerly Agent Ron Butterfield in The West Wing.

I had my hands over my eyes and fingers in my ears during e whole killing flor scene chanting lalalala I can't hear you, my 84 year old mom, who was a young mom in 1960, watched the whole thing and laughed at me.

I freaking hate it when king gets too dark after things start going right. So I'm relieved we ended on an up note thoug this being king I fully expect one of the saved family to be a psychokiller or something. Gah! I hate that fucking bullshit so much. Because there is a HUGE differen between trying to change history and standing by allowing something awful to happen that you could prevent. Anyone with a conscience would feel morally bound to intervene to stop the shooting of friends. I assume that Harry's dad hit him very hard on the head which is why he became a kind of simple adult. Now he won't. Please, Im praying that even if king I the book makes Harry out to be a killer (I am NOT asking for book knowledge!!,) that the TV writers don't go there. I fucking hate the "you can't cange fate" trope. This is not Oedipus Rex. Also I really don't like the creepy/eerie "you shouldn't e here" stuff, king uses things like that all the time and usually doesn't have it worked out. I do like the rules for his time travel.l. He can bring stuff, doesn't show up naked, etc.

• Love 2

I would have said either something about bad arches kept me out, or I was a war reporter for AP (he already said he was a writer), or I was a medical assistant. The main lie needs to be simple and keep you out of actual combat.

I also wouldn't have been a jerk and called everyone basically stupid at the bar either. And I would have swung the hammer. Dude, it was a pissing contest. That cow is burgers anyway. 

I was misremembering that if Jake went back to the present that all of this would have been erased, but that it's if he goes back and returns. I get that there may be unforeseen consequences, but I'm sure the rest of the family are glad they aren't dead.

I think this was also a subset of "I wasn't sure Oswald did it". You can't just roll into town and shoot Frank if the guy was actually just writing a story. Now that we know it's legit, I think it would be hilarious if Jake resetted and just rolled up next time and shot the guy. 

I agree that the perceived age of the actor for a WWII story wasn't right, but the actor is really good in everything, and you're not going to get that story from WWI, so I can wave it with he was in his 30s in WWII and he's in his 50s now. 

• Love 1