Type keyword(s) to search

Ray Pruit Of 90210 Had A Fake Band With A Real #1 Hit

• Start Topic

Wait, I distinctly recall the Friends theme song and the Party of Five theme song being hits back in the day...were they just not number one hits? Hard to believe about Friends. That song was on the radio about 1,000 times a day back in 1995.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure I saw every second of The Heights and probably loved it, but until about fifteen minutes ago I had completely forgotten absolutely everything about it, including it's name and the name of the song, but the girl in the video making out with not-Ray-Pruit-with-one-T is Paige Woodward from Pump Up The Volume, which was my favourite movie back then. The whole thing is so 90s - and not in a good way - that I had to turn it off halfway through. Too. Much. Hair. 

• Love 3

OMG, I had a HUGE crush on Jamie Walters!!!

He was in an otherwise horrible movie called "Shout", and I was so obsessed that I made my local video store save the poster for me. I requested it months before the film hit the store, and was sincerely disappointed when I saw that freakin' John Travolta's face took up most of it. There was just a small still of Walters (with Heather Graham) toward the bottom corner. Glenn Quinn (aka Mark from "Roseanne") was in it, too. R.I.P.

I dropped out of "90210" viewership pretty early on, and I never watched "Melrose Place" at all, but I saw every damn episode of "The Heights". I was pretty pissed when they cancelled it.

I now want to watch this series.  It looks so hilariously bad and watchable.  Also, Mama Smoak (tm Arrow) is in it.  I wonder if she drinks Unicorn Blood, because she has aged beautifully.

Are we sure it wasn't a 90120 spin-off?  Ray Pruit Redeems Himself?

I had the cassingle of How Do You Talk to an Angel back in the day - and being completely honest here - I have it on my iPod now. I tried to find The Heights a few months back, hoping someone had put it on youtube, so I could have a rewatch, but had no luck. :(

The song must have been a big success because I remember hearing it a lot on the radio here in Greece (and loving it), even though The Heights never aired here. I never realized that Jamie Walters was the vocalist until now.

Also, was David's boss from the college radio station on this show? The one Donna and David went to interview for and ended up arguing about brie cheese? I'm pretty sure that was him on the video clip.

Edited by Callie

This song came out when I was in college. One night I met a guy who was a dead ringer for Jamie Walters and we hit it off amazingly. When I mentioned how much he looked like Ray Pruit he sang this song to me and managed to cop a feel. A terribly romantic night in my life!

• Love 5

I thought the same thing, but IMDb tells a different story. He was on The Heights in 1992 and 90210 from 1994-1996. Maybe Fox reran The Heights after his arc on 90210? Networks reran things sometimes back then, strange as it may seem now.

you're right, I remember The Heights in '92 back when I was a little 23-year-old SAHM, coveting their babydoll dresses and combat boots with moto jackets (and occasionally, after a very colicky day, the life of a rich-girl-thrift-store-worker-slash-musician)

OMG, I had a HUGE crush on Jamie Walters!!!

He was in an otherwise horrible movie called "Shout", and I was so obsessed that I made my local video store save the poster for me. I requested it months before the film hit the store, and was sincerely disappointed when I saw that freakin' John Travolta's face took up most of it. There was just a small still of Walters (with Heather Graham) toward the bottom corner. Glenn Quinn (aka Mark from "Roseanne") was in it, too. R.I.P.

I must have been under a rock, I had no idea Glenn Quinn had died!

• Love 1

I must have been under a rock, I had no idea Glenn Quinn had died!

My rock must be next to yours, 'cause I had no idea until just a few months ago.

Something (god knows what) made me think of a *super* short-lived show from the early '90s call "Convington Cross", only I couldn't remember the name of it. I did remember that Ione Skye was in it, so I looked up her IMDB, followed it over to the CC page, and then went "Oh yeah, Mark from "Roseanne" was in this. He was a cute dude, I wonder whatever happened to him?" and clicked his page.

I had no idea he had a drug problem, let alone that he died way back in 2002.

• Love 1

I scrolled by this this morning, and had a nostalgic chuckle, then when I got into the cab, this song was legitimately on the radio. No joke.

And yes, Charlotte Ross doesn't seem to age at all, and god love her for it.

• Love 2

This topic is old but, a couple of things. The Heights aired before Jamie joined 90210, so not a spin-off. He did sing it on 90210 a heck of a lot, though. Also the article is wrong, the Rembrandt’s theme song for Friends was number one for 8 weeks. Closer to free from party of five never made it to number one. 

• Love 1

I didn't watch the show, as I think I was in the bridge of end of HS (if it was '92). I do remember LOVING the girl with the long platinum blonde hair.  Luckily I was out of the country in 94-95, so I missed all the Friends mania and how the theme song was a hit (WTF?)

I have vague memories of the song, but more of what I remember was how Jamie was dating Drew Barrymore and she did that spread in Playboy I think.  Drew along with Winona Ryder (post Johnnie Depp breakup) were the Taylor Swifts of my time.

20 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I have vague memories of the song, but more of what I remember was how Jamie was dating Drew Barrymore and she did that spread in Playboy I think.  Drew along with Winona Ryder (post Johnnie Depp breakup) were the Taylor Swifts of my time.

(Clutches velvet choker) How dare you! Drew and Winona were cooler than Swift will ever be. They just all got what we now call slut-shamed for active dating lives. 

• Love 3

Speaking of 90s band-centered shows, did anyone watch Catwalk, starring a pre-"Party of Five" Neve Campbell? I looooved  that show and had a huge crush on the "low budget Freedom Williams from C&C Music Factory" guy. It was Canadian and syndicated on weekends before WB and UPN were a thing.

I didn't watch the show, as I think I was in the bridge of end of HS (if it was '92). I do remember LOVING the girl with the long platinum blonde hair.

I had known Charlotte Ross from DOOL since as long as I could remember, so I remember being really surprised to see a soap person on a nighttime show for some reason. 

• Love 1
On 9/25/2017 at 11:37 AM, CurlyATX said:

I didn't watch the show, as I think I was in the bridge of end of HS (if it was '92). I do remember LOVING the girl with the long platinum blonde hair.  Luckily I was out of the country in 94-95, so I missed all the Friends mania and how the theme song was a hit (WTF?)

UGH. Before they Rembrandts recorded a full version of the song, radio stations played this obnoxious looped version that replayed the same thing over and over and over. I remember going in the dining commons and hearing that almost every morning. They must have played it at the same time because it was basically the soundtrack to my breakfast-gathering that year.

• Love 1