Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Bad For The Soul

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Firehouse 51 responds to an odd call from a neighboring firehouse and the unusual circumstances prompt Severide and Cruz to take the investigation into their own hands to search out the real story. The truck welcomes new firefighter Stella Kidd, but her addition has repercussion inside the firehouse. Casey moves forward in his run for alderman, but begins to realize that some voters have their own personal agendas for wanting him elected.

Wondering on the odds that they'd have 2 female firefighters in the same house.  

Could be, but then again maybe it's just an illusion.

"Get out of my bar."

Edited by preeya

Of course the new firefighter is female, and of course she and Dawson have been best buds for years.  Though I'm assuming when Dawson says they were in training at the same time, she meant like her induction into the CFD in general, because we saw Dawson's actual firefighting training, and there was one other woman there.  Couldn't Dawson just know her because after becoming a firefighter she reached out or was reached out to by other females in the department, instead of yet another "of course I've known this person for years, even though I never mentioned her to anyone including my fiance and when deciding to become a firefighter didn't mention knowing one of the current female firefighters"?

Convenient that so many of these guys who want to be firefighters also happen to be fully certified paramedics, and that you can apparently just jump between riding a truck and an ambulance, even though there are other paramedics waiting to be assigned a permanent positions, and presumably will cause no issues with training or losing his place in the candidate line for Jimmy whenever new female firefighter leaves/dies/is kicked out.

Casey, I love you, but you are way too noble and strictly rule minded to be a politician, especially in a city like Chicago.

• Love 1

Given the woman's age and that she has a couple of years on Jimmy, I'd guess that she and Dawson know each other from Dawson's beginning paramedic days, not the firefighter training.  It didn't bother me that she hadn't mentioned her before, since it didn't look like they'd really kept in touch (Stella seemed surprised that Dawson was at 51, for example.)  

I am a little more skeptical of the Severide-Stella connection.  I'm hoping it's more interesting than a "they used to sleep together" thing.  But it can't be anything too nefarious, I suppose.

Jimmy's plotline is basically a rehash of Mills, but I do like that he has a different attitude about it.  I guess that means Chili's gone for good, which is a shame, because I really do feel like that was a crap exit.

I'm really enjoying the Casey-in-politics thing.  It probably won't end well (what does on this show?) but it's fun for now.  Of course, if I had the kind of family scandals that Casey had, I don't know if I'd be so cavalier about kicking out the political expert dude.  (Also, technically, Casey, it's your girlfriend's bar.  :-P)

I also laughed my ass off when Casey actually rescued the cat.  That poor photographer missed the shot of a lifetime.  :-)

• Love 3

Apparently EVERYONE in Chicago is a certified paramedic--imagine the secret continuing education classes Jimmy must have been taking to keep his EMT certification in effect. So is Jimmy going to be Brett's boss too?

So glad to see a less glamorous woman join the show.

• Love 1

Here we go same old same old,

the black gang asked for a favor and the white gang asked for a favor

the white guy (who used to be on house-yes?) favors the white guy because he is white like him and wears nice clothes

the black guys are thugs who don't wear nice clothes but want favors as well

next episode?  black gang retaliation 

and after a few commercials...

white (rich) gangs and black (poor) gangs have a group hug and that white guy who used to be on house rises above the controversy and wins whatever he was trying to win

can we get past this meme once and for all? it has gotten past old

Edited by Brigid
  • Love 1

I FF through most of the episode.

"I had a huge thing for you".
Me: "Huh? When?"

When a female character is better than Gabby in any field, you know she's a huge Mary-Sue.  And Gabby never had so many men falling for her, less in house, did she?

Sylvie dated Cruz, Otis was gaga about her, now she's set up for a romance with Jimmy (her "dear friend's" ex from yesterday? Ewww!) and I don't even count Roman...what's next, she's Severide's "end game"? Everybody loves Sylvie!

Well, everybody but me, now. Especially since I happened to like Chili and imo she was ruined in order to prop Brett.

• Love 1

As someone who lived in Chicago and now outside Chicago and who knew an alderman back in the day, I am still taken aback by Casey's aldermanic run. Why is he qualified and moreover why is he really interested? There are easier and much more effective ways to create positive change as an individual than by being an alderman, no matter how much Gabby wants to be an alderman's wife. Really, she should run, and then make it a full time job and leave the show. But since rich white gang got Casey's petitions signed and filed, apparently, and now hates him, maybe the petitions will magically be disqualified for signature errors.

I hope the actress who played Chilli left for greener pastures.

• Love 1

Dumbest gang members ever.  "We want you to remove the police cameras at this intersection."  A little blunt, don't you think?  No waiting until he's elected, or even on the ballot before making demands?  They need Lemond Bishop as their consultant.  Of course, the show set up the white gang the same way, but their demands were so much more discreet and suave. 

It's nice that Casey rescued the cat, but I would expect that the owners would get a good clawing as soon as he handed it over to them.

Not a PI, Severide?  Then don't act like one.  Facts and observations need to go in your report.  That's all.

Out of curiosity, how many aldermen does Chicago City Council have?  Are they apportioned by geography or population, and how big are the districts?

Can we get an A Street Car Named Desire shout out if Stella gets trapped in a building on some episode?

• Love 1

Dumbest gang members ever.  "We want you to remove the police cameras at this intersection."  A little blunt, don't you think?  No waiting until he's elected, or even on the ballot before making demands?  They need Lemond Bishop as their consultant.  Of course, the show set up the white gang the same way, but their demands were so much more discreet and suave. 

It's nice that Casey rescued the cat, but I would expect that the owners would get a good clawing as soon as he handed it over to them.

Not a PI, Severide?  Then don't act like one.  Facts and observations need to go in your report.  That's all.

Out of curiosity, how many aldermen does Chicago City Council have?  Are they apportioned by geography or population, and how big are the districts?

Can we get an A Street Car Named Desire shout out if Stella gets trapped in a building on some episode?

Good tells me there's 1 for every ward, and there are 50 wards.  And all but 1 is a democrat.

Here we go same old same old,

the black gang asked for a favor and the white gang asked for a favor

the white guy (who used to be on house-yes?) favors the white guy because he is white like him and wears nice clothes

the black guys are thugs who don't wear nice clothes but want favors as well

next episode?  black gang retaliation 

and after a few commercials...

white (rich) gangs and black (poor) gangs have a group hug and that white guy who used to be on house rises above the controversy and wins whatever he was trying to win

can we get past this meme once and for all? it has gotten past old

Well that's....not what happened.

Casey is still a firefighter, and he met with both sets of people he was introduced to. And when requested things for cooperation by both, he dismissed them both.  There was no group hug, and Casey hasn't won anything yet.  

If anything, I think the community leaders/ex-gang members come out with the more favorable interpretation.  They are straight forward about what they can offer and what they want.  And they seem to be willing to accept "no" for an answer. (There really isn't any need for gang retaliation.  Casey is only a candidate.  All they have to do is throw their support behind someone else.)

The rich white-collar guys were sneaky, underhanded, and two-faced.  They offer support with a smile and only push for their demands later.  And now it looks like they've declared war on him.  I honestly doubt this is going to end with any sort of friendly hug.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1

Especially since I happened to like Chili and imo she was ruined in order to prop Brett.

Agreed. I hate this whole storyline and any cast member who was involved. I especially cannot stand Sylvie anymore. I think that she may have topped Dawson in the spot for most propped character these last few episodes. Never have I seen a a character so ruined for the sake of another characters propping.

• Love 1

Of course the new firefighter is female, and of course she and Dawson have been best buds for years.  Though I'm assuming when Dawson says they were in training at the same time, she meant like her induction into the CFD in general, because we saw Dawson's actual firefighting training, and there was one other woman there.  Couldn't Dawson just know her because after becoming a firefighter she reached out or was reached out to by other females in the department, instead of yet another "of course I've known this person for years, even though I never mentioned her to anyone including my fiance and when deciding to become a firefighter didn't mention knowing one of the current female firefighters"?

This new firefighter chick came out of nowhere didn't she? She couldn't possibly have been in training with Dawson because she's supposed to be someone with seniority over Jimmy, which is why Jimmy got bumped. That would make her as recently graduated from the academy as Jimmy. On the other hand, if Dawson knew a long-term female fire fighter for years then why no mention of her during her year-long whine fest over trying to become a fire fighter? 

And what's the purpose of having two female fire fighters on the same squad and shift? Just so the guys there have more love interests? What utter BS. There are probably about 10 female fire fighters in the entire Chicago area and no two of them would be serving on the same shift.

Convenient that so many of these guys who want to be firefighters also happen to be fully certified paramedics, and that you can apparently just jump between riding a truck and an ambulance, even though there are other paramedics waiting to be assigned a permanent positions, and presumably will cause no issues with training or losing his place in the candidate line for Jimmy whenever new female firefighter leaves/dies/is kicked out.

Actually - in most major cities, yes - fire fighters do have to be certified EMTs. So that's realistic. Now, in my city, you have to be certified as an EMT to get on the fire fighting squad - and then once you're on it, you can let your EMT certification lapse. However, many fire fighters keep it current because they work as EMTs part time, when they're not on shift at the station, for extra money.

This thing with Casey running for alderman - I can see where it's going a mile away. He'll start to rise in the polls and his opponent will order a hit on him, or else whoever is supporting his opponent will. It's only a matter of time, people, before Casey once more faces certain death because someone's out to get him.

Agreed. I hate this whole storyline and any cast member who was involved. I especially cannot stand Sylvie anymore. I think that she may have topped Dawson in the spot for most propped character these last few episodes. Never have I seen a a character so ruined for the sake of another characters propping.

This seems to be a running theme for the Chicago franchise - ruin a female character to prop the show's Mary Sue. They had Jones commit suicide so Dawson could get a candidate spot at 51. On PD Nadia got raped and murdered just to give Lindsey a whiny storyline. I'm curious to see what will happen to Kidd. After they use her as a love interest for someone, of course.

The Casey alderman race isn't very interesting, and his answers were so pat.  I will hold police accountable.  I will make sure they obey the law.  Wow, that really differentiated you from the pack!

Was anyone else nervous for Cruz after Severide outed him to Richter?  "Joe Cruz, I mean a man in my squad noticed that you lied about the fall and might be a violent criminal.  What's your response so that I can add it to my report?"  Kelly is too stupid to be in charge.

• Love 2

When a female character is better than Gabby in any field, you know she's a huge Mary-Sue.  And Gabby never had so many men falling for her, less in house, did she?

Sylvie dated Cruz, Otis was gaga about her, now she's set up for a romance with Jimmy (her "dear friend's" ex from yesterday? Ewww!) and I don't even count Roman...what's next, she's Severide's "end game"? Everybody loves Sylvie!

Well, everybody but me, now. Especially since I happened to like Chili and imo she was ruined in order to prop Brett.

LOL when Brett told Jimmy that I Said "Since when? That came out of nowhere!" Now I'm dreading them hooking up. AND you joke about her being Severide's "endgame" but watch it happen. I remember when she came on I had instant fears of "oh no she looks similar to Shah and she's Heterosexual, this is so Severide can bed her" I'm surprised that man whore hasn't yet actually. I really find the idea of her and Jimmy gross cause he's already slept with Chill and they were friends. Just like it's gross that Mills and Casey both screwed Gabi.

• Love 1

Come to think of it: has Severide the man-whore ever slept with a female member of House 51? IIRC he never expressed an interest in Gabby nor Chili or Brett and Shay was never on the -ahem- table. Kinda impressive given his reputation.

Of course who knows what happens with new girl but I hope he manages to keep a clean in-house record. They know each other but I got more of a family vibe. Which would be fine by me - I miss Severide being friends with a woman. His relationship with Shay was one of my favorite things about the show.

• Love 1

What I didn't get was her line where she basically said too bad you are leaving because something could have happened. Except after all she has seen and experienced about how in house relationships work, if she wants to date him, isn't it better that he is leaving. Not to mention he is not transferring to another country.

• Love 1

So, just watched and I don't get all the hand ringing over whether dude lied or not. In the real world, there would be supervisors and probably shift Chiefs involved in documenting why one fire house was called to rescue someone at another fire house. Not to mention, this is a workman's comp issue. Joe Cruz wouldn't and shouldn't be the only eyewitness to the ladder position.

I wanted to know what kind of chief would decide to send two guys who were fighting with one threatening the other outside by themselves to work on high ladder drills. SMH

Edited by Crs97
  • Love 4

Come to think of it: has Severide the man-whore ever slept with a female member of House 51? IIRC he never expressed an interest in Gabby nor Chili or Brett and Shay was never on the -ahem- table. Kinda impressive given his reputation.

Of course who knows what happens with new girl but I hope he manages to keep a clean in-house record. They know each other but I got more of a family vibe. Which would be fine by me - I miss Severide being friends with a woman. His relationship with Shay was one of my favorite things about the show.

He slept with the receptionist girl back in the beginning of season 1 a few times.  The one whose dad was a friend of Boden.  This ended up biting him in the ass pretty hard during that sexual harassment storyline later.  

He also has expressed some interest in Brett in early season 3, but that seemed like it was more about her surface resemblance to Shay than anything more substantial.  He was still grieving.  Aside from that, there really hasn't been a large enough pool of women at 51 for Severide to choose from.  Shay was off limits, obviously, Dawson would have probably murdered him by now even if she weren't already hung up on Casey and Mills, and he seemed to find Jones obnoxious.

I really don't think Severide's slept with this new firefighter yet.  Or rather, he might have (it is Severide after all), but I don't think that's the big secret.  There isn't any real reason to keep that a secret: they wouldn't have been working together yet, and Severide is known for being a bit of a manwhore.  And honestly, considering that pretty much everyone in the CFD seems to know about Casey and Dawson, it doesn't seem like much of a scandal even if they were working together at the time.  I think that there has to be some other reason for the secrecy.

THIS HAPPENED?! OMG! What the hell is wrong with these writers?

Was the angry EMT the goofy guy from the Sonic commercials?

THAT'S where I knew him from!! It's been bothering me since Tuesday!!!

This thing with Casey running for alderman - I can see where it's going a mile away. He'll start to rise in the polls and his opponent will order a hit on him, or else whoever is supporting his opponent will. It's only a matter of time, people, before Casey once more faces certain death because someone's out to get him.

My money is on Molly's getting fire-bombed as intimidation by his opponants. Wait...have they already done that? 

Whatever. Like it matters....

Edited by ChicksDigScars

I mean, they completely ruined Brett's storyline in every way possible and I liked her character a lot. Before she came to Chicago she had fiancee, then she dated Cruz, Otis had an eye for her and I think he still has (based on his reaction about Jimmy working with her on ambo) and also she had a fling with Roman from PD. In some interview when season 4 premiered one of the writers said that they explored a romance with Brett and Severide, but eventually decided not to go for it because it would look bad on everyone (Cruz, Severide and her) - TRUE STORY.I kind of liked the idea of Brett/Severide pairing because they are complete opposites and it would be interesting to see him settle down for once. Basically they didn't go for it because she was a good girl and they wanted to present her that way. Now they're doing EXACTLY what they said it would look bad - Brett telling Jimmy she had a thing for him since he came to the 51. What? They never showed any scenes that would indicate that. And it looks bad because Chilli was with him and she and Brett are friends. Exactly the same. This Jimmy and Brett thing is just beyond weird. Not that I don't like them as a couple it's just the way they started this whole thing. Oh shocker, he is also qualified paramedic.

And this new firefighter... She reminds me of Dawson. Not in looks but just the way she is - her character as strong, independent woman. I don't like it. It's not original at all. We already have one Gabby and she's enough.

• Love 2
In the real world, there would be supervisors and probably shift Chiefs involved in documenting why one fire house was called to rescue someone at another fire house. Not to mention, this is a workman's comp issue. Joe Cruz wouldn't and shouldn't be the only eyewitness to the ladder position.

Maybe they need to add a big "H" (for handwaving) to those parental advisory codes at the beginning of the episodes.

• Love 1

This new firefighter chick came out of nowhere didn't she? She couldn't possibly have been in training with Dawson because she's supposed to be someone with seniority over Jimmy, which is why Jimmy got bumped. That would make her as recently graduated from the academy as Jimmy. On the other hand, if Dawson knew a long-term female fire fighter for years then why no mention of her during her year-long whine fest over trying to become a fire fighter? 

And what's the purpose of having two female fire fighters on the same squad and shift? Just so the guys there have more love interests? What utter BS. There are probably about 10 female fire fighters in the entire Chicago area and no two of them would be serving on the same shift.

Actually - in most major cities, yes - fire fighters do have to be certified EMTs. So that's realistic. Now, in my city, you have to be certified as an EMT to get on the fire fighting squad - and then once you're on it, you can let your EMT certification lapse. However, many fire fighters keep it current because they work as EMTs part time, when they're not on shift at the station, for extra money.

Had the same thought.

And this new firefighter... She reminds me of Dawson. Not in looks but just the way she is - her character as strong, independent woman. I don't like it. It's not original at all. We already have one Gabby and she's enough.

Isn't it a bit early to make that judgment?  The woman's had all of four speaking lines.

• Love 2

Perhaps some distinction should be made between EMT-B (basic), sometimes called EMT-1 or something else, which generally requires about one semester of classwork and fieldwork, at least here in CA, and EMT-P (paramedic), which requires some serious prerequisites to get into the course, two semesters at least,  and almost a full time commitment to the course work and hospital/ambulance time.  It would not be easy balancing shift work at the FD and Paramedic study.  Most FDs here require basic EMT to work on any piece of apparatus, but paramedic only on the ambulance or a designated paramedic staffed engine.

I mean, they completely ruined Brett's storyline in every way possible and I liked her character a lot. Before she came to Chicago she had fiancee, then she dated Cruz, Otis had an eye for her and I think he still has (based on his reaction about Jimmy working with her on ambo) and also she had a fling with Roman from PD. In some interview when season 4 premiered one of the writers said that they explored a romance with Brett and Severide, but eventually decided not to go for it because it would look bad on everyone (Cruz, Severide and her) - TRUE STORY.I kind of liked the idea of Brett/Severide pairing because they are complete opposites and it would be interesting to see him settle down for once. Basically they didn't go for it because she was a good girl and they wanted to present her that way. Now they're doing EXACTLY what they said it would look bad - Brett telling Jimmy she had a thing for him since he came to the 51. What? They never showed any scenes that would indicate that. And it looks bad because Chilli was with him and she and Brett are friends. Exactly the same. This Jimmy and Brett thing is just beyond weird. Not that I don't like them as a couple it's just the way they started this whole thing. Oh shocker, he is also qualified paramedic.

I hated and dreaded the idea of a Severide/Brett cause to me it was "oh look she looks similar to Severides gay Best friend Shay but she's hetero so Severide can bang her" and I agree this out of nowhere attraction for Jimmy makes her look bad. Her and Chill had some problems but they were good friends overall. Just like I didn't like it when they decided to have Otis be interested in Brett when she had been with his Bestie Cruz

Severide is beyond stupid.

He goes to 21's house and outright accuses his friend of attempted murderer, then names his witness!

It's not Severide's business! Write your report, and let the chips fall where they may.

Like someone said up thread, Casey's answers were too damn pat. They were typical political cliché.

And yes, most firefighters in any large city need to be EMT certified. My SIL is a paramedic/nurse with the Navy. EMT's can only do certain procedures. Paramedics do more, because they've had more education - like an actual 2 yr degree.

Her and Chill had some problems but they were good friends overall. Just like I didn't like it when they decided to have Otis be interested in Brett when she had been with his Bestie Cruz

Brett is starting to becomethe new Dawson with all the guys being into her.

Not sure about her/Chilli being friends. I always felt Brett sort of looked down on her a bit. I never felt she was as warm to her as she is with say Dawson.

Yes that was the Sonic guy still in character.

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else spotted him (Mrs. Torqy says I obsess over H!ITG's), and yes, he was playing the same nitwit as in the Sonic ads. I suppose by this time the actor is typecast...

Edited by torqy