Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: A Night Owl

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

While working at a sobriety checkpoint, Burgess finds a duffel bag full of heroin in the truck of a respected college professor who claims to know nothing about how the drugs ended up there. Voight decides to hold off on charging the unlikely suspect, and Olinksy and Antonio follow up on a lead to see who is behind the drug smuggling. At District, Roman expresses his desires to become a Field Training Office to Platt, and Mouse sets Halstead up with an off-duty security job working for the attractive owner of a medical marijuana clinic.

I liked the mentoring/friendship in this episode between Burgess and Lindsay. Burgess away from Ruzek is so much better. I liked Platt again in this episode; good scenes with Roman. The teasing, sarcasm and then mutual respect works for them. 

I was amused that the Green Clinic owner thought she was being charming/flirty with Halstead and he was just like Do.Not. Care, but yeah I'll do the job (because he wants $ for a better place to live). 

That professor should be on his hands and knees, begging for his wife and daughter's forgiveness. He was seriously delusional. 

• Love 4

Just a nit pick on the script: The characters referred several times to Windsor University as the place the professor was going. In fact, it is called the University of Windsor.

Just a nit pick on the script: The characters referred several times to Windsor University as the place the professor was going. In fact, it is called the University of Windsor.

TV Shows can't always get clearance to use the correct name of things. I'd say that's why they got the name wrong.

I think it was well done as a depiction of how people never really know other people as well as they think they do and how some people have secret lives; some with huge secrets.  

I thought Richard Thomas did a good job; he seemed overall - especially in the beginning, he seemed the classic milquetoast - Sad character.

• Love 1

That was depressing and rather bleak. Thank God for the Platt and Roman side-show. I take you don't hire Charisma Carpenter for a one episode slot. Cordy looks great - I hope they're not trying mess with Jay and Erin but give her character something better to do than flirt with her security guards.

• Love 1

Good on Burgess for following her instincts about John Boy being just a bit off. (Altho when they opened the trunk box and he was so surprised I almost fell for it.) I wish Voight had praised her for that - for following her cop instinct. At least Erin went to bat for her.

Are we to assume Olinsky biodaughter went the way of Sydney Poitier?

Is anyone else having problems with the mumbling? I had a tough time with this ep and had to rewind a lot. I *still don't know what Erin said to Burgess when she answered her phone and handed her the toothbrush at the same time.  maybe "don't leave it here?" #oldears

• Love 1

"Kim, just buy a new toothbrush."

Erin, don't stop being awesome.

That was my favorite line of the night. Burgess is jabbering on about her toothbrush at Ruzek's and Erin's just like get a new one crazy. I do like the friendship developing between them. The Boys Club at Intelligence needs some new blood. I guess Cordy is going to get in some kind of trouble and Jay will have to get involved. I don't really want problems with Jay/Erin. How about she be for poor Antonio who is just a side character at this point?

• Love 2

TV Shows can't always get clearance to use the correct name of things. I'd say that's why they got the name wrong.

The Wolf-verse in particular never uses the real names of schools. In New York City, Hudson University is the site of an amazing number of murders, rapes, and arsons.

• Love 2

That was my favorite line of the night. Burgess is jabbering on about her toothbrush at Ruzek's and Erin's just like get a new one crazy. I do like the friendship developing between them. The Boys Club at Intelligence needs some new blood. I guess Cordy is going to get in some kind of trouble and Jay will have to get involved. I don't really want problems with Jay/Erin. How about she be for poor Antonio who is just a side character at this point?

I thought Voight and Antonio would kinda be like co stars, but guess not.

I was wondering the same thing. Last I remember he got kicked out of his house and they had to crash with Ruzek and Burgess. Maybe after living with those two morons for a few days she made the choice to go back to juvie.
  • Love 1

Betsyboo, I ALWAYS have a problem with mumbling on this show, particularly Erin and Voight. Thank goodness for closed captioning or I'd miss three quarters of the dialogue!

Not just this show, everyone seems to mumble these days. Captioning can be your friend (now get off my lawn!)

For some cheap amusement, turn on captioning on your local newscast; it's so bad it's funny.

Richard Thomas at 61 is still looking like the John Boy of many years ago.

He does look remarkably well preserved. Probably has a portrait of himself in the attic that's getting progressively more hideous...

Edited by torqy
  • Love 2

How long was Not John Boy locked in that interrogation room? It seemed like a a couple of days at least. Did he ever have access to a lawyer? That really put my suspension of disbelief to the test.

ETA: I always have to put the closed captioning on when Voight is on, especially if he's trying pressure a suspect by muttering vaguely threatening things. Sergeant Mumbles drives me up the wall.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

We've had another two episodes since you asked this, and we STILL haven't seen or heard anything about this. I hate when they start something and then drop it. If they don't want to devote a lot of airtime to it then it's fairly easy to have a few throwaway lines, like showing Olinsky on the phone with her or Ruzek remarking to someone that he's "so glad Olinsky and Michelle got their own apartment," whatever. Just SOMETHING, please!

• Love 1