Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

And Elise is still in the lead for best dressed, Kasie needs a tailor/stylist/something and she can really bring the frump.

Hallie Jackson was best dressed.  She was on in the first block, just long enough to utter 2 sentences. 
I've often wondered how livid I'd be if I was up in 30 Rock at 5:15am prepping to be on air, in makeup, bright eyed and ready... and I speak for 20 seconds.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Hallie Jackson was best dressed.  She was on in the first block, just long enough to utter 2 sentences. 
I've often wondered how livid I'd be if I was up in 30 Rock at 5:15am prepping to be on air, in makeup, bright eyed and ready... and I speak for 20 seconds.

Actually, she was up even earlier as she co-anchored First Look with Ayman (and did a great job).  It's a shame she wasn't on more as I always enjoy her.

I agree, I was more than a little surprised when I saw them insert the Avenatti interview into MJ as it wasn't one of "Cassie's" (ok, that is never going to get old) finest moments.  Maybe that's their way of acknowledging him without actually having to have him on the show.

• Love 4

I am so annoyed with Joe et al going on and on about how "coastal elites" need to reach out to "middle America." Especially when those lamentations immediately follow the observation that 17% of the country controls something like 80% of the Senate.

Why doesn't Joe ever suggest that middle America reach out to the coastal elites?

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Why doesn't Joe ever suggest that middle America reach out to the coastal elites?

Bill Clinton won't let them.  Everything is Bill Clinton's fault. 

I'm really glad Mika wasn't there this morning, when they ran the SNL cold open, she would have pursed her lips and asked "who's Matt Damon?"

• Love 8

As a longtime lurker I have to comment on Elise Jordan's appearance today. Yeah she looked great but when she was talking about her time working for Kavanaugh, saying she never saw his temper when she was starting out and made some clerical errors! I was like wtf?? So he can keep his temper in check when something isnt a huge deal like most people do but try calling him on the carpet and watch out. I'm over her being on mj. I hope she goes over to Fox News and takes joe with her

• Love 8

Elise Jordan is the lone steadfastly devout Republican hold out.  Republicans gonna Republican.   Oh, and Joe.  Despite his protestations, he's Republican to his core.  Love how they laid Trump at the feet of the 1990s Clintons today.  He has such a hard on for them.

36 minutes ago, suomi said:

I missed it somehow and will be forever grateful if someone fills me in re Donny's smackdown on Elise. TIA.

He thoroughly refuted Elise's position that Kavanaugh was simply a man defending himself, and is honorable.  Donnie got kind of worked up and took her position apart very well.  Of course, when he finished, Joe insulted Donnie. 

"Would you be as offended if someone was as worked up as... i don't know Donnie... YOU!  YOU WALKED INTO THAT ONE!  YOU HAVE TO ADMIT YOU WALKED INTO THAT ONE!"
"Yeah, I'm not running for a seat on the Supreme Court."
"Aw c'mon Donnie." 
Something like that.

• Love 5

I will repeat myself from last week.

I'd like to hear one MSNBC host stop introducing Elise as a former Bush White House whatever. Two years ago she was working for Rand Paul. Enough said.

• Love 7

I wasn't paying much attention this morning to my tape of the show but I sat down as Elise was doing her 180 from last week when she thought Kavanaugh's tirade showed he didn't have the temperament to be a Supreme Court justice.  Now she's all what about his poor wife and family, blah blah blah.  I loved when Donnie spoke up and what he said.  I think he stunned everyone - or Joe just didn't let anyone else respond to Donnie.  Joe did what this show usually does when someone speaks against what everyone else was saying and ignore it - although in this case Joe made some joke? before moving on.

Then it was on to everything is the Clinton's fault.  I stopped and erased the tape when Joe was yammering about how the Democrats are only on the East and West Coasts and don't reach out to anybody in middle US.   I remember reading that the counties/areas Hilary won contribute something like 75$ of the GNP (I can't remember the exact number) so tell me Joe why isn't this important.   

• Love 4
5 hours ago, suziespend said:

As a longtime lurker I have to comment on Elise Jordan's appearance today. Yeah she looked great but when she was talking about her time working for Kavanaugh, saying she never saw his temper when she was starting out and made some clerical errors! I was like wtf?? So he can keep his temper in check when something isnt a huge deal like most people do but try calling him on the carpet and watch out. I'm over her being on mj. I hope she goes over to Fox News and takes joe with her

I didn’t realize she worked for him. I think they (vague they... this show and other shows) need to be more forthright when they have personal connections to people and stories they’re covering.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, suziespend said:

Yeah neither of them are there but good ole Rick Tyler's up early basically saying if a Supreme Court nominee is a liar who cares?  I wish Donnie was on again today to do his whackamole on him

This show is an active participant in the Republicans' effort to normalize Kavanaugh's lying and drunken past.   Most mornings, it's Scarborough.  Today, the guy with the dark hair sitting at the end of the table.   The reported drunken behavior as referred to by this morning's MJ correspondents seems more like alcoholism than college hijinks.   And you don't outgrow that. 

I switched off during the trade agreement discussion, when the panelist observed, approvingly, "Trump is in our heads every minute of every day."    

• Love 6

This is how bad the two supposed hosts' absence has become:  It's 45 minutes into the show and I just now realized neither one of them is there.  They are both gone so often (well, every day actually; one or the other) that it's become the norm.  Why call the show Morning Joe when said Joe is never on the set.   And his sidekick / lovebug can't be bothered either.   I realize that in today's world, "working from home" is a thing, but it shouldn't be when you're hosting a TV show.

• Love 3

It's weird.  If there's a television wonk out there, let us know if there is or has ever been a show where it's namesake is basically AWOL.

The biggest names in TV from Cronkite to Carson, hosted their shows every night.

• Love 3

I feel they don't even try to appear truely bipartisan anymore. Most of the democrats they have on sit there like mutes when a republican guest butters up to trump or his cronies. (We see you Gene Robinson) Lets get joy Reid on to see how that works out

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, stormy said:

Well Jim Vandehei ruined my day.

Walter Isaacson ruined mine.

So all we need with Judge Shouty is a “time out” and everything will be okay?

Wow, Barnicle just showed a little fire! I don’t want to live in a country like this either.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Walter Isaacson ruined mine.

So all we need with Judge Shouty is a “time out” and everything will be okay?

Wow, Barnicle just showed a little fire! I don’t want to live in a country like this either.

The real problem is that Judge Shoutys "time out" is s life term. 

• Love 6

NOTIFICATION:  This is a Cavanaugh palate cleanser: Doesn't Willie's hair look way darker, like he dyed it?

edited to add:  !!Kasey!! listened to us, she is wearing a fashionable lavender top with matching eyeshadow.  I am also wearing a fashionable lavender top with matching eyeshadow. I do not, however, have any lightening bolts accompany the mention of my name...

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

NOTIFICATION:  This is a Cavanaugh palate cleanser: Doesn't Willie's hair look way darker, like he dyed it?

I told Mr. Kemper the same thing!!  It's been looking like that for awhile.  The dark hair plus the pale skin make him look a little creepy..just me?

One thing a morning show should never be is dull...and this show is duulll.  When Stephanie Ruhle (or anyone) comes on at 9:00 it is like an alarm going off.  My biggest fear is that when (NOT if) the Twins go, Mika will be replaced by Kasie; for some reason I just don't care a lot for her anymore.  

I don't tune in to an early morning show to hear the same right-leaning platitudes spewing from the mouth's of the hosts and guests.  For awhile this show was kind of must-see tv when Joe and Meeka turned.  It was lively and had some humor (except for dour Meeka)...even through Joe's rants.  Today has been bad; but not that different from yesterday et al.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

edited to add:  !!Kasey!! listened to us, she is wearing a fashionable laveneer top with matching eyeshadow.  I am also wearing a fashionable lavender top with matching eyeshadow. I do not, however, have any lightening bolts accompany the mention of my name...

The color was pretty and it matched her eyeshadow nicely, but overall I thought her top looked like a bathrobe.

• Love 1

I gotta admit I had a genuine soft spot for Barnicle this morning. I don't know what it took for that fire to be lit under him, but it was real. Finally someone speaking truth to power.

Walter Isaacson was so God awful he made Jeffrey Goldberg palatable.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, stormy said:

I gotta admit I had a genuine soft spot for Barnicle this morning. I don't know what it took for that fire to be lit under him, but it was real. Finally someone speaking truth to power.

He disappointed me shortly after I praised him when he fell back on the tired, disproven "economic anxiety" trope.

• Love 1

Dynamics between Kasie and Wilie. No.

I don't think I'll watch KC/DC anymore. Her interaction with Avenatti was so bad. I don't know what the hell she thought she was doing.

I'm glad Richard Has was there to explain the 'real" new NAFTA this morning. 

• Love 1

I don't think I'll watch KC/DC anymore. Her interaction with Avenatti was so bad. I don't know what the hell she thought she was doing.

Who the fuck can overcome Avenhotti?  You have to be way stronger than Kasey is.  When he's on TV, he's a master of the screen. In fact, I'd love for him to run against Trump just to see him give Trump a debate beatdown. Mika can be his First Lady. (However, I do not want yet another inexperienced President)

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

Jeffrey Sachs was a good guest this morning promoting his book, along with Lanhee Chen.  They dismissed the "Trump as negotiator" theme as ludicrous.  They said he loudly breaks deals unilaterally, then reforms them the exact same way and names them something different.  They also said he's a destabilizing and dangerous.
Willie was a great host with them, but Kasie just sat and watched.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Willie was a great host with them, but Kasie just sat and watched.

It does seem like they're slowly figuring out who could take over when the Gold Dust Twins hit the road. Willie needs someone a little more spunky, that's why he was so great with Savannah guest hosting back in the early days.  They had a good friendship and teased the hell out of each other. 

Nicole Wallace would be good. I was listening to her on Katie Couric's pod doc of the 10th anniversary of the Palin interview, she was letting the f bombs fly, talking about how she was stoned out of her mind on Vicodin when she met Palin. (due to dental surgery) 

But I imagine she likes her 4 pm gig, doesn't have to get up at Zero Dark Thirty, gets home for the kids, etc. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

But I imagine she likes her 4 pm gig, doesn't have to get up at Zero Dark Thirty, gets home for the kids, etc.

I'd say she's the heir apparent to either Mathews or Chuck Todd, and she's clocking hours to get better.  4pm and the evening is a way better gig in terms of personal wear and tear and being seen.  It's harder for guests to appear and harder to dive into topics for 10+ minutes, but the pay is probably the same and you get to have a normal day.  She looks so so much better now than when she began 4 years ago on Morning Joe.  She looks happy, settled, rested, healthy, wealthy, and living right.

• Love 3

If these two ever leave, I beg MSNBC do not recycle your your slim stable of current hosts as new hosts. Go out and find someone new.

And I love Nicolle and her show and it would not be the same if she took over this.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, XOQueens said:

Is Mika officially a part time contributor now?

Hee, they are both back in their separate bunkers and are clearly going to have a good time mocking Trump's tax troubles.  Meeks has her boring navy blue top on and Joe really needs to rethink his background as all I can see is that his hair really does look like the torch on the Statue of Liberty (I have to go back and give writing credit to whomever first pointed that out).

Willie, Heidi and Podhoertz are also in attendance.

eta:  Writing credit goes to our friend WhineandCheez!

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, stormy said:

Why is Podhoretz on this show?  Ever?

I hope the three republican senators that are "on the fence", are watching Benjamin Wittes this morning.

See I'm not sure it matters what wittes says or the FBI or the Queen of Sheba. I feel all 3 of them along with joe mansion are going to vote to confirm because that's what their electorate want. From the looks of it they tied the FBI's hands with this is investigation that can't really investigate but it allows those 4 a way to vote yes. 

• Love 3

I can't believe they have rehashed the same Kavanaugh story for the first hour and have barely mentioned the NYT tax story which could be the story of the decade.  I am hoping it's because they have lined up some guests/experts to fill out the segment but knowing them probably not (I loved the clip from Showtime, I wish I subscribed to them).

eta:  ok, between Meeks squeaking during Richard Clarke's segment and it looks like more rehash for the second hour, I'm out.  Have a good day everybody.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 3

This might have been discussed previously and I missed it, but - why is Joe never on set anymore?  I don't get it, unless he's in FL or wherever his family lives, spending time with a sick relative.  But honestly, he's been gone for months.  I can't imagine another host on any channel never showing up in the studio and still having a show named after them.   I can't even take MJ seriously anymore; if they can't be bothered, I can't be bothered.   I find myself switching to CNN more and more often.   They drive me nuts too, but at least they drive me nuts from the studio.  They care enough about their jobs to show up for them.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, suziespend said:

I think I remember awhile ago joe said his mom had either Alzheimer's or dementia. Maybe he's dealing with that. But at least Mika made it to work today 

I really doubt that’s it since they have no issue showing up when they have a KYV event to shill. I’m more inclined to believe neither care enough to be bothered to either prep for the show or even do the least and show up. That’s why today (and days before) had so much old rehash, old info, and repeated material. 

Edited by XOQueens
Words
  • Love 3

Am I without caffeine or does Mika keep saying "GROW Your Value" when the sign behind her still says KYV???

Why is Podhoretz on this show?  Ever?

I was driving when I heard he was on and at the stoplight, I quickly took out my phone to see what color Chaps cotton cable knit sweater he was wearing today.  (I am that obsessed with dumb details)

Joe really needs to rethink his background as all I can see is that his hair really does look like the torch on the Statue of Liberty (I have to go back and give writing credit to whomever first pointed that out).

C'est moi....

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

Mika's having a Grow Your Value event and you get to go on stage and convince her to give you $25,000 bonus.  Didn't say if you have to sleep with Joe prior to the talk. 

Where the fuck is she getting $25,000 to give away?  And what is the criteria for the talk?

TBS, today's show was almost bearable. I had nothing else on the dvr to watch and I was cleaning while it was on so I didn't pay too much attention. 

John Podhoretz can kiss my ass. 

• Love 4

Scarborough seemed giddy about the idea that Kavanaugh is causing critical races to tighten, that Heitkamp is "in trouble" and Gillum is also at risk.

I'm half-serious when I say I wonder if he has been paid off to carry Trump's water again.   His shift in attitude over the last couple months is glaring.

• Love 5

I think it is unseemly for Mika to be doubting her ridiculous Know Your Value foolishness amidst the truly horrific Ford/Kavanaugh situation.

She's chirping on, tone deaf as ever, about "getting that raise!" and "earning a $25,000 bonus!" when it seems to me that most women in America and simply worried about not getting raped on the job.

• Love 8

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/joe-scarborough-medias-biased-kavanaugh-coverage-helping-trump-divide-the-country/

The media is too one sided? I must have missed this little gem.  Well at least we know what side  Mika and her Sisterhood of the Slut Shaming Menopausal Mean Girls fall on, because rich white ladies don't get raped, they get great new jobs and a million dollars deposited in their bank account. 

I think we know why Joe has a secret crush on Kavanaugh.  He was instrumental in the Starr investigation of Clinton. 

And it's the media's fault that Trump got elected?

So is Douchebro finally admitting his complicity in getting Trump elected? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I can't believe they have rehashed the same Kavanaugh story for the first hour and have barely mentioned the NYT tax story which could be the story of the decade.  I am hoping it's because they have lined up some guests/experts to fill out the segment but knowing them probably not (I loved the clip from Showtime, I wish I subscribed to them).

eta:  ok, between Meeks squeaking during Richard Clarke's segment and it looks like more rehash for the second hour, I'm out.  Have a good day everybody.

About a minute into the A block, they introduced the NYT tax story, but instead of discussing it seriously, it devolved into Joe calling him "Richie Rich" and laughing at his "hard-scrabble" existence. Willie then took over, summarized the story and said they'd dig into it, but went on to spend their time pleasuring Kavanaugh, because they must see something in it for themselves.

At the top of the whatever block (C, maybe) at about 43 minutes in, they showed clips of the upcoming Showtime film, The Family Business: Trump and Taxes. It's a documentary about the story mentioned above (if you've been on something of a news blackout, I'm talking about the one that hit the internet last night and today's hard copy New York Times).

After showing the teaser, Mika said, "A look there at Showtime's new documentary that follows the team of New York Times investigative reporters, as they uncovered the information that led to the exclusive report about Trump's taxes. The film debuts this Sunday night, and we're going to have much more from the explosive report straight ahead, but Joe, you have something else on your mind right now."

Joe went into a stupid riff with Willie about how the new Nobel prize winners ripped off their laser experiments from them (i.e. Joe & Willie). Barnicle got in on the "joke" (apologies to anyone with a sense of humor for misusing that word). Then they started talking about last night's Cubs/Rockies playoff game, which was clearly planned, because Barnicle talked over footage from the game. Then they speculated about the Yankees and the A's. 

Then Mika teased whatever breaking news, maybe the UN telling the US to lift some sanctions on Iran.

The whole thing was a four-to-five minute long teaser block. I hate this fakakta show. I only tuned in because I got up earlier than I needed to, so I hit record on my DVR, in case I wanted to see any of the segments. There's something wrong with me that I'm still watching it. 

In the next block, the guest was Richard A. Clark, author of the 2017 book, Warnings, which just came out in paperback. I guess he's also on to promote his new podcast called Future State. Yawn. He was the kind of guest Morning Joe used to handle well, but it seemed like a stall to not have to address the NYT Trump Taxes investigation.

The 7:00am block kicked off with more Kavanaugh and discussion of how the FBI investigation could end today. In addition to Mika, Bunker-Joe, Willie, and Mike Barnicle, the panel included Daniel Goldman (former SDNY criminal division assistant US Atty), Eddie Glaude Jr., Nick Confessore, and Yamiche Alcindor. Mika held up today's NYT and said they'd get to today's "Richie Rich story" in a moment. She and Joe yukked it up for a while, but then Joe turned it back to servicing Kavanaugh, but let Willie take the lead, so it sounded like they were giving serious consideration to the fact that the FBI investigation could end today. I feel like Barnicle is at least trying with this story.

Goldman is a substantive person, but he just rehashed what's been said since Friday night. The FBI could be doing a great job investigating this, if only it were allowed. He did make the point that although this is a background investigation, and they don't have subpoena power, when they come across allegations that impugn someone's truthfulness, they would follow up on them to determine if they're legitimate, if this were a "full" (read: legitimate) investigation, but it does not appear to be.

About 7:09, Mika finally introduced the NYT story, which largely asserts that much of Donald Trump's money comes from the fact that he helped his parents hide their money for tax purposes. I guess I'm glad the Times did this story, but nothing's likely to come of it. The statute of limitations has passed. Mika brought up the possibility of civil suits. Yawn. This is all baked into the cake for the Trump base. Corrupt rich guy is corrupt. Willie listed some of the details (getting a 200k salary at age three and being a millionaire at age eight). 

Confessore said Donald Trump was deeply involved in all his father's schemes. He alleged the Trump's systematically and repeatedly undervalued their holdings, blah blah blah. 

Barnicle noted how the orange one always has nicknames for everyone and said we now have a nickname for "The President." It would be "Thanks Dad Trump." Oh, Mike! You were having a pretty good day. Take the rest of the week off; go home; watch some post-season baseball.

Barnicle went on to say how Fred always bailed out Donald. In 1990, Donald tried to have his father's will rewritten in a way that the elder Trump worried his "empires" would be used to bail out out the younger Trump's failing business. "So in addition to being a tax cheat, a fraud, and a crook, we found out from The New York Times, and all this material they've provided, that Donald Trump was also a scheming son." 

Joe acted like he was adding input but just rehashed what Barnicle just said. He then teed up Glaude with another "Richie Rich" mention. Glaude has too much insight to waste his time like this, on this shell of a show. Glaude made three points:

1. DT was born with not a gold spoon, but a platinum one, and blew his inheritance in all sorts of ways.

2. Glaude's reminded of Herman Melville's 1857 novel, The Confidence-Man (which I have not read). Joe the Simple Country Lawyer tried smile beneficently, like he got the reference. Glaude's point is that DT is a snake-oil salesman, and notes that the Times admits it was complicit in his deception, because they helped him sell his phony image.

3. There's an inherited pattern of tax fraud or evasion, which makes it even more necessary that we see DT's tax forms, because it's likely that he's done all the tricks he learned at his father's knee. 

Mika added something that added nothing, then read DT's attorney's statement, which includes a threat to sue. Joe threw in a smoking cigarettes at the Holiday Inn with Willie distraction, then referenced Melville. 

Barnicle brought up that DT's sister, Maryanne Trump Barry, is a sitting federal judge and asked Goldman what the implications could be for her, if her name is on any forms constituting fraud.

Goldman brought up judicial impeachment. If there was any evidence implicating Maryanne, it would be referred to a committee which would assess it. His take away from the NYT piece is, that, from a legal perspective, you see:

1. Over-inflated invoices: these are created to facilitate kickbacks

2. Bogus loans, a hallmark of fraud, where you say you're giving a loan, but it's never paid back. i.e. it is an unreported gift

3. Fred Trump dumping $3.3 million worth of casino chips at one of DT's casinos, to provide him with enough operating cash (this means the elder Trump bought that much worth in chips, but never intended to and never did use them; NOTE: this part of story has been covered before. (1991 WaPo story; 2016 reprint of a 1991 Press of Atlantic City story

4. Different representation of the value of Trump properties in different filings. They under- or over-value it, depending on what's convenient at the time - another hallmark of fraud. While it can't be charged criminally because it happened so long ago, the IRS can look at it from a civil perspective.

Joe tossed to Yamiche and asked if it will raise an eyebrow in Trump country. I like Yamiche, but she didn't really answer that. Instead, she talked about how his followers buy into his false story of being the personification of the American Dream. She then brought up Ben Carson's comment that "Poverty is a state of mind," and the administration re-writes to the tax code, then rehashed how Trump didn't earn anything, he inherited it, and that turned to Kavanaugh getting into Yale as a legacy. In other words, Trump's followers think they can achieve what he has, but don't realize he didn't actually achieve it. It was handed to him. Meanwhile, he's screwing them six ways til Sunday, but they don't know.

Willie asked Goldman about the legal questions, and noted how old the allegations are, then asked if there was a possibility of criminal prosecution, which Goldman had already twice (at least) said there isn't. He again said no, not for the 1990s stuff, then referenced what Glaude said, and said it is time to look more recently, because DT probably didn't stop this shit after his father died. Goldman also said some of the financial games are legal, but some stuff is suspect. 

Joe invoked the name of Bernie Sanders, then pointed out Trump was supposed to be some populist, who decried how everything was rigged, and this undercuts the message. Mika repeated it was incredible (twice), then teased a new immigration horror story, where investigators found NOOSES in detention center cells. She also teased an upcoming segment with Senator Dick Durbin and Mayor Andrew Gillum, but I can't keep doing this.

I'm quitting, because the more time I spend on this show, the more I hate everything. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 19