Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I would love to work at these type of companies.

I don't think you would....they do that stuff so they can work their young employees to the bone. Why go home, just take a nap!

I found it funny that Donny was very careful in his discussion of sexual harassment, pointing out (correctly) that times have changed (for the better). Made me think that a guy who started in advertising in the go-go 80s in NYC may have some things in his past he may not be proud of in today's environment.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I don't think you would....they do that stuff so they can work their young employees to the bone. Why go home, just take a nap!

I found it funny that Donny was very careful in his discussion of sexual harassment, pointing out (correctly) that times have changed (for the better). Made me think that a guy who started in advertising in the go-go 80s in NYC may have some things in his past he may not be proud of in today's environment.

I am not allowed to nap at our office. We also don't get alcohol or company provided food at the office.

I would not be shocked if Donnie did things that would be considered sexual harassment today. He came close to acknowledging unwanted kissing yesterday.

I really do think Mika has an opportunity to have a more nuanced discussion of sexual relationships and sexual harassment in the workplace, since both of her long-term relationships in the last 30 years began at work.  The reality is that many of us meet our spouses and partners at work, because we spend so much time there/share things in common.  It's a tricky thing, dating someone at work.  Mika surely knows that as well as anyone, and that refusing to socialize is surely not the solution -- so it was a very strange comment, and she probably had not fully thought it out.  I also think she doesn't want to talk about her own personal life on the show, which is a little odd given how many other aspects of her personal life she shares -- but the reality is that everyone knows that she's sleeping with someone who could be seen as her "boss," though I suspect that is not at all how she sees it (and it's also not literally true -- Phil Griffin is her boss).  Still, Joe has some power over her (they do have a difference in income, which is public knowledge/well established, for example), and that makes it complicated -- at least more complicated than she made it seem on Friday.  

• Love 5

Mika ranted against Bill and Hillary Clinton this morning. One of her comments was that "his wife even ran for President".  I never liked Bill, but why shouldn't Hillary run for President! She was certainly qualified. 

Mika also said that he should apologize to Monica Lewinsky.  I was young at the time, but remember that his relationship with Monica was creepy IMO but consensual.  Has Monica ever apologized to anyone?  People often comment on her age as if Monica wasn't old enough to know better.  I disagree with that opinion.  Both Bill and Monica were to blame for the situation.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, suomi said:

Joe is MIA during the second hour A block while Mika gets vehement re sexual harassment in the workplace, ie Clinton, Clinton, Clinton.

I do find it curious that he disappears every time they know this is coming up in the next block . . . 

• Love 4

Mika's on her self-righteous, high horse this morning. I love how she tells Hillary Clinton to shut up until HER HUSBAND apologizes for his previous actions. Know your value, ladies, which is totally contingent upon your husband's words and actions.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Mika's on her self-righteous, high horse this morning. I love how she tells Hillary Clinton to shut up until HER HUSBAND apologizes for his previous actions. Know your value, ladies, which is totally contingent upon your husband's words and actions.

Well said! That is how i took her comments. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

She gives the distinct impression that she's out of her depth on matters like this. 

She should stick to that annoying "call and response" bit she does with Scarborough where he says something, she interjects, he pretends to talk over her, she persists, until the whole thing is like a poorly rehearsed Fred-and-Ethel number from one of the less memorable episodes of I Love Lucy.  

• Love 9

Among the many things Mika needs to shut her hole about is trying to equate her "friend" Mark Halperin's behavior with Al Franken. Franken behaved inappropriately with one woman, Halperin is a sexual predator who rubbed his penis against numerous unwilling women for years. Also, why is she all over Clinton's consensual relationships, but has yet to make any comments on Pappy Bush's decades long pattern of grabbing unwilling women's backsides?

It's the hypocrisy that does her in every time.

• Love 13

NOAH ROTHMAN:

1.  looks like a 1930's news reporter today.  All that is missing is the fedora with a PRESS card stick in the band

2.  how can someone look like they are smelling something bad 24 hours a day?

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 6

Had to switch to CNN this morning during the soccer segment.  Mika seems to have become "educated" in soccer...she was chiming in on whatever match they were talking about.  She was almost manic.  I think Joe is so different from any male Meek-a has ever had in her life - sports fan, loud and blowhardy, macho, etc.  So, being the know-your-value woman that she is, she takes on her significant other's likes and past times. And political leanings.  At least Chris Cuomo is easy on the eyes and does't make me crazy.  However, for some reason, I enjoy the crazy from Morning Blow most days.  Especially enjoying no more Mark Halperin.  Hopefully forever.

• Love 6
On 11/18/2017 at 3:17 PM, Mumbles said:

I won't post it here, but google Stephen Colbert Silicon Valley. He did a bit about stuff they've come up with to further push their cubicle farm no privacy, work 24-7 ideas. 

It's classic Colbert. 

I loved when Mika said tomorrow or Wednesday they're going to break down the Russia connection and we'll all be shocked.

Hey Mika! Does Rachel Maddow  & Richard Engel know you're stealing  their and their staff's hard work? Because I'm pretty sure Nancy Drew and Sherlock Holmes here haven't done jack shit when it comes to investigative journalism. 

I pray there are flow charts. 

What in God's name was the deal with the way too long soccer recap. "OH MY GOD I FACE TIMED YOU AND IT WAS SOOOOO LOUD!!"

Not louder than you shrieking about it.  They talked about this longer than they did the Astros winning the World Series for fuck's sake. 

Edited by teddysmom
Because Colbert Report isn't a thing any more
  • Love 5

Late Monday Recap. Joe showed up in the studio a few seconds late. He is wearing his navy blue sweater. Mika is wearing a blacktop with a zipper. Mika was happy to see Joe !

Joe is mad at Roy Moore. He demanded that the GOP refuse to seat him if he wins the election.

Joe thinks that Moore will get voters to focus on Trump's sexual harassment claims.

Joe thinks that Moore's voters are staying quiet 7 not talking to pollsters.

Heidi Prysbala said a police officer in Alabama said that Moore liked young girls.

Mika got excited about reading an editorial in the Birmingham News that condems Moore & supports Jone.

Barnicle told Mika not many people read newspaper editorials anymore or care about them.

Barnicle made a goos point. Virtually no newspapers in the USA endorsed Trump in 2016.

Joe said he was a longtime reader of the Birmingham newspaper.

Noah Rothman Bad Odor Detector Face said that Moore showed contempt for the Constitution & kept getting kicked off the court.

Ratner was shocked that Moore kept winning elections.

Joe tried to impress the panel by naming several cities in Birmingham that have women voters who will vote in the rain for Jones.

Joe is obsessed with women who vote in the rain. Is Moore going to win if it is Sunny?

Joe talked about Tribalism vs Religion. The GOP is a tribe. They are more willing to vote against Hillary than support Trump.

Joe said at a fundaiser in Florida on the weekend, McCain & Bush Sr were booed.

Joe was mad at the GOP tax plan because it will raise the deficit.

Joe said tax cuts were more important in the 1980's.

Ratner had charts that show the top 5% get 50% of the tax cut money.

Joe said the wealthy pays most of the taxes so they the benefit of tax cuts.

Heidi said Demcrats want to stop the tax plan to keep the deficit low.

Joe said Democrats only care about deficits when the GOP is in power & vice versa.

Joe is mad at the GOP for eliminating the mandate. Millions will lose insurance because they won't buy the  insurance plans.

Joe said Trump is trolling the basketball player for releasing them from a Chinese Jail.

Mika started harping on who represents women in the Trump administration. Mika wants women to have a voice.

Everyone said the GOP is toast if Moore is elected.

Joe said he told everyone that Trump was a lifelong Democrat who is destroying the GOP from the inside.

Joe thinks that Trump is a secret agent for the Democrats. LOL!

Michael Steele is mad at the GOP for not following the 2012 Romney loss autopsy.

Steele wants the GOP to be nicer to women & minorities.

• Love 4

You people are the funniest.  Love reading these recaps.

FWIW, as a huge British Premier League soccer fan, it's my duty to defend Joe's interest in the league.  His guest, Roger, has one of my favorite podcasts and TV Shows, "Men in Blazers."  The match this weekend that Joe and Mika went to was the North London Derby and is a major event.  Tottenham vs Arsenal.  Two world class teams with world class personalities and decades of history.

1 minute ago, Landsnark said:

FWIW, as a huge British Premier League soccer fan, it's my duty to defend Joe's interest in the league.  His guest, Roger, has one of my favorite podcasts and TV Shows, "Men in Blazers."  The match this weekend that Joe and Mika went to was the North London Derby and is a major event.  Tottenham vs Arsenal.  Two world class teams with world class personalities and decades of history.

I have no problem with soccer coverage, but Mika acts like such a jackass. 

Does she get this worked up over US Women's Soccer?  Know Your Value, girlfriend. 

• Love 4

Mika's self-righteous ranting was way over the top this morning. Besides the pure enjoyment of hearing the output of her own lips flagellating about I can't understand how she thinks anything productive will result of it. I swiped left a lot during today's episode.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Abiding Dude said:

Mika's self-righteous ranting was way over the top this morning. Besides the pure enjoyment of hearing the output of her own lips flagellating about I can't understand how she thinks anything productive will result of it. I swiped left a lot during today's episode.

Mika was hilarious during her rant about Clinton. She claimed that Gillenbrand was not being political when attacking Clinton. Of course she was & Noah Rothman pointed out that Gillebrand campaigned with Hillary last year.

If Hillary had won, Gillenbrand would have stayed quiet about Bill & not made those statements.

At 7 28 am, Mika showed off her new horse riding green gloves which is what she wears when she gets on her high horse discussing  Women's issues.

Joe, the defender of women's rights disapeared during this segment.

Mika gets too hyper about Boy Diplomat , Jared Kushner.

• Love 4

Heidi Prysbala said a police officer in Alabama said that Moore liked young girls.

Okay I loathe Trump and all his cohorts, Roy Moore included.  But in this segment (and on all news shows, to be fair) they keep calling Moore a "pedophile" and a "child molester."  They specifically said those 2 phrases this AM on MJ.  I don't understand how preferring teen girls, uber creepy and wrong as this is, makes you a "pedophile" and or "child molester"?  

Joe thinks that Moore's voters are staying quiet 7 not talking to pollsters

Yep, every time I see a poll I add 3-5 points for Moore.

59 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika started harping on who represents women in the Trump administration. Mika wants women to have a voice

I never understand this line of argument. Any woman who would serve in a Trump administration would probably have terrible views. Look at the few who do have big roles. Ugh.

If Hillary had won, Gillenbrand would have stayed quiet about Bill & not made those statements.

It's an interesting thought experiment. What if Clinton had won, how would we have all handled the Weinstein stuff? Would the Weinstein stuff ever been pursued or reported has Trump not won? Is Trump's victory an impetus for a lot of soul-searching as a society? 

I think Mika was being a bit hyperbolic when she said the Clinton harassment enabled the Trump stuff. One didn't cause the other. But the same awful culture enabled both. And if we had had the true "Weinstein moment" we're experiencing now, to back in 1991 when Thomas was confirmed and then in 1993 when Paula Jones made her complaint, maybe we'd be in a  better place now.

It also sucks that the GOP is such a terrible party for women's issues, that womens' groups are loath to criticize people like Bill Clinton because the alternative is far worse.

I don't understand how preferring teen girls, uber creepy and wrong as this is, makes you a "pedophile" and or "child molester"?  

I do think pedophilia does refer to children under a certain age. But when Moore put the first accuser's hand on his genital region, I would think that qualifies as some sort of molestation. 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Okay I loathe Trump and all his cohorts, Roy Moore included.  But in this segment (and on all news shows, to be fair) they keep calling Moore a "pedophile" and a "child molester."  They specifically said those 2 phrases this AM on MJ.  I don't understand how preferring teen girls, uber creepy and wrong as this is, makes you a "pedophile" and or "child molester"?  

I think that attempting to touch girls under 18 in a sexual way without consent is "child molesting"

• Love 4

I enjoyed the interview with Mike Messina, the Obama campaign director. He warned the Clinton campaign in the summer of 2016 after Brexit that economic issues in the midwest would hurt Hillary.

Joe reminded viewers that he was right about Brexit. His Labour friends in Manchester told him that they were voting for Brexit.

Joe said Clinton was campaigning in closed factories in NH in December 1991 & that economic issues were important.

How do you rebuild the factories?

Trump did the same thing in 2015.

Messina told Democrats to stop focusing on Trump tweets. They wo't help you win in 2018. Focus on economic issues.

I hope Mika & Joe listen to Messina & stop wasting time on Trump's tweets.

Mika is trying to put her smartphone down during the weekends. Her kids need their computers for homework.

Joe bragged that he is keeping his kids offline. They are using the computer to do homework.

• Love 2

I really can't take another three weeks of future Senator Moore talk.  When the governor of Alabama declares he's despicable but I'm voting for him and the future of the Supreme Court, just call off the fucking election you idiot.

• Love 7

I know. I'm over it. Everybody knew Moore was an asshole before any of this sexual harassment/assault stuff came out, it should have disqualified him anyway.  

Media's like a dog with a bone they will just not let up on it.  Okay we get it, but Alabama is not the only thing going on in the world.

Maybe the new Mueller stuff about Trump actually obstructing justice will shut them up for a while. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I know. I'm over it. Everybody knew Moore was an asshole before any of this sexual harassment/assault stuff came out, it should have disqualified him anyway.  

Media's like a dog with a bone they will just not let up on it.  Okay we get it, but Alabama is not the only thing going on in the world.

Maybe the new Mueller stuff about Trump actually obstructing justice will shut them up for a while. 

I agree. It's remarkable how a show like Morning Joe which used to be good at dealing with foreign news has completely forgotten about Syria, Lebanon & Zimbabwe.

It's hilarious that they have time to cover Joe going to the UK to cover a soccer match.

• Love 3

Charlie Rose , a personal friend of Mika & Joe & an attendee at their recent star studded engagement party has acknowledged sexually harassing his employees. Will Mika denounce him tomorrow?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/eight-women-say-charlie-rose-sexually-harassed-them--with-nudity-groping-and-lewd-calls/2017/11/20/9b168de8-caec-11e7-8321-481fd63f174d_story.html?utm_term=.cd03b95874d1&wpisrc=al_news__alert-national&wpmk=1

• Love 4
7 hours ago, oakville said:

At 7 28 am, Mika showed off her new horse riding green gloves which is what she wears when she gets on her high horse discussing  Women's issues.

I meant to mention that!   I thought, "Wait, are her hands green?"  wtf?

• Love 2
Just now, millennium said:

I meant to mention that!   I thought, "Wait, are her hands green?"  wtf?

I could see the green gloves attached to her black top. I love that concept of having gloves attached to a sweater if it is cold.

5 hours ago, oakville said:

Another frequent guest on Morning Joe has been suspended for sexual misconduct. Will Mika mention it tomorrow?

https://www.mediaite.com/online/ny-timess-glenn-thrush-suspended-for-numerous-sexual-misconduct-allegations/#disqus_thread

So basically his career's in the toilet for stealing a kiss.

I remember a time when things like this were solved with a slap in the face.

3 minutes ago, oakville said:

I could see the green gloves attached to her black top. I love that concept of having gloves attached to a sweater if it is cold.

But where are they broadcasting from?  A walk-in refrigerator?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, millennium said:

I think that Thrush & Rose should be held accountable for their actions. Mika has decided that she is now a crusader for women fighting back against sexual harassment. It turns out that her "friends". Halperin & Charlie Rose are behaving badly with  women. I am stunned by Charlie Rose's behavior.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, oakville said:

I think that Thrush & Rose should be held accountable for their actions. Mika has decided that she is now a crusader for women fighting back against sexual harassment. It turns out that her "friends". Halperin & Charlie Rose are behaving badly with  women. I am stunned by Charlie Rose's behavior.

I think there are degrees of bad behavior, but unfortunately lesser offenders are suffering the same fates as the Harvey Weinsteins and Kevin Spaceys.

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, millennium said:

I think there are degrees of bad behavior, but unfortunately lesser offenders are suffering the same fates as the Harvey Weinsteins and Kevin Spaceys.

I agree with this. Clearly men need to behave a lot better going forward, but for some of the lesser offenders, I think the best approach is to acknowledge it, wipe the slate clean and ensure that it doesn't happen in the future (I haven't read the Charlie Rose details yet, just saw the headline).

If everyone is suspended/fired for relatively lesser transgressions from years ago, there will be no one left.

• Love 8
55 minutes ago, oakville said:

Charlie Rose is definitely a big surprise. I'm sure there will be a lot more men with allegations against them. I'm sure there are a lot of nervous men out there right now.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, cased said:

Charlie Rose is definitely a big surprise. I'm sure there will be a lot more men with allegations against them. I'm sure there are a lot of nervous men out there right now.

Yes, this is morphing into something else entirely and that is unfortunate.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, cased said:

I agree with this. Clearly men need to behave a lot better going forward, but for some of the lesser offenders, I think the best approach is to acknowledge it, wipe the slate clean and ensure that it doesn't happen in the future (I haven't read the Charlie Rose details yet, just saw the headline).

If everyone is suspended/fired for relatively lesser transgressions from years ago, there will be no one left.

I read the allegations against Charlie Rose. It is unbelievable. He has acknowledged that it was inappropriate to parade naked & grope his staff members.  I think he should retire from CBS.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, cased said:

This whole witch-hunt (although where sexual misconduct is concerned, there are some witches) is patently unfair because the only men being hauled before the court of public opinion are those with prominent positions to lose.   If you take a step back and look at this objectively, something is very wrong.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, millennium said:

It was more than "stealing a kiss." And these women worked for him. Slap him in the face, lose your job. If my boss stuck his hand down my pants and serially harassed my coworkers in a similar fashion, I would damn well want to see him fired. 

Yeah, so we will see how outraged Mika is today. I kinda think Rose's behavior is worse than a president engaging in a fully consensual affair, even if it was with an underling. But she'll find some way to blame this one on Clinton as well.

On a side note, I'm really tired of all the MSNBC promos that run during the show with the various anchors like Rachel and Joy and Lawrence fawning over each other, or Lester Holt bragging about what a compassionate human being he is. It's so smug and self satisfied.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Eliot said:

It was more than "stealing a kiss." And these women worked for him. Slap him in the face, lose your job. If my boss stuck his hand down my pants and serially harassed my coworkers in a similar fashion, I would damn well want to see him fired. 

I haven't seen any reports of Glenn Thrush putting his hand down anyone's pants.   That's whom I was referring to.  

13 minutes ago, millennium said:

I haven't seen any reports of Glenn Thrush putting his hand down anyone's pants.   That's whom I was referring to.  

Oh, sorry! I thought you were talking about Charlie Rose.

Now Mika is ranting again about going out for drinks and hooking up with co-workers. She says it needs to stop. Does she truly have NO self awareness?

• Love 6

Mika's hammering Bill Clinton, everybody do a shot.

She shouldn't be leading a discussion about this topic.  She's got a huge axe to grind.   You could see the sneering disdain on her face as she read the very sane-sounding editorials appearing today.  Scarborough looks uncomfortable as hell, LOL.

• Love 1