Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

I love the pearls-clutching over late-night hosts discussing politics.  Does anyone remember the Clinton/Monica/Ken Starr period?  Jay Leno, et al piled it on every. single. night.  Joe and company need to maybe look things up on you-tube.  It was exhausting then and it is exhausting now.  Except then....the country didn't have a raving lunatic in charge and we didn't have the Russian problem.    Joe and company always have to have a qualifying reason for the Repubs to act like idiots.

Some of the old Carson jokes from the Watergate era were brutal. He was also quite good on Reagan. But imo Carson was a master - sly, subtle, cool. As Joe put it today, Carson played for the Central Time Zone - nothing too strident or loud. My issue with Colbert (and to a lesser extent, Kimmel) is that he is very loud and obvious. The genius of the Colbert Report was it was a very sly satire of a genre. Colbert as Colbert is as subtle as a sledgehammer. 

• Love 2

Thursday Recap. Joe is in the bunker. Mika is in the studio. I wonder why they don't bother being in the same place.

Joe is mad at Trump.

Mika called Trump mentally ill & was happy that officials in North Korea  agree with her.

There could be a nuclear war & most Americans are opposed to a nuclear war.

The panel does not want to politicize the deaths of troops. halperin is tired of having all the gold star families get called to see if Obama or Trump was sympathetic.

Joe doesn't believe Trump.

Carol Lee started asking questions about what happened in Niger. Why were the troops there?

Mika is busy plugging her show on October 30.

Sexy Secret agent man said they left Johnson & couldn't get a medi vac to pick him up quickly.

Joe said its time to find out what happened in Niger.

It's baseball talk now. Barnicle likes the Yankees. Barnicle got Willie tickets to yankee stadium.

Mika said Trump lacks empathy. Mika put an end to baseball talk.

Trump keeps changing his mind on healthcare. Subsidies to insurance companies.

Lamar! showed up . I remember him when he ran for President in 1996 or 1988. He always wore flannel shirts & walked around New Hampshire.

Oh look, more Democratic Senators coming on the show to complain about Trump. I am tired of the Trump show. He says something inflammatory everyday & the panel freaks out the day after.

No discussion about Katty Kay being criticized for being very harsh with the Cowboy Hat Congresswoman. It is rude to ask her if she was "complicit" in politicizing the issue. Why have her on the show? She was just answering the questions.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, teddysmom said:

Rep Wilson dresses in the style of AA women of her generation.   If you aren't familiar with that style, it can be a little odd, but believe me, I've been to restaurants on early Sunday afternoons where large groups come in after church, they are dressed up in their Sunday best and many of the women have hats like that, and even bigger and more ornate.   I think Rep Wilson just likes wearing hats as mentioned above, she wears one in her official photos. 

I am still thinking about this.  I too have encountered African American women wearing their Sunday hats.  Usually they are bright floral affairs or startling outbursts of geometry perched artfully atop the head.   They aren't cowboy hats.   That's the problem for me, not that she's wearing a hat, but that it's a cowboy hat.   It's a cowboy hat and she's not a cowboy.   She's not even from cowboy country.   Moreover, in my experience, there's a mindset that goes with cowboy hats and it's not necessarily sympathetic to black congresswomen and their constituents.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

OMG, this old ass Senator.  "Trump is just like FDR.  FDR didn't know anything either."
OK, idiot.  Go fuck yourself while you're at it.
"He speaks in hyperbole.  It just seems like a lie."

I switched him off after he defended Trump's cluelessness by insisting that Obama didn't read the Affordable Care Act.  I used to feel an obligation to listen to these troglodytes so I would be informed when criticizing them.   No more.  The second they start making balloon animals out of the truth, I'm out.   Ignorance is bliss.

• Love 6

Both Joe and "Mike-a" let Cassidy get away with blatant what-about-ism, a technique patented by the Trumpeters, and they didn't call him on it.  Mika did roll her eyes and then shoo him quickly off the show, but that's not enough. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, navelgazer said:

Both Joe and "Mike-a" let Cassidy get away with blatant what-about-ism, a technique patented by the Trumpeters, and they didn't call him on it.  Mika did roll her eyes and then shoo him quickly off the show, but that's not enough. 

I was happy she shooed him off. What's so ironic about that whole exchange is that Cassidy himself didn't understand his own legislation. He was completely clueless about the provisions and impact of what he was trying to pass. He's a heartless idiot, but not a good enough liar to convince anyone he knew what he was proposing.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, stormy said:

Thank you Mika for ending the Yankees talk. Joe if you and your panel buddies want to talk baseball, meet at a bar later.

I find It hilarious when Joe goes off on tangents taking about British soccer or baseball or music or movies that Mika has not seen. She gets so mad at him.

I do wonder if they will do a Morning Joe show in North Korea? 

Keir Simmons said Joe is very popular in North Korea

• Love 2

I am still thinking about this.  I too have encountered African American women wearing their Sunday hats.  Usually they are bright floral affairs or startling outbursts of geometry perched artfully atop the head.   They aren't cowboy hats.   That's the problem for me, not that she's wearing a hat, but that it's a cowboy hat.   It's a cowboy hat and she's not a cowboy.   She's not even from cowboy country.   Moreover, in my experience, there's a mindset that goes with cowboy hats and it's not necessarily sympathetic to black congresswomen and their constituents.  

Well her constituents love her. 

• Love 1

Joe is mad at Trump.

Is this programmed into your phone to pre-populate every time you open the voice-to-words app?

The second they start making balloon animals out of the truth, I'm out.  

Hee Millenium!

I'M SOOO SICK OF the fallen soldier calls schtick.  At some point the US is just going to have to decide that a regular US President's behavior/attittude/actions are at this level, then titrate it down 85% less for Trump's norm, and just go with it.  We can't go on like this, everyday pearl clutching over Trump.   If he shoots a 90 year old blind woman in a wheelchair on MSNBC, then we'll talk.  Otherwise, we're giving him the attention that he craves, dominating the world's news cycle--why give him anything he wants?  We're not getting rid of him unless Mueller comes up with a charge so sit back in your chair and put up your feet.  GEEZ!

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, oakville said:

halperin is tired of having all the gold star families get called to see if Obama or Trump was sympathetic.

Well then be mad at Trump because he's the one that brought it up and then accused former Presidents of not doing what he did. He brought this on himself.

It's never been an issue with other Presidents. The only thing that was ever a problem was when Bush would not allow press coverage at Dover because they didn't want the American people to see all the caskets and start protesting the war. (Like we weren't going to see the daily counts of dead and wounded on the news). 

The Trump tweet they read about Hillary Clinton and uranium came straight from Hannity last night. I happened to turn it on and some lawyer said she was representing an FBI informant about Hillary selling all the US uranium stockpiles to Russia. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Is this programmed into your phone to pre-populate every time you open the voice-to-words app?

Hee Millenium!

I'M SOOO SICK OF the fallen soldier calls schtick.  At some point the US is just going to have to decide that a regular US President's behavior/attittude/actions are at this level, then titrate it down 85% less for Trump's norm, and just go with it.  We can't go on like this, everyday pearl clutching over Trump.   If he shoots a 90 year old blind woman in a wheelchair on MSNBC, then we'll talk.  Otherwise, we're giving him the attention that he craves, dominating the world's news cycle--why give him anything he wants?  We're not getting rid of him unless Mueller comes up with a charge so sit back in your chair and put up your feet.  GEEZ!

Ha! I just laugh at the show now because it is so repetitive.

its easier to recap because Joe is always mad at Trump for the latest outrageous statement he makes.

Mika is always looking for a chance to call Trump mentally ill.

Barnicle always gets to say that he has never seen this type of behavior before.

Tjere are the same 5 or 6 Senators or Congressmen or women that show up on the show.

Mika & Joe are rarely together on the set.

Mikas busy selling tickets to her show.

Its boring.

9 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Well then be mad at Trump because he's the one that brought it up and then accused former Presidents of not doing what he did. He brought this on himself.

It's never been an issue with other Presidents. The only thing that was ever a problem was when Bush would not allow press coverage at Dover because they didn't want the American people to see all the caskets and start protesting the war. (Like we weren't going to see the daily counts of dead and wounded on the news). 

The Trump tweet they read about Hillary Clinton and uranium came straight from Hannity last night. I happened to turn it on and some lawyer said she was representing an FBI informant about Hillary selling all the US uranium stockpiles to Russia. 

I read an article that speculated that Mueller may have to recuse himself over the Clinton coverup of selling uranium to Russians. That is so weird

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, oakville said:

I read an article that speculated that Mueller may have to recuse himself over the Clinton coverup of selling uranium to Russians. That is so weird

It's not true.  (the uranium stuff) 

• Love 4

Mikas busy selling tickets to her show.  Its boring.

Yea this AM Mika is going on and on about how Trumps mentally ill (probably true) and he's about to decimate the Universe (probably true), then her voice shifts, lightens and she's all "...and don't forget to get your tickets to Know Your Worth, with Sara Jessica Parker, etc etc." Yeah, the world is gonna incinerate next week, but dammit if we women aren't all going to get the most we can out of the resulting holocaust!!

• Love 5

The uranium deal with the Russians involving the Clinton Foundation did happen and was reported extensively by the New York Times. It was no evidence that Mrs. Clinton was involved. The Mueller stuff seems like a stretch, no legitimate news organization has picked that up.

• Love 1

I said there was no proof that Hillary Clinton was involved with the deal. Thats what Snopes said. Then, google "New York Times Clinton Foundation uranium" and there are several long, thoughtful articles that analyse the actual deal. The deal happened - the New York Times is not fake news. Whether Mrs. Clinton abused her office or engaged in improper activity is unsubstantiated.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, teddysmom said:

I am confused. It's a Canadian company with access to American uranium.

1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

Yea this AM Mika is going on and on about how Trumps mentally ill (probably true) and he's about to decimate the Universe (probably true), then her voice shifts, lightens and she's all "...and don't forget to get your tickets to Know Your Worth, with Sara Jessica Parker, etc etc." Yeah, the world is gonna incinerate next week, but dammit if we women aren't all going to get the most we can out of the resulting holocaust!!

Mika & Joe should host a show on the shopping network. 

Joe could sell his music.

Mika could sell her scarves & shoes.

she could also sell books etc

• Love 1

Our friends think my wife and I should be Joe and Mika for Halloween.  How do I puff up my face?  I can squint and comb up a pompadour and bloviate and wear a MJ fleece and deck shoes w/out socks.
My wife would just have to wear a tight turtleneck, Unitarian scarf, and a bond villainess wig and 5" Louboutins.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Our friends think my wife and I should be Joe and Mika for Halloween.  How do I puff up my face?  I can squint and comb up a pompadour and bloviate and wear a MJ fleece and deck shoes w/out socks.
My wife would just have to wear a tight turtleneck, Unitarian scarf, and a bond villainess wig and 5" Louboutins.

When have we seen Mika's shoes?   I still take it on faith that she has legs. 

8 hours ago, teddysmom said:

https://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-uranium-russia-deal/

Snopes says it's false and unsubstantiated.  

7 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I said there was no proof that Hillary Clinton was involved with the deal. Thats what Snopes said. Then, google "New York Times Clinton Foundation uranium" and there are several long, thoughtful articles that analyse the actual deal. The deal happened - the New York Times is not fake news. Whether Mrs. Clinton abused her office or engaged in improper activity is unsubstantiated.

7 hours ago, oakville said:

I am confused. It's a Canadian company with access to American uranium.

Mika & Joe should host a show on the shopping network. 

Joe could sell his music.

Mika could sell her scarves & shoes.

she could also sell books etc

I find this Politifact piece clearer than the Snopes one: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/jun/30/donald-trump/donald-trump-inaccurately-suggests-clinton-got-pai/

What frustrates me is that Politifact (and I'm sure other fact checking sources) have been debunking this "Hillary sold uranium to Russia" for months if not years and none of our braintrust journalists of any bent -- particularly those on Morning Joe -- can be bothered to frigging Google it.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Oh, she loves her some Louboutins. Donny Deutsch gifted her with some, on the show. (How many pair, oakville, was it more than one?)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, millennium said:

There used to be regular segments on Mika's shoes. Donny Deutsh would bring Louboutins to Mika. She would try them on & squeal.

Mika & Joe used to have a special cocktail table away from the desk when they would read the morning papers. Back then, Mika would frequently wear short dresses, so you could see her shoes & legs.

They got rid of the desk in 2014 or 2015.

9 hours ago, suomi said:

Oh, she loves her some Louboutins. Donny Deutsch gifted her with some, on the show. (How many pair, oakville, was it more than one?)

It happened regularly. I used to keep track of it on Television Without Pity forum.

• Love 2

Friday Recap. Mika is in the studio wearing a buttoned up fleece top from the fall Librarian collection.

Joe is in the bunker.

Joe wanted to start the show by focusing on W Bush & Obama's speeches arguing for civility & against white supremacy.

However, they showed a 10 minute clip of John Kelly explaining the process of dealing with grieving families.

He said the Cowboy Congresswoman should not have spoken out about the phone call.

Joe said Kelly's comments hurt Trump over the Gold Star families.

Joe was happy that he could use some of Kelly's comments to attack Trump.

Joe should have reminded viewers that he did consider applying for military service but it interfered with with his law school career.

Joe provided legal services to people in Pensacola instead for which they were grateful.

Joe said people have to recognize the 1 % of country that provide military service to the country.

Joe said the phone calls are not as important as a letter.

Noah with the greasy hair defended Trump & warned the Coastal Critics not to fight Trump on Values . Trump wins those battles.

He did say that the press forced Trump to write the $25K check to the veteran family.

Joe

• Love 4

I cannot watch John Kelly standing there with a cattle prod to his back trying to explain away an idiotic man-child's petty grievances.

Please, sir, for the love of God, retire.

Snotty Noah makes me cringe. I hope everything he says is bullshit.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 9

Am I allowed to say that Hans Nichols looks like an alien??  He needs different glasses.

I cannot watch John Kelly standing there with a cattle prod to his back.

Unfortunately, I think he did this for Love of Country.  I can only hope that the Gold Star family comment was snark. I can not for the life of me decide if Cowboy Congresswoman (tm oakville, HEE!) was right or wrong to make such a drama over this.  Trump says every single thing in the Universe incorrectly.  And the sky is blue.  Move on.

I could have predicted the show's fawning, glassy-eyed treatment of Kelly's appearance yesterday. He can do no wrong in their eyes. But that appearance was designed only to save his dangerous thug of a boss. And frankly I found it a bit exploitative. It's HIS boy who made this all a big deal and I can do without his tone of contempt at the press for asking about it.

Beschloss was depressing but sadly I think he's right. Bush can give all the speeches he wants but the horses are out of the barn. There's been a change in this country. It's not unchangeable but it's going to need work and time to do it and some nice speeches by McCain or Obama or Bush ain't gonna cut it.

• Love 8

It WAS depressing but I thought it was Nick Confessore (sp) from the NY Times who made the comment about Bush shouting in the wind.  He said the hatemongers are out in full force and they're not going away any time soon.  Sigh.  However I was in the bathroom doing my make-up and listening, not watching, so I may be wrong.   

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Am I allowed to say that Hans Nichols looks like an alien??  He needs different glasses.

Unfortunately, I think he did this for Love of Country.  I can only hope that the Gold Star family comment was snark. I can not for the life of me decide if Cowboy Congresswoman (tm oakville, HEE!) was right or wrong to make such a drama over this.  Trump says every single thing in the Universe incorrectly.  And the sky is blue.  Move on.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Hans looks weird. He took over for Jim Macleski. 

On his first segment ofMorning Joe last year, he was inBerlin & started showing naked pictures of a lady in a German newspaper. Mika was stunned & looked away. Joe was on set as well &called it inappropriate. It's something they do in Europe with putting girls in bikinis or topless in some newspapers.

I also think it's funny that Mika lets Joe summarize the issues of the day at the beginning of the show. Joe gets a little rant out& then She let's the other guests talk. 

If Joe is in the studio, he gets to do a pre scripted TelePrompTer rant. 

Mika treats Joe like a little kid that has to get his treats or else he gets nasty.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, oakville said:

Unfortunately, I think he did this for Love of Country.  I can only hope that the Gold Star family comment was snark. I can not for the life of me decide if Cowboy Congresswoman

Couple things the panel might want to realize.

Kelly was also listening in to that sacred phone call. And the military attache riding in the limo with Mrs Johnson, Rep Wilson and the parents put the phone on speaker so Mrs. Johnson could talk to Trump.  Kinda hard not to hear a phone call in a car you're riding in.   I wonder what planet and era Kelly lived in that women were not harassed or assaulted by men?  Sacred? Yeah I'm sure to him that means "not qualified to serve in the military, let alone make decisions re their own life". Let's not forget, Kelly is a Trump supporter. And he was okay with the travel ban.  Enough with the ass kissing, Joe.   

Rep Wilson wears the hats in memory of her grandmother. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I could have predicted the show's fawning, glassy-eyed treatment of Kelly's appearance yesterday. He can do no wrong in their eyes. But that appearance was designed only to save his dangerous thug of a boss. And frankly I found it a bit exploitative. It's HIS boy who made this all a big deal and I can do without his tone of contempt at the press for asking about it.

Kelly jumped the shark yesterday.   He may have gone into this with good intentions but yesterday he publicly chose the dark side.   What was it Nietzsche said about monsters?   

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

• Love 11

Glad to come here and find that I'm not the only one that was turned off by Gen Kelly's remarks.  For the record I wouldn't find someone saying to me "he died  where he wanted to be doing what he wanted to do" comforting..   I liked that someone else pointed out how Kelly was riled that the Congresswoman listened in the phone conversation yet there were people in the room with trump when he made that call.  And don't act so pissy that the death of a soldier has been politicized - it was your boss that started this.  To those like Mika and Joe that are so glad Kelly is there to "rein in trump" I think it's doing a disservice to the country.

• Love 11

Glad to come here and find that I'm not the only one that was turned off by Gen Kelly's remarks.  For the record I wouldn't find someone saying to me "he died  where he wanted to be doing what he wanted to do" comforting..   I liked that someone else pointed out how Kelly was riled that the Congresswoman listened in the phone conversation yet there were people in the room with trump when he made that call.  And don't act so pissy that the death of a soldier has been politicized - it was your boss that started this.  To those like Mika and Joe that are so glad Kelly is there to "rein in trump" I think it's doing a disservice to the country.

It's been pointed out elsewhere that Kelly was lying about what Rep Wilson said at that FBI building dedication, she didn't make it about herself, she praised Congress in total for getting it funded.  Like everyone else in this Admin, the longer we know them, the more we realize there really isn't a decent person working in Senior Staff.  Anyone who supports Trump and promotes his agenda is not "presidential" or "a true leader" or whatever BS pundits want to label them.  I thought Joe & Co were kissing Kelly's ass til I saw Chris Matthews last night. BARF. 

• Love 8
On 10/18/2017 at 4:19 AM, Landsnark said:

Ok, that woman's hat is FUCKING CRAZY.  Is it a religious thing?  A medical thing?  If not, she's a clown. 

Why is her hat crazier than David Clarke's get ups? We're supposed to take him seriously are we not? George Bush is from Connecticut but he pretended to be a cowboy and everyone bought it. 

More important than her hat though is that Kelly lied and she's telling the truth about what happened at that FBI building dedication. Here's the video http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-reg-wilson-kelly-tape-of-speech-20171020-story,amp.html

• Love 9

Regarding the Kelly controversy...and the fawning that a lot of the media did over it....including Blow and Meek-a.  You could have predicted it.  Somehow a lot of the pundits have made heroes of these generals that are propping Trump because they "will keep us all from nuclear war"...and on and on.

My take on Kelly is that he carries a lot of guilt over his son's death.  When he has those can't-sleep-in-the-middle-of-the-night moments and his brain is churning like a hamster wheel (we have all had that experience)...he maybe wonders if he somehow pushed or encouraged  his son into the military.  That his medaled (is that a word?)  and 4-star career greatly influenced his son's ambitions to do the same.  That is just some of my take on the guy.  My son did two tours in the Mideast and my dad survived Bataan and four years in a Japanese POW camp.  And I think my Dad would be one of the first ones to speak out on what we are doing to our all-volunteer military; and how we take them for granted and feel free to abuse them by sending them anywhere under any conditions because they "volunteered for it."  Lawrence O'Donnell touched on this a little last night.  I don't think our two GoldDust Twins on MJ would ever discuss this in any depth.  These two are about as deep as a hangnail.  If that.  I have to wonder if any of the MJ regulars have ever served.  Barnicle?  Deutsch?  Aren't they old enough to have been eligible for the draft? 

Have I said that I can't stand Meek-a?  And again, wouldn't everyone like to have their freedom to come and go at our places of work?  I think I'll just Facetime the office this morning; I think I'll sit and tsk at our show's guests and subjects while I wait for the chance to promote my book.  Or my music/book tour.  Or my hair products.  Because we are Morning Joe and we are the place to be seen and spout your opinions.  As long as we can interrupt and talk over you.  Winning.

• Love 5

Kelly also displayed bald-faced hypocrisy by lamenting that we no longer live in a time when women were considered sacred (as if), and in the next breath declaring a woman - a Congresswoman and friend of the grieving military family - an empty barrel and then lying about what she said at the FBI building dedication.  Guess women are sacred in Kelly's mind unless they are to be used as fodder for insults and lies?

• Love 11

I hate Mika's stupid act re: sports & entertainment.  Mike Lupica, weenie though he is, is a notable sports writer, and the whole panel are huge baseball fans save for Willie.  It's the MLB playoffs and the Yankees may play the Dodgers in the World Series depending on tonight's outcome.  It's not quite as weighty as Trump lying constantly and insulting women constantly, but it's a topic worth the last 2 minutes of the show on a Friday.  Mika talked over everything in an unintelligible mutter, rendering everything everyone else said unintelligible.  She pouted and "HMMPHED" when Lupica was talking, forcing him to glance her way constantly until finally he had to make the conversation about how Mika doesn't like baseball. 
This awkward, passive aggressive/look at me, fake coquettishness is soooo unappealing and disruptive.  "Oh, don't mind me, I'm just snapchatting with my daughters."  Ugh

2 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Women should be respected and treated seriously.

I don't see why.  I don't respect Mika and wouldn't treat her seriously.  Serious, respectable people should be respected and treated seriously.

• Love 7