Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Remember when the Kochs funded an interview with Mika & Joe somewhere out west. The Lochs got a very favorable interview with Mika & Joe.

It was the low point of this show. It highlighted Koch's charitable donations and spent no time discussing their decdes-long and mostly successful campaign to co-opt the Republican party. A disgrace.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, stormy said:

There was too much time spent on Harvey Weinstein, for me.

Same here. I have a hard time not believing that this is Mika's doing to push her new book (and certainly her agenda). That she would use Weinstein's abhorrent behavior in such an opportunistic and cynical way would be pretty gross but I don't know how else to explain the inordinate amount of time they are spending on this story.

• Love 10

Unless Weinstein is running for office, their coverage of his crimes is way too much for a show about politics.  And all the outrage seems silly when we live in a country that elected a pussy-grabber for President - seems par for the course.  Everyone looked the other way all along until now, so "everyone" doesn't get to play holier than thou now.

• Love 11

This morning I just hurtled into a wall of my own outrage. I actually yelled 'HOW DARE YOU!" to Joe on my TV. He is all in a lather about Weinstein - "Everybody knew! Everybody kept quiet!" - when we can say the EXACT SAME THING about Joe, Mika, and their entire panel of sycophants wrt their coddling of Trump all last year.

The man is not fit to hold office. It's all very well and good for them to tsk-tsk now, and for Corker and Kasich to tiptoe out of their hidey holes to meekly assert that he maybe kinda possibly doesn't know what he's doing (as long as they're not too vocal because, you know, tax cuts and Obamacare repeal). But not a single thing is true today that was not true a year ago. Or a year before that.

They let this happen. They praised his dreadful appointees (Joe was practically in nirvana when Tillerson was nominated), they kept teasing the "pivot" that never happened, they wanted access and accolades and interviews and they cozied up to him until it got too personal. And now they're drawing some sort of phony equivalency between the dangerous shitshow that is our foreign policy and some bumbling perv in Hollywood?? So Mika can publicize her crappy books? God, I despise these people.

• Love 20

And now after all that, this morning Joe is exclaiming there will be a civil war in the Republican party.

They all had plenty of opportunities to not let him take over then go to war with them.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Thank you! How did I forget this one?

A Star Wars-themed wedding. Oh, my! Mika could be Princess Leia. Joe could be Han Solo. I guess Barnacle would be Yoda. Willie as Chewbacca?

Anand, the guy with the hair, as chewbacca. Willie as C3PO

• Love 5
1 minute ago, madfortv said:

OMG!  The rant by Mika and Joe about Weinstein went on forever.  Mika condemned those who are speaking up now for not speaking up earlier. I was ready to throw something at the TV.

I muted it and watched the video I linked to above, lol.

They're trying desperately to make Mika happen.   Who knows, maybe they'll succeed.   A week ago I would have said the NFL would never cave to Trump's demands.   Shows you how much I know.

• Love 7

Wednesday Recap. Mika is in studio but Joe is still in the Bunker. Mika is wearing a nice blue top. The lighting in he bunker is off & flashing into Joe's glasses. I like Joe's violet tie.

Mika is mad at SHS, Weinstein & all the actors & actresses that didn't speak out about Weinstein as quickly as she did.

Joe is shouting from the bunker that Mika was the first to report in August 2016 that Trump was unfit for office.

The big story today is that Trump wans more nuclear weapons & more military resources everywhere. This is why Tillerson called him a moron. They have been talking about Morongate for the first half hour & now Weinstein gate for the last half an hour.

Joe is mad at Cyrus Vance for accepting donations in exchange for dropping charges against Weinstein & Ivanka & Don Jr.

Joe said that is not justice.

Barnicle said it was a two tier justice system in NY.

Mika,AShley Judd & Rose McGowan are the true heroes in the WEinstein scandal according to Joe.

Mika is losing millions! of dollars by not doing business with Weinstein.

I think Joe is trying to get back in Mika's good graces again. He's is being very complimentary about her.

Joe wants the generals & the GOP Senators to tell Trump to start behaving or they will invoke the 25th amendment.

NBC has several reporters working on the story. Even Savannah Guthrie will be reporting on Nuclear Trump and recipes for fall lunches.

16 minutes ago, madfortv said:

stormy, who is SHS?  The nicknames are sometimes hard for me to figure out. It took me forever to find out that cackles is Nicole Wallace. This time I thought I would ask.

I think it's Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, oakville said:

NBC has several reporters working on the story. Even Savannah Guthrie will be reporting on Nuclear Trump and recipes for fall lunches.

Nuclear Trump and recipes for fall lunches. I'm dying . . .

I was alternating between MJ and CNN this morning. Lots of criticism from both shows about how long it's taken Hillary Clinton and President Obama to issue denunciations of Weinstein. I can only imagine how it's being spun on Fox & Friends. 

The story of Weinstein's abuse is disgusting and sadly familiar. I only hope that the people who never believed the accusers of Ailes and O'Reilly and Trump will now have second thoughts. But I doubt it.

And speaking of that, did Mika or Joe ever mention that Trump never denounced Ailes or O'Reilly?

• Love 6
On 10/2/2017 at 8:37 AM, oakville said:

Okay, I'm suing these jackasses for my ophthalmologist appt.  They've made me so mad that I poked the mascara wand right in my eye.

Self-serving bullshit about the Weinstein crimes. Please.  Just shut up. And berating HRC and the Obamas for not speaking up quickly enough?  Jesus.  I am SO SICK of the never-ending blame and criticism of President Obama.

Harold Ford...did I understand him to say that even though Trump IS a moron and HAS scared his own military advisers with his witless opinions, that when Mr Ford saw him shake Henry Kissinger's hand yesterday, Harold felt hope and took solace??  OMG.  Harold Ford!  Watch Ken Burns' The Vietnam War!  Kissinger  is a disgrace. Not to mention he's half dead, and Trump listens to NOBODY!

Mike Barnicle....it is NOT NECESSARY to preface every question with a two-paragraph bullshit session to show us how erudite and knowledgeable you are.  Jackass.

Noah Rothman..DUDE!  You are mid-30s!  Your smug belief in your own superiority has made you you look like an old fart, dissipated and desiccated.  That hair, that pot belly, that constant look on your face that you're smelling your own farts.  Then when asked his opinion on Trump wanting to increase the nuclear arsenal tenfold, Mr Fart Face has the nerve to compare T to President O, who had ordered a review of our nuclear capability toward the end of his term.  Rothman used a term,  I think it was "morally bankrupt," about BO, because Rothman asserted BO wanted to COMPLETELY DISMANTLE our nuclear arsenal! Really, Rothman??

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/science/nuclear-weapons-obama-united-states.html?_r=0

CNN doing the same blame the Democrats over Weinstein disaster too.  I am blown away and disgusted.

Sorry, everyone.  I'm infuriated with this crap.  

PS Did the Scarfaces even mention that President Jimmy Carter has offered his services as an envoy to NK?  Yeah like Trump would ever consider the offer, but MJ should at least report it.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, sleekandchic said:

Noah Rothman..DUDE!  You are mid-30s!  Your smug belief in your own superiority has made you you look like an old fart, dissipated and desiccated.  That hair, that pot belly, that constant look on your face that you're smelling your own farts.  Then when asked his opinion on Trump wanting to increase the nuclear arsenal tenfold, Mr Fart Face has the nerve to compare T to President O, who had ordered a review of our nuclear capability toward the end of his term.  Rothman used a term,  I think it was "morally bankrupt," about BO, because Rothman asserted BO wanted to COMPLETELY DISMANTLE our nuclear arsenal! Really, Rothman??

This twerp's agent has some hustle. Never heard of the guy until a few months ago when he started getting booked all the time on MSNBC.  The most punchable face on cable news - it's as if Seth McFarlane had a poli sci degree. Another thing he said today that pissed me off is his reference to the US getting into a situation in Korea that is "not face-savable" or some such nonsense when Thomas Friedman was on.  This twerp would be well served to watch the Burns and Novick documentary The Vietnam War to see what happens when foreign policy is driven by ideas of "saving face."

I don't know much about this Drezner guy is but I do appreciate his comment that in general, we should not be thrilled with the idea of guys in military uniforms dictating our foreign policy.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, madfortv said:

OMG!  The rant by Mika and Joe about Weinstein went on forever.  Mika condemned those who are speaking up now for not speaking up earlier. I was ready to throw something at the TV.

I can't stomach Mika's hypocrisy, so I switched over to Looney Toons for 30 minutes then came for back for more nuclear war.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

Harold Ford...did I understand him to say that even though Trump IS a moron and HAS scared his own military advisers with his witless opinions, that when Mr Ford saw him shake Henry Kissinger's hand yesterday, Harold felt hope and took solace??  OMG.  Harold Ford!  Watch Ken Burns' The Vietnam War!  Kissinger  is a disgrace. Not to mention he's half dead, and Trump listens to NOBODY!

Sleekandchic, I loved your entire post, but especially this paragraph about Kissinger. When Harold Ford said that he felt hope that Kissinger was talking to Trump before Trump's trip to Asia, I nearly jumped out of my chair. What kind of savvy advice could Kissinger give to Trump, and even if he were the wisest diplomat on earth, Trump wouldn't listen. He has the attention span of a gnat, and since he doesn't even know what a treaty is, do you think Kissinger could help? That was the dumbest thing I've heard Ford say, and he says lots of dumb things.

3 hours ago, sleekandchic said:
  • Love 4

The congressman from NY.  Feh. Although Mika tried to act all tough questioner, what a smug bastard. I hope disgraced former congressman Grimm runs and beats him.

Can we end the Weinstein crap after today? There's a crazy person in the WH for God's sake.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

Mike Barnicle....it is NOT NECESSARY to preface every question with a two-paragraph bullshit session to show us how erudite and knowledgeable you are.  Jackass.

Alas, Harold Ford makes Mike Barnicle look like a sage.   

ETA: Mike Barnicle should do the right thing and change the spelling of his last name to B-A-R-N-A-C-L-E.   It's not fair to the public to ask us to make the extra effort to remember his name is spelled with I instead of all A's.   Especially when his constant, unchanging daily presence immediately calls to mind characteristics we associate with the arthropod.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I heard that comment by Dumb Harold and groaned. Interestingly, Kissinger once called Dr. Z a "whore." Would love for Mika to spill some tea about that murderous, soulless manatee.

Aw, manatees are cute! And gentle.

But, otherwise, I agree with your assessment.

• Love 3

Lol I had just seen a photo of the meeting that gave so much comfort to Harold and Kissinger is sitting like some barely sentient blob with his mouth agape. I retract the manatee slander and replace it with Jabba the Hut or a Mucinex booger.

• Love 5

Luckily I missed the Weinstein part of the show.  Sounds like it took up a lot of time that could have been used for the end with the 2 guys about the environmental documentary that will be on PBS.  Boy was that rushed - they got what maybe 2 minutes?

Stop spending so much time on trump being called a moron.  Talk about running something into the ground.  Spend it on some of your guests like the environmental guys and Thomas Friedman.

The Thomas Freidman interview was probably the best thing I've seen on this show in ages.  I sat there stunned that it was as long as it was and that Joe was breaking in every 10 seconds.  Friedman made some excellent points -- too bad there's not more of this type of thing on this show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I heard that comment by Dumb Harold and groaned. Interestingly, Kissinger once called Dr. Z a "whore." Would love for Mika to spill some tea about that murderous, soulless manatee.

I overheard it from the other room while I was getting ready this morning. I said, "Only Harold Ford Jr. could say something THAT stupid." Sure enough, upon rewinding, I was right.

• Love 2

All kidding aside, the things being discussed on this show the last couple mornings are scaring me.   They keep talking about Weinstein's casting couch being the worst kept secret in Hollywood, how everyone knew about it but nobody did anything.   Will Trump's unfitness be called "the worst kept secret in Washington" after ten million people are vaporized?   How can so many Americans, including one of the most powerful Republican senators, be talking about this but no one is doing anything?   Not to diminish or trivialize the women's movement, but that alone brought millions of people to march on Washington.   Why is the prospect of being plunged into nuclear war less immediate or important?    I wish they would delve into that question on Morning Joe rather than simply pointing out that Congress is remaining silent.  Where are the protesters?   They could wear mushroom cloud hats even.   

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

how can you compare Kissinger to a manatee? Manatees are one of the most sweetest, trusting, gentlest  mammals in the ocean , and  in my opinion they're kinda cute. 

• Love 3

Did ESPN buy out Morning Joe?

ETA: Ugh, maybe they should have stuck to baseball.   Now Scarborough's gushing about how good looking Jared Kushner is,  "With that skinny tie ... He would be a good male model."  Nobody on the panel seemed eager to pick up the discussion.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, millennium said:

All kidding aside, the things being discussed on this show the last couple mornings are scaring me.   They keep talking about Weinstein's casting couch being the worst kept secret in Hollywood, how everyone knew about it but nobody did anything.   Will Trump's unfitness be called "the worst kept secret in Washington" after ten million people are vaporized?   How can so many Americans, including one of the most powerful Republican senators, be talking about this but no one is doing anything?   Not to diminish or trivialize the women's movement, but that alone brought millions of people to march on Washington.   Why is the prospect of being plunged into nuclear war less immediate or important?    I wish they would delve into that question on Morning Joe rather than simply pointing out that Congress is remaining silent.  Where are the protesters?   They could wear mushroom cloud hats even.   

What is so scary to me is that this is just what we are hearing about. If the world survives this administration, we are going to find out how bad it really was. And as appalling as Trump's ruminations on restricting the media might be, I wish the show wouldn't waste it's time pearl-clutching over the issue. There is not a ton Trump can do here to cancel the first amendment. Nuclear annihilation, another full frontal assault on healthcare, this horrible tax plan that cuts a trillion dollars from Medicaid...these are far more dangerous and immediate threats.

Joe and Mika are now making sour lemon faces at Hillary's response to a question about Weinstein; I think because they can't find anything in it to blame her for.

Seems like the other big villain emerging out of all these scandals is DA Cyrus Vance, who not only overlooked the Weinstein assaults but also let Don Jr and Ivanka slide on outright fraud charges.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10

Mika and Joe are over the top these days.  I really liked the show when I first began watching it.  Chris Licht was the producer then.  There was more variety and I don't remember segments repeating like they do now.

Oakville thanks for the response on the acronym SHS. People who claim to be oh so religious but whose behavior does not match the rhetoric are hard to take. 

• Love 4

Thursday Recap. Fleecy Joe is back. Mika is wearing Royal Blue. Everyone is excited that they went to Harvard & gave a lecture. Joe said they were open minded & nice to him. Joe said that Harvard is the Alabama of the North.

Joe made fun of Gilligans island.

Mika is mad at all the sports talk.

It's back to morongate. Mika bragged about NBC News standing by its report.

Did Mika discuss Ronan Farrow criticizing NBC for not reporting his story on Harvey Weinstein? He had to go to the New Yorker to get it published.

Ben Sasse is mad at Trump because he is attacking the "fake news" media.

Joe is excited about the 25th amendment. Everyone wants to use it to get rid of Trump.

Joe made fun of Gilligans island.

Passable Thurston Howell III imitation..

Mika is basically  a high paid announcer with a nice voice.  As I don't watch, only listen, I get another viewpoint on MJ.  All I hear is her introducing guests, in and out of segments, and making little mutters at other's statements.

YES! to the Weinstein Enough Already statement. As I said before, I thought the "Casting Couch" that has been around since the beginning of film was still in place?  What do I know?

I like how they tried to position themselves to swipe at Hillary, but couldn't quite find the angle.  She knows donators!  She knows people in power!  She said they're friends!  She is appalled!  She is giving the money to charity!  We want to be soo mad!

Hillary's blurb pissed me off.  you are no longer running for anything--tell it like it is!1  "I was friends with me, AS WERE OTHERS," etc.  always adding that disclaimer.  made me mad. 

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 1

I like Joe's fleece.  Good color, fits him well, has the logo, the only thing I don't like is that it's not a half-zip, they seem more... I dunno, debonair?  sophisticated?  That with an oxford underneath and maybe a tie, and he's got warm and preppy nailed.
Mika make Heilemann laugh.  Dry one-liner about Hannity's hard hitting interview with the dipshit in chief.  And what's weird, is Joe repeated her line, after hearing John laugh at it.  Weird, right?

I like how they tried to position themselves to swipe at Hillary, but couldn't quite find the angle.  She knows donators!  She knows people in power!  She said they're friends!  She is appalled!  She is giving the money to charity!  We want to be soo mad!

I wish they'd have a segment that's a more holistic view of the failing reality show that is Trump's term.  So much happens so fast, I wish we could see it all in context at times.  So we can see the compendium of fuck ups and gaffes and lies and insanity and policies that DO pass and undermine the fabric of our nation.  There's a lot going on, and in that spare hour they should have on Kornacki to remind us what has gone on previously and how that gives context to today's conversations.  The avalanche of moronic tweets causes us to lose focus on any potential overarching themes.

• Love 4

It's so funny to hear M & J lament, boo hoo, can't the adult children do something? 

Oh, you mean the ones that lie about everything then feign "we're political novices".

And former centerfold model wife being taken seriously?

At least Joe had the balls to finally put the Mrs in perspective.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Eliot said:

What is so scary to me is that this is just what we are hearing about. If the world survives this administration, we are going to find out how bad it really was. And as appalling as Trump's ruminations on restricting the media might be, I wish the show wouldn't waste it's time pearl-clutching over the issue. There is not a ton Trump can do here to cancel the first amendment. Nuclear annihilation, another full frontal assault on healthcare, this horrible tax plan that cuts a trillion dollars from Medicaid...these are far more dangerous and immediate threats.

Joe and Mika are now making sour lemon faces at Hillary's response to a question about Weinstein; I think because they can't find anything in it to blame her for.

Seems like the other big villain emerging out of all these scandals is DA Cyrus Vance, who not only overlooked the Weinstein assaults but also let Don Jr and Ivanka slide on outright fraud charges.

Cyrus Vance's dad & Mika's dad were enemies.

2 hours ago, Landsnark said:

I like Joe's fleece.  Good color, fits him well, has the logo, the only thing I don't like is that it's not a half-zip, they seem more... I dunno, debonair?  sophisticated?  That with an oxford underneath and maybe a tie, and he's got warm and preppy nailed.
Mika make Heilemann laugh.  Dry one-liner about Hannity's hard hitting interview with the dipshit in chief.  And what's weird, is Joe repeated her line, after hearing John laugh at it.  Weird, right?

I wish they'd have a segment that's a more holistic view of the failing reality show that is Trump's term.  So much happens so fast, I wish we could see it all in context at times.  So we can see the compendium of fuck ups and gaffes and lies and insanity and policies that DO pass and undermine the fabric of our nation.  There's a lot going on, and in that spare hour they should have on Kornacki to remind us what has gone on previously and how that gives context to today's conversations.  The avalanche of moronic tweets causes us to lose focus on any potential overarching themes.

It's tiresome that they focus on Trumps tweets.

I think they should discuss Trumps executive orders.

• Love 1

Yay Joe!  He finally calls out Melania.

I missed that part; what did he say?

Hillary's blurb pissed me off.  you are no longer running for anything--tell it like it is!1  "I was friends with me, AS WERE OTHERS," etc.  always adding that disclaimer.  made me mad. 

Meh. Whatever she says, it'll never be enough.

• Love 2

Yay Joe!  He finally calls out Melania.

I missed that part; what did he say?

I don't know what happened in the news--but Joe complained that Melania was bitching about "an ex Mrs. Trump" (Ivana I imagine, since she's been in the news) rather than worrying about Puerto Rico.  This seemed to be compared to her hubby, who is lashing out at the NFL while those pesky folks in PR are dying.

Edited by WhineandCheez
  • Love 2

They're in a jolly mood this morning, lots of laughter, wholly inappropriate on a day when millions are going to lose their health care.   I can't watch any more of it, especially with that grand asshole Rand Paul scheduled to appear later. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

Friday Recap. Mika is wearing a black top. Everyone hates Donnie's suit. The panel is happy with John Kelly.

KasieDc! starts Sunday.

Trump wants to take away the subsidies that fund Obamacare. Trump wants to throw the problem back to Congress.

Chuck & Nancy are not happy.

Today's theme is that Trump takes half measures.

Kasie said that Obama did this as well. He used executive orders.

Joe trashed the Iran deal. He blames Obama for giving cash to the Iranians. Joe now changed his opinion. You have to stay because the deal was front loaded.

Joe said Obama knew it was a bad deal but he was desperate for a deal.

Donnie is mad at Trump. Joe said he is doing it for his 32% base.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, millennium said:

They're in a jolly mood this morning, lots of laughter, wholly inappropriate on a day when millions are going to lose their health care.   I can't watch any more of it, especially with that grand asshole Rand Paul scheduled to appear later. 

He is on now, blatantly lying about pre-existing conditions and that these association health plans will offer "all the protections" of the ACA.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Eliot said:

He is on now, blatantly lying about pre-existing conditions and that these association health plans will offer "all the protections" of the ACA.

I so agree.  If this is such a great idea why wasn't this proposal on Trump's desk to sign on day one?  And why didn't anyone ask (looking at you Donnie) how can these plans be equal to say a GE plan when GE picks up a percentage of the costs that in turn drops their employees premiums?  Who's going to offset those costs in those horrible, weak proposed health care plans?  Really disappointed in the entire segment as it seemed very scripted.

• Love 2