Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

It used to be a show in the 70's & was called Battle of the Network Stars.

It was actually on again. They had some athletes or something and the cast of Scandal. 

Clint Watts gets hotter by the day. 

Joe keeps saying he wants to play music and hang out with Mika.  Joe, please you have our permission to follow your dreams.  Willie has proven he can run a morning news show, and you and the future third ex Mrs. Scarborough can hang out in Nantucket and raise rabbits and write a rock opera about how Paris Hilton brought you two together. 

• Love 11

Do the networks tell the staff to focus on certain talking points that viewers would like to hear? . 

Does a bear poo in the woods?

I play this little game with myself I like to call "R or D"? (No, not research or development) I don't usually watch MJ just listen so when I hear a politician talk I figure out if he is Repub or Demo by his/her words then glance up to see the telling initials after their name in the caption.  SO MANY march in lockstep with their partyline. Its SO DEMORALIZING to hear the Rs defend whatever Trump's latest blunder is with "he meant to do that" rhetoric AND it's also boring to hear the Ds tear down Trump 24/7, as if he is the only thing wrong in DC right now.

• Love 4

Kasie made a depressing remark this morning. She said it doesn't look like the republicans will loose control of the senate or the Congress. No! I hope she's wrong

Did I hear boo hoping for John Kelly? He knew what he was signing up for.

• Love 1

MSNBC will never retool this show with Willie and Kasie etc.  Between the Trump feud and the Mika/Joe romance, this show has become for better or worse part of popular culture. They're on covers of magazines for cripes sakes. Which leaves the option of Joe and Mika hanging it up. Again I doubt this happens. Joe is constantly bragging how the NY/DC crowd is their key audience. He likes the sound of his voice. He likes getting invited to political glitterati parties. And that goes away as soon as you lose that TV real estate. That crowd doesn't socialize you because they like you; they socialize with you because they can use you (and you, them.) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

MSNBC will never retool this show with Willie and Kasie etc.  Between the Trump feud and the Mika/Joe romance, this show has become for better or worse part of popular culture. They're on covers of magazines for cripes sakes. Which leaves the option of Joe and Mika hanging it up. Again I doubt this happens. Joe is constantly bragging how the NY/DC crowd is their key audience. He likes the sound of his voice. He likes getting invited to political glitterati parties. And that goes away as soon as you lose that TV real estate. That crowd doesn't socialize you because they like you; they socialize with you because they can use you (and you, them.) 

I agree that they will probably stay at MSNBC, but their contract is up in 2018 (not sure if it is the beginning or end of the year), and maybe they will decide they have had enough of the early mornings, and decide to do something different.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cased said:

I agree that they will probably stay at MSNBC, but their contract is up in 2018 (not sure if it is the beginning or end of the year), and maybe they will decide they have had enough of the early mornings, and decide to do something different.

It sure seems like they want a little more flexibility schedule wise and maybe they are getting a little bored.  Gotta say, though, that the network seems like it has been very flexible with them, especially Joe.  Not very many folks get to work from studios in their house.  Maybe once they are married, Morning Joe will be broadcast from Mika's and Joe's bedroom.  Kidding, of course.

• Love 3

Do other morning shows have flexible hosts?  I know they do on sports radio talk shows and TV/radio shows.
It's a cheap way to audition talent and get talent experience.

I feel bad for poor Steve Kornacki.  He's no different than Chris Hayes, but he's a bench player who sometimes has to be on in the 6am hour for Morning Joe and randomly appear on other shows through the day.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Maybe once they are married, Morning Joe will be broadcast from Mika's and Joe's bedroom.  Kidding, of course.

Oh, if they could, they would. Not kidding. Last year's holiday show in the fireplace bunker when they sported coordinating flannel pajamas clearly demonstrated that. Another EP is scheduled to drop soon and for that we surely will see both in studio, at least for a few days. A Renaissance man in mid-life crisis with a simpering, preening handmaiden is the burden we bear. ::: sigh :::

• Love 5
16 hours ago, cased said:

A few years ago they tried to sell a pilot to another network about millenials working on a cable tv news show. It didn't work

• Love 1

Friday Recap. Joe is back in the bunker. Mika is off. Kasie! & Elise are on the same set. Boring Barnicle & Donny" Trump is in trouble" Deutsh & Heileman.

Joe wanted to focus on Mitch vs Trump. Joe said Mitch is a master legislator & nothing can get done in Congress without him.

Joe warned Trump not to cross Mitch or JeffFlake.

Joe said Trump is becoming more independant. He is fighting with the GOP more than Democrats.

Donnie supports Trump's tough talk on North Korea. Donnie said it will hurt him at the Hampton cocktail parties this weekend.

Joe said he is in Middle America & a man of the people. Joe is shocked that Trump is so popular with his rhetoric .

Joe said North Korea would be a tough war.

They discussed Manafort. He is in trouble. Will he tyrn on Trump.mp

Trump is happy that Diplomats were kicked out of Russia. It cuts payroll & reduces the deficit.

Joe said Trump is golfing & tweeting while on vacation. .Joe mocked Trump.

I watched the press conference yesterday. The President speaks likes clips from a jukebox. It's so weird.

I bet they could take 50 of his clips and put them together for a speech.

Joe wants Trump to have a detailed health care plan.

• Love 4

Trifecta!  Elise! Donnie! John Heilemann!

Eugene Robinson is on to say trump thinks he's a strong man, beating his chest, with his North Korea threats.  Like a gorilla?  I have no doubt that KoKo the gorilla would be a better president.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 10
On 8/9/2017 at 10:43 AM, oakville said:

There's no way they're leaving this gig. It's their claim to fame with the Washington elite.

I was only half listening this morning as I as getting ready for work, but I got mightily irritated by whoever it was who was talking about Trump's North Korea talk as being "strategically directed at China and Russia," or some such nonsense. WHEN ARE THESE IDIOTS GOING TO LEARN? He has NO strategy, NO plan, NO idea what he is talking about! He is flailing and bumbling and posturing, with no understanding of the history or personalities or dynamics in play - and he refuses to consult with or listen to the people who DO. This orange asshole is going to get millions of people killed with his stupidity. It infuriates me daily that he has the arrogance and hubris to EVER think that he could be president or do an even remotely acceptable job.

This panel needs to wake up and open their eyes. I feel like Elise gets it. Not sure about any of the others.

• Love 14

Joe is getting mocked on twitter for misspelling cogently & blaming millenials for not doing more to join the military. He wrote that kids in the early 1940s were more likely to join the military than today.

It's hypocrisy since he nor Jo 's kids have served in the military. There was also a draft during World War 2

Edited by oakville
iPhone spelling sucks
  • Love 11

I was about to blow a gasket when Joe intoned in the last segment that there is a binary "culture war" in this country and that, if you're not for Trump, you're for Hillary. That discounts the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of voters who found both of them disgusting liars and voted for the person they hated a little less. And the polls back that up - neither of them had great approval/trustworthiness numbers going into the election. But then Kasie called him on it and said there were plenty of people at the Sanders rallies who were rural, and/or blue collar, and certainly not the "coastal elites" that Joe claims makes up the Democratic party. I could have hugged her.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I was about to blow a gasket when Joe intoned in the last segment that there is a binary "culture war" in this country and that, if you're not for Trump, you're for Hillary. That discounts the hundreds of thousands (millions?) of voters who found both of them disgusting liars and voted for the person they hated a little less. And the polls back that up - neither of them had great approval/trustworthiness numbers going into the election. But then Kasie called him on it and said there were plenty of people at the Sanders rallies who were rural, and/or blue collar, and certainly not the "coastal elites" that Joe claims makes up the Democratic party. I could have hugged her.

Kasie ! is right. The Sanders-Trump voters helped ztrump win. 

Sanders & Trump both won in Michigan.

Joe's hair was extremely wind blown today.  I wonder if it was windy in Nantucket today?

• Love 3

The Sanders-Trump voters helped ztrump win. 

The data that was analyzed showed very little crossover from Sanders to Trump.  The bigger problem was low voter turnout for the Dems.

Edited by Mumbles

Jonathan Turley was a waste of Morning Joe air time.  Turley wouldn't stop yammering about his pet issue, the overuse of no-knock warrants, that judges just blindly go along with no-knocks when they're not really necessary.  Heilemann tried without success to direct Turley back to what the raid on Manafort's home meant, what the prosecutor thought they were going to find.  I can't believe way back when in the dark years of Bush 43 I used to like Turley.  Ick.    

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

The data that was analyzed showed very little crossover from Sanders to Trump.  The bigger problem was low voter turnout for the Dems.

Yeah a lot of those Sanders voters declined to vote or voted third party, in effect helping Trump.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

Low voter turnout among Sanders supporters in key states is just as bad for Democrats.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, stormy said:

Trifecta!  Elise! Donnie! John Heilemann!

Eugene Robinson is on to say trump thinks he's a strong man, beating his chest, with his North Korea threats.  Like a gorilla?  I have no doubt that KoKo the gorilla would be a better president.

Eugene is right on with that one! Trump beating his chest like a tough guy. If North Korea would ever attack Trump would be the first one to hide in a bunker scared shitless.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, stormy said:

Like a gorilla?  I have no doubt that KoKo the gorilla would be a better president.

It might give new meaning to "banana republic."

Scarborough bends like a reed in the wind, doesn't he?   One day left, one day right ... whatever viewpoint he thinks will make him appear clever.

I heard Jeffery Lord is joining the panel.   Should liven things up.

• Love 4

Yeah, Joe is going to die waiting for that.

Agreed. What in the last few months has given Joe any basis to think this is going to happen? 

Do these morons think that their beloved General Kelly is going to make a president out of Trump? Jeez just look at the last week.

Eugene Robinson is on to say trump thinks he's a strong man, beating his chest, with his North Korea threats. 

You know, this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but in the past few months I've come around to thinking Robinson doesn't really have a lot of *interesting* things to say. Sure I agree with this statement, but this is something that millions of people are thinking. He's a friend of the show so he's on a lot, but I don't really expect a lot of insight when he's on. The only thing he does okay is push back on Joe on occasion.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, stormy said:

No! He gets canned from CNN and ends up here? I won't watch that creepy bastard.

I apologize up front as I can't find the article that said virtually no cable network will touch this guy with a a ten foot pole since CNN finally dumped him.  Goodness what a mess.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Agreed. What in the last few months has given Joe any basis to think this is going to happen? 

Do these morons think that their beloved General Kelly is going to make a president out of Trump? Jeez just look at the last week.

You know, this is probably going to be an unpopular opinion but in the past few months I've come around to thinking Robinson doesn't really have a lot of *interesting* things to say. Sure I agree with this statement, but this is something that millions of people are thinking. He's a friend of the show so he's on a lot, but I don't really expect a lot of insight when he's on. The only thing he does okay is push back on Joe on occasion.

The panel is getting stale. Barnicle, Ford Jr & Robinson are boring. Halperin hasn't been on in a few weeks & has not been missed. The show needs more Kasie!.

I wonder if Joe would allow Megyn Kelly on the show ?. She has more free time now that her show was cancelled early. I recall Joe getting into a few fights with her over his ratings.

5 hours ago, izabella said:

Yeah, Joe is going to die waiting for that.

The show never really explained why Trump forgot about his no medicaid cut plan.

• Love 1

Like Meek-a would ever allow another blonde with short hair on with Joe.  I cannot stand Megyn Kelly, but I'll bet she could go rings around Meek-a when it comes to interviewing and the all-important "reading news" skill.  Like it or not, we are stuck with Meek-a and Joe until they decide to go on to other things....can't be soon enough, but they have made a name for themselves as a team and they will ride the horse as long as it makes them relevant.  In certain circles.  I think they honestly believe they are the most interesting, important people on a  morning news show...or any cable news show.   Even though I cannot stand Joe and his beady-eyed bloviating...sometimes he has a pretty good sense of humor and can make me laugh.  Sometimes...like his imitation of Sarah Huckaf.k. Sanders.  Meek-a could take the joy and humor out of anything.  Cannot stand her.

• Love 2

In light of the violence in Charlottesville & murder of the young lady by the white nationalist that ran her over, I wonder what tone the show will take tomorrow ?

Will Joe just decide to bash Trump for 3 hours? Mika could be back from Nantucket

Wasn't the protest about the town's decision to take down the General Lee statue in a park ?

Will Joe support these moves? I noticed that Pensacola has several Confederate War memorials. I wonder if Joe will now support removing the memorials? He didn't when he was in Congress.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2017 at 9:11 AM, teddysmom said:

Joe, please you have our permission to follow your dreams.  Willie has proven he can run a morning news show, and you and the future third ex Mrs. Scarborough can hang out in Nantucket and raise rabbits and write a rock opera about how Paris Hilton brought you two together. 

Brilliant.  Insightful.  Clever.  Snarky.  Love it. 

Will "the future third ex Mrs. Scarborough"  (? ?) be gracing us with her presence this morning?  I wait with bated breath . . . . .

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 4

No lovebirds today. They're off lovebirding.    I'm actually disappointed, as I wanted their (okay, Joe's) take on this past weekend.  Meek-a would just sit there making frowny faces and clucking noises.

I'm probably in a minority but I like Willie.  He's serious when he needs to be but also had a quick wit and way with words.  He's doing a good job this morning....but maybe that's just me. 

• Love 10

Monday Recap. Mika & Joe have extended their vacation in Nantucket. Willie was hosting by himself . It is a major dissapointment that this show couldn't get anyone to discuss the issues with gravitas. Donnie Deutsh? Harold Ford Jr?.

Donnie called Trump a pathetic snivelling man.

Willie is upset about " what about ism" . Willie did not like Trump talking about the antifa movement.

The focus of the show was why Trump's comments on Saturday weren't strong enough against the Neo Nazis.

Donnie is opposed to Nazis. Who would support Nazis? It's silly.

Almiche was in Washington & was very upset about Charlotteville & slavery.

Donnie wants Mika's friend Dinah Powell to quit the TRump administration as a sign of protest.

Willie made fun of the mayor of Charlottsville for talking about what a great place it was to live & work there.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

No lovebirds today. They're off lovebirding.    I'm actually disappointed, as I wanted their (okay, Joe's) take on this past weekend.  Meek-a would just sit there making frowny faces and clucking noises.

I'm probably in a minority but I like Willie.  He's serious when he needs to be but also had a quick wit and way with words.  He's doing a good job this morning....but maybe that's just me. 

I think that most people here like Willie.

• Love 6

Eugene Robinson came on to rant against Trump for trying to get the white supremacist vote during the campaign.

The show played a clip of Trump bashing Duke in 2000 when he joined the Reform Party but not remembering him in 2016.

Harold Ford Jr reminded Eugene that Trump did better with Latinos & African Americans than McCain or Romney.

Eugene sheepishly admitted that Bill Clinton's policies of mass incarceration of African Americans was not popular with African Americans.

Hillary didn't do much to excite the African American base. She took them for granted.

Robert Costa gets the messy hair award on Today's show.

The panel hopes that the GOP breaks with Trump.

This panel is being obtuse about history. Didn't Clinton use "dog whistle" politics in the 1990's to win several Souther states?

Richard Haas discussed venezuala. He was mad at Trump for threatening military action to stop the chaos in Venezuala.

Haas wants sanctions.

Haas said that Trump should listen to the foreign policy Security Council. They can make contact with the opposition.

• Love 2

I think Mika tweeted over the weekend that Trump's comments on Charlottesville were "lame".  Joe was also on twitter demanding that Trump say something other than " violence on all sides". 

Personally, I don't mind when they aren't on. I do a lot less yelling at the tv. 

• Love 2

What does she do in southern France all the time anyway?

Perhaps the chickens are better there? I remember something about Dr Z sending her there when she was a teen.

This panel is being obtuse about history. Didn't Clinton use "dog whistle" politics in the 1990'

Golly, thanks oakville.  Joe neglected to refer to Bill Clinton today, so I guess you got his back.

• Love 5

By far the star of the morning was Julia Ioffe. First, she calls out all the talk about whether this is a "turning point" for the GOP to distance it from Trump. She pointed out, they made murmuring noises of disapproval last year when he went after Judge Curial, the Khans, the pussy comments....but stuck with their man. And they will do so now. They are moral cowards. And then she snarked about how they fall back on "we are the partying Lincoln" garbage (which Rick Tyler actually tried the first hour). As she pointed out, the party that ran Nixon's Southern Strategy gave that up 40 years ago. (I'd go so far as to say Goldwater marked the end.)

Donny is usually good on this stuff but when he wailed how "good people" in the administration like Gary Cohn must be mortified.  Please. They signed up to work for this guy even after the campaign he ran last year. They are complicit cowards.

Biggest tool of the morning was the mayor of Charlottesville who spent his segment talking up how nice his town is. Lol when Willie told him, your chamber of commerce is pleased with you, now answer the question.

Second biggest tool was Tony Perez who talked up the bumper crop of new Dem talent they have to run against Trump. But lol he couldn't be any colder when Hillary Clinton came up. He shot that shit down.

Just to correct Rick Tyler, who called Trump the father of birtherism...actually Mark Penn and Hillary Clinton were circulating a photo of Obama in a headdress in 2007 and discussing how to play his "otherism" to suburban primary voters, years before Trump started. 

This panel is being obtuse about history. Didn't Clinton use "dog whistle" politics in the 1990'

Yes indeed. Sister Soulja, and Hillary Clinton compared black children to animals. They were appealing to general white innate racism that these goons in Charlottesville just took to a different degree. They're just smoother at it than Trump. 

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 1

Julia Ioffe was back on the show. She was upset at having being subjected to anti semitic attacks. She is well known for her jokes on twitter about President Trump committing incest with Ivanka & outing Melania's secret half brother.

Confessore said he loved her piece about Melania's family but did not mention the incest tweet.

Julia complained about Trolls ordering  coffins and a homicide clean up crew to be delivered to someone's apartment. ? That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. I am pretty sure you can't do that in Canada.

23 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Perhaps the chickens are better there? I remember something about Dr Z sending her there when she was a teen.

Golly, thanks oakville.  Joe neglected to refer to Bill Clinton today, so I guess you got his back.

Mika's adventures in the 1980's with the son of former Lebanese President Gemayal's son in the South of France was weird. Mika said Gemayel  kept buying her bikinis without tops & asked her to wear them. Topless sunbathing is widely accepted in the South of France. He also took her to see adult films in St Tropez. I have no clue why Dr Z would do that to Mika.

Al Sharpton showed at 8 30 am. Al was mad at Trump for advocating the death penalty for the rape & murder of a woman in Central park.

Al Sharpton went after Donnie Deutsch when he demanded that he call Trump a racist. He reminded Donnie that he had more experience fighting racism that Donnie.

Donnie is behaving immaturely again.