Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Totally agree about it being ridiculous.  I am curious as to whether this was a planned leak to test reaction to them appearing on camera on vacation together.  This is pretty new territory -- there have been very few real couples in this role.  We know that Joe and Mika sometimes plant things on Page Six...

It seems to me that there is some worry that them being "together" on the air during MJ somehow undermines the seriousness of their show -- that is all I can make of it.  They are not totally comfortable with being out on air on their show (think of the response to their engagement, Donny giving them an engagement gift, and even Joe asking Mika about her July 4). Trump clearly thought it might undermine them (hence outing them last year, which the NY Mag article says was against their wishes).  

In any event, the show needs to figure out how to handle it, since these joint vacations/trips will only continue, of course.  I am in favor of just acknowledging it and being open about it.  

I found the article to be very informative. Joe was staying at Mar A largo with his kids & Trump would call to find out of Mika was there. Trump was gathering info on the secretive couple.

I do find it very odd how they handled their engagement on the show. They pretend they are 'serious" analysts.

However, why are they commenting on all these stories for Vanity fair etc.?

I do think their children must find this upsetting. Mika's kids are teens & still pose for numerous photos with their dad.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Totally agree about it being ridiculous.  I am curious as to whether this was a planned leak to test reaction to them appearing on camera on vacation together.  This is pretty new territory -- there have been very few real couples in this role.  We know that Joe and Mika sometimes plant things on Page Six...

It seems to me that there is some worry that them being "together" on the air during MJ somehow undermines the seriousness of their show -- that is all I can make of it.  They are not totally comfortable with being out on air on their show (think of the response to their engagement, Donny giving them an engagement gift, and even Joe asking Mika about her July 4). Trump clearly thought it might undermine them (hence outing them last year, which the NY Mag article says was against their wishes).  

In any event, the show needs to figure out how to handle it, since these joint vacations/trips will only continue, of course.  I am in favor of just acknowledging it and being open about it.  

I completely agree with this. I can't figure out why they bothered to pretend to be at different remote locations when they were really not. For one thing, it made the show worse because it was more disjointed with so many people at different locations. Also, they could still be professional and sit together on the same remote set. They wouldn't have to discuss why they were there, and most people wouldn't have known they were in London anyway, since they did not have any London signage. Additionally, off the show, they are being more and more open about their relationship. On Stephen Colbert, they came out holding hands, and this NY Mag article revealed much more than the previous Vanity Fair article.

On another note, the part of the Page Six article that I found confusing was "“Joe and Mika are away together again,”. Other than their engagement trip, I really don't recall them taking a lot of time off recently, especially together. Obviously Mika was away some when here Dad died, but that is very understandable, and she actually took off less time than I would have expected. Over Fourth of July, they took Monday off, but were back at work on Wednesday (They were also planning on taking the previous Friday off, but that was partially short circuited by Trump's tweets). Even on the London trip, the only days they took off together were the two Fridays. So while the location silliness is a valid complaint, I don't think that excessive time off is. In any case, all the shows with single hosts have substitute hosts all the time when the host is off, and no one complains about that. So I don't think it should be an issue if Joe and Mika want to take time off together. And isn't Willie considered to be a cohost?

• Love 3
(edited)

Joe and Mika are on the cover of New York Magazine tomorrow: 

EDITED -  as reported on the prior page, so sorry!

Edited by ktwo
  • Love 1

They're giving the NY cover a bit of a plug on social media, though Mika just stuck with mentioning her mom's part in it all. The author seemed pretty impressed by *that* and posted photos of the studio on her Instagram, too.

Also - for those who can't stay away from the relationship curiosity side of it - she posted a backstage photo from the other week. Joe's hair, though, my god.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nicole21290 said:

They're giving the NY cover a bit of a plug on social media, though Mika just stuck with mentioning her mom's part in it all. The author seemed pretty impressed by *that* and posted photos of the studio on her Instagram, too.

Also - for those who can't stay away from the relationship curiosity side of it - she posted a backstage photo from the other week. Joe's hair, though, my god.

Haha. Joe's head is so long to begin with, and that hair just makes it look even longer. But if Mika likes it, I guess the hair is staying. 

• Love 2

Tuesday recap. Joe is in an undisclosed studio. The bunker lease has been renewed.

Mika is in the NY Studio wearing a new turquoise sweater.!

Joe is outraged at the grotesque behavior shown by Trump . He bragged about his election victory & quoted the boy scout oaths concerning loyalty.

Joe wants Trump to stop bragging about his victory. This from a man who still boasts about winning a Congressional District in 1994 with a landslide GOP.

Will Sessions be fired?

What will Trump do?

Joe said Trump is in a time machine. Trump tweeted wanting to know about the investigation of Hillary 's support from Ukraine.

I suspect Joe will be on a 3 hour rant against Trump today. I feel sorry for the poor bloke that has to stay with Trump in the Bunker.

Joe mocked Trump for losing the popular vote by 3M. OK Joe.

Joe said Trump is cornered by the investigation.

• Love 2

Some of us are such chroniclers of MJ minutae that we commented on the high hair when it made its debut. In reference to that, and the NYMag article, we know when Mika sank the final harpoon (although at that time we lacked confirmation that a hunt was on). Joe's hair is thick and unruly with strong growth patterns and he's right-handed so like most men he parted his hair on the left, and it behaved. With his unruly mop, changing the part to the right side goes against the growth patterns (and the training) and makes high hair. A final 'poon found its target and Joe's public makeover (an affirmation of his love) was complete! No doubt there was much enjoyment of high hair (squee!) before It began appearing on our screens, and it was followed by matching outfits. I think the big difference between these two and other hosts/pundits is that these two are shamelessly self-involved self-promoters.

• Love 1

Joe is shouting in the bunker about McCabe getting 700K for his wife's campaign for Hillary. Joe wants us to take notes!.

It is baffling that the deputy FBI Dr is a Democrat?

Joe took off his glasses and is shouting at Trump through the show.

Trump should not have the right to defend himself against Sessions & the evil FBI!.

Stop Watching Morning Joe, Trump!

Sessions likes the Attorney General job according to Julie Pace.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cased said:

I completely agree with this. I can't figure out why they bothered to pretend to be at different remote locations when they were really not. For one thing, it made the show worse because it was more disjointed with so many people at different locations. Also, they could still be professional and sit together on the same remote set. They wouldn't have to discuss why they were there, and most people wouldn't have known they were in London anyway, since they did not have any London signage. Additionally, off the show, they are being more and more open about their relationship. On Stephen Colbert, they came out holding hands, and this NY Mag article revealed much more than the previous Vanity Fair article.

On another note, the part of the Page Six article that I found confusing was "“Joe and Mika are away together again,”. Other than their engagement trip, I really don't recall them taking a lot of time off recently, especially together. Obviously Mika was away some when here Dad died, but that is very understandable, and she actually took off less time than I would have expected. Over Fourth of July, they took Monday off, but were back at work on Wednesday (They were also planning on taking the previous Friday off, but that was partially short circuited by Trump's tweets). Even on the London trip, the only days they took off together were the two Fridays. So while the location silliness is a valid complaint, I don't think that excessive time off is. In any case, all the shows with single hosts have substitute hosts all the time when the host is off, and no one complains about that. So I don't think it should be an issue if Joe and Mika want to take time off together. And isn't Willie considered to be a cohost?

I completely agree with you, too.  I think they are becoming more and more comfortable as a public couple and that will probably spill over to the show at some point.  That they even acknowledged being together on July 4 was a big change from the awkward deflection of their engagement news, which I found totally strange. And the Colbert show and the new article suggest they are getting more and more comfortable.  That makes sense -- they have been hiding it for so long.  Plus, the ratings are very strong, so knowledge of the relationship only seems to be having a positive effect.  How seriously viewers take them has very little to do with whether they are sleeping together or not.

Willie has been missing for weeks and no one seems to care about that -- and even when they were seemingly on vacation in London, Joe and Mika still appeared.  They deserve time off and they will probably increasingly take that time off together (which has only been somewhat recent, I agree).  They should not be criticized just because they are doing it together.  

In any event, Joe is still in London (same screen and it is different than his CT bunker) and Mika returned.  So, despite Page Six, they are not ALWAYS together.  :)

• Love 1

Oakville, Oakville, the United States government is a complete shitshow, and still you recap-on.  This could only be done by a Canadian.  I'll bet you don't even cross over the border to shop, do you??

Joe and Mika are on the cover of New York 

It's the return of the Unitarian scarf!!!!

The Mooch looks just like Mario Cantone.

Perfect, Ohwell. I knew he reminded me of someone! Here's a photo of Mario. SNL, please contact him.

Ok, first I didn't realize yesterday that The Mooch was Scarramucci.  Second the best Mario Cantone deadpan line in SITC ever was:

Charlotte: (eating lunch with Anthony and complaining about her impotent husband Trey)-- "Anyway, when was the last time YOU had sex?"

Anthony: (without missing a beat) 9 Am this morning at the gym

• Love 3
11 hours ago, oakville said:

I found the article to be very informative. Joe was staying at Mar A largo with his kids & Trump would call to find out of Mika was there. Trump was gathering info on the secretive couple.

I do find it very odd how they handled their engagement on the show. They pretend they are 'serious" analysts.

However, why are they commenting on all these stories for Vanity fair etc.?

I do think their children must find this upsetting. Mika's kids are teens & still pose for numerous photos with their dad.

I was surprised by how much they shared in the article.  The VF article had emphasized that both marriages (Joe's and Mika's) had ended of natural causes (i.e. not adultery).  But this article muddies the water.  Mika's very open admission that there was a moment when she knew and it was alarming and complicated says a lot.  

I am sure that they would not be talking in public if the kids on both sides were not comfortable with the story.  Mika's children joined them in London (based on her Instagram feed).  That sure suggests comfort.  Or at least a desire to spend a week in London!  

• Love 2

Tuesday's lesson.  Jared is still stupid.  And running the world.

I disagree with Joe.  trump is crazy. And getting crazier.

Clint has complete confidence that no matter what happens to Mueller, the FBI will do it's job.  I hope he's right.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mmtx2002 said:

I was surprised by how much they shared in the article.  The VF article had emphasized that both marriages (Joe's and Mika's) had ended of natural causes (i.e. not adultery).  But this article muddies the water.  Mika's very open admission that there was a moment when she knew and it was alarming and complicated says a lot.  

I am sure that they would not be talking in public if the kids on both sides were not comfortable with the story.  Mika's children joined them in London (based on her Instagram feed).  That sure suggests comfort.  Or at least a desire to spend a week in London!  

I noticed those comments from Mika, and also at another point in the article it talked about Joe deciding he wanted to be with Mika "however complicated that would be".

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mmtx2002 said:

It's highly unlikely that the marriage ended naturally. Mika would not have begged Roger Ailes to stop the story about their affair

• Love 2
(edited)

So both Harold Ford and Joe Manchin at separate times during this show cited "overregulation" as an issue that the Democrats need to face head-on to win. Yeah, those pesky workplace safety rules are why people are living in garages in Silicon Valley. What vile, stupid people.

So Mika and Joe went off on Kushner today again. These are the two who were cooing in January how Jared had made "personal sacrifices" such as leaving his daddy's billion dollar company, to go work at the White House (a point which thankfully Elise Jordan called bullshit on at the time.) I'm all for their fair criticisms of Jared. I just hope the next time they become enamored of someone, they ask themselves, maybe I should quit the sucking up in case this person turns out to be another Jared. 

Oh, and Joe: Rahm Emanuel didn't come up with the successful strategy of finding home-grown candidates in every district to run for office. That was Howard Dean's "Fifty State Strategy" and Dean never got credit for it. Emanuel and his gang of hacks didn't support it when Dean was DNC chair but have been taking credit for it ever since, after it swung the House Dem in 2006.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, oakville said:

It's highly unlikely that the marriage ended naturally. Mika would not have begged Roger Ailes to stop the story about their affair

Right. I think it's pretty obvious that neither marriage ended naturally. The surprise is that the are starting to hint that that is the case.

• Love 4

Well, I think Joe's goal of becoming a Kennedy, with Mika's help, is complete.  High hair?  Check.  The preppie look..shoes with no socks.  Check.  Spending lots of time in Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard? Check.  Being attached, romantically, with a Princess (in his mind)? Check.  And I do believe these two will last for the long haul.  If they can stay on teevee.  If for some reason they lose the hosting duties, all bets are off.  Still, it is obvious they are happy, and it seems that he doesn't bully her in "real life", so at least there is that.  He seems almost giddy with their life together.  I guess since they have "gone public" with their romance, a weight has been lifted. I still can't really warm up to Meek-ah.  But she shows a human side in the article, and they seem to have worked out the extended family situation.  Joe has come a long way from Alabama and all the other places he has lived.  Hundreds of other places?

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Kemper said:

. I still can't really warm up to Meek-ah.

I've always found her OK (maybe it's because I liked her father - esp when he called out Joe), but I wonder what she sees in Joe.  I guess one has to be with him constantly to  appreciate him. LOL

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Well, I think Joe's goal of becoming a Kennedy, with Mika's help, is complete.  High hair?  Check.  The preppie look..shoes with no socks.  Check.  Spending lots of time in Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard? Check.  Being attached, romantically, with a Princess (in his mind)? Check.  And I do believe these two will last for the long haul.  If they can stay on teevee.  If for some reason they lose the hosting duties, all bets are off.  Still, it is obvious they are happy, and it seems that he doesn't bully her in "real life", so at least there is that.  He seems almost giddy with their life together.  I guess since they have "gone public" with their romance, a weight has been lifted. I still can't really warm up to Meek-ah.  But she shows a human side in the article, and they seem to have worked out the extended family situation.  Joe has come a long way from Alabama and all the other places he has lived.  Hundreds of other places?

It's true that Joe is  enjoying being a former GOP hack. However, he acknowledged on his show that he would not change his views on social or economic issues that Conservatives believe in. It looks to me that he trying to join the trendy neverTrumpers.

3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Oakville, Oakville, the United States government is a complete shitshow, and still you recap-on.  This could only be done by a Canadian.  I'll bet you don't even cross over the border to shop, do you??

It's the return of the Unitarian scarf!!!!

Ok, first I didn't realize yesterday that The Mooch was Scarramucci.  Second the best Mario Cantone deadpan line in SITC ever was:

Charlotte: (eating lunch with Anthony and complaining about her impotent husband Trey)-- "Anyway, when was the last time YOU had sex?"

Anthony: (without missing a beat) 9 Am this morning at the gym

I enjoy doing the recaps. The show is hilarious with Trumps tweets interrupting the issues being discussed.

i wish I could recap the whole show but so have to leave for work by 730 am

Joes hair deserves its own special recap. 

I haven't crossed the border since the election, but I do plans to spend the Christmas holidays in Florida.! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cased said:

Right. I think it's pretty obvious that neither marriage ended naturally. The surprise is that the are starting to hint that that is the case.

Yes, I don't think anyone bought the natural causes line, but it was the talking point/line.  What is surprising is that they are abandoning it and being honest.  I suppose it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise because I think Mika has always been pretty open about relatively private things.

I am a fan of both and I am a sucker for the rom-com narrative, though this was complicated.  But I don't judge.  They are clearly very happy together and well matched.  I thought the line in the NY Mag article captured it -- no matter what you think of them, these are two people who really f'ing love each other.  

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, oakville said:

i wish I could recap the whole show but so have to leave for work by 730 am

Please don't ever worry about not doing the whole show as I pretty much live for your daily recaps as they are!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, stormy said:

Tuesday's lesson.  Jared is still stupid.  And running the world.

I disagree with Joe.  trump is crazy. And getting crazier.

Clint has complete confidence that no matter what happens to Mueller, the FBI will do it's job.  I hope he's right.

The bigger story today was healthcare, specifically John McCain receiving the best healthcare the taxpayers' money can buy, then flying off to Washington and voting to deprive a huge portion of those same taxpayers even basic healthcare.   (I'd love to be a fly on the wall when McCain is trying to explain that one to God).

In the clips of Morning Joe that I saw, healthcare was barely addressed.   I guess it has become a tiresome topic by now, with all the hype and outrage already expended, the attention span gone, which is exactly what Trump was angling for and exactly why people like me who are self-employed and can't afford to buy insurance privately now face a very uncertain and scary future -- not to mention the millions who are unemployed, under-employed or on Medicaid.

I guess that will be tomorrow's show.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, stormy said:

^^^  Ditto. There's no MJ without Oakville!

I appreciate that! i think I might try to get up earlier to do a recap of the the parts I missed of the previous day's show.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mmtx2002 said:

Yes, I don't think anyone bought the natural causes line, but it was the talking point/line.  What is surprising is that they are abandoning it and being honest.  I suppose it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise because I think Mika has always been pretty open about relatively private things.

I am a fan of both and I am a sucker for the rom-com narrative, though this was complicated.  But I don't judge.  They are clearly very happy together and well matched.  I thought the line in the NY Mag article captured it -- no matter what you think of them, these are two people who really f'ing love each other.  

I do agree that Mika & Joe have excellent chemistry. They remind me of Maddie Hayes & David Adderson from Moonlighting.

I do feel bad for Mika & Joe's ex spouses & kids. Divorce sucks.

I hope they are happy together.

• Love 3

Wednesday Recap. Joe is in the Euro Bunker. Mika is on set in NYC. The White Unitarian Scarf is back! Mika is wearing a black dress.

The lighting in the Bunker was higher than normal, so Joe's hair was  shiny light brown.

Elise is wearing one of Mika's blue sleeveless dresses. Eddie Verified is back. Jeremy Peters, Halperin, Kasie! are also on the panel. Kasie is wearing a brown jacket.

Joe is mad at Trump for giving a speech comparing himself to Lincoln. Joe mocked Trump and said 42% want him to be impeached.

Joe said Trump is throwing Sessions under the bus

Someone on the panel called Sessios an Eagle Scout.

Kasie is worried about a constitutional crisis if he fires Sessions or he resigns. No one else wants the job.

Elise said that Trump wants an AG to help him maneuver the law & help him out personally.

Joe said Trump gave money to Hillary so its OK if Muller does as well.

Mika said that Trump wasted time by attacking a Cable Host.

Joe said that Trump needed Sessions for endorsement & credibility purposes.

Eddie was upset that McCain did not vote down the motion to proceed. McCain should support Obamacare.

Joe exploded in his bunker at Eddie. Joe hates Obamacare. He wants people to have the right to buy Insurance but not be forced. Joe does not want the government to control healthcare. Joe attacked Eddie & said that McCain should not have to vote the way Eddie wants.

Eddie backed off & restated his position. Eddie said it is OK to debate healthcare.

Mika said the GOP wants to take Health care away from people. Joe got mad at Mika & said that she was wrong. It's about freedom to buy health care.

Joe wants free enterprise solutions in healthcare.

Joe said he would not vote for the GOP healthcare plan.

Mika made fun of the new democratic logo of "A better deal!". Tim Ryan is not happy with the slogan. He wants Trump to focus on cheaper healthcare & more infrastructure.

They briefly discussed the Democrats not agreeing with each other.  Mika wats to know who is leading the Democrats?

Everyone wants to know what Jeff Sessions will do?

• Love 1

Loved the opening today.....clips of Trump's ignorant rally speech.  

Cut to Joe and Mika......Joe can barely control his laughter.

On 7/25/2017 at 2:31 AM, nicole21290 said:

Joe's hair looks like a Seinfeld episode.

Mika is tiny!!

• Love 1

So both Harold Ford and Joe Manchin at separate times during this show cited "overregulation" as an issue that the Democrats need to face head-on to win. Yeah, those pesky workplace safety rules are why people are living in garages in Silicon Valley. What vile, stupid people.

Thank you!  

Over regulation kept even more people from dying in those fucking coal mines in your state Manchin!  People hate regulation until 20-30 people die because their boss is an asshole, then they're begging the feds to come in and fix it. 

• Love 9

The White Unitarian Scarf is back! 

She looks so pretty today, the U.S. look really serves her well.

exactly why people like me who are self-employed and can't afford to buy insurance privately now face a very uncertain and scary future -- not to mention the millions who are unemployed, under-employed or on Medicaid.

Millenium, I think Kellyanne Conway would advise you to get a job with an employer  ** sarcasm font**

• Love 2

The panel is making fun of all the leakers in the White House. Joe bragged that he has many sources that provide him with information. Scaramucchi wants to fire the leakers. The Mooch wants to be the Chief of Staff. Priebus could be out. Halperin wants a new narrative.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, WhineandCheez said:

She looks so pretty today, the U.S. look really serves her well.

Millenium, I think Kellyanne Conway would advise you to get a job with an employer  ** sarcasm font**

It's true, though.  America hates the self-employed and does everything it can, from high insurance to exorbitant taxes, to discourage entrepreneurship.  To be fair, this was happening even before Trump.

55 minutes ago, oakville said:

The Mooch wants to be the Chief of Staff. 

This was evident from day one.

• Love 2

Ya know, when a political party chooses to debate killing people...excuse me, debate how to "win" on taking away healthcare from millions...I'd kind of like more discussion about that instead of the eyerolling stinker of a Democratic slogan or all the lauding of elfin Sessions as a hero. With all of his inability to remember any meetings with Russians, I'd bet Sessions doesn't even recall 45's insults. 

Manchin - workplace and environmental safety are not politically correct nonsense. Lives get saved and all, but whatever. Also, thanks for perpetuating the myth that some people just need to get off their butts and get to work. The Dems can't be the party for urban areas? You know what? Fuck you. We work too, buddy.  And do we get to be whiny butthurt when this current alt-admin leaves US behind? Please sit down now. 

Whoa - Rep Ryan. Bright, summer picnic dad shirt, red tie and shiny tan jacket? Yeeesh - get thee to Bonobos, would ya?

Died laughing at whoever said, "tastes great, less filling" in response to the new Dem slogan.

Was embarrassed for Sen. Coons when Halperin said the laws about a president being able to fire an AG had changed and asked where Coons had gotten his facts and Coons said...uh, haven't read the statute this morning...will gladly review it.... *facepalm*. Has nobody figured out that with 45, we need to be real clear on what's allowed and what isn't. 

Kind of a fun roulette they have going with the split screen interviews of the Congress reps. I never know who's going to pop up on my screen next. First, it's Kasie. Next, it's Peters. Then, back to Halperin. Whack-a-mole, MJ style. Speaking of style, Peters found the hair gel again. Seven out of ten on poof scale. 

• Love 4

Halperin wants a new narrative.

Perfect. This is why I can't stand Beltway hacks like Halperin. It's all "narrative" and "message" for them. For the rest of us, it's our jobs and our health. This isn't a game or a story.

The National Review story is not interesting in substance - it's not news and hell, the reporter could have researched the piece by reading our gripes on this board for the past two years - but in its existence in the first place. The National Review carries the GOP's water. I suspect they're attacking Joe because he's attacking the GOP.

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Perfect. This is why I can't stand Beltway hacks like Halperin. It's all "narrative" and "message" for them. For the rest of us, it's our jobs and our health. This isn't a game or a story.

The National Review story is not interesting in substance - it's not news and hell, the reporter could have researched the piece by reading our gripes on this board for the past two years - but in its existence in the first place. The National Review carries the GOP's water. I suspect they're attacking Joe because he's attacking the GOP.

Halperin is a big fan of process stories. I think some people in the media are getting tired of the Russia issue.

Trump seems to create conflict everyday.

The transgendered in the military will be a topic for tomorrow's Morning Joe.

I liked the National Review article. It was a good summary of my complaints about Joe

Sadly, the Palace Intrigue stories about Trump drown out any  discussions about other topics.

Why can't they discuss ways to reduce drug prices?

Edited by oakville
  • Love 1
(edited)

While I appreciate John McCain's speech yesterday, as Prof Eddie said (till he got shot down by Joe), McCain should have voted no even though it wasn't a vote for the bill.

I heard a speech on the Stephanie Miller show yesterday that Ted Kennedy gave in 1978 on the floor of the senate.  He talked about his father having a stroke and his son having cancer and how because of their wealth, they were able to have the best medical available.  Most  people don't have that luxury.

I agreed with Prof Eddie and he should not have backed down.

It's nauseating that we have to hear this looser compare himself to Abe Lincoln.   It's not funny.   

Has there been any talk of Tillerson's "vacay"?  LOL

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe wants free enterprise solutions in healthcare.

That's what we had before the ACA passed.  That was when we had 50 million uninsured instead of 20 million.  That was when you couldn't buy insurance at just about any price if you had pre-existing conditions.  That was when people with two or three part time jobs STILL had no insurance through their employers and not enough means to buy it.  That was when self-employed people had to pay through the nose for insurance, if they could even afford it.  That was when insurance companies could turn you down for coverage for any reason.   That was when the uninsured clogged ER's because they couldn't afford doctor visits.  That was when sick people got sicker and died because they couldn't get health care as soon as they got sick.  That was when there were annual and lifetime caps on insurance, so if you got cancer, fuck you after you hit the caps.  That was when insurance companies could sell junk policies that covered nothing.  That was why the ACA was created and passed, so all those people could have the insurance they need to get health care but couldn't get because the "free enterprise" and "free markets" didn't actually cover them.

We have the ACA because the free market didn't work and people died.  The only reason we have the ACA instead of universal health care for everyone is becasue the Republicans in Congress wouldn't allow such a terrible, awful thing: taxpayer funded health care for everyone, just like the heath care Congress has.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 20
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Kenz said:

Great post, izabella. I wish that a Democrat in Congress would quote you verbatim in front of a camera.

The Dems are terrible at promoting the positives of the ACA, or any of their policies, really.  It doesn't help that the Republicans in Congress already KNOW all of that, but don't actually care about the people they represent.  It also doesn't help that the Republicans have chosen to lie, repeatedly, to their constituents about what the ACA does for Americans - ALL Americans, including the ones who get insurance through their employers - and why they are trying so damned hard to take their health care away. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, izabella said:

The Dems are terrible at promoting the positives of the ACA, or any of their policies, really. 

This is so true. The other day on Morning Joe, they were making fun of the Democrat's lame "A Better Deal" slogan, and Joe came up with a couple of much better slogans right away. I've always wondered why the Democratic National Committee doesn't hire the best ad agencies in the world to promote their message.(Donny Duetch would probably like to help out on that.) Democrats are in desperate need of effective branding and messaging.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 5

To quote the late great Dr Z, Joe's understanding of health Care is "stunningly superficial." He should ask that leftie dirty hippie Mitt Romney why individual mandates are crucial to any sort of universal coverage scheme. 

• Love 3

This is so true. The other day on Morning Joe, they were making fun of the Democrat's lame "A Better Deal" slogan, and Joe came up with a couple of much better slogans right away. I've always wondered why the Democratic National Committee doesn't hire the best ad agencies in the world to promote their message.(Donny Duetch would probably like to help out on that.) Democrats are in desperate need of effective branding and messaging.

Jon Favreau (former Obama speechwriter) addressed this on his pod "Pod Save America".  It's very interesting. 

I had to agree that "Make Americans First" wasn't too bad.   Or whatever it was Joe said. 

11 hours ago, oakville said:

Eddie was upset that McCain did not vote down the motion to proceed. McCain should support Obamacare.

I don't believe he was upset, I believe the word he used was "confused". His point being that Sen. McCain's vote contradicted the speech he had just delivered so eloquently. Joe's response was way overboard (though not a surprise), and I hate that Eddie didn't defend his original point when given the chance.

Joe exploded in his bunker at Eddie. Joe hates Obamacare. He wants people to have the right to buy Insurance but not be forced. Joe does not want the government to control healthcare. Joe attacked Eddie & said that McCain should not have to vote the way Eddie wants.

Eddie never said that McCain should vote the way Eddie wants, Eddie never mentioned what he wants. Joe was way out of line, and I had hoped that Eddie would be a little more assertive in his own defense.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe exploded in his bunker at Eddie. Joe hates Obamacare. He wants people to have the right to buy Insurance but not be forced. Joe does not want the government to control healthcare.

Auto insurance is mandatory. Mortgage insurance is very nearly mandatory. Why is health insurance perceived differently? Hospitals don't eat the cost of uninsured care, they pass it along by increasing costs for those who do pay. Some hospitals in Cali wanted to close a few years ago because they were continually operating at a loss while being required to provide care without compensation. The Feds told those hospitals they could not close. WTF? Most hospitals offer a 30% discount (on average) for those who pay in cash for elective services! Ergo, private market insurance adds 30% to the cost of health care! STFU, Joe. You speak for very few on this issue, from your ivory tower.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, jazzpno said:

I don't believe he was upset, I believe the word he used was "confused". His point being that Sen. McCain's vote contradicted the speech he had just delivered so eloquently. Joe's response was way overboard (though not a surprise), and I hate that Eddie didn't defend his original point when given the chance.

Eddie never said that McCain should vote the way Eddie wants, Eddie never mentioned what he wants. Joe was way out of line, and I had hoped that Eddie would be a little more assertive in his own defense.

Joe said that Eddie should stop whining about McCain's vote because McCain did not vote No. Eddie realizes that McCain is unlikely to vote No on the motion to proceed.

• Love 1

Thursday Recap. Mika is wearing a new 1960's pink flowery dress with yellow blotches over it. Joe is off. The sink  in the Bunker was clogged with hair care products & excess hair from Joe. A mandatory evacuation order was issued by the UK hair care ministry.

The new panelist used to work at the WSJ. carol Lee. Topic #1. Trump's ban on Transgender is a ruse to distract the media & give red meat to the base. Mika did not want to discuss this topic in detail.

Mika is furious about Trump trying to get Sessions out. Halperin said that Trump is cornered.. Trump cannot do a reces appointment because the Senate will never be in Recess. The GOP did this to obama when he tried to do a recess appointment . Obama lost. No recess means no recess appointments.

The Mooch is going after Priebus for leaking info about Trump. Trump likes the Mooch.

The swamp loves Sessions. Trump's base loves Sessions.

No one wants to work for Trump because loyalty is a one way street.

Mika tried to defend the asst FBI Director, McCabe  for not recusing himself on the Clinton investigations. Hillary or Mccaulife gave Mccabe's wife 700K for her campaign. There was no written agreement between the Clintons & McCabe that he would drop any investigations of Hillary in exchange for the cash.

Mika is mad at other media outlets for reporting the TransGender Band. Mika said it's a shiny penny.

I think it is a serious story that should be covered.

Mika said Washington always wins!. That's Joe's line.

Mooch tagged Priebus in a tweet! Tagging someone in a tweet is big news.

The Mooch reports directly to Trump! Priebus did not want the Mooch in the administration.

The Palace Intrigues story will probably be the entire focus of the show today. What's happening to Healthcare?

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika tried to defend the asst FBI Director, McCabe  for not recusing himself on the Clinton investigations. Hillary or Mccaulife gave Mccabe's wife 700K for her campaign. There was no written agreement between the Clintons & McCabe that he would drop any investigations of Hillary in exchange for the cash.

This story is completely false and it's shameful that MJ and so many other media outlets are repeating it. The amount McCabe's wife got was about one tenth of that and it came from a state organized Democrat committee that provided funding for all Democratic candidates. Terry McAuliffe is involved in the committee - he pretty much runs Virginia Democratic politics - and his being an old friend of the Clintons is Hillary's only connection to it. Just another right wing lie.

• Love 8