Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

Looks like another Twitter event has been scheduled - http://sleepyhollowhub.com/post/112881755841/hello-sleepy-hollow-fans-we-will-be-trending-the

We will be trending the below message during the showing of The Following on Monday:
We Miss Sleepy Hollow

(More details in the link)

Nicole deleted the InstaGram photo; I hope this hasn't gotten her into any kind of trouble. I don't think it would though considering just about every cast member has thrown some sort of shade at this point, LOL.

• Love 2

Going way out on a limb here:

Last fall, maybe August or Sept, there was an interview with CEOs of several networks. One of the questions asked was "What do you admire about a rival network?". Dana Walden said (and I quote) " Shonda Rimes owns Thursday night".

That kind of begs the question of why does Shonda Rimes own Thursday night?

The answer I have come up with is that Shonda Rimes gives her audience what they want to see on Thursday night.

Seems to me that Dana Walden wants to own her night also and will do whatever it takes to get it. She didn't get to be a
CEO of FOX by being stupid. She knows that fans were not happy about Katia/Katrina taking over from Nicole/Abbie.  Katia doing the commentary instead of Nicole and the fan anger (and the possibility of diminished DVD sales) about this has probably been pointed out to her. Let's see what she does/what happens.

• Love 2
(edited)

Great article on Fox's handling of Sleepy Hollow (NB) vs Empire (TPH) promotion.

I'm curious to hear from members here who are POC. It seems that more and more of the "quality" shows on TV are on Premium Cable or streaming services such as Netflix. I'm wondering if the standard Network shows are aiming more at a POC as an audience because of this given the "whiteness" of many of these "quality" shows--and perhaps other reasons.

From my limited exposures to the newer platforms for television, they seem to be pretty lily-white and aimed at a "white audience."  My personal suspicion is that POC are a larger percentage of TV viewers than their demographic would suggest and a high-quality show aimed at a "black audience", (whatever that might mean… and I'm not sure that I do) written by AA writers  would do extremely well. I do agree that boundaries for this sort of thing are blurred and a quality show whether actors are white or POC will attract viewers from whatever background.

What do you think?

Edited by RiddleyWalker

Great article on Fox's handling of Sleepy Hollow (NB) vs Empire (TPH) promotion.

So for 'Black' shows, the POC stars are promoted, but for 'Non-Black' shows, the white stars are promoted and the POC stars are not? So the non-promotion of Nicole, Orlando and Lyndie isn't just Goofman's bias, but is industry wide? I have no words (except a few unprintable ones).

Also, Jada Pinkett Smith isn't returning to 'Gotham'. News article on E! Online mentioned that she said she agreed to a year and the year was up. She said she had fun but "we're done". Wonder if she had issues with FOX also?

• Love 1

Fish isn't a canon character and I think the plan was always to let Penguin become a long term primary antagonist, so I can believe she only ever intended to sign for one year regardless, BUT, that show sucks anyway. She was the ONLY good part so I hope it sinks like a rock next season without her.

• Love 1

I'm curious to hear from members here who are POC. It seems that more and more of the "quality" shows on TV are on Premium Cable or streaming services such as Netflix. I'm wondering if the standard Network shows are aiming more at a POC as an audience because of this given the "whiteness" of many of these "quality" shows--and perhaps other reasons.

From my limited exposures to the newer platforms for television, they seem to be pretty lily-white and aimed at a "white audience."  My personal suspicion is that POC are a larger percentage of TV viewers than their demographic would suggest and a high-quality show aimed at a "black audience", (whatever that might mean… and I'm not sure that I do) written by AA writers  would do extremely well. I do agree that boundaries for this sort of thing are blurred and a quality show whether actors are white or POC will attract viewers from whatever background.

What do you think?

Riddley, it might be worth it to ask this in the Race/Ethnicity thread in the Everything Else section. (People can answer here too, of course.) I'm not that familiar with shows on premium cable and the new platforms.

• Love 1
(edited)

Riddley, it might be worth it to ask this in the Race/Ethnicity thread in the Everything Else section. (People can answer here too, of course.) I'm not that familiar with shows on premium cable and the new platforms.

Thanks, @Trini,

Yes, this is pretty off topic and I'm questioning why I posted it to tell the truth. The question I posed and how network television and "premium" channels interact with non-white viewers in the future is (I think) an interesting question, but I don't think there's enough data to form a reasoned opinion thus far. Probably best to drop it at this point. We'll have to see how things play out… 

Thanks for your guidance. :)

Riddley

Edited by RiddleyWalker

Voting for the Elite 8 is now open. Ichabod and Abbie are against Catherine and Vincent of Beauty and the Beast. Show your love Sleepyheads!

http://www.eonline.com/news/633485/tv-s-top-couple-tournament-2015-vote-for-your-favorite-pairing-in-the-elite-8-now

Hey, if Ichabbie can beat Caskett (admittedly a very tough battle), Vincent and Catherine are child's play! VOTE away, people! *grin* I just wish they picked a better picture though - so many more "intimate" ones they could have used. Ichabbie just look bored...

• Love 1

A to Zim: 'Sleepy Hollow' Star Orlando Jones Answers Our 26 Burning Questions
By Lani Conway on March 9, 2015
http://www.zimbio.com/A+to+Zim/articles/XWHWhp7UOwm/Zim+Sleepy+Hollow+Star+Orlando+Jones+Answers

R
Revelations you've had about the Sleepy Hollow cast:

Tom Mison raps better than Eminem. Lyndie Greenwood could be an MMA Fighter. Nicole Beharie forbids us from making eye contact with her (she's method like that but mostly because her beauty will burn off your face Raiders of the Lost Ark
style). John Noble has very soft lips. Katia Winter rivals George Clooney as a prankster.
S
Sleepyhead moment you're most proud of: 

The passion behind the #RenewSleepyHollow social media campaign.
T
Tom Mison: Hotter in costume or in real life? (It's an ongoing Zimbio debate.)

Hotter in real life, but cosplaying as Steve Zissou from The Life Aquatic.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Small bit of positive news for a possible Sleepy Hollow renewal, "The Following" fell to a series low 1.1 in the 18-49 demo for last night's episode

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/03/10/tv-ratings-monday-the-originals-jane-the-virgin-return-down-the-following-slides-to-series-low-the-night-shift-flat/373167/?utm_campaign=WP%20%3E%20Twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Considering it is only the second episode of the season, it is likely to drop more making it a likely cancellation. With "Backstrom" also pretty much certain to be canceled, it seems the next test for a SH renewal is if "Bones" is renewed for another season or not. 

Edited by vanarnd1

Is it wrong that the ratings for The Following make me happy, only because that gives hope for SH renewal. I mean, SH had some issues, but that was because of the almost universally reviled Katrina and CFD. That's done now, so bodes well for season 3. Also, if you look at the updated (as of March 10th) Cancellation Bear predictions, FOX is on shaky ground.

On top of that, apparently FOX wanted to do their own version of a show called Luther, but is delaying it until after pilot season. Apparently sounds like they are having a hard time casting their leading man.

I get hopeful, then the SH comics releases this: Sleepy Hollow - Origins One-Shot Comic Coming From Boom! Studios

The stories will focus on the history of several characters from the TV series, including Ichabod Crane, Detective Abbie Mills, Jenny Mills, Henry Parrish, and the Hessian. Fans will get to discover Abbie’s first days on the job, Jenny’s time in an institution, and how Ichabod turned his back on King and Country. They’ll also learn how Henry was born as one of the Horseman of the Apocalypse, and relive the Hessian’s life as Abraham.

Release Date: April 8th

What pisses me off is that this content should be part of the actual show, not in a comic. These are the things I want to see on screen and have these questions answered. It almost makes me think that they are just tying up loose ends. However, from the previously released comics, from what I've read and heard comments about, the comics do a really good job of fleshing out things the show doesn't, and tends to be very shippy with Ichabbie. So there is a disconnect there, but still angers me. This should be in the show.

• Love 2

It makes me happy that the Following ratings crash because what a stupid show .  Okay I know I watch shows that some have given up on or think is terrible like Supernatural and Arrow and SH.  But I do think there are redeeming qualities to each show in the acting if nothing else for the most part and they are fun on some level.

Anyway sorry to any Following viewers if I offended I just want that show to go away so another better show can take it's place. 

Is it wrong that the ratings for The Following make me happy, only because that gives hope for SH renewal. I mean, SH had some issues, but that was because of the almost universally reviled Katrina and CFD. That's done now, so bodes well for season 3. Also, if you look at the updated (as of March 10th) Cancellation Bear predictions, FOX is on shaky ground.

On top of that, apparently FOX wanted to do their own version of a show called Luther, but is delaying it until after pilot season. Apparently sounds like they are having a hard time casting their leading man.

I get hopeful, then the SH comics releases this: Sleepy Hollow - Origins One-Shot Comic Coming From Boom! Studios

What pisses me off is that this content should be part of the actual show, not in a comic. These are the things I want to see on screen and have these questions answered. It almost makes me think that they are just tying up loose ends. However, from the previously released comics, from what I've read and heard comments about, the comics do a really good job of fleshing out things the show doesn't, and tends to be very shippy with Ichabbie. So there is a disconnect there, but still angers me. This should be in the show.

I'm having the same problem with Arrow right now.  I feel like putting things in the comics gives them an out on whether it's considered truly canonical or not and it's just annoying in general. 

I just read that press release. I think this new comic is done by different people than the first series.

I have the first series and you're right, they have a good storyline that follows through the entire series and fleshes out the characters enough. I think they're very shippery (is that a word?) as well. I think they were written by someone who really liked the first season. There is no CFD to be found really. 

i should add, I'm not an avid comic reader so I don't know how these hold up against other series but I enjoyed them.

I just read that press release. I think this new comic is done by different people than the first series.

I have the first series and you're right, they have a good storyline that follows through the entire series and fleshes out the characters enough. I think they're very shippery (is that a word?) as well. I think they were written by someone who really liked the first season. There is no CFD to be found really. 

i should add, I'm not an avid comic reader so I don't know how these hold up against other series but I enjoyed them.

I'm not knocking comics at all, but how messed up is it that the writers of the comics have done a vastly superior job than the idiots who wrote the show. The comics in this case should be a supplement to the show, since the show came first. (unlike say the Walking Dead or Arrow, which is based on the comics). But still. Fox needs to clean house, get rid of Goffman and co, and hire the comic writers as show writers. They would do an excellent job, from what you and others have said.

I guess I'm just bitter that the great stories told in the comics could have been realized on screen, if it wasn't for Goffman and his Katrina love. *SMH*

• Love 1

I'm not knocking comics at all, but how messed up is it that the writers of the comics have done a vastly superior job than the idiots who wrote the show. The comics in this case should be a supplement to the show, since the show came first. (unlike say the Walking Dead or Arrow, which is based on the comics). But still. Fox needs to clean house, get rid of Goffman and co, and hire the comic writers as show writers. They would do an excellent job, from what you and others have said.

I guess I'm just bitter that the great stories told in the comics could have been realized on screen, if it wasn't for Goffman and his Katrina love. *SMH*

Oh, I didn't think you were knocking them. I agree with you actually.

I don't have any hope for this next comic anyway. The focus will be on the backstories but we already know the main motivation for Henry, Ichabod and Headless is Katrina so no thanks. Especially since it's supposed to be within show canon. 

Voting for the Elite 8 is now open. Ichabod and Abbie are against Catherine and Vincent of Beauty and the Beast. Show your love Sleepyheads!

http://www.eonline.com/news/633485/tv-s-top-couple-tournament-2015-vote-for-your-favorite-pairing-in-the-elite-8-now

The comments on that poll are hilarious. There are whispers of alliances. I've just been voting for ichabod/Abbie but now I feel like I should be using some kind of strategy. 

Edited by archiesmom
  • Love 1

I haven't been following the poll, but that is not NBs best photo. There's got to be a million where she looks fantastic, and they use that? Someone is throwin' serious shade her way.

ETA: and they can bite me.

Edited by DeLurker

I figured that's what broke PTV this evening! *grin* Ladies and gentlemen, start your squeeing.

Personally I think it's a sign of good faith, both that Fox wants to bring Sleepy Hollow back as well as that they want it to work this time when they do.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 3

I am not gonna lie.  The news about Goffmann being gone plus the dismal second episode numbers for The Following and I am letting my hopes go up a bit.

But seriously.... how does this guy keep getting jobs?  At least is is on CBS.  I never watch that network.  LOL.

• Love 2

That's how Hollywood works, though. Every single network bigwig has been hired and fired about 10 times; some shows have had a different show runner every season. You've got to fuck up pretty bad to be untouchable. Hell, people still want to work with Roman Polanski.

• Love 4

I'll be doubly pissed if Gofman goes on to greener pastures and  Sleepy Hollow isn't renewed. He's basically getting rewarded for ruining a hit show.

He is, but I never doubted he would be. I'm hopeful for a S3, but I don't know if he ruined the show beyond recovery (ratings-wise).

Anyway... Good riddance!

• Love 2

SECOND BEST NEWS EVER (Season 3 renewal will be first!!)

YES!! Very happy about this. There is hope, I believe. Why bother announcing a showrunner leaving if the show will just be cancelled anyway. If it's cancelled, you can just let the writers/showrunner et all move onto their next projects. The fact that they announced it gives me hope.

For all we know, he quit too. All he cared about was Katrina/Katia, so now that she's gone, there is no incentive or interest for him to stay, but this screams of corporate speak to me  i.e. <Person> has "stepped down" to pursue "other opportunities" when you know they were kicked to the curb.

This is excellent news. Is it possible that season 3 will have NO Katrina, No CFD, No Goffman and the four core favourite (Crane/Abbie/Irving/Jenny) still around. It's like a dream!!

• Love 5

Just going to focus on the good part of the news...

Hit the road jack, and don't you come back no more no more no more no more...

This means there has to be a season three right? They need to stop letting everyone twist in the wind, and freaking confirm it. They wouldn't have bothered firing Goffman if they were just going to end the show anyway, right?

• Love 7

Yeah, I'm being a negative nelly, but this stupid fandom does that. This is all positive news, along with The Following not doing as well in the ratings, season 3 has a chance to really shine.

Bring on the renewal!!

ETA: The comments in the SpoilerTV link are interesting. Of course we get those of us cheering and going yeah! Some comments are like "by getting rid of the showrunner", it's a sign the network has some confidence in the show season 3 (get rid of the weak links, confidence in moving in a new direction) and of course those bemoaning his leaving and of course that season 2 was great. Yeah.

So let's see:

Henry gone - Check

Katrina gone - Check

CFD done - Check

Irving alive - Check

Jenny alive - Check

Goffman gone - Check

Season 3 - TBD

• Love 5

This is such good news!

I'm guessing his first big pitch to CBS will be for a new show starring his muse. He'll probably have power points  *looks good in a corset* *plays dual roles*  *powerful witch* *clever spy* *ability to look beautiful while carrying a katana* 

Seriously though, I think this is positive news regarding a season 3. 

So, that's one crappy showrunner gone, but there are still more plaguing our TV screens. Lets grab our torches and pitchforks, and get this party started! 

For real though, this all seems like good news. They are course correcting at breakneck speed, and I am going along for the ride. I am cautiously optimistic. 

• Love 1

Someone on their tumblr pointed out a very good point: deals like the CBS one don't happen overnight. It takes time to find, negotiate and agree to it. I bet that when FOX stepped in around November and starting course correcting, Goffman realized the writing was on the wall. Coupled with the loss of his muse, I bet he decided to move onto "greener" pastures, as he knew there was no place for him at FOX. On top of that, having FOX come in and force changes can be a major shot to some people's egos.

Cross fingers that Season 3 will happen.

• Love 4

Does this mean I can watch the rest of season 2 with the knowledge that it will get better? I suffered too much from Katrina and Hawley related boredom to make it past the first ten or so episodes.

If Goffman and his favourites are gone, then the show has to be looking up for the third season. I tuned in to the first episode out of curiosity, and I stayed for Abbie Mills. If she gets to move back into the limelight, I'm back on board.

• Love 2

Does this mean I can watch the rest of season 2 with the knowledge that it will get better? I suffered too much from Katrina and Hawley related boredom to make it past the first ten or so episodes.

If Goffman and his favourites are gone, then the show has to be looking up for the third season. I tuned in to the first episode out of curiosity, and I stayed for Abbie Mills. If she gets to move back into the limelight, I'm back on board.

The last two episodes are great, especially Tempus Fugit. That was (to me) hands down the best of the series, and I love the pilot.

Another thing to consider. Goffman didn't move onto something else within FOX. He went to another network. If the show was cancelled, he could have moved onto something else within the org. So it's promising that he left/was forced to leave FOX and went elsewhere.

• Love 3

So you sink a show and drive it to near cancellation, and you get rewarded with a development deal.

Hollywood is a cesspool. 

Apparently Goffman "knows" people, has connections. So as with every other BS corporate environment, being a good worker is pointless. It's who you know. *sigh*

• Love 3

Hey everyone,

We've started a thread specific to ratings, scheduling and renewal talk. Let's take all conversation about those topics over there and leave this thread specific to other mentions in the media.

He is, but I never doubted he would be. I'm hopeful for a S3, but I don't know if he ruined the show beyond recovery (ratings-wise).

Anyway... Good riddance!

My issue is Goffman shouldn't br the only one gone. His core group of writers should be gone as well because as long as they are still around, the anti-POC agenda will continue to creep into the storylines.

And my high is over....

Mark Goffman signs two year deal with CBS to supervise and develop new projects. The bad ones are always rewarded. And he knew the writing was on the wall....

Like I said - Katrina is gone, therefore his muse is gone. I would put money on Katia Winter headlining some of these projects....

Oh she who plays Struggle Witch is dancing a jig right now because she know employment is coming her way.

• Love 2