Type keyword(s) to search

Pretty Little Liars in the Media

Still the best one of the four.  As an aside, I've always looked at PLL as Aria's, Hanna's, Spencer's, and Emily's story, not Alison's.  I wonder if the writers are going to focus equally on Alison post-timeskip or she's still going to be what the girls react to.

‘Pretty Little Liars’ Will End After Season 7, Says Creator

“I think that this story when we’re back will end next year at the at end of Season 7,” King told Variety this week when asked if the time jump gives the series more legs to continue. Then asked, “So you definitely want it to end at the end of Season 7, and don’t want it to go beyond that?” King replied: “Correct.”

Despite King’s statement, ABC Family has not announced any formal plans for Season 7 to be the last, and has not made any decisions beyond that.

Yes, left to right: Troian, Shay, Ian, Lucy, Ashley.

Shay's dress is similar to the one Ashley is wearing in the new promos where the girls are carrying the coffin. The neckline is different but they both have that high cut leg with the bondage straps.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I am shocked to my very core that Ashley and Shay wore dresses with such high necklines. Talk about a contrast with how their characters have been dressing in the show for the last several seasons.

Troian looks like she really wishes she were some place else. Can't say I blame her.

Also, how can this show still be winning awards best drama of any kind!?!?!?!?!

I am shocked to my very core that Ashley and Shay wore dresses with such high necklines. Talk about a contrast with how their characters have been dressing in the show for the last several seasons.

Fashion rule: Legs or cleavage. Never both. Or so they say. 

Also, how can this show still be winning awards best drama of any kind!?!?!?!?!

Well, it's a People's Choice award... it's all about who has the most rabid online fanbase and who's willing to show up that night. 

Fashion rule: Legs or cleavage. Never both. Or so they say.

One of the many fashion rules that PLL has broken. Repeatedly.

Speaking of costumes, apparently Mandi Line will no longer be the costume designer. That's too bad, snarking on her creations or enjoying them when they happened to be hits instead of misses was one of the things I really enjoyed about PLL.

Well, it's a People's Choice award...

I know but isn't there another show that can win over PLL's target audience after the dismal last three seasons?

Edited by Jack Shaftoe

Ha I wish I could have seen the job posting to replace her:

Costume designer for teen show on a teen network for actresses who are not teenagers. Must love feathers and insane clothes that no one would actually wear.

I agree that the clothes are one of the fun things about this show, whether they're fabulous or WTF. I hope the new person is up for the challenge. Aria needs her crazy wardrobe even if it's only to distract me from the plotholes!

"The writers have us drinking in almost every scene to show that we are, you know, age appropriate" - seriously? They couldn't figure another way to show that? Like, I don't know, the Liars not behaving total idiots for a change?

The more I hear how more maturely the characters are going to behave, the more I think they are going to act even more stupidly than before. Either that or they will make the same mistakes as before but will drink more, have more sex and start taking drugs - that's the essence of maturity, right?

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2

The funny thing is, the characters are now much closer to the actresses ages but seem more like teenage girls trying to pretend they are grown up. So weird.

Not excited about the storyline but it will be interesting to see how badly the writers have messed up the five year jump.

• Love 1

In this interview, Lucy says two things of note: (1) that she thinks the girls hadn't seen each other during the five year gap and (2) as far as she and Sasha know, this season is the end of their characters.

This interview with all five girls had two interesting tidbits. The interviewer asked Ashley which character she would bring back from the dead and she said Jessica. Sasha said her engagement was in Temecula (wine country in southern California) which helps explain how she wouldn't have noticed the photographer even though it looks really isolated.

The two best things in this interview are the fan created flow chart and the video of Ashley dancing for Shay on her birthday:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I heavily doubt that Marlene King would get rid of Aria and Alison. They bring a disproportionate amount of the show's viewers. And Alison's story is the heart of PLL.

I agree. I think the answer is out of context. Lucy Hale was mumbling but around the 0:30 mark she says 'end seven seasons...but we will go out with a bang." From what I gather, the show has a guaranteed seven season run. After that, they might kick off another spinoff or repackage the series with a new group of kids a la Skins/Degrassi/etc.

After that, they might kick off another spinoff or repackage the series with a new group of kids a la Skins/Degrassi/etc.

That would be interesting to see but I don't think that PLL is the type of the show that can be done again and again with a different group of four girls.  Wasn't there noise about Freeform adapting The Perfectionists as a TV show?

considering the seemingly large percentage of fans who sight the girls' relationship as their favorite thing about the show, and in some cases the only thing they like anymore, I don't know that PLL could thrive with a new cast. I wouldn't be against trying it and seeing what happens. Hey, it's not my money. lol

I'd much rather a spin off. Something like Hanna and Spencer opening a detective agency with Caleb as their tech guy. It could be fun watching Spencer accuse random people on the street of the murder of the week while Hanna tries to talk her down. Aria can make appearances so long as she doesn't bring Ezra, talk about Ezra, acknowledge that Ezra ever existed and if Emily somehow manages to survive this show (I feel like, if any of them die it's going to be her because she seems to get all the crap heaped on her) she can be their receptionist. Jason, Mona, Jenna and Noel Kahn all have to make appearances if they aren't co-stars.

I'm pretty sure that once Troian gets out, she's out.

I can't see any of them sticking around honestly. Troian and Ashley seem to be itching to do movies, Lucy has her music and other projects, and Shay seems to be branding herself as more than an actress.

The only one I could see being willing to stay is Sasha because it probably doesn't feel as tedious to her since she wasn't around as much for the first 4 season and she's young enough that she might not be worried about losing out on other opportunities yet. Maybe they'll do PLL The New Class and the new group of girls being stalked can be Alison's students. 

That would be interesting to see but I don't think that PLL is the type of the show that can be done again and again with a different group of four girls.  Wasn't there noise about Freeform adapting The Perfectionists as a TV show?

I can't see any of them sticking around honestly. Troian and Ashley seem to be itching to do movies, Lucy has her music and other projects, and Shay seems to be branding herself as more than an actress.

The only one I could see being willing to stay is Sasha because it probably doesn't feel as tedious to her since she wasn't around as much for the first 4 season and she's young enough that she might not be worried about losing out on other opportunities yet. Maybe they'll do PLL The New Class and the new group of girls being stalked can be Alison's students. 

I was only paraphrasing what Lucy and Sasha were alluding to. Personally I don't think it's a good idea. If they wanted to go that route, they would have introduced at least one younger girl to carry the torch. You can't rebrand seven seasons plus a time jump into something else with a whole new cast.

But I say that now and the studio is salivating over IMK like she invented television. After the criticism she has received over the years, I honestly thought they would have canned her ages ago but she's miraculously still around. I wouldn't be surprised if she reboots the series with Alison's students. That's actually the only way I can imagine this would work, but I think it should still be a new series.

Hopefully they leave it alone and let it rest. Give the showrunners a chance to learn from their mistakes and start with a blank slate.

• Love 1

This is tangentially related to PLL at best, but I thought it was hilarious this Tonight Show clip of a couple of NFL players portraying Alison and Spencer. I recognize the scene they're doing, it's from the pilot.

Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been better suited to play Toby, that was some wooden line delivery. The other guy wasn't so bad.

Well the show is still slaying in ratings compared to the rest of the network so I can see how mArlene remains sure of herself. It's like how the GoT writers despite having clearly the worst season yet got rewarded with a bunch of Emmys for the first time so they probably think the criticism is unwarranted.

I thought the built-in fans for Shadowhunters could make that a hit, but by week 2 it can't even hold half of Pretty Little Liars' viewers in the demo, so.

• Love 2
I thought the built-in fans for Shadowhunters could make that a hit, but by week 2 it can't even hold half of Pretty Little Liars' viewers in the demo, so.

I was ready to get into the bandwagon even if I wasn't crazy about either the first book or the movie. I expected okay-ish fantasy + pretty people in a very pretty show at ABC Family/Freeform so sign me up right? Maybe a so bad it's good sort of guilty pleasure. I've seen tons of stuff from this channel even if in passing and they all have this distinct look so I thought I knew what I could expect. What I got was "so bad it's been a week and I still can't believe how bad it was".

I mean the first novel is the only one I read and it was just okay but miles better than the pll books (imo) so I'm on the opinion MK might have bribed the whole team behind the mess that is Shadowhunters. I never seen such a complete fail from top to bottom and I sat through all the twilight movies. I'll be very shocked if it gets all the way to midseason let alone gets renewed. MK's reign will be long still.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley

Wait, THAT'S why everyone was packing wavy lightsabers instead of seraph blades and the lead role of Jace went to someone with the acting chops of a wet Toby?

I mean, the movie sucked for different reasons, mainly the freakin plot. But damn, okay then, makes sense. Ugh. 

Is it THAT hard to make a watchable YA book adaptation these days? Even CW is managing it with at least passing frequency. There is no reason anything should look that ugly. 

Is ABC FamilyForm casting from some new, shitbin of an agency recently? Because it seems like the last few years have been awful for them, for new shows and for new additions to the old ones. Like they aren't even trying any more; everything looks like crap and the actors are straight out of Reality Show Audition Tape Trash Bin Leftover Pile #3.

• Love 1

Loved those videos. Kind of surprised this is the first time anyone has thought to give them a lie detector test. Some of their responses were really funny. Troian stumbling over the "do you think you're smarter than the rest of us?" question was hilarious. They all seemed genuinely nervous, except maybe Shay.

• Love 1