Type keyword(s) to search

Pretty Little Liars in the Media

I think she said she calls him "Ossifer Toby," which made me laugh. I will never get tired of hearing her talk about her issues with the Ezria and Spoby relationships. I also wasn't surprised to hear that she loves the recent Spencer/Hanna team-ups as much as I do!

That was a great interview. I love how much she remembers about the show. Often when you listen to interviews with actors, it's like they've forgotten everything that happened on their show two seasons ago, but these guys only have to say the season number to Troian and she knows exactly which arc they're talking about, the episode titles, and often the writer and director of a specific episode. That's impressive for a normal show; it's even more impressive with a complicated one like this.

Honestly, Troian should really think about becoming a showrunner like her dad. I bet she'd be good at it. She for sure would have basic continuity mapped out.

• Love 7

I really want to see Troian in another show after PLL, not just in movies. And if she gets involved with more aspects of it than just acting, all the better.

• Love 3

Honestly, Troian should really think about becoming a showrunner like her dad. I bet she'd be good at it. She for sure would have basic continuity mapped out.

She certainly "gets" and demonstrates a far greater understanding of what does and doesn't work than the actual showrunners have.

• Love 3
(edited)
She certainly "gets" and demonstrates a far greater understanding of what does and doesn't work than the actual showrunners have.

I wish she could have been allowed and/or would have been interested in working as a producer on PLL. i'm sure the time has passed for that, but I believe she could have done a lot of good for the show. I don't know if this is the thread for it, but since we're on the topic, I found it fascinating to hear not only her opinion on various storylines but also to glimpse a bit of what's Troian's relationship with the show. You can tell she has an intense love/hate relationship with it. She's not dismissive of it by any means, but it's obvious there are many aspects of it that frustrate her. Being limited creatively apparently being the major one. It must royally suck not being able to addition for other roles because the pll schedule is so insane.

Also, for the ones who heard the entire podcast, is it just me or was she seriously hitting at Spoby being doomed or wanting Spencer to end the relationship but not being quite there yet? She started and ended the podcast talking along very similar lines, about wanting Spencer to let go of something that worked in the past and doesn't work anymore. My mind goes straight to Spoby because that's exactly how I see their relationship.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 4

Is he really 37? I've never seen his age listed anywhere. I figured he was in his late 20s. He comes across as pretty immature on social media. 

I actually think fans might be overreacting a bit to his post though simply because they don't like that his character dated Alison. As immature as the post might have been, I don't think he's talking about Sasha. I think he might be either making an in character joke about Lorenzo and Alison, which would be sexist and stupid but not disrespectful to Sasha, or he's just sharing the photo edit because he thinks it's funny and the "you know who you are" might be meant for someone he knows in his personal life. I don't know... I see some fans saying he should be fired because he's being disrespectful to Sasha and making her uncomfortable by sexualizing her and whatnot, but I don't think that's what he's doing. 

And Sasha's boyfriend and friend shouldn't get involved in this kind of stuff because it looks like they're speaking for her and we don't actually know what she thinks of it and she has to potentially work with him in the future. She and Travis have posted a few pics to instagram while they were filming and seemed to get along well so I don't think she really has any problem with him. 

• Love 3

At first i thought it was overblown as well and was rolling my eyes at emison fans as usual (yes I ship them but my goodness the tweens on twitter are the worst) but I'm sorry the guy seems like an attention whore and extreamly immature, his comments to fans is egging them on and he knows how crazy they are. Looking at the way he handled this whole thing he seems like a child, in any situation if "celebraties" "offend" just apologize and move on, instead he just keeps going with his post about not caring what the fans think, yeah that's not going to do him any favors and it's just going to give more attention to this whole thing cuz now the have what's her name (the chick who does spoilers on E!) involved and apprently someone who works for the show favored Sasha's boyfriend tweets

It was highly entertaining though lol

• Love 1

Oh yeah, Travis is definitely acting like an immature jerk and he's only making matters worse, but I don't think he meant it the way certain fans are taking it. But making it into this big deal and getting Sasha's boyfriend and friend involved was way too much... now it's this big thing that Sasha might have to eventually comment on which is just going to make things awkward. I just feel so much second hand embarrassment for everyone involved at this point and just hope it doesn't go any further. 

Honestly, SaideT, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt with the joke if Sasha's friend and boyfriend didn't comment. I'd imagine that neither would have commented if his comments were okay. 

• Love 1

So far all I read was the initial tweet. Is that supposed to be highly offensive? Because please never read my Twitter, then. Shippers are really annoying with the bandwagon hatred.

Why is this guy 37 though, for serious? Was Hollywood out of under-30 unemployed shitty male actors that day?

• Love 3

The real problem is that the writers continually present these inappropriate relationships as romantic. An actor making a tasteless joke about his bit character on a teen soap is nothing by comparison.

• Love 1

Holy Cow.

Aaaand someone is probably getting fired.

I'm agreeing with those who said there was an overraction to the tweet. At least iniciatially. I myself wouldn't have glanced at it twice. That said, if both Sasha's boyfriend and best friend saw to respond that the tumblr fans aren't that out of line, imo, and it's likely Sasha herself was uncomfortable. Even some members from the crew of PLL apparently have favorited some of tweets from Sasha's boyfriend. The entire thing was overblown, yes, but just not by the fans. And some of it was thanks to how Travis chose to react to the entire thing.

So with all that said, I'm finding very hard to believe this guy is 37 years old. He's an actor, a public figure and has no sense on how to portray himself in a professional manner. I find it ironic he started the post above with "Silly children" because that's exactly how he comes off, imo.  And the fact of the matter is, he's probably talking to children and that's not how you talk to children. Besides, he basically did the equivalent of yelling at the client with that response.

I don't think he'll be around long. I doubt MK will want to associate further with this guy. Now matter how cheap he probably is to have been hired to play a twenty year old.

It was highly entertaining though lol

Hahahaha, it is indeed!

• Love 2

Honestly, SaideT, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt with the joke if Sasha's friend and boyfriend didn't comment. I'd imagine that neither would have commented if his comments were okay.

I don't know if I'd necessarily take their involvement as proof of Sasha having a problem. The handful of fans who got upset relentlessly tweeted both her friend and boyfriend demanding they do something and basically goaded them into responding. Unless Sasha says something herself, I'm hesitant to take her friend's and boyfriend's opinions as her own.

I do think Travis is acting like an immature jerk though and intentionly provoking young fans for the attention, so regardless of how he originally meant it, he's taken things too far. But the fans shouldn't have gotten Sasha's boyfriend and friend involved.

ETA: Yikes didn't see his response before I posted...he should have stayed quiet. I suspected all along that the original post had nothing to do with Sasha and was instead meant for someone he knew in his personal life, but why didn't he just say that right away? Instead of getting the fans all riled up and then calling them "slow" and childish? He and Sasha did seem to have a good relationship based on pics and social media but now I wonder what's going to happen in the future because things certainly got out of hand quick.

But seriously, this guy is really 37? I'm finding that hard to believe based on how he acts.

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 1

I'm not sure they will need to fire him though. They've already finished filming #SummerofAnswers and I doubt his character was important enough to make it past the time jump (and that's assuming he doesn't get killed along with Clark, Lesli, and the other useless tertiary characters by the summer finale), so he was probably already done with the show before any of this happened. Doesn't excuse his tone deaf response though. Alienating teen fans is not the brightest idea.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Heh, well Marlene just tweeted in support of Travis so she and probably others on the show are aware and he's not going anywhere. I don't know why some fans even assumed his post was about Sasha in the first place. She wasn't tagged, mentioned or pictured in the photo. It was just one his many stupid sexist jokes and then when the fans got upset he doubled down on his idiotic behavior. But go through his instagram and twitter and you'll find plenty of bro-tastic crap like that. More troubling than that one particular post is that he seems to have a pattern of sexist and homophobic behavior. Someone on tumblr posted this inteview with him from a few years ago and it's pretty gross. He basically says having to kiss a man for a role he played was disgusting and that it was something he had to suffer through as an actor. So there's plenty of reason to dislike the guy, but disrespecting Sasha isn't one. 

And not sure if this actually a spoiler because the info is out there for anyone to see, but just to be safe... 

He is still around after the time jump. There's plenty of photos on social media of him on set as recent as episode 6.14, which is the episode they're currently filming I believe. Lorenzo appears to have been promoted to detective because he's not in uniform. I don't know if he's around in relation to Alison though, he might just be appearing as Toby's partner. Sara Harvey is also still around according to BTS pics from the cast and comments from the actress herself. In fact, it looks like we might get more Sara and Lorenzo than Alison since Sasha hasn't been spotted much.

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 1

Marlene called him a Rosewood's finest. That's one backhanded compliment if I've heard one lol. And yup, I'm also aware of the spoiler thing. GAH! It's completely revolting to have this guy associated with the show. Despite the fact it has so many problematic characters, the entire cast and crew has always been absolutely lovely...until now. If they need Lorenzo for some reason, couldn't they just recast? I'm not serious...not entirely serious, anyway.

But I trust MK knows what she's doing, whatever it is. This show is clearly her baby, no one cares more than her.

• Love 1

Dude who played Lorenzo made a really sexist meme using Sasha's picture (as Ali)

Fans and Sasha's Boyfriend and Friend didn't like it. 

Dude who played Lorenzo didn't apologize, and proceeded to call fans stupid.

As it turns out, Lorenzo has posted plenty of sexist and homophobic jokes around social media. (He's also 37, which is kind of grossing me out more than anything..)

Marlene posted about him..we aren't sure whether it was in support or disgust because she called him "Rosewood's finest." 

That's basically it. 

• Love 1

Dude who played Lorenzo made a really sexist meme using Sasha's picture (as Ali)

Fans and Sasha's Boyfriend and Friend didn't like it.

Dude who played Lorenzo didn't apologize, and proceeded to call fans stupid.

As it turns out, Lorenzo has posted plenty of sexist and homophobic jokes around social media. (He's also 37, which is kind of grossing me out more than anything..)

Marlene posted about him..we aren't sure whether it was in support or disgust because she called him "Rosewood's finest."

That's basically it.

Wait, was the picture a picture of Ali, or just of Lorenzo? I thought it was just of him saying the "you made me soup" line. Was there more there?

I also didn't think it was particularly sexist, I saw it as him making a joke about how easy he is to please, presumably to his significant other.

• Love 2

I saw his original post, looked at it and scrolled past it. If he were any other random guy and he hadn't gotten the responses from Sashas friends and all those super fans it really wouldn't have been a big deal. Personally I didn't think it was that sexist. It's not necessarily funny either, but PLL fans are definitively intense.

• Love 2

If he had just ignored what was being said about his original post or would have clarified to Giana and/or Hudson: it's about a girl I'm dating, so we're clear. This would have blown over in 2 seconds. But nope. He proceeded to engage the fandom in a ridiculously hostile way to the point I'm left wondering if the fans' supposed misinterpretation of his first post wasn't right on. Imo, the way he has behaved through this entire thing is way worst than anything his first post might have meant.

BTW, MK removed her post about Travis being Rosewood's finest and Travis has deleted all his gross posts and made an apology to the fans. Whatevs. Meanwhile, Sasha...

Thankfully, we've got a new episode tonight otherwise we'd have to look elsewhere for more entertainment.

The whole thing was a non-issue that was first blown out of portion by a small group of fans and then Travis made the situation 100x worse by responding like an immature jerk. It also didn't help that Sasha's friend and boyfriend took the bait and got involved, but I blame the fans for even bringing it to their attention.

I do wonder if Travis got himself into trouble and received a bit of a talking-to considering he did a complete 180, deleted everything and posted that he loves everyone after Marlene was made aware of the situation. 

Despite the intention of his original post, dude's a PR nightmare. You don't see the actress who plays Sara responding to the hate she gets and calling fans "childish" and "slow". Like cuddlingcrowley said, his best bet was to either ignore it completely or just post a simple clarification that it was a joke meant for someone he's seeing and not respond any further. Instead he just kept getting deeper and deeper into it.  

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 2
I do wonder if Travis got himself into trouble and received a bit of a talking-to considering he did a complete 180, deleted everything and posted that he loves everyone after Marlene was made aware of the situation.

I very much doubt he would have done it on his own accord, otherwise. Heck, I very much doubt it he did it at all. It's most likely a PR person took over his account and made that post. 

On another note, there's some news about the possibility of s7 not being the last season. Oh.

I don't even know how to feel. This show has been with me through so much. I went from a kid to an adult watching this show. I binge watch everything else, but this one is the one I watch live and actually am active part of the fandom here with you guys so when it ends it will feel like a big loss. So there's a part of me that's happy to hear that, i'm not gonna lie.

• Love 2

On another note, there's some news about the possibility of s7 not being the last season. Oh.

I don't even know how to feel. This show has been with me through so much. I went from a kid to an adult watching this show. I binge watch everything else, but this one is the one I watch live and actually am active part of the fandom here with you guys so when it ends it will feel like a big loss. So there's a part of me that's happy to hear that, i'm not gonna lie.

I feel a little conflicted too. On one hand, when you love a show you want it to go out on top and not over stay its welcome and become terrible. But PLL was never really “on top”. It’s always been a ridiculous convoluted mess, but that’s sort of the fun of it. Plus I really like the characters and the cast. No matter what they're always fun to watch for me so I'd probably continue to watch no matter how bad it gets because I like seeing what the girls get up to. But then again, I'm a Glee fandom refuge so I know a bit about sticking with a show to the bitter bitter end. 

• Love 1

I'll believe it when I see it. Pretty much because I get the inkling that Ashley and Troian would love to move on and do something else. And I think all their contracts run out after season 7. So I bet they'd only sign on for more if they got some biiiig bags of money thrown at them.

• Love 1

But PLL has been on top for ABC Family for years now. 

Not Glee at all, which was a bottom feeder for its last few years, and I'm pretty sure Idol prevented it from being Fox's top show in the earlier years.

Edited by jjjmoss

Kariyaki, my mind went straight to Troian when I read the news, as well. Ashley Benson and Lucy Hale as well. Unfortunately, I don't I think losing only Spencer is a deal breaker to keep the show going, as central she is. Losing more than one girl on the other hand...

And yes, I still genuinely love this show and while ideally it would had had a 5 season run and wrapped while it was at its best and without half of the fillers we've gotten and with the entire cast still around.... as it is, with the terrible new guest starts, the endless fillers and the not so great narrative choices here and there, I'm still sticking around to the end. And I'll probably have a great time at it. 

• Love 3

I want it to end after season 7.

However, I would not be opposed to a spinoff. Whether it's Troian and Caleb having a detective agency...(The Prequel to Special Victims Unit), the PLL Moms...something of that sort.

Losing even one girl would be rough, because the central theme is the four girls together. 

• Love 1

Troian is visibly over this show.  Watching Spencer is my favorite thing about the show because you can tell that Troian is constantly asking herself how and why she got herself into this mess.  Her interviews give the same vibe, I'm surprised she gets away with a lot of the stuff she says.  I think they'd have to do a lot to keep her.  A movie maybe, but definitely not a full season.

• Love 3

I very much doubt he would have done it on his own accord, otherwise. Heck, I very much doubt it he did it at all. It's most likely a PR person took over his account and made that post. 

Agreed.  The complete 180 screams "agent/manager/pr person gave him stern lecture about how you don't use social media to belittle fans of the project that us providing you money and exposure and if you ever want to work in this town again, you'll delete that and post this..."  As for the picture - i wanna see that other hand which i'm guessing instead of a peace sign has crossed fingers.

As per more PLL after S7, reserving judgement til i see what kind of storyline they're going for with 6B onward, but my initial thought is i might be more onboard if it was a kind of "supplemental material project" like how the books had two companion books - one going back to "2nd A" studying each girl as she prepares to take over from Mona's A and telling stories that took place between books #4 & #5 and another book giving Ali's backstory.  Something that goes back and fills in gaps from any point of the storyline like "A's point of view" or the beginning of the NAT club or what have you, i'd be nailing down my advance ticket! 

ETA:  ...or if S8 or a movie is Tipsy Little Moms...

Edited by dwmckim
  • Love 2

This is probably going to be more passionate than it should be, and will probably lose me some e-friends. Whatever, I have a cold so my judgment is currently lacking. And I wish I hadn't read the comments in response to the statement, because that's always a mistake.

Travis posted a joking message to his SO about how he's easy to please. In response, people told him he is a monster, that he should be killed, that black men are monstrous, that he should kill himself. Then Sasha's friends came along and lent legitimacy to these comments.

I would not have responded in the manner Travis did. And I'd have hated myself for that. I should not need to explain why, especially recently, it is troubling that a POC actor would be called a monster based on his skin color and that people want him dead. Sasha's boyfriend should be particularly ashamed of himself, but he probably isn't. And now, Travis has probably been forced by his employer to recant because the fans are everything and should feel free to threaten black actors with death. If I were him, I'd seriously be considering moving on, but the mental calculus of a steady paycheck would weigh heavily in favor of gritting my teeth and soldiering on. As has been said, he is 37, and this is not the first time he's had to deal with racism.

I'm not calling out any of you, because it's entirely possible that Travis shouldn't receive the benefit of the doubt, and these issues are not readily apparent. It's just...I can see myself wanting to respond in the same manner and talking myself out of it, so I'm not going to cast stones at him for going ahead and saying it.

• Love 4
 This is probably going to be more passionate than it should be, and will probably lose me some e-friends. Whatever, I have a cold so my judgment is currently lacking. And I wish I hadn't read the comments in response to the statement, because that's always a mistake. Travis posted a joking message to his SO about how he's easy to please. In response, people told him he is a monster, that he should be killed, that black men are monstrous, that he should kill himself. Then Sasha's friends came along and lent legitimacy to these comments.I would not have responded in the manner Travis did. And I'd have hated myself for that. I should not need to explain why, especially recently, it is troubling that a POC actor would be called a monster based on his skin color and that people want him dead. Sasha's boyfriend should be particularly ashamed of himself, but he probably isn't. And now, Travis has probably been forced by his employer to recant because the fans are everything and should feel free to threaten black actors with death. If I were him, I'd seriously be considering moving on, but the mental calculus of a steady paycheck would weigh heavily in favor of gritting my teeth and soldiering on. As has been said, he is 37, and this is not the first time he's had to deal with racism. I'm not calling out any of you, because it's entirely possible that Travis shouldn't receive the benefit of the doubt, and these issues are not readily apparent. It's just...I can see myself wanting to respond in the same manner and talking myself out of it, so I'm not going to cast stones at him for going ahead and saying it.

My take on what went down is that I find it next to impossible to give Travis ANY benefit of the doubt for not being a misogynistic jerk when his entire account was basically misogynistic garbage. So we're not talking just about one isolated post that most of us agree was completely overblown and probably didn't even mean what the tumblr fans said.

And I think it's important to note that it's unlikely Sasha's boyfriend and friend were acting completely isolated from her and only taking the fandom's word that something iffy was going on. It's very possible if not probable Sasha herself was uncomfortable with that first post and her boyfriend and fans took her pains. 

I do agree with you that the overreaction to the first post was unwarranted and Travis being a POC no doubt played into that as much as the fact that his character is serving as an obstacle to a popular ship. It's very likely the issue wouldn't have been raised if he was an white actor. I've seen them getting away with saying way, way worse over and over again in fandoms like Supernatural where the crew is pretty much composed of white males and most of the fandom would let them get away with murder.

On his end, Travis chose to engage a fandom composed primarily of young teenage girls in an hostile manner by proceeding to post a series of blatant disgusting misogynistic posts followed by a direct attack which involved a myriad of insults so, imo, he holds A LOT of the responsability for how bad things got. The death threats he received, race based and otherwise, are completely unnaceptable, though. Sadly, he's not the first actor and won't be the last to receive them for ridiculous reasons.

And they don't erase the fact that his behavior was appalling, in my opinion, and no way justified. He's an actor, a professional in an industry where image is EVERYTHING and the way he portrays himself represents the show he is in, so he has a professional obligation to conduct himself in an appropriate manner. You don't see movie stars going off on fans on social media sites for a reason: it's bad for business! They're costing a ton of people money if they do that. So no, I personally don't agree Travis being "forced to recant" was unfair. If anything, I believe he got away easy. I can't think anyone would have gotten way with confronting a "client" in any profession, let alone in a public manner and in the way he did, without getting a serious earpulling from the Boss or getting fired. I've seen people getting fired for way, way less, in the non-hollywood world.

There's an abysm between wanting to respond to an attack in a certain way and actually doing it. In between those two lies the difference in being a professional and at the very least an adult, imo.

I remain amazed a 37 year old didn't have enough foresight to not scalate a fan issue that 15 year old actresses that receive hate since reaching puberty seem to have every day. That's an ugly part of being actor, but hardly a secret one. If I were Travis I'd be asking myself if the benefits of his profession outweight the bad sides. If the answer is yes, then he better get a really good PR person to give him some tips.

I don't think my take on things is more right than yours, or vice-versa, but I stand by my comments on this issue.

And I will say, as with that one picture...forgetting everything else.

He is a 37 year old, who decided to use the image of a 19 year old..who he is working with..to make a sexist joke. 

The fans went overboard, but it's icky. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/638726/want-clues-on-who-a-is-pretty-little-liars-boss-picks-5-episodes-to-rewatch-before-the-finale?cmpid=tweol-tumblr

Marlene King gives a list of five episodes to rewatch before the finale for clues on who A is.  For those who want to know without clicking on the article link they are...

1. "It Happened 'That Night,'" season three, episode 1
2. "A Dangerous Game," season three, episode 24
3. "A Is for Answers," season four, episode 24
4. "Taking This One to the Grave," season five, episode 12
5. "How the 'A' Stole Christmas," season five, episode 13

• Love 3

Toby is next to impossible to pull off though because he's not old enough. I know Andrew looks 40 playing 18 but Charles in his mid twenties posing as an early teen??

I'm going with Ted is Charles senior - Charles' real father. That's why he kept insinuating himself with the liar moms and being around fishy stuff like Emily's jacket and the usb drive and bailing Ashley out after knowing her for 2 days...

My second guess is...Sean! He was blonde too, right. And around since the pilot so it's not cheating! And he knows teeth because he's a dentist's son! He got adopted by the pastor and molested because duh Rosewood pastor...that's why he didn't want to have sex with Hanna and he's so messed up and it's all their fault but he was abused so Hanna forgives him!!

Marlene and Shay on how the fans will react to the Charles reveal. I know it's ridiculous to analyse this, but it's interesting both of them think the fans will be not only shocked but upset by who Charles is. I'm a big supporter of Wilden being Charles, but this video made my mind go straight to Toby, not gonna lie.

I think many fans would be pretty upset if Charles is someone we have never seen so far, so...

• Love 3

Eh they're nothing too important obviously, otherwise they wouldn't have been cut.

One is an Alison/Lorenzo scene, which, you know, is never all that interesting, but it does offer a little insight into why Ali is suddenly a church lady and what jail was like for her.

The other is just a brief scene between Aria and Emily comparing notes on which one of them is the most useless liar this season....actually it's just Emily pointing out how shady Clark is.

ETA: it's always a bad sign when show runners have to assure fans they're not lying this time.

Edited by SadieT
  • Love 2

I never post here, usually lurk -- but I'm not surprised Marlene King is begging fans to believe her. I don't think the show has had the trust of fans for a long time.

At this point, whoever A is, I'm going to be rolling my eyes a lot. Unless it's Dan Humphrey. Then I might laugh because that would be SO PERFECT.

• Love 5

Sorry Marlene, all your pretty little words and a t shirt doesn't make me believe you.

Here's my full expectation:  We will get answers.  We will get resolution to the show's main mysteries.  BUT - we WON'T get answers to any of the subplots, red herrings, questions and characters that aren't directly connected with the main mystery and as a result the finale will be unsatisfying because we're still left hanging with many of our long-time questions unresolved and doomed to be left that way because if they aren't touched upon now, it's near impossible any closure could come after diving headfirst into a five year time jump.  

That's my full no-chargebacks prediction.  And you can take this one to the grave.

• Love 3