Type keyword(s) to search

Black Sails in the Media

Yeah looks like things are going to get messy, a little dirty, and probably a little freaky with Vane and Eleanor. This is going to end very badly.

So who was Max with?

As exciting as it is to see promo for the new season already, it needed more Jack and Anne Bonny.

Ugh, I can't with Vane.  When he nearly choked Max that was it for me.  Vane reminds me of guys I used to know who thought they were the hottest thing in the universe, but were all total douchebags.  Vane is just nasty, gross and I don't like his hair extensions either.  

I hope Max hooks up with Anne, Max is too good for Eleanor.

When he nearly choked Max that was it for me. 

Where Vane lost me was when he handed Max over to his men. The choking I could look past since I figured it was par for the course for this sort of pirate show. But dammit, even Anne said that she thought they’d “only” kill Max. Vane, you suck. I realize he’s an antagonist, but I’m not sure if I love to hate him or if I just hate him, period. It’ll depend on how his character is treated in season 2, I guess.

And I hate how a subset of fandom tries to whitewash Vane’s actions by insisting that he didn’t ~know Max was getting raped in the shack. Right. He only tied her up naked in there, but I’m suuuuure he didn’t know what his men were up to.

I don’t mind Eleanor, though. (I like all of the women on the show. Well, except for maybe Mrs. Barlow.) But if that teaser is accurate, then I might have to reevaluate. Or hope that someone knocks some sense into her.

Hmm... the jury's still out on Billy Bones.

Heh.

(I need more of Billy and his deliciously distracting arms.)

Edited by galax-arena
And I hate how a subset of fandom tries to whitewash Vane’s actions by insisting that he didn’t ~know Max was getting raped in the shack. Right. He only tied her up naked in there, but I’m suuuuure he didn’t know what his men were up to.

What Vane did was worse.  He told Jack to take her out to a boat at night (like Vane didn't know what was going to happen).  And Vane had NO control over his crew, he just let them rape Max?  Vane also wanted to get the Walrus crew on his side, shit, he couldn't even handle his own folk.  Vane's an ass (actually I thought it was spelled Vain, because that's what he is.)  The only person he really loves is himself, give him a mirror and he'll be happy.

• Love 1
He told Jack to take her out to a boat at night (like Vane didn't know what was going to happen). 

Eh, I don’t think he did. That’s the one small allowance that I’ll give Vane. IMO he genuinely meant to let Max go off in that boat. He initially meant to “take care of the problem” by having her killed - the problem being that he didn’t want Eleanor to find out that Max was on the island - but then they bonded over being abandoned by Eleanor, so he showed her mercy by letting her go, knowing that she wouldn’t come back.

That doesn’t make up for his putting her in that situation in the first place, though.

ETA: Also, setting up Max and Rackham to get ambushed by the rest of the Ranger crew would make no sense. For one thing, that would have heightened the chances of Eleanor finding out what had really happened to Max, and Vane didn’t want that, especially after hashing out a tentative deal with Eleanor earlier that day. And what would have been the point? To have Max raped some more? He could have just left her in the shack then. I loathe Vane and want him to get his comeuppance so badly I can taste it, but I don't think that one gesture was more scheming on his end. 

Edited by galax-arena
Eh, I don’t think he did. That’s the one small allowance that I’ll give Vane. IMO he genuinely meant to let Max go off in that boat. He initially meant to “take care of the problem” by having her killed - the problem being that he didn’t want Eleanor to find out that Max was on the island - but then they bonded over being abandoned by Eleanor, so he showed her mercy by letting her go, knowing that she wouldn’t come back.

I think you're right about that.  He told Rackham to take her to the boat at night, so no one could see.  He probably would have told the Ranger crew that he killed her after he fucked her in the ass, or something vile like that.  Ugh, Vane (I keep wanting to write Vain) is so fucking vile.  Someone just get him a mirror, he'll be so distracted by his own reflection that he won't bother anybody.

One question about Vane though, who was that big, bald man that he went to see when he disappeared from Nassau and went on some strange men only island?  There was a little black boy there and Vane just stared at him; I got the feeling Vane was brought there as a little boy himself and that man probably repeatedly raped him when he was a child; Vane had the same mark on his body as the little boy and when that big man touched him, Vane flinched.

Edited by Neurochick

8 eps in the first season. Season 2 is going to have 10 eps.

Seeing the promo on the TV I think Max is with a man with dark/black hair.

Also looks like Vane and Flint are going to have a real brawl. I really hope that we get more info/promos soon. I assume that it will come back like Spartacus would at the end of Jan.

• Love 1

Also looks like Vane and Flint are going to have a real brawl. I really hope that we get more info/promos soon. I assume that it will come back like Spartacus would at the end of Jan.

I've been anxiously awaiting a Vane/Flint fight. Or just more scenes with them in general. I wondered if Flint would be stuck on Treasure Island the whole season, but I guess not.

Black Sails won two of the four Emmys it was up for: Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role and Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series. I was really hoping it'd win for best theme music because I love Bear McCreary's score, but oh well. 

FYI for anyone going to New York Comic Con: Toby Stephens, Hannah New, Luke Arnold, Zach McGowan, Jessica Parker Kennedy, and the exec producers will doing a Black Sails panel on Saturday, October 11. Apparently it’s a double panel with Da Vinci’s Demons, so if you watch both shows, you should be happy. Not sure how a double panel works, though… I guess it means they won’t be clearing out the rooms between panels.

Was just about to post that. Okay that looks good.

Interesting new little tidbits picked up there. Will leave it at that as to not spoil anything.

I do however have one question was that Anne Bonny with Max? It was hard to tell as there was no hat and the face was darker but looked like it may have just been dirt. Seriously Anne Bonny with no hat last season was the crazy sight that I don't think I could recognize her again with out it.

Thanks for posting the pic and also thanks for the links to the interviews.

Upon further examination it does seem like it is Anne Bonny definitely looks like dark red hair.. As I said it is still weird to see her without her hat. Also in the picture she seems very vulnerable which isn't something I am used to seeing.

I am interested in knowing who the new characters are this season and also who they are trying to cast for the third season. Hopefully there will be some new features on Starz coming out for the new season where we get more clips/info.

Has there been any word on the DVD/BR for season 1 here in the US? I know it came out in some other countries.

Looks like Outlander is going to air a sneak preview for its Season 1, Part 2 return episode right before the premiere of Black Sails, Season 2.  The second half of Outlander, Season 1 begins right after season 2 of Black Sails finishes, and in the same time slot.  That's very smart.  I will be be good for Black Sails if they can draw in some of the Outlander crowd (like me.)

The cast of Black Sails offers some interesting thoughts on the introduction of Ned Low to the story.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/black-sails-cast-on-the-threat-of-ned-low_video_2616137

TL:DW:  When the "heroes" of a story are all thieves and liars, the "bad" guy has to be really, really bad.  I think that's a good point because I am downright surprised by the positive reaction I am having to Flint, Silver and Vane this season.  I didn't like any of them last season. The contrast with Ned "The Psychopath" Low is probably helping.

This past weekend, Sept. 19th, Starz ran a marathon of the Black Sails series.  After watching most of the season 2 episodes, I realized that I really miss this show.  They showed a nice preview of season 3 at the end, with Blackbeard coming.  Looking forward to Flint fully embracing his adopted role, while finally putting James to rest. 

I loved that trailer because it gives me hope for John Silver.  In the first two seasons, I really didn't like Luke Arnold as John Silver.  I thought he was too good looking, too silly; I couldn't get why, in Treasure Island, people are actually afraid of him; but in that last shot of the trailer, OMG.  John Silver has totally embraced the pirate lifestyle and I can't wait for January.

• Love 1

I loved that trailer because it gives me hope for John Silver.  In the first two seasons, I really didn't like Luke Arnold as John Silver.  I thought he was too good looking, too silly; I couldn't get why, in Treasure Island, people are actually afraid of him; but in that last shot of the trailer, OMG.  John Silver has totally embraced the pirate lifestyle and I can't wait for January.

Not only is Silver totally menacing and scary in that final scene, but if you stop/slow the action down at 1:54,  it appears that Silver's bashing Dufresne's head in with his peg leg.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if the Vane/Flint alliance holds up, and what role Blackbeard will play.

Edited by Ripley Rules

Not only is Silver totally menacing and scary in that final scene, but if you stop/slow the action down at 1:54,  it appears that Silver's bashing Dufresne's head in with his peg leg.

I'm also looking forward to seeing if the Vane/Flint alliance holds up, and what role Blackbeard will play.

Yes, I thought Silver was bashing that man's head with his peg leg...ewww....

I appreciate the change though, because when he first appeared I was like, "THAT'S John Silver?  WTF?"  Interesting to see him change from being all about  him, to the comment he made in the finale, "you took me away from my men," and that he was voted as quartermaster, despite his missing leg.  

If you go on  youtube and look on "Afterbuzz TV" there is an interview with the cast, including Luke Arnold and when I watched that interview, I noticed his hair was a lot longer and he had a beard, very different from the way he looked in season 2.  I guess they were filming season 3 then.

Edited by Neurochick

I'm hoping there'll be a bit of a bigger time jump between seasons 2 and 3 than there was between 1 and 2. It'll seem a little ridiculous if only a couple of months  went between seasons 1 and 3. (At least, that was my impression? That season 1 takes over the course of only a couple of weeks and season 2 was only a little bit more than that, maybe 3 months at most?)

Edited by ulkikis

Yes, I thought Silver was bashing that man's head with his peg leg...ewww....

I appreciate the change though, because when he first appeared I was like, "THAT'S John Silver?  WTF?"  Interesting to see him change from being all about  him, to the comment he made in the finale, "you took me away from my men," and that he was voted as quartermaster, despite his missing leg.  

If you go on  youtube and look on "Afterbuzz TV" there is an interview with the cast, including Luke Arnold and when I watched that interview, I noticed his hair was a lot longer and he had a beard, very different from the way he looked in season 2.  I guess they were filming season 3 then.

The look on his face while he is doing it is just great.