Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Abby's New Favorites

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Abby's back, but she's only focusing on the minis; and a new mini auditions for the team. Later, the moms complain when Brynn is chosen for the lead role in the junior team's only routine; and Brynn's future at the ALDC depends on a win with Maddie set to return next week.

Wow, there was literally nobody else there!

The little ones are cute, but that dance was a mess and yet again they're overly sexualized.

Thought Brynn did a fine job leading the other dance. She doesn't sell it quite as well as Maddie does at this point, but her technique is lovely.

We're jaded.  :)  Filming of an Abby fake competition isn't as exciting as a lot of things going on.  We can go out and see regular TV and movies filmed - free.  Last I heard they were still charging to get into the fake shows. 

• Love 2

There have been tons of fans at the fake competitions before, not sure why this time is different but it seems as if the participation in the "invitationals" is way down since they headed out to California.

I guess there's better stars to stalk in LA than Anywhere, USA.

It could just be that they didn't announce this particular fake competition.  Or they wanted to play up the idea that people are losing interest in the show because of Abby's issues and not because it's just gotten bad.

Yeah, I tend to think LA is just a different beast.  You can go to the Grove and trip over any number of actual celebs on a regular basis, so why do you need to trot out to a fake dance competition to catch Abby Lee and the girls, who are at best D list celebs?  In other parts of the country they are probably treated as much bigger deals.

All of the moms suck.  I don't care enough to learn who thew new moms are and they probably won't be around that long period, but the "original" moms suck.  They are so hypocritical.  I get all the mini moms and Brynn's mom are extra, but so are Melissa and the crew.  They can talk about anyone and everyone but if somebody dares utter the name of any of their girls they go ape.  Guess what Melissa.  Mack is still doing babyish choreography, so you all sitting around and complaining about a 7 year old (?) doing babyish choreography is rich.  At 7, she should be doing babyish choreography.  Or at least it makes sense.  It doesn't make sense at Mack's age.

And Jill going on and on about how she would never say anything bad about any of the girls is also rich.  I also got a good laugh when she was pining for Maddie to be back with the girls.  The same Maddie she bitched about for seasons.  But apparently we are supposed to pretend everything before this season never happened.

Maddie looks so bored and over it in all those little chat segments with the girls.  In the ones that aired tonight she just sat there rolling her eyes the whole time and pretending not to know the other girls.  

• Love 4

Maddie looks so bored and over it in all those little chat segments with the girls. In the ones that aired tonight she just sat there rolling her eyes the whole time and pretending not to know the other girls.

I noticed that too and honestly, I hope that bites her in the ass. I used to like her well enough but anymore I think she's an insufferable little snot.

• Love 4

Wow, there was literally nobody else there!

The little ones are cute, but that dance was a mess and yet again they're overly sexualized.

Thought Brynn did a fine job leading the other dance. She doesn't sell it quite as well as Maddie does at this point, but her technique is lovely.

I don't see Brynn having technique that good given her age. understandably she's at an awkward age, right before puberty when a child is all limbs, but still. her legs don't stretch and straighten when she did leaps. No great port de bra although I don't think that's a priority with Abby's studio. Also what Abby said, no musicality and not hard hitting enough.

She'll have a hard time in her later teen years unless she gets better training. There are plenty of preteens that do what she does. Less so as they get older.

Edited by Lemons
  • Love 1

Jill is so incredibly obnoxious, it makes me want to yank my hair out. Ashlee is annoying, too, but Jill is just so pretentious! When Abby was critiquing Brynn and Jill was standing there with that self-righteous smirk- ugh! I don't even know why I watch this trainwreck anymore.

• Love 1

This show used to be my favorite show, and I looked forward to every Tuesday night. A couple of years ago, I just didn't like the direction it was going and stopped watching,  but I do like to go to the various websites and read the comments.  I read the wiki spoilers, and there were 15 dancers total at this competition, and the two ALDC groups were the only groups there.  That probably makes up the 15 dancers! lol!!

From the comments, it appears that this is Jill's year to be the constant complainer.  Last year was Holly, the year before was Christi, and the year before that, Kelly, until she got kicked off the show.  Of course, Melissa won't ever have that role because her children have been the "chosen ones."  I don't know anything about the "mini" team mothers.

I also saw on a couple of other sites that ALDC in Pittsburgh has closed, and that Gia is no longer associated with ALDC.  I don't know who is working with the girls in LA, but it must not be Gia.

• Love 1

This show used to be a fav of mine too but that stopped real quick over a year ago.. For those that may have missed this, here is a new Maddie article ..

"Talented teen dancing queen Maddie Ziegler has added another feather to her cap after starring in a dynamic video for dancewear brand Capezio"

Read more:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3439311/Teen-dance-star-Maddie-Ziegler-black-sheep-ballet-world-pulls-sensational-routine-dynamic-dancewear-campaign.html

My FB feed has been full of clips of Debbie Allen at the White House this week with her younger students performing for the first lady. I keep imagining Abby Lee frothing at the mouth in response. 

BTW, Abby really must have pissed off the producers/editors. The promo with "lazy" Abby is classic. Since the episode when they shot her in her bra, the gloves have been off in terms of their treatment of her.

It's obvious from the lack of kids on the stage that there were no other Teen Groups or Mini Teams competing.  The older girls' routine was pretty, but the little girls' were a mess.  Can't blame them for the sloppiness; they are only given a few days to learn and most of them probably don't have a lot of competition experience.  However, that little Peyton was late in every move and the girl who lead them on and off stage was swinging that club like a crazy person!  Like any dance team, timing and staying in sync is so important in group dances. That's why my guess is those little ones were the only ones in that category.

I see the tradition of troweling on the makeup continues with all the new moms.  Yeesh.  They all look so awful.  I'm sure if they turned it down by a factor of 10, most of them are attractive in a more natural state.  If anything, that much makeup, hair product and extensions accentuate whatever flaws they think they are covering. 

I noticed that too and honestly, I hope that bites her in the ass. I used to like her well enough but anymore I think she's an insufferable little snot.

Honestly I don't get blaming Maddie for being over this and showing it. We the viewers are over it all, and we aren't directly influenced by it. I think that by this point in the game it's all wearing thin for the original girls. I think that at first it was a lark and a way to get noticed. Now I think it's more of an embarrassment for them than anything. Yes, they have this show to thank for their "fame" but I bet they all wish that they were Brooke, Chloe and Paige at this point. Those three got the fame brought about by the show but now they are spared the continued forced smiley, happy, togetherness of being together all of the time and of having to play along with whatever the script is. Also, at the age these girls are now, is when childhood friendships start to fray and rearrange themselves. I know that when I reached middle school, our big group of girl friends from elementary school started to break up into smaller groups that were based around different things, personalities etc. It has got to be tough and a bit frustrating to constantly have to pretend to be friends and lovey dovey with girls who you may not particularly want to spend a lot of time around anymore.

When the show goes on hiatus during the summer, and the girls aren't filming, check out their pages and accounts. You can tell who really likes to hang out with who and really spend time together when it's not a show prop. I rarely see Nia with any of the other girls, sometimes with Chloe or Jojo. JoJo seems to have a busy career doing whatever promotion stuff her mother has going, but outside of filming I don't see any pictures of her with anyone ALDC other than Nia. Kendall and Maddie are often together along with Kendall's older sisters. You rarely see Mack and Maddie together as they both have their own group of friends and they are sisters lol. Kalani only spends time with any of the ALDC girls for filming, otherwise she is right back with her old studio friends.

I just think that I'll cut them all a little slack when it comes down to being over this idiocy. I only watch in spurts (thank god I DVR and can fast forward), but it's clear that it really is time to end this. Or at the leas transition the big girls off and let the show just be the minis and the new moms. 

Jill is so incredibly obnoxious, it makes me want to yank my hair out. Ashlee is annoying, too, but Jill is just so pretentious! When Abby was critiquing Brynn and Jill was standing there with that self-righteous smirk- ugh! I don't even know why I watch this trainwreck anymore.

What's funny about that is Jill sees it as an accomplishment that Brynn was getting critiqued, but in the dance world one of the biggest mantras is critiques are good, worry when they stop.... Soooo smug Jill can have a seat.

• Love 3

I don't know. I think Brynn could dance circles around Maddie. Brynn doesn't have that obnoxious Maddie Face and Bryan has gorgeous feet.

Melissa's extensions are ridiculous. I agree with the mom who asked why is Makenzie still doing pouty faces in pigtails. She's way too old for that.

I didn't even notice Jojo this week. Kendall barely. She's so dull.

I swear I think Melissa being Kalanisbguardian guardian is a huge mistake. Melissa is reveling in how stressed Kalani is and I sincerely think she'd push her in front of a bus if she thought it would benefit Maddie. No idea why Makenzie topped the pyramid either.

Speaking of Kalani, during those 'couch session' fuller segments, she could not have had nastier looks at Brynn. Kalani does not like that girl. Interesting. Maddie seemed bored to death.

Holly, Holly. You looked like an idiot arguing that Nia shouldn't be better than Kalani at African dance because Nia studied it for three weeks this summer. That's three weeks more training than Kalani had, so yeah, Nia should have some familiarity of the style. Arguing that being black shouldn't be a factor in Nia and the African dance - insert a big yawn and eye roll from me to Holly - Nia is more than her skin color, yes. BUT she's black. She has African ancestry. Her mother studied African dance in college. It may not be idealistic, but if she doesn't execute the dance better than girls with a different background people will notice. Bring in a girl with Russian heritage, and a mother who was a ballerina, and if she doesn't knock every pirouette and position out of the park, it will be noted.

Also, remember the rosa parks dance? Nia was the obvious choice for rosa parks. Nia is the weakest technical dancer there, but a black dancer was the best choice to portray an iconic black civil rights leader. If Maddie had been chosen for the lead, or Kendall as Jill suggested, Holly would've thrown a fit.

• Love 2

I actually thought Nia WAS better than Kalani at the African dance last week. You could tell she'd had a bit more experience with the style in the way she performed it. Having African ancestry doesn't make you automatically better at African dance the same way having Irish ancestry doesn't make you better at step dancing. And Holly's study doesn't make a difference either. My mom studied music and has a lovely soprano voice while I can barely carry a tune.

Honestly I don't get blaming Maddie for being over this and showing it.

I don't blame Maddie at all for being over this, I do blame her for showing it though. This is where she got her start, she wouldn't have been noticed by Sia or have the burgeoning career she has without Dance Moms. A little gratitude would be nice. And so what if you don't really get along with some of the other girls, you can be polite and avoid the eye rolling for the little time you're with them. It's the professional thing to do and if you want to be working you're going to have to get along with people you wouldn't normally choose to hang out with.

• Love 4

Holly, Holly. You looked like an idiot arguing that Nia shouldn't be better than Kalani at African dance because Nia studied it for three weeks this summer. That's three weeks more training than Kalani had, so yeah, Nia should have some familiarity of the style. Arguing that being black shouldn't be a factor in Nia and the African dance - insert a big yawn and eye roll from me to Holly - Nia is more than her skin color, yes. BUT she's black. She has African ancestry. Her mother studied African dance in college. It may not be idealistic, but if she doesn't execute the dance better than girls with a different background people will notice. Bring in a girl with Russian heritage, and a mother who was a ballerina, and if she doesn't knock every pirouette and position out of the park, it will be noted.

Let me get this straight, you are actually saying that since HOLLY took a dance class in college, NIA is supposed to know how to dance? Holly is not a dancer or a dance teacher. She's a woman who took a semester of dance when she was twenty years old. That's like saying because she took a cooking class, Nia should be a professional chef.

The fact that Nia is black does not give her magical African dance powers. Holly's point was that essentially, with only three weeks exposure to the style, both Nia and Kalani  were novices at this form of dance. Her ancestry has absolutely nothing to do with her ability to perform a style, especially since all of her training and exposure has been to styles completely antithetical to African dance (lyrical, jazz, acro, and some ballet). Nia is from Pittsburgh, and last time I checked that was not a hotbed of African culture. The fact that she is black does not mean she magically absorbs all things African. Her culture and what she is surrounded by is AMERICAN. 

• Love 10

Holly's experience with African dance in college doesn't automatically mean Nia has what Holly learned in her genes. It does mean that Nia has a mother with experience in African dance. I cannot fathom that as dedicated as Holy is to Nia's dance career, that she hasn't given her some exposure to the one dance style that she herself has learned. Holly is also much more educated, culturally aware, and let's face it, sophisticated than Kalani's mom. I translate this to mean Nia's probably seen a wider variety of dance styles than Kalani, and that variety includes dance that express Nia's heritage, which includes African cultural dance, art, etc. Nia had a better idea of what African dance is supposed to look like than Kalani. Neither girl has a specific physical propensity that makes them better at African dance, Irish dance, or American tap or whatever, but had the edge because she has had more exposure to that specific style than Kalani. That's all.

Also, if Nia has trained at Debbie Allen's studio, even briefly, that gives a familiarity with the place, some instructors, teaching styles, etc.That's an advantage. 

Nia may not 'absorb all things African/black' because she is predominantly black, but most people do connect more quickly with things that are even slightly familiar. If both girls had the exact same genetic makeup, Nia still had the initial edge, in my opinion, because she had prior exposure to that style of dance.

Personality wise, I think Nia is the most grounded. She's very intelligent and driven. I have always thought she'd be the one to 'survive' dance moms and be very successful at whatever she chooses after the show ends. She's far more rational than her mother, and I wish her the best.

The fact that Nia is black does not give her magical African dance powers.

I was surprised that the African dance class at Debbie Allen's looked to be about 95% African American dancers.  That was a big class too, looked like two different levels.  Is that the usual make up at her school?

Hey, longtime lurker, first time poster. I've been watching Dance Moms since season 1, episode 1! It certainly has changed. Unfortunately now I mostly put it on in the background. Anyway, I agree that Maddie looked bored during the commercial segments, but I don't blame her. This show has gotten boring. She didn't have to act bored, but I can understand why she is. And maybe she's a little more reserved since she might feel like she's being more "watched" than the other girls.

The group dances were alright, I liked them enough, but the minis were really out of sync. I know nothing about dancing but even I noticed that. With time the minis would probably get used to learning the dances so quickly and get more synchronized I think.

With regards to it being implied that Nia should've been better at the African dance than Kalani because she's black...no. Just because she's black doesn't mean she's automatically better than someone who's not black at African dance. She's still American. Maybe I understand the argument that Holly had studied African dance and could give Nia some extra tips or something, that would give Nia an advantage, but other than that I see no reason how the color of Nia's skin would magically make her better. For example, I'm of Chinese descent and it's been implied many times that I should be fantastic at piano playing and math, and guess what? I suck at both of those despite my best efforts. My heritage has nothing to do with my ability with stereotypical "Asian" pursuits.

• Love 2

This is a minor thing, but remember when they used to do brief montages of the "other dancers" during the competition? It just occurred to me that they stopped doing that, as well. 

The whole "Maddie's replacement" deal is ridiculous. A child should not be taught to limit their ambitions to being the replacement or second best. Brynn should aim to be Brynn and no one else. I prefer her to Maddie, honestly. Nia, Jojo, and Kalani also are all very sweet and talented girls. Nia does not have a future in dancing from the looks of it, but she's a great actress and a decent singer, at her age. I admire how down-to-earth she appears to be. I just cannot wait for this show to finally be put out of its misery and the kids eventually return to semi-normal lives. Gotta wonder what the parents are really like, giving how willing they were to subject their children to this sort of unhealthy environment.

What was the drama with Lynn even about? Because she backed off after Abby continuously yelled at her? So over this.

Edited by catloaf
  • Love 3

I don't blame Maddie for being bored either and I don't blame her for wanting to be away from the show, but I agree that she can at least suck it up and act professional.  Nia wasn't saying much in the segments either but she sat there and at least attempted to look engaged.  Eye rolling is not a good look for any kid in the limelight.  It also took me back to a few weeks ago where she was gossiping on the Seventeen set about Jill and Kendall to random people on set.  She wasn't remotely wrong in what she was saying, but there is such a thing as professional behavior.  Then again based on their mothers, not sure how we can expect any of these girls to display professional behavior.

Also while Holly might be a mess herself, she was not wrong in what she said to Abby re: Nia and the African dance.  Basically saying that Nia should be better at it, or have a leg up, solely based on her skin color is ridiculous.

• Love 1

I don't think the original poster (I'm sorry I don't remember who the op was maybe razzleberry?) meant literally that Nia should be good at African dance because Holly had a little experience with it, I took it more that she meant Nia had been previously exposed, it's not likely that this was the first time Nia saw African dance, it's likely that this is the first time perhaps she actually performed with it (outside of the 3 week class in the summer). That being said she did likely have more experience, but I think African dance is a unique style that could be harder to pick up... And I swear I don't mean this negatively but it is evidenced that Nia isn't always quick at picking up new things (I love Nia and I don't think everyone is cut out to learn full dances in 3 days), while I would venture to say Kalani excels at picking up new things, I would say that could play a part in the differences, leaving race out of the issue ( that's aimed more toward Abby, not anyone here). It's a sensitive subject so I don't want to say this wrong, and offend anyone, but I agree that Holly does kinda pick and choose when Nia's race is a consideration for a dance... I don't necessarily blame her given the gross generalizations Abby has made in the past such as calling her "tootie" and expecting her to twerk, but it probably isn't the most fair to say she should play rosa parks simply based on skin color, but not an African American drag queen (Laqueefa) because she is the same race. Idk if that makes sense, it would have been absurd to give the role (rosa parks) to Kendall, I think Nia did amazing in that specific role... But my point is, if that is your logic, you can't necessarily be mad when it works the other way. But regardless of the role it's inappropriate to stereotype based on the race in the first place. I also think it's a little bit different because in Rosa Parks, or Maya Angelou, Nia was portraying a specific character, who was African American, than her playing a role that is a generalization or stereotype based on a race, like expecting her to excel in African dance for the sole reason that she is African American.

• Love 2

1. So really....Kendyl?  I just can't with people and these special snowflake spellings.  And I'm gonna need this new mom to shut her piehole because bitch showed up 2 hours late and then is crying about why Abby won't let her kid dance.  Bitch, you are 2 hours late!  I'm the first person to be sympathetic to LA traffic, but it shouldn't make you that late, and if it is, you should be able to use a cell phone to call.  She kept acting like she was so confused, and she wasn't going to "change her morals" or whatever.....say what?  What moral stance allows you to be two hours late and then complain when there is a penalty for being two hours late?

2. No way Abby isn't hamming it up for the cameras at this point.  There is no way an adult human being would honestly suggest that Nia should have done an African dance better simply because she is black.  Maybe she is trying to prove that she is necessary for the show because she is the only person willing to actually say these things to a national TV audience.  Should Abby naturally pick up square dancing because she is white?

3. Ugh...minis on a pyramid.....they are so young for all that

4.  Jill is a mess, as much hate as she has towards a little girl.

Let me get this straight, you are actually saying that since HOLLY took a dance class in college, NIA is supposed to know how to dance? Holly is not a dancer or a dance teacher. She's a woman who took a semester of dance when she was twenty years old. That's like saying because she took a cooking class, Nia should be a professional chef.

The fact that Nia is black does not give her magical African dance powers. Holly's point was that essentially, with only three weeks exposure to the style, both Nia and Kalani  were novices at this form of dance. Her ancestry has absolutely nothing to do with her ability to perform a style, especially since all of her training and exposure has been to styles completely antithetical to African dance (lyrical, jazz, acro, and some ballet). Nia is from Pittsburgh, and last time I checked that was not a hotbed of African culture. The fact that she is black does not mean she magically absorbs all things African. Her culture and what she is surrounded by is AMERICAN. 

So...people are really down with this idea that Nia should have done better at African dance because she is black?  Sigh....one step forward and 55,000 steps back.  It would be funny if it weren't so damn sad and pathetic.  I expect it from Abby because Abby is clearly being an asshole to try to keep her position....but I get disheartened that people seriously don't know better.

And I really wish people would stop trying to put words in Abby's mouth that she didn't say.  She didn't say that Nia should have been better because of three weeks with Debbie Allen, she didn't say that Nia should have been better because of Holly's African dance class 20 years ago.  Abby very clearly said that Nia should have been better because she is African American.  Full stop.  People trying to equivocate racially based comments to somehow make the person making them more palatable  seems ludicrous to me.  Abby is a grown ass woman, she said what she said. 

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

So...people are really down with this idea that Nia should have done better at African dance because she is black?  Sigh....one step forward and 55,000 steps back.  It would be funny if it weren't so damn sad and pathetic.  I expect it from Abby because Abby is clearly being an asshole to try to keep her position....but I get disheartened that people seriously don't know better.

Why was the class almost exclusively African American kids?  I think there was one white kid in the whole class.  Did they choose the best students to be on the show or was that the whole class?  Are white parents not signing their kids up for African dance?  Is it a cultural thing and Abby was right?  Not so simple.  

• Love 1

Why was the class almost exclusively African American kids?  I think there was one white kid in the whole class.  Did they choose the best students to be on the show or was that the whole class?  Are white parents not signing their kids up for African dance?  Is it a cultural thing and Abby was right?  Not so simple.  

What does it matter the skin color of the children in the class?  Is Nia supposed to know about African dance because the majority of children in the class were black?  Or because a lot of black kids take African dance, Nia is supposed to automatically know about it too, to the point of being naturally better at it?  I do not see any logical point in bringing up the racial makeup of the dance class.  I'm sure a majority of kids taking square dancing classes are white, should I assume that all white kids should be "naturally better" at square dancing because they are white?

Its exceptionally simple to me.  Abby did not say "well, I expected  you to be better at the dance because so many of the children in Debbie Allen's class were African American."  Abby did not say anything at all that would have tied in with Debbie Allen's studio as a reason why she thought Nia would be better at African dance.  She only said that Nia should be better at African dance because she is African American.  And I hate the idea that people try to equivocate and defend Abby for these statements.  The woman made a racial comment, when people try to defend it and "well, maybe she meant x....." no, she meant what she said, which is that she believed Nia should be better at African dance because she is African American.  It would be just as ridiculous to say that a white kid should be naturally good at square dance because they are white.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 8

I'm guessing that those are the kids that signed up for the class, or those are the children that are getting the scholarships.  Or those are the ones interested in learning about African dance.  They know how to do the dance because they signed up for a class, not because they are African American.

Its exceptionally simple to me.  Abby did not say "well, I expected  you to be better at the dance because so many of the children in Debbie Allen's class were African American."  Abby did not say anything at all that would have tied in with Debbie Allen's studio as a reason why she thought Nia would be better at African dance.  She only said that Nia should be better at African dance because she is African American.  And I hate the idea that people try to equivocate and defend Abby for these statements.  The woman made a racial comment, when people try to defend it and "well, maybe she meant x....." no, she meant what she said, which is that she believed Nia should be better at African dance because she is African American.  It would be just as ridiculous to say that a white kid should be naturally good at square dance because they are white.  

I know it's politically correct to say that all people are the same no matter what their background. 

I'm guessing those are the kids that signed up for the class too.  You say that they know how to do the dance because they signed up for the class, not because they are African American.  My question is why are there only African American kids signing up for the class?  I found that surprising.

I don't understand what scholarships might have to do with the class. 

I know it's politically correct to say that all people are the same no matter what their background. 

I'm guessing those are the kids that signed up for the class too.  You say that they know how to do the dance because they signed up for the class, not because they are African American.  My question is why are there only African American kids signing up for the class?  I found that surprising.

I don't understand what scholarships might have to do with the class. 

Politically correct, or true? Because from where I sit, people are equal and the same no matter what their background.  You don't come into this world with some natural knowledge based on race and I think that stance is downright silly.  

All you know is that at Debbie Allen's studio, at the one class you've seen there were primarily black students.  That literally is all you know.  Jumping to conclusions about who signs up for what based on a snippet of one class also seems silly to me.  

Either way, that has absolutely nothing to do with Abby's statement, which had nothing to do with anything at Debbie Allen's studio and everything to do with her saying that Nia should have done better at African dance because she is African American.  

That doesn't make any sort of sense no matter who is signed up for an African dance class at Debbie Allen's studio.  And I truly cannot fathom any argument that would connect the two.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 5

Many people are proud of their heritage, culture, traditions and background.  This is why you see so many cultural organizations in this country.  Go to any college and you will see Asian Student Organization, Islamic Society, Society for Black Engineers are some examples.  People are equal but they are not all the same nor have all the same interests.   

Dance can also be a cultural thing.  Chinese dance, Indian dance, African dance.   Many parents who come from different countries or their ancestors came from different countries want their children to know about their backgrounds. 

Dance has a lot of history in African-American culture dating back to slavery and how they weren't allowed to practice their sacred dance rituals.  Tap dancing became popular as a result of the slaves not being allowed to use their drums.  So it could be important to a lot of African-American parents that their children know about their cultural background.  And those girls were phenomenal.  Nia, not so much.

• Love 3

Many people are proud of their heritage, culture, traditions and background.  This is why you see so many cultural organizations in this country.  Go to any college and you will see Asian Student Organization, Islamic Society, Society for Black Engineers are some examples.  People are equal but they are not all the same nor have all the same interests.   

Dance can also be a cultural thing.  Chinese dance, Indian dance, African dance.   Many parents who come from different countries or their ancestors came from different countries want their children to know about their backgrounds. 

Dance has a lot of history in African-American culture dating back to slavery and how they weren't allowed to practice their sacred dance rituals.  Tap dancing became popular as a result of the slaves not being allowed to use their drums.  So it could be important to a lot of African-American parents that their children know about their cultural background.  And those girls were phenomenal.  Nia, not so much.

Yes, people are distinct and have distinct interests.  That in no way means that a person should automatically do an African dance better because they are African American.  Each and every person is different as will there interests and their strengths and weaknesses.

Someone learns the dance not through some natural knowledge of the moves based on race, but by actually learning them.  Nearly every culture has unique dances.  I wouldn't naturally expect an Indian child to do well at Bollywood style dancing because they are Indian, and I wouldn't naturally expect an Irish person to do better at river dancing because they are Irish.  That makes no sense to me.  I would expect the person who actually spent time learning the dances to be better at them.

And assuming that every person is going to place the same importance on learning cultural dance because of race is equally ridiculous.  

Nor is it at ALL what Abby said.  

None of your points have anything to do with Abby's contention that Nia should simply do better at an African dance because she is African American.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Lemons - why are most of the kids and instructors at Debbie's school black? The school was designed that way. Debbie Allen could've founded a dance school anywhere. She specifically chose South central LA, a predominantly low income, gang infused, black neighborhood. Studies have found that locality and income directly inhibit students from being exposed to and participating in dance. The purpose of her non profit school is to bring high quality dance instruction to kids who normally would not have access to it. Her words, not mine. Btw - I think she's doing a wonderful thing.

Btw - I don't think you asked a weird question - why are all the kids in the African class black? That's not any weirder than asking why most were girls, or why teens, or wearing the blue leotards or whatever. You made an observation and asked a question without any malice behind it.

Anyway.....of course the kids in the class know how to do that specific style and choreography bc they are enrolled in the class. No one just gets up one day and does a whole dance without some instruction.

• Love 7

Lemons - why are most of the kids and instructors at Debbie's school black? The school was designed that way. Debbie Allen could've founded a dance school anywhere. She specifically chose South central LA, a predominantly low income, gang infused, black neighborhood. Studies have found that locality and income directly inhibit students from being exposed to and participating in dance. The purpose of her non profit school is to bring high quality dance instruction to kids who normally would not have access to it. Her words, not mine. Btw - I think she's doing a wonderful thing.

Thank you. I didn't know where the school was located. 

And assuming that every person is going to place the same importance on learning cultural dance because of race is equally ridiculous.  

Nobody said EVERY PERSON is going to place importance on cultural dance because of race, but a lot of people still do. This is why schools like Debbie Allen, Alvin Ailey, and Dance Theatre of Harlem offer cultural dance. 

• Love 1

I agree with those that said that Brynn could technically dance circles around Maddie.  I think she is a great dancer, she has great flexibility, her lines are amazing and she is strong.  I don't even think it's necessarily a technique thing though - because Maddie also has great technique - I think Brynn has simply had more intense training and has learned more skills.  However, that being said, I think Maddie is a better performer overall.  While Brynn may be technically better, Maddie exudes charisma and confidence onstage in a way that Brynn doesn't, imo.    

Either way, I think they are both great and a duet with both of them would be stunning.  

Why I don't understand: why a dance representing"Laqueefa," a misogynstic drag queen character who is supposed to be a "post-modern pimp ho" (see http://jezebel.com/5779851/hilarious-post-modern-pimp-ho-visits-rupauls-drag-race),is okay, but some stupid typical, Abby micro-aggression in the form of a throwaway racist comment is deserving of a level 10 response. It's okay for your daughter to portray a prostitute, but some off-hand remark is deserving of a rant? And La-queef-a? Revolting.

I don't know what's up with Holly (You have a PhD in Ed but you're still on this show?! Forget Abby for a second, the way the moms and other kids treat Nia isn't that great either, but I digress...), but I am really starting to dislike her.

Or Cookie from Empire? Love her, but she's a murdering drug dealer. Entertaining on an ADULT show, but not appropriate for a teenage girl to play as some sort of role model. Abby has definitely said some really ignorant, racist things about Nia, but I have to agree with Abby that Nia's ethnicity does indeed give her some additional versatility the other girls don't have - meaning Nia can get hired as a Disney girl, but also as a cast member of the Lion King, or the Color Purple, or other roles the other girls just can't. But instead of encouraging positive black roles along with the non-specific roles, Abby does pigeonhole Nia into parts like Cookie, LaQueefa, etc., that I would not dare allow my (fictional) daughter to portray. 

Of course she's put all the girls in spots like that - FAN DANCE - the Cabaret ' Big Spender' knock off dance, the Stomp the Yard dance, what was that one with Paige and Chloe in lingerie? I think that's what bugs me most about the moms in general - they might clutch their pearls and say they're shocked, but then they put their daughters in those dances anyway.

Long term lurker here and big fan of Dance Moms since very first episode.

Love the show but very overworked by producers for the drama - with consequence that Abby seems like a real ..... but I don't think she is.

Case in point when Nia was chosen for Seventeen shoot it was spun to look like Abby was not happy. Yet if you watch shown again you will see she never came out and sabotaged Nia - instead it cut to her saying why not consider Kalani. If you then look at the subsequent shot when they chose Nia - Abby was genuinely happy and clapped and laughed - now we all know Abby tells it how it is, so if she wasn't happy it would have been apparent.

This brings me to the debacle this week with people accusing Abby of being racist - she isn't - she just laid it down straight - as a black woman I say Nia should have brought it - the soul of that dance should have been in her as a person of African descent - it's not about the technique - it's the spirit. Nia doesn't have it because Holly time and time again causes a conflict in Nia's identity - is she black or isn't she - and the conflict shows in her dancing. Dayum even Maddie would have gone there with it.

So I agree with Abby as she valiantly tries to bring the soul out of Nia - but I fear its not gonna happen anytime soon - if ever. Not while Holly is conflicted.

Or Cookie from Empire? Love her, but she's a murdering drug dealer. Entertaining on an ADULT show, but not appropriate for a teenage girl to play as some sort of role model. Abby has definitely said some really ignorant, racist things about Nia, but I have to agree with Abby that Nia's ethnicity does indeed give her some additional versatility the other girls don't have - meaning Nia can get hired as a Disney girl, but also as a cast member of the Lion King, or the Color Purple, or other roles the other girls just can't. But instead of encouraging positive black roles along with the non-specific roles, Abby does pigeonhole Nia into parts like Cookie, LaQueefa, etc., that I would not dare allow my (fictional) daughter to portray. 

Of course she's put all the girls in spots like that - FAN DANCE - the Cabaret ' Big Spender' knock off dance, the Stomp the Yard dance, what was that one with Paige and Chloe in lingerie? I think that's what bugs me most about the moms in general - they might clutch their pearls and say they're shocked, but then they put their daughters in those dances anyway.

Let's not forget Abby's given her some really beautiful jazz/ soul solo's too - Nia just doesn't have the best lines - she doesn't finish her movements and doesn't temper her movements between hard and soft - it's always hard-hitting and dare I say clunky with the flexed feet.

Edited by DanceMomReals
  • Love 3

Discussing Abby's racist implication that Nia should have been better at African dance because of her race is fine. Making racist comments of your own is not. Please stop.

I don't believe I have said anything racist - just critiqued her dancing as has Abby- but if I have apologies.

Abby put Kenzie on top and called her a "performer", huh, how?
Alysa came 2nd but Areana came 1st, but they didn't show Areana had a solo. Does anyone know why they wouldn't show hers?
Alysa had some nice facial expressions, she beats Kendall already, but her dance seemed too sultry or something.
I'd have loved the mini dance had they not been EXTREMELY off.
It makes it so lame when there are hardly any competitors.

• Love 1

Just a couple of comments.

1. Brynn is much more enjoyable to watch at least to me than Maddie. I love her long strong lines.

2. The African dance class being mostly black - no different the the Irish step dance class my nephew is taking being full of white kids of Irish descent.

3. The new mini being late - again production scripted. We have no idea if the girl is from the area, just flew in from out of state and came from the airport, was told to arrive 2 hours late to create drama ect.... It's become so scripted and apparent that it is. The drama about Peyton not being able to keep up - if these new moms are true Dance Moms addicts - they know full well that Mac was excluded from a lot of the dances because she couldn't keep up or they weren't age appropriate in the beginning.

• Love 2

"she meant what she said, which is that she believed Nia should be better at African dance because she is African American."

Yes, exactly. That was stupid. So what Nia had 3 weeks of African dance. The statement is still racist and ignorant.

This...

"as a black woman I say Nia should have brought it - the soul of that dance should have been in her as a person of African descent - it's not about the technique - it's the spirit."

Makes no sense at all. How far removed is she from Africa? Have you done her geneology? She might be 5 or more generations removed. She does not have to have the collective unconscious you seem to think she must have to be a "real" woman of African descent. That is so offensive. I'm 2nd generation Mexican and find it offensive when white people call me "pocha" (meaning brown on the outside white in the middle) because I don't speak Spanish. You basically seem to be calling Nia Oreo because she is american. She's a beautiful young girl of African descent who is American. I'm American of Mexican descent. It's how I identify.

I think Abby has always treated Nia as a 2nd class citizen and, honestly shame on Holly for sanctioning it by being a part of this mess.

Edited by hatchetgirl
  • Love 6

You basically seem to be calling Nia Oreo because she is american. She's a beautiful young girl of African descent who is American. I'm American of Mexican descent. It's how I identify.

I didn't use the word Oreo - you did - & please note it's not a good analogy or metaphor - not all Oreos have white centres. ;)

Nia is of African descent - there is a spiritual essence to this which she displays at times - when Holly doesn't get in the way. Just saying. Abby is right to give her Nubian characters to bring it out of her .

Edited by DanceMomReals
  • Love 2

Moving away from the racist metaphysical crap, why does Jill think she can call someone roughly the same size as she is a "fatass"?

I noted that myself.  Then when the Mom turned around Jill said "see??" I was thinking "but it is good to have a fat ass.  That is sexy"  And I'd have said it too, had it been me.