Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Coda

Oh, Golly‼ The Show is ACES❗

These officers are fortunately right mad, not at all bad, and excellent to know! PCS Bright is protecting the innocent from the jaws of death. DS Strange is no shirker when trouble abounds and steadfastness is needed. Meanwhile, Constable Trewlove is realizing the weight of her oath, learning to breathe deeply and 'woman up', as well as donning her mantle to vigilantly attend her duties. DC (but soon to be DS) Morse is so wonderfully brilliant and achingly brave (sigh) but, perhaps, too sensitive for this harsh and hurtful ole world. Luv him. And, Thursday, Thursday, Detective Inspector ThursDAY(!) hacked and coughed up A FRACKIN' DAMN BULLET that was lodged in his lung, gazed at it, wrapped it in cloth then proceeded to march into mayhem!

Wow! Good is an understatement for THIS (here) SHOW❗ The writing, acting,...

*Abigail Thaw continues to 'pop up'.*

• Love 8

Endeavour, recruited by his old college mentor Felix Lorimer to look into the safety of his estranged younger wife Nina, contemplates his police career as well as having to contend with unexpected strife in his personal life. Meanwhile, the murder of Cedric Clissold - a manager with a line in fashion - stirs up old gangland grudges as a notorious crime family appear to be in the frame as prime suspects.

This was intense to say the least. I'm surprised, but very glad that Thursday survived yet again. The entire episode seemed to play up to his impending demise ("You know what they say about funerals, someone always catches their death"). Is it remotely likely someone could actually cough up a bullet fragment stuck in their lung? Thankfully that should be the end of his plague-sounding cough, I had to hit the mute button because it sounded so awful. I felt horrible for him and Win when Joan left. I could understand her needing to get away and clear her mind after going through that ordeal and seeing her father almost kill someone, though not in a self-defense situation, but I hate that she had to sneak out in the early hours of morning, and just when Sam had left as well. There was a quick shot of her at the bank reading a magazine about going on a kibbutz, so it seems she'd been longing to get away. Also, thanks show for getting "She's Leaving Home" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Since the Thursdays now have an empty nest, maybe they can adopt Morse. I've been wanting that since "Fugue" back in the first series. I love their relationship so much.

When Morse pulled the bullet bluff, I thought there would be one, maybe two bullets left, but a full chamber and the guy couldn't remember that.

I was slightly taken aback by Strange pulling rank on Morse. I've only seen like three episodes of the original Inspector Morse, and only slightly remember Strange in one of them so I don't know if this was his temperament on that show.

I was pretty uninterested in the actual murder mystery. When did Morse's professor get the idea to use Morse to get the notebook? He only found out Morse was a police officer at the concert, then he told him to visit his office the next morning. That was some pretty quick thinking since it was the day after the bingo caller shot that guy.

As for Morse coming to some realization that he now sees Joan as the one who got away, I'm not too sure about that. As I said, I only watched a few episodes of Inspector Morse, but I've heard people more familiar with it say Morse was rather unlucky in sustaining relationships, so I'm wondering if he likes the chase more. It was really obvious in the last series how Joan felt about him, her eyeballs nearly fell out of her sockets anytime he was around, but he seemed oblivious to her, even before he was introduced to Monica.

I'm upset that they've dropped the storyline about someone stealing evidence from last series, It had such a build up with the connection with the Freemasons, and then there was nothing. We know that the higher-ups were corrupt, but was that a separate issue. I don't like those dangling threads. I liked last series more than this one, especially the mysteries were more interesting to me, but I enjoyed it enough and am very pleased it will get another series. Shaun Evans and Roger Allam definitely deserve praise for their performances and should have awards thrown at them. Hopefully at least a BAFTA, because the Emmy's don't seem to recognize the existence of this show.

• Love 4

So when Thursday gave the cigarettes to Truelove (what a name!!), he said that he had learned it from his superior, by the name of Vimes from Cable street. Was that a shout-out to Terry Pratchett's NightWatch?  I hope so!

• Love 4

When Morse pulled the bullet bluff, I thought there would be one, maybe two bullets left, but a full chamber and the guy couldn't remember that.

No. We're to believe there was one bullet left (although I thought it looked full too, with one brightly colored bullet and the others darker. Shells perhaps?). Thursday also mentions afterward that there was one bullet left in the chamber when he thanks Morse for drawing fire away from Joan.

I don't for one moment buy that Morse was interested in Joan Thursday. She seemed interested in him but from his responses throughout the seasons, they had a sibling vibe at best. I'm more concerned with how quickly the Monica romance was dropped. I know we're supposed to believe they broke it off, off screen before he left to hide out at his friend's cabin, but it was strange seeing her at the hospital as if their relationship never happened. 

Also, Bright stops being an obstructionist clod, Strange embraces his darker side, and the barely noticeable Jakes gets a fond farewell sendoff. I'm not sure any of this was necessary.

Overall, I don't think this season matched the quality of the first two (except for the locations and set design, which at times were jaw dropping). It's still a good show, though and I'm looking forward to the fourth season. The original Endeavour movie was still the best written of the lot. I loved everything about that.

• Love 3

The chamber was completely full, Thursday never examined the gun, so he just assumed there was just one bullet left in there. That one bullet looks brightly colored due to the way the light hit it. I took a screenshot:

Mtv5Zn4.jpg

The chamber was completely full

It's full because it's a revolver, not a pistol. Revolvers don't eject spent casings. That shot implies the other bullets were fired with the one brightly lit bullet implying one shot remained.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I'll admit, I have little gun knowledge so thank you for the explanation FinnishViewer. I just saw a full chamber and thought Morse looked sick and relieved that he escaped certain death.

(edited)

Love this show, but since we have already seen so much of Morse's future, some of the suspense is taken away, but that is the way it is with prequels.

Edited by debi49

Absolutely a shoutout to Terry Pratchett! Sergeant Vimes of Cable Street...love it. Quite the "She's Leaving Home" vibe about Joan. So Thursday has only got three weeks to live, yet he tells no one. Morse could have stopped Joan if he'd had that information.

Oh, and I adore those fusty Oxford houses. They're probably all glam and renovated and lived in by merchant wankers these days, unfortunately.

• Love 1

I thought the three-weeks-to-live bit was a bluff, to make Cole (or Peter?) think Thursday would be willing to break every rule to get him.

That was a tense episode for me, especially since I saw from previews the bank robbery would happen, but we had to wait most of the episode for it.  I hate hostage situations in fiction, especially since they all have the same elements (the bad guys are vicious bullies, someone panics, a hostage tries something stupid, another hostage is particularly vulnerable, yet another hostage is contrarian and gives the good guy a hard time, etc.)

I don't like this new, darker Thursday.

• Love 1

So Endeavor was in love with Joan all along? Pity the woman who gets involved with him.  For all the chemical indicators he emotes, he might as well be in love with the chief superintendent.  In any case, I now question his taste if he thought the bleach blonde Neanderthal woman was "an angel."

Exciting bank robbery, though! 

8 hours ago, beadgirl said:

I do hope that coughing up the bullet means better health and a better attitude.  Joan running away probably won't help much.  Where was she going?  Is she turning to the dark side with her attraction to bad boys still on?

• Love 5

Poor Morse, almost getting killed two weeks in a row.  Here, have an ale and an opera.

My PBS station shows "Dancing on the Edge" before Endeavor.  It there a discussion for DotE?

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoy this show on many levels--the mysteries are quite clever and we're always shown the clues but it takes Morse to put them all together--but it's the interactions of the characters that's the highlight for me, and seeing Morse at odds with Thursday was damn difficult to watch, especially as we watched Thursday slowly unraveling.  I think Strange tried to pull rank with Morse because he's threatened by Morse's intelligence--he shouldn't be because Strange is like Thursday in that he has street smarts but maybe he doesn't think that's enough?  Bright is also awesome in his own way and I liked that he wanted Thursday to get help--good man.

And I know that I'm sick to death of watching Morse fall all over himself for the most horrible inappropriate women in existence who are usually married and just wrong for him.  He had an opportunity for a good relationship with Monica and a potential for one with Joan, but the show wants to up the angst by having him not get the good women.  And maybe it's just mean but I hate when the viewers are told about a female character being "angelically beautiful" and instead we're shown a minimally attractive woman with a strange accident--seriously, that bland chick Nina had Morse all twisted up?.  But when there are genuinely stunningly women around--Joan Thursday, Monica (the nurse) and Constable Trewlove--it's never acknowledged.  

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 5

Wasn't Joan involved with Jakes at one time (with Jakes asking Morse to cover for him on one occasion when Thursday happened to show up at the same club/pub where Jakes had gone on a date with Joan)?  I don't recall any explanation being given about why Joan/Jakes went their separate ways, though it's perfectly possible I wasn't paying attention at the time.  Are we now supposed to believe that Morse went on pining for Joan for decades after she left?

9 hours ago, beadgirl said:

. . . I don't like this new, darker Thursday.

Agreed.  He seemed tough but ultimately optimistic about the triumph of good over evil prior to his shooting; now it seems as if his outlook on life is terribly bleak and cynical--an attitude that formed even before Joan left.  I'm glad that the bullet came out but wondered if hacking up a bullet like that is even possible?  Would it damage a lot of stuff on the way up?

Bright must be tremendously courageous or he must have a deeply-buried death wish.  I was so anxious when he went to stand in front of the bank (without body armor!!) to try to persuade the hostage-takers to come out.  I kept thinking one of the antsier criminals was going to just take a shot at him.

Strange is verging on the edge of pomposity. 

• Love 2

Will he live longer now that the bullet is gone?

Not only does he scare off tigers with fire, he coughs out the bullet himself! 

Mark Heap!!  I should have guessed he was the killer since he was the biggest name guest star.

Here are the shoutouts to Morse episode thanks to IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4839466/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv 

The character Jerome Hogg appears in the Morse episode Greeks Bearing Gifts.

The college where Endeavour goes to visit Dr Lorimer is filmed at Exeter College. Endeavour is seen walking around the same quad where his older alter ego, Inspector Morse played by John Thaw, collapses in the very last episode, The Remorseful Day.

Morse attends a string quartet recital. The quartet are performing the same Debussy String Quartet Op. 10 that is used in the Inspector Morse episode "The Way Through The Woods" (Series 8 Episode 1).

• Love 4

I guess using the exquisite "She's Leaving Home"  would have been a bit too on the nose, but I swear I heard it plain as day in my head as Joan put the envelope on the mantel.  I was already a bit sniffly at that point - using the song would have killed me stone dead.

(edited)

Thursday's "darkness" is also seen in George Gently which takes place in the same early to mid 60's when the police battled Kray Brothers and organized crime.  (also reflected I think in Michael Caine's Get Carter 1971).  It's also a shock to see quite so many guns being used in all the ways we in America take for granted. It was a time still when many things were still "unthinkable" that alas are not longer. I don't know how bad it was or how deeply this "crime wave" (if it was one) affected the cops, or if British cops always had a more thuggish underbelly than TV shows usually portrays in them. In Gently, he also has a local underworld nemesis who is also semi-stalking him (iirc, it's been a few years)  -- there are also roadhouses and damsels in distress. 

wiki: "The (Gently) series moved the setting of the stories toNorth East England, centering on Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland and County Durham as opposed to the Norfolk portrayed in the books" and now we have the fingers of organized crime in the vicinity of Oxford with roadhouses, and bingo and gambling debts and collectors. For all I know there could have been (and still exists) an entrenched underground in the UK, much as there are several here in the U.S. 

I don't know if television writers are transplanting London crime to where their police are located or if the London crime is just the best known.  It avoids the "Midsummer" and "Miss Marple" trope of brutal murders in tiny picturesque villages or remote estates, perhaps emulating Foyle's War in being willing to air "dirty laundy" in a genre where more personal motives usually dominate. 

I was taken aback by Joan's departure, feeling as if I obviously missed something obvious, and then realized we've hardly seen her this (very short) season ... Lots (too much) of randomness this season , but yes, it's still my favorite and I think everyone's brilliant 

(eta: Apparently GG is yet to be renewed for a season 8. I have not yet seen season 7 (4 episodes) on Netflix as listed in Wikipedia) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2

I think Morse's reactions/emotions were a mixture of genuine caring and guilt.  He realized he had used her (and her attachment to him) during the robbery, and might have lost her because of it.

Maybe am a bit thick, but I wasn't clear why Joan left - because she thought she was a liability to her father? Too bad, will miss the actress and character.

Kind of disconcerting that they have redeemed Bright and, whatever the opposite of redeemed is for Strange. He went from being a capable and helpful Bobbie to a rat bastard detective. Both character changes were too abrupt  IMO. Also not clear why Strange has seniority over Morse.

• Love 3
(edited)

Me too. I assumed that somehow I had missed her (deep) involvement with one of the gangster types and she was off to see the "bright lights" that the anonymous big city had to offer (not available in a town where your father was a senior police officer). 

I do get tired of shows (I have this trouble with Tunnel as well) where I feel I have to re-watch because I'm left so unsure -- and feeling so stupid -  about plot points or endings). 

Oh, I have no idea if Thursday's coughing up the bullet was "realistic" but since his horrible cough then disappeared, I took it to mean his prognosis was considerably improved and his future brighter and likely longer (assuming he doesn't get shot again) 

Edited by SusanSunflower
typo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, fauntleroy said:

. . . Also not clear why Strange has seniority over Morse.

I think the situation is that Strange was just a [regular] constable while Morse was a Detective Constable and so outranked Strange.  However, Strange sat for the Detective Sergeant's exam and passed, so he now outranks Morse.  Since Morse has now passed the same exam, he'll be promoted to Detective Sergeant also, but Strange will still outrank Morse, since Strange attained his current rank earlier than Morse did.

Think this was my favorite episode of the 4 this season. Like a set of those wooden nesting dolls: Lift up the top one and..."O, look, there's another plot thread underneath!" And like every episode, including ones that featured large tigers and babies that suddenly appeared out of nowhere and were completely UNremarked upon (ditto for former girlfriends in hospitals) I'll have to re-view the whole thing. I think I'm watching with all the focus I can muster but I still miss so much!  Loved Thursday coughing up the bullet (physically possible or not) and the 1 remaining bullet in the bad guy's gun. Some kind of balance there...bullets in/bullets out. All the actors, from major to minor, are so darned GOOD and the sets terrific! Enjoyed "watching" Morse's thoughts about love settling on Joan. Just his woman du jour, I think. Still saying "Miss Thursday" after sharing a murderous bank robbery says something about both of them. Now at least a year for new episodes-? well. sigh.

• Love 2
(edited)

It was believable to me that Joan would be craving some independence and excitement in her life, but not that she snuck out without discussing it with her parents. They may have tried to talk her out of it, but in the end they're understanding and supportive, like they were with Sam.

Did Endeavour think Nina was an angel, or was he just quoting Felix? I thought the latter.

Did we know before that he's a gambler and in debt?

Edited by lordonia
11 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I enjoy this show on many levels--the mysteries are quite clever and we're always shown the clues but it takes Morse to put them all together--but it's the interactions of the characters that's the highlight for me, and seeing Morse at odds with Thursday was damn difficult to watch, especially as we watched Thursday slowly unraveling.  I think Strange tried to pull rank with Morse because he's threatened by Morse's intelligence--he shouldn't be because Strange is like Thursday in that he has street smarts but maybe he doesn't think that's enough?  Bright is also awesome in his own way and I liked that he wanted Thursday to get help--good man.

And I know that I'm sick to death of watching Morse fall all over himself for the most horrible inappropriate women in existence who are usually married and just wrong for him.  He had an opportunity for a good relationship with Monica and a potential for one with Joan, but the show wants to up the angst by having him not get the good women.  And maybe it's just mean but I hate when the viewers are told about a female character being "angelically beautiful" and instead we're shown a minimally attractive woman with a strange accident--seriously, that bland chick Nina had Morse all twisted up?.  But when there are genuinely stunningly women around--Joan Thursday, Monica (the nurse) and Constable Trewlove--it's never acknowledged.  

Amen! 

(edited)

IMO Joan leaving home was because she needed distance and time to process what she had just been through and seeing a completely different side to her father, and to a lesser extent, Morse.  She needs to come to terms with the reality of her father's job.  The secondary reason is that she's aware she's constantly "under observation" from the men in her life (eg Morse telling her to stay clear of the bingo caller).

I think Thursday coughing up the shrapnel (I don't think it was a recognizable bullet) does open up future story options... I'm hoping for Win's sake he gets to retire!

As regards the "angel crossing Carfax" that was 6+ years earlier.  Frankly I thought they played the older Nina too young as we know Morse seems to be attracted to older women (and an older Nina makes more sense with her being married to the professor)

Edited by DHDancer
misspelling
  • Love 1

I would have found Thursday coughing up that bullet preposterous, but according to Google there are people who have done this in real life. Yikes, real life being stranger than fiction and all...

I am glad Thursday made it alive through another season. 

Poor Morse, not only is his life in danger again he realizes he is in love with his mentor's daughter right before she leaves. He doesn't seem to have any luck in the romance department. I hope he finds love eventually.  I am not a watcher of the older Morse series so I don't know.

(edited)

I'm more inclined to think that Morse doesn't particularly recognize a need for women or a woman in his life until something -- like the terror of the bank hostage stituation -- get his juices flowing and then he sort of  "imprints" (like baby ducks) on the nearest attractive woman (unfortunate her) until such time as he goes back to being an emotionally self-sufficient, highly principled, intelligent man (with possibly a relatively low sex drive). 

We saw Morse endlessly courting women who were not terribly interested in him. He saw their virtues and found them interesting. He wanted to have a "relationship" or at least reliable female companionship. They thought he was dull and even lacking and/or sad. In most cases, I suspected the relationships were platonic.  Endeavor is still young enough and game enough for a "roll in the hay" but his ability to "attach" and/or place another person in a central position in his life, not.yet. and probably not.ever. 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

I'm more inclined to think that Morse doesn't particularly recognize a need for women or a woman in his life until something -- like the terror of the bank hostage stituation -- get his juices flowing and then he sort of  "imprints" (like baby ducks) on the nearest attractive woman (unfortunate her) until such time as he goes back to being an emotionally self-sufficient, highly principled, intelligent man (with possibly a relatively low sex drive). 

We saw Morse endlessly courting women who were not terribly interested in him. He saw their virtues and found them interesting. He wanted to have a "relationship" or at least reliable female companionship. They thought he was dull and even lacking and/or sad. In most cases, I suspected the relationships were platonic.  Endeavor is still young enough and game enough for a "roll in the hay" but his ability to "attach" and/or place another person in a central position in his life, not.yet. and probably not.ever. 

This is why I can't watch Inspector Morse. He just seems so pathetic. 

• Love 1

I found it preposterous that Joan would sneak out the next morning -- yes, eventually want to get away, but the physical trauma of the hostage-taking and the psychological trauma of holding someone dying, being held at gunpoint, and watching someone else (Morse) be one second away from death (in the bank) would make one be terrified of being outside home, or even outside bed.  She would still be shaking the next day. (And not to go to the funeral of the co-worker who was killed?)

I thought the professor was quite disagreeable, telling Morse that he (Morse) was "pitiable" in his final year.  And so smug at the end, telling Morse that the robbers were "not like us".  Ugh.  I hope the "three weeks left" for Thursday was either a fib to the robbers, or resolved by the magical bullet/shrapnel ejection.  And I did not understand the scene at the end. Was Thursday blaming Morse, rejecting Morse, or something else?  It felt very cold. 

I had noticed the blond wife/accomplice looking quite perturbed in the corner of the basement as Morse was figuring out the code.  And was the robber gang just a completely separate operation from the organized crime ring in town?  I thought they were connected, but now realize they were not, or the blonde would have not been caught up in it. 

This was supposedly referencing Dog Day Afternoon (see Media thread), so I expected one or more robbers to be killed.  And presumably they eventually will catch the driver?  Good recovery for Trewlove!  I did love the look on her face when Morse asked "Are you doing anything tonight?"  There is someone who will be happy to comfort him. 

(edited)

Preface that I do know the entire canon very well.

Morse has a very complex relationship with women IMO.  Firstly he has no trouble "landing birds" and they don't find him "dull and even lacking and/or sad" (frustrating often yes). Unfortunately for him he tends to pick interesting  but often criminally oriented women (be they the criminals or the victims).  I think he's also very painfully aware that his career is a major obstacle for any kind of permanent relationship.  We don't know what happened with Monica (dammit) but I have to assume they did talk about his work was important to him (ie he wouldn't give it up) and it would always be dangerous and neither could deal with trying to manage that and the relationship (they were talking about marriage).

As regards inviting Trewlove out for the evening that was a barely veiled doing something for the case IMO, following immediately on from the bingo discussion.  Actually it cracked me up the thought of him taking her to the bingo hall, but I guess in the 60s bingo wasn't just for old ladies and retirees, lol.

Edited by DHDancer
(edited)

FWIW, I was referring to the 50-year-old Morse than than the 30-year-old Endeavor. Many of Morse's women confessed that they only wanted a shoulder to cry on or someone to pay them a bit of attention, that they had rather led him on out of convenience and several, he discovered painfully, were seeing someone else "romantically" while they were allowing him to escort them around to the opera or the occasional dinner.  I think Morse was also perhaps overconsiderate that several had been traumatized in some way or another, so he was never one to rush anything ever. 

Women often do not come out looking well in Morse. Thus far, in Endeavor, his women are generally remarkably wholesome and ordinary -- the nurse, Thursday's daughter. I did wonder if the blond-with-brown eyebrows was eitther written for that actress or some call out to some later (Morse) character. Was her allure (to the undergraduate Endeavor) supposed to be her frank sexuality with her Harlow hair framing a baby face coupled with her short tight skirt?  Regardless, I'd guess she stood out in the crowd of serious female colleagues. 

I found Morse difficult in my 30's but as I got older and tired of "the game" I found him rather noble for his optimism (such as it was) and his persistence 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, officetemp said:

Wasn't Joan involved with Jakes at one time (with Jakes asking Morse to cover for him on one occasion when Thursday happened to show up at the same club/pub where Jakes had gone on a date with Joan)?  I don't recall any explanation being given about why Joan/Jakes went their separate ways, though it's perfectly possible I wasn't paying attention at the time.  Are we now supposed to believe that Morse went on pining for Joan for decades after she left?

Strange is verging on the edge of pomposity. 

Joan's involvement with Jakes ended right there when he couldn't keep his hands to himself. IIRC Joan told Morse when he walked her home she thought going out with Jakes might be a good idea because her father couldn't oppose her seeing a copper but apparently there apparently were coppers and coppers.

Strange has been ticking me off a lot lately. Get a hold of yourself, matey.

14 hours ago, SusanSunflower said:

yeah, I though Joan as a designated no-go-zone was established in the first season ... seriously, you do not mess with your supervisor's/mentor's daughter  (or your best friend's sister for that matter) 

Same ep as above, Thursday thought Joan had been at the club with Morse and asked her to treat her well instead of telling him to keep his hands off his daughter.

9 hours ago, lordonia said:

Did we know before that he's a gambler and in debt?

Do we know he is? I've never read the books and didn't pay attention when my grandmother watched IM in the 80s, so I was wondering if he was gambling himself or if he was paying off his father's debt considering he apparently also sends money to his stepmother every month. His father told him to bet on a horse when he asked if there was anything he could do which sounds as if betting would have been an abosolute priority for him.

3 hours ago, DHDancer said:

We don't know what happened with Monica (dammit) but I have to assume they did talk about his work was important to him (ie he wouldn't give it up) and it would always be dangerous and neither could deal with trying to manage that and the relationship (they were talking about marriage).

It's been a while since I saw 3.01 (I'm in Europe), but if I am not mixing things up, when Morse got out of prison, he cut all ties and left. Didn't Monica tell Thursday she had a number she was only to use in emergencies and that Morse didn't want to be contacted/found? It's a pity though they didn't get back together when he returned, Monica was great.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Sonja said:

Do we know he is? I've never read the books and didn't pay attention when my grandmother watched IM in the 80s, so I was wondering if he was gambling himself or if he was paying off his father's debt considering he apparently also sends money to his stepmother every month.

Did this episode say Morse is a gambler?  I missed that.  Also, where was it noted that he sends money to his stepmother?  He has a sister in the later "Morse" series, but I do not think we have heard her mentioned yet?

I've never read the books -- not that interested -- and wondered as to how much Morse's demeanor with his failed attempts at gallant courtship was rather resigned disappointment (rather than pitifiul heartbreak, etc.)  My own experience is that after a certain age almost all eligible come with baggage (including me) and intimate relations ("Tell me about yourself") tend to dredge up a lot of stuff I'd rather avoid.  It is a teevee show and book series so expectations that many characters will continue from one installment to the next -- while probable in real life -- isn't going to happen much. 

I didn't see the Endeavor/gambling link and suspect that's seriously frowned upon in police officers (so done strictly on the down-low). I'd think he'd be studying racing forms, not doing crossword puzzle. 

I suddenly wondered if Morse used his various "women" to deflect matchmakers and overly eager women with designs on him . Indeed there is great utility in being able to honestly say, "I"m seeing someone." I've been told that a well-employed unattached, heterosexual male over the age of 40 is often besieged. 

No, this is a fictional character, not a real person, and part of the narrative about this character is that he is destined lifelong to remain unattached, despite his reaching out to various (and often inappropriate for different reasons) love interests -- we saw the later years of his apparent yearning for attachment, always thwarted, and now we are seeing the missed or rejected opportunities that led to those later years.  It shows an early pattern of attraction/infatuation and derailment, consistent with the later years.  This also shows us that he was considered attractive, and mostly unaware of that until it was pointed out to him.  (See "Mrs. Robinson" in "Arcadia"!) 

• Love 1

I am not sure if I was supposed to be coming to the realization that he was in love with Joan at the same time that Morse was, but I was not convinced and annoyed by it. I do agree that it is setting us up for Morse's later infatuation that he has had with women or his relationship struggles later in his life.

I liked the rest of the episode ok, but this season has been my worst thus far.

• Love 1

Morse is not a gambler: all the gambling stuff was related to Dr Lorimer (professor) who was a gambler badly in debt.  The carbon copy notebook recorded all his bets (horse names and stake) so Lorimer/Nina needed to get their hands on it to remove the record.

I did get a kick out of Trewlove calling "House" (aka "Bingo") and winning -- so she got something out of the evening, lol.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Morse (adult) epitomizes "once bitten, twice shy." My impression is that younger Morse is intimacy-shy, perhaps even naïve. He's fully occupied with his work, satisfied to be fully occupied and not eager to make his "next conquest" unhappy as he has made all who came before her or to be subject to the guilt and recriminations. (Strains of "why can't a woman be more like a man" echo in the background) 

The adult Morse is not looking to settle down and get married. The young Endeavor is looking at Thursday to see how it might be done. If it turns out that Endeavor and the Trewlove, the too pretty, too smart blond officer have a torrid romance, intend to marry before she dies tragically, I'd be only surprised that they decided to "go there" but also not...

Mature Morse is looking for a female friend, someone to share his life with -- concerts, holidays (I'd add vacations, etc. but that seems a stretch because I doubt Morse ever takes vacations). Not necessarily to cohabit with, until, unless he lives long enough to retire (perish the thought, and we know he doesn't).  I am reminded of  Adam Dalgliesh who married, had a few rocky years of marriage versus career before tragedy neatly removed the conflict. He was bewitchingly untouchable, whereas mature Morse is quite willing to be chatted up, flirted with, etc. 

Morse likes women and he's not gay (thank you very much). Whether he suffers from low-testosterone/low sex drive or is just traumatized by his past, IDK. Somehow I don't think it's a matter of "low self-esteem" or lack of self-confidence. YMMV.  

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 3

One thing I like about this early Morse and the depiction of him is that is shows how his interior Oxford mind became an interior policeman's mind.  While many faculty and students have lively personal lives, Oxford is one of those places on earth that promotes the life of the mind, and some faculty and students spend their days in contemplation, writing, and problem-solving to the exclusion of everything else.  Mathematicians and historians who are deep in their thoughts see nothing but the equations and documents in front of their eyes, even when they are looking at you.  The early Morse does the same thing with his cases -- he looks at the people around him, but mostly he is just seeing the elements of his cases dance in front of his eyes and play in his mind.  Sometimes you can see him snap out of his reverie.  I can see how he would have been a good Oxford scholar (despite what his dick advisor said to him in this episode), lost in history or philosophy or acrostics! 

• Love 8

I'm so happy there is a forum here for Endeavour!  I have watched the trio backwards with Inspector Morse being the first series I watched on Netflix.  Second series was Inspector Lewis, and now Endeavour. Of the 3 series, this is my favorite. I don't think Endeavour resembles the Morse of later years at all, but both are delightful in their own way.

I've heard lots of complaints that Amazon drops series like these with no warning.

just a note that Amazon Prime carries Acorn TV as a subscription for $5/month.  It works seamlessly with the Amazon streaming site, and my nearly new Samsung TV is not compatible with Acorn. Morse, Lewis and Endeavour have moved there.  

I think this is just an outstanding show!  I can't wait for Season 4....

I may be in the minority, but this was my least favorite series.  I was not particularly interested in any  of the stories, and I am a little confused. Are we to believe that Morse has wanted to be involved with Thursday's daughter?  Was she running away with someone or on her own?  Do we interpret the last scene as Thursday being angry or disgusted with Morse because he believes he knows something or had something to do with it? 

• Love 1