Type keyword(s) to search

S32: Julia Sokolowski

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

As a BU alum I feel it is my duty to support this fellow Terrier. She does though have a MAJOR uphill climb being that she is the youngest woman to ever appear on the show, still 18 at the beginning of filming. Her age is her biggest asset and her biggest liability. It is an asset in that if she can make it make it through the pre merge I think she can go deep in this game as nobody will think of her as a threat. The liability being if nobody sees her as a threat than they are probably not going to be impressed with her gameplay enough to award her the win. Bottom line she has to make big moves. The good thing is she is a big fan of the show and seems very much aware of that.

http://dailyfreepress.com/2016/01/22/bu-sophomore-to-compete-on-survivor-as-youngest-ever-female/

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

When the cast was leaked and I saw the first photo of Julia, I had a much different impression of her than I do now.  She seems nice.  Sometimes super fans can get themselves into big trouble by making moves too soon and trying to take control.  If she isn't a physical liability, I think she could go far, assuming she doesn't ruffle any feathers, doesn't try and make big moves too soon aimed at the wrong person, or isn't a pawn vote that ends up getting blindsided because someone flipped.  For her right now I think it could go either way.  I do hope we get some good game play this season, though.

she is the youngest woman to ever appear on the show, still 18 at the beginning of filming.

This site lists oldest and youngest players per season, with Brandon Hantz and Spencer Duhm being listed as 19 on their seasons, so doesn't this make her the youngest person to ever appear on the show?  (not challenging you or the article, just hoping someone with an encyclopedic Survivor memory has the answer immediately to hand).  http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/08/survivor-contestant-average-age/

This site lists oldest and youngest players per season, with Brandon Hantz and Spencer Duhm being listed as 19 on their seasons, so doesn't this make her the youngest person to ever appear on the show?  (not challenging you or the article, just hoping someone with an encyclopedic Survivor memory has the answer immediately to hand).  http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2015/08/survivor-contestant-average-age/

Well according to Survivor Wiki it looks like Spencer didn't turn 19 until about a week after filming ended for his season. Julia turned 19 about a week into filming season 32.  So he has her beat by about  a month.

Well according to Survivor Wiki it looks like Spencer didn't turn 19 until about a week after filming ended for his season. Julia turned 19 about a week into filming season 32.  So he has her beat by about  a month.

Thanks for figuring that out--so really the site I quoted above should have Spencer down as 18, not 19, if on the show he was 18!  And I guess it means that in addition to being the youngest woman, she's the second-youngest ever.

Overall I thought Julia had a very good first episode. Yes she wasn't shown much (which I expected) but what was shown was extremely positive. Her one and only confessional was pretty damn good:

"here’s a little bit of a connotation that comes with being in a sorority. People underestimate you. They think that’s all you do and they think that’s how you get through life, you know, like, the way that you look. But I’m really not like that at all. I can pull my own weight and I’ll be able to make connections instantly with these people. I definitely want to stick with Anna and pull in Michele. I think that the three of us could do very well."

I like how in the confessional she talks about being underestimated and then the edit backs that up by showing her forming a tight alliance with Anna and then saying she wanted to "pull in" Michelle and that three of them could do very well together. This confessional was then  followed up by Anna saying that Juila told her about Caleb being on BB and that this made Anna trust Julia.  Anna and Julia were then shown being very competent and solving the puzzle for their tribe. Again, not a lot of content for her this episode but it was all very positive. Julia to me is the most intriguing person on this season for me in that she is so young but yet Jeff has had nothing but glowing things to say about her in every interview of his I have read in the pregame. For him to lay such praise on a young player, especially a female one, really stood out to me. It should be interesting to see how this plays out this season.  

Oh and I love the fact she is wearing a BU hat on the island,

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 4

Purely OT, I'd love to be a part of a Survivor fantasy pool, where can you find those?

The one I'm in is part of a Livejournal community. It's too late now to sign up for this season, but I think they do it for every season, so if you have a LJ pm me and I'll give you the link!

Count me in as a Julia fan, and I hope she isn't someone who barely gets any screen time this season.  Considering Probst's hype for her (and he usually doesn't hype women with that type of admiration), I have high hopes she'll get a much more visible edit.  I do think she's right that she'll be underestimated, and I really hope it works in her favor.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

She is my early winner pick. She has gotten at least one confessional in both episodes, despite not having a significant story involving her. Plus, she was one of the puzzle solvers in the first episode. Now watch her go home next episode...

Julia is definitely on my radar as a potential winner due mainly to her first confessional about being underestimated and then having back her up by showing her from an alliance and doing very in the puzzle during the challenge.  

One thing I have forgotten to mention is the fact that in Probst's cast assessment he said that Julia was keeping her real age a secret from the other players because she felt the others might not take someone who just turned 19 year old too seriously. It will be interesting to see if this comes up at all this season.

Edited by LanceM
(edited)

Not much to say after this episode. All 3 Beauty women were once again pretty low key which my or may not be a bad thing as we were reminded once again how tight these three are, still though I'd like to see more and I assume we will start getting it once the swap hits.  I do think they will go deep in this game. But what little we did see was once again positive. I like how they showed Julia being very emphatic towards Tai when he was crying over the chicken which kind of goes along with Probst's closing comments tonight about emotional intelligence being the key to going far in this game. Then of course she did very well in the challenge tonight. According to Nick's secret scene she flew through that portion with the ball. Anna in her secret scene mentioned that Julia really wanted to compete in the challenge this week since she had to sit out last IC  which is nice to hear that she is not playing passively.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1

Because you have primed me for it, maybe, I thought this was a huge episode for the Beauty Gal Alliance, considering they didn't go to tribal.  They were mentioned in the Previously On.  They were shown pulling in Caleb.  They were shown empathizing with Tai.  Julia killing it on the challenge was definitely shown.  I think this was a bigger edit than they got last week!  Let's go, Beauty Gals!  (clap clap)

• Love 3

Because you have primed me for it, maybe, I thought this was a huge episode for the Beauty Gal Alliance, considering they didn't go to tribal.  They were mentioned in the Previously On.  They were shown pulling in Caleb.  They were shown empathizing with Tai.  Julia killing it on the challenge was definitely shown.  I think this was a bigger edit than they got last week!  Let's go, Beauty Gals!  (clap clap)

They were also shown fully having Nick's number!

• Love 3

I still couldn't tell you the name of any of the Beauty women, but the fact that they're hanging out with the Douchebros makes me disinclined to root for them.

Exactly. Although Anna isn't in that pic so I'm holding out hope that she's not a member of their posse.

Well definitely and interesting episode and night.  Given that we are getting the swap next episode and based on the pics above I am going to guess that Julia and Michele end up on a tribe with Jason and Scott.  I fear that they are going to be separated from Anna and I think she may not make the merge. While I would prefer a different alliance, if they i fact align, I can see how this could be an advantageous one as whoever is sitting in the FTC  with one of them would undoubtedly walk away with the million.  On to last night I was very disappointed we didn't get a scene of the Beauties back on the beach after Caleb's evacuation.  I guess since they were trying to cram in an IC and TC they didn't have time.  Anyway this is what we would have seen:

Nice to see that Julia appears right in the center of that alliance and not some mindless follower.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 2

When did Abi-Maria joins this cast?  Seriously I didn't notice this at first until I saw someone point it out on twitter but yeah the resemblance is uncanny.  Even Abi herself refers to Julia as Mini-me on twitter.

http://www.annasurvivor.com/#!untitled/zoom/t3i28/dataItem-ilrjetn2

Back to this season I will be curious to if there will be any followup next episode for Julia's time on the Brawn beach.  I suspect what the editors are doing what they have done so many times before which is to show a woman (and it is always a woman) at the lowest of their lows only to see her rebound and thrive in the game but usually falling just short at the end.  I suspect that is what is happening here.

Quite the ride fro Julia this week.  From showing her in tears on Brawn beach on the POS segment to the end of the episode when she was all smiles from having survived her first tribal council.  She impressed me this week,  She as shown to be a gamer and someone who seems to have a good ability to read people.  When Tai suggested that they needed to talk to Joe in order to get him to flip she correctly pointed that it was Aubry that they needed to talk to her as she was most likely to turn on Peter.  They of course did just that letting Aubry know that Peter was gunning for here and indeed she was ended being right when Aubry did in fact write Peter's name down at tribal council. Speaking of which I was very impressed at how she handled her first tribal council. We have seen so many first time players bury themselves at tribal by saying the wrong things and basically talking too much. Julia did not do that. Even though her name was on the chopping on the block she seemed very calm and collected throughout Probst's questioning.  Her answers were pretty short but they were very effective pointing out that the Brian's tribe was fractured and that it was Peter who was the first person to her on the beach to talk strategy.  I think I see now why Probst called her the "sharpest" teenager they have cast on the show.  I don't think she is going to win this game but I haven't totally eliminated her yet.  I do see being an end gamer though probably finishing anywhere from 3rd-6th.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 4

I agree that Julia did well last week. I was particularly impressed that she seemed to be talking to everyone as soon as she arrived, but managed to avoid the accusations of "scrambling" or "playing too hard" that usually accompany players in her position. She's definitely one to watch.

• Love 1

In a cast full of unlikable blowhards who think they control the game and everyone in it, I'd love to see Julia play as low-key as possible (she did pretty good in the challenge, which is encouraging) and quietly make it to the end.  More specifically, make it to the end with Bench and Bounty and take the money away from both of them while they sit there completely befuddled as to how on earth a small blonde girl bested both of them.  That would be the best poetic justice ever.

• Love 1

I have been really thinking Julia was the winner but I think after that ep I have to let go of that. Her edit is nonexistent yet we do have evidence that she's doing a lot and making some good moves so it makes little sense to me that she'd so invisible. I can't see them making a winner so invisible when there are definitely things they could be showing.

Oh and it really surprised me that we weren't shown her and Michele reuniting at merge. The biggest edit pre-tribe swap was the Beauty women's alliance so I am very perplexed by them not showing us what happened when the two remaining members met back up.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 3

I was a little surprised at that as well and based on the press photos from this episode they were definitely hanging out together. In fact Michele tweeted a picture prior to the episode last night of the two of them hanging out with Cydney on the beach with the caption "girl gang"  so I am guessing Michele probably thought the three of them would get some focus last night (and may be they will going forward especially if Cydney turns on Jason/Scot as the preview suggested).

As far as Julia goes I see no way she can win at this point based on the edit.  I do think she is playing a good quiet game though and surprisingly seems to have a lot of influence with the other players as it was her suggestion that they needed to target Aubry last night, a plan which the others in the alliance endorsed.  It was the same last week when she correctly identified that it was Aubry and not Joe that was more likely to flip.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 1
peachmangosteen, on 31 Mar 2016 - 07:10 AM, said:

Oh and it really surprised me that we weren't shown her and Michele reuniting at merge. The biggest edit pre-tribe swap was the Beauty women's alliance so I am very perplexed by them not showing us what happened when the two remaining members met back up.

Yeah, me too!  I kept expecting it, like when you're watching a movie and you know the big satisfying moment when they finally kiss is coming up.  It would show Michele talking with Nick, with Debbie, looking unhappy, wandering off...aha!  I thought.  Now we'll get a strategy session where she and Julia flip the entire game on its head and it's gonna be awesome!  But no.  It didn't even look like they were working together at all.  I felt let down like when the Exile Alliance vanished into thin air in Tocantins.

But I sort of felt the same way about Malcolm and Denise in Philippines; I really expected a great reunion scene there, and it didn't really happen.  Possibly a weakness of reality vs fiction; the people on the island don't need to re-confirm their ties and probably don't want to make their connection obvious.  Maybe?

I wouldn't write Julia off yet, necessarily.  The fact that there was no tribal tonight might mean that they showed inconsequential strategizing (Nick as decoy?) this time, and hid the real story for when there's an actual vote, to keep the suspense.

• Love 1

That stood out to me as well.

I'm reserving judgment, though, until the next episode.

If their edit for a given episode ran overlong, TPTB have been known sometimes to sneak that kind of stuff in flashback-style on the immediately following episode.

If it doesn't show up on next week's episode, though, I'd consider The Great Beauty Alliance DOA.

ETA: Perhaps Anna was the linchpin holding that alliance together...?

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anna was definitely the leader of the Beauty Gals as both Michele and Julia identified her as their closest ally in the game (Anna in her interview named Julia).  That being said I find it hard to believe they hyped up that alliance so much in order to do what, show them splinter at the swap? Like that's it?  Somehow I think there is more to the story than this and since I believe Julia and Michele are both end game players we may yet see this play out. Perhaps bringing Cydney into the mix ?

106308_D21357b.jpg

I wished they would have shown this scene last night as represented by this photo as would have liked to know what they were discussing out in the water. And on a shallow note I must say that the island is treating both these ladies well.

106308_D21682b.jpg

Edited by LanceM

I'm always surprised by the "you're friends IRL with someone I hate on TV so I hate you too" thing.  I haven't seen any reason to have any problem with Julia whatsoever, and her being friends with Cupcake and the Benchwarmer doesn't change that.  Even if they're as bad as they seem on TV, guilt by association is dumb.  Nor do I see any reason to assume she's going to flip for no reason at all?  I mean if it helps her game, yes I hope she does flip.  But I think it's weird and sort of crazy to be like "well of course Julia will go back to the big obnoxious dudes becuz she's like just a girl lol hair flip!"  She's young, she smiles a lot, but I haven't seen anything to indicate she has ever done anything but play the game for herself, and quite effectively, so far.

• Love 1

I'm always surprised by the "you're friends IRL with someone I hate on TV so I hate you too" thing.  I haven't seen any reason to have any problem with Julia whatsoever, and her being friends with Cupcake and the Benchwarmer doesn't change that.  Even if they're as bad as they seem on TV, guilt by association is dumb. 

Yea for me I can't like someone who actually thinks Scot and Jason are like super awesome guys. I just can't do it. Maybe if she would acknowledge that they both are assholes then I could overlook it. Plus Julia was hanging out with Dan fucking Foley, so I just don't trust her!

But I think it's weird and sort of crazy to be like "well of course Julia will go back to the big obnoxious dudes becuz she's like just a girl lol hair flip!"  

I don't think she's going to go back to Scot/Jason because "she's like just a girl lol hair flip!" I think it because she appears much closer to them than she does Cydney, Aubry, Joe, or Tai.

• Love 1

Plus Julia was hanging out with Dan fucking Foley, so I just don't trust her!

Wait, what? Oh hell no. I can see bonding with Scot and Jason based on sharing a season together -- I mean, I don't condone it, but I understand it -- but Dan Foley? Nope nope nope nope. I don't care how young she is, she's old enough to know better than to validate that asshole.

• Love 5

I wanted to see what type of response Jason Kyle was getting on Twitter about next week's preview, and I saw a picture of Julia, Jason and Dan like 3 posts down. I immediately had to close my browser. Was not expecting Julia to be hanging out Dan.

Jason and Dan on the other hand, makes perfect sense.

• Love 2

I had hoped Dan would never come out from under that rock he was under. Him and Jason together is a disgusting combo. I do question Julia's taste, hanging with those two (also seems like she's close to Rodney).

• Love 4

Jason and his wife were in Boston so Julia met up with them as they all appear to be friends. Dan on the other hand is probably not friends with her but since he is showed up to pick up the Jason's at the airport she ending meeting him and taking a picture with him. Big deal.  I doubt she will see him again until they inevitably meet up at the next charity event which appears to be Rodney's bowling event that he is having I believe next month.  And yes Julia and Aubry did hang out with Rodney last week and watched the episode together. Whatever. Doesn't bother me at all.  This is what Survivors do especially during the season. Dan was also at a viewing party with Anna and Michele about a month ago as well. 

• Love 3

I do question Julia's taste, hanging with those two (also seems like she's close to Rodney).

Oh geez, the trifecta of assholes! With Rodney actually being the lesser of evils!

I was looking through the extra clips yesterday since I haven't done that yet this season and I noticed that there are a lot of Julia confessionals. I thought it was interesting.

Danhole: Hey, Julia, let's get a picture together!

Julia: Yeah, no. I'm good.

Then we wouldn't even be talking about it.

For the record, I have a picture of a 14-year-old me with a 17-year-old Scott Baio and after looking at his twitter timeline 38 years later for 45 seconds, I renounce.

• Love 8

Good lord.

I have a picture of myself with XYZ (insert whoever here). Are we best buds? Shit no. Do we hang out all the time? Hell no.

I have a picture of myself with Alice Cooper - but I'm pretty certain neither of us has the other on speed dial.

• Love 4

I just checked out Julia's twitter for the first time and noticed that she doesn't have any of these pics on there, not even retweeted. So that's good. However, she does have animated balloons that pop up when you start scrolling and that alone might be enough to make me hate her. 

Danhole: Hey, Julia, let's get a picture together!

Julia: Yeah, no. I'm good.

Then we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Exactly. Although Julia's strikes me as far too nice to ever do that, even if it was, like, the devil asking.

• Love 3

I just checked out Julia's twitter for the first time and noticed that she doesn't have any of these pics on there, not even retweeted. So that's good. However, she does have animated balloons that pop up when you start scrolling and that alone might be enough to make me hate her. 

lol. Well it is her birthday today so may be that just a temporary thing.

So, Dan Foley posted a picture on twitter of the big gathering the other night and not surprisingly  Julia was not the only Survivor from this season hanging out with Dan and Jason.  Aubry was there as well

• Love 1