Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

Patrick & Robin make love. That's from yesterday's show. I almost fell asleep watching that.

I CANNOT see Jason Thompson as Billy Abbott. He's very lethargic.

Wow, off-topic but Robin gained a lot of weight.

• Love 4

I am so not open to a new Billy. FOUR Billys in two years? And all front-burner? It's nuts. Plus this guy describes himself as a very close friend of JFP's; and she was determined to get him on "her" show so the whole thing stinks. I don't wish him well. It's not personal. I'm sure he's a good guy (and he's Canadian -- I usually am partial to fellow Canadians) but he's not Billy Abbott. Unlike under Bill Bell he will not have the benefit of good writing or slow integration into the show, so I'm expecting this recast to suck. I want it to suck and then I want JFP fired (followed by KS, SB and then PRATT) for turning a 42-year-old show into her personal fiefdom.

And based on the above, NOTBilly and Victoria are going to fall into comas during love scenes. Wow, can't wait.

When Terry Lester left, he had a fairly low-key exit. Then a few weeks later Peter Bergman came on and moved into story slowly as the writers watched to see who he clicked with. He wasn't thrown FRONT AND CENTRE into the midst of a big ass emotional story. Plus, Bill Bell wrote to an actor's strengths. Pratt can't write at all.

These show runners are morons.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 14

I'm willing to give JT a chance before I start wishing for him to be fired. He doesn't look like an Abbott but that's not a huge problem for me. I've seen him on GH and I think he's decent/good (depending on the writing), certainly adequate enough for this 3rd grade level writing. At this point, BM could come back and I'm not sure how much good it would do. There's only so much you can do with this kind of material. 

• Love 8

The actor who played Joe is expecting his first child, a son, and also won't be back in GC looks like. He has some prime time gigs taped and I always had the impression he was a bit wealthy.

He got a gig on Grey's Anatomy as a doctor!  Yes he is a proud stepfather and they are expecting.  

• Love 5

Wow, off-topic but Robin gained a lot of weight.

Actually, Kimberly McCullough had just lost her baby (22 weeks along) shortly before she returned to film these scenes so that she could usher out Jason Thompson's exit and that Robin and Patrick would get their Happily Ever After.

• Love 4

British Producer Mal Young working at YR.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2016/01/british-producer-mal-young-working-at.html

From 1997-2004, Young served as Controller of Continuing Drama Series for the BBC's in-house production arm. In this role, he was responsible for overseeing the network's continuing episodic drama series, including EastEnders, Doctor Who, Doctors (which he co-created), Casualty, Holby City (which he created). He also created Family Affairs for Channel 5.

The Liverpool native was very familiar with the soap opera genre when he came to work for the BBC, having spent 12 years, starting in the early 1980s working in every job at one time or another for Brookside, which launched on Channel 4 in November 1982. Brookside was praised for tackling tough issues, such as child abuse and rape, and received notoriety for a lesbian kiss.

While working as BBC Controller, Young shared his thoughts on what makes a successful soap.

"I made my name making popular dramas. When I got to this department, I decided to put the two biggest shows [Casualty is the other] at the centre. The biggest show, EastEnders is [made] 17 miles away at the [bBC Elstree] studio. Although it's still physically 17 miles away, it's in our hearts and minds. The trick behind a successful soap-don't employ anyone there who doesn't believe passionately in it."

In 2004, Young was honored at the British Soap Awards for his "creative contribution to British soap." At the end of 2004, he became Head of Drama at independent production company 19Television Limited, part of Simon Fuller's 19 Entertainment.

In a 2011 story for BBC News about the decline of the daytime soap opera genre in the United States, Young said he "US viewers would buy into a Coronation Street or EastEnders set in small town America. I think they're ready to go on story-telling journeys in drama and see themselves"

"I think we might be seeing the end of an era," added Young, who was developing a new primetime soap opera in Los Angeles at the time. "Ratings for these shows are dropping, especially amongst younger female viewers - and making reality shows is cheaper. "It sends out a warning sign that you can never take the audience for granted."

In the past year, Young has worked as a story consultant for BBC Scotland soap River City.

Y&R has not announced what role Young, who splits his time between London and L.A., will have with the show. He could be anything from a new producer to a short-term story consultant. Whatever the case, it's a good sign that daytime's top-rated drama is looking for fresh ideas.

• Love 6

Eastenders hasn't aired here in years, but I used to LOVE it. I'm very cautiously optimistic by this news. Hopefully, it means Pratt and JFP are on their way out and that CBS is actually invested in keeping the show on the air.

"...you can never take the audience for granted."

A good sign, right?

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 10

^^^ As a bowler bearing, welly wearing, brolly carrying, tea bleedin' limey Brit, I am unashamedly biased. But yes, I would agree it is a very good sign indeed.

Edited by klopek
  • Love 8

Ah, Snap, another sign of good taste..British soaps!

Never got into Eastenders, but I've got decades of Coronation Street under my belt, and our love affair continues.

Eastenders hasn't aired here in years, but I used to LOVE it. I'm very cautiously optimistic by this news. Hopefully, it means Pratt and JFP are on their way out and that CBS is actually invested in keeping the show on the air.

"...you can never take the audience for granted."
A good sign, right?

There are a lot of reasons why UK soaps are still strong--two of the main ones would be Mr Mal's statement above, and their dependence on and basis in character-writing. Now, I know that C-Street does feature a yearly disaster, during which we all admire the production values... [Can't beat a derailed overhead streetcar/trolley dropping down on the Rovers Return.] These, I could live without, but what keeps me watching are the characters. Oh, and a third thing not mentioned above: the calibre of the actors involved! No comparison with US soaps there.

^^^ As a bowler bearing, welly wearing, brolly carrying, tea bleedin' limey Brit, I am unashamedly biased. But yes, I would agree it is a very good sign indeed.

Fingers crossed, rosary beads in play, chicken feathers smouldering...

• Love 10

To be honest, I am almost to afraid to get excited about this change, but if it means the end of Chuckles at the very least, that will be a large improvement.  This show has to get back to character driven stories, it's always what made it so special.....and trim the fricking cast!!!!

• Love 10

How in the world will somebody who said, "you can never take the audience for granted" be able to work with Chuckles?

He and JFP were proven failures before they came to Y&R. That's why I'm kind of blown away to hear that a new hire has not come from one of the defunct soaps. It's a little odd, though, that they aren't saying what his role is.

Coronation Street has never aired where I am, but I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I haven't seen Eastenders in about 25 years, because the tiny PBS channel that used to show it here couldn't afford how much the BBC started demanding once the show became wildly popular. But I still have vivid memories of the characters. Last year, I saw a clip on Youtube that showed

Pauline's death

. And even though I haven't seen the show in all these years, I was crushed by that. That's kind of impressive.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

Eva Longoria was on the Talk to promote her new show about telenovellas.  They played a clip of her as Isabella on Y/R when she tried to kill the Bug. They asked her if her Y/R experience was useful in her new show and she said yes, especially the behind the scenes stuff.  That there is more drama behind the scenes than in front of the the camera!  She then said that Marc Cherry had always noted that in daytime the divas are male and she said she agreed with him, and gave the example of a male diva star refusing to come out of his dressing room.  And she also talked about younger actresses trying push out older actresses, etc.

• Love 12

^^^^^The mere fact that he is not a member of this incestuous merry-go-round who go from show to show and leave devastation in their wake gives me a glimmer of hope.

I share your glimmer of hope. We loyal (stubborn) viewers shall NEVER surrender to Pratt!

“As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.”

nMp7wYw.jpg

• Love 9

I'm Irish, and I would happily raise the Union Jack over the CBS daytime studio for a change from Pratt.

Maybe someone should do a really good soap about a soap, i.e. not just another web series. Because really, soaps are a small, quasi-incestuous town unto themselves and are the little league/lower middle class of Hollywood. The DRAMA! to be mined from the true stories alone would drive plot for years.  

Edited by Greta
  • Love 8

I share your glimmer of hope. We loyal (stubborn) viewers shall NEVER surrender to Pratt!

“As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us.”

nMp7wYw.jpg

Hey, klopek! Where did you find this picture of John Abbott and Victor in their younger days? Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 10

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in on-line forums, we shall fight on the comment sections on CBS and soap rags, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the ethernet, we shall defend our beloved Show, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, sweat , Grey Goose, Brandy and Chablis!

• Love 15

Here's some tea. Mishel Morgan/Hilary said when she started Y&R CK/Lily didn't like her. And the entire time the characters were on the outs they were too, later when Lily and Hilary started getting along then they finally did. And now they're friends. That's kinda crazy cuz those character hated each other damn near a year. However I can relate I had coworkers I couldn't stand.

• Love 5

She said from when they met they "didn't care for each other." That gives me the impression CK probably had some attitude and wasn't welcoming and MM just wasn't having it. But when MM was pregnant they became friendly. Probably cuz they had something in common and CK had finally thawed out. LOL

• Love 2

CK thinks she is the MAN!  LOL  Likely hated the competition.....

Definitely. I'm convinced that (early on - before VR went completely off the rails as she has in the past two or three years especially) CK was the driving force behind VR not being brought back as Dru. It was reported, or gossiped in the rags, after she had left that CK didn't like working with her, but I think the reasons being mentioned were that VR wasn't fond of CK and didn't respect her abilities. MAB wanted to get rid of CK and had gone so far as to write her exit via the cancer storyline, but CBS put the kibosh on that. I've actually read differing stories that Bell's target was really DG, but I don't buy that, but there's allegedly something chilly between he and CK as well. Supposedly, Bell didn't want to write for their cheesy brand of romance and decided the best method was to kill one or the other off, but I've thought that her intended sendoff was always CK, and it might have been in the back of her mind that if she got rid of the Lily character, she'd have been free to bring VR back. The timing might have been more opportune back then, but by that time CBS and Sony were beginning to sour on Bell. 

• Love 3

i could never stand ck in the role of lily..

she was supposedly brought up in paris but yet spoke like one of the valley girls.

plus, i loved davetta sherwood when she played the character and was so disappointed when ck was brought back.

• Love 7

Has anybody seen the documentary Making a Murderer on Netflix?  Three odd things:  events took place in Wisconsin, the last name of the accused is Avery and at one point was defended by the Innocence Project.  Sound familiar, lol?

• Love 7

Has anybody seen the documentary Making a Murderer on Netflix?  Three odd things:  events took place in Wisconsin, the last name of the accused is Avery and at one point was defended by the Innocence Project.  Sound familiar, lol?

That's an interesting coincidence(?). I was getting my nails done last week and I was looking through a copy of People, which had a pretty interesting article about a couple of the investigative reports who began digging into the whole thing. This murder was quite some time ago and it's very possible that some of the names from those events surrounding the case could have made their way into this show, especially since the documentary series was probably in development form and production concurrently with Y&R.

• Love 2

Wow! Is this site interesting or what?!! I started at page one and couldn't stop!! 

I always had a feeling that MS was as loathsome off set as she was on, as is, apparently, EB. Life imitating art? 

I also saw Eva Longoria on The Talk when she mentioned all the off-camera drama. The Y&R is a trainwreck. I've been watching off and on ( mostly off these days) since the first episode and I cannot believe how badly this show has degenerated. It's so terrible in so many ways but especially the writing. It is horrendously bad and insulting to it's audience and I don't know how they can possibly restore it to it's former glory. Maybe start by firing all the writers for a start and go from there. I'd also give so many cast members their pink slips. There are way too many useless, stupid, annoying characters that add absolutely NOTHING to the show and they need to be gone.

Again, thanks guys for a most entertaining way to spend an afternoon, that I should have been spending working but this was much more fun.

Oh....what was with the cute bunnies? I didn't read those posts but did see the bunnies as I whizzed by. Sweet.

• Love 11